View Poll Results: What do you like Better?
Accord Concept Rims and Bodykit
73.97%
2004 Acura TL A-Spec Bodykit and Rims
26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Honda: Accord News

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Liking the location of the oxygen sensor!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,292 Likes on 2,648 Posts
Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Liking the location of the oxygen sensor!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like a solid product! Exterior looks impressive and so does the interior. Although I'm not sure how I feel about the 2 screens, it just looks kinda awkward. I'd haveto sit in one to judge though. I'm also glad they brought in the super awesome speedometer needles from the TSX!!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow FoxNews

The 2013 Honda Accord is all-new.

I’m sorry if that’s a painfully obvious way to start this report, but it actually might not be that obvious at first glance.

The updated Accord has such a strong family resemblance to the one it replaces that I’m embarrassed to admit I mistook 1 of the old ones for it at the press preview in New York, only catching myself when I sat down.

That’s not to say it isn’t vastly improved. The 2013 Accord is completely reengineered with cleaner bodywork, crisper lines and finer details. But the eerie similarity can’t be ignored, (or maybe it can?)

Of course when a new Beetle or Mini Cooper or 911 sneaks onto the scene no one blinks an eye if it’s a lookalike. As one of the best-selling cars in America for over 3 decades, maybe it’s high time that the Accord deserves the same sort of iconic reverence and the associated pass.

The 2013 Accord lineup is comprised of 5 – relatively -- distinct models: sedan and coupe with 4-cylinder engines; sedan and coupe with 6-cylinder engines; and Honda’s 1st plug-in hybrid.

They all share an impressive interior that’s a step or 2 above last year’s model, and features a soft-touch 1 piece dash and chrome silver trim that comes across as Honda’s take on a VW cabin -- these are good things.

It’s also slightly larger inside, despite the fact that the car has shrunk 3 inches in length. The Accord was already one of the more spacious midsize cars -- the government considers it full-size -- and that tradition continues here.

New electronic features available across the model range include a standard 8-inch monitor for infotainment functions, Pandora integration, and a new cloud-connected service called HondaLink that hooks up to your iPhone or Android to offer a collection of apps like Twitter, Yelp and Slacker.

The most original electronic addition, however, is an optional blind-spot camera mounted on the passenger sideview mirror that sends a wide angle view to the screen in the center of the dashboard whenever you hit your turn signal. It’s useful and extremely cool, but doesn’t actively alert you to the presence of a car alongside yours, you literally have to see it for yourself. The driver’s side has no warning system at all, making do with a sideview mirror that is curved at the outer edge to offer a slightly wider field of vision. Separate monitors that do use lights and sounds to warn of impending frontal collisions and lane departure are also on offer.

Aside from that, what you’ve got is a very straightforward take on the midsize formula. To see how it adds up, I took a few of the top models for a spin.

Accord Sedan

If Honda’s top priority was customer retention, things are looking good for the Accord. My mom owns a 2010 model and 1st impressions are that there’s nothing about the new one that should keep her from flipping it into a 2013 when her lease is up.

The interior is a gem. Bucket seats don’t get much more comfortable than these -- regardless if they are upholstered in cloth or leather -- and the large windows buck the low-roofline trend and offer great visibility. The Accord’s trunk is bigger than before and has a very flat floor, a wide opening and low liftover height. This is Family Car 101 kind of stuff and Honda has aced it. Not everybody does.

The base car has a starting price of $22,470 and new 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine with direct fuel injection connected to a 6-speed manual transmission. But since no 1 will actually buy that 1 I tried out the version with the automatic, which uses a continuously variable transmission (CVT,) a 1st for Accord, and starts at $23,270.

The motor delivers 185 hp and 189 lb-ft of torque, while the infinitely variable gearing of the CVT aims to maximize both its performance and fuel economy potential. As the bread and butter model, the power is spot-on for the class and the engine sewing machine smooth in true Honda fashion.

As far as CVTs go, this one’s a winner, with a nicely linear response to throttle inputs and less of the sensation that the car is trying to catch up with the engine that some of these units tend to exhibit. Fuel economy is short of the current best in class Nissan Altima’s 38 mpg highway, but on the high side for the segment at 36 mpg highway, 26 mpg city.

Perhaps more interesting is the that the optional 278 hp 3.5-liter V6 manages squeezes 34 highway miles out of every gallon when equipped with a 6-speed automatic transmission. It’s only available in the higher trim level Accords, the cheapest being $30,860, but it’s something to think about if you really can’t afford a Civic Si as your second car for fun weekend drives.

In either configuration, the Accord’s ride quality is simply exceptional, the cabin hush quiet, thanks in part to a standard electronic noise cancellation system, and did I mention those seats?

The only deviation from the Accord norm is the steering, which now uses electric assist and feels ever so less disconnected and lighter than the hydraulic unit you might remember. Car enthusiasts will bemoan this, my mom will probably prefer it.

Accord Coupe

As of now, the 2-door Accord is the midsize sedan-based coupes on the market. It’s been a long time since they’ve been a big seller for any brand, but Honda kept it around in because the Accord’s chief engineer wanted one. Apparently it’s good to be the Large Project Leader.

4 and 6-cylinder models are available, but the unique set up is the V6 matched to a 6-speed manual transmission, which you can’t get in the sedan. Unlike many automakers, Honda builds its own transmissions and the world would be a much better place if it sold them to some of the others. There’s no slop in the stick, at all. It has short, direct throws and never misses a gear. I did find the clutch pedal to be a little on the springy side compared to, say, the Acura ILX 6-speed I recently tested, but I am picking very small nits.

That said, the V6 puts a lot of power through the front wheels and, with the hammer all the way down, the very evident torque steer can make things a little squiggly. This would be less of a problem if the engine and exhaust didn’t sound so darn good, specially tuned to match the coupe’s sporty image. Smooth pedal application is advised when the kids are on board -- there is plenty of room for them.

Accord Plug-In Hybrid

Honda has a checkered history with hybrids, but is going (and plugging) all-in with this 1. The example I drove was a pre-production model that wasn’t fully dialed in, but all the major bits and pieces are in place.

It works on a similar principle to the Chevrolet Volt, offering an all-electric range of 10-15 miles of all-electric range after which a small gasoline engine runs to turn a generator for longer trips.

Honda’s take on this concept combines a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder with 2 electric motors in place of a transmission. 1 motor generates electricity for the 6.7 kWh battery pack (less than half the capacity of the Volt’s,) the other provides drive, so even when the engine is running it’s still an electric car.

