Old 02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,313 Likes on 4,897 Posts
That is true.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up #1

For nearly two decades, the Toyota Camry, the Honda Accord, and the Nissan Altima have been slugging it out atop the mid-size car segment. After so many years of close combat, it's only natural that the feud has spilled over into a new arena -- tall wagons.

Nissan was to the first to explore this territory in 2003, when it essentially added a tall body and a lifted suspension to the Altima platform and christened it the Murano. It's been so successful over the past seven years that one has to wonder why it took so long for the other two big Japanese carmakers to follow suit. Well, they're here. The Murano, redesigned for 2009, now faces high-roofed versions of the Accord and Camry in the form of the Honda Accord Crosstour and the Toyota Venza.

Like their sedan progenitors, these three light crossovers match up very closely, each seating five people and powering the front or all four wheels with a 3.5-liter V-6 (the Venza can be also be fitted with a 2.7-liter four-cylinder). However, the vehicles do differ quite significantly in shape and purpose, ranging in character from traditional crossover (Murano) to luxurious large hatchback (Crosstour). We gathered well-equipped versions of each vehicle to see which mutant mid-sizer best fulfills the needs of this fledgling segment.

3rd Place: Toyota Venza

On paper, the Venza is the clear winner here. It strikes the best balance in this group between carlike driving dynamics and crossover-rivaling utility, which is, of course, the stated reason for this subsegment to exist. Although it has essentially the same size footprint as the Crosstour, it offers nearly twenty cubic feet more cargo room with the rear seats folded down and even edges out the taller Murano. Toyota engineers did a particularly good job packaging the rear struts so they only barely intrude into the cargo hold (take a good look, Honda).

So, why the last-place finish? In a word, execution. The lack of attention to detail is most noticeable inside, where, despite the aforementioned packaging advantages, the Venza's interior ranks dead last. A mess of mismatched, shockingly ill-fitting plastic panels form the Venza's dash, and the controls for the air-conditioning and radio feel five years old. It's not what we'd expect from any Toyota, let alone one carrying a Lexus-like price tag of $34,759.

The exterior also seems like it needed a bit more time to coalesce. It has the best basic profile among this bunch (which is, admittedly, not an attractive group of vehicles as a whole), but fussy lines in back and a toothy grille up front give the impression of a Lexus RX that melted in the sun.

As noted, the Venza drives very much like a car -- an exceptionally boring car. Under most conditions, body control is decent and steering is reasonably precise. But push the Venza at all on a curvy road, and only the optional 268-hp V-6 feels up to the task, as the cushy brakes and Cool Whip suspension squirm in protest. The garish, twenty-inch wheels do nothing to help in this department, as the soft dampers seem to send them bouncing in four different directions through bumpy corners. Overall, it's not much better than a well-mannered crossover or minivan. Given that Toyota's lineup is chock full of just such vehicles, from the RAV4 to the Highlander and the Sienna, we must wonder what this new model actually brings to the table, aside from added sales volume on the cheap.

There's nothing egregiously wrong with the Venza, and yet, there's nothing remotely appealing about it, either. Executed properly, the Toyota could easily be the best in this group, and yet right now, its styling, driving dynamics, and interior quality all scream mediocrity.

2nd place: Nissan Murano

Whereas Toyota has overdosed on crossovers, Nissan finds itself filling the gap with only two. With the smaller Rogue battling the hotly contested compact segment, it's up to the Murano to offer the utility of a larger vehicle to anyone not interested in the brand's aging line of body-on-frame SUVs.

That the Murano is attempting to fill larger crossover shoes is clear as soon as you see it parked next to the Honda and the Toyota. Its roof juts out several inches higher than the other two, and its masculine sheetmetal, revolutionary seven years ago, now comes off as almost traditionalist compared with the Venza's tough-wagon aesthetic and the Crosstour's downright weirdness. Not coincidentally, we find its angles and creases the most agreeable of this group, if still not quite attractive.

