Stuck accelerator kills 4 in Santee *Recall - Page 2*

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
I'm saddened by the loss of life and injury to victims of these incidents. (And I may take my aunt's 07 Avalon for a prolonged spin just to see if it's 'ok') I also doubt that this has anything to do with floor mats.

However, I'm also old enough to recall the flurry of sudden acceleration incidents that occurred with the Audi 5000(later named the Audi 100 then A6)......of which I think the jury is still out after some 25 years and two model name changes.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I'm saddened by the loss of life and injury to victims of these incidents. (And I may take my aunt's 07 Avalon for a prolonged spin just to see if it's 'ok') I also doubt that this has anything to do with floor mats.

However, I'm also old enough to recall the flurry of sudden acceleration incidents that occurred with the Audi 5000(later named the Audi 100 then A6)......of which I think the jury is still out after some 25 years and two model name changes.
With the old Audi 5000 issue, it came to light after some investigation that a heavily disproportionate cross-section of the affected drivers were under 5' 5" tall, had only had their cars a short time, etc.

In short, driver error was the inevitable conclusion.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Majofo
Consider that the code that goes into all the control module systems in a modern vehicle is 10-100x more lines of code than goes into a Boeing commercial airplane or a fighter jet..
Say WHAT? I'm gonna politely ask for a linked source for that one.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Consider that the code that goes into all the control module systems in a modern vehicle is 10-100x more lines of code than goes into a Boeing commercial airplane or a fighter jet..

My best friend used to work at Boeing on the C-17 project about a year ago. Would you like for me to verify your statement?
Old 09-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Audi was simply the target of MSNBC's insatiable hunger for better ratings. They blew the whole thing out of proportion and made it sound like Audis all over the country were taking off without provocation or warning. On the 5000, the pedals were positioned more to the left, were smaller and closer together than American cars, making drivers unfamiliar with the vehicle likely to step on the wrong one without knowing it. I read the statistics on the Audi unintended acceleration and it came out like this:

- A large majority of the vehicles had fewer than 1,000 miles on them.
- All vehicles involved had automatic transmissions.
- All but one incident involved a reversing maneuver.
- One woman involved in an unintended acceleration claimed she was standing on the brake with all her might. Upon inspection of the car, the end of the accelerator was actually bent because so much force had been applied to it.
- The majority of incidents occurred with a shorter-stature driver who had just traded in an American car for the Audi. The Audi's pedals are smaller and positioned closer together than the American cars of the era which had that GIANT GM brake pedal.

I once drove a 1986 Audi 5000 (same year as the ones claimed to be dangerous) with a manual transmission and stepped on the clutch thinking it was the brake. Momentary panic ensued but the car stopped just fine once I found the brake pedal. Having never driven the car before that point, I can see why somebody new to it might step on the wrong pedal accidentally.

What Audi faced in 1986 and what Lexus is ignoring now are two totally different animals. The Audi incidents were low-speed maneuvers caused by unfamiliarity in the vehicle. It is clear to me the Lexus problem is a major computer drive-by-wire (something I always thought to be a bad idea) failure and nothing more. The fact the car won't let you shift out of gear once moving is a massive design flaw and I am seriously waiting for the first lawsuit to be filed.

And let me add this...if Lexus is innocent and this whole thing simply is a case of bunched floor mats, why not release the information from the ES350's EDR (the black box). That right there will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know, including any malfunction in the car's internal systems. The fact they won't release that information confirms they are attempting to cover up a huge defect in their product.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMirror
Say WHAT? I'm gonna politely ask for a linked source for that one.
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal

My best friend used to work at Boeing on the C-17 project about a year ago. Would you like for me to verify your statement?
I'm an EE guys.. and an avid reader of Spectrum.. I was shocked by the article as well.. it's the combined code of all the control modules just for claro.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/advanced-cars/this-car-runs-on-code

I also have some friends working at Boeing in Everett.. one EE and two ME's.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
lol

floor mats have been around since the begining, why is it a problem now?

Ive actually had problems with cheap thin ones that would bunch up towards the pedals but of course never did or could cause an accelerator to get stuck.

I call total BS on the floormat thing.

Like stated before....Throttle by wire is a Baaad idea. electronics and the way they are set up is to blame.

What I want to know is what are they going to do after the floormat recall when this is still happening? Unless the ecm's are getting secretly reflashed. (thats some real conspiracy theory right there)
Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
^ I just watched that last video, and at the end is says the floor mats are to blame. What I don't get, is even if the floor mat scoots up where it shouldn't be, why doesn't the car slow down when the brakes are applied? Why doesn't anything happen when she puts the car in neutral or park? And why did the cruise control light come on when she didn't press it? I'm not buying this floor mat BS.
I agree with you 100%. I kinda felt bad for her when she started crying when talking about her terrifying experience!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
lol

floor mats have been around since the begining, why is it a problem now?

