I'm ready for Trade questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm ready for Trade questions

I'm ready to trade my 2019 RDX at the end of this year. Pretty happy with the RDX however I'm looking at other similar SUV's. Just a couple of questions;

1) I purchased a spare tire kit for $380. Will the kit fit newer models RDX ex. 2024-25?

2) My 2019 has the popping sunroof noise which I learned to live with. Has Acura been fixed this in newer 2024-25 RDX's?

3) If you were trading your RDX in what would be your selection and why?
Old 04-29-2024, 08:51 PM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas RDX
I had hoped that the CX-70 was going to be a real 2 row rather than just a converted CX-90 as I wanted the PHEV version but with that off the table I'm looking real closely at the Toyota Crown Signia. I drive 90% in the city on short trips so I'll get 2.5x the fuel economy with the Crown Signia (15mpgs vs 36-40mpg). It might be bigger than I want at 194" but it looks sharp and seems to have all the features my wife and I value. Pricing wise it might be slightly more than a comparably equipped RDX - figure $70k CAD OTD.

The new X3 PHEV that's coming out at the end of year might be an option but I suspect it's beyond what I want to spend on a car - I did really like driving the EV version last fall and the build quality was terrific. The Volvo XC60 PHEV is appealing except the dealers here are only stocking the top two trips so the pricing is ridiculous - OTD it's over $100k CAD for one.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

The CX-90 PHEV is nice but don't need the extra seating

If Acura doesn't fix the pop in the sun roof on the RDX my interests are in the direction of

1) Genesis GV70 2.5T
2) Audi Q5
3) Volvo XC60

Yes unfair dealership would only have high end models to choose from. Seems they could locate one that you liked and have it transported to your local area. Or play the waiting game when they don't sell maybe the'll discount at end of the year to keep them moving. I saw somewhere that there is a way to see how long a vehicle has been sitting on the lot and more likely the dealer will negotiate a reasonable price.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 228 Posts
[QUOTE=Vegas RDX;16935740 - If you were trading your RDX in what would be your selection and why?[/QUOTE]

So many options, will depend on your priorities - everyone is different. What's on your short list?

I've owned my 21 RDX Aspec SHawd for 3 1/2 years and 23K miles.
Pros - Super reliable (not one issue yet), quiet cabin, great seats, rock solid in all climates, relatively quick and a great road tripper.
Cons: AC system is not the strongest for Texas summers (ceramic tint helps - especially the windshield), doesn't tow much, more "sporty than sport" and city MPG is terrible (highway is ok - depends on the terrain, wind and temps).
*As for the sunroof - its big and slight creaking is par for the course one the structure flexes. If it only does it rarely and doesn't leak - I leave well enough alone.
**I may consider the Acura extended warranty which is very reasonable for 2 years when my expires considering the super low miles and exceptional shape; as the RDX hasn't really changed since 2019 (besides the slight refresh in 2022) - as any one visit to the dealer to get something fixed out of warranty is a easy $1K.

Personally - I like these options in no particular order: 2024 Tesla Model Y Performance revised coming out soon (lease - never buy technology that changes rapidly), Acura MDX Type S (super expensive - second hand CPO may be), Hyundai Tucson Hybrid, BMW X3, Ford Explorer ST (kind of big and in a different league) and Kia Sorento Xline.

To me reliability and warranty are BIG deals - as I have had a few unreliable vehicles or ones that spend a ton of time at the dealer - plus cost me a small fortune to fix after the warranty ends) - those I tend to punt way too late.

Plus, with new and used inventory busting at the seams (and growing daily), shortage of qualified buyers (not vehicles) - this is a BUYERS market - deals can be made like in mid/late 2020. I'd never pay MSRP these days - nor ever entertain a "dealer mark up" for a depreciating asset.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 04-30-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
Recently traded my 20 A-Spec SH-AWD with 32k miles in for a 23 Audi SQ5. Purchased a 7yr/100k warranty that covers everything and has travel insurance as an added bonus. Acura refuses to offer a performance variant of the RDX so I went elsewhere. No interest in a 3 row SUV, but the MDX-S does look good. Unfortunately the performance isn't there to back it up. Looked at an X3 M40i as well but price and ability to tune, or lack thereof, kept me away.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (05-02-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NBPDC505
Recently traded my 20 A-Spec SH-AWD with 32k miles in for a 23 Audi SQ5. Purchased a 7yr/100k warranty that covers everything and has travel insurance as an added bonus. Acura refuses to offer a performance variant of the RDX so I went elsewhere. No interest in a 3 row SUV, but the MDX-S does look good. Unfortunately the performance isn't there to back it up. Looked at an X3 M40i as well but price and ability to tune, or lack thereof, kept me away.
Agree. That Audi is a sweet performance SUV.

Some of us were hoping Acura would offer a RDX S-Type, but that does not seem to be on the drawing board - especially as the RDX is in its 6th year on the 3rd generation. The minor revision/update in 2022 would have been a prime opportunity to build one - but every MFG was focused on bring a EV model to market. Let's hope Acura is working on a 4th generation of the RDX now, and add a sport model (not just a Aspec).
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
ATC (05-02-2024), ESHBG (05-02-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 01:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I would give serious consideration to the Genesis GV70 3.5T if I were in the market for another 2 row CUV. It was a consideration as was the Q5 before I purchased the Nautilus.
The delayed release of the GV70 and the long term maintenance concerns with the SQ5 lead me to go with the Nautilus. After 5 years the Nautilus continues to provide trouble free service.
The performance of the 2.7 twin turbo, the quiet ride and the surprisingly decent fuel economy are some of it's strong points.
As a onetime owner of an RDX I would never consider another one.
ESHBG (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I would give serious consideration to the Genesis GV70 3.5T if I were in the market for another 2 row CUV. It was a consideration as was the Q5 before I purchased the Nautilus.
The delayed release of the GV70 and the long term maintenance concerns with the SQ5 lead me to go with the Nautilus. After 5 years the Nautilus continues to provide trouble free service.
The performance of the 2.7 twin turbo, the quiet ride and the surprisingly decent fuel economy are some of it's strong points.
As a onetime owner of an RDX I would never consider another one.
The Genesis GV70 3.5T is in another league performance wise (engine, suspension and brakes) - that would compare more to a "S-Type" which Acura only made in the MDX, not the RDX.

Your Nautilus 2.7 twin turbo is similar to the Ford Explorer ST. The new ones are either 4 cylinder turbos or Hybrid turbos. Your model year has a lot of performance. Glad to hear you have had 5 years of trouble free motoring.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The CX-90 PHEV is nice but don't need the extra seating

If Acura doesn't fix the pop in the sun roof on the RDX my interests are in the direction of

1) Genesis GV70 2.5T
2) Audi Q5
3) Volvo XC60

Yes unfair dealership would only have high end models to choose from. Seems they could locate one that you liked and have it transported to your local area. Or play the waiting game when they don't sell maybe the'll discount at end of the year to keep them moving. I saw somewhere that there is a way to see how long a vehicle has been sitting on the lot and more likely the dealer will negotiate a reasonable price.
I cross shopped those 3 along with the Lincoln Corsair and the Mazda CX-5/50.

Only one I would consider is the GV70. Different ballpark than the rest. It has luxury and power. But I was shopping for 2-3 year old used cars in the 30s and the GV70 hasn't made it down that far yet.

Q5 was smaller inside than I expected, reliability scared me.

XC60 was my favorite but they consistently scored the lowest on reliability ratings and I couldn't see myself spending that kind of money on a car I expected to have more serious issues.

Corsair transmission was garbage, tried both the 2.0 and 2.3 models and didn't like them, which was a shame, because the looks, luxury, and tech are all there.

Mazda... It's a great all around car, no qualms with it, just preferred the RDX.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:39 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm ready to trade my 2019 RDX at the end of this year. Pretty happy with the RDX however I'm looking at other similar SUV's. Just a couple of questions;

1) I purchased a spare tire kit for $380. Will the kit fit newer models RDX ex. 2024-25?

2) My 2019 has the popping sunroof noise which I learned to live with. Has Acura been fixed this in newer 2024-25 RDX's?