Well, almost. Just like their colleagues over at Chevrolet, Honda’s engineers figured out a way to get a little more efficiency out of the system. Between 40 and 80 mph a single gear directly connects the 4-cylinder to the axles for a little extra push. Also, even with a full charge, the gasoline engine appears to kick in when you floor the throttle at higher speeds, rather than staying on the sidelines until the battery is depleted, as in the Volt.

It’s a pretty seamless system, with the same, very smooth power delivery exhibited by almost all electric cars – including Honda’s Fit EV. The electric motor on the prototype I drove did have a slightly annoying high-pitched whine, but I expect that’ll be ironed out by the time the car goes on sale early next year.

Aside from the drivetrain, the main differences are a slightly sparkly but environmentally-friendly cloth upholstery, a large intrusion into the trunk where the battery is housed, a very bold front fascia and Cuisinart blade-look aerodynamic wheel covers.

The big questions that remain are just how much will it cost and what its EPA fuel economy rating will be. No word from Honda on either point, but with all of the technology packed into it, a price in the high $30G range is likely.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Safety Car

Post USA 2day

Honda's thorough remake of its popular Accord midsize sedan supplies more proof that competent and exciting apparently are mutually exclusive.

You can appreciate the new Accord, on sale Sept. 19. You can consider its refinement and features to be sublimely satisfying.

You can be amazed that the 9th-generation Accord lost a little space inside but feels roomier and does have a bigger trunk. Or embrace its crisp good looks and trimmer new size. Be glad of its agile handling, better mileage and big jump in features for small increases in price.

But to imagine that anything about the very nice new Accord will have you hopping up and down with enthusiasm -- save for perhaps the power of the optional V-6 -- would be quite a stretch. Probably fine. It is a family sedan, after all.

A sportier Accord coupe goes on sale Oct. 15, and that could be better at raising pulses, but it starts at $24,140 for the 4-cylinder and $31,140 for the V-6. The sedan's base price is $22,470 for the 4-cylinder and $30,860 for the V-6. Honda forecasts that coupes will account for just 15% of Accord sales.

You can consider Accord sexier than a Toyota Camry, maybe less so than Nissan's new Altima. Not as zoomy-looking as a Hyundai Sonata, more daring than a Volkswagen Passat. Less Euro than the coming Ford Fusion, less American than the latest Chevrolet Malibu.

The midsize market is the biggest slice of new vehicle sales, accounting for about 1 of every 4 new vehicles sold, and conventional wisdom is that those buyers are mainstream. Don't spook 'em with far-out looks or over-the-top features.

But Sonata and its corporate kin, Kia Optima, broke the far-out-looks rule and are selling nicely, thank you very much. Passat offers a diesel, a feature well outside the mainstream in the U.S., and it, too, is rocking right along. So there's wiggle room.

Honda added 2 new trims to the Accord line.

Sport sits between the LX starter model and EX premium. It comes with dual exhaust, bigger wheels, different suspension tuning.

Touring is the new high-end version. In addition to every other feature available, including the V-6, it comes with LED headlights and adaptive cruise control that keeps the car a set distance from others if it can't hold the set speed.

Our drive time in an Accord EX 4-cylinder was pleasant, though never pulse-stirring, just as driving most of its rivals is not.

What seems best about Accord:

Room and comfort Honda's trimmed the 2013 back to midsize from the previous model's full-size dimensions. Yet the interior feels roomier, not tighter. And the trunk's about 6% larger.

Adults fit nicely in back. The front has space to flop long legs.

Lane Watch blind-spot feature Standard on EX models and above, it uses a camera mounted on the passenger's side exterior mirror to show you what's behind and beside when you signal for a right turn. The image pops up in the big display screen in the center of the dashboard.

On the left, though, no such help. A special slice of the outside driver's mirror expands the view, but it's no substitute for warning lights that other makers use as blind-spot alerts.

Styling Too bland, some have said, but strikes us as tailored enough to be easy on the eyes and unlikely to look dated soon as flashier sheet metal might. The 3.5-inch cut in length is just enough to make the car look trimmer, fitter than the old model.

Driving feel Most buyers will pick the new 4-cylinder engine, a more sophisticated one than the two it replaces. Combined with the continuously variable-ratio automatic transmission (CVT) also new to Accord, it moves the car quickly enough to suit most.

Steering, brakes and suspension are tuned well enough to make Accord feel sprightlier than rival Camry, though the ride disappointed. It was a rump-whacker over sharp bumps.

Overall, likable but not lovable. You'd have to be a connoisseur of competence to get worked up over Accord. In spite of (or perhaps because of) that, it's a safe bet the car is a midsize, bull's-eye that'll be a threat to unseat Camry as the USA's best-selling car.

THE DETAILS:

What? Redesign of Honda's most popular car; front-drive, 5-passenger, midsize, available as a 4-door sedan or a coupe.

When? Sedan on sale Sept. 19, coupe Oct. 15. 2 gas-electric hybrid versions coming next year.

Where? Made at Marysville, Ohio; some could be imported from Japan to meet unexpected demand. Hybrid models made in Japan.

How much? $22,470 for base manual-transmission, 4-cylinder sedan, including shipping, to $34,420 for V-6 with automatic, leather, navi, all available features. Typical model, about $26,000.

Coupe:
$24,140 to $33,140.

What makes it go? 2.4-liter four-cylinder rated 185 horsepower at 6,400 rpm, 189 pounds-feet of torque at 4,000. Sport model uses dual-exhaust and is rated 189 hp. Available with 6-speed manual or CVT automatic.

3.5-liter V-6 is rated 278 hp at 6,200, 252 lbs.-ft. at 4,900. 6-speed automatic only on sedans, 6-speed manual or automatic on coupes.

How big? A little shorter than previous Accord, on a slightly shorter wheelbase.

Sedan is 191.4 inches long, 72.8 in. wide, 57.7 in. tall on a 109.3-in wheelbase. Passenger space is 103.2 cu. ft., trunk, 15.8 cu. ft. Weighs 3,192 lbs.

How thirsty? 4-cylinder CVT model that most people will buy is rated 27 mpg in town, 36 highway, 30 in city/highway mix.

Test car trip computer showed 20.2 mpg (4.95 gallons per 100 miles) in vigorous suburban driving; 33 mpg (3.03 gal/100 miles) in mixed-speed highway driving.

4-cylinder manual rated: 24/34/28. V-6 automatic: 21/34/25.

Burns regular, holds 17.2 gal.

