Monthly Car Sales news

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PortlandRL
Hyundai is continuing to do very well, setting an all-time record month and all-time record first quarter. The Genesis set its 21st consecutive month-over-month sales increase and the Equus is already surpassing sales expectations.

As always, red indicates a decrease over same month last year (in parentheses) and green indicates an increase. Due to its fledgling status, the Equus will be shown in black.

Accent: 5,739 (4,233)
Sonata: 22,894 (18,935)
Elantra: 19,255 (8,225)
Santa Fe: 5,701 (9,548)
Azera: 199 (225)
Tucson: 4,508 (3,084)
Veracruz: 672 (607)
Genesis: 2,664 (2,145)
Equus: 241 (N/A)

TOTAL: 61,873 (47,002)

Press Release: http://hyundainews.com/Corporate_New...es_Release.asp
I dont think Hyundai is doing that great. Sonata/Elantra are new designs and so is Equus. Equus are barely better than 7 year old RL.
Genesis is even lower than TL by several hundreds.
Things will get interesting when New Altima/Sentra, Camry, Civic/Accord, Ford Focus goes in full motion.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
kinda weird Nissan is boasting about a 1 month sales win.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The Accord sold 33,616 and the Altima sold 32,289. I'm a bit confused as to how Nissan is claiming that the Altima was the best-selling sedan in March.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb CrossTour

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
The Accord sold 33,616 and the Altima sold 32,289. I'm a bit confused as to how Nissan is claiming that the Altima was the best-selling sedan in March.
When the Accord CrossTour's #s are taken out of the total, the Altima wins. However, there is still the question of how many coupes both have ... so if they wanted to get picky, they could say that the Altima was the best selling sedan/coupe (unless Nissan has access to that kind of info but Honda & Nissan do not divide out their coupe sales).
Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
Wow @ the Altima....doesnt look too good for the new Sonata or Optima
I hate very few cars but the Altima is at the very top of that list...my hate for that car knows absolutely no bounds and I despise everything about it. I would rather drive a 1995 Land Rover with bad electrics and leaking windows over a brand new Altima. I have never encountered a car as soulless as that....it is a box to get you places; nothing more. We had one as a rental in Boston last year and while I was only in it for a few minutes, I felt like I was sitting in a hospital waiting room full of dying people and that I might catch whatever they had and die momentarily, as well. And this is coming from the guy who has driven his fair share of appliance-type vehicles.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:30 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
^ I felt that way about the Camry and the '11 Accord LX loaner currently in my driveway.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by TSX69
When the Accord CrossTour's #s are taken out of the total, the Altima wins. However, there is still the question of how many coupes both have ... so if they wanted to get picky, they could say that the Altima was the best selling sedan/coupe (unless Nissan has access to that kind of info but Honda & Nissan do not divide out their coupe sales).
Well the article says
March also saw the Nissan Altima take the title of best-selling sedan in America, another company 1st.
. Like you said, those sales numbers include coupe sales also. Unless Nissan clarifies how many coupes were sold, the article is misleading.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by TSX69
(unless Nissan has access to that kind of info but Honda & Nissan do not divide out their coupe sales).
I'm sure they do. they split sales of the G into sedan and coupe...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...119068799.html
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hate very few cars but the Altima is at the very top of that list...my hate for that car knows absolutely no bounds and I despise everything about it. I would rather drive a 1995 Land Rover with bad electrics and leaking windows over a brand new Altima. I have never encountered a car as soulless as that....it is a box to get you places; nothing more. We had one as a rental in Boston last year and while I was only in it for a few minutes, I felt like I was sitting in a hospital waiting room full of dying people and that I might catch whatever they had and die momentarily, as well. And this is coming from the guy who has driven his fair share of appliance-type vehicles.
Nah, that is the spot completely held by the Camry, Malibu, and Accord. If anything, most people will tell you that if you want a sporty family sedan that has a little bit more fun factor to it, Mazda 6 or Altima is your way to go.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The Altima may have a competent chassis but the CVT hurts a lot. I've gotten used to the seemingly endless drone of a CVT but that doesn't mean I like it.

The new Accord I'd say is still more confidence inspiring than the Camry (though I can't speak for the SE) but it's ever increasing size gives the impression that it's a cruiser more than a sports sedan. But, my bias may be showing as I've generally never liked the way any Camry drove, past or present. I will say the Accord is slowly nudging towards that direction though... bigger and softer to accommodate growing families and the stereotypical American driver.

Of all things I've only heard good things about the Fusion and to a lesser degree the 6 when it comes to sporting intentions... things like "the 3-series of this segment" and so-on.

I'm still a fan of the Legacy GT above all... relatively pedestrian appearance (read: invisible to LEOs) with the heart of an STi basically. Decent aftermarket if you wish, and if you wanted something nicer with a 6-speed manual and AWD, you'd have to step into the $42k+ realm for the new 4G SH-AWD TL. yikes
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Wow @ the Altima....doesnt look too good for the new Sonata or Optima
Good for Nissan, but Nissan had some pretty aggressive deals on the Altima, not to mention a lot of them have been finding their way to fleet.

The Sonata is limited by supply constraints and the Optima is even more so.

Hyundai sold just about 40k Sonatas and '11 Elantras in March, which at that pace, would translate to selling 480k Sonatas and '11 Elantras for the year.

Hyundai's Alabama plant, which builds the Sonata and '11 Elantra, has an annual production capacity of 300k (that's w/ two 10 hr shifts).

The Optima is currently only being produced in Korea w/ a monthly production of 14k units.

A little more than half of that is slated for the US.

There's a 3 month wait for the Optima in Korea, Australia gets a measly 1k units for the year and the European launch has been delayed twice since there simply aren't any Optimas available.

This shortage won't be alleviated until Kia starts US production of the Optima later this year.

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I dont think Hyundai is doing that great. Sonata/Elantra are new designs and so is Equus. Equus are barely better than 7 year old RL.
Genesis is even lower than TL by several hundreds.
Wow, you know so much about the auto industry!

Considering you stating this...

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Obviously RL design is old so is electronics/engine but measuring Luxury, refinement and quality. there is no one else above RL in this Class
praytell how the Equus outsells the "best in class" RL, esp. since the Equus doesn't come w/ available AWD?

W/ AWD, the Equus would probably garner an increase of 30-35% in sales.

Originally Posted by smarty666
Nah, that is the spot completely held by the Camry, Malibu, and Accord. If anything, most people will tell you that if you want a sporty family sedan that has a little bit more fun factor to it, Mazda 6 or Altima is your way to go.
The Accord has gotten bloated, but it still isn't a bad drive (much better than the Camry).

The Altima was one of the better drivers in the segment, but w/ the CVT, it has really killed the enjoyment.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 AM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Now, speaking of the Elantra...

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Even Honda calls the Crosstour the Accord Crosstour. Toyota makes no mention that the Venza is related to the Camry.
Yeah the Venza is a Camry, even others on here are starting to point out your ridiculousness.
The decision to call something the Accord Crosstour vs. simply the Crosstour or the simply the Venza vs. the Camry Venza is basically a choice in marketing.

The Hyundai Elantra Touring is pretty much a separate model from the Elantra sedan, but Hyundai chose to market it as the Elantra wagon (it would be similar if Hyundai brought over the i40 Estate and marketed it as the Sonata Touring).

Another example, take what Toyota decided to do with the Matrix.

The Corolla sedan and the "Corolla" Matrix are pretty diff. in design on both the outside and inside...

But in this case, Toyota decided to market the Matrix under the Corolla name.

Last edited by YEH; 04-07-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,230 Likes on 4,857 Posts
Thats dragging up an old argument, but where does Toyota market the Matrix as the Corolla Matrix?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Thats dragging up an old argument, but where does Toyota market the Matrix as the Corolla Matrix?
They don't but the sales figures are bundled together which I would guess is what YEH is getting at.

Last edited by dom; 04-07-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Safety Car

Post Altima

It was an unexpected moment in auto sales history last month when Nissan’s Altima outsold the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord.

It has never happened. And in fact, in the long run, it might not happen too many more times in the future.

Not because the Altima is a less competitive car. A simple glance at the sales numbers will testify that it’s as competitive as anyone pleases.

The longer-term issue is factory capacity. Toyota and Honda have the manufacturing muscle to build 400,000 Camrys and Accords a year. Nissan does not.

Nissan has two assembly lines building the Altima -- 1 in Tennessee and 1 in Mississippi. Combined, the plants can give Nissan about 300,000 Altimas a year, or 25,000 to 30,000 a month.

In March, with built-up inventories and a good tailwind in Nissan’s marketing, dealers moved 32,289 Altimas.

In the same month three years earlier, Altima sold 31,000 and change. But in perspective, Toyota sold more than 40,000 Camrys that month. And 1 year before that, the Camry sold more than 42,000 -- a rate of more than half a million a year, if it kept the pace up for 12 months.

If Nissan wants to play at that volume, it’s going to need more factory capacity.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by dom
They don't but the sales figures are bundled together which I would guess is what YEH is getting at.
Ah, I see.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YEH
Good for Nissan, but Nissan had some pretty aggressive deals on the Altima, not to mention a lot of them have been finding their way to fleet.

The Sonata is limited by supply constraints and the Optima is even more so.

Hyundai sold just about 40k Sonatas and '11 Elantras in March, which at that pace, would translate to selling 480k Sonatas and '11 Elantras for the year.

Hyundai's Alabama plant, which builds the Sonata and '11 Elantra, has an annual production capacity of 300k (that's w/ two 10 hr shifts).

The Optima is currently only being produced in Korea w/ a monthly production of 14k units.

A little more than half of that is slated for the US.

There's a 3 month wait for the Optima in Korea, Australia gets a measly 1k units for the year and the European launch has been delayed twice since there simply aren't any Optimas available.

This shortage won't be alleviated until Kia starts US production of the Optima later this year.

Wow, you know so much about the auto industry!

Considering you stating this...

praytell how the Equus outsells the "best in class" RL, esp. since the Equus doesn't come w/ available AWD?

W/ AWD, the Equus would probably garner an increase of 30-35% in sales.

The Accord has gotten bloated, but it still isn't a bad drive (much better than the Camry).

The Altima was one of the better drivers in the segment, but w/ the CVT, it has really killed the enjoyment.
I've go a Max with a CVT and its been really fun to drive when you want it to. I don't know what you and others are complaining about. Yeah, it has a whine during hard acceleration, but other than that, I've kept up with anyone else when needed to. I'll take the 26 mpg avg the CVT gives me for almost 300 HP.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't say its that bad. Its just a little unrefined compared to the segment leaders. The engine is too noisy and the cabin materials are well below industry standards. But those are my only complaints about it.

I didn't find it even slightly sporty in basic trim level. The Mazda 6, Fusion and Accord are much better handling cars IMO. The steering is just way too numb in the Alti, even the Sentra has better feedback.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't say its that bad. Its just a little unrefined compared to the segment leaders. The engine is too noisy and the cabin materials are well below industry standards. But those are my only complaints about it.

I didn't find it even slightly sporty in basic trim level. The Mazda 6, Fusion and Accord are much better handling cars IMO. The steering is just way too numb in the Alti, even the Sentra has better feedback.
Wow, I guess that is why opinions are so different. Except for the Mazda 6, the Altima had better handling than the Fusion and Accord. Its design to be loose at low speeds to make it easier to turn and firms up as your speed increases. Not everyone's cup of tea but I thought it handled pretty well. More responsive then my TL is. I do agree that the Altima was not the best feedback Nissan you could get. That was one of the reasons I got the Max over it, the feedback was just right where the Altima did not seem to either give too little or too much, depending on the road surface. I felt the materials were class competitive against Ford, Mazda, and Hyundai. Maybe slightly below Honda but not much like Nissan used to be. Interesting to see what they do with the 5G Altima for 2012.

Last edited by smarty666; 04-09-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, I guess that is why opinions are so different. Except for the Mazda 6, the Altima had better handling than the Fusion and Accord. Its design to be loose at low speeds to make it easier to turn and firms up as your speed increases. Not everyone's cup of tea but I thought it handled pretty well. More responsive then my TL is. I do agree that the Altima was not the best feedback Nissan you could get. That was one of the reasons I got the Max over it, the feedback was just right where the Altima did not seem to either give too little or too much, depending on the road surface. I felt the materials were class competitive against Ford, Mazda, and Hyundai. Maybe slightly below Honda but not much like Nissan used to be. Interesting to see what they do with the 5G Altima for 2012.

Are you saying the Altima has better steering response than your 3G TL? Do you still own the 3G? I cant imagine how somebody would come to that conclusion if they really have driven both cars...
Old 04-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are you saying the Altima has better steering response than your 3G TL? Do you still own the 3G? I cant imagine how somebody would come to that conclusion if they really have driven both cars...
Sure, I'm talking about the 3G Base. I can't speak for the Type-S since I don't have it. Except for the TSX, the Altima and Maxima have had better steering response then the TL. I still can't imagine how somebody could come to the conclusion that its interior quality is far below everyone else's when every magazine says how great and class competitive Nissan interior's are now. They are certainly better than Toyota and Chevy interiors that is for sure.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Safety Car

Post April 2011

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., posted April sales of 124,799, an increase of 5.7% based on the daily selling rate* compared to April 2010 results of 113,697, the company announced today. American Honda year-to-date sales of 432,777 represent an increase of 14.6% based on the daily selling rate*.

Record-breaking April sales of the CR-V, Fit and Insight pushed April sales of the Honda Division monthly sales to 113,195, an increase of 5.9% versus April 2010. The CR-V crossover utility vehicle was up 25.3% for the month to an April record of 21,683. Sales of the sub-compact Fit increased by 66.3% to an April record of 8,116 and the Insight hybrid increased by 35.4% to an April record of 2,644 units. Sales of Honda cars increased 6.7% overall for the month to 67,536, with Accord and Civic selling 30,310 and 26,777, respectively, for April.

"Honda had another very strong month led by Accord, Civic and CR-V. In fact, sales of the versatile and refined Honda CR-V, America's best-selling SUV, broke records for the third consecutive month," said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda. "While our current dealer supply of vehicles remains adequate, we know that production constraints may start to affect sales into the summer months. However, we are working closely with our dealers, and together we are committed to continue our focus to support the needs of our customers."

Acura Division April 2011 sales increased 4.2% to 11,604 compared to April 2010. The MDX luxury sport utility vehicle led the division with sales of 3,912, an increase of 1.4% over April 2010.

As the warmer months approach, sales of Acura cars have overtaken light truck sales. Led by TSX sport sedan sales of 3,105 units, total Acura car sales for April 2011 were 6,173— up 6.1% based on Daily Selling Rate* (DSR). Total Acura sales were 11,604 units, up 4.2%.

“Last month Acura's line-up of sports sedans showed their strength,” said Jeff Conrad, vice president of Acura sales. “Thanks in part to the all-new TSX Sports Wagon, sales of the fun and practical TSX were up 14.7%.”

The MDX luxury SUV was again Acura’s top selling model with 3,912 units sold, up 1.4%. The RDX crossover SUV was Acura’s next best selling light truck with 1,343 units sold, up 10.7%. Total light truck sales for Acura tallied 5,431 units, up 2.2% compared to April 2010.

While the TSX sports sedan (and all-new TSX Sport Wagon) was the top selling Acura car, the TL performance luxury sedan followed closely in sales with 2,887 units sold— down 2.2%.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

The TL was flat in sales. I feel they should have a slow but steady pick up.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Just as I predicted - Fit sales are taking off. Decent pick up for the Insight.

RL beating out ZDX.

I bet that if Honda made a "regular" Accord wagon it would sell better than the Crosstour.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Fit sales always take off when gas prices go up.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
yeah i'm looking for that upward spike in the coming months, even if marginally. I think the MMC makes it one of the best looking Acuras ever, so I hope it does well. I know if i had the spare change I'd get one.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I bet gas prices will keep sales flat.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
I bet gas prices will keep sales flat.
You may be right. Folks in this price range 35-45k may still factor in fuel economy... I still think there will be positive reception to the MMC. I'm actually crossing my fingers for a slow and steady rise.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Honda Fanboy

You may be right. Folks in this price range 35-45k may still factor in fuel economy... I still think there will be positive reception to the MMC. I'm actually crossing my fingers for a slow and steady rise.
IMO, if anything, gas prices should help the TL considering it's one of the most fuel efficient cars in its class. Gas prices haven't been that high for long enough to affect buyers in this class just yet. I think the flat sales has more to do with dealers not willing to "deal" as much considering the MMC has only been out for a month. Give it a month or two and sale should pick up, assuming the TL hasn't been or won't be affected by Japan.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Give it a month or two and sale should pick up, assuming the TL hasn't been or won't be affected by Japan.
Acura just pulled all incentive monies on TL, TSX and RL. They also removed the special lease rates from these cars, but the APR specials remain but have been adjusted upwards (0.9% becomes 1.9% etc.) This is due to expected supply issues. Our IN posted a detailed message about what to expect (as best as they can tell) Here is an except:
Following are several specific issues we can confirm that will affect your supply of Acura vehicles in the days ahead.
• Regarding Japan production, we will fulfill the existing orders from March and April with May and June production. After that, due to the limited parts supply we will bring in only a very limited number of Japan-built vehicles for the remainder of the year. Fortunately, approximately 80 percent of the vehicles we sell in America are built at Honda plants in North America. However, this may mean several models including TSX, TSX Wagon, and RL will be unavailable for order until later in the year.

• Due to problems with the supply of a pigment used in paint to provide a shiny luster, some existing orders for certain colors of vehicles may need to be reconfigured to other exterior colors. Further, future orders will need to be adjusted to reflect the availability of suitable replacement paints. As this situation varies by model and production facility, we will provide more specific information as this situation unfolds.

• On Thursday, May 5, 2011 you will receive the details of your allocation of June production in North America. The volume allocated to each dealer is severely limited and significantly lower than your last allocation. Furthermore, as we mentioned previously, it will be necessary for Acura to pre-select the colors and trims for your vehicles. With our factories working at a reduced rate, our June production includes vehicles for previously allocated dealer orders. Therefore, we anticipate that your June and July allocations should be the lowest, with future months continuing to improve as we work toward normalized production sometime around the end of the year.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

You know the drill....

http://hyundainews.com/Corporate_New...es_Release.asp

Hyundai posted its best April ever and it's second-best all time month. Genesis has reported it's 22nd consecutive month-over-month sales increase and the Equus continues to best Hyundai's sales projections by 5%.

Accent: 4,390 (2,990)
Sonata: 21,738 (18,536)
Elantra: 22,100 (9,657)
Santa Fe: 5,771 (5,917)
Azera: 191 (237)
Tucson: 4,055 (3,871)
Veracruz: 639 (550)
Genesis: 2,648 (2,265)
Equus: 222 (N/A)
BRAND TOTAL: 61,754 (44,023)

Last edited by PortlandRL; 05-04-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Elantra sales are more than Sonata. despite Sonata has more variations.
In Honda case Accord has always been the better off Civic.
Current Accent is not comparable to Fit. Fit is in Elantra price range

Genesis/Equus is not getting an traction. Even RL is better than Equus because RL is 7 year old and is using TL engine. Try to sell Equus with V6 engine.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ssftsx
elantra sales are more than sonata. Despite sonata has more variations.
In honda case accord has always been the better off civic.
Current accent is not comparable to fit. Fit is in elantra price range

genesis/equus is not getting an traction. Even rl is better than equus because rl is 7 year old and is using tl engine. Try to sell equus with v6 engine.
shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Originally Posted by jwong77
shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up!!!!!!!!!!
Don't feed the troll, man. Just put him on your ignore list like everybody else.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,555 Posts
Gotta wonder where that one S2000 was hiding that sold in April 2011? Production stopped almost two years ago.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:23 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Acura just pulled all incentive monies on TL, TSX and RL. They also removed the special lease rates from these cars, but the APR specials remain but have been adjusted upwards (0.9% becomes 1.9% etc.) This is due to expected supply issues. Our IN posted a detailed message about what to expect (as best as they can tell) Here is an except:
Finally, the 'limited production' excuses are a reality.

All kidding aside, good luck in the months ahead Colin. Sounds like its going to be tough.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Gotta wonder where that one S2000 was hiding that sold in April 2011? Production stopped almost two years ago.

I was actually thinking that there has to be at least one S2000 sitting on a dealer lot that is "new". I just need to find it
Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Race Director

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...122946048.html
Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Safety Car

Post May

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., posted May sales of 90,773, a decrease of 16.1% based on the daily selling rate* compared to May 2010 results the company announced today. American Honda year-to-date sales of 523,550 represent an increase of 7.4% compared to last year.

Honda Division May 2011 sales were 81,773, a decrease of 16.0% versus May 2010. The all-new, redesigned Odyssey minivan posted sales of 9,428, an increase of 5.5%. The Fit posted an increase of 46.3% with sales of 5,921. Civic led the division with sales of 18,341. Accord reported sales of 18,185 units for the month. The CR-V posted May sales of 16,307.

"May sales are on par with what we expected due to the lingering effects of parts and production shortages resulting from the devastating March 11 earthquake in Japan," said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda. "We are confident that sales will rebound as our North American plants reach 100% production capacity for most models in August."

Acura Division posted May sales of 9,000 units, a decrease of 17.1% from the same period last year. The MDX luxury sport utility vehicle led the division with sales of 3,824, an increase of 1.9% over May 2010.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Race Director

If all the Fits come from Japan why did its sales not go down like the others?

I assume the sales will rebound but VW sold almost as many Jettas as the Civic.

Quick Reply: Monthly Car Sales news