Acura: ZDX News

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009 | 08:52 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
Maybe my memory is crap, but I don't really recall anyone at Honda saying there was a RWD platform under development. It was assumed by many that this is what they were talking about, with the Tier 1 initiative but I don't remember it being mentioned specifically. Or did they only acknowledge it (in a backhanded way) when they canceled it?
The frankensteinesque mule with TSX body panels that was photographed testing about a year to 2 years ago was apparently a RWD platform. At least that's what was agreed upon by comments made on the photos.

Even if it had AWD, the platform was FR based. I think we can assume that it was probably a variation of the platform the proposed NSX was using.

EDIT: Found the pics.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=767141

Last edited by dom; 10-15-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2009 | 08:55 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
They have a great AWD system and a great reputation for quality. Improve on the SHAWD even more to get more power in the back. Roll out a next gen engine and tranny to improve MPG, get the weight distribution more balanced, and improve the interiors a bit more. That would offer something for almost everyone and should help the brand image without scraping the whole thing and developing FR platforms with 500bhp V8 engines
At this point that's all we can hope for, which will follow the Audi model. Full steam ahead.
Old 10-15-2009 | 09:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
The franketsteinesque mule with TSX body panels that was photographed testing about a year to 2 years ago was apparently a RWD platform. At least that's what was agreed upon by comments made on the photos.
So they never actually came out and said, "we're doing RWD?" I remember the frankenmule S2000, but not the TSX. Still have a link? It would be nice to look back (hindsight being 20/20) To a certain extent, I don't really recall them ever confirming the V-8. The V-10 yes but the V-8 was only implied (as I recall).
Old 10-15-2009 | 09:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

So they never actually came out and said, "we're doing RWD?" I remember the frankenmule S2000, but not the TSX. Still have a link? It would be nice to look back (hindsight being 20/20) To a certain extent, I don't really recall them ever confirming the V-8. The V-10 yes but the V-8 was only implied (as I recall).
You also never remembered them 'officially' canceling the NSX. I kid...

But you're right, I can't recall them ever saying RWD either. But rumors, photo's, promises about Teir 1 may have implied it. They certainly never came out and said no RWD, like they recently did.

I added a link to the pics in my previous post.
Old 10-15-2009 | 10:20 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by (Cj)
No. I said that the X6 is in it's own niche not it's own class. Both the X6 and ZDX are midsized luxury sport crossovers. They are only part of a niche within that class.

Tomato Tomatoe.

Infiniti said the same thing about the EX and then when it came out, the largest buying group became families and those families were demanding a bigger back seat, hence the 2010 EX came out with guess what... a bigger backseat. CUVs are for families no matter what marketing material says.

There is a huge difference between the execution of the ZDX and EX. Even you should be able to see that and thats a whole other can of worms.

BTW, still waiting on those links.
Old 10-16-2009 | 01:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Okay, time for more of my random thoughts, so please break out some gains of salt:

1. The ZDX's target demographic probably doesn't use Facebook, let alone take the time to comment on Acura's Facebook. Therefore, I don't think Acura Facebook comments are indicative of the ZDX's prospective customer.

2. BMW has some VERY brand loyal fans. That's one of reasons why those cars sell so well. That's also the reason why it might not be practical for another company to try to beat BMW at their own game, which is one reason why it might not be prudent for Honda to try to create a RWD BMW killer, particularly a 3-series killer.

3. Price does matter. I was considering buying a used X6 several years from now, once the second model year's cars come off lease. However, now that Acura has the ZDX, I might be able to get a new one several years from now (yup, I have to plan in advance nowadays) instead of a used X6. I like used cars, but if a new ZDX is the same as a used X6, why not get something recent? I have a feeling some customers will agree with me, just like some customers have chosen the MDX over the X5.

