Acura: TLX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, so know that we have interior shots what can we make out. Do any of you have any ideas as to what the two buttons are on the left side of the steering wheel (not the talk and back buttons)? Also, does the car have auto wipers like the MDX

Next, what about auto on/off head lights and has anyone figured out whether or not the car has pwr tilt and telescoping steering wheel?
Old 07-26-2003, 12:58 AM
has been here awhile

Talking LONG POST! HE HE HE

Hello-

Well, I'm going to say it again: this new TL is AWESOME! The exterior is clean and bold--those wheel flares are nicely molded and the crease down the side gives the car some character. It looks like Acura took the concept and sent it straight in for production--it looks exactly like the concept. Yeah, the tires and rims may be a little small (along with wheel arches) but if nobody mentioned it, I wouldn't have said anything

The interior--INCREDIBLE. It's layout is nice (yes, from the TSX--this is called family resemblance ) Yes, it is button rich, but it adds a "wow" factor. Acura needs their cars to impress people (if they want to be respected more), and a relatviely empty dash doesn't help out. I think we'll have wait to see if all of these buttons help or hinder Acura ergonomics at all. While some may not like the busy design, I think we all know that it promises a vehicle with TONS of gadgets and gizmos to play with (WOO HOO ) I also noticed all of the little details from the interior shots--up to European levels. See the chrome rings around the speakers? How about the brushed aluminum buttons? And how about that guage cluster? Looks like Acura has realized "it's all in the details".

And the thing is, this is what I have noticed from a few pictures--I can't wait to experience the car. Acura has another hit! This car has presence and I think this is just the thing Acura needs to help their image. GO ACURA!!!

SPUDMTN
Old 07-26-2003, 01:32 AM
Race Director

ok I got some stupid questions,

What exactly is pwr tilt and telescoping steering wheel?

Why did Acura decide to change the Moonroof controls, to top, I thought Honda/Acura was diff in that they were by the steering wheel, I mean they are known for that so why did they change it, any reasons?

Also I guess the Side Mirrors dont have indiators on them like the TSX, But someone mentioned they are on some quarter panel or something, I didn't understand that, like is it on the body or is it hidden on the Mirror?
Old 07-26-2003, 01:38 AM
More On

Originally posted by 2004TL
....What exactly is pwr tilt and telescoping steering wheel?.....
Don't know about the others, but about this one:

Never seen it, but it must be analogous to power-seat controls as opposed to the traditional "manual-brute-force" way of adjusting front seats.

You know how you can adjust the position of some/most/all steering wheels by pulling this latch and moving the wheel to where you want it? And how some (like on the TSX) also have the "telescoping" feature where you can even pull it out or push it in, too, to position it closer or further? Well, the "power" thing must be that you can do it all electrically by pressing a button(s). The advantages, as with power seats, are that not only can you do it easier, but you can also do it much more precisely than the "regular" way.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:56 AM
has been here awhile

...Also I guess the Side Mirrors dont have indiators on them like the TSX, But someone mentioned they are on some quarter panel or something, I didn't understand that, like is it on the body or is it hidden on the Mirror?
Hello-

Side mirrrors do not have indicators--they're on the side of the car itself, along the crease (look for the yellow lensed one). To explain quarter panel--divide the vehicle into four even parts. The front quarter panels would be the left and right front sides (think from back of front door forward--or so that's how I understand it.) Someone correct me if I'm wrong--that's just my understanding and it's worked for me so far

SPUDMTN
Old 07-26-2003, 01:58 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by larchmont
Don't know about the others, but about this one:

Never seen it, but it must be analogous to power-seat controls as opposed to the traditional "manual-brute-force" way of adjusting front seats.

You know how you can adjust the position of some/most/all steering wheels by pulling this latch and moving the wheel to where you want it? And how some (like on the TSX) also have the "telescoping" feature where you can even pull it out or push it in, too, to position it closer or further? Well, the "power" thing must be that you can do it all electrically by pressing a button(s). The advantages, as with power seats, are that not only can you do it easier, but you can also do it much more precisely than the "regular" way.
Doesn't the RL have that power steering wheel thing?