Inside, the Murano made great strides in materials quality with its 2009 redesign, and its new plastics are much better than those in the Toyota. The overall dash layout is a bit drab but ergonomically sound, and the optional Bose radio uses the same driver-friendly interface found in most Infinitis. Our only complaint, from a comfort standpoint, is with our $33,000 test vehicle's foamy, flat seats. As noted, it loses to the Venza in terms of overall cargo room, but it still offers plenty of space for big, bulky items.

The problem with the Murano's crossover leanings quite literally become apparent when you leave the confines of the city for slightly more challenging roads. It floats and sways unnervingly through turns, the inevitable result of having the group's highest roof and narrowest track. On stretches with more than one bend, it typically fell several car lengths behind the other two vehicles, which were hardly setting a bristling pace. Even the venerable VQ V-6 is outmatched here, as it equals the output of the other two but betrays its advancing age with a nonstop sound track of pained growls and vibrations.

The Murano's spaciousness and interior refinement still make it a solid choice, but as other brands have fleshed out their lineups with a crossover for every taste and budget, the Murano feels like it's neither big and useful enough to play with other mid-size crossovers nor nimble enough to run with these tall wagons.

1stplace: Honda Accord Crosstour

As we took turns behind the steering wheels of the mind-numbing Venza and the ponderous Murano, we couldn't help but wonder why anyone would choose them over similarly mediocre-to-drive crossovers and minivans. The Crosstour, in contrast, would run rings around most of those big people movers. During most maneuvers, the big hatchback feels exactly like the Accord on which it's based, the distinctively small Honda steering wheel further disguising its girth through tight bends. Only when pushed beyond the norms of sane suburban driving does the Crosstour make clear that it's carrying 600 pounds more than a V-6 Accord, overwhelming its front tires with predictable, easy-to-correct understeer.

The Accord connection is strong in the cabin, too, thanks to a familiar dash layout, but there's also a strain of Acura DNA in the nicely bolstered seats and the plush berber carpeting. Like most high-end Hondas and Acuras, the Crosstour's busy center stack suffers from button-itis, but they're nothing an owner couldn't fully decipher in a few weeks. Overall, the cabin feels fully fitting of a $37,000 vehicle, which is more than we could say about the Venza and even the Murano.

The chink in the Honda's armor can be found aft of the rear seats, where struts and stereo speakers choke the rear cargo area. These obstacles, combined with the sloping rear liftgate, all but preclude the Crosstour from hauling big-ticket items. Considering Honda's well-earned reputation for excellent packaging, it's something of a disappointment that the Crosstour fails to use its size nearly as well as the other two vehicles in our test.

And yet, we have no reservations about naming it the overall winner in this group. Ultimately, we don't it see as the job of these tall wagons to possess world-beating utility. Indeed, Honda's showroom alone offers two strong choices for those seeking maximum cargo space -- the Odyssey and the Pilot (not to mention the significantly less expensive and more compact CR-V and Element). What the Crosstour offers instead is more luxury and a better driving experience than the typical people mover. That's something we can stand behind.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Race Director

Received 627 Likes on 505 Posts
Only when pushed beyond the norms of sane suburban driving does the Crosstour make clear that it's carrying 600 pounds more than a V-6 Accord, overwhelming its front tires with predictable, easy-to-correct understeer.
See that's the thing, a regular Accord wagon would have only been maybe 100 lbs more than the sedan and would have handled just like the sedan.

Regardless of all these puff pieces, the sales will be affected by the Aztec like ugly looks.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Who knew the Murano was a tall wagon
Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ my thought too.....
Old 06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Murano?

I would have liked to see the Outback in there.

And if I wanted something that drove nice none of these would be on my shopping list. Their sedan counterparts would.

The fact that....