Overall: Competent, pleasing, unexciting -- a midsize, midmarket bull's-eye.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Safety Car

Talking USA 2day

Honda adds 2 gasoline-electric hybrids next year to the new Accord lineup, both to be sold as 2014 models, at prices not yet announced.

Next spring, expect a plug-in hybrid that Honda hopes will be rated for 10 to 15 miles on battery power before the gas engine has to kick in. That's a lot for a plug-in, which uses much smaller battery packs than full-electric cars.

A few months later, Honda will launch a non-plug-in hybrid, too.

We had a short time in a pre-production version of the plug-in and found it wonderful. Best driving feel of any electrified vehicle we can remember. It also gets our vote as the best version of the new Accord.

The Accord's hybrid system is a radical shift from Honda's simple system on the Insight and Civic hybrids. Accord uses 2 electric motors and a single-speed transmission, teamed with a 2-liter gas 4-cylinder unique to the Accord hybrid.

It always uses electric power to get rolling and for most low-speed driving (below 45 mph). Electric motors are torque monsters, so they don't need the help from low-transmission gearing that gasoline engines require to jump and run.

If the drain on the battery is too much, the gasoline engine kicks in to run a generator.

At about 45 mph, Accord's gas engine takes over and begins directly driving the wheels. Gas engines are more suited to high speed.

It worked like magic in the test car, which Honda says is representative of how regular production models will feel. Stunningly quiet. No shudders, shakes, shimmies; no intrusion of any kind as the hybrid system moved between gas and electric power. Not "almost none." Absolutely none.

And the electric motor's low-speed punch made the Accord frisky and fun. It also seemed to handle better despite the extra weight of the hybrid's battery pack.

The car surrenders roughly half its trunk to batteries, though. And it will come only as a single, well-equipped model, so is certain to be high-priced by Accord standards.

Still, it strikes us as worth waiting to try the Accord plug-in before making a decision on which midsize sedan to put into your garage. Never mind the eco-benefits. The plug-in Accord is just so sweet to drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
civicdrivr (09-15-2012), Ken1997TL (09-15-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Most probably too late, but here's some actual pics I took of a '13 Accord...Looks decent!

The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 12:47 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Good thing Honda actually treated this as their most important car, it actually shows. The coupe is a little lack luster IMO, but they all look pretty well executed. Kudos Honda.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
Eddie - How big is it in person? Does it look smaller then the outgoing model?
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
^ If it's smaller at all, it's very minimally.
civicdrivr (09-16-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
Most probably too late, but here's some actual pics I took of a '13 Accord...Looks decent!

Seeing it next to an 8G shows an evolutionary progression in styling. I'm looking forward to test driving both the I4 and V6 at the end of the month.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

with the exception of the RL and MDX i'd say this looks better than all the other Acura interiors
Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
Welcome to Canada! We pay more here and the CDN is above the USD.

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
The EX-L sedan with navi is pushing $30k...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
The center stack in this pic looks better than in any other pic I've seen, I think. I'll still need to see it in person, though. For now, I'm still not sure I'm a fan.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw one in person the other day. Tail lights look like a Hyundai
Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
I just saw the car. It looks UNBELIEVABLE! Just unbelievable well done!
Very MB & BMW-ish.
Will crash the "supposed competition".
Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Post LA Times

Few cars have left a mark on the auto industry as indelible as that of the Honda Accord.

Credited with helping open up the American market for Japanese autos, the "reliable" Accord was once the bestselling car in the U.S. before it began losing ground 1st to Japanese rivals and more recently to resurgent domestic automakers and South Korean upstarts.

On Wednesday, shoppers will get to check out a redesigned Accord as Honda launches a comeback push that is crucial to the automaker's recovery from recent missteps in the U.S.

After getting panned for last year's redesign of the smaller Civic and letting South Korean rival Hyundai grab a slice of Honda's reputation for fuel economy, the car company needs the new Accord to be a home run.

"For 20-plus years, Honda has had a customer base that says, 'I always buy an Accord, and that is all I will ever buy.' But that is no longer true," said Karl Brauer, editor of TotalCarScore.com, a car-rating website. "People, especially younger people, consider every car now."

The 2013 Accord competes against a recently redesigned Toyota Camry, as well as other new-generation cars, including the Nissan Altima, Volkswagen Passat and Chevrolet Malibu. Ford will launch a new Fusion this fall and waiting in the wings is a new Mazda6. The older but still popular Hyundai Sonata is another important player in the mid-size sedan market, which now accounts for 18% of auto sales, the largest segment in the industry, according to R.L. Polk & Co.

Where once both the Accord and Camry beat rivals in such characteristics as fuel economy, reliability and perceptions of quality, those advantages have faded as other automakers improved their offerings, Brauer said.

"The battleground will be more packed with choices than ever before,"
said David Conant, chief executive of Conant Auto Retail Group, a large Southern California auto dealership company that will be selling the new Accord at its Honda dealerships as well as the new Fusion and current Sonata at its other stores.

Honda's previous stumbles have made it vulnerable to once-loyal consumers taking a look at other brands. Honda has seen its share of the U.S. market slide from 11% in 2009 to 9% last year, according to Autodata Corp.

After last year's Civic redesign was criticized by Consumer Reports and others for giving the new model a lower interior quality, choppier ride and higher noise level, Conant said he saw "a tremendous amount of cross-shopping" between the Civic and Hyundai's competitive Elantra at the Cerritos Auto Mall where he operates dealerships for both brands.

"Until then we didn't see a lot of Honda intenders at the Hyundai store," Conant said.

Analysts said Honda has been careful not to repeat the mistake of the Civic.

Brauer, who has tested the new Accord, said Honda has fixed flaws that plagued the previous-model Accord, including cabin noise, uncomfortable seating, a mushy drive, busy dashboard and complex controls. The new version is now among his top choices for a mid-size sedan.

"Honda learned its lesson," said Michelle Krebs, an analyst with auto information company Edmunds.com, who also has driven the new model. "The interior was very high quality and well appointed. The engines performed extremely well. And most impressive, Honda is packing a lot of content into the price."

The LX, the base model with an automatic transmission and 2.4-liter, 4-cylinder engine, starts at $22,480. But Honda expects that most buyers will opt for higher trim levels, such as the middle-grade EX, which has added amenities such as 17-inch alloy wheels, a LaneWatch feature that displays a video image of the passenger-side blind spot when changing lanes, a driver's power seat and electronic entry. It has same engine and starts at $25,405 for the automatic.

The new Accord is almost 4 inches shorter than the previous model but offers more cargo space and a spacious cabin.