Like when u enter the car it goes up and goes down when u start the car, I THINK thats cool, I wish the TL has it
Old 07-26-2003, 02:08 AM
has been here awhile

Doesn't the RL have that power steering wheel thing?

Like when u enter the car it goes up and goes down when u start the car, I THINK thats cool, I wish the TL has it
Yup, RL has this feature. It's tied into the memory, too. When you jump in the seat, you press your memory position and the seat and mirrors move into position. It's not until you put the key in the ignition that the steering wheel smoothly glides into position. When you're done driving and you take the key out of the ignition, the steering wheel politely glides out of your way to its highest and furthest-away position. It's a nice feature...

If you don't want the steering wheel to move out of the way for you, you can disable the feature by the flip of a switch next to the adjustment joystick.

SPUDMTN
Old 07-26-2003, 02:50 AM
Instructor

Why did Acura decide to change the Moonroof controls, to top, I thought Honda/Acura was diff in that they were by the steering wheel, I mean they are known for that so why did they change it, any reasons?
Because that has been a minor complaint of acura/honda owners for a long time. The VW-like system of controlling the moonroof from the top is better for a number of reasons, the main one being that both passengers and drivers have easy access.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:52 AM
More On

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
Yup, RL has this feature. It's tied into the memory, too. When you jump in the seat, you press your memory position and the seat and mirrors move into position. It's not until you put the key in the ignition that the steering wheel smoothly glides into position. When you're done driving and you take the key out of the ignition, the steering wheel politely glides out of your way to its highest and furthest-away position. It's a nice feature...

If you don't want the steering wheel to move out of the way for you, you can disable the feature by the flip of a switch next to the adjustment joystick.....
Almost off the subject, except that it does have to do with "unmasking." Besides, I know that SPUD is lurking by right now, and hardly anyone else is, so nobody'll care.

Hey SPUD, how do you know so much about cars? (For the uninitiated, I should mention that this dude is about 16.) Just wondering. You really know a lot, and express it well, and have great insight. (Not to mention some helluva acquaintances.) I know you'll put it all to great use someday too -- hell, you do already.

So -- what's the story?
Old 07-26-2003, 04:41 AM
Instructor

eh... i don't like it... my reasons? too big, looks like its trying to be the next Terminator movie car... looks like its trying to be too futuristic, interior looks like a TSX with a couple buttons added here and there.. steering wheel looks like a macho man's chest.. wheels are too small.. honestly.. it still looks boring... ill stick to my TSX. but hey thats just my opinions.. want to hear the good stuff i like about it? it looks like a TSX. im out, late
Old 07-26-2003, 04:42 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by James
eh... i don't like it... my reasons? too big, looks like its trying to be the next Terminator movie car... looks like its trying to be too futuristic, interior looks like a TSX with a couple buttons added here and there.. steering wheel looks like a macho man's chest.. wheels are too small.. honestly.. it still looks boring... ill stick to my TSX. but hey thats just my opinions.. want to hear the good stuff i like about it? it looks like a TSX. im out, late
correction** it KEEPS the TSX theme, not looks like a TSX although it somewhat does.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:56 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I'll be the only one to say it... I liked the old TL better. If it had a 6 speed on that old one I'd be all over it...

the new TL looks so much like the TSX. I really hope that Acura doesn't go like Audi and make all their cars from bottom to top look exactly the same. It adds no flavor to the lineup. Same goes for BMW and Mercedes. Where's the originality between the models?

The car definitely looks more solid and sporty. I'm glad they shortened it a bit or at least it looks shorter than it used to. I wish my CL would lose a few inches in the rear end.

There's nothing to say about the interior but that's it's beautifully done. Gotta love the huge navi screen. I wonder how the numbers stack up so far as interior space goes compared to the older models. It just looks smaller in the pictures maybe. Oh and what happened to the perfed seats?

