Stuck accelerator kills 4 in Santee *Recall - Page 2*

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,129 Likes on 2,565 Posts
Those quotes are press releases from CTS, showing there were problems with non-CTS DBW throttles. Again not showing any true mechanical/electronic analysis.

Originally Posted by Majofo
Regarding the brake override, during the first bs recall with the zipties Toyota also campaigned to program a brake override into the system but failed to tell the customer, and instead pushed the floormat as the real issue.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by West6MT
I bet the cars that come in for these metal shim fixes for the pedal get an ECU reflash as well.

I was thinking the same
Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by West6MT
I bet the cars that come in for these metal shim fixes for the pedal get an ECU reflash as well.
Id place money on a reflash being done during the "so called shim service"
Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Those quotes are press releases from CTS, showing there were problems with non-CTS DBW throttles. Again not showing any true mechanical/electronic analysis.
Makes you wonder if toyota is still pulling some sort of coverup
Old 02-13-2010, 01:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Makes you wonder if toyota is still pulling some sort of coverup
I wonder the same, if it was a systematic problem with the ECU i would assume there would be more cases. Would like to see how the Toyota throttle position sensor works (optical encoder, hall effect sensor,...?)
Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 986 Likes on 530 Posts
I wonder the same, if it was a systematic problem with the ECU i would assume there would be more cases. Would like to see how the Toyota throttle position sensor works (optical encoder, hall effect sensor,...?)
Earlier in the thread, the pedal assemblies are broken down and all parts shown. In it, the portion that sends a signal to the ECU is a simple armature and magnet, basically sensing a current difference in position. I don't see this as a cause for failure, if the pedal is indeed not "stuck" in a WOT position.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
It isn't a cause for failure as far as I'm concerned. The brain of Toyota's DBW is housed with a BUNCH of other ECUs and wiring harnesses bundled behind the glovebox...at least it is in the Camry. As far as I know, the DBW's box is not shielded in any way to protect from outside interference. You hit that sucker with the right frequency and it might do things you really don't want it doing.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:38 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by PortlandRL
It isn't a cause for failure as far as I'm concerned. The brain of Toyota's DBW is housed with a BUNCH of other ECUs and wiring harnesses bundled behind the glovebox...at least it is in the Camry. As far as I know, the DBW's box is not shielded in any way to protect from outside interference. You hit that sucker with the right frequency and it might do things you really don't want it doing.
Absolutely. This is why things that emit Radio Frequency (RF) signals should be well shielded. You could easily have 3rd, 5th, 7th order harmonics (basically, multiples of the same signal, just a lot weaker) get into other electronics and wreak havoc.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Yes but they put their products through halt / hass testing with the mtbf / fit rate data available to the general public. You actually think they'd make a public statement like that without having proof? CTS is a big company that supplies components to many companies. Toyota fucked saying their pedals stuck when if fact they don't which is why Toyota's statement was retracted. If you read into the details you can easily see that this recall is just another rouse by Toyota.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Again you're trying to make a fact of the pedals sticking when it fact that has yet to be proven conclusion or not in a public release of failure analysis results.

Also where is the public statement on their data? I cannot find it on their website anywhere.

http://www.ctscorp.com/publications/publicwhatsnew.htm

FWIW, HASS and HALT find some (in most cases a majority) things but not all time related failures.

Originally Posted by Majofo
Yes but they put their products through halt / hass testing with the mtbf / fit rate data available to the general public. You actually think they'd make a public statement like that without having proof? CTS is a big company that supplies components to many companies. Toyota fucked saying their pedals stuck when if fact they don't which is why Toyota's statement was retracted. If you read into the details you can easily see that this recall is just another rouse by Toyota.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mrmako
Earlier in the thread, the pedal assemblies are broken down and all parts shown. In it, the portion that sends a signal to the ECU is a simple armature and magnet, basically sensing a current difference in position. I don't see this as a cause for failure, if the pedal is indeed not "stuck" in a WOT position.

Thanks, here it is again

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/exc...ta-gas-pedals/
Old 02-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMirror
From the Car and Driver editorial -

"if you have a Toyota (or any car), and you don't know to shift to neutral if the engine races unexpectedly, you're going to succumb to what can only be described as natural selection."

What an unbelievably patronizing statement. Apparently Mr. Dushane is too isolated in his road-tester bubble to realize that there are millions of drivers out there that are fully taxed simply by operating their car in its normal state. I can conjure up endless scenarios where a normal driver would panic for at least several seconds under uncontrolled acceleration before thinking to shift into neutral. Even I, as a seasoned well trained driver, would take a few seconds to check-down to that procedure. Would you really expect your dear 'ol granny to be as quick at the helm?

I'm guessing that Mike Dushane is gonna wish he had that particular comment back. He'd do well to keep cute comments like that holstered in light of a situation this serious.
Sadly we took natural selection out of the equation. Our gene pool is so polluted that Im surprised anyone can chew gum and walk at the same time still. We have taken common sense and made it uncommon. A few weeks ago i saw an incident where someone used a drive thru car wash and didnt realize he had to hold the brake to move the gear selector. He was trying to jam the gear selector to drive without hitting the brake for over 5 minutes and never thought to even hit the brake pedal. He ended up causing the 2 cars behind him to hit each other cause he blocked the car wash. He then proceeded to sit under the air dryer for another 5 minutes after he finally figured out how a car works. Sadly this is someone who has been driving over 40 years. The workers had to go up knock on his window tell him he caused an accident and politely told him to leave. SO the 2 people behind him and the car wash gets screwed cause hes a moron. He gets away scott free. Even after all of this he still doesn't blame himself for this incident. He said "well my other car i dont need to hit the brakes so why do I have to in this car." He basically blames the car manufacturer. If ppl cant even get this right how do you think they will react with a stuck accelerator. In the future we will have to all ride trains on fixed tracks only. These are the people we have to drive next to and deal with on a daily basis. This is what happens when you take natural selection out of the equation and let anyone no matter how bad their genes are reproduce.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
not to get off topic but if I hit he guy in front of meat a car wash I would consider myself an idiot.

is that what happened?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,261 Likes on 5,221 Posts
Old 02-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 02-15-2010, 03:06 PM

not to get off topic but if I hit the guy in front of me_at a car wash, I would consider myself an idiot.

is that what happened?
fixed..

My guess is korean sausage + iphone + lots of coffee this morning..
Old 02-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
lol.

Palm Pre refurb with horrible keys for me. It would be nice if the edit button wouldn't disapear after 5 mins
Old 02-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Here's a good one. Apparently, State Farm Insurance saw this trend with Toyota's, and told NHTSA..... Hmmmmm

http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/us-auto-insurer-says-it-warned-on-toyota-in-2007

I'm really getting a bad feeling about that company.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:12 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

I meant to say this a few days ago but haven't gotten around to it. For those believing the Japanese that this is a ploy to increase the sales of American cars, consider the source. During our Cash for Clunkers program last summer, HALF the cars sold under CFC were Japanese and three of those were Toyotas. Not to mention the fact that Japan's own cash for clunkers prohibited people from buying anything other than a Japanese branded car if trading in under the program. They have absolutely no room to criticize our auto industry when they pulled crap like that.

So...keep in mind the source. The hypocrisy continues.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Stupid 5-minute edit.

That should say 'half of the top ten cars sold under CFC'.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
It's amazing that new stuff continues to come out.

Complaints lodged against Toyota’s Corolla
Toyota says it will ‘take action’ if needed over possible power steering issue
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35434118/ns/business-autos/
Sasaki said drivers may feel as though they were losing control over the steering, but it was unclear why. He mentioned problems with the braking system or tires as possible underlying causes of the steering problem. U.S. officials are also investigating the complaints.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMirror
From the Car and Driver editorial -

"if you have a Toyota (or any car), and you don't know to shift to neutral if the engine races unexpectedly, you're going to succumb to what can only be described as natural selection."
I read a story about this yesterday and it made a good point. Some cars like BMW now have funky shifters. Also cars with push button starts are not familiar to most drivers. It's very likely that someone can be in a car and not know how to operate basic controls in an emergency situation. For example, if you borrowed your buddy's car and it had push button start would you think to ask "Hey, if I happen to be driving this car and it gets out of control, how do I turn it off?" Probably not.
I won't be surprised if some legislation comes out detailing that all PRNDL shifters and on/off operation should be standardized. Sure, make it look nice, but it better be familiar to drivers.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

I agree with that, for instance, Ive never driven an SMG car, I look at the controls for that and feel like, WTF is that???

things so vital such as the control of the drivetrain, start/stop of the engine, and throttle/braking should definitely be intuitive and familiar for anyone who steps into any car.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

I'm not going to reread the whole thread, but I thought it was stated that the Toyota linkage in their transmissions was not entirely mechanical. That the shifting was also electronic, hence the inability to just toss the car in neutral.

If I read that wrong, please let me know. I just thought C and D was a bit condescending in their viewpoint.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

More Toyoda BS:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/toyota-denies-safety-risk-coverup-but-president-refuses-to-go-to-us
Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

What a dilhole... Akio Toyoda; you have brought shame to your family's name and everything they worked so hard to create.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I'm not going to reread the whole thread, but I thought it was stated that the Toyota linkage in their transmissions was not entirely mechanical. That the shifting was also electronic, hence the inability to just toss the car in neutral.

