Toyota: Recall News

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
8.1 million vehicles recalled....$2 billion cost...and counting.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The total number of vehicles Toyota Motor Corp. has had to recall for gas-pedal related issues now comes to 8.1 million, the carmaker confirmed Thursday.

That figure may grow after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced Thursday that it is launching a formal investigation into braking problems in the popular Toyota Prius.

The 8.1 million figure includes a total of 5.8 million vehicles recalled, around the world, for an issue in which accelerator pedals could become stuck in floor mats. Of those, 5.3 million are being recalled in the United States.

A total of 4.5 million vehicles, worldwide, are being recalled for a problem in which gas pedals, as they wear, can become sticky and not come all the way back up when the driver takes his foot off the pedal. Of those, 2.3 million are under recall in the U.S.

A total of 2.1 million vehicles around the world are subject to both recalls.

In addition to the United States, the recalls are also occurring in Europe and Asia.

Toyota officials estimate the total cost of the global recall could be as much as $2 billion, including the loss of 100,000 vehicle sales in the United States and Europe.

The figures do not include the Toyota Prius, which is currently not subject to a recall but is under formal investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This follows complaints of faulty braking by consumers and an admission by the company that cars produced early in the 2010 model year had a software problem that caused poor brake performance.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/04/auto...otal/index.htm

Old 02-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Toyota recalling 270,000 Priuses in U.S., Japan

Better add the Prius to the list now:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35214248/ns/business-autos/
Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...T0FXa8DxrjjLwA

Everyone wants to "gain" from this. What a mess.
I wasn't really paying much attention to the exploding tires in the mid/late 90's but was the reaction similar from the government?

By the way, KCBS was interviewing people at the toyota dealership, my fucking god people are annoying. "I'm just so scared to even start the car, I have babies and I don't know what else to do."
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM

^ Well probably a better response then that guy in Alabama, only 10x more annoying and not nearly as amusing.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by subinf
I wasn't really paying much attention to the exploding tires in the mid/late 90's but was the reaction similar from the government?

By the way, KCBS was interviewing people at the toyota dealership, my fucking god people are annoying. "I'm just so scared to even start the car, I have babies and I don't know what else to do."
Well, the big difference is that back in the late 90's the government did not "own" any car makers
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Audi’s 1980s Scare May Mean Lost Generation for Toyota Sales

Volkswagen AG’s Audi luxury brand spent 15 years rebuilding U.S. sales after sudden-acceleration incidents in the 1980s almost wiped out demand, a possible sign of the difficult times Toyota Motor Corp. faces.

Audi’s U.S. deliveries plunged 83 percent by 1991 from their peak in 1985 following recalls of the German automaker’s 5000 sedan. A class-action lawsuit in 1987 by Audi owners seeking compensation is still being fought.

Audi was then selling no more than 75,000 cars a year in the U.S. and was chipping away at the market for higher-priced models. Last year, Toyota, the world’s largest automaker, sold 17 percent of all cars in the U.S. The Japanese manufacturer’s recall of almost 8 million vehicles, including 5.6 million in the U.S., to fix defects that cause sudden acceleration has prompted the U.S. government to probe the cause.

“There are very strong parallels between the Audi incident and Toyota,” said John Wolkonowicz, an analyst at IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts, who worked on product- development analysis for Ford Motor Co. at the time of the Audi recalls. “I’m convinced this whole mess can take longer than seven years to overcome. It might well have a generational impact.....”
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=ap9.wMQJGACA

I've said it to my auto industry contacts for a while. Toyota and VW's relentless pursuit of global market share and volume at the expense of quality control would come back to bite them in the a$$ and it has and it will.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,142 Posts
IMO Because of the recession, there is some sort of pent up demand for cars. If Toyota misses out on the next large buying cycle of cars it will be at least 5 years before they can recover. If the customers end up liking their competitors product then Toyota will face the same problem that the domestics ran into when buyers found a better product.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When it rains, it pours... now there's a Prius inquiry. Unfortunately, mega-corporations do not absorb these major shockwaves very well. Even short-term hemorrhaging of major cash or loss of market share could send the deck tumbling - quick!