Honda's planners said in some ways they tried to make the new model a throwback to previous generations that had a sporty feel and were thought of as a "driver's car."

The 4-cylinder engine packs 185 horsepower and has an Environmental Protection Agency combined city and highway driving rating of 30 miles per gallon. That compares to 31 mpg for Nissan's new Altima and 28 mpg for the current Camry. An optional six-cylinder engine will provide more power but less fuel economy.

Conant, who owns the auto dealerships, figures that he is in a good position as manufacturers each bring out a competitive version of the traditional family sedan.

Although consumers have been relying more on manufacturer and third-party information Internet sites to research and whittle down their car-buying choices, "I wouldn't be surprised if we were to see more people coming to the showrooms and test-driving the various cars," he said. "This may create a real shopping experience."

Analysts expect Honda and its rivals to advertise their new models heavily, creating shopping interest and awareness and growing this segment of the auto business.

Conant sees a unique way to take advantage of that competition at the Ford, Honda and Hyundai stores he owns at the Cerritos mall.

"We might put a Fusion, Hyundai and Accord next to each other at one of the stores and let people look at them directly, drive them and cross-shop," he said.

Regardless of what the buyer settles on, he'll get the sale.
Legend2TL (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb ConsumerGuide

Pros
Refinement
Steering/handling

Cons
Small trunk opening
Vehicle Highlights

2013 Honda Accord Coupe: What is it?

Though its sales pale in comparison to its sedan sibling, Honda continues to offer a 2-door version of its popular front-wheel-drive Accord Sedan. The Accord Coupe is aimed at buyers willing to forgo some utility for a sportier look.

As coupes go, the Accord is more practical than most, offering slightly better rear-seat room and accessibility than some rivals. However, the Coupe's trunk capacity is less than that of its 4-door sedan sibling (13.7 cubic feet vs 15.8), and its long doors can't be opened as far as the shorter front doors of a sedan in tight parking spots, which can hinder ingress and egress.

The only directly competing midsize coupe is the Nissan Altima, which is also front-wheel drive. However, the Altima Coupe is offered only with 4-cylinder power for 2013. The Accord Coupe's indirect competitors include the Hyundai Genesis Coupe and V6-powered versions of the Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Challenger, and Ford Mustang. All of those coupes are rear-wheel drive, however.

Accord Coupes are built in the U.S.

2013 Honda Accord Coupe: What's New

Along with its 4-door sedan sibling, the 2013 Accord Coupe is redesigned with new styling, new features, a new 4-cylinder engine, and an updated V6 engine. Overall dimensions remain mostly unchanged, but rear-seat space and cargo volume are slightly improved.

2013 Honda Accord Coupe: Model Lineup Features and Options

Accord Coupe trim levels ascend through LX-S, EX, EX-L, and EX-L V6. No factory options are offered, so gaining additional features requires moving up to a higher trim level.

The entry-level LX-S comes decently equipped with standard equipment such as power mirrors/windows/locks with remote, tilt/telescopic steering wheel with radio controls, cruise control, interior air filter, height-adjustable driver seat, folding rear seat, aux jack and USB port, Pandora Internet Radio, and a rear-view camera.

The EX adds features such as a power sunroof, keyless entry and starting, fog lights, and a 10-way power driver seat. Also included is an upgraded stereo system with touch-screen control panel and Honda's new "HondaLink" interface with Aha. HondaLink is a smartphone app that serves as an access point for infotainment services. Aha is an internet-based platform for a wide variety of online content such as on-demand news, internet radio, podcasts, audio books, and local search (restaurant, ATM, parking, etc.) functions.

Moving up to the EX-L brings leather upholstery, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, heated front seats, and Honda's new-for-2013 lane-departure warning, forward-collision alert, and LaneWatch systems. LaneWatch uses a rear-facing camera mounted in the passenger side rear-view mirror to transmit a wide-angle view of the blind-spot area on the right side of the vehicle. The system can be configured to operate via a button on the turn-signal stalk, or to activate automatically when the right turn signal is in use.

The EX-L V6 adds the V6 engine (naturally), plus LED daytime running lights, a universal garage-door opener, driver's memory seat, and 18-inch wheels in place of the other models' 17s.

Both the EX-L and EX-L V6 can be equipped with a navigation system with voice recognition and real-time traffic info.

2013 Honda Accord Coupe: Engines, Transmissions, and Drive Wheels

2 engines are offered in the Accord Coupe: an all-new 185-horsepower 2.4-liter 4-cylinder (which replaces the previous 190-hp 4-cylinder) or an updated 278-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 (which is up 7 from the previous V6).

4-cylinder Accord Coupes offer the choice of a 6-speed manual transmission or a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that behaves much like an automatic. V6s come with a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission. When equipped with the automatic transmission, the V6 engine includes Honda's Variable Cylinder Management cylinder deactivation. When equipped with either the CVT or 6-speed automatic, steering-wheel paddle shifters are standard.

All Accord Coupes have front-wheel drive.

2013 Honda Accord Coupe: Fuel Economy

The 4-cylinder engine is EPA rated at 24 city/34 highway mpg with the manual transmission, 26/35 with the CVT. The V6 is rated at 18/28 with the manual and 21/32 with the automatic. Both engines use regular-grade gas.

2013 Honda Accord Coupe: Safety Features

All the expected safety features are standard on all Accords. Newly available safety features for 2013 include lane-departure warning, forward-collision alert, and Honda's LaneWatch camera.

This evaluation is based on preview test drives.

ACCELERATION
EX, manual EX, CVT EX-L V6, manual EX-L V6, automatic Class Average
5 5 8 7 5.6

4-cylinder Accords have decent power in around-town driving and adequate acceleration in highway merging and passing. The CVT is well-matched to the engine; it operates fluidly and responds quickly to throttle inputs. The V6 engine offers robust acceleration; its 6-speed automatic transmission is alert and responsive. On both 4-cylinder and V6 Accords, the manual transmission is easy and fun to use. The shifter moves crisply and the clutch pedal has a smooth (but very light) feel.

FUEL ECONOMY
8 8 6 7 7.9

No opportunity to measure. All Accords use regular-grade gas.

RIDE QUALITY
7 7 7 7 6.4

All Accords offer a fine blend of comfort and control. Most bumps are easily absorbed with little drama or unwanted body motion. V6 models' 18-inch wheels have minimal effect on ride quality.

