Honda: Accord Crosstour News **2012 Model Info (page 11)**

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009 | 05:05 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
That's an understatement. That "TSX" wagon is actually hot compared to the crosstour...but it'll probably get beak-ified like the TSX if they brought it over.
i don't mind the TSX beak compared to the rest of the lineup.

bring the wagon here with the TSX beak. i'd look into getting it if i was in the market for a new car. but of course acura will make some other retarded move like not offering a v6 in the wagon.
Old 09-02-2009 | 05:32 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Originally Posted by myron
holly that's ugly, why would they do something like that and who are they gonna sell that too. like someone else said, I would also drive Venza before this. venza awd model looks good
Love your avatar!
Old 09-02-2009 | 05:38 PM
TMQ
Pro

The reason that TSX or Accord wagon is not here is that Honda would rather sell you a heavier, worse handling and less fuel efficient CUV. The CUV is a light truck and is subject to light truck fuel economy standards. A wagon is a car.

That way, Honda can boast the fuel economy of its cars. And of course, other manufactuerers do the same thing.
Old 09-02-2009 | 06:21 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Isn't that the appeal of a crossover? That it drives like a car but functions like an SUV? Otherwise known as wagons...except Americans have some sort of stigma against that word.
Old 09-02-2009 | 07:04 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by taitando
Isn't that the appeal of a crossover? That it drives like a car but functions like an SUV? Otherwise known as wagons...except Americans have some sort of stigma against that word.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not the stigma of being a wagon...but rather the car maker gets killed by CAFE standards for producing a wagon....whereas if it's a CUV, the MPG figures are a lot more lenient.
Old 09-02-2009 | 07:55 PM

Crosstour gets trashed on Facebook

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/02/o...ith-early-neg/

Here's one comment:

If I had a wallpaper of this car I would have to find a way to clean VOMIT outta my keyboard. -- Matt Q.

We hear you bud. You made your point. Some people will enjoy this car and this is for them -- Honda

Blind people can't drive... Matt Q.
and the Crosstour Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/accordcrosst...=wall&viewas=0

The comments are vicious!!!
Old 09-02-2009 | 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

I wonder what Mr. Honda would have thought of this.
Old 09-02-2009 | 08:49 PM
Race Director

I still say it will sell like the Aztec despite the Honda badge.
Old 09-02-2009 | 09:58 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Originally Posted by biker
I still say it will sell like the Aztec despite the Honda badge.
This will not sell. Especially when it releases with a >$30K price tag.
Old 09-02-2009 | 11:25 PM

Blind people can't drive... Matt Q.
Old 09-02-2009 | 11:29 PM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by dtc5
Are you referring to the new Sonata? The similarity I see is: They both have big grills! Never thought I’d say this but the new Sonata looks sexy as hell especially from the side view. Kind of reminds me of the Passat CC. If these pictures turns out to be true, the new Sonata IMO will be the best looking non-luxury brand 4-door sedans. At least better than this huge grill Accord Crosstour which may make it to the next Accord sedan...

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
looks like MSL created a new user name. on the same fucking month that ken tol him not to mention hyundai. and not to mention he posts about hyundais and has the same amount of letters in his SN
Old 09-02-2009 | 11:39 PM

i hope you're right.

isn't it a bannable offense to have 2 sn's?
Old 09-02-2009 | 11:53 PM

I think msl is just like water-s, just a joke account made by the mods to annoy the crap out of everyone.
Old 09-03-2009 | 08:28 AM
Instructor

It’s an offense to post about Hyundais?
Old 09-03-2009 | 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not the stigma of being a wagon...but rather the car maker gets killed by CAFE standards for producing a wagon....whereas if it's a CUV, the MPG figures are a lot more lenient.
If it's a CUV rather than a wagon so it can be classified differently, then is Honda also going to keep this model separate from the rest of the accord sales numbers?

From my understanding, they're calling it an Accord Crosstour so that they can add these numbers to total Accord sales, which will bump up the sales numbers and they can say, "Yay! We outsold Camry!"
Old 09-03-2009 | 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dtc5
It’s an offense to post about Hyundais?
In a Honda thread? Yes.

