Hyundai: Sonata News

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
http://www.leftlanenews.com/139500-h...omponents.html
Complete loss of steering?!?!?!?

The Sonata is a great looking vehicle, but Hyundai better put quality on the road, otherwise they will go back to the their old reputation of building tastic quality vehicles.

Two recalls on your brand new model is more than plenty, Hyundai. Nip this one in the bud!
To be honest, it's really a better-safe-than-sorry scenario with abundance of caution. I personally haven't heard of actual failures.

Plus NHTSA recall reports ALWAYS say something like "leading to complete loss of _____, potentially leading to a crash."

The quality is there. I bought one with my own cold hard cash (I'm a stingy bastard) because I trust it. The Sonata is still in the run (one of 14 finalists) for the 2011 COTY in January.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
To be honest, it's really a better-safe-than-sorry scenario with abundance of caution. I personally haven't heard of actual failures.

Plus NHTSA recall reports ALWAYS say something like "leading to complete loss of _____, potentially leading to a crash."

The quality is there. I bought one with my own cold hard cash (I'm a stingy bastard) because I trust it. The Sonata is still in the run (one of 14 finalists) for the 2011 COTY in January.
Public perception is everything in the automotive industry.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ right. so they put on recall before any major incident occur
Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ that's not what he was referring to when he says public perception.

people don't look at recalls as precautionary actions - they regard them as poor quality.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by phile
^ that's not what he was referring to when he says public perception.

people don't look at recalls as precautionary actions - they regard them as poor quality.
Bingo! That's what public perception is all about!

You get an A+ today in marketing, advertising, and public relations!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Dragging knees in

Well, even after the door latch recall, the sales continued to climb.

I think I give the public a bit more credit. Recalls, TSBs and shit falling apart is an inevitable side effect of assembling thousands of parts together into one tight package. I think people, in general, know and understand that.

I think after the Toyota situation, people will start seeing proactive measures, even if it's a recall, in a more positive light.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Well, even after the door latch recall, the sales continued to climb.

I think I give the public a bit more credit. Recalls, TSBs and shit falling apart is an inevitable side effect of assembling thousands of parts together into one tight package. I think people, in general, know and understand that.

I think after the Toyota situation, people will start seeing proactive measures, even if it's a recall, in a more positive light.
You and I understand this, but we (like a lot of people on this board) are more educated car enthusiasts....we are not average. We are even leary of buying the first year model of a car, because we know there will be quite a few problems.

I however, don't give the public that much credit. Look at how the media and the public became unhinged over the Toyota mess. They are easily influenced and led astray. The average public has no clue about the difference between a TSB, recall, NTSB, etc and so on.....they barely know how to put gas in the car.....and hopefully when the maintenance minder light goes off on the dash they take it in for service.

When they see 2 recalls in a row they start to wonder about the quality.

Can you imagine if you bought one of the new Sonatas, and now you have been recalled twice in a very short amount of time?.....and one is for a possible complete steering failure.

I think you would be wondering too about the quality.

...again we are talking about the average joe/jane public here....and for them perception of the brand is EVERYTHING.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
There are people out there who still won't even give a Hyundai product a second thought, despite all the major advances that the company has made in the past few years.

You are giving the public way too much credit.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The best thing is to just have no problems whatsoever. But we all know how easy that is....

I don't think recalls have that much of an effect on sales, unless they're catastrophic failures (like people dying in Toyota accelerator issues). People who are really want to buy one are still going to buy one. When there were recalls for the Camaro SS, hell I still wanted one badly. What recalls really do is just give fodder to people who weren't going to buy one in the first place. This steering shaft u-joint decoupling issue is pretty scary though.

Just my opinion.... recalls are unavoidable, I think I read an article saying there are hundreds of recalls every year, and it affects every manufacturer, and many models, from Civics to Lamborghinis.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Mourning Would
Just my opinion.... recalls are unavoidable, I think I read an article saying there are hundreds of recalls every year, and it affects every manufacturer, and many models, from Civics to Lamborghinis.
Even Ferrari just recalled the 458 Italia over the fire issue. It truly happens to every manufacturer and every model. It's just part of automotive life.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Dragging knees in

There are people out there who still won't even give a Hyundai product a second thought, despite all the major advances that the company has made in the past few years.

I'm not quite sure if that's in alignment with the issue at hand.

I'm not an idiot when it comes to cars and there are certain brands that I won't buy, whether it be based on personal bias, experience, etc.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Dragging knees in

You and I understand this, but we (like a lot of people on this board) are more educated car enthusiasts....we are not average. We are even leary of buying the first year model of a car, because we know there will be quite a few problems.

I however, don't give the public that much credit. Look at how the media and the public became unhinged over the Toyota mess. They are easily influenced and led astray. The average public has no clue about the difference between a TSB, recall, NTSB, etc and so on.....they barely know how to put gas in the car.....and hopefully when the maintenance minder light goes off on the dash they take it in for service.

When they see 2 recalls in a row they start to wonder about the quality.

Can you imagine if you bought one of the new Sonatas, and now you have been recalled twice in a very short amount of time?.....and one is for a possible complete steering failure.

I think you would be wondering too about the quality.

...again we are talking about the average joe/jane public here....and for them perception of the brand is EVERYTHING.
I do see your point and agree that some people will inevitably be led astray, especially when there is a side order of media frenzy.

It's funny, though. I've met people who swear by a certain brand. Then year or years later, I would see them again and talk cars. They've switched sides. I've met people who say "you know, every certain number of years, I get convinced that GM/Chrysler/Ford/whatever got their stuff together so I go out and buy one and it's still a piece of shit."

I guess my point is that people's allegiance/preference can and does change. It goes around and around.

For instance, I used to be a hardcore GM guy. But after some bad experiences with the cars and the service, I vowed to never buy a GM again. So I went and bought a Dodge. It was okay, but it could've been better. So I went out and bought an Acura. The transmission issue still ticks me off to this day. So then I went out and bought a Hyundai (well, my fiancee). Now the recall, though no problem so far.

And now GM is putting out some great looking products, like the CTS-V sedan/coupe, etc. Boy, do I want one. But I know I will have some sort of problem with it, simply because it's a car. Then I will depart from GM again. Then round and round I go.

As for Toyota, they will no doubt recover from this. In fact, one of my dad's friends bought a Camry at the height of the recall. He said that it's basically all a bunch of BS, political witch hunt and all that, and took advantage of the fantastic deal. I think that for every person easily swayed, there is the opposite person who thinks outside the box.

Even if we lose one today, we'll probably have them back sooner or later. I think that goes for just about every brand.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Mourning Would
The best thing is to just have no problems whatsoever. But we all know how easy that is....

I don't think recalls have that much of an effect on sales, unless they're catastrophic failures (like people dying in Toyota accelerator issues). People who are really want to buy one are still going to buy one. When there were recalls for the Camaro SS, hell I still wanted one badly. What recalls really do is just give fodder to people who weren't going to buy one in the first place. This steering shaft u-joint decoupling issue is pretty scary though.

Just like the unexpected Honda/Acura transmissions slamming down into 2nd gear on the interstate leaving the driver little to no control (or the worse 2nd gear shaft breaking and causing a loss of control).

For the most part i disregard recalls now days as possible points to not own the car. Every manufacturer has them. From legit ones to the stupid ones (like the recent CTS-V Knee air bag recall because the air bags hit the passengers knees in accidents when they arent wearing their seat belts). Hyundai is being proactive and fixing it before any major incidents to which i give them

Last edited by fsttyms1; 09-30-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Just like the unexpected Honda/Acura transmissions slamming down into 2nd gear on the interstate leaving the driver little to no control (or the worse 2nd gear shaft breaking and causing a loss of control).
Ja, I still think about that one. Going 80 on the interstate and the transmission dropping on me. That BMW behind me did a great job swerving around me. I felt really bad but it wasn't my fault.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Ja, I still think about that one. Going 80 on the interstate and the transmission dropping on me. That BMW behind me did a great job swerving around me. I felt really bad but it wasn't my fault.

Luckily, I caught every one of my 5 failures. I saw it coming and was able to slip it into neutral or slow just before it happened. I spend all day in the car and just know the car too well and was aware that something wasnt right. There were subtle signs that i noticed. Most wouldnt and like your situation i bet happened very often to unexpected motorists.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All most people will hear about this is "Hyundai Sonata....loss of steering". They will not care to research it any further. Just like the Toyota thing.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

most people won't even know about the hyundai recall unless media hits hard like toyota

toyota is a different story.. at least for now..
Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Shift_Acura
All most people will hear about this is "Hyundai Sonata....loss of steering". They will not care to research it any further. Just like the Toyota thing.
This is the truth.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:44 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
http://www.leftlanenews.com/139500-h...omponents.html
Complete loss of steering?!?!?!?

The Sonata is a great looking vehicle, but Hyundai better put quality on the road, otherwise they will go back to the their old reputation of building tastic quality vehicles.

Two recalls on your brand new model is more than plenty, Hyundai. Nip this one in the bud!
It usually takes some time to work out the kinks in a 1st year model.

For example, the 2005 Odyssey (1st year of the 3rd gen Odyssey) had 5 recalls, including one for an incorrectly assembled steering column which could "lead to a loss of steering control."

Having said that, it would be good if Hyundai didn't have any further recalls on the Sonata, since it doesn't yet have the reputation for reliability that Honda has achieved.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm in the list. Not even a second thought.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:17 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by YEH
It usually takes some time to work out the kinks in a 1st year model.

For example, the 2005 Odyssey (1st year of the 3rd gen Odyssey) had 5 recalls, including one for an incorrectly assembled steering column which could "lead to a loss of steering control."

Having said that, it would be good if Hyundai didn't have any further recalls on the Sonata, since it doesn't yet have the reputation for reliability that Honda has achieved.
See post #767
Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEuvSS_qjKI
Old 10-19-2010, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That may be because people dont prefer Hyundai's styling. Or the way their cars drive. Or their interiors.

Last edited by ghttf; 10-19-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Basically the same acceleration as the A4 2.0T. Except with regular gas, better mileage and no AWD. Pretty impressive for a mass-market family sedan.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:47 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/so...and-video.html

full review

Of course, what we all want to know is how well the 3,388-pound Sonata SE 2.0T keeps up with the V6-equipped competition, so here goes. The sprint to 60 mph takes 6.6 seconds (6.2 with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip), which is just a tenth slower than the 2009 Mazda 6 V6 we previously tested. That sedan uses a much larger-displacement 3.7-liter V6 rated at 272 hp. In the quarter-mile, the Sonata 2.0T actually inches slightly ahead, clocking 14.6 seconds at 97.9 mph versus 14.7 seconds at 95.6 for the Mazda.

Our 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T tester is also 0.4 second quicker than the 2008 Nissan Altima V6 and 0.9 second quicker than the 2008 Honda Accord V6. Of note, the 2.0T sprints to 60 mph over a second faster than the normally aspirated 2.4-liter 2011 Sonata.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:53 PM
hail to the victors

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4aHTNQNQ70?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4aHTNQNQ70?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
...but like virtually all hybrids, the extra up front expense will not be made up by the fuel mileage savings.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Safety Car

i think the hybrid is ugly
Old 10-21-2010, 08:28 AM
hail to the victors

Originally Posted by biker
...but like virtually all hybrids, the extra up front expense will not be made up by the fuel mileage savings.
rumor is that hybrid too will start under 25k.

anyway, more hybrid pics. it definitely stands out from midsize hybrid crowd. i like the business move here. and number is about to be confirmed at 36city / 40highway.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:08 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,823 Likes on 3,735 Posts
I think I like this better than the regular Sonata.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I like that they went ahead and made the hybrid look different than the regular Sonata. All car makers should do that....
Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Id rock this over a prius or insight any day.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I like that they went ahead and made the hybrid look different than the regular Sonata. All car makers should do that....
I have a feeling they also did that so you can't make a direct comparison to the gas equivalent in terms of configuration. Can you even get the panomaric roof on the gas model?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

I like the shape of the headlights on the hybrid better than on the non-hybrid Sonata (more like the shape of the headlights on the new Accent), as well as the sculpted foglamps.

But the front fasica, overall, is a bit much (it'll certainly let people know one is driving a hybrid which seems to be the point).

It would look better if they got rid of the top chrome bezel grill (the 2 grill-look is not a good one; look at the CR-V).

Road & Track's impressions of the turbo and hybrid.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/im...-sonata-hybrid

Last edited by YEH; 10-21-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:59 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Interesting....it's about as fast as my stock 2002 TL-S with an ancient 5AT.....and the Camry V6 with less power and torque seems to be faster....
Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by iforyou
Interesting....it's about as fast as my stock 2002 TL-S with an ancient 5AT.....and the Camry V6 with less power and torque seems to be faster....
I couldn't find stats for the 2G TL-S on Edmunds but they tested the Camry V6 and its quarter mile time and trap speed were almost exactly the same. Couldn't find the observed MPGs but the EPA estimated highway rating on the 2.0T is 3 mpg higher than the Camry V6... gear ratios were probably tuned for highway economy more than acceleration, considering the EPA ratings hardly take a hit from Hyundai's non-turbocharged 2.0 (23/35). This is pretty impressive considering it was developed by Hyundai in house... AFAIK.

In any case, it's has much more power than the TSX, noticeably better performance, and gets better EPA ratings (21/30 for the TSX 5AT vs. 22/34 for the Sonata 2.0T 6AT).
Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Acutallt it is worse. TL-S 2G is lighter and narrower car than 2G TSX V6.
2G TSX V6 is 300lbs heavier than 2.0T Sonata and gets similar or better performance despite being hampered by 5AT and non-DI engine.
Just look at GS350 DI engine performance/fuel economny (real test fuel mpg not EPA) on Edmunds test and it is 2006 technology. It is 500lbs heavier car than Hyundai 2.0T. and it blows away it by full 1 second.
Hyundai has long way to go in engine/transmission technology application.
Look at the Rim design and red color. didnot Hyundai red is inspired by Honda?

This red exterior color & red gauges are long associated withy Honda performance models around the world.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:27 AM

OH MY GOD why did I click "View Post"

can't.... unsee.....
Old 10-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Costco
OH MY GOD why did I click "View Post"

can't.... unsee.....
hahaha same here!!!!!
gosh why did i unblock him >_<
Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric

totally agree... most car companies will make the "performance" model different like MB with their AMG's or BMW with their ///M's... but Hyundai did it for the hybrid, and NOT just slap a "hybrid" emblem on it... I think that's pretty cool

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Sonata News