4. I believe that, despite Acura executives' blathering about "Tier 1," HMC doesn't really care to compete with the likes of BMW or Mercedes. If you look at recent Honda annual reports, they barely even mention Acura. I think Honda cares more about profits than prestige and I think they see milking current platforms as being more profitable than creating brand new ones for the luxury market. I think Honda would much rather spend their R&D money on fuel cell technology and other alternative fuel technologies.

Finally, I look forward to seeing the ZDX in person and maybe doing a test drive. In the meantime, I will enjoy my RL for as long as I can. Next month will mark 3 years without a car payment. Woo hoo!
Old 10-16-2009 | 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
BTW, still waiting on those links.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/2...rear-leg-room/

...the buyers who have been showing up at Infiniti dealers haven't been the kind of people that the company was actually marketing to. Where the advertising for the EX up to this point has been directed towards sedan buyers, and particularly couples or single women, a lot of families are actually looking considering it and, like ourselves, are complaining about the lack of back seat legroom and cargo room.
Do you think Infiniti intended for this to be the result? No. The EX (if you don't remember) was marketed at DINKs also, but DINKs didn't bite, they instead bought G sedans and coupes. DINKs rarely buy crossovers. Even though the EX and ZDX are in different segments, the same basic principal will likely hold true.
Old 10-16-2009 | 10:14 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

lots of DINKs i know own crossovers. they just didn't like this one.
Old 10-16-2009 | 11:26 AM
I'm the Firestarter

DINKs rarely buy crossovers.
Especially ones that almost look like a minivan.
Old 10-16-2009 | 11:28 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
However, now that Acura has the ZDX, I might be able to get a new one several years from now (yup, I have to plan in advance nowadays) instead of a used X6. I like used cars, but if a new ZDX is the same as a used X6, why not get something recent?
Used Acura >>> used BMW
Old 10-16-2009 | 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

I am still that no one is considering the Infiniti FX or Volvo XC60 in these convos. It's like the X6 is the only alternative to the ZDX...

Why would you supplant hideous with ugly...?
Old 10-16-2009 | 01:07 PM
07TL-CBP

I hope 'DINK' is a good word... it sounds bad.
Old 10-16-2009 | 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pokin
I hope 'DINK' is a good word... it sounds bad.
LOL Double Income, No Kids. I believe the RDX was targeted more at this group. Well, Acura outlined a urban professional who leads an active lifestyle. They didn't say if he was married or not. They seem to be positioning the ZDX for 'empty nesters' whose kids are grown and have their own car.
Old 10-16-2009 | 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
lots of DINKs i know own crossovers. they just didn't like this one.
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Especially ones that almost look like a minivan.
Old 10-16-2009 | 03:08 PM
I'm the Firestarter

LOL Double Income, No Kids. I believe the RDX was targeted more at this group. Well, Acura outlined a urban professional who leads an active lifestyle.
Are there any vehicles out there for people who lead a passive, sedentary lifestyle like me? All I see is vehicles for active life styles. When I look around my workplace I think there's a lot of untapped customers out there.
Old 10-16-2009 | 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Are there any vehicles out there for people who lead a passive, sedentary lifestyle like me? All I see is vehicles for active life styles. When I look around my workplace I think there's a lot of untapped customers out there.
LOL Somehow I don't think the "couch potato mobile" would be a big seller. Then again....

or this

Old 10-16-2009 | 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

<--- DINK.
Old 10-16-2009 | 06:00 PM
Pro

There are a lot of SINKs out there too, lol. Including the one in the kitchen........and bathroom...........
Old 10-16-2009 | 07:24 PM
Honda Fanboy

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/2...rear-leg-room/

Do you think Infiniti intended for this to be the result? No. The EX (if you don't remember) was marketed at DINKs also, but DINKs didn't bite, they instead bought G sedans and coupes. DINKs rarely buy crossovers. Even though the EX and ZDX are in different segments, the same basic principal will likely hold true.
You said:
Anyway most "DINKS" don't finance, they lease.
and I am curious where exactly you got this information from. Don't know why you are giving me links regarding the Infiniti EX. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2009 | 09:36 PM
Hello!