And the Sonata looks like it ripped off the C-Class.
Old 09-03-2009 | 09:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
In a Honda thread? Yes.

And the Sonata looks like it ripped off the C-Class.
We can keep on talking about the Crosstour in this thread, but for the love of God, please stop posting pictures of it! After the ZDX pics, my eyes can only take so much more!
Old 09-03-2009 | 10:22 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

If it's a CUV rather than a wagon so it can be classified differently, then is Honda also going to keep this model separate from the rest of the accord sales numbers?

From my understanding, they're calling it an Accord Crosstour so that they can add these numbers to total Accord sales, which will bump up the sales numbers and they can say, "Yay! We outsold Camry!"
Dunno know about how they are going to classify its sales #'s.

My comment was about why there are so few wagons built in the U.S.....my thought is that CAFE standards are wagon killers....hence why so many CUVs.
Old 09-03-2009 | 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Dunno know about how they are going to classify its sales #'s.

My comment was about why there are so few wagons built in the U.S.....my thought is that CAFE standards are wagon killers....hence why so many CUVs.
I see your point about how they would want it classified, but I think classifications go more by standards of measure rather than what the automaker wants to call it.

For example, I think the PT cruiser is classified as a 'truck' by NHTSA, and so is the Magnum since it meets most of the requirements set out by NHTSA to be classified as a "truck", while some CUV's are actually classified as station wagons (e.g. infiniti EX).

Here's what I found from NHTSA...
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/rules/CAFE/overview.htm
Who classifies vehicles for the purposes of CAFE and how is it done?

Authority to establish vehicle classifications for the purposes of calculating CAFE was delegated to NHTSA. Specifically, the definitions are as follows:

1) Passenger Car – any 4-wheel vehicle not designed for off-road use that is manufactured primarily for use in transporting 10 people or less.

2) Truck – a 4-wheel vehicle which is designed for off-road operation (has 4-wheel drive or is more than 6,000 lbs. GVWR and has physical features consistent with those of a truck); or which is designed to perform at least one of the following functions: (1) transport more than 10 people; (2) provide temporary living quarters; (3) transport property in an open bed; (4) permit greater cargo-carrying capacity than passenger-carrying volume; or (5) can be converted to an open bed vehicle by removal of rear seats to form a flat continuous floor with the use of simple tools.
Basically what I'm saying is even if they want people to think this thing is a CUV, it could still technically be classified for NHTSA purposes as a wagon. We won't know until we get all the details, but even Toyota WANTS the Venza to be classified as a car or wagon rather than a CUV.
Old 09-03-2009 | 11:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

At blind people
Old 09-03-2009 | 01:04 PM
Hello!

Comments are hilarious
BTW I believe this is a "truck" and will follow truck EPA laws but with ACCORD it will help sales there. If anyone buys it.
Old 09-03-2009 | 01:09 PM
TMQ
Pro

The reason that the Accord name is put on there is to help the ugly Crosstour sell. Marketing campaign will say, hey it's an Accord... The Crosstour name itself will not generate any buzz and the vehicle will tank.

Honda might try to group its sales with the Accord, for the sole purpose to hide the actual sales of the vehicle. If you don't set expectations, you won't be disappointed and there will not be bad press.

I see your point about how they would want it classified, but I think classifications go more by standards of measure rather than what the automaker wants to call it.

For example, I think the PT cruiser is classified as a 'truck' by NHTSA, and so is the Magnum since it meets most of the requirements set out by NHTSA to be classified as a "truck", while some CUV's are actually classified as station wagons (e.g. infiniti EX).

Here's what I found from NHTSA...
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/rules/CAFE/overview.htm

Basically what I'm saying is even if they want people to think this thing is a CUV, it could still technically be classified for NHTSA purposes as a wagon. We won't know until we get all the details, but even Toyota WANTS the Venza to be classified as a car or wagon rather than a CUV.
This is the light truck loop hole and all car makers try to exploit it in the U.S. That's why it's hard to find good wagons.

Unfortunately, I have searched several times but I can not find information on which vehicles are classified as light trucks. The government obviously don't want to make this information public.

Venza is obviously classified as light truck. Toyota may market this as a car, but this is not pharmaceutical and such marketing is not regulated. Honda's press makes it clear that Crosstour is a light truck.
Old 09-03-2009 | 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I think msl is just like water-s, just a joke account made by the mods to annoy the crap out of everyone.
he hasn't been on in awhile.

so he (water-s) is fake?
Old 09-03-2009 | 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TMQ
This is the light truck loop hole and all car makers try to exploit it in the U.S. That's why it's hard to find good wagons.

Unfortunately, I have searched several times but I can not find information on which vehicles are classified as light trucks. The government obviously don't want to make this information public.

Venza is obviously classified as light truck. Toyota may market this as a car, but this is not pharmaceutical and such marketing is not regulated. Honda's press makes it clear that Crosstour is a light truck.
the only thing I could find was this wiki on CAFE...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...e_Fuel_Economy and it kinda has criteria between passenger cars and light trucks.

I guess it gets even more confusing when you consider the EPA has their own whole classification system to go by as well. And the you have the customer/marketing classifications (CUV, near-luxury, midsize luxury, etc.). Such as the PT cruiser being considered a "car" for emissions (based on EPA) and a truck for CAFE (based on NHTSA).

eff it...just kill it with fire.

Last edited by mrdeeno; 09-03-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2009 | 06:40 PM
how handsome I am

Honda Accord Crosstour.. Lulz

http://www.facebook.com/accordcrosstour

check this out. Honda decided to try and "get hip" with the online community on Facebook and post the release of its new Accord Crosstour on there.

Let's just say whoever came up with THAT idea is probably in hot water right now.

The car is uglier than shit anyways. too bad.

Also on Autoblog in case you guys havent read it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/02/o...ith-early-neg/
Old 09-03-2009 | 07:22 PM
Sounders FC

Looks like they tried copying the Porsche Panamera and failed even more than Porsche did when they designed the Panamera...
Old 09-03-2009 | 07:24 PM
Sounders FC

They could have made it look like this...but nope...
Old 09-03-2009 | 07:29 PM
I drive a Subata.

so frigging ugly wow
Old 09-03-2009 | 07:30 PM
I drive a Subata.

What do you think of the Honda Crosstour's aesthetics?

Good looking 227 (3.2%)
Kill it with fire! 5692 (81.1%)
Meh, it's not that bad. 1102 (15.7%)

Honda, just kill it with fire! is the answer to your new vehicle.
Old 09-03-2009 | 07:47 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Honda/Acura is full of fail these days.
Old 09-03-2009 | 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

And everyone always came down on me for bashing Honda.
Old 09-03-2009 | 10:34 PM

The Accord Crosstour responds to the complaints on Facebook:

Originally Posted by Accord Crosstour
Hi, Facebook fans. We’re listening, and we want to address a few things you’ve been talking about over the past few days.

1. The photos: Arguably, the two studio photos we posted didn’t give you enough detail, nor were they the best to showcase the vehicle. There are more photos on the way. Maybe it’s like a bad yearbook photo or something, and we think the new photos will clear things up.

2. It’s not the European wagon: We've seen a lot of comments about the desire for a wagon, but this is neither a wagon nor designed for wagon buyers. We think the Euro wagon is a cool vehicle, too, and we appreciate the feedback… but a version of that wasn’t our intention here. That's another segment worthy of our consideration, but the Accord Crosstour, built on the larger, Accord platform, is meant to give you the best of two worlds – the versatility of an SUV with the sportiness of a car.

3. Many of you don’t like the styling: It may not be for everyone. Our research suggests that the styling does test well among people shopping for a crossover.

