Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Honda Facebook
Old 09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I couldn't take it any more. I posted on the wall. Please forgive me....

As a 20-year, loyal, Honda/Acura buyer, I can tell you that there's no way I would buy this. No matter how exemplary the interiors, how perfect the fit and finish, this is yet another example of how the American Honda/Acura studio has simply gone off the deep end in recent years. The new Acura TL and ZDX are other examples of this awful styling trend. I'm sorry, Honda, but you guys have blown it. You have forgotten about what makes Honda, Honda: simplicity in style and function. I actually replaced my last Acura with a Cadillac CTS-V this year. My S2000 I will keep until gas engines are no more, OTOH--that was a GREAT example of beautiful, simple styling and function.

I am almost ready to take a pitchfork and head for Torrance in protest.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
What the hell has happened to Honda/Acura????? It's like they have all gone crazy and are hell-bent on building ugly vehicles.

This crosstour thing looks ridiculous.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I couldn't take it any more. I posted on the wall. Please forgive me....
Good. I just don't get what the hell American Honda and Acura are doing anymore. Seems like all of the sane or even likable designs from Honda are inspired by Japanese or European divisions. The American division has gone completely mad. Their car designs are bulky, CHEAP looking (and cheap in materials too), and incredibly UGLY.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Honda in North America today is turning into the GM and Ford of North America from +10 years ago.....where all the great product was overseas.....the U.S. product was horrible...uninspiring......but management claimed the U.S. buyer did not want the overseas product.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Honda took the Facebook page link off its Crosstour page.

What's next?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,391 Likes on 4,937 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Honda took the Facebook page link off its Crosstour page.

What's next?
Removing the Crosstour from their lineup.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Race Director

crosstour will fail and get crushed by the venza like the insight got crushed by the prius.

nothing from the honda division is exciting anymore except the accord coupe. the s2000 is gone. on the acura division, only thing exciting to me is the TSX. if i had a big family the MDX would be on my list too. the ZDX sucks, TL is ugly, and the RL and RDX sales are woeful.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:24 AM

I hope this is a rude awakening for Honda and they see the error of their ways and start designing/building vehicles that people enjoy, not just Toyot- I mean appliances. Hondas used to have soul, remember the Preludes, the CRXs, or we can go even further back and look at the S600s? Those cars had character and soul.

Originally Posted by Mokos23
crosstour will fail and get crushed by the venza like the insight got crushed by the prius.
The reason the Prius is selling more then the Insight is that sadly most people think the only company that makes hybrids is Toyota. They have the most. And have you seen the Prius ads? Im not in marketting, but those ads are quite honestly beautiful. They capture your attention right away. The Insight ad is what? That stupid beach ad where the Insight multiplies? Great, Honda built a hybrid roach. You kill one, and two more show up.

I hope Honda rethinks their marketting strategy (doesnt seem like they had much of one though).
Old 09-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Mokos23
At least this has a V6.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:11 PM

You can get the Venza with a 6.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Not just a smell

After waiting 1/2 year for a "wagonish" Accord, it looks like I'll be picking up the Venza. Not because of looks but rather a matter of space. I'll let my kids destroy the interior of the Venza and 6 years later I'll pick up something new.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,447 Posts
I actually like the Venza, I just don't care for the grill...
Old 09-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
You can get the Venza with a 6.
Huh. The magazine I was reading was either wrong, or behind then.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
more photos in red
this thing is simply fk ugly...
what the hell are they thinking about?? idiots

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/05/h...d-does-it-hel/
Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 744 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
I actually like the Venza, I just don't care for the grill...
It's grille dammit, grille. Grill is what you put your steak on.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
It's grille dammit, grille. Grill is what you put your steak on.
Technically speaking both should be spelled 'grille' but the other spelling is really not anywhere as annoying as referencing Nissan's luxury brand as 'Infinity'.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Technically speaking both should be spelled 'grille' but the other spelling is really not anywhere as annoying as referencing Nissan's luxury brand as 'Infinity'.
Ha, even more annoying is V-TECH
Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by F23A4
There is a lot of confusion between these two words, but in modern English, Bezlebutt's separation of the two is correct. There is nothing wrong with the spelling of "grill," when referring to the object used for cooking food.