LOL Double Income, No Kids. I believe the RDX was targeted more at this group. Well, Acura outlined a urban professional who leads an active lifestyle. They didn't say if he was married or not. They seem to be positioning the ZDX for 'empty nesters' whose kids are grown and have their own car.
Technically its "Dual Income No Kids" not Double....
Old 10-27-2009 | 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Leftlane test drive

First Drive: 2010 Acura ZDX [Review]
10/27/2009, 12:20 PM
By Mark Elias

As a fully grown automaker, Acura has a few SUVs and crossovers on the market already filling needs of various segments and buyers. So, with this complete portfolio, what is an automaker to do? How about announce another: The Acura ZDX.

One school of thought says that as a segment matures, it has the opportunity to become more specific. Another says that good design will carry the segment. And then there is the spaghetti theory: Throw enough stuff at the wall, and eventually something will stick.

Further defining a developing niche
Acura has bypassed all three and helped to develop a new segment: The four-door coupe crossover. A mouthful for certain, but could it be just what the brand needs or is it too little, too late?

One of the sleek new-generation of fastback-designed CUVs, the ZDX joins the BMW X6 as two of a kind in a new niche. They are both of the four-door variety, where the best feature seems to be the ability to stash and retrieve “stuff” from the back seats or cargo area. But that’s where these two rivals split off and take divergent paths in the road.

While BMW goes the way of the sporty family four-seater, Acura claims their new CUV to be for those couples or empty nesters in search of the “passionate getaway,” in marketing-speak. According to Acura, the passionate getaway (which sounds to us like the title of a raunchy late night series on Showtime) is for their new luxury customers who take their active and adventurous lifestyles seriously. Regardless, this vehicle boils down to catering for a party of two – even if there’s enough room for another couple to squeeze in.

The ZDX repackages some of the best features in the Acura lineup: Honda’s bulletproof 3.7-liter V6. Check. The new Acura six-speed automatic transmission with sequential SportShift. Check. Super Handling all-wheel-drive. Check. It’s all there. Acura states the complete package should supply all the oomph for a weekend in the wilderness, complete with twisties through the mountains, all the way down to a round of golf or a cruise through the urban jungle where the ZDX will most likely will feel more at home.

The ZDX as revealed at the New York International Auto Show earlier this year, is the first design to be produced at Acura’s new Design Studio in Torrance, California. Using the firm’s prominent “can-opener” grille and pronounced shoulders, it is one of Acura’s boldest designs to date. It’s all fine and dandy up to the polarizing rear fastback appearance, which presents shortened doors when compared to the front pair of openings. The net result is a somewhat restricted entry and egress for rear seat occupants, not to mention less than friendly accommodations for taller passengers. We do like the clever use of negative space in the black accents on each door to hide the rear door handles.

Inside, the ZDX displays typical Acura (read: excellent) fit and finish with single-needle stitching holding down the leather facing along the dashboard and door panels. A simple layout awaits the driver in the gauge binnacle. With tach and speedo taking the commanding positions, flanked by temp and fuel dials, it is no fuss, no muss. An LCD info screen sits between them to display drive bias, tire pressure monitoring and the like.

The steering wheel features redundant controls for almost everything but the climate dials. Bluetooth, audio, and adaptive cruise control buttons are within reach and far enough out of the way to avoid accidental operation while in the 3 and 9 positions.

An available Integrated Dynamics System is operated by a dial located on the lower part of the center stack. Allowing control of the ride settings, it gives the driver the opportunity to tailor the suspension’s active damper system and speed sensitive steering. A comfort mode minimizes jolts while the sport setting emphasizes crisper handling.

The power of six
The 3.7-liter SOHC V6 produces 300 horsepower and 270 lb-ft. of torque coupled to the aforementioned six-speed automatic. We were impressed with the power and low-end grunt of the combination, and more so, the excellent NVH displayed on the Southern California highways and backroads during the vehicle’s media launch.

