Hyundai: Sonata News

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
i still don't think that's the Sonata, even if it's just the corporate face, the proportions of the car says Elantra.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
have you watched the video in the link?? it's definitely not elentra..
Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Pinky all stinky

then why does it look like the Elantra
Old 06-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
then why does it look like the Elantra
Corporate design language.

Same reason why I have a hard time distinguishing the new 5-series from the 7-series. They share components and I honestly sometimes have to look twice to tell them apart.

(Disclaimer: I'm NOT comparing the Elantra to BMW 5 & 7, lest some anti-Hyundai, love-to-argue, know-it-all jackass starts arguing and attacking... sick of that shit now).
Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Wait, so its not an Elantra?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Wait, so its not an Elantra?
Yes, it is the Elantra.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Corporate design language.

Same reason why I have a hard time distinguishing the new 5-series from the 7-series. They share components and I honestly sometimes have to look twice to tell them apart.

(Disclaimer: I'm NOT comparing the Elantra to BMW 5 & 7, lest some anti-Hyundai, love-to-argue, know-it-all jackass starts arguing and attacking... sick of that shit now).
I got you the first time with the corporate design language.

the proportions of the i40, though, says Elantra to me, not Sonata. Look at the relatively short hood and the upsweep in the rear window as it reaches the C pillar. those are Elantra design cues. I don't know what yohan was saying when he said to watch the video, still looks like an Elantra to me.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Dragging knees in

I got you the first time with the corporate design language.

the proportions of the i40, though, says Elantra to me, not Sonata. Look at the relatively short hood and the upsweep in the rear window as it reaches the C pillar. those are Elantra design cues. I don't know what yohan was saying when he said to watch the video, still looks like an Elantra to me.
ok, you convinced me. its the elantra.

p.s. whats up with the attitude and the refusal to understand what the model is?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Pinky all stinky

because I think you're wrong?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

You do know that he works for Hyundai corporate right?
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Dragging knees in

That's fine. I guess there is really no reason why you should believe me.

But perhaps you will place more credibility in these publications.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/12...et-sonata.html

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/02...an-market.html

They basically state:
1. The i40 is equivalent to the North American Sonata.
2. The styling is closer to the Elantra, rather than the Sonata, to follow the fluidic sculpture theme. This is what works in Europe. The i40 is designed exclusively for the European market.

The YF Sonata is designed for the Asian and North American market. The i40 is designed specifically for the European market. But both cars occupy the same market segment. One just looks different from the other.

In short, it's neither the Elantra nor the Sonata. This is the i40, its own car and name. Yes, it resembles the North American Elantra. But it's equivalent to the Sonata in terms of market placement.

FYI, the "Elantra" in Europe is the i30. So this i40 is definitely not the Elantra.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Folks, this is not that hard to understand, let me put into english SAT terms:

Sonata is to i40, as the USDM Accord is to the EuroAccord (TSX).

Euro market mid sized sednas are smaller than the boats like Sonata and Accord - that just wouldn't do there so they make them smaller. Of course they will look similar - they are made by the same company.
The following users liked this post:
Costco (06-27-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
^ Yes.

Don't be confused by the fact that the front of the i40 looks more like the Elantra than the Sonata.

The new model of the European Elantra equivalent, the i30, will also be getting a similarly looking front.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:13 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Hyundai has so many products now....or I should say, quite a few variations for each product.

4 B-segment cars (Hyundai i20, Accent, Kia Soul and Rio)
4 C-segment cars (Hyundai i30, Elantra, Kia Cee'd and Forte),
3 D-segment cars (Hyundai Sonata, i40 and Kia K5)
3 E-segment cars (Hyundai Azera, Genesis and Kia K7)
Old 06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
^ Yes.

Don't be confused by the fact that the front of the i40 looks more like the Elantra than the Sonata.

The new model of the European Elantra equivalent, the i30, will also be getting a similarly looking front.
not sure if i30 would be called elentra equivalent..
in Korea, they have both i30 (i saw a lot of older gens) and avante (which is named elentra in USDM)
Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
As a disclaimer I work for Kia Corp.