STEERING/HANDLING/BRAKING
6 6 7 7 6

Like previous Accord Coupes, the new models are reasonably athletic for front-drive coupes based on a mainstream midsize sedan. Handling is stable and predictable, and body lean in corners is well controlled. Steering feel is accurate with good feedback on the highway and is nicely boosted at low speeds for easy maneuvering when parking. V6 versions have slightly sharper moves.

QUIETNESS
6 6 6 6 6.3

Wind rush is noticeable at highway speeds, as is tire noise on rough surfaces, particularly with the available 18-inch tires. The 4-cylinder has a decently refined exhaust note; it cruises quietly, but can get vocal in fast acceleration. The V6 sounds richer and classier all-around.

CONTROLS
8 8 8 8 7.1

The main gauge cluster has big dials that are easy to read. Buttons are large and clearly marked. Climate controls are clearly separated from audio controls by a "step" in the dashboard design. The central-dashboard screen is shrouded, so it's less susceptible to washing out in bright sunlight. The redesigned dashboard has fewer buttons and a less-daunting control layout than previous Accords. The lane-departure warning, forward-collision alert, and LaneWatch systems all functioned well on our test drives.

DETAILS
6 6 7 7 6.3

Accord interiors have a high-quality look and feel. Buttons and switchgear move with precision. Classy satin-finish silver trim helps dress up the dashboard. EX-L models' leather upholstery delivers a more-upscale ambiance. All Accord Coupes have unique design touches inside and out that give them a sportier look than their sedan siblings.

ROOM/COMFORT/DRIVER SEATING (FRONT)
7 7 7 7 7.4

Front seats are comfortable and supportive. There's ample headroom and legroom, even for taller adults. Large door openings and a high roof make entering and exiting Accord easy. Visibility is good all around, but the rear roof pillars slightly obscure the view to the rear corners.

ROOM/COMFORT (REAR)
3 3 3 3 5.9

Rear seat space is not bad for a 2-door coupe, though occupants over 6 feet tall will feel cramped. As expected, entry and exit are tricky. The back seat is best suited for children and/or short, limber people.

CARGO ROOM
3 3 3 3 5

Accord Coupes have a large, deep, usefully shaped trunk, though a smallish opening may prevent loading of bulkier items. Uncovered sickle-type hinges intrude somewhat on overall space. Note that the folding rear seat back is 1 piece, rather than split like on most cars. Also, the aperture created by folding the rear seat isn't particularly generous, and there is a step when the seatback is folded--this can complicate the loading of large items. Interior small-items storage is on par for the class: a roomy center console, twin cupholders, door pockets, and a cubby bin forward of the shifter.

VALUE WITHIN CLASS
8 8 6 7 7.3

The Honda Accord Coupe and its primary competitor, the Nissan Altima Coupe, occupy an odd middle ground in today's new-car market. Neither car is quite sporty enough to compete with rear-drive coupes such as the Ford Mustang or Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and neither car offers the 4-door versatility of its sedan counterpart. However, for a select group of buyers, the Accord Coupe delivers a "just right" blend of 2-door style and everyday practicality, and the 2013 model delivers tangible improvements on most every front. Highlights of the redesign include worthwhile new technology features and improved fuel economy figures with no significant penalty in performance.

Total Score
67 67 68 69 71.2

Total Score: 67

Scores for all Midsize Cars
Low Score
Average Score
High Score
Old 09-19-2012, 06:01 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Any Canadian pricing info on the new Accord? I wonder how much the Accord V6 Touring will be. I'd love to have that trim with the OEM kit and some nice 18" wheels.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I just picked up an Odyssey and Pilot for my company and there were a lot of accord at the dealership. Didnt know they were already out.

I only saw the Sport and LX...

LX had a 3000 markup $25k MSRP

SE looks X2 better than LX and LX looks 2X better than previous gen LX. The only thing that bothered me is the gauge is stupidly big to me. Even blind man can see it.

Good car.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Wsj

The usual order of things in the auto industry dictates that conventional, high-volume cars come 1st and niche products like hybrids come a distant 2nd if they come at all.

Honda is bucking the trend by preparing to roll out a plug-in-hybrid version of its redesigned Accord sedan early next year, just a few months after the bread-and-butter gasoline-powered model goes on sale. A standard hybrid will follow next summer. The moves reflect the growing importance of hybrids in the U.S. market — and Honda’s desire to trump the Prius hybrids built by its nemesis Toyota Motors Corp.

Driver’s Seat took a test-drive in a pre-production Accord plug-in this week.

I have yet to drive the regular Accord, so the plug-in was my 1st experience with the redesigned model. Because the car ran for just over 12 miles on electric power alone, I had an opportunity to test its “NVH,” which is autospeak for noise, vibration and harshness. These are all bad things in the car business — some of which have plagued Honda for years.

Noise from mechanical systems, wind and tires is a common complaint from Honda drivers. Compared with the top-selling Toyota Camry, the Accord has always been a bit buzzy. It drives some motorists to distraction — and, presumably, to other brands.

What stood out with the plug-in was its near-silent running in local driving and on the highway. Even without the engine masking other sounds, I didn’t notice the usual racket from wind or tires. Indeed, the car was so quiet that the engine caused a major disturbance when it kicked in. This suggests other versions will also be quieter than before.

Still, compared with other hybrids, plug-in or not, the Accord felt smoother and more solid, with the overall feel of a more-expensive car. Most of my drives were fairly short and didn’t require much use of the gasoline engines, which also kicks in for heavy acceleration. So my fuel economy was well over 100 miles per gallon for every outing.

This Accord plug-in could be a breakthrough among non-Prius hybrids. Honda has not released a price yet, but if it isn’t too steep the plug-in could convince many drivers to take the leap into hybrids.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Any Canadian pricing info on the new Accord? I wonder how much the Accord V6 Touring will be. I'd love to have that trim with the OEM kit and some nice 18" wheels.
2013 Accord Pricing:
Coupe
Accord 2D L4 EX 6MT $26,290
Accord 2D L4 EX CVT $27,490
Accord 2D L4 EXL-NAVI 6MT $29,990
Accord 2D L4 EXL-NAVI CVT $31,190
Accord 2D V6 EXL-NAVI 6MT $35,390
Accord 2D V6 EXL-NAVI 6AT $35,390
Sedan
Accord 4D L4 LX 6MT $23,990
Accord 4D L4 LX CVT $25,190
Accord 4D L4 SPORT 6MT $25,490
Accord 4D L4 SPORT CVT $26,690
Accord 4D L4 EXL CVT $29,090
Accord 4D L4 TOURING 6MT $30,390
Accord 4D L4 TOURING CVT $31,590
Accord 4D V6 EXL 6AT $32,790
Accord 4D V6 TOURING 6AT $35,290
Not bad t all.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
^^^^^

Equipped with that many hi-tech contents, the MSRP's are indeed very good.