The Sequential SportShift six-speed tranny was actually engaging once we got off the main roads. Able to function while in standard drive mode, it reverts to normal operation once it detects cruising speed. Throw the main shift lever to S-mode and you are in row-yourself-mode with levers behind the steering wheel.

The SH-AWD system incorporates torque vectoring, which varies the torque distribution between front and rear, and then left and right wheels to move the power to where sensors feel slippage and allow the rear wheels to run up to 1.7 percent faster than the front set to keep the ZDX stable. And it works, as we saw while rounding the turns on the mountain roads leading up from Malibu. Credit would also go to the front-mounted independent suspension with MacPherson struts, and the multi-link independent suspension with trailing arms out back. Order the Advance package for the beefier stabilizer bars in back.

2+Freedom = ZDX
Acura is touting the “2+Freedom” motto for those who would be interested in a sport-coupe CUV. It’s probably the smart course of action considering that it is an extremely tight fit just getting through the rear doors. Fold down the rear seats, though, to see the ZDX really shine. Back cargo room more than doubles in the up position, from 26.3 cubic feet to 55.8 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. That’s enough for four large golf bags and a couple of changes of clothes, too.

It’s a heavy sucker, weighing in at just shy of 4,500 lbs., which helps pulls down the fuel economy to a rather SUV-like 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway.

Leftlane’s bottom line
The Acura ZDX a very competent vehicle, in typical Honda and Acura fashion, but in defining a niche so specificallyas they have done, we feel they have limited themselves right from the get-go. By saying who the car is for, it turns off those who might otherwise be potential customers as well. It’s not meant to be a volume player – and that might be a bad thing in this volatile market.
Old 10-27-2009 | 03:46 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

@ the leftlane comments about how stupid it is to fold the rear seats down to fit 4 golf bags....when only 2 people can ride in the car with the rear seats folded down.
Old 10-27-2009 | 08:21 PM
Senior Moderator

I disagree with this comment:

It’s not meant to be a volume player – and that might be a bad thing in this volatile market.
I disagree that this is a bad thing. This is a great way for Acura to make a significant profit per vehicle, even at low volume. I would say this is a GOOD thing in a down market.

Still waiting to test-drive one at my local dealer when they arrive. It's coming soon, right?
Old 10-27-2009 | 08:37 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Weeks

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Still waiting to test-drive one at my local dealer when they arrive. It's coming soon, right?
I was @ the dealership last week getting some things done to my new NSX (woo hoo!) & the salesman said that they were getting a test model in a few weeks -- it is not for sale but just for display.
Old 10-28-2009 | 12:03 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by TSX69
I was @ the dealership last week getting some things done to my new NSX (woo hoo!) & the salesman said that they were getting a test model in a few weeks -- it is not for sale but just for display.
Wow, congrats!! Have you posted any pictures yet?
Old 10-28-2009 | 12:08 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I disagree with this comment:

I disagree that this is a bad thing. This is a great way for Acura to make a significant profit per vehicle, even at low volume. I would say this is a GOOD thing in a down market.

I agree with your disagreement Bob (did that make sense?)

Grow the product offering. As long as you are not losing money then it adds exposure to the brand and brings customers into showrooms for potential crossover sales. I think this has been a key problem for teh Acura brand for years. Seems they are trying to fix that finally.

Now dealers just have to figure out where to showroom all these models? A real problem for some I expect.
Old 10-28-2009 | 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Now dealers just have to figure out where to showroom all these models? A real problem for some I expect.
... and in 2010 we'll have the TSX wagon to deal with too.
Old 10-29-2009 | 06:46 AM
Safety Car

Talking

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Wow, congrats!! Have you posted any pictures yet?
I did not want to spend a lot of $$$ on what is essentially going to be a toy that gets barely used (weekends only during the warm months) so I got one that needs some touching up. Once I get it up to snuff (slight repairs, tinting ...) I will have pictures.
Old 10-30-2009 | 09:08 AM
Needs to clean up

I think there is Motorweek episode today which features the ZDX. Since I haven't seen any ads on it yet, this would be probably the first onscreen apearance of ZDX.
Old 10-30-2009 | 01:26 PM
Go Big Blue!