The chink in the Honda's armor can be found aft of the rear seats, where struts and stereo speakers choke the rear cargo area. These obstacles, combined with the sloping rear liftgate, all but preclude the Crosstour from hauling big-ticket items. Considering Honda's well-earned reputation for excellent packaging, it's something of a disappointment that the Crosstour fails to use its size nearly as well as the other two vehicles in our test.
makes it a failure at what it supposed to be. Throw in styling only a blind person and LuvMyTSX could love and you have a recipe for disaster. Yet, its not selling that far below expectations. Its puzzling IMO.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
ugly
Old 06-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
my co-worker got one a week ago and it's fucking nasty looking. Venza is a much nicer car
Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,149 Posts
Saw one on the street and I couldn't get over how ugly I thought it was.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Venza looks much better than either of them, and even then I still think its kinda ugly.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
on the Murano in this comparo. makes no sense..
Old 06-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
I'm curious if the crosstour would look better lowered with some nice wheels
Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see why the Murano wouldn't be a competitor. All three of these vehicles are two row crossover-ish type vehicles. Yeah the Murano isn't marketed as much a car as the Venza is but nevertheless they are competitors just as the Ford Edge is as well.

In my opinion it's the Crossturd that is the odd guy out because of its shape towards the back, although again I still consider it to be a competitor too.

At the end of the day the Crossturd, Venza, Murano, and even the Edge are all CUV-ized versions of the family sedan platforms that sell in high volume (Accord, Camry, Altima, Fusion).
Old 06-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Murano?

I would have liked to see the Outback in there.

And if I wanted something that drove nice none of these would be on my shopping list. Their sedan counterparts would.

The fact that....

makes it a failure at what it supposed to be. Throw in styling only a blind person and LuvMyTSX could love and you have a recipe for disaster. Yet, its not selling that far below expectations. Its puzzling IMO.
Heyyyyy

I'm sorry, but all of them are odd looking and each has at least one exterior styling point I can't stand. I just find the Crosstour the most appealing out of the three ugly ducklings.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,149 Likes on 2,577 Posts
Finally saw a Crosstour in person at the Honda dealer, it's no beauty queen but is certainly also no Aztek either. In some ways I would prefer it to a Accord Sedan since it holds more, but it's pricey. Really nice interior.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Recall

Some 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour vehicles are being recalled for an issue with the front passenger airbag.

According to Honda, on 3,336 Crosstours the airbag module doesn't meet a federal regulation that required it to be tested (for airbag deployment) with an unbelted 6-year-old-sized crash-test dummy.

Owners are encouraged to take their vehicle to the dealership as soon as they get notication from Honda. Notification by mail will begin September 22, or owners may contact Honda to see if their vehicle is among those affected.

Honda notes that in many states, 6-year-olds aren't even allowed to ride in the front seats, and the automaker recommends that all children 12 and under should be properly restrained in the back seat.

Although this is a minor issue, it isn't the only safety-related blemish for the Crosstour. Earlier this summer the model only earned a 'marginal' score for roof strength (rollover) in an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) test. The IIHS voiced its disappointment in the results; the Honda Accord sedan, which shares some components with the Crosstour and only earned an 'acceptable' rating in the roof test. Both ratings disqualify those vehicles from being named Top Safety Picks.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Race Director

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...zdx-new-name/1

Faced with slow sales, Honda is adding some tweaks and giving its novel car-like crossover a new name.

The Accord Crosstour becomes, simply, the Crosstour. In case you don't remember this one, this is the boxy, hatchback version of the Accord. It's more upscale stablemate, the Acura ZDX, hasn't exactly set sales charts on fire either.

Honda sold 1,477 Crosstours last month. The 11,518 Crosstours sold so far this year is about equal to the number of Rogue crossovers that Nissan sold in a single month, July. Only 102 ZDXs were sold last month.

To help the Crosstour perform in showrooms, not just on the road, Honda is giving it more features for 2012 -- a standard rear-view camera, Bluetooth hands-free communications and a USB audio interface.

We suspect Honda is a little perplexed about why this model hasn't performed better. Its 3.5-liter V-6 engine produces 271 horsepower and 18 miles a gallon in the city, 26 mpg on the highway. Cylinders shut off when they aren't needed.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Race Director

Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts

Honda sold 1,477 Crosstours last month. The 11,518 Crosstours sold so far this year is about equal to the number of Rogue crossovers that Nissan sold in a single month, July. Only 102 ZDXs were sold last month.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,958 Posts
We suspect Honda is a little perplexed about why this model hasn't performed better.
Seriously?

Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't think there's any question why it hasn't performed better.

Hate to say I told ya so, but well, most of us did. It was pretty obvious that the CrossTurd and ZDX were doomed to fail. Not sure how anyone could miss something so obvious.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

From Dec 2009.

Originally Posted by dom
We'll see about those 40K units a year. The Insight was supposed to sell 100K per and we all know how thats going.
Either way, no way in hell this thing sells 40K per year. I'm guessing 15-20.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
600 lbs heavier than a V6 sedan? So it would feel like a V6 accord carry 4 people. ... i hate it when the car feels heavy.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by dom
From Dec 2009.

, though that was not a hard prediction.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

This ugly unneeded vehicle was doomed from day one.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
, though that was not a hard prediction.
I just wanted to use the smiley.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Safety Car

Wink 1 Million

SACO, Maine -- A Maine man and his car are celebrating a million-mile milestone.

Joe LoCicero (luh-SISS'-er-oh) was given a 2012 Honda Accord at a parade in the city of Saco on Sunday after surpassing the million-mile mark on the odometer of his 1990 Accord. He reached the milestone last Thursday.

LoCicero says he bought the car in 1996 with 74,000 miles. The former mechanic did much of his own work. The secret he says is following maintenance schedules, using quality parts and driving safely.

He swears the transmission and engine are original.

Now that he has a new Accord, he's not sure what he'll do with the old 1.

The following users liked this post:
Invisible (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Why post that in the CrossTour thread?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

I was coming in here hoping for the death of the CrossTour announcement.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
B A N N E D

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Why would you want Honda to kill one of their products?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Its already dead to everyone but Honda anyway.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
They still sell this??? I thought they discontinued it last year??

I think I've only spotted this car four times over the past 2 years.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Unhappy Ooops!

I was busy this morning & did not notice I had the wrong Accord thread - my bad.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I figured. No prob, I'll move it. Just thought I might have missed the reasoning for it being in here.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:12 PM
B A N N E D

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
600 lbs heavier than a V6 sedan? So it would feel like a V6 accord carry 4 people. ... i hate it when the car feels heavy.
I took a look at the Honda website, it list the V6 EX-L at 3593, and the EX-L Crosstour at 3887. Only 294 lbs. Opt for AWD, tech package....
Old 12-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
New Four-cylinder 2012 Honda Crosstour EX and EX-L Combine Affordability, Fuel Effici

Press release about 2012 Honda Crosstour models.

New Four-cylinder 2012 Honda Crosstour EX and EX-L Combine Affordability, Fuel Efficiency and a Sleek Crossover Design

The four-cylinder model delivers an EPA-estimated 29 mpg highway

Two new four-cylinder, two-wheel-drive Honda Crosstour® models are set to go on sale next month, broadening the vehicle’s appeal through a lower price point and EPA-estimated fuel economy that increases 3 mpg<sup>1</sup> in the city and 2 mpg<sup>1</sup> on the highway.
Equipped with a 2.4-liter i-VTEC inline four-cylinder engine producing 192 horsepower, the newest Crosstour is available in two trim levels, including the Crosstour EX and leather-upholstered Crosstour EX-L. A Honda Satellite-linked Navigation System<sup>2</sup> is available on the Crosstour EX-L.
EPA-estimated fuel economy on the four-cylinder Crosstour is 21 mpg<sup>1</sup> city and 29 mpg<sup>1</sup> highway, a significant increase from the 271-horsepower 2WD V6 model’s EPA estimated 18 mpg<sup>1</sup> city and 27 mpg<sup>1</sup> highway.
With the launch of the new four-cylinder Crosstour models, some useful features are now standard across the entire Crosstour family, which first debuted for the 2010 model year with V6 power. Standard features now include an automatic dimming rearview mirror, a rearview mirror back-up camera display for improved rear visibility (non-Navigation models), convenient auto-on/off headlights, Bluetooth®<sup>3</sup> HandsFreeLink® and USB audio interface.

Bold Exterior and Functional Interior

Honda Crosstour approaches the crossover SUV formula from a distinctively sleek, sporty and fuel-efficient perspective, while also maximizing the interior’s cargo capacity, versatility and premium feel.
The exterior design emphasizes a bold, aerodynamic look that also conceals an accommodating rear cargo area. The four-cylinder model includes body-color door handles and unique 17-inch alloy wheels with P225/65 R17 all-season tires. Two new colors are available on all 2012 Crosstour models: Twilight Blue Metallic replaces Glacier Blue Metallic, and Basque Red Pearl II replaces Tango Red Pearl.
Premium interior styling, appointments and details extend from the passenger compartment all the way through the cargo area. An under-floor storage area in the rear of the vehicle adds functionality, while reversible cargo floor panels accommodate dirty objects.

Efficient Four-cylinder Powertrain

The new four-cylinder Crosstour models come with a 2.4-liter, 16-valve DOHC i-VTEC® engine for power and efficiency. The engine produces 192 horsepower at 7,000 RPM and 162 lb-ft. of torque at 4,400 RPM, while achieving an EPA-estimated city/highway/combined fuel economy of 21/29/24 mpg<sup>1</sup>. To maximize efficiency, a technologically advanced 5-speed automatic transmission with Grade Logic Control is standard equipment.

Comprehensive Feature List

In addition to auto-on/off headlights, Bluetooth<sup>3</sup> HandsFreeLink®, USB audio interface and rearview mirror back-up camera display with integrated guidelines, additional standard features on the new four-cylinder Crosstour EX include projector-beam headlights, a moonroof, body-colored power side mirrors with defrost, auto-up/down driver and front passenger side windows, and rear privacy glass. Inside are air conditioning with second-row ventilation, a 360-watt AM/FM 6-disc audio system with seven speakers, steering wheel-mounted cruise, audio and phone controls, an easy fold-down 60-40 split rear seatback, a hidden removable utility box and more.
Crosstour EX-L adds leather-trimmed seating surfaces with heated front seats, a memory driver-side seat and memory-linked side mirrors with reverse gear tilt-down capability, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift knob, dual-zone automatic climate control, an automatic dimming rearview mirror, a premium audio system with Kevlar® cone speakers and front aluminum dome-type tweeter speakers, XM® Radio and more. Also available on the Crosstour EX-L is the Honda Satellite-linked Navigation System<sup>2</sup> which includes a rearview camera with guidelines integrated into the display.

Safety Assets

Safety technology includes the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, a Honda-exclusive body design that enhances occupant protection and crash compatibility in frontal collisions. Additional safety equipment on the Crosstour includes Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®), anti-lock brakes with electronic brake distribution and brake assist, side curtain airbags with a rollover sensor, driver’s and front passenger’s side airbags with passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS), dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags, and active front seat head restraints.
The Crosstour is assembled in Ohio at the Honda of America Mfg., Inc., East Liberty Auto Plant using domestic and globally sourced parts.

Warranty

The 2012 Honda Crosstour is covered by a 3-year/36,000-mile new-car limited warranty, a 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain limited warranty, and a 5-year/unlimited-mile corrosion limited warranty.
Source: Honda News
Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the reason why these cars do not sell well is not because they did not come with a 4 cyl engine.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Race Director

^ you don't need to go very far out on that limb to surmise that.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

This has been rumored for some time now.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the reason why these cars do not sell well is not because they did not come with a 4 cyl engine.

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord Crosstour News **2012 Model Info (page 11)**