This may help the Honda Accord to gain back the "best selling mid-size family sedan" crown in North America.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo

LX had a 3000 markup $25k MSRP
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Went to a Honda dealership today to check them out. I didn't get to drive it, but saw a few sitting out on the lot. The car looks pretty good in black. I'm still not sold on the interior, but it looks like a pretty good vehicle at least on the surface. I still need to take some time out to test drive one.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 PM
_

Originally Posted by biker
Went to check out the new Accord today. Dealer had a Touring. Sticker showed a $2,000 markup + $400 for a Karr alarm.

$36,000. For an Accord.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

I went look at a 13 AV6 EX-L Navi yesterday. It stickered @ 32,860 with not posted markup but who knows.

Anyway, I had a chance to eyeball it versus its 12 counterpart (also AV6 EX-L Navi) and the 13 definitely comes across as more upscale. What was most impressive is that is that the 13 loaded only stickered $160 more than the 12.

Alas, the wife is too much into upscale brands to consider another Accord. Hopefully, the 5G TL makes up for the styling debacle that was the 4G.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM
_

Swap Honda badges with Acura badges?

Oh wait. You said "upscale brands." Never mind.
The following 3 users liked this post by AZuser:
civicdrivr (09-23-2012), dom (09-24-2012), Hapa DC5 (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
^
Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Not bad t all.
17" alloys are standard on all Canadian LX models, I found that rather surprising.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AZuser
Swap Honda badges with Acura badges?

Oh wait. You said "upscale brands." Never mind.
MTEAZY (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I would have liked to have seen the Sport equipped better. Basically an EX or EX-L Sport would have been perfect. A Sport with Leather, Smart Entry, Moonroof and optional Nav would be perfect IMO. With the success of the Camry Sport I can see how that trim level may be adjusted or possibly grow in the near future.

For a difference a $1400 or so, do we really need an EX-L Navi? Just bundle everything in the Touring and offer another variation of the Sport.
+1
Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Equipped with that many hi-tech contents, the MSRP's are indeed very good.

This may help the Honda Accord to gain back the "best selling mid-size family sedan" crown in North America.
Yea, it's great to see a price reduction of about CAD$1k across the Accord range too. Makes me want to trade in for the Accord V6 Touring!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Safety Car

Arrow WindingRoad

The 2013 Honda Accord marks the 30th anniversary of the well-known nameplate. With an opportunity to commemorate this milestone with the best version of the car to date, well, we’ll go ahead and spoil it for you and say that Honda has succeeded. If you’re looking for a mid-sized family sedan that is high in quality, very comfortable, efficient, and (dare we say it?) actually fun to drive, this is the Accord you’ve been waiting for.

The Honda Accord sedan comes with a choice of 2 engines. 1st is an all-new 2.4-liter inline-4 with direct injection, producing 185 horsepower and 181 pound-feet of torque (189/182 in the Sport trim). Certain models offer a 6-speed manual transmission, but the 1 we tested was fitted with a continuously variable transmission. With the CVT, fuel economy is rated at 27 miles per gallon in the city, and 36 mpg on the highway, for a combined rating of 30 mpg—up by 3 mpg from the 2012 model.

The 3.5-liter V-6 is mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission. This 6-pot mill offers 278 horsepower and 252 pound-feet of torque. Fuel economy figures for this engine are 21 mpg city, and an impressive 34 mpg on the highway. This improved fuel economy is in no small part attributable to the V-6’s Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system. VCM allows the engine to use all 6 of its cylinders when the driver asks for more power and acceleration from the right pedal. The 2013 model ditches the 4-cylinder mode from last year’s model, and instead uses 3-cylinder operation under a wider range of driving situations.

We spent most of our time in the V-6 model—an EX-L with navigation. Getting inside it feels markedly upscale, perhaps half a class above competition such as the new Nissan Altima. It offers a mature look and feel, and the interior is laid out in an organized way. Our tester featured an attractive center stack topped with an 8-inch display. Below that was a smaller touchscreen display, then HVAC controls, with redundant infotainment controls along the bottom, for those who prefer not to bother with the touchscreen while driving. Our tester was also equipped with Bluetooth connectivity, satellite navigation, and Pandora internet radio to make us feel as though all our bases were covered in terms of technology.

As we headed out onto the Pacific Coast Highway, we found the ride to be very comfortable, quiet and smooth, with very little noise from the engine, wind, or road making its way inside the vehicle. The V-6 was exceptionally well suited to highway cruising, we found. It tracked nicely, without needing a lot of input from the driver. Visibility is ample, which allowed us to confidently navigate highway traffic.

In addition to large windows, a low beltline, and narrow A-pillars helping visibility, the new Accord offers a small piece of technology we found to be particularly remarkable. The Lane View feature is pretty simple: a small camera housed in the bottom of the passenger-side mirror that points downward and to the rear. You can choose to leave it on (which might be a bit dizzying for occupants who might be watching it), or set it to activate when you use the right turn signal. It displays whatever is beside and behind the right side of the vehicle on the large display on the center stack. On the highway, this allowed us to change lanes confidently, certain we weren’t encroaching on any driver that might be hanging in our blind spot. In the city, it allowed us to keep an eye on cyclists that might sneak up alongside us when making a right turn. Finally, of course, it was useful when parallel parking, allowing us to maintain a perfect distance from the curb every time. While it may feel like a bit of a novelty to some, we found it to be fantastically useful, and we hope to see this sort of thing catch on.

After driving for a while, we still felt comfortable in the soft yet supportive front seats. We never start to feel cramped, and were, in fact, quite impressed with the roominess of this cabin, as well as the well-thought-out ergonomics. Though we had plenty of space, none of the controls felt too far away. We had no trouble finding a nice seating position, with easy reach to the steering wheel and pedals, and we didn’t experience cramping or fatigue as we piled on the miles. When 1 factors in the roomy rear seats, the Accord sedan adds up to be a really nice touring car. This opinion was even more firmly cemented when we found the posted highway mileage in the V-6 to be easy to achieve.

And we weren’t bored to death, either. Not even close. The V-6-powered sedan is a decidedly quick car. It takes off eagerly from the line and accelerates aggressively to highway speeds. It is capable of easy passing maneuvers, and remains robustly powerful when you set the cruise control above posted speed limits. As we headed away from the highway onto long country roads that curved between hillside vineyards, it felt well planted in the corners. The steering offered up plenty of information about the road surface, but without adding too much vibration. The weight of the steering was nice and natural; it had a little bit of play on center, but weighted up progressively as we added more steering angle.