4. You want further details about the Accord Crosstour: We typically can’t give you details so far out from when the vehicle goes on sale for a number of reasons, including competitive intelligence and pure availability. However... we hear your frustrations, and while specs on the vehicle aren’t finalized, we’re trying to get some stuff together that we hope will satiate some of your curiosity and give you more to think about.

5. Honda associates participating in the wall comments: We didn’t remove comments out of embarrassment. We removed comments that were posted contrary to American Honda's consumer-generated media policy for associates: We must first clearly state that we are Honda employees and that a posting is a personal — not Honda’s — opinion. Eddie forgot to add that, so his comments were removed.

Thank you for all of the interest, and we’ll be in touch again soon...

@ the photos not being the best.
Old 09-04-2009 | 02:25 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Ugh. Honda, quit while youre, errrrrr, just quit.

Its funny that Honda is trying to justify this abomination to the FB "fans" that clearly have spoken their mind. Bring the car out in 30-something days and see the sales. Who knows, maybe some idiots will actually like it. But personally, I hope its a sales flop.

This is a prime example at how horribly wrong this sort of marketting can go.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 09-04-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-04-2009 | 05:13 AM

They should have just brought over the TSX (Euro Accord) wagon. It may not have sold as much as, per say a crossover but the Crosstour/ZDX sisters really cannot be grouped in with crossovers. I think they're more inline with the X6/AMC Eagle niche... seriously, they must have been on crack to have thought this was a good idea to begin with, let alone go through with testing and production.

I hope this thing fails miserably, as I did with the 4G TL. As consumers we can't let Honda/Acura get away with the idea that making butt-fugly cars is acceptable. Sure, there are people that will buy it as long as its a Honda/Acura. But there's simply no way that anyone in Acura's styling department can say that this new beak look is hands down an improvement from the previous gens with a straight face.

This just has to be some sort of sick joke. Instead of bringing over cars like the CTR generation after generation, and the diesel TSX, they give us like this. Honda's new name should be Honyota.

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
he hasn't been on in awhile.

so he (water-s) is fake?
no, just a lingering theory on why they're still around.
Old 09-04-2009 | 06:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Whisky. Tango. Foxtrot.

at Honda's response.

"The photos were not the best." I'm sure they said that about the new TL, too. "Our research suggests that the styling does test well among people shopping for a crossover." Yeah, people who want an ugly crossover. I'd rather buy an Accord sedan....I actually kinda like the funky styling of this gen.

They need to pull a GM.....they recently pulled a Buick crossover they were planning after universally negative input from focus groups including a semi-public group. I know these things are planned years in advance, but man when you present to universal negativity, how can you sell any?

OMG I used to wish for an American styling studio for Honda/Acura cars. Now that we have it, I can only think: "Be careful what you wish for." PLEASE START OVER!

Last edited by neuronbob; 09-04-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2009 | 07:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Maybe it’s like a bad yearbook photo or something, and we think the new photos will clear things up.

God luck with that.
Old 09-04-2009 | 07:03 AM
AZ Community Team

Gotta wonder if some marketing genius at Honda US has lost their job for promoting the use of FB for a cheap advertising inlet.

I loved the rhino picture someone posted.
Old 09-04-2009 | 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Whisky. Tango. Foxtrot.

at Honda's response.

"The photos were not the best." I'm sure they said that about the new TL, too. "Our research suggests that the styling does test well among people shopping for a crossover." Yeah, people who want an ugly crossover. I'd rather buy an Accord sedan....I actually kinda like the funky styling of this gen.

I would like to know what kind of test they did. I highly doubt that they showed pictures of it to people and then asked if they liked it. I have a feeling that they just asked people if they would like an Accord that was AWD and was similar to a CRV. Then they got their desired results and begun the manufacturing of this abortion.
Old 09-04-2009 | 08:54 AM

at honda's responses.
Old 09-04-2009 | 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Well didn't they do the same thing when they designed the Element? They went to colleges and interviewed students and shit...yet it ended up appealing more to old people than any college students.

They should've taken that as a sign that their surveying methods need some revising.

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord Crosstour News **2012 Model Info (page 11)**