I haven't quite gotten Hyundai's whole vision yet. They own Kia and yet imo everything Kia makes is nicer looking and somehow has slightly more hp. This is of course with the exception of the Genesis and coupe. The Optima Hybrid is hot, like I'd seriously consider it, if I had 32k to burn. From the above specs, the Sonata, has the exact same hybrid setup as the Optima, the same hp and just about the same price. Hands down, I would take the Optima, the decision would be looks, that's it.

In case anyone hasn't seen the Optima hybrid, which btw only has one tiny badge on the rear that says hybrid.

I'm not intending to thread jack, but they're the same car, so it's on topic.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by yohan81718
not sure if i30 would be called elentra equivalent..
in Korea, they have both i30 (i saw a lot of older gens) and avante (which is named elentra in USDM)
Well, the Avante (Elantra) is available as a sedan. The i30 and i30CW are available as hatch and wagon, respectively. While they may wear different badges, they do share components and are in the same class; they are just offered in different body styles.

The previous USDM Elantra (sedan) was simultaneously available with the i30cw (wagon), which was sold under the Elantra Touring name. Both Elantras.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Myxomatosis

I haven't quite gotten Hyundai's whole vision yet. They own Kia and yet imo everything Kia makes is nicer looking and somehow has slightly more hp. This is of course with the exception of the Genesis and coupe. The Optima Hybrid is hot, like I'd seriously consider it, if I had 32k to burn. From the above specs, the Sonata, has the exact same hybrid setup as the Optima, the same hp and just about the same price. Hands down, I would take the Optima, the decision would be looks, that's it.

In case anyone hasn't seen the Optima hybrid, which btw only has one tiny badge on the rear that says hybrid.

I'm not intending to thread jack, but they're the same car, so it's on topic.
Friend of mine works for Hyundai in Korea. He told me that not-yet-revealed K9 was supposedly going to cost more than equus because of materials and tech used in the car (to name few, alloy body, full color LCD dash, haptic steering wheel and such) but Hyundai didn't approve Kia selling more upscale/expensive cars than Hyundai, so it'll be toned down version now. :ghey:

Since current K7 is not making its debut outside of Korea, I doubt K9 will come anytime soon, but I love the way Kia is producing cars now. I rented K7 when I was in Korea last month and it was pretty nice.

Back on topic about Sonata... My friend bought 2.0T early this year. I have driven it and I have sat in the back. It was quite nice. I love the 18" wheel and the whole rear view with dual exhaust and such.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Well, the Avante (Elantra) is available as a sedan. The i30 and i30CW are available as hatch and wagon, respectively. While they may wear different badges, they do share components and are in the same class; they are just offered in different body styles.

The previous USDM Elantra (sedan) was simultaneously available with the i30cw (wagon), which was sold under the Elantra Touring name. Both Elantras.
i30's I saw in Korea looked nothing like Elentra Touring I saw in the States, but I guess I may be wrong.

I heard Avante will come in coupe in short time.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:32 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

i30's I saw in Korea looked nothing like Elentra Touring I saw in the States, but I guess I may be wrong.

I heard Avante will come in coupe in short time.
The i30s come in various forms - tha hatch, wagon (which the US gets as the Elantra Touring) and sedan.

However, w/ the next gen, the US is getting the i30 hatch and not the wagon.

Aside from Korea, another market that gets both is Australia.

While Hyundai holds a large stake in Kia, it's a minority shareholder and the 2 pretty much go their own way when it comes to developing vehicles.

For instance, they both utilize completely diff. infotainment systems and even use diff. AWD systems (Kia having developed its own Dynamax AWD system).

The relationship btwn the 2 is more like when Ford used to own a pretty big chunk of Mazda.

But yeah, I much prefer the cleaner, more masculine lines of Kia models (altho when it comes to the Optima and Sonata, I do like the dash/center stack design of the Sonata better).

