Buying in First Run of Production??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying in First Run of Production??

I've heard the general caveat about not buying the first model year. I've gotten myself comfortable with that (if only because I don't want to wait another year for this car!). But my next issue is buying in the first run of the cars - i.e. those being delivered in October.

Does anyone have any specific experience that argues against getting a car out of the first run.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:00 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Buying in First Run of Production??

Originally posted by 04TLToBe
I've heard the general caveat about not buying the first model year. I've gotten myself comfortable with that (if only because I don't want to wait another year for this car!). But my next issue is buying in the first run of the cars - i.e. those being delivered in October.

Does anyone have any specific experience that argues against getting a car out of the first run.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The car has been out since april, so the ones being delivered now are not the first run of cars.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Buying in First Run of Production??

Originally posted by fdl
The car has been out since april, so the ones being delivered now are not the first run of cars.

In what country????

I think he is referring to the TL.

I wouldn't worry about it, Acura has a ton riding on the new TL, I highly doubt they are going to let it out the gates with any flaws.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

OK, maybe I should clarify. Does anyone have any experience in knowing if there are any problems in buying in the first mass production of cars. Thanks. Also, does the fact that Acura is making the car alleviate any concerns?
Old 09-18-2003, 04:07 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Buying in First Run of Production??

Originally posted by BradW
In what country????

I think he is referring to the TL.

I wouldn't worry about it, Acura has a ton riding on the new TL, I highly doubt they are going to let it out the gates with any flaws.

Shit sorry, my mistake. I was just listing the newest threads and didnt notice this was in the TL section.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:15 PM
Racer

Well, I bought an early '86 Legend, and an early '01 CL-S. I didn't have more problems with them than I've had with other cars that had been out much longer.

-r
Old 09-18-2003, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

My parents bought a '97 CL in its first run of production (purchased summer '96). The biggest problem they've had is a cracked engine mount (which isn't an initial quality issue). Everything else has been great. It's got 100k miles on it now.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Look at all the people who have 1999 TLs and still have them on the road. I'd say we're safe with new Acuras.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Advanced

I bought the first '99 3.2TL on the lot in September 1998. Acura redesigned the car that year and moved production from Japan to Marysville, Ohio.

Not one problem. 67,000 miles.

I (almost) feel guilty about buying the '04TL.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the first run paranoia is overrated. When I bought my '99 TL, the only thing that was bad was the 5 speed, side airbags and DVD navi that came a year later.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Racer

I bought a '94 Accord Coupe in it's first run. Had a cylinder valve problem in the first month...dealer fixed it...and that was it. Sold it to a sister-in-law a few years ago. She still has it and it's still going stong at 140,000+ miles.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 04TLToBe
OK, maybe I should clarify. Does anyone have any experience in knowing if there are any problems in buying in the first mass production of cars. Thanks. Also, does the fact that Acura is making the car alleviate any concerns?
There is always a small risk of something being not fully optimized in the first year. The fix will get in the following year and the previous year model takes a hit because suddenly the car is viewed as less desirable. I had the experience with a 1999 Odyssey which I sold in 2001 for almost MSRP after 2 years of driving. It just took a little more time to sell it. People were concerned with the brake problems known on the 1999. Again, someone comes along who has no clue about the history and buys the car. In my case, Honda took care of the problem to my satisfaction.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:47 PM
10th Gear

I purchased a 1990 Accord when they first came out and had no problems to speak of.

I now own a very early 2003 G-35 and I'm very satisfied with the car. Still I have had a few problems that got corrected on the 2003.5 cars produced several months later. These issues have all been corrected under warranty. I also got to drive a loaner G35 while mine was in the shop.

I think the new TL looks to be a great car and I personally wouldn't mind owning one of the first TLs as long as I like the car enough after a test drive AND if Acura gives you a loaner when the TL is in the shop.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:16 PM
More On

Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying in First Run of Production??