... and in 2010 we'll have the TSX wagon to deal with too.
True, and get one more completely different model, such as a roadster (ala s2000), and the brand might finally be approaching critical mass. First time really since it's inception.
Old 10-30-2009 | 05:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sr4dt
I think there is Motorweek episode today which features the ZDX. Since I haven't seen any ads on it yet, this would be probably the first onscreen apearance of ZDX.
I saw that episode last weekend on PBS, here in the NYC metro area.
Old 10-30-2009 | 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

True, and get one more completely different model, such as a roadster (ala s2000), and the brand might finally be approaching critical mass. First time really since it's inception.
At the dealer meeting, they suggested that there will be a sub-TSX vehicle in our future. I could see this built on the next gen Global Small Chassis or maybe even the Insight chassis. I'm thinking they want a hybrid in our lineup. I know there is a desire to get some coupes back in the lineup, I suppose the discussion is how to build it.
Old 10-31-2009 | 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

I just read the December 2009 Motor Trend. The Subaru Outback is SUV of the year, but the ZDX was basically in second place. I'll have to scan the article at some point, but the car nuts at MT REALLY liked it, exterior styling and all.

The last paragraph pretty much says it all:

Besides this year's champ, the ZDX was the only vehicle to receive a first place vote. Sure, it didn't receive enough nods to win, but that doesn't mean it's not a winner.
Will definitely have to test drive it to see if Acura has a closet winner on its hands.
Old 10-31-2009 | 07:51 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by sr4dt
They were pretty positive about it in the review. They basically said it's an X6 for 10K less - sort of what Acura was going for.

You need a certain volume to make up for all the R&D costs. The dealers might be making money on most RL sales but I have a feeling, overall, Honda is losing money on the RL at current sales levels. The same could turn out to be true with the ZDX. The dealer will make money, but for Honda it will all depend on volume.
Old 11-01-2009 | 05:27 AM
I'm the Firestarter

At the dealer meeting, they suggested that there will be a sub-TSX vehicle in our future. I could see this built on the next gen Global Small Chassis or maybe even the Insight chassis. I'm thinking they want a hybrid in our lineup. I know there is a desire to get some coupes back in the lineup, I suppose the discussion is how to build it.
They'll import the CSX?
Old 11-01-2009 | 08:29 AM
Racer

They'll import the CSX?
God, I hope not. That would be a terrible mistake.
Old 11-01-2009 | 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ not the first though
Old 11-01-2009 | 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

They'll import the CSX?
There was nothing to indicate that. They just said a smaller than TSX car is all. Don't forget, the Civic gets revved (supposedly) in 2012. They could build a totally unique car off the chassis if they wanted to. They could mix subframes in a different way? There are a lot of options without going the CSX route.
Old 11-01-2009 | 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

There was nothing to indicate that. They just said a smaller than TSX car is all. Don't forget, the Civic gets revved (supposedly) in 2012. They could build a totally unique car off the chassis if they wanted to. They could mix subframes in a different way? There are a lot of options without going the CSX route.
If this new smaller Acura is coming anytime before 2012, I would guess it would be on the "newer" Fit platform

Maybe a Mini competitor? That wouldn't be too bad and it wouldn't bring the brand too far down, especially since, Lexus and Audi are considering bringing smaller cheaper hatches to the US (LF-Ch and A1 specifically).

If Acura can somehow fit a K24 engine into a vehicle on the Fit platform, that could be a winner. It would be more along the lines of the A3 than the Mini, though. Another option is for Acura to import the Euro Civic hatch, but I'm doubtful they would do that because of price.
Old 11-01-2009 | 05:36 PM
Honda Fanboy

Maybe a luxury CR-Z type vehicle with a backseat. Hybrid-sport.

Quick Reply: Acura: ZDX News