On these same back roads, we found the terrain to get much rougher than what we even usually find in Michigan after the snow melts in the spring. These were some bumpy roads, folks, patched and multicolored with uneven layers of tar spread across them. The Accord’s suspension dispatched this sad, mottled tarmac like a champion. In most other vehicles, we would have been clenching our teeth if just to keep all our fillings in place. The Accord did its best to even out this terrain, and while we were able to hear the tires reacting to the rough surfaces, the motion that made its way into the cabin was minimal.

The only disappointment was in that, in our tester, there was no way to shift through the gears on our own. The console-mounted shift lever was your basic PRND setup, with no manual mode. The only addition was an S mode at the bottom, which offered a little bit more aggressive shift schedule, holding onto the gears a bit longer than it would in D. That said, the transmission doesn’t take away from the smooth driving experience. It swaps gears quickly and quietly, making it difficult to notice when the change happens if you aren’t paying attention. Fair enough, say we; if you’re not going to let us get more involved in the driving experience, the next best thing is to keep out of the way.

So, after a long drive taking us through city, highway, and country roads, we were still feeling fresh and ready to drive some more. We managed to finagle our way into a 4-cylinder EX-L CVT sedan (it helps to be the first to finish lunch on these events). Heading back out over some more of those choppy country roads, we found that the differences in NVH weren’t really that noticeable. What little difference there was came from the combination of motor and transmission, and the sound they produced together. The song was a bit less smooth and pleasing as the V-6, but really nothing to complain about. In fact, we found this CVT and engine to function better than what we were used to, especially in terms of shift logic. The CVT didn’t hold the revs too high, and seemed to sweep slowly up the ladder in a progressive, natural way. Even at the top, under full load, the motor didn’t have that overwhelmingly buzzy and droning effect we’ve experienced so many times before in CVT equipped cars. The technology seems to be becoming more occupant-friendly, and the Honda Accord represents another step toward CVTs mitigating the sonic and experiential drawbacks the come with greater fuel efficiency. Welcome to the future; it’s a quieter place.

Those who want to save some dough at the lot and at the pump may be wooed by the charms of the 4-cylinder Accord. That car, with the CVT, starts at $22,480—a bit more than $10,000 less than the base V-6 model. From that point, the 4-banger seems a greater value.

If you’re more concerned about the price of living with it, though, think twice, especially if most of your driving is done on the highway. We expferienced almost the same highway mileage in both cars. This is probably because we had to be a bit more aggressive with the throttle with the I-4 to compensate for the lack of power, while the V-6 was effortlessly quick.

If it were our money, we’d be leaning more toward the added power and amenities included with the larger motor. It’s just that nice to use. Plus, if a navigation system is essential to you, the price between the 2 different powerplants shrinks to just over 2-grand (29,995 for the 2.4 EX-L with navigation, vs. 32,070 for the same trim 3.5). At that point, it’s a no-brainer. We’ll take the extra 93 horsepower, thank you.

Either way, if you want a capable, roomy, high-quality sedan with hardly any faults to be found, you’ll be doing just fine with this new Accord.
2013 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L V-6
Engine: V-6, 3.5-liters, 24v
Output: 278 hp/252 lb-ft
0-60 MPH: 6.2 sec (est)
Fuel Economy, City/Hwy: 21/34 mpg
Base Price: $30,070
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
F23A4 (09-26-2012), Legend2TL (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

Arrow ConsumerGuide

Pros
Refinement
Steering/handling
Cons
Small trunk opening
Vehicle Highlights

2013 Honda Accord Sedan: What is it?

1 of the top-selling cars in the U.S., the front-wheel-drive Accord Sedan has long been a benchmark for the midsize sedan class. It has also been a consistent recipient of Consumer Guide Automotive awards. The sedan version is by far the most popular, though a Coupe is also offered, and the Accord platform is also used for the SUV-flavored Crosstour (see separate reports).

Accord's biggest competitor over the years has been the Toyota Camry, and the 2 typically battle it out for the #1 and #2 sales slots among cars in the U.S. Other class rivals include the Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Chevrolet Malibu, and Ford Fusion in what is perhaps the most competitive segment in all of autodom. Almost all gas-engine Accords are built in the U.S. (a small number of early-production Accords will be built in Japan). A forthcoming plug-in hybrid version (which is slated as a 2014 model) will be built in Japan.

2013 Honda Accord Sedan: What's New

The 2013 Accord Sedan is redesigned with new styling, new features, a new 4-cylinder engine, and an updated V6 engine. Wheelbase shrinks by about an inch and overall length is down by 2.7 inches for 2013--despite this, both rear legroom and cargo volume improve slightly.

2013 Honda Accord Sedan: Model Lineup Features and Options

2 new trim levels--youth-oriented Sport and topline Touring--join the Accord Sedan lineup for 2013, and the previous SE model is discontinued. Accord's trim levels now ascend through LX, Sport, EX, EX-L, EX-L V6, and Touring. As before, no factory options are offered on the Accord Sedan, so gaining additional features requires moving up to a higher trim level.

The entry-level LX comes equipped with all of the basics, plus power mirrors/windows/locks with remote, tilt/telescopic steering wheel with radio controls, cruise control, interior air filter, height-adjustable driver seat, folding rear seat, aux jack and USB port, Pandora Internet Radio, and a rearview camera. The Sport model adds sporty touches such as 18-inch wheels in place of 16s, dual exhaust, fog lights, a rear spoiler, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and steering-wheel paddle shifters (when equipped with the CVT transmission).

The EX trim level adds features such as heated power mirrors, power sunroof, keyless entry and starting, 17-inch wheels, and Honda's new-for-2013 LaneWatch feature. LaneWatch uses a rear-facing camera mounted in the passenger-side rear-view mirror to transmit a wide-angle view of the blind-spot area on the right-hand side of the vehicle. LaneWatch can be configured to operate via a button on the turn-signal stalk, or to activate automatically when the right turn signal is in use.

Moving up to the EX-L brings leather upholstery, heated front seats, and Honda's new-for-2013 lane-departure warning and forward-collision alert systems. Also included is a multi-angle rear-view camera and an upgraded stereo system with touch-screen control panel and Honda's new "HondaLink" interface with Aha. HondaLink is a smartphone app that serves as an access point for infotainment services. Aha is an internet-based platform for a wide variety of online content such as on-demand news, internet radio, podcasts, audio books, and local search (restaurant, ATM, parking, etc.) functions.