Given the size of the Venza's and Crosstour's grilles, I think they could also be used successfully to grill food.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post Pricing

Honda Announces Pricing for All-New 2010 Accord CrossTour
Premium and versatile crossover utility vehicle based on the popular Accord starts at $29,670

11/03/2009 - TORRANCE, Calif. -

The all-new 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour is set to debut on November 20 with a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) starting at $29,670, plus a destination and handling charge1 of $710, American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced today.

The Accord Crosstour combines the sophisticated refinement of a premium sedan with versatile characteristics of an SUV to create an entirely distinct concept within the Crossover Utility Vehicle (CUV) segment. Leveraging the many benefits of a car-based platform, the Accord Crosstour starts with the top-level refinement of the Accord V-6 Sedan and further expands utility with a sleek-yet-functional profile for increased cargo space.

The Accord Crosstour is designed to fulfill multiple roles for both style and function. A bold and sleek exterior conveys a prestigious presence from the outside, while premium interior styling extends from the passenger compartment into the cargo area. Increased functionality is provided by an under-floor storage area in the rear of the vehicle and reversible cargo floor panels ideal for dirty objects. Cargo area access is further enhanced by a tailgate with a large opening and a low lift-over height.

All Accord Crosstour models come standard with a 3.5-liter i-VTEC V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) designed for power and efficiency. The engine produces 271 horsepower at 6,200 RPM and 254 lb-ft. of torque at 5,000 RPM while achieving an EPA-rated city/highway fuel economy of 18/27 mpg 2 on 2WD models. The VCM cylinder deactivation system is programmed to run on 3, 4 or 6 cylinders, based on current power requirements. A technologically advanced 5-speed automatic transmission is standard equipment. For CUV capability, the Accord Crosstour provides amble ground clearance and Real Time™ 4WD drive is available.

The Accord Crosstour is available in two model choices, the EX and EX-L. Highlights of standard features on the Accord Crosstour EX include: dual-zone automatic air conditioning with second row ventilation, 360-Watt AM/FM 6-disc audio system with seven speakers, easy fold-down 60-40 split rear seat back, 17-inch aluminum wheels with 225/65 R17 all-season tires, hidden removable utility box, cruise control, moonroof, auto up/down driver and front passenger side windows, rear privacy glass, steering wheel-integrated audio controls, compass and outside temperature indicator, projector beam headlights with auto-off, fog lights, chrome door handles, body-colored power side mirrors with defrost, and more.

The Accord Crosstour EX-L adds or upgrades: leather-trimmed seating surfaces with heated front seats, leather steering wheel, leather gear shift knob, auto day/night dimming rearview mirror, 18-inch aluminum wheels with 225/60 R18 all-season tires, auto on/off headlights, memory driver-side seats, memory side mirrors with reverse tilting capability, cargo privacy cover, HomeLink™ transmitter, cargo privacy cover, Kevlar® cone speakers, aluminum dome-type front tweeter speakers and a USB audio interface.

Available features exclusive to the Accord Crosstour EX-L include the Honda Satellite-linked Navigation System 3 and Real Time 4WD, available together or separately. The navigation system includes a backup camera with guidance lines integrated into the display.

Safety technology includes the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, a Honda-exclusive body design that enhances occupant protection and crash compatibility in frontal collisions. Additional safety equipment includes: Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®), commonly referred to as Electronic Stability Control; anti-lock brakes with electronic brake distribution and brake assist; side curtain airbags with a rollover sensor; driver's and front passenger's side airbags with passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS); dual-stage, multiple threshold front airbags; and active front seat head restraints.

The Accord Crosstour is assembled in Ohio at the Honda of America Mfg., Inc., East Liberty Auto Plant using domestic and globally sourced parts.
Model Transmission MSRP1 EPA City/Hwy/Combined2
Accord Crosstour 2WD EX 5-Speed Automatic $29,670 18/27/21
Accord Crosstour 2WD EX-L 5-Speed Automatic $32,570 18/27/21
Accord Crosstour 2WD EX-L Navi 5-Speed Automatic $34,770 18/27/21
Accord Crosstour 4WD EX-L 5-Speed Automatic $34,020 17/25/20
Accord Crosstour 4WD EX-L Navi 5-Speed Automatic $36,220 17/25/20
Old 11-03-2009, 09:59 AM
OG Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motor Trend First Drive - 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour

Honda expects to sell 40,000 of these a year!