Last edited by YEH; 06-29-2011 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Myxomatosis (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Friend of mine works for Hyundai in Korea. He told me that not-yet-revealed K9 was supposedly going to cost more than equus because of materials and tech used in the car (to name few, alloy body, full color LCD dash, haptic steering wheel and such) but Hyundai didn't approve Kia selling more upscale/expensive cars than Hyundai, so it'll be toned down version now.

Since current K7 is not making its debut outside of Korea, I doubt K9 will come anytime soon, but I love the way Kia is producing cars now. I rented K7 when I was in Korea last month and it was pretty nice.
That's a shame about the K9, but I'm not sure if the K9 would sell at a price range above the Equus in the US (maybe in Korea).

For the US market, Kia should aim for a starting MSRP right above the R-Spec Genesis (by the time it hits the US market, the next gen Genesis should be ready and it'll likely be a bit more expensive as well).

Hope they don't cheapen what we have seen of the interior b/c it looks pretty nice (nicer than the Equus).

As for the K7/Cadenza - are you saying that it won't come to the US in current form (b/c all the reports stated that it was coming in 2012, delayed from a Fall 2011 launch)?

Whatever the case, Kia needs to launch the Cadenza in the US 1st to let the market get used to an upscale Kia sedan before they think of launching a full-fledged luxury sedan in the US.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by YEH
That's a shame about the K9, but I'm not sure if the K9 would sell at a price range above the Equus in the US (maybe in Korea).
If it looks better and qualities are better, after some initial trial, why not? But sadly, K9 won't come out all that nice because of greedy Hyundai.

As for the K7/Cadenza - are you saying that it won't come to the US in current form (b/c all the reports stated that it was coming in 2012, delayed from a Fall 2011 launch)?
No. I'm just saying that it hasn't launched yet after it's been around for few years in Korea already.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Friend of mine works for Hyundai in Korea. He told me that not-yet-revealed K9 was supposedly going to cost more than equus because of materials and tech used in the car (to name few, alloy body, full color LCD dash, haptic steering wheel and such) but Hyundai didn't approve Kia selling more upscale/expensive cars than Hyundai, so it'll be toned down version now. :ghey:

At least in my area, I can't see too many Large expensive sedans selling yet (I'm in west bumblefuck county). I was surprised another salesman sold an Optima SX the other day to a walk-in. Usually we have a lot of sticker shock and brand image issues. like "$35,000 for a Kia?" that type of thing. I did sell a $37k Sorento this month, but I guess what I'm saying is for one thing, volume of a large upscale sedan would be low and really I think they should wait a few years, to let the public really take in what Kia has done recently, before they'll fully accept the value.
Originally Posted by YEH
While Hyundai holds a large stake in Kia, it's a minority shareholder and the 2 pretty much go their own way when it comes to developing vehicles.

For instance, they both utilize completely diff. infotainment systems and even use diff. AWD systems (Kia having developed its own Dynamax AWD system).

The relationship btwn the 2 is more like when Ford used to own a pretty big chunk of Mazda.

But yeah, I much prefer the cleaner, more masculine lines of Kia models (altho when it comes to the Optima and Sonata, I do like the dash/center stack design of the Sonata better).
Thank you, that is somewhat insightful. I'm still new and therefore still learning the eccentricities of the corporate relationships.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

If it looks better and qualities are better, after some initial trial, why not? But sadly, K9 won't come out all that nice because of greedy Hyundai.
B/c it'll be too much of a leap upwards in terms of price.

See below.

At least in my area, I can't see too many Large expensive sedans selling yet (I'm in west bumblefuck county). I was surprised another salesman sold an Optima SX the other day to a walk-in. Usually we have a lot of sticker shock and brand image issues. like "$35,000 for a Kia?" that type of thing. I did sell a $37k Sorento this month, but I guess what I'm saying is for one thing, volume of a large upscale sedan would be low and really I think they should wait a few years, to let the public really take in what Kia has done recently, before they'll fully accept the value.
The Sorento has done well for Kia, but it's a CUV and people are willing to crazy prices for what are essentially jacked up station wagons.