Ive actually had problems with cheap thin ones that would bunch up towards the pedals but of course never did or could cause an accelerator to get stuck.

I call total BS on the floormat thing.

Like stated before....Throttle by wire is a Baaad idea. electronics and the way they are set up is to blame.

What I want to know is what are they going to do after the floormat recall when this is still happening? Unless the ecm's are getting secretly reflashed. (thats some real conspiracy theory right there)
That will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out. I just hope no one else is injured or killed in the meantime.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM

I'm an EE guys.. and an avid reader of Spectrum.. I was shocked by the article as well.. it's the combined code of all the control modules just for claro.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/green-tech/advanced-cars/this-car-runs-on-code

I also have some friends working at Boeing in Everett.. one EE and two ME's.
Good gracious, I just can't get my head around that. Thanks for the link, and thansk also for another blog topic I can write on.

Best,
-Mirror
Old 10-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Good gracious, I just can't get my head around that. Thanks for the link, and thansk also for another blog topic I can write on.

Best,
-Mirror
Volvo produced an anti collision system that uses RF to detect approach velocity to oncoming objects. If the driver up ahead is stopped or slammed their brakes it will make an audible & visual warning, then if the operator hasn't applied the brakes fast enough or with enough urgency it will apply full force braking power automatically. Look it up.. there's no end to the types of systems they're putting in automobiles.. slowly but surely they're phasing morons out of the question.. unfortunately they're phasing out those with common sense as well..

Last edited by Majofo; 10-01-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:10 PM

Volvo produced an anti collision system that uses RF to detect approach velocity to oncoming objects. If the driver up ahead is stopped or slammed their brakes it will make an audible & visual warning, then if the operator hasn't applied the brakes fast enough or with enough urgency it will apply full force braking power automatically. Look it up.. there's no end to the types of systems they're putting in automobiles.. slowly but surely they're phasing morons out of the question.. unfortunately they're phasing out those with common sense as well..
Its official. I'm going into the rebuilt vehicle control module business. Who is gonna service all this stuff when these cars get older?

Thanks for all this, very very interesting stuff.

-Mirror
Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

My RL has that...CMBS (Collision Mitigating Braking System).
Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 AM

yep.. same thing.. Honda developed 2 yrs before Volvo..

Honda CMBS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSA98AvCvaQ

Volvo CWS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObnTdpaKZQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evVOqc9xZ0A

Lexus also has a similar system - radar adaptive cruise control. The system will automatically slow down if traffic up ahead slows down and it will speed up to the preset speed if no traffic ahead is apparent. I would love to look at the code for this system. It seems that the system is not 100% from this video; I wonder if the slow down input is not 100%, maybe the speed up input is also not 100%..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM5MSwVJKRM
Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,031 Likes on 544 Posts
I owned an Audi 5000S Avant. The pedals were very close together, and sometimes I caught myself pressing both when only one was needed. And NBC FTL.

Funny thing with Toyota / Lexus here in Japan: there's no recall here. Nothing about the floor mats or anything.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmako
I owned an Audi 5000S Avant. The pedals were very close together, and sometimes I caught myself pressing both when only one was needed. And NBC FTL.

Funny thing with Toyota / Lexus here in Japan: there's no recall here. Nothing about the floor mats or anything.
The "idiot-factor" probably isn't as high over there as it is here....
Old 10-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Fucking assholes.. Toyota's recall fix.. 3.8M recall costs probably 5 cents each.. they were even bold enough to issue a recall procedure to the service shops.

http://jalopnik.com/5377355/your-new-lexus-floor-mats-will-look-like-crap/gallery/
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
^^

That's ridiculous.

It's almost like a slap in the face to owners. "Oh, you think it's the floor mats causing unintended acceleration. Well then here's our fix, dickhead. Fuck you very much and have a nice day."

:shakehead
Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
A fucking tie wrap? :shakehead
My Sienna has two hooks in front of the seats on the floor that go into holes in the floor mat. How hard is it to install them?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
You have got to be kiiding!

If they cut holes into my mats I would be pist!

A zip tie is a joke.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

What an insult! Why not just slap customers in the face? That'd be even cheaper!