http://www.motortrend.com/road....html

Car and Driver Short Take Road Test - 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour

http://www.caranddriver.com/re..._test

Edmunds Full Test - 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour

http://www.insideline.com/hond....html

Possibly the biggest problem for the 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour is last week's announcement that the 2011 Acura TSX Sport Wagon goes on sale next fall. Not only does the TSX wagon have a more conventional shape and presumably more cargo capacity, it's likely to land in exactly the same price range.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

The Crosstour still reeks of FAIL. In most of the test currently done, it doesn't even beat it's main competitor the Venza at anything (performance, cargo space, mpgs), and it cost more than the Venza
Old 11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Damn that thing is the red headed stepchild of cow shit. What in the world is honda doing. Especially that pricing. Fire every one in this country in the design studio and who is in charge. And for the love of god get some Commercials out there already that are on par with toyota/lexus
Old 11-03-2009, 12:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I drove by my local Honda dealer this morning as I do everyday and noticed they had a used Aztek parked out on the grass in front of the dealership. First thing that came to mind was that this was a sign of things to come at Honda dealerships across NA.

Epic fail.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

In my humble opinion, the miscalculation with the Crosstour's Facebook moment was that its shape is so complex, so unusual, it's almost impossible to accurately convey to a 2D audience (even here in this story). The car almost refuses to be photographed; it needs to be physically pondered on two moving feet, watching the surfaces blend and emerge as you change perspective. And while -- even after lots of pondering -- we might all agree that the Crosstour is not exactly museum material, parked next to Toyota's Venza or Nissan's Murano (as Honda smartly arranged) the Crosstour is aesthetically competitive.

There may be hope yet.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The look is purely subjective. The pricing really strikes me as odd. The Crosstour has more room than the TSX wagon that’s about it. But if you want more room, yeah stick to a Venza or Murano…
Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

$36,220 for an Accord Aztek?!?!?!?!

DOA
Old 11-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
First Test: 2010 Honda Accord Crosstour

Cross Purposes: The Blogs Got it Wrong
November 03, 2009 / By Kim Reynolds / Photography by Julia LaPalme

Dateline Palos Verdes, California: Guess what, automotive blogosphere, Honda's Accord Crosstour is not the design catastrophe you so deliriously predicted.

Prior to the new Crosstour's traditional introduction, Honda, rather innocently, released early images of the Crosstour on Facebook. However, these social networks can often be less than sociable gatherings. Snap a finger, and a bunch of collegial car-loving "friends" can transform into a pack of frenzied piranhas. And on their menu last September was the complicated-looking Crosstour, which was spilling blood in the water even before it was properly introduced to the mainstream press. Okay, so just about every car company these days is upping the ante with their online stripteasing, leaking a photo here, releasing a gallery to a social network there, but this time, the viral publicity machine chose to bite back -- and bite back hard. Oh, for the days when a new car was revealed to the world with one mighty whiskaway of a black sheet at a major car show.

In my humble opinion, the miscalculation with the Crosstour's Facebook moment was that its shape is so complex, so unusual, it's almost impossible to accurately convey to a 2D audience (even here in this story). The car almost refuses to be photographed; it needs to be physically pondered on two moving feet, watching the surfaces blend and emerge as you change perspective. And while -- even after lots of pondering -- we might all agree that the Crosstour is not exactly museum material, parked next to Toyota's Venza or Nissan's Murano (as Honda smartly arranged) the Crosstour is aesthetically competitive. Sure, its stern appears to be in an early stage of the Porsche Panamera's elephantitis, but it's a pleasant visual adventure nonetheless. In the sedan, where the rising side creases empty into nowhere, here the grooves neatly transition from a concavity to a convexity and then nicely resolve into the rear bustle. Alas, the biggest problem is the Crosstour's rejiggered Accord snout; pulling out of the driveway I asked my wife if she saw anything wrong with the car's appearance. She pointed to the nose and then slightly fluttered her flattened hand. Signal to the folks who penned that wondrous-looking FCX Clarity (also a big four-door hatchback): It's time to stage that revolt against the sausage-makers in Honda's mainstream design department.