I had a 2021 RDX and experiences from sunroof creaking in the cold, but that mysteriously didn't happen the 2nd winter I had it. I now have a 2023 RDX and have experienced any noise from the sunroof. I would consider a GV70, but they are still having some issues with rear differentials making noise and eventually being replaced on both the 2.5 and 3.5 models. They are also still building out their dealer network in my area so most are still being sold in Hyundai showrooms. I would also consider an Outback XT. I know not the same class of vehicle, but I owned 4 Subaru's before my RDX and all provided me a trouble free and low maintenance driving experience. The XT models are still just as fast as the RDX in the straight line so its not lacking in any speed.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NBPDC505
How would you compare your 23 Audi SQ5 vs your ex-RDX Aspec Sh-awd? Pro and cons?

Did you drive the X3 M40i?
Old 05-03-2024, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
How would you compare your 23 Audi SQ5 vs your ex-RDX Aspec Sh-awd? Pro and cons?

Did you drive the X3 M40i?
I did not drive the X3 M40i, as it didn't fit into the amount I wanted to spend. It is a quicker vehicle, but from what I read is not the most comfortable ride as it is stiff regardless of settings. Jekyll/Hyde setup is more what I prefer.

So far, other than not being able to get the diamond contrast stitching Nappa leather seats with cooling is the only thing I feel I'm missing from the RDX.

The SQ5 is rated at 19 city/24hwy but I'm easily getting 22-23 in traffic on surface roads on the way to the office. I see many reports of people getting 27/28mpg hwy (haven't had a need to spend time on the road yet) and some even cresting 30mpg. In my RDX, hitting the advertised numbers required driving in a deliberate manner to achieve which negated anything but soft peddle negotiation and slow speeds. Essentially, the RDX rated mpg is optimistic and the SQ5 is downplayed. If you swapped the rating between the two cars it would much closer represent reality.

The RDX had a great radio with the ELS 3D setup. The SQ5 has a 19 speaker Bang and Olufsen system that sounds great as well. I do enjoy the touch screen setup in the Audi, it is quick and has lots of options/flexibility.

The tires are, funny enough, the exact same size as the RDX at 255/45/20 so there won't be any additional cost on that front.

SQ5 has 6 piston Brembo calipers with thick 13.8" rotors up front for some serious braking capabilities well beyond the RDX.

The SQ5 stock 0-60 is 4.7 seconds and quarter mile is 13.4@103mph so the ability to get up to speed is much better.

My SQ5 is optioned with air suspension so the ride height and comfort level are on demand with a couple of clicks. This also included the upgraded torque vectoring rear diff. RDX Advance/A-spec Advance get the adjustable shocks that are available on every SQ5. It's good that Acura offers the Torque vectoring capabilities across the range if AWD is there.

The RDX has more storage in the trunk and is a slightly larger vehicle overall. For me, going a little smaller was of no consequence.

Maintenance or ongoing price is a question mark looming over my head. I'm happy every time I get behind the wheel, and the car is a blast to drive so I'm ok with higher cost of ownership.

Insurance did go up slightly, but considering the amount of electronics and $70k sticker price I don't think that should be a surprise.
The following 4 users liked this post by NBPDC505:
ESHBG (05-04-2024), hand-filer (05-06-2024), RDX10 (05-05-2024), Texasrdx21 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:48 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by subiefanIL83
I had a 2021 RDX and experiences from sunroof creaking in the cold, but that mysteriously didn't happen the 2nd winter I had it. I now have a 2023 RDX and have experienced any noise from the sunroof. I would consider a GV70, but they are still having some issues with rear differentials making noise and eventually being replaced on both the 2.5 and 3.5 models. They are also still building out their dealer network in my area so most are still being sold in Hyundai showrooms. I would also consider an Outback XT. I know not the same class of vehicle, but I owned 4 Subaru's before my RDX and all provided me a trouble free and low maintenance driving experience. The XT models are still just as fast as the RDX in the straight line so it’s not lacking in any speed.
You wrote, “have experienced any noise from the sunroof”. I assume you meant haven’t?
Old 05-05-2024, 02:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 881 Likes on 674 Posts