It would not surprise me if it's just a cover-up and they are secretly re-flashing drive-by-wire modules.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You have got to be fucking kidding me. If i was a owner i would walk into the dealer and say here are my keys, its your car now, along with the loan payments. That is beyond bull shit. A Zip tie? Seriously. I didnt buy a car to have them punch holes into the floor mats and zip tie them into the car to make it so that i have to cut them to take them out to clean them.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

This is probably the first time I've seen recall by a major automaker that's actually done tongue-in-cheek. ...and I thought the Murano fuel tank shield was a joke recall.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
I went to a memorial service in Vallejo, CA on Sunday. Huge turnout. RIP Chris and Saylor family.

http://www.lastrellasaylor.com/index.html
Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Old 10-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

I am still at a loss for words over that zip tie. That looks like something GM would have pulled in the 1970s. I just can't wrap my mind around it...Toyota is dead to me.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHGSWs4uJzY

^ warning, very graphic 911 call.. I'm never going to buy another Toyota product for the rest of my life. How dare they piss on the graves of such beautiful people who died in such horrific circumstances. Those motherfuckers should commit seppuku for their acts, but they obviously have no honor.

On a related note, Ford issued a wider recall on faulty cruise control circuits to 14M vehicles and have notified owners not to drive their vehicles until they can form a solution.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
So to be clear, would these guys have been able to put the car in neutral (I know, in that situation you can easily not remember to do that), or was there something wrong with the car preventing that?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

I just got done reading this article...it seems Toyota covering up massive product defects and concealing evidence is nothing new. I, along with Majofo, will NEVER even consider a Toyota or Lexus in the future, especially after all the skeletons coming out of their closets.

http://www.beasleyallen.com/news/Law...ion-accidents/

And in case the article falls off that site, here it is in the entirety:

Plaintiffs' lawyers investigating a spate of serious crashes say Toyota's massive safety recall this week doesn't address a potentially dangerous mechanical defect causing sudden, unexplained acceleration accidents.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Tuesday said Toyota Motor is issuing a recall for at least 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to fix a potential safety problem caused by removable floor mats jamming the accelerators.

The announcement followed a crash in August that killed four people riding in a Lexus ES 350 on a San Diego highway.

But several plaintiffs' lawyers allege that a defective engine throttle control system - not floor mats interfering with gas pedals - is causing many accidents due to Unintended Acceleration. And removing floor mats won't stop those accidents, they contend.

Sean Kane, head of Safety Research & Strategies, a Rehoboth, Mass., consulting firm that works with plaintiffs' lawyers, said a group of personal injury lawyers around the country is investigating unexpected acceleration accidents involving Toyota vehicles.

Several of the cases involve fatalities after cars sped out of control and crashed.

"There is great interest in the litigation community in this issue," Kane said.

So far, Toyota and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have identified floor mat interference as the only cause of unintended acceleration.

But Kane and Donald H. Slavik, an engineer and attorney at Habush, Habush & Rottier in Milwaukee, Wis., said initial investigations indicate that Toyota's electronic throttle control system is a factor in several sudden, unintended acceleration accidents.

"Certainly in the older vehicles, the floor mats problem doesn't seem to be the issue," Slavik said.

Kane agreed: "Are floor mats causing a number of unintended acceleration accidents? Yes. However, there are accidents outside the floor mat issue."

Throttle control system problems

Safety Research & Strategies said the problem appeared to increase beginning with the 2002 Camry, when Toyota installed a new electronic throttle control for a redesigned model. Since then, problems have been reported in the Camry, Camry Solara, Lexus ES 300 and ES 330s, Sienna, Tacoma and RAV4 vehicles, covering models years from 2002 and later.

"There have been an enormous number of complaints from drivers," Kane said.

Slavik filed suit last year in state court in California on behalf of Bulent Ezal, whose 2005 Camry sped off a cliff into the Pacific Ocean when he allegedly tried to park it at a Pismo Beach, Calif. restaurant. Ezal was seriously injured and his wife, Anne, was killed in the accident.

Slavik said he is investigating similar accidents involving Camrys, Siennas and Tacomas.

NHTSA said it had received reports of 102 incidents in which the accelerator may have become stuck in the Toyota vehicles involved, but that it was unclear how many led to crashes.

The recall will affect the following vehicles: 2007-10 Toyota Camry, 2005-10 Toyota Avalon, 2004-09 Toyota Prius, 2005-10 Toyota Tacoma, 2007-10 Toyota Tundra, 2007-10 Lexus ES 350 and 2006-10 Lexus IS 250 and IS 350.

The 2005 Camry is not among those being recalled. And Ezal's car did not contain one of the removable floor mats cited in the recall.

Efforts to share information

Cole Portis, an attorney at Beasley Allen in Montgomery, Ala., said his firm is representing clients in four cases involving unintended acceleration accidents with Toyotas.

He filed suit last year in Oklahoma state court on behalf of Jean Bookout, a Yukon, Okla. woman who survived a 2007 crash. Bookout was driving her 2005 Camry and exiting an interstate highway when, she alleges, the car suddenly accelerated.

Bookout claims that she applied the brakes, including the emergency brakes, but the car continued to speed out of control, leaving 100-foot skid marks before crashing into an embankment.

Bookout survived, but her friend, Barbara Schwarz, who was a passenger, died.

The other three accidents under investigation at Beasley Allen were similar, Portis said.

"All of them are leading to the conclusion there's this sudden acceleration after a person takes their foot off the gas," Portis contends. "We've seen other lawyers across the country seeing the same thing."

Portis plans to ask the court to allow him to share discovery in the case with other plaintiffs' lawyers.

"We need to be able to share amongst each other, to help our clients," he said.

Several attorneys said they hope NHTSA conducts a complete investigation. But they noted that NHTSA relies on information from manufacturers, and Toyota has been accused of being less than forthright about product liability issues.

McCune Wright, a Redlands, Calif. law firm, filed a class action in August on behalf of Dimitrius Biller, a former Toyota attorney who alleged that the company thwarted his efforts to preserve and produce evidence in hundreds of rollover cases against it.

The suit seeks to represent all plaintiffs who lost or settled cases in which Toyota allegedly concealed evidence.

In that case, a U.S. District judge in Texas has ordered Toyota to preserve evidence about the crashworthiness of its vehicles.

Slavik said the sudden acceleration product liability suits "will probably help shed some light on what might be a very serious problem."

The cause of last month's fiery accident in San Diego is still under investigation. Mark Saylor, an off-duty California highway patrolman, and his wife, Cleofe, were killed in the Aug. 28 accident, along with their 13-year-old daughter, Mahala, and brother-in-law, Chris Lastrella.

The crash occurred after they reported to a 911 operator that they couldn't stop their 2009 Lexus as it careened down a highway. In a tape of the call released in September, Lastrella told the operator that the car had no brakes. It plunged over an embankment and burst into flames.

In announcing the recall plans, Toyota said in a statement: "Recent events have prompted Toyota to take a closer look at the potential for an accelerator pedal to get stuck in the full open position due to an unsecured or incompatible driver's floor mat. A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop the vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death."

Last edited by PortlandRL; 10-18-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Wow.... my parents just test drove the Venza yesterday and they are really considering it. I am going to forward this to them.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

That 911 call is very heartwrenching!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That 911 call is very heartwrenching!!!
Very sad.

My bf has a 2005 Avalon. I think I will forward him that last article so he is at least aware that there could be a problem at some point.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Yeah that 911 call is haunting. Either the NHTSA is being run by a bunch of idiots (very likely) or they're corrupt (also likely) to point to the floor mats as well. Very nice find RL. Lets hope the class action suits gets some strong media attention and force Toyota to address the real issue before anyone else dies or is seriously injured.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Punk Rocker

I wish the 911 operator had suggested putting the car in neutral...
Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I wish the 911 operator had suggested putting the car in neutral...
We'll never know if they tried or not.. but my guess is that the veteran CHP officer must have tried. A similar case, of which I posted a video, a lady said she had put the car in neutral but the transmission did not respond. It must have been overriden by the cruise control system. Not sure if turning off the car may have worked.. or if they tried that as well.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
This is what happens when more and more systems are exclusively computer controlled. Sure, it results in smoother engine response, collision mitigating systems that brake for you, and the car can pull you back into the lane if you start drifting.... but what happens when one of these systems has a malfunction? People freak out enough as it is when their hydraulic power system fails, what happens when a fully electric steering system fails? I have a bad feeling those will come in time, just like drive-by-wire systems.

and WTF @ the zip-tie for the floor mats. That cannot be real. I would be fuming if the dealer that we take our ES350 to did that. I've already warned my sister about this but not in a way as to scare her but she kinda laughed it off as if I were joking or something gonna have to forward her a link to the video and articles
Old 10-20-2009, 05:16 AM
Someday, an RS6 Avant+

Received 1,031 Likes on 544 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
The "idiot-factor" probably isn't as high over there as it is here....

It's actually very high. However, speed limits are from about 1950, so not that much in the Ameristupidity. There's a good amount of Japastupidity, as they like to drive in the passing lane at 40Km/h, brake at all intersections regardless of light or signal indication, and make sure that they go through red lights up to 5 seconds after they change.

And Lexus/Toyota, well, they get an F for effort, and they should be paying the poor families that have suffered through their negligence for the rest of their lives. They suck.

Toyota should
Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Moderator

We'll never know if they tried or not.. but my guess is that the veteran CHP officer must have tried. A similar case, of which I posted a video, a lady said she had put the car in neutral but the transmission did not respond. It must have been overriden by the cruise control system. Not sure if turning off the car may have worked.. or if they tried that as well.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Punk Rocker

I'm not aware of any situation in which the cruise control can override a manual gear change into neutral. That would suggest multiple failures in the drivetrain which is almost impossible....

Quick Reply: Stuck accelerator kills 4 in Santee *Recall - Page 2*