http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=64104531001

Insight about the throttle issues.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...l-fix/19338580

Report: US Regulators Clear Toyota Gas Pedal FixUpdated: 57 minutes ago
Print Text Size E-mail MoreKen Thomas and Tom Krisher

AP DETROIT (Jan. 30) -- Federal regulators have cleared Toyota's plan to fix millions of sticky gas pedals, and dealers could get parts to make the repairs as early as Thursday or Friday, people briefed on the matter said Saturday.

Two dealers said they were told the news by Toyota executives, and a Department of Transportation official confirmed that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration had no objections to Toyota's plans.

Toyota plans to announce details early Monday, according to the dealers, who asked not to be identified because the fix had not been made public. The DOT official also requested anonymity because the announcement had not been made.

Telephone messages left with two Toyota spokesmen Saturday were not immediately returned.

Toyota has recalled 4.2 million vehicles worldwide because the gas pedal systems can get stuck. The company said the problem is rare and is caused by condensation that builds up in the gas pedal assembly.

Several dealers have said the fix involves slipping a shim into an area where springs push the gas pedal back to its resting position after a driver has eased off the gas, but Toyota has not commented on the repair.

Dealers have been in the difficult position of having no parts to fix the cars ever since the recall was announced on Jan. 21.

The recall in the U.S. covers 2.3 million vehicles and involves the 2009-10 RAV4 crossover, the 2009-10 Corolla, the 2009-10 Matrix hatchback, the 2005-10 Avalon, the 2007-10 Camry, the 2010 Highlander crossover, the 2007-10 Tundra pickup and the 2008-10 Sequoia SUV. The recall has been expanded to models in Europe and China.

Toyota said that not all the models listed in the recall have the faulty gas pedals, which were made by CTS Corp. of Elkhart, Ind. Dealers can tell which models have the CTS pedals.

"They've got a fix and it's been approved by NHTSA," said one of the dealers who was happy that parts would be coming soon.

Toyota announced late Friday that it would begin shipping new gas pedal systems to dealers as well.

Legally Toyota did not need NHTSA's approval for the fix, but the company submitted the plan to the government agency on Thursday, and it would be unlikely to proceed without the government's blessing.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:14 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
http://finance.yahoo.com/insurance/a...21df1&ccode=rd

someone else thinks that it could be the electronics like someone mentioned earlier.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
sooooooooooooo, what was all the floor mat craziness????? I think it was just an excuse to look at enough cars and trucks to figure out what was really wrong?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
will there still be problems in a couple of months after this whole pedal ordeal is the question.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
will there still be problems in a couple of months after this whole pedal ordeal is the question.
I will say 'aye'. And I believe their move after that will to be continuing to blame the consumer.

Last edited by PortlandRL; 02-01-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
If their " reinforced precision cut steel spacer " is as effective as their zip ties.. I also say nay..

Old 02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Hey now. That isn't a zip tie. It's a semi-permanent floor mat anchoring device. Do you have any idea how long it took our engineers to come up with that solution?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sad part is, that from what has been reported the problem doesn't seem to be mechanical. Those type of problems are pretty easy to track down.

This new hypothesis about sticking pedals is still a mechanical problem. Which if it is the cause any mechanic with common sense would have found that from the start, so why would it have taken so long to find?

I still think some module or tcm has some fault. Hmmmm how much would it Cost to go back through a modules code to figure out if something is out of spec
Old 02-01-2010, 04:03 PM

It might not be a design or code flaw but an environmental / stress design issue that could make a module fail like a single bad component, connector going bad, sensor failure, moisture, etc.. there are so many variables, unfortunately Toyota already got their hands on one of the few verifiable vehicles effected by the unintended acceleration. Time will tell..
Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Well on the news this am they were reporting that dealers/service depts dont think this is the issue. Many have seen the cars with symptoms and the pedal was all the way up and not sagging. I find it hard to believe that the spring would collapse all the way, i could see a higher idle but not 3/4 to full throttle.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 986 Likes on 530 Posts
From Kyodo News Service..... Toyota defends their actions, with
Toyota defends worldwide recalls as putting customer first
Tuesday 02nd February, 04:13 PM JST

NAGOYA —
Toyota Motor Corp Executive Vice President Shinichi Sasaki on Tuesday offered an apology to customers for a massive recall that could reach up to 4.45 million vehicles worldwide over potentially defective accelerator pedals.

But the executive in charge of quality and customer service operations defended the widely criticized delay in Toyota’s response to address the problems as a result of the company putting its customers first.

While the automaker had been mostly mum about the impact of the extensive recall, Sasaki admitted Toyota is ‘‘very concerned’’ about meeting its recently announced global sales target for 2010 with its reputation for quality deeply tarnished by a spate of safety issues dogging the world’s largest automaker.

‘‘We sincerely apologize for causing concern to our Toyota customers worldwide,’’ Sasaki said at a news conference in Nagoya.

‘‘We put priority on notifying our customers as quickly as possible even if it resulted in confusion among our dealers and the frontline of our production,’’ he said.

He said orders for Toyota vehicles have fallen since the recalls were announced and speculated monthly sales may initially fall bigger than around 20 percent, based on examples from previous recalls which were smaller in size.

On Monday, Toyota announced a remedy for potentially defective accelerator pedals and said it will begin repairing its recalled vehicles in the United States, Canada and Europe. The recall was first announced in the United States on Jan 21.

The company on Feb. 8 will resume suspended production of the recalled eight models in five plants in North America.

While Sasaki said he did not know the impact of the recall on the company’s earnings, he was not considering earnings or costs when compiling a remedy and was instructed by Toyota President Akio Toyoda to put customers first.

Details on the impact on Toyota’s business may be further revealed when the company announces its earnings for the April to December period on Thursday.

The automaker, which had been reticent about discussing the recall issue openly, is launching an aggressive campaign to repair its damaged reputation with newspaper ads, appearances on television, and press conferences by company executives excluding Toyoda.
How about actually fixing the problem. Typical Japanese defensive .......
Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

When the pedals are recalled and floor mats are in the trunk and cars continue to accelerate out of control, what are they going to do? I was thinking about this tonight and I'll bet you they start blaming the drivers. "Your cell phone must have fallen and jammed the pedal," or "You were stepping on the gas and thought you were on the brake."

You can only cram so many skeletons into the closet before they all come spilling out.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Another accident blamed on stuck accelerator.
http://www.whas11.com/news/local/One...-83288557.html
In the police reports, it says police officers detected that the front wheels of the vehicle dug into the snow bank as if the accelerator was stuck.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Steve Wozniak says his 2010 Prius has issues.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10...eadlinesArea.0
"Toyota has this accelerator problem we've all heard about," Wozniak said. "Well, I have many models of Prius that got recalled, but I have a new model that didn't get recalled. This new model has an accelerator that goes wild but only under certain conditions of cruise control. And I can repeat it over and over and over again--safely."
"This is software. It's not a bad accelerator pedal. It's very scary, but luckily for me I can hit the brakes," he said.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

If he can repeat it over and over again, that might just be the key to cracking this wide open. It seems to me that the more Toyota pins it on other things, the more people come out of the woodwork to counter their claims.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:41 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can say the dog ate my homework and it doesn't make it so. I would be willing to be the vast majority of people are going to blame Toyota so they can sue them.

Originally Posted by doopstr
Another accident blamed on stuck accelerator.
http://www.whas11.com/news/local/One...-83288557.html
Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 PM

Unfortunately this will happen, but that doesn't excuse the valid cases out there.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

agreed.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

As I said about that crash, that seems like a classic case of old person now-which-pedal-did-I-step-on syndrome.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
As I said about that crash, that seems like a classic case of old person now-which-pedal-did-I-step-on syndrome.
Yep. I saw a video online of a retired chap who claims his Sienna went willy nilly crazy backwards back in 2005. Flew out into the street from his driveway and did $7,000 damage. Interestingly, nobody is saying Siennas have the problem, and even MORE interesting, dood bought another new Sienna the next year! So on the one hand he claims it went crazy on him, but OTOH he couldn't come up with any other vehicle to replace it with. Tells me he doesnt REALLY believe it was the car.....
Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Well the driver of that Camry actually told police, "I don't really know which pedal I stepped on." That right there is grounds to dismiss the car as being at fault because it's completely different from a person who says, "The car took off on me and I saw that the gas pedal wasn't obstructed." Old people have been crashing through storefronts for a good 90 years, long before drive by wire and this debacle.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Breaking news....

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...eleration.html

The U.S. Department of Transportation has now said it will look into electrical issues as a possible source for the unintended acceleration of Toyota products. Toyota recently recalled 2.3 million cars and trucks due to pedals that stick or are slow to return and has since announced a fix for the problem that it says is mechanical, not electronic.

According to an unnamed Transportation official, interviewed by Automotive News, the Federal government’s investigation into the pedal issue will include a look at Toyota’s electronics.

Shinichi Sasaki, Toyota’s to man in charge of quality today repeated Toyota’s position that the problem was mechanical and not electronic. The maker of the supposedly faulty pedal, CTS Corp, has said that it does not believe the problem originates with its product.

The accelerator pedal recall affects 2.3 million vehicles in North America, including eight models: 2009-2010 RAV4, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2007-2010 Camry, 2010 Highlander, 2007-2010 Tundra and 2008-2010 Sequoia.

This news come on the day that Toyota launched an advertising blitz in U.S. newspapers, with Toyota U.S.A. president Jim Lentz quotes as saying, “We have launched a comprehensive plan to permanently fix the vehicles we’ve recalled because in rare instances, accelerator pedals can, over time, become slow to release or get stuck. We know what’s causing this and what we have to do to fix it.”

Apparently the Feds aren’t so sure.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

More poop hits the fan guys and gals..... and tomorrow I'll find the story about it being a Japanese problem as well. This will not go well......

Pedal problem was known in '07, exec says

NAGOYA (Kyodo) A Toyota Motor Corp. executive said Tuesday that the company was aware of problems with gas pedal systems as early as in 2007 but could not spot the exact defect and failed to recall products immediately.

Toyota received consumer complaints in 2007 that the gas pedal in its Tundra pickup sometimes wouldn't return quickly when released, Shinichi Sasaki, Toyota's executive vice president in charge of quality and customer service operations, said at a news conference.

Toyota replaced the material of some parts of the gas pedal system, but it did not find the defect that led Toyota to recall millions of cars earlier this month, he said.

Toyota was ultimately prodded by U.S. regulators late last year to make a swift decision on implementing the recalls.

Sasaki denied that the automaker's electronic throttle system was behind the trouble. The system, known as ETCS-i, is at the center of class-action lawsuits involving owners of Toyota vehicles in the United States and Canada.

According to Sasaki, gas pedals in the vehicles subject to the recall, including the Tundra, might not return to their original position quickly if moisture builds up on the root part of the pedal.

On Monday, Toyota announced a remedy for the faulty accelerator pedals and said it will begin repairing the recalled vehicles in the United States, Canada and Europe by inserting a steel reinforcement bar. It will also resume suspended production of the eight recalled models in five plants in North America next Monday.

"We put priority on notifying our customers as quickly as possible even if this resulted in confusion among our dealers and the frontline of our production," Sasaki said. "As a result, there was a time lag in the announcements of the remedy measures and the recall."
Old 02-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Things are continuing to fall apart for Toyota. This is a shit hole company with shit hole management and they have blood on their hands. It is the blood of the people who put their trust in their defective cars. More and more people are pointing towards the electronics and Toyota is denying it more and more.

They should be ashamed and I hope they suffer for years to come because of this.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/17970509
Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 AM

^ I don't know how much is sensationalism in that story but some big names are coming out and laying down the bitch be good stick.

If it is the ECU / sensor issue as we have always believed, then I'm hoping experts will be able to prove it shortly. I also hope that if the ex-Toyota lawyer suggested there has been a coverup, then for evidence to come forth.

This may be worse then Firestone.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

More deep poop for Toyota:

I apologize for the length of this, but read it and understand the depth to their

Toyota's president apologizes for massive global recalls

Saturday 06th February, 07:19 AM JST

TOKYO —
Toyota Motor Corp President Akio Toyoda apologized Friday for massive global recalls of its top-selling models in an official news conference to address a spate of safety troubles that has pounded the reputation of the world’s biggest automaker.

‘‘I sincerely apologize for causing concern to many of our customers over recalls on multiple models in multiple regions,’’ Toyoda said in a news conference in Nagoya, which was also broadcast live in Tokyo.

But despite the rushed emergency press conference held late in the evening, the automaker said it has not yet reached a conclusion on how to respond to complaints over brake problems involving its new Prius hybrid, in the latest safety crisis to plague Toyota.

‘‘Believe me, Toyota’s cars are safe,’’ Toyoda said in broken English, admitting the company is facing a ‘‘crisis situation.’‘

Toyoda said he has instructed his employees to respond quickly to the Prius issue. He added the company will set up a committee to examine the cause for the recent recalls and ask external experts to analyze its quality management system.

The automaker has been in talks with both Japanese and U.S. regulators as it nears its decision on whether to carry out a voluntary repair or go one step further with a mandatory recall due to spreading concerns among consumers.

Toyota has been facing closer scrutiny on the Prius issue as it came to light following two previous recalls over faulty accelerator pedals and loose floor mats that can cause the gas pedals to stick.

Skepticism has been growing both abroad and at home especially after the company did not disclose the brake problems even after it learned of the complaints from autumn last year.

In a rare open criticism of the automaker from within the Japanese government, transport minister Seiji Maehara on Friday said Toyota’s response to the Prius issue ‘‘lacked customer focus.’‘

Subject to the possible recall is the 2010 Toyota Prius hybrid, which was rolled out in May and remained a top-seller in January in Japan. The automaker has sold about 170,000 units in Japan and about 100,000 units in the United States.

On Friday, Toyota sent an official in charge of technology to the ministry of land, infrastructure, transport and tourism and is believed to have given a detailed explanation of the complex electronic brake system installed in the Prius, which runs on both an electric motor and gasoline engine.

The company plans to fix the problem by improving the software for the antilock brake system, the part that prevents the wheels from slipping when slamming on the brakes. In Japan, Toyota has already started sending the redesigned computer software to dealers so they can implement the remedy.

The recall, if decided, is likely to spread worldwide because Toyota has sold about 310,000 units of the latest Prius model in around 60 countries, including Japan and the United States, as of the end of 2009. The automaker plans to take similar measures in the affected areas.

The company is also currently investigating if there are any similar complaints involving other hybrid models, such as the luxury Lexus HS250h sedan and the hybrid-only compact sedan, the Sai, which employ the same brake system as the Prius.

Toyota officials have said it has already changed the computer software for the newly produced models since late January, and these will not be subject to the recall.

Officials currently see the antilock brake system as the cause of brakes temporarily not working on bumpy or slippery roads.

In a briefing Thursday on the Prius problem, Hiroyuki Yokoyama, Toyota’s managing officer for quality and customer service, said users might experience a time lag before the brakes kick in but the problem can usually be solved by stepping harder on the brake pedal.

The automaker plans to provide the improved computer software to customers through its dealers once it irons out details on carrying out a mandatory recall or voluntary repairs. The process itself is expected to be completed in half an hour or so once the user has taken the car to a dealer.

As of Friday, 93 Prius complaints have been reported to the Japanese transport ministry, including five property damage accidents.

On Thursday, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it has launched a formal investigation into the Prius after receiving 124 complaints from consumers about the gas-electric hybrid, including four reports of crashes.

The Japanese transport ministry is also examining if there were any problems with Toyota’s response to the complaints, although the automaker denies any coverup.

The probe on the Prius came after Toyota carried out a safety recall of some 5.55 million vehicles in the United States and Canada in November to fix gas pedals getting stuck under loose floor mats and causing sudden acceleration.

A more recent recall in January over faulty accelerator pedals, involving models such as the popular Camry and Corolla, has quickly spilled over from North America to Europe, China, Latin America and other parts of the world.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

"Lo barato sale caro."

I feel bad the money hungry decisions of a select few have affected so many.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,261 Likes on 5,221 Posts
I never once thought it was an issue with the floormats.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
I never once thought it was an issue with the floormats.
who did?
Old 02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,261 Likes on 5,221 Posts
oh, is that a "known issue"... I guess that was just my 2 cents on the matter.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
toyota is done
Old 02-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

only way they can come out of this decent is if they blame a person or persons for whatever reason, so they can take the fall and get fired.

should hit the media in a couple of months.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by BigLizard
who did?
Eric did for a while but thankfully he's come over to our side. I believe Moog still thinks there is no fault of the electronics and that it's all driver error.

But he hasn't been in here; just in the recall thread in Automotive News.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now all I need is get hit by a Toyota so I can sue them too.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Just saw the "apology" commercial during 24. lol
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Originally Posted by synth19
Just saw the "apology" commercial during 24. lol
What I find as being so pathetic, is the press over here is asking Japanese people their opinions of Toyota, and they are seen very favorably. But people here are saying America is doing this to help prop up GM, Ford, and Chrysler. Here's some of their BS:

Japanese ask: Is U.S. backlash on Toyota a ploy to boost American auto producers?
TOKYO —
Despite the criticism of Toyota over car safety, Japanese citizens still largely view the world’s largest automaker with pride—so much so that some people here wonder whether pressure on Toyota in the U.S. is a ploy to boost American auto producers and undermine Japan Inc.

“I think the Americans are going overboard,” said Hiroyuki Komiya, 40, a Tokyo restaurant employee. “Maybe it’s Japan-bashing because the trouble at Toyota, which has the world’s No. 1 share, is a big opportunity for its American rivals.”

That notion may seem far-fetched to the millions of Toyota owners in the United States and around the world whose confidence in the company has made it the world leader—and are now simply worried about the safety of their cars.
And some more from the same article...

Some in Japan have criticized Toyota as slow to respond to the safety problems and people acknowledge that the brand—and Japan’s image—has taken a hit. But the prevailing mood is that Toyota—the flagship of Japan Inc—has been unfairly singled out.

“Toyota is so big and famous, so it’s an easy target,” said Masahiro Yasunaga, a 24-year-old tech company employee. “Its brand image has been hurt, but the media reports are too much.”
Others in Japan say Toyota’s sheer size made it hard to respond quickly to the crisis, which has involved recalling more than 7 million cars in the U.S., Europe and China over a sticky accelerator and floor mats that can get caught in the gas pedal.

“It’s typical of a huge corporation, where everything had to go through a lengthy process,” said Yumi Sato, 32, an operator of a customer call center. “I kind of sympathize with Toyota.”
I really don't like the "Japanese products made for Japanese are better attitude. The whole article is here: More Japanese BS

I hope they collapse.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

The Japanese seem to be unaware that a great majority of Americans are sheep incapable of independent critical thinking. You tell them that American cars are bad, that Toyota makes the greatest cars ever and they will keep buying them, regardless. Ask GM; when you become Number 1 and you will inherit all the that comes with it.

Let 'em have their number one sales trophies; my family will never buy another Toyota product. As soon as my mom's '02 RX300 bites it, that's the last one.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Quick Reply: Stuck accelerator kills 4 in Santee *Recall - Page 2*