Originally posted by fdl
Shit sorry, my mistake. I was just listing the newest threads and didnt notice this was in the TL section.
lol, lol, lol, LOL!!!!!!!

Hey FDL, they make this a special TL section just for you, and still you can't keep it straight???
Old 09-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by G-35
I purchased a 1990 Accord when they first came out and had no problems to speak of.

I now own a very early 2003 G-35 and I'm very satisfied with the car. Still I have had a few problems that got corrected on the 2003.5 cars produced several months later. These issues have all been corrected under warranty. I also got to drive a loaner G35 while mine was in the shop.

I think the new TL looks to be a great car and I personally wouldn't mind owning one of the first TLs as long as I like the car enough after a test drive AND if Acura gives you a loaner when the TL is in the shop.
Like he mentioned, the 2004.5 TL will get some small minor updates and some fixes, so I will hold out for that allotment
Old 09-18-2003, 10:28 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Buying in First Run of Production??

Originally posted by larchmont
lol, lol, lol, LOL!!!!!!!

Hey FDL, they make this a special TL section just for you, and still you can't keep it straight???
I know...I've got noone to blame but myself this time
Old 09-19-2003, 06:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 2004TL
Like he mentioned, the 2004.5 TL will get some small minor updates and some fixes, so I will hold out for that allotment
Waiting six months to a year does not sound like an obsession.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:40 AM
Intermediate

I bought the Honda Accord EX 1998, the first year it changed to a new model. I've had quite a few problems with it, including brake noise, window not up/down properly. Small issues but they were inconvenient and took up my time as I had to keep bringing the car back to the dealer.
A friend of mine bought the same model but at a later year (2000) and his has been running without any problems at all. And it's not because his is newer. Those problems of mine started a few months after I bought the car, and they keep coming.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it might probably be a good idea to wait for about a year, so that the manufacturer can get some of the bugs (as part of the re-design process) fixed.

But again, everyone wants to have the new model when it first comes out, while nobody else has it. Also, not every newly re-designed cars will have problems, so if you have the money and the desire, I'd say go for it. Life is too short to be hesitating all the times, you know?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Cheque
.....if you have the money and the desire, I'd say go for it. Life is too short to be hesitating all the times, you know?
Exactly. Don't base your whole life on worst-case scenarios. Get your TL and be happy.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:50 AM
More On

Long long ago, I got the BMW 320i in its first year ('77). The car was as great as I had hoped -- when it ran. It was constant trouble. The whole time I assumed it was just because of "first model year." But before long I was hearing and reading data that made it seem maybe it wasn't just that. I doubt I'd consider another BMW unless and until their reliability data improve -- a lot.

Of course the experience also made me wary of first runs and first model years. I made an exception for the TSX because it wasn't really a totally new car (see "Euro Accord," plus as far as I know an even closer version had been in Japan for a few months), plus it was Acura.

I'd hesitate a little more on the TL because it IS brand new -- but not much. The only thing that would keep me from getting a TL right away is that I like the TSX too much. If I like the TL better, I'd get it, and I wouldn't wait. But I doubt that'll happen.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:24 PM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally posted by Cheque
I bought the Honda Accord EX 1998, the first year it changed to a new model. I've had quite a few problems with it, including brake noise, window not up/down properly. Small issues but they were inconvenient and took up my time as I had to keep bringing the car back to the dealer.
A friend of mine bought the same model but at a later year (2000) and his has been running without any problems at all. And it's not because his is newer. Those problems of mine started a few months after I bought the car, and they keep coming.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it might probably be a good idea to wait for about a year, so that the manufacturer can get some of the bugs (as part of the re-design process) fixed.
That generation of the Accord is not the only release from Honda that has had teething problems. I've seen the same thing happen for the 4th- and 7th-generation Civics as well as the 2nd-generation Odyssey.

Also, not every newly re-designed cars will have problems, [ ... ]
Agreed.