As for the Optima SX, the people who usually know about it are auto enthusiasts - so they have read all the reviews, etc. and know that it's a good deal for $33-35K (from what I have seen, a good many Optima SX buyers are coming from lower-end luxury vehicles).

But yeah, the general populace still gets sticker shock when it comes to a $35k Kia.

This is exactly the reason why Kia hasn't already rolled out the Cadenza for the US market; the US market isn't quite ready for a Kia sedan that starts in the mid-high $20K range and which likely will top off in the high $30Ks (if Kia does an SX trim for the Cadenza).

And it's exactly the same reason why Kia shouldn't roll out the K9 for the US market until the Cadenza has spent some time on the lots (so that people will get used to the idea of higher priced Kia sedan); also would give Kia some more time to get rid of the crappier dealerships.

Also, it's one thing to go from a sedan that priced from the mid-high $20K range (high $30Ks when fully loaded) to something around $45K than it is to shoot for something in the $65K pricerange (that's one of the mistakes VW did w/ the Phaeton).
Old 09-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Safety Car

i'm not sure where to post these pictures... there is no separate thread for i40..

Last edited by dom; 09-09-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

omg.. way too many pictures.. lol
Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wagon is hot. Finally someone makes a wagon as nice as audis
Old 09-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
That looks AWESOME.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Race Director

Mods - can we get rid of like 90% of the pics in that post. We get the idea but no need for that many pictures. Actually this should be moved to another thread as the i40 is not a Sonata.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but isn't this the wagon variant of Sonata? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Now that looks way too big to be an Elantra.

It looks gorgeous inside and out. Button placement is somewhat confusing though.... door lock/unlock right next to the driver's side HVAC temperature control? and seat heater/cooler right next to traction control switch.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
WOW! Fantastic interior! Fantastic exterior! That steering wheel looks nice and meaty. This almost make me want to get the GF preggers so I can have an excuse to buy one....
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

The greenhouse narrows a bit too much going towards the rear and the 2 chrome slats on the grill look like they were an afterthought and don't really mesh w/ the rest of the front fascia design.

Like the interior - may actually prefer the design of the center stack on the Sonata (a little more sleek looking) but the interior of the i40 has nicer materials.

W/ the new i30 (and Veloster)...

Hyundai is poised to really increase sales in Europe.

The i10 is already a big seller and the ix35 (Tuscon) sells pretty well.

W/ the new Santa Fe to arrive shortly, the only weak point in their Euro lineup would be the i20 (it's OK, but not nearly as good as the i10 is within its segment).
Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + MS3
Maybe I missed it, but isn't this the wagon variant of Sonata? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Lol not again. Yes it's a Sonata according to Pure Adrenaline

I'll remove the pics tomorrow, on a mobile now. And I know I'm in the minority here but I can't stand wagons, this one included. But that interior is incredible.

Last edited by dom; 09-07-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

The i40 is the Sonata (i45) like what the Euro Accord (TSX) is to the USDM Accord and the Avensis is to the Camry (a bit smaller w/ a nicer interior).
Old 09-07-2011, 07:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Now that Elantra hatch looks great.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,064 Likes on 3,897 Posts

Old 09-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by dom
Now that Elantra hatch looks great.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by YEH
The i40 is the Sonata (i45) like what the Euro Accord (TSX) is to the USDM Accord and the Avensis is to the Camry (a bit smaller w/ a nicer interior).
Right, so they are cousins but not nearly the same car. Like many European flavors they tend to be nicer in European trim. And like the Avensis, we won't see it in the US.

This should really be in a different thread.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:17 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

^ Altho, there still is a chance that we see the i40 wagon rebranded as the Sonata Touring (or whatever).

Hyundai does that w/ the i30 wagon (Elantra Touring) and will be sending the new i30 (this time in hatch form) to the US.

But yeah, I don't really consider them the same model despite the rebranding (just as I don't consider the Euro and USDM Accords and Civics to be the same despite even having the same nameplate).

Last edited by YEH; 09-08-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Sonata News