I have owned several Toyotas and they are for the most part great vehicles. Toyota really f-ed up by not jumping on this over the years - they knew of what happened to Audi! Their #1 spot is perhaps lost now for a few years to come. I am optimistic that they could recover... but if the issue turns out not to be the petal or footmats, its gonna hurt.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
“There are very strong parallels between the Audi incident and Toyota,” said John Wolkonowicz, an analyst at IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts, who worked on product- development analysis for Ford Motor Co. at the time of the Audi recalls. “I’m convinced this whole mess can take longer than seven years to overcome. It might well have a generational impact.....”
As I mentioned, the only thing missing is the sensalization on a 60 Minutes piece.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Toyota president apologizes for global recall

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
Old 02-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
As I mentioned, the only thing missing is the sensalization on a 60 Minutes piece.
The big difference is that nobody watches 60 Minutes anymore (at least not compared to the 80's)...
Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
The big difference is that nobody watches 60 Minutes anymore (at least not compared to the 80's)...
No, but people are more connected to information like this more than ever with computer, twitter, ect...
Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/17970509

^ pasted from PortlandRL's post in the stuck accel thread.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Prius software problems for braking...no?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

More :what: from LaHood

LaHood praises Toyota as ‘good corporate citizen’

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has had some pretty harsh words for Toyota over the last few days, but LaHood spoke out in favor of Toyota on a government blog late on Thursday. LaHood has been at the center of Toyota’s latest safety investigations.

LaHood has been rather critical of Toyota over the last several days, but acknowledged Toyota’s sterling reputation for safety on a government blog. “It’s also important to remember that, fundamentally, Toyota has a strong safety record and is a good corporate citizen,” LaHood wrote.

LaHood created a firestorm on Wednesday when he advised Toyota owners to “stop driving it and take it to a Toyota dealer.” Toyota dealers were soon overrun with owners concerned about their vehicle’s safety, prompting LaHood to retract his statement just 90 minutes later.

In addition to Toyota’s latest wave of recalls, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has launch a formal investigation involving the braking system on the 2010 Toyota Prius hybrid. If the investigation leads to a recall, more than 100,000 vehicles in the U.S. would be affected.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/lahood-p...tml#more-25593
Does LaHood have Schizophrenia?
He's all over the map with comments.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:48 AM

That's quite some footwork he has..
Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Prius software problems for braking...no?
Answered my own question.....it's for the Prius brakes.

Toyota discovered a design flaw in the 2010 Hybrid Prius months ago, the company said this morning.

The anti-lock brake-system problem, which required a software change to fix, was corrected in all versions of the company's prized, fuel-efficient car sold since late last month. Toyota also said it would expand its investigation to all of its hybrid models
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota...ory?id=9744744
Old 02-05-2010, 12:28 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder if this is hurting Toyota's reputation, it seems to me like many people are still oblivious to it. Not many in my area know about it.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i see u moog...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:36 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Eoanou
I wonder if this is hurting Toyota's reputation, it seems to me like many people are still oblivious to it. Not many in my area know about it.
no not at all. nobody watches the news or has internet. plus your area is 90% of the population in the us. toyotas reputation is fine
Old 02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

You and the people around you must live under a rock.

For sure this will hurt Toyota's reputation...it already has...new car sales are down. Resale values are appearing to fall as well.

Long term however, Toyota will weather the storm.
...just like Ford, Chevy, Audi...etc.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Do you not watch tv or read the newspaper or listen to the radio? This has been all over the place.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:20 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The Feds turned a blind eye?!?!

According to a new report, federal safety investigators allegedly agreed to exclude only the most severe cases of “runaway Toyotas” after the intervention of a former safety official, since hired to be a Washington, D.C. representative for Toyota.

According to a new investigation by ABC News, the 2004 federal investigation of computer-based throttle problems never reviewed any cases where the unintended sudden acceleration lasted more than one to two seconds – or any cases in which the driver attempted to brake. Because of these odd protocols, essentially any high-speed cases were completely ruled out from federal investigation.

Since the 2004 investigation, there have been five other similar investigations with the same limitations placed on federal probing. The most recent case involved a Lexus model with unintended and uncontrollable acceleration in 2007.