If I read that wrong, please let me know. I just thought C and D was a bit condescending in their viewpoint.
I was going to say the same thing.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

I'm tired and feeling a lot funnier than I actually am. Hence, I created this:

Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

For those of you wondering why Toyota would redesign pedals and floor mats even though it wasn't the real problem, here's some leaked internal memos. keeps piling up.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/21/auto...dex.htm?hpt=T1

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A Toyota executive boasted of the compny saving $100 million by negotiating a limited recall for Toyota Camry and Lexus ES cars over a problem that could cause unintended acceleration.

In an internal Toyota (TM) document used as part of a company presentation on its government relations, dated July 6, 2009, the phrase "Negotiated 'equipment' recall on Camry/ES re: [sudden acceleration], saved $100 million+ with no defect found" is among a bullet-pointed list of "wins."

An "equipment" recall is a more limited type of recall, often to repair an accessory or non-essential part of the vehicle.

The presentation was given by Yoshi Inaba, Toyota's top North American executive.

The reference was apparently to a Sept., 2007, recall to secure floor mats that could trap the cars' gas pedals.

In August, 2009, the month following the presentation in which the executive boasted of saving $100 million over a full recall, a family of four was killed in a Lexus with its gas pedal stuck under a floor mat.

In November, 2009, Toyota had full recall to reconfigure the gas pedals of numerous Toyota models to prevent such incidents.
Toyota's troubles: A timeline

Among other "wins" listed were "Avoided investigation on Tacoma rust" and helping win delays in various new federal safety regulations.

A copy of the presentation was provided to the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee which is set to grill Toyota president Akio Toyoda on Wednesday. It is unclear who provided the document to the Committee.

"If anything but the safety of America's drivers influenced the decision-making process, the entire purpose of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will be undermined," said Kurt Bardella, a spokesman for Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), a member of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

Neither a Toyota nor a NHTSA spokesperson was immediately available to comment for this report.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
lol it'e getting even better lol

ttop story at drudge

Internal Toyota documents derided the Obama administration and Democratic Congress as “activist” and “not industry friendly," a revelation that comes days before the giant automaker's top executives testify on Capitol Hill amid a giant recall.

According to a presentation obtained under subpoena by the House Oversight and Government Relations committee, Toyota referred to the “changing political environment” as one of its main challenges and anticipated a "more challenging regulatory" environment under the Obama administration's purview.

This document, in addition to piles of other records, will be front and center this week as the Japanese automaker girds to face lawmakers hungry for answers about a recall that has the company teetering.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz0gEboeGX6
Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

I say again...they have no clearance to talk and say this is political when non-Japanese brand vehicles were barred from purchase under Japan's own Cash-for-Clunkers program. The fact that they are being held responsible for their actions because they sell their cars in this country does not make it political. If they really have that much of a problem with it, they can withdraw from the US market.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

^ they are taking advantage of the US not liking the dems at this moment in time, however I think this like everything else they have done recently will bite them in the ass.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

I say again...they have no clearance to talk and say this is political when non-Japanese brand vehicles were barred from purchase under Japan's own Cash-for-Clunkers program. The fact that they are being held responsible for their actions because they sell their cars in this country does not make it political. If they really have that much of a problem with it, they can withdraw from the US market.
I agree, also, they are being very childish about the whole thing. Bad move, imo.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

All of the dealers in the US are drinking the kool-aid.....

http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/worried-toyota-dealers-in-us-adding-own-voice-to-pr-push

They will sink with the Yamamo..err, SS Toyota.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 AM
Suzuka Master

All of the dealers in the US are drinking the kool-aid.....

http://www.japantoday.com/category/business/view/worried-toyota-dealers-in-us-adding-own-voice-to-pr-push

They will sink with the Yamamo..err, SS Toyota.
I believe it was the Yamato lol :p
Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Toyoda is showing up at the hearings on Wednesday. He got a request from Congress to show up. My friend who's family died in Santee was also asked to speak at the hearings. Anyone know if CSPAN broadcasts these things live?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 AM

^ I believe it should be broadcast on CSPAN.. if not, the records are always made public.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
A guy on the Lexus forums took a loaner Lexus and tried the pedal floored neutral method. The car would not let him go into Neutral when it was floored. It was locked into gear. When he let off the gas, it then let him do it. This might be why people are having issues and not putting it in N.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Link?
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Prosecutors launch criminal investigation of Toyota recalls

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100222/..._toyota_recall

Quick Reply: Stuck accelerator kills 4 in Santee *Recall - Page 2*