Some of us were hoping Acura would offer a RDX S-Type, but that does not seem to be on the drawing board - especially as the RDX is in its 6th year on the 3rd generation. The minor revision/update in 2022 would have been a prime opportunity to build one - but every MFG was focused on bring a EV model to market. Let's hope Acura is working on a 4th generation of the RDX now, and add a sport model (not just a Aspec).
Unfortunately the RDX chassis cannot accommodate a V6 so therefore a Type S model was never possible for this generation (At least not with the 3.0 V6). I do think they could have easily dropped in the beefed up 10AT from the MDX-TLX Type-S models, gave it bembos, gave it adjustable air suspension, and boosted the HP/torque to the 330-340 range and called it a type S. I understand Acura historically only calls Type-S models, models with different engines, but I don't think the average consumer cares. I have been trying to find torque capacity figures for the RDX transmission and can't seem to find anything. I know when the Honda Odyssey came out with the 10AT they stated the max to be 280lb/ft, since then they haven't stated figures for the RDX or MDX/TLX models.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
mrgold35 (05-05-2024), Texasrdx21 (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 03:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For real! Acura gives every car in their lineup a type s variant except the RDX. The ZDX isn't even out yet and it has a type s! I would've even settled for a version with the new type r engine, if the new V6 wouldn't fit (I'm sure it would). Just imagine if the made a type s RDX, with the type r engine and a manual. Would never in a million years happen, but it would be the ultimate daily driver
Old 05-05-2024, 11:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by blAcura85
For real! Acura gives every car in their lineup a type s variant except the RDX. The ZDX isn't even out yet and it has a type s! I would've even settled for a version with the new type r engine, if the new V6 wouldn't fit (I'm sure it would). Just imagine if the made a type s RDX, with the type r engine and a manual. Would never in a million years happen, but it would be the ultimate daily driver
Acura is far too small of a company to offer a manual SUV considering how dismally it would sell. I have to say them making a whole announcement about the return of Type-S around the same time the 3G RDX debuted and then not making a Type-S RDX is wild!
Old 05-06-2024, 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blAcura85
Doubt there is a large enough market for a "manual" transmission these days. However, Acura could easily put some brembo brakes, better suspension (a little lower), upgrade the turbo and intercooler (may be add a mild hybrid to the powertrain) and some real sport seats (kind of like the X3m, Audi SQ5, Genesis GV70 Sport to name a few). The Aspec is just a "cosmetic" option.

As for the ZDX - that's super expensive, uses Cadillac's platform and low on range. Don't see a lot of RDX owners migrating to that in the near future. If the pricing was similar, range was over 340 miles - then that would be enticing.
NBPDC505 (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Doubt there is a large enough market for a "manual" transmission these days. However, Acura could easily put some brembo brakes, better suspension (a little lower), upgrade the turbo and intercooler (may be add a mild hybrid to the powertrain) and some real sport seats (kind of like the X3m, Audi SQ5, Genesis GV70 Sport to name a few). The Aspec is just a "cosmetic" option.

As for the ZDX - that's super expensive, uses Cadillac's platform and low on range. Don't see a lot of RDX owners migrating to that in the near future. If the pricing was similar, range was over 340 miles - then that would be enticing.
This would have also helped a ton in the city fuel economy department.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

Appreciate all the comments pro's and con's about a possible trade. My daughter own a 2023 Q5 which she lets me drive from time to time and it does drive differently in my option because of the size. Cabin size feels smaller although not uncomfortable. Performance is a little less than my RDX but it will move if you put your foot into it. Some comments back it wasn't clear if they hear an occasional pop noise [subiefanIL83]
Old 05-07-2024, 11:09 AM
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...ft3/?context=3

Alex on Autos inadvertently dropped their review of the Crown Signia (it's now been pulled) but there are some notes in this Reddit post. I'm pretty interested in the Crown Signia as a replacement for my RDX but details matter and their pricing in Canada is going to be pretty much head to head with the Platinum Elite trim so not cheap (around $70k all in). It'll be interesting how the value prop plays out in Canada. A loaded CR-V Hybrid would be around $59k (all-in) on one end while something like a X3 PHEV lands around $80-85k all-in (I've seen lightly used demos for as little as $70k all-in).
Old 05-07-2024, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Appreciate all the comments pro's and con's about a possible trade. My daughter own a 2023 Q5 which she lets me drive from time to time and it does drive differently in my option because of the size. Cabin size feels smaller although not uncomfortable. Performance is a little less than my RDX but it will move if you put your foot into it. Some comments back it wasn't clear if they hear an occasional pop noise [[b]subiefanIL83]
Clarification, I have not heard any sunroof noises from my 2023.
23LunarSilverASpec (05-08-2024)