Edgar Heiskell, an attorney filing a suit against Toyota regarding a deadly Camry crash which took place in Detroit, said, “It’s beyond explanation. I have not seen an explanation that makes sense.”

According to internal memos and court testimony analyzed by ABS News investigators, the investigations were extremely limited in their scope, that is, after negotiations involving former safety inspector-turned Toyota representative.

According to a 2004 NHTSA memo, “Longer durations incidents involving uncontrollable accelerations” were deemed to be “not within the scope of the investigation.”

According to ABC News, that memo was written on March 23, 2004, not long after Scott Yon, a NHTSA official, met with two former NHTSA colleagues that now work for Toyota, including Chris Santucci, who left NHTSA six months prior, according to his testimony.

“We discussed the scope, ” Santucci testified. “I think it worked out well for both the agency and for Toyota.”
http://www.leftlanenews.com/feds-exc...tml#more-25623
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^ I saw something about that a little while ago, which only increased my belief they they tried to cover this up for some time now. A good corporate citizen? I think not. And shame on the NHTSA for aiding in the cover up.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
A local Hyundai dealership in my area gave some guy a new car to replace his problematic Toyota Avalon.

Flemington Hyundai gives $21,000 car to recalled Toyota driver

By PAMELA SROKA-HOLZMANN
Staff Writer

Union Township, Hunterdon resident Kevin Haggerty Friday was handed the keys to a 2010 Hyundai Sonata donated by the dealership following a plight with his former vehicle that could have turned tragic.

Flemington Hyundai owners, Richard and Leonard Datello presented Haggerty and his wife with the vehicle, valued at $21,000, following a national recall of some Toyota vehicles that had issues with gas pedals sticking. Richard Datello had learned about Haggerty’s woes with his Toyota in the media and wanted to help, he said.

Haggerty, 45, a volunteer firefighter with the Quakertown Fire Department in Franklin Township, Hunterdon, said he had been in dire straights with his 2007 Toyota Avalon sedan for the past several months. Haggerty said he started having trouble with occasional episodes of random acceleration. The vehicle would start revving and picking up speed and he'd have to stand on the brakes to slow it down, he said.

Haggerty would be driving through his hometown at 25 miles an hour and the car would begin accelerating. He then brought the vehicle to several mechanics, as well as a local dealership, with no luck in fixing the gas pedal that had been sticking. Then, in December 2009, Haggerty faced a near catastrophic accident when the car continued to accelerate forward – at nearly 65-mph -- in early morning rush hour traffic on Interstate 78. Fortunately, he was able to prevent the vehicle from having a collision by quickly shifting it into neutral, he said.

Haggerty continued to alert the car company that the problem might not just be with his vehicle, but others. Haggerty made headlines when he shared his technique for shifting the vehicle into neutral to prevent it from accelerating with other motorists.

Haggerty’s story quickly followed thousands of similar complaints, which led Toyota on Jan. 21 to recall approximately 2.3 million select Toyota Division vehicles equipped with certain accelerator pedal mechanisms that could, in rare instances, mechanically stick or return slowly to an idle position.

“This man risks his life as a volunteer firefighter and now was risking his life in this vehicle with his family and two young children,’’ Richard Datello said. “I wanted to take him out of that vehicle and give him one of the safest vehicles on the road.”

Hyundai in 2009 was ranked the top non-luxury brand by J.D. Power and Associates’ “Initial Quality Study,” which beat Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chevy and others.

“This is a local dealership helping local residents out,’’ Haggerty said Friday morning after receiving the new vehicle. “I appreciate their generosity, they came through for me. I now have peace of mind driving in a safe car.”

In addition to the free car, Flemington Hyundai also announced Friday morning it will make a $50 donation to the Quakertown Firehouse for every vehicle purchased this month. The dealership is located at 180 U.S. 202, Raritan Township.
http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...+Toyota+driver
Old 02-05-2010, 09:17 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,847 Likes on 2,586 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
A local Hyundai dealership in my area gave some guy a new car to replace his problematic Toyota Avalon.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/artic...+Toyota+driver
Smart business people. Very smart.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Race Director

So, if you are Toyota, what do you do? Slash prices? Up the warranty? Start buying "we're sorry but we'll make it right" ads?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,555 Posts
So, if you are Toyota, what do you do? Slash prices? Up the warranty? Start buying "we're sorry but we'll make it right" ads?
Restore confidence with an apologies (Toyoda also started this), taking rapid action (sorta started this, giving the "precision cut steel plates" to the factories first over the dealerships was a bonehead move), and provide and verify assurances future measures will prevent this from happening again. Toyota culture and business philosophy will weather through this, won't be easy but Toyota is far smarter and better a company than the 80's Audi.

When JAL flight 123 crashed due to a poor repair to the rear bulkhead on teh Boeing 747, the JAL CEO went to every family of the crew/passengers and apologized in person. Japanese culture places alot on owning up to a problem.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM

seppukku
Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Toyota CEOs cannot built car of there personal choice in there vast lexus/Toyota/Scion stable.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota...ory?id=9700622
Toyota CEO Apologizes to His Customers: 'I Am Deeply Sorry'
Akio Toyoda Apologizes for Safety Problems, Then Drives Away in a Black Audi.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
You still don't understand. Just because Toyota knew of the issue, and did not perform a recall does not mean they are/were criminally negligent.

It depends on a wide variety of issues, along with what the failure rate per vehicle is. Deaths do not always equal recalls.

no it does not depend upon a variety of issues.

1. Did they know about the problem? Absolutely.
2. Could they have forseen someone's death as a result of this issue? Absolutely.
3. Did they take reasonable actions to correct the issue? Absolutely not. As they knew that the floormat fix was ineffective and did not do anything further to try and solve the issue until the media got involved.

They don't know if this latest fix will resolve the issue.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Team Owner

I don't understand how this pedal fix would fix this guy's problem anyway. What does the shim actually fix? Does the pedal become stuck in any position without the shim or just stuck to the floor when fully depressed?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Team Owner

Toyota announces Prius recall in Japan
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ffbe3e10-1...nclick_check=1
Toyota has decided to issue a formal recall of its latest-model Prius petrol-electric hybrid in Japan, and may do the same in the US and other markets, after complaints about problems with its brakes, people close to the situation said on Sunday.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

Toyota Has Pattern of Slow Response on Safety Issue
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/bu...r=yahoofinance
And in early 1996, Toyota engineers discovered that a crucial steering mechanism could fracture on the Hilux Surf, which was sold as the 4Runner in the United States. Toyota started installing a stronger version on new models.

Yet it took Toyota eight more years to start recalling Hilux Surfs and 4Runners built before the 1996 design change, after an accident involving an out-of-control Hilux Surf prompted a police investigation. Toyota received a rebuke from the Japanese government and was ordered to overhaul its recall system.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

This is the first school related incident I have seen.

Toyota strikes wall of Augusta private school
http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...l?v=1265502122
"It was like (the car) was being controlled by a robot or something," Dent said. "That thing accelerated and just went right into the wall."
Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Of course I am not saying that this was not a legitimate case, but I can already here all Toyota owners crying foul when they rear-end someone...
Old 02-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
I don't understand how this pedal fix would fix this guy's problem anyway. What does the shim actually fix? Does the pedal become stuck in any position without the shim or just stuck to the floor when fully depressed?

I'm wondering if the real issue is full throttle situations regarding the ECU and the shim simply prevents the pedal from being fully depressed and hopefully fixing the problems. Unfortunately if it doesn't and someone is killed after this fix it could be close to game over for quite a while. I just don't understand how this fixes the issue? None of the people whose accelerators stuck just pulled the pedal back and cured the issue? And if the did and it didn't , then the shim won't work.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Race Director

"It was like (the car) was being controlled by a robot or something," Dent said. "That thing accelerated and just went right into the wall."
That quote was probably also said by someone during the Audi unintended acceleration fiasco. Only much later was it shown that most of the incidents were driver caused and not caused by any issue with the car.

Since it's impossible to prove a negative, virtually anyone can blame unintended acceleration on any car on the recall list - even after some supposed fix is installed.

Quick Reply: Toyota: Recall News