Inside, the Crosstour's Accord origins are entirely familar, and a good thing, too. Our example was an EX-L with Navi (Crosstour's trims consist of either EX, EX-L, or EX-L with Navi -- no base LX), and it makes for a very premium environment. Unique to Crosstours are blue instrument lighting effects, a nice faux wood trim, and interiors that are either all black, or, like ours, a split, upper black/lower tan motif. Compared with the sedan, there's a smidgeon more head- and shoulder room, but the news, naturally, is the cargo bay's nominal 25.7 cubic feet (expanding to 51.3 when the split rear seats are folded) vis-a-vis the sedan's puny 14.0.

Lifting the hatch raises the aft portion of a two-part security screen (an EX-L feature), revealing a handsomely finished flat-floored luggage compartment (including scrap plate) that's conveniently extensible via twin rear-accessible seatback releases. It's an awfully handy volume, though the multilink rear suspension's spring towers do noticeably intrude. Stashed under the reversible floor panel (carpeted on one side, plastic on the other for grimy items) is a removable and washable, 1.9-cubic-foot plastic bin; under the stern is a space-saver spare that lowers by cranking.

From the driver's seat, the split-window rear view is tolerable (and thank heavens for the Insight-like second window and available backup camera). However, in every other direction, the view's great, and why not what with you sitting some two inches higher (look to the taller section tires and/or available 18-inch wheels that contribute some 1.4 inches of it).

Dynamically, the added height's hardly noticeable. This is partly creditable, we're told, to curious, new springs (yep, second small coils) added above the front shocks. It's said to aid in keeping the inside tire better planted during cornering (hmm); interestingly, it was also employed on the original Acura Legend back in 1987. An old Honda trick, it would appear. Whatever, the result is unlike any Accord I've ever driven. It's smooth, supple (though rarely floaty), and simultaneously nearly absent the tire noise we've come to grudgingly endure in Accords. Frankly, it rides more like a big Toyota or Lexus. The steering too, is more languid, with intentionally slower response than the Accord sedan. Again, Lexuslike.

While the front-drive Crosstour's underpinnings are essentially Accord (the AWD version being 60 percent so), there are plenty of interesting new tricks that are sure to appear among its brethren. The latitude given the V-6's cylinder deactivation (it can drop to four or three powered cylinders) has been increased, while the consequent vibration and noise have been nixed by active engine mounts (which actually vibrate in sync) and noise-canceling tactics within the cabin. Two other developments are rev-matched downshifts and the inclusion of cornering data into the transmission's shift strategy (any detection of lateral g suppresses unwanted upshifts). What's amusing is that none of this is noticeable. Ab-so-lute-ly none.

Now, some of what I've said might have you wondering. A softer ride? Slower steering? Lexuslike this and that? What's up?

The Crosstour has been tuned for a narrow new market, one that's always been within a tantalizing finger's reach of the Accord sedan-empty-nesters. Hence the softening, the V-6-only availability, the absence of a base trim level. Our question is whether the Crosstour's added utility might actually be more attractive to full-nesters, but, hey, Honda owns the market research data, not us. What we are sure of is this is one delightful car to drive, as well as a lot more useful than the Accord sedan. Oh, and also that early images of a complicated-looking "empty-nest"-bound vehicle on Facebook may not be a good idea.

YOUR QUESTIONS
Prior to attending the Crosstour's introduction, we asked our online audience to submit some questions for me to ask Honda on your behalf. (Subliminal message: Get involved with motortrend.com; you never know when you might be quoted.)

Thewiione: What does Honda expect the take rate for the Crosstour to be versus the standard sedan? About 10 percent. Honda expects the Crosstour's first-year sales to reach about 40,000 compared with the sedan's approximately 400,000.

Deerefan87: Is this Honda's direct response to the class-wayfaring Toyota Venza? Not at all. Its product planning far predates the Venza's appearance. Their similarity simply shows that both companies are looking closely at the same market and finding similar opportunities.

Will it appear in Motor Trend's Car of the Year or SUV of the Year competitions? The EPA classifies it as a passenger car while NHTSA regards it as a light-duty truck. The EPA's decision was triggered by two little aero flaps ahead of the front wheels, which are six inches above the ground; the rest of the vehicle is 8.1 inches, enough to make it a light truck. (Fortunately, Motor Trend has several months to mull this one over!)

21budd: Sales data demonstrates that, while fewer customers buy wagons, when they do they seldom get a sedan again (one reason for Subaru's customer loyalty). Wouldn't this car have a bigger market as a sedan? No. (But late-breaking news has it that the Accord Touring, available elsewhere, will be coming to our shores as the Acura TSX Sport Wagon. Hot diggity.)

K-omar: Will it come to Puerto Rico? Probably. (And, yes, that's the first time I've asked that question at a press introduction).
Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Pricing seems out of whack (high) and I still can't get over the snout, but hopefully it will look better in person.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:28 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Pricing seems out of whack (high) and I still can't get over the snout, but hopefully it will look better in person.
I hope the prices are incorrect.

The Venza starts at 25k and tops out with V6 AWD @ 29,250 (options extra)

The crosstour prices are jawdropping to say the least.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in terms of looks, i'll have to reserve (real) judgement until i see it person.

pricing seems high, but i believe the venza's is similar, right? i'm seeing a lot of venza's on the streets now, and that has a love it or hate it nose.

40,000 units seems high for this car, but maybe it's possible.

i want to like this car. (wish it had big wheels like the venza too. )

EDIT: nvm. moog provided venza pricing, and it's 30k tops w/o options. (pretty affordable car for what it is. no wonder i see so many of them.)
Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Prices are direct from Honda. They're correct.

Up here Honda's are pricier than comparably equipped Toyota's and have been for a few years. So nothing new to me.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

If this pricing holds true, and this becomes the trend with Honda design & pricing, I want to be the first to congratulate Hyundai on taking away Honda sales.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dom
There may be hope yet.
haha, I doubt it. I read autoblogs take and they said that although it looks different in person than in pics, it doesn't neccessariy look better. Honda really can't make a good front end anymore (save for the CR-Z).

Originally Posted by dtc5
The pricing really strikes me as odd. The Crosstour has more room than the TSX wagon that’s about it. But if you want more room, yeah stick to a Venza or Murano…
Looking at the interior pics of the Crosstour, with that sloping roofline, I don't think that it would have more interior room than a TSX wagon. It would probably have less. And at that price I think the TSX wagon would be a no brainer, although SH-AWD likely won't be available.

For those that need real utility and AWD Subaru and Toyota have that covered with the Outback and Venza.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
The looks are wrong, the pricing is wrong, the volume level for the demographic in the current economic climate is wrong. The problem with many companies, like Honda, is that they just guessed wrong a few years ago when this was on the drawing board of what was needed for the market. They had the guts to pull the plug on the NSX but not this - they should have.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by biker
The looks are wrong, the pricing is wrong, the volume level for the demographic in the current economic climate is wrong.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by biker
The problem with many companies, like Honda, is that they just guessed wrong a few years ago when this was on the drawing board of what was needed for the market. They had the guts to pull the plug on the NSX but not this - they should have.
I agree with the first part of your post but disagree with the latter. Venza sells around 5K a month. People will always need space and practicality. IMO, this could have been a successful vehicle.

You can't expect people to go from a Ody or Pilot to a Civic. Going to a Accord Wagon is a more reasonable expectation.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 744 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by (Cj)
Looking at the interior pics of the Crosstour, with that sloping roofline, I don't think that it would have more interior room than a TSX wagon. It would probably have less.
The Crosstour has 51 cu ft of interior cargo space with the rear seats down, which is exactly the same as the A4 Avant, that's despite the Avant being an actual wagon - and no one bashes the A4 for being too small. The Crosstour does have less room in the back compartment though, and like the euro Accord wagon it has this tapered pass-thru which kind of sucks.

I have to say, I don't understand why they use the "coupe" styling on this vehicle. The ONLY reason you ever do that is because you want it to look stylish. Does anyone think this humpback looks stylish? Come on.

Toyota went the safe way and made their wagon look like an SUV and not a coupe. Not sure if the Honda guys were aiming for an A5 Sportback look, but obviously they failed. I guess with the 5-series GT and the Panamera they can tell their boss they weren't the only ones.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:49 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
meh, the new Outback is cheaper, better looking, better AWD system, and has more cargo space
Old 11-03-2009, 05:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Does anyone think this humpback looks stylish? Come on.
Yes, it's stylish!! You cannot photograph it for it appears ugly only in photographs(it's a scientific phenomenonmenonemen thingy sort of dealy)....but one must see it in person to see that it is beautiful!!!

Quick Reply: Honda: Accord Crosstour News **2012 Model Info (page 11)**