The EX-L V6 adds the V6 engine (naturally), plus LED daytime running lights and a universal garage-door opener. The topline Touring model adds LED headlights and adaptive cruise control. EX-L, EX-L V6, and Touring models are available with a navigation system that includes voice recognition and real-time traffic info.

2013 Honda Accord Sedan: Engines, Transmissions, and Drive Wheels

2 engines are offered in the Accord: an all-new 185-horsepower 2.4-liter 4-cylinder (which replaces the previous 177- and 190-hp 4-cylinder engines) or an updated 278-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 (which is up 7 from the previous V6). The V6 includes Honda's Variable Cylinder Management cylinder deactivation.

4-cylinder Accords offer the choice of a 6-speed manual transmission or a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that behaves much like an automatic. V6 Accord Sedans come only with a 6-speed automatic transmission.

All Accord Sedans have front-wheel drive.

2013 Honda Accord Sedan: Fuel Economy

The 4-cylinder engine is EPA rated at 24 city/34 highway mpg with the manual transmission, 27/36 with the CVT. The V6 is rated at 21/34. Both engines use regular-grade gas.

2013 Honda Accord Sedan: Safety Features

All the expected safety features are standard on all Accords. Newly available safety features for 2013 include Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, and Honda's LaneWatch camera.

This evaluation is based on preview test drives.

Our road test for the 2013 Honda Accord Sedan includes a full evaluation of the 2013 Honda Accord Sedan from the inside out. We evaluate not only engine and handling performance for the 2013 Honda Accord Sedan, but also interior cabin and cargo space. Let our comprehensive road test ratings for the 2013 Honda Accord Sedan help you decide if a 2013 Honda Accord Sedan is right for you.

ACCELERATION
Sport 4-cylinder, manual EX 4-cylinder, CVT EX-L V6 Class Average
5 5 7 5.8

4-cylinder Accords have decent power in around-town driving and adequate acceleration in highway merging and passing. The CVT is well-matched to the engine; it operates fluidly and responds quickly to throttle inputs. The manual transmission is easy and fun to use. Its shifter moves crisply, and the clutch pedal has a smooth (but very light) feel. The V6 engine offers robust acceleration; its 6-speed automatic transmission is alert and responsive.

FUEL ECONOMY
8 8 7 7.6

No opportunity to measure. All Accords use regular-grade gas.

RIDE QUALITY
7 7 7 6.5

All Accords offer a fine blend of comfort and control. Most bumps are easily absorbed with little drama or unwanted body motion. Sport models' 18-inch wheels have minimal effect on ride quality.

STEERING/HANDLING/BRAKING
6 6 6 6

Like previous Accords, the new models are a bit more athletic than most mainstream midsize sedans. Handling is stable and predictable, and body lean in corners is well controlled. Steering feel is accurate with good feedback at highway speeds, and is nicely boosted at low speeds for easy maneuvering when parking.

QUIETNESS
6 6 6 6.4

Wind rush is noticeable at highway speeds, as is tire noise on rough surfaces, particularly with the available 18-inch tires. The 4-cylinder has a decently refined exhaust note; it cruises quietly, but can get vocal in fast acceleration. The V6 sounds richer and classier all-around.

CONTROLS
8 8 8 6.9

The main gauge cluster has big dials that are easy to read. Buttons are large and clearly marked. Climate controls are clearly separated from audio controls by a "step" in the dashboard design. The central-dashboard screen is shrouded, so it's less susceptible to washing out in bright sunlight. The redesigned dashboard has fewer buttons and a less-daunting control layout than previous Accords. The lane-departure warning, forward-collision alert, and LaneWatch systems all functioned well on our test drives.

DETAILS
6 6 7 6.3

Accord interiors have a high-quality look and feel. Buttons and switchgear move with precision. Classy satin-finish silver trim helps dress up the dashboard. EX-L models' leather upholstery delivers a more-upscale ambiance.

ROOM/COMFORT/DRIVER SEATING (FRONT)
8 8 8 7.4

Front seats are comfortable and supportive. There's ample headroom and legroom, even for taller adults. Large door openings and a high roofline make entering and exiting Accord easy. Visibility all-around is among the best in the class, thanks to generously sized windows and relatively thin roof pillars.

ROOM/COMFORT (REAR)
7 7 7 5.7

An Accord Sedan strong point. The rear seats are comfortable and both headroom and legroom are better than most class competitors. Generous door openings and a high roof make for easy entry and exit. Large window openings give the back seat an airer feel than some 4-door sedans.

CARGO ROOM
4 4 4 4.7

Accord Sedans have a large, deep, usefully shaped trunk, though a smallish opening may prevent loading of bulkier items. Uncovered sickle-type hinges intrude somewhat on overall space. Note that the folding rear seat back is 1 piece, rather than split like on most cars. Also, the aperture created by folding the rear seat isn't particularly generous, and there is a step when the seatback is folded--this can complicate the loading of large items. Interior small-items storage is on par for the class: a roomy center console, twin cupholders, door pockets, and a cubby bin forward of the shifter.

VALUE WITHIN CLASS
8 8 7 7.2

In the face of ever-improving midsize-sedan rivals, Honda redesigns the Accord for 2013 with an admirable focus on maintaining the car's individual character. The new Accord delivers tangible improvements on most every front, but also stays true to its traditional strengths: a fine ride/handling balance, a spacious back seat, and a solid, cohesive overall feel. Highlights of the redesign include worthwhile new technology features and improved fuel economy figures with no significant penalty in performance. Now more than ever, the hyper-competitive midsize-sedan segment is filled with excellent vehicles, but the Accord's redesign helps it keep pace with the best in the class.
Total Score
73 73 74 70.5

Total Score: 73

Scores for all Midsize Cars
Low Score
Average Score
High Score
Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the new 2013 Accord, it is a shame that they are asking for more than MSRP or even MSRP. The 2012 models were selling at a $4,000 discount last month. With the new design and dealer mark up is it worth $6,000- $7,000 more than the outgoing model?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
The 2012 was a 5 year old model. Of course its going to be marked down to make room for the new stuff.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Can't blame a business for making a buck when it can be made. Blame the consumer who'll buy into the hype.
The following 2 users liked this post by CarbonGray Earl:
civicdrivr (09-26-2012), dom (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,913 Likes on 4,312 Posts
Never...would I pay over msrp for a car.

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord News