Porsche: 911 News

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I bet It has NOTHING to do as to which one is better, but to what LH Wanted.
agreed - it's just personal preference.

btw in terms of performance for a sports car, DSG is clearly "better".
Old 05-07-2013 | 11:40 AM
Some dude

I think its different for each and every car. When I bought my GTI I went with the DSG because it just felt better then the manual. When I picked up the BRZ I had test driven an automatic FR-S before it and I hated it.
Old 05-07-2013 | 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mikeschicagoRL
I think its different for each and every car. When I bought my GTI I went with the DSG because it just felt better then the manual. When I picked up the BRZ I had test driven an automatic FR-S before it and I hated it.
agreed, it can certainly depend on the car.
Old 05-07-2013 | 03:21 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by srika
agreed - it's just personal preference.
People have to keep that in mind. That feeling of involvement you experience form a manual, it's a feeling. That you experience. Maybe you get a kick out of waving your arm around and having to press your foot all throughout your commute, it's your thing. Other people get a thrill from driving a faster better car. I used to have a manual, I insisted on it for my first car. Now I get my fun from driving with one foot on the gas and the other hovering over the brake, with my fingers on the paddles, both hands on the wheel at all times when I'm doing a sharp turn. I get satisfaction knowing that my car shifts faster AND brakes faster. And when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic I don't get the annoyance of working the clutch non stop, I don't remember that being fun at all.
Old 05-07-2013 | 05:15 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
People have to keep that in mind. That feeling of involvement you experience form a manual, it's a feeling. That you experience.
You mean like the same kind of feeling when you have real sex instead of handjob? Yes, driving a manual is a feeling and a glorious one at that. Not quite sure what your point is.

Now I get my fun from driving with one foot on the gas and the other hovering over the brake, with my fingers on the paddles, both hands on the wheel at all times when I'm doing a sharp turn. I get satisfaction knowing that my car shifts faster AND brakes faster.
Do you really drive that on public roads or on the track?

And when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic I don't get the annoyance of working the clutch non stop, I don't remember that being fun at all.
That's because you're not an enthusiast, belzegrandmama.

BTW, yes I have test driven the 991 (both base and S versions) with both manual and PDK. And yes, I "get" that the technical competence of a PDK is unbeatable on the track, but how many of us actually make track time in our every day cars? I can't speak for all sports car drivers, but the every day fun and engagement of a manual beats the pants off shift-0-matic.

Flamesuit on in the 911 appreciation thread.
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013 | 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

btw just to clarify - I don't have anything against PDK or any of the other auto systems - I know it caters to certain people and certain people love it - and that is absolutely fine - I just wish Porsche continued offering the MT as an option and it's completely sad to me that it's no longer an option.
Old 05-07-2013 | 05:25 PM
I feel the need...

btw just to clarify - I don't have anything against PDK or any of the other auto systems - I know it caters to certain people and certain people love it - and that is absolutely fine - I just wish Porsche continued offering the MT as an option and it's completely sad to me that it's no longer an option.
Totally agreed. PDK is awesome and I was pleasantly surprised by how well it performed. It's too bad Stuttgart is waving the white flag on progress, but I understand the economics of car building as well.

My feeling is that anyone locking in a 991 with a 7-MT while they are still being made will eventually carry higher residual. Just a hunch.
Old 05-07-2013 | 08:07 PM
Ultra Negro

Yeah that is my big thing, I didn't know they offered a 7 speed transmission so apparently they didn't publicity correctly otherwise I would have heard of it, I mean I am on auto blog and jalopnik everyday, so maybe I missed it but still don't recall it all of them offering a 7 speed transmission.
Old 05-07-2013 | 08:52 PM
Suzuka Master

How the fuck did you not know about that when you quoted the article in a post above?
Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
and auto blog said it best

"We're not whipping the car around Le Mans, so Porsche can keep the faster-than-human shifts of the double-clutch box. We want our third pedal."
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/05/2...anual-gearbox/
The Porsche marketing machine calls the new manual "puristic," which, given the company's enthusiasm for the PDK, we assume to mean "dated." We're fine with that, though. We're not whipping the car around Le Mans, so Porsche can keep the faster-than-human shifts of the double-clutch box. We want our third pedal. Hit the jump to check out the video for yourself. Thanks for the tip, GT6!

Oh my goodness.
Old 05-07-2013 | 09:15 PM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
How the fuck did you not know about that when you quoted the article in a post above?

[/I]

Oh my goodness.
you know what i mean usuallt they have that type of stuff in a commercial like chrysler has the 8 speed auto in theirs

you just kinda miss it

but I can understand what you mean
Old 05-07-2013 | 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Wow, lots of vitriol in these posts. I daily drove a 6 speed manual 997.1 C2S for 4 years and most recently a DCT California for 1.5 years.

Let's stop right there. I never said the feeling is similar to driving a manual & I don't believe ttribe did, either. I said it has more in common with a manual than an automatic, in terms of how the transmission acts. Drive a DCT-equipped vehicle at slow speeds. You'll find they're very jerky & unpredictable, and you can feel the transmission trying to depress or release the clutch; they're not fun at all to drive in slow traffic (kind of like a manual).

Please. You & I both know any manual owner outside the enthusiast market doesn't know how to heel-toe for shit (I doubt a large portion of enthusiasts themselves can do it), or gives any thought to the "additional thinking, calculation, & motions" bs. Then you have those people who think they know all this, & still do dumb things such as riding the clutch or making shifts at the wrong points.

I'll agree a manual is more fun because it's more engaging, physically, but not because I can make the car do something so much more that a DCT transmission can't.
+1. Single clutch tranny on LP560-4 is even more jerky. Bunch of my friends prefer this neck-jarring type of transmission as more sporty. I always drive the DCT in manual mode

It doesn't matter anyway. The manufacturers gave the public a chance to keep manuals in development & it turned out the only people who wanted them were those who could not even afford them to begin with.

From a financial standpoint, it's ridiculous to keep something in development that no one/a minority buys.
+1

Have you ever driven one? Because it shares more in common with a manual than an automatic, more than you might think.

Why? No one was buying the 7-speeds when they came out, why should Porsche cater to manual owners now?

Again, the manufacturers gave the public a chance to prove people still wanted manuals. And yet no one bought them. It is a poor financial move to engineer the car for a transmission that doesn't justify enough in sales.

It has become ever so apparent, that the majority of people who complain about no more manuals in exotics are people who can't afford them to begin with. Why should any manufacturer listen to someone whose only involvement with them is window shopping.
+1.

"The head of engine development at Ferrari, Vittorio Dini, says manual transmissions have had their day, with the latest twin-clutch automatic transmission offered in the 458 Italia providing quicker acceleration and better fuel economy than a manual.
“The manual gearbox has been a tradition for us but almost nobody buys one anymore,” he says.
He says the take-up of manual transmissions on the forerunner to the 458, the F430, was just five per cent, while demand for a self-shifting box on the recently released California convertible was even less."

I too used to be in the Manual or nothing camp (still am to a point). I still much prefer the Manual over the auto, BUT if there was also a DSG style trans offered i would take that now. I agree with your assessment of the joy to drive a manual, but there is also more to a manual than what you posted. While i agree that the above do make the manual great, Another thing they were designed for was and the track (vs auto) and spirited driving and having more control of the car. While not everyone takes their car to a track to truly have fun and experience the full potential of the car, I do and it does make the car better for me. The DSG trans are the modern upgrade, just like Kers style systems being offered by porsche, ferrari, mclaren ect.. They are designed to make the car better, and many hate the fact its a "Hybrid" of sorts. Personally i want what makes the car better/faster. Especially for me when i spend much time driving spirited,and some track time.
"Auto accelerates quicker than the manual because power isn’t interrupted by gear changes. With the auto, the car is actually accelerating during the gear changes, while on the manual, the power delivery is interrupted. A dual-clutch transmission can accelerate faster than a manual because it can pre-select gears before they are engaged. While one clutch engages first gear, the other clutch has already engaged second gear, so that gear changes are instantaneous."

Originally Posted by mikeschicagoRL
+1. As a daily driver, I am much happier with the DCT of the F-car. I always drive in "manual" mode and with the Sports setting the car is still very lively, engaging, and visceral. I've driven the 458 Spider at length and the feeling is mutual.

If my ride was a weekend warrior, reference would be traditional manual. Stop and go traffic is a daily nuisance and rendered my daily driving experience with the 911 as more of chore than pleasure.

I was offered a slot for the 991 GT3 but I think I would miss owning a Ferrari. It's much more special for me but YMMV.

Finally, while I wouldn't call the 911 mass-produced, as a former owner I would say they are far from exclusive.

"The latest generation of the iconic 911 was highly coveted in 2012 and achieved the greatest growth with a 31.4 percent increase in sales: a total of 25,475 vehicles were sold worldwide."
Old 05-07-2013 | 09:57 PM
brahs be jelly

Where did I say anything about the feeling, though?

Let's throw in this part as well since you wanted to quote my last post as well.
The majority of 911 buyers are not enthusiasts looking for a manual fun. They are people looking to show off their wealth.

911 owners are just like F430 & Gallardo owners with a smaller checkbook.
Not really, but whatever, then.

What kind of weak ass argument is this? Celebrities order special shit all the time.
So explain Ferrari? Koenigsegg? Pagani? All companies who have phased out or phasing out manuals.

[/I]

Oh my goodness.
Why are you so furious?
Old 05-07-2013 | 10:10 PM
Suzuka Master

There's no "furious" here. Just replies to a lot of uninformed comments being made by fans of dead technology.

Still waiting to see how Hamilton's manual-preference in a Zonda had any validity btw.
Old 05-07-2013 | 10:54 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
You mean like the same kind of feeling when you have real sex instead of handjob? Yes, driving a manual is a feeling and a glorious one at that. Not quite sure what your point is.
I don't know what your point is with that comment Fibo, you're saying when you're moving that shift knob around it feel like you're having sex (not that there's anything wrong with that) or does it feel like you're giving a HJ (or getting one)?

Do you really drive that on public roads or on the track?
I have my left foot free so I use it. Or I rest it and use just my right foot. I can do either one with an auto. I'm not on a race track but when I'm carving through traffic I'd like to get that extra car length of stopping distance, it could in some situations mean the difference between paying for some damage or not. Not all of us have a car that needs a nose job (you knew that was coming sooner or later).

That's because you're not an enthusiast, belzegrandmama.
That's what they said about CDs vs LPs too, old man, we heard the same story back then.

BTW, yes I have test driven the 991 (both base and S versions) with both manual and PDK. And yes, I "get" that the technical competence of a PDK is unbeatable on the track, but how many of us actually make track time in our every day cars?
So now you're saying if it doesn't get you an advantage off the track, it's not useful. But the every day usability of a PDK in traffic beats a manual. You don't have to go to the track. You're being a hypocrite, you want to feel "engaged" every day with the car but you're making fun of others for being "engaged" with the car by being able to use both pedals and the immediacy of shifting from the steering wheel.

I can't speak for all sports car drivers, but the every day fun and engagement of a manual beats the pants off shift-0-matic.
You could have just said that and left out all the flame bait.
Old 05-08-2013 | 05:59 AM
I feel the need...

I don't know what your point is with that comment Fibo, you're saying when you're moving that shift knob around it feel like you're having sex (not that there's anything wrong with that) or does it feel like you're giving a HJ (or getting one)?
I was attempting to make a humorous response to your "feelings" post. The point of a manual is that it makes a driver "feel" more engaged in the act of driving.

I have my left foot free so I use it. Or I rest it and use just my right foot. I can do either one with an auto. I'm not on a race track but when I'm carving through traffic I'd like to get that extra car length of stopping distance, it could in some situations mean the difference between paying for some damage or not. Not all of us have a car that needs a nose job (you knew that was coming sooner or later).
So your point is that you are a very aggressive driver on public roads.

As for the nose job on my 6MT TL, yep I've been on record many times that the power plenum is certainly not Acura's strongest feature (understatement), but there were few choices in the class for an AWD sedan with some decent tech/luxury AND a manual. I didn't feel like paying 20k more for an S4 along with a higher cost of ownership.

That's what they said about CDs vs LPs too, old man, we heard the same story back then.
Who said anything about standing in the way of progress? I can appreciate classic cars as much as the next guy, and I passed on a low mileage NSX for the same reason. I simply like having options and am not looking to shave a few tenths off my lap time, thus no urgent need for an automatic.

So now you're saying if it doesn't get you an advantage off the track, it's not useful. But the every day usability of a PDK in traffic beats a manual. You don't have to go to the track. You're being a hypocrite, you want to feel "engaged" every day with the car but you're making fun of others for being "engaged" with the car by being able to use both pedals and the immediacy of shifting from the steering wheel.
I'm simply saying different strokes for different folks. Pretty sure not too many driving enthusiasts are agreeing with your point that a PDK is more engaging.

You could have just said that and left out all the flame bait.
Coming from the grandfather of flame bait in R&P.
Old 05-08-2013 | 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

There's no "furious" here. Just replies to a lot of uninformed comments being made by fans of dead technology.

Still waiting to see how Hamilton's manual-preference in a Zonda had any validity btw.
lol @ "dead technology"

The vinyl vs CD vs MP3 analogy is perfectly applicable here. There are plenty of people still listening to vinyl and very much enjoying the added feeling and experience thereof, and vinyl is still being produced today. Sure it is a special niche market and not the majority, but the fact is it is not "dead technology". It will never go away. Likewise, while manufacturers are pulling away from MT, there will always be manufacturers who do. And I personally see MT making a comeback sometime in the future, like some kind of renaissance movement where people want to get the joy back into the driving experience.

The Hamilton reference is a fact that backs up the claims being made by MT enthusiasts in here (and many other places) that the MT experience is substantially more engaging and fun than the paddle-shift experience. An accomplished F1 driver wanting a special model Zonda but needing a MT put in it for his own personal preference does indicate a specific desire for that specific experience based on specific preferences. It is relevant and valid in our discussion here.
Old 05-08-2013 | 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

just coincidentally noticed this relevant link about this 'dead technology'; one that is along the lines of the "renaissance" I mentioned above

http://jalopnik.com/genius-parents-c...manu-496309265

<header class="mtn mbm">Genius Parents Curb Teen's Distracted Driving With Manual Transmission

</header> If Jalopnik were to start handing out Parent of the Year awards, Seattleites Holly Johnson and her husband would have to be the top choices. They found the solution to distracted driving that we have LITERALLY BEEN PREACHING FOR YEARS — they bought their teenager a car with a stick shift. Huzzah! Sorry to get all Sam Kinison on you like that, but it does my heart good to see this story from TV station KING5. The Johnsons just bought their 16-year-old son Riley a Mazda3 hatchback with a manual transmission because they're worried that he, like many teens, will be tempted to mess with phone or drink ridiculous Starbucks coffee drinks behind the wheel instead of actually driving. By getting him a manual Mazda3 — an excellent car for a teen, or anyone, really — the Johnsons are ensuring that he'll stay focused on the act of driving. Seriously, give these people a medal. Here's what Riley says:
“I'll always have my hand in the middle dash area,” he said. “I can't really drink anything, until like I'm at a stop light or anything.”
THIS. That's how it should be. Granted, Riley, the best way to drive isn't to have your hand on the stick at all times, but you'll get there eventually. It's kind of a funny story in a way, like how the TV reporters and the parents treat the manual like some zany, anachronistic novelty. One of them even compares the car to the Model T, which is not correct at all. The fact that this is a news story at all is pretty ridiculous.
Old 05-08-2013 | 01:38 PM
I'm the Firestarter

So your point is that you are a very aggressive driver on public roads.
My point is that I have a higher safety margin, even when I'm not doing "spirited driving".

So you bought a TL instead of an S4 and did not consider an A4 for example, because... you wanted the power of an S4? I thought you were not looking to shave tenths off your lap time? Oh wait, you "need" the 270hp or whatever so that you can "merge safely on onramps", right? Unlike the 95% of people who have much slower cars than yours and who are unsafe?

You keep making these wishy washy arguments about "being engaged" but not too engaged (you're not a racer) but you want a fast car but you don't want to shave tenths off your lap time... And there's only ONE way feel "engaged", your MT way, if someone else likes feeling "engaged" by using a PDK/manumatic for the reasons I mentioned that's just silly, right? Only your way of feeling engaged is the correct way.

I'm simply saying different strokes for different folks.
No I'm saying that, you're making fun of me for saying that you can feel engaged driving a manumatic.

Pretty sure not too many driving enthusiasts are agreeing with your point that a PDK is more engaging.
You sure about that?

On one hand we have Lewis Hamilton who bought a special Zonda because he's an F1 driver and he said he already drives paddles at work. On the other hand you have 90%+ of Ferrari customers who buy race cars, drive their cars in races, and buy the hundreds of special race-made Ferraris with manumatics, to the point where Ferrari decides that it's not even worth offering most of their cars with manuals.

I'd say the enthusiasts have voted overwhelmingly against the manuals.

Coming from the grandfather of flame bait in R&P.
In R&P it's expected, and I get way more than I dish. Here it's just poor taste.
Old 05-08-2013 | 07:22 PM
I feel the need...

My point is that I have a higher safety margin, even when I'm not doing "spirited driving".
Puhleeze, really? Your trying to convince us that two footing your automatic on public roads is your "safety" margin.

So you bought a TL instead of an S4 and did not consider an A4 for example, because... you wanted the power of an S4? I thought you were not looking to shave tenths off your lap time? Oh wait, you "need" the 270hp or whatever so that you can "merge safely on onramps", right? Unlike the 95% of people who have much slower cars than yours and who are unsafe.
TL offered similar performance to an S4 but was twenty grand cheaper, probably close to 30k when you count the all-in for six years of ownership. I don't feel the need to make a fashion statement with my daily driver, and yes I was looking for a bit more power after my first gen TSX.

You keep making these wishy washy arguments about "being engaged" but not too engaged (you're not a racer) but you want a fast car but you don't want to shave tenths off your lap time... And there's only ONE way feel "engaged", your MT way, if someone else likes feeling "engaged" by using a PDK/manumatic for the reasons I mentioned that's just silly, right? Only your way of feeling engaged is the correct way.
Go back and look at my posts, where did I ever try to convince you or anyone else that manual was the ONLY correct way. I merely said it was my preference and am bummed to see that Porsche is not offering the option in the GT3 and Turbo (yet). Maybe they'll change their mind.

No I'm saying that, you're making fun of me for saying that you can feel engaged driving a manumatic.
It was in good natured jest, not meant to be a personal affront.

In R&P it's expected, and I get way more than I dish. Here it's just poor taste.
We've exchanged enough banter in many a thread to not take each other too seriously in teh interwebz.
Old 05-08-2013 | 09:29 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Puhleeze, really? Your trying to convince us that two footing your automatic on public roads is your "safety" margin.
And I suppose you're going to claim that LED tail lights don't offer any additional safety margin over an incandescent? It's a measurable fact, just like the fact that pressing a brake pedal takes less time than taking your foot off the gas, moving it over the brake and then pressing the brake pedal. You know darn well that in a panic stop it adds a few feet, just like LED lights.

It's something you can't do with a manual, and it increases the driver's involvement, in a different way than a manual.

Now since you apparently never said that an MT is the ONLY way to increase driver involvement, now is the time when you can grudgingly concede that I'm right, or just keep on making fun of my argument while denying you ever did a few lines later. Or try to save face and say "haha, I was just kidding!"

Go back and look at my posts, where did I ever try to convince you or anyone else that manual was the ONLY correct way. I merely said it was my preference and am bummed to see that Porsche is not offering the option in the GT3 and Turbo (yet). Maybe they'll change their mind.

It was in good natured jest, not meant to be a personal affront.

We've exchanged enough banter in many a thread to not take each other too seriously in teh interwebz.
Of course. Still, you insulted the involvement feelings of manumatic users and you must substantiate your argument or be e-punished.
Old 05-09-2013 | 02:37 AM
Suzuka Master

just coincidentally noticed this relevant link about this 'dead technology'; one that is along the lines of the "renaissance" I mentioned above

Because manual drivers are never as capable of being distracted as automatic owners.
When I had my Si, I didn't find it hard at all to answer my phone or play with the radio. As I said earlier, after you get it down, driving a manual becomes second nature enabling you to do all the stupid shit an automatic driver becomes distracted by. I love how the article also points out that he doesn't keep both hands on the wheel. Seems to the tool used to discourage doing anything distracting is doing just that.

Rethink how you want to debate this dying (is that better?) technology & come back, then.
The Hamilton reference is a fact that backs up the claims being made by MT enthusiasts in here (and many other places) that the MT experience is substantially more engaging and fun than the paddle-shift experience. An accomplished F1 driver wanting a special model Zonda but needing a MT put in it for his own personal preference does indicate a specific desire for that specific experience based on specific preferences. It is relevant and valid in our discussion here.
Let's read the article on why Hamilton chose a manual next time since it actually makes more sense as to why he chose a manual in comparison as to why any of us would.
The 2008 Formula One champion has apparently opted for the self-shifter because his ‘company car’ has a paddle-shift gearbox and when he drives for fun he prefers a manual.
He drives an paddle-operated car as his actual profession, so him wanting a manual is most likely to switch it up.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 05-09-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2013 | 02:40 AM
Senior Moderator

lol the article doesn't even say for a fact that Hamilton said himself that that is the reason why he did that. all it says is "apparently"

btw I'm not talking about this stuff quite nearly as seriously as you are

and regarding the manual gearbox lowering the chance of distracted driving, well sure there are times when you don't need to be shifting. but overall I think it's easy to agree that it lowers the opportunity for distracted driving
Old 05-09-2013 | 02:48 AM
Suzuka Master

lol the article doesn't even say for a fact that Hamilton said himself that that is the reason why he did that. all it says is "apparently"
Then what did he say was the reason?

btw I'm not talking about this stuff quite nearly as seriously as you are
Serious or not, you haven't done any effort at arguing your point.
and regarding the manual gearbox lowering the chance of distracted driving, well sure there are times when you don't need to be shifting. but overall I think it's easy to agree that it lowers the opportunity for distracted driving
It may lower the opportunity, but it does nothing in any significant way of actually discouraging it.
Old 05-09-2013 | 02:56 AM
Senior Moderator

so it was a quote from him - but he's said what he did in jest, according to this - the FACT is that he wanted a Zonda 760RS, but he also wanted to get it custom made with a manual gearbox in it. Come on, this is not rocket science. Pretty easy to understand why he would have wanted that.
It seems that Hamilton wants a traditional manual transmission, and has a refreshing sense of humor: “My company car has a paddle-change gearbox, so when I drive for fun, I want a manual.”
http://www.imaginelifestyles.com/lux...lewis-hamilton
Old 05-09-2013 | 02:57 AM
Senior Moderator

I get the impression you just like arguing.

It's a personal preference of yours, just like driving MT is one of mine.
Old 05-09-2013 | 06:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dr. Colorado

"Auto accelerates quicker than the manual because power isn’t interrupted by gear changes. With the auto, the car is actually accelerating during the gear changes, while on the manual, the power delivery is interrupted. A dual-clutch transmission can accelerate faster than a manual because it can pre-select gears before they are engaged. While one clutch engages first gear, the other clutch has already engaged second gear, so that gear changes are instantaneous."
I know. I never said it didnt.
Old 05-09-2013 | 06:54 AM
Senior Moderator

<header class="mtn mbm">Genius Parents Curb Teen's Distracted Driving With Manual Transmission

</header> If Jalopnik were to start handing out Parent of the Year awards, Seattleites Holly Johnson and her husband would have to be the top choices. They found the solution to distracted driving that we have LITERALLY BEEN PREACHING FOR YEARS — they bought their teenager a car with a stick shift. Huzzah! Sorry to get all Sam Kinison on you like that, but it does my heart good to see this story from TV station KING5. The Johnsons just bought their 16-year-old son Riley a Mazda3 hatchback with a manual transmission because they're worried that he, like many teens, will be tempted to mess with phone or drink ridiculous Starbucks coffee drinks behind the wheel instead of actually driving. By getting him a manual Mazda3 — an excellent car for a teen, or anyone, really — the Johnsons are ensuring that he'll stay focused on the act of driving. Seriously, give these people a medal. Here's what Riley says:
“I'll always have my hand in the middle dash area,” he said. “I can't really drink anything, until like I'm at a stop light or anything.”
THIS. That's how it should be. Granted, Riley, the best way to drive isn't to have your hand on the stick at all times, but you'll get there eventually. It's kind of a funny story in a way, like how the TV reporters and the parents treat the manual like some zany, anachronistic novelty. One of them even compares the car to the Model T, which is not correct at all. The fact that this is a news story at all is pretty ridiculous.

Yea, because he will never get used to driving stick and have the ability to be distracted
Old 05-09-2013 | 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

so it was a quote from him - but he's said what he did in jest, according to this - the FACT is that he wanted a Zonda 760RS, but he also wanted to get it custom made with a manual gearbox in it. Come on, this is not rocket science. Pretty easy to understand why he would have wanted that.
http://www.imaginelifestyles.com/lux...lewis-hamilton
It doesn't change my original point, then. He has a more a valid reason for wanting a manual than most owners; he spends all day in a paddle-shift car. Whether he said it in jest or not doesn't change that.

I get the impression you just like arguing.
I get the impression you just like making comments about things without giving any research into them.

Don't blame it on me just replying for the sake of it; you're the one making these comments. Be prepared to back them up.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 05-09-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2013 | 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

if you think I'm stupid for the comments I make, I can't really stop you there.

how about I save you some work - let's just agree that I'm stupid, so you don't have to feel the need in the future to respond to what I say.
Old 05-09-2013 | 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

It doesn't change my original point, then. He has a more a valid reason for wanting a manual than most owners; he spends all day in a paddle-shift car. Whether he said it in jest or not doesn't change that.
point taken, that might be possible. although, you are making an assumption, since we don't have a serious quote from him saying why exactly he did what he did.
I get the impression you just like making comments about things without giving any research into them.

Don't blame it on me just replying for the sake of it; you're the one making these comments. Be prepared to back them up.
Welcome to the internet. People read and see things, people respond. And last time I checked, they don't research every sentence they make before saying it. I think that's just people like you who do that.

I don't even know why we are talking so serious about this, people (like me) just made some comments about preferring MT and I actually did say *why* I prefer it, and I then also said I don't have a problem with the paddle-shift methods, and that was that. For some reason you choose to react the way you do. This is just an internet discussion thread, we are not writing research papers here. We read and comment on news stories. And generally speaking we can do it in a civilized manner. It's people like you who disrupt that regular communication.
Old 05-09-2013 | 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

point taken, that might be possible. although, you are making an assumption, since we don't have a serious quote from him saying why exactly he did what he did.
You're right, we don't. But what article reports is closer in relation to what I said.
Welcome to the internet. People read and see things, people respond. And last time I checked, they don't research every sentence they make before saying it. I think that's just people like you who do that.
And there's my reply to you.

Whether or not you think before making comments doesn't excuse you from your ignorance or from anyone replying to it.

And just some honest advice; bringing up anything not in relation to the topic like post counts, posting styles, responses, or whatever shows everyone else you no longer have the ability to discuss the actual topic anymore & that you have to resort to something else to try to make your point.
I don't even know why we are talking so serious about this, people (like me) just made some comments about preferring MT and I actually did say *why* I prefer it, and I then also said I don't have a problem with the paddle-shift methods, and that was that.
You made a post that was obviously in reply to me & ttribe about the way a DCT feels in relation more to a manual than an automatic & took it that we meant it in the same sense as driving feeling.

Then you finished that post up with a "solution" to all the confusion regarding manuals.
I'll spell it out since there seems to be some confusion. The joy of driving MT is not the harsher shifts that are felt strongly i.e. not smoothly (but which can also be quite smooth if you want them to be); the joy of driving MT involves the additional physical acts required, the additional thinking, calculation, and motions to keep the car moving effectively, the joy of heel-and-toeing, and the spirited active nature of being in complete physical control of the car's motion.
There was no confusion, we are all aware of what makes a manual fun to some. It's the notion that you were going to clear the confusion by "spelling it out". The reasons you ended up giving though, were complete exaggeration of most manual owners.

I challenged your post & you replied back. So, you can stop continuously playing the silly little, "I just posting my opinion & did not say anything wrong". The evidence is just a page back.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 05-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2013 | 05:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah, so that's what triggered your response to this. This is you just taking what I said personally and too literally. People say sh*t all the time all over the place on the internet. Again, welcome to the internet. If you can't handle it, turn your computer off. Don't take things so damn personally.
Old 05-09-2013 | 05:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Also, this is not the first time we've butted heads like this. Each and every time, it's been you taking things literally, seriously, personally. Lighten up, I don't mean any harm. When I said that I'll spell it out since there's some confusion, there is some obvious tongue-in-cheek going on there.
Old 05-09-2013 | 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Ah, so that's what triggered your response to this. This is you just taking what I said personally and too literally.
Did nothing of the sort. You responded to a post I made, I responded back because you confused what I meant.
People say sh*t all the time all over the place on the internet. Again, welcome to the internet. If you can't handle it, turn your computer off. Don't take things so damn personally.
So that's an excuse to say stupid shit? Here's 1 better. I can reply to whatever I see fit.

Take your own advice, bud. It's the internet & if you can't handle people responding to your comments, maybe you need to turn your computer off, & go outside to take some more pictures of the club or Chicago or whatever.

There's absolutely nothing personal about this, either, so you can quit trying to play that card. I'm not the one shedding tears about someone replying to my posts.
Old 05-09-2013 | 05:31 PM
Senior Moderator

not sure why we are having this conversation then.
Old 05-09-2013 | 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I know. I never said it didnt.
I was posting the quote in support of your statement
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-09-2013 | 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't understand why you bother with someone who considers the 911 a flawed design

"Quote:
the rear engine design that is a descendant of VW and the Beetle, is its glaring imperfection.

Originally posted by me
"Glaring imperfection" are you really that ignorant? Are you cognizant of what percentage of the top 50 production car lap times at Nurburgring involved this "glaring imperfection."

I guess the countless racing wins around the world with 911s fraught with "glaring imperfections" were all just flukes then? That entire racing series such as the Porsche Cup which utilize cars with "glaring imperfections" renders them pointless and trivial?

I wouldn't call it an imperfection. I for one like that the rear-end slides as I'm accelerating around a turn and I have spent considerable seat time in a Cayman S. Many professional drivers seem to share my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the Porsche forums are filled with mid-engine/Cayman vs. rear-engine/911 debate. The mid-engine certainly deserves merit, but for you to belittle the rich heritage of the modern 911 engine is so ludicrous as to be amusing"
Old 05-09-2013 | 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

The proof is in the pudding

My boy's Cup car

and his daily

Different strokes for different folks
Old 05-09-2013 | 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't understand why you bother with someone who considers the 911 a flawed design

"Quote:
the rear engine design that is a descendant of VW and the Beetle, is its glaring imperfection.

Originally posted by me
"Glaring imperfection" are you really that ignorant? Are you cognizant of what percentage of the top 50 production car lap times at Nurburgring involved this "glaring imperfection."

I guess the countless racing wins around the world with 911s fraught with "glaring imperfections" were all just flukes then? That entire racing series such as the Porsche Cup which utilize cars with "glaring imperfections" renders them pointless and trivial?

I wouldn't call it an imperfection. I for one like that the rear-end slides as I'm accelerating around a turn and I have spent considerable seat time in a Cayman S. Many professional drivers seem to share my opinion.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and the Porsche forums are filled with mid-engine/Cayman vs. rear-engine/911 debate. The mid-engine certainly deserves merit, but for you to belittle the rich heritage of the modern 911 engine is so ludicrous as to be amusing"
Went straight for the old handbook of Clarkson, did he?

BTW, great design on your buddy's Cup car.
Old 05-09-2013 | 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

"Quote:

Originally posted by me

That comment I made was about early 911s and the key notorious issue they were known for. They have since honed and fine-tuned that over the past couple of decades to where it's an incredible car now. I think I made an error in saying that there was still some current application, there isn't.

Quick Reply: Porsche: 911 News