Hopefully it's not too rediculously priced. I read somewhere that they'd be upwards of 35K. Hopefully worth the extra 5K. We'll see when the performance #s come around.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:32 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

if it has only the CLS engine + 10 fake HP that would blows. if it weight 3800 lbs that sucks...
Old 07-26-2003, 05:52 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by fdl
So can anyone tell from that interior pic if the seq shifting is on the steering wheel or not?

I can tell you that I see a gate very similar to the TSX where you have only the option of D5 and D3 and the + and - is to the left of D5's position.

They're removing the ability to gate shift every gear.

And there are a LOT of styling cues from the TSX and RL in there.

And there is a real E-brake now... although it looks terrible near the base end of it.

I'm really underwhelmed by the overall car. It looks tiny, also, unless that dickhead in the suit who ruined a couple of those spy shots is a giant.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:54 AM
Old timer

Go look at an 04 RL (or just about any recent RL model year) - it has power tilt and telescoping on the steering wheel.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:04 AM
Old timer

As long as it doesn't have on-star I'll be happy. :P

Also I think it's supposed to have Dolby Digital/DTS sound so maybe that's what the center speaker is for (that area over the center dash display.)
Old 07-26-2003, 06:06 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by TypeSKid
wow wow wow wow!

I love it. I want one. It fits what I want, FINALLY!

IT KILLS THE G35, and anything else that I can think if that it will compete with.

I love the roof pillars. They are so smooth looking. Like where it goes from the hood to the roof.

Sweet styling.

When will they be out @ dealerships? anyone know?
Oct 1st in showrooms.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:08 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by kurt_bradley
Something tells me those controls are for the Bluetooth functions. Just a hunch. You have to put the buttons somewhere if your car has Bluetooth capabilities.
I'm not exactly sure what bluetooth capability really means for a car. I know what bluetooth is - basically wireless Internet accesss, but I don't see whatever buttons you're talking about.

I see the buttons for navi voice-commands on the lower left of the steering column and I see the dual-zone climate controls to each side of the navi, and the navi's control buttons below the navi.

Old 07-26-2003, 06:09 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Who is going to buy the 03 RL after the new TL is released.. That would be really stupid. this TL outclass the current RL!
You mean the 04 RL, which is what is out now. And no one, because the 05 is going to be a complete redesign which should finally return it to a level that competes with its competition instead of it's old school 3.5L non-VTEC engine and six-year-old exterior design.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:55 AM
Pro

Originally posted by JRock
As long as it doesn't have on-star I'll be happy. :P

Also I think it's supposed to have Dolby Digital/DTS sound so maybe that's what the center speaker is for (that area over the center dash display.)
Why?? Maybe you were kidding. (?)

I personally feel On-Star is a great feature. If you're in an accident, but you are incapacitated an On-Star operator will dispatch Police/Paramedics to your location.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:01 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
onstar saved my friends dad's life...so don't underestimate it

personally, wait till u guys see the new TL in black IMO...also acuras biggest prob was that they introduced the TSX before the TL, now everyone and their mother thinks the TL is based on the tsx instead of the other way around....this new TL has been in the works for almost 2years now
Old 07-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Pro

Originally posted by civic4982
I guess I'll be the only one to say it... I liked the old TL better. If it had a 6 speed on that old one I'd be all over it...

the new TL looks so much like the TSX. I really hope that Acura doesn't go like Audi and make all their cars from bottom to top look exactly the same. It adds no flavor to the lineup. Same goes for BMW and Mercedes. Where's the originality between the models?

The car definitely looks more solid and sporty. I'm glad they shortened it a bit or at least it looks shorter than it used to. I wish my CL would lose a few inches in the rear end.

There's nothing to say about the interior but that's it's beautifully done. Gotta love the huge navi screen. I wonder how the numbers stack up so far as interior space goes compared to the older models. It just looks smaller in the pictures maybe. Oh and what happened to the perfed seats?

Hopefully it's not too rediculously priced. I read somewhere that they'd be upwards of 35K. Hopefully worth the extra 5K. We'll see when the performance #s come around.
In some pics it looks like the leather is perforated, but it's hard to tell because some of the pics have been "enhanced" for color and contrast.

On a side note......I really like the styling of the car and I hate to sound like a pessimist, but if it's priced more that 34k for the non-Nav and 36k for the Nav and a couple thousand more for the HPT package I'm really not sure if I'd buy it. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself and will have to drive the vehicle to know anything for sure. It was rumored for awhile by some people who are supposedy "in the know" on this board, that the next TL would be worth the wait, something truly special and awe inspiring. AWD was all but confirmed, HP was going to be at least 280, etc. Now it seems more and more to be just an evolution of the current TL-S performance wise with additional luxury features thrown in. Therefore I would expect a 2-3K price increase over the current TL-S. Anymore than that and Acura is getting greedy.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by JRock
I can tell you that I see a gate very similar to the TSX where you have only the option of D5 and D3 and the + and - is to the left of D5's position.

They're removing the ability to gate shift every gear.
Why would you want to?
Old 07-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

I think the interior looks great. IMHO, you cannot have too many buttons.

Questions still not answered:

Does it have ventilated seats?
Does it have rear parking assist or backup camera?
Does it have an intelligent key system?
Does it have adaptive cruise control?
What, exactly comes with the HPT option?
Does it have rain sensing wipers?
Can you put the windows down with the keyless entry?
Do the rear windows still go all the way down? (small rear door)
Will the HPT option have exhaust outlets that fill the cut outs?
Does the car have power tilt/telescopic wheel?

Anything else? (excluding price, HP, etc)
Old 07-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

BTW bowerson, it is camel leather not carmel for interior colou choice
Old 07-26-2003, 10:21 AM
"But they're mine!"

power fold in mirrors, auto leveling for the xenons
Old 07-26-2003, 10:33 AM
Pro

I'd like to see a pwr rear window sun shade like oh almost everything else out there with exception to the G35.

Also as I've said what about my auto headlights!!!!! If this has been answered please excuse me.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:41 AM
"But they're mine!"

JFYI --- You can buy headlight controls like that here:

http://www.caraccessories.com/electronics_entry.asp
Old 07-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Pro

Originally posted by ProZach
JFYI --- You can buy headlight controls like that here:

http://www.caraccessories.com/electronics_entry.asp
Interesting. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:34 AM
has been here awhile

Almost off the subject, except that it does have to do with "unmasking." Besides, I know that SPUD is lurking by right now, and hardly anyone else is, so nobody'll care.

Hey SPUD, how do you know so much about cars? (For the uninitiated, I should mention that this dude is about 16.) Just wondering. You really know a lot, and express it well, and have great insight. (Not to mention some helluva acquaintances.) I know you'll put it all to great use someday too -- hell, you do already.

So -- what's the story?
Okay...well...as to the knowledge about the RL electronic steering wheel, look at my avatar. That's not a photo off of the internet. (understand what I'm getting to?)

Anyway, as for general car knowledge--well, I guess it's all because of interest. I get all three big car magazines monthly (Automobile, Car and Driver, Motor Trend) and I constantly search the web for cars (besides that, I pay close attention to Acura-TSX.com ) I guess interest is the fuel for my knowledge in the area of automobiles. I guess more specifically, I pay attention to the higher-end/luxury makes. Anyway, thank you for the compliment Hope I don't get too annoying on here

SPUDMTN

PS--I'm 17 now
Old 07-26-2003, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SPUDMTN
PS--I'm 17 now
me too
Old 07-26-2003, 11:56 AM
7th Gear

That makes three
Old 07-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Something is fishY

Like someone else said, how did they just leave a secret car like that in front of the road?

Maybe Lycos knows something and he is not telling us?

Maybe Acura Promised him a FREE 2004 TL to keep his mouth shut..

You know he could have taken these pics and blackmailed ACURA and made like couple million
Lycos works for AHM, they had him post these pics because they knew we were dying over here . Also, they wanted to get our initial reaction in case there is anything to tweak right before large-scale production. Why else was he allowed to get so close to the car, including one shot virtually inside the car, with all those guys standing around. And notice the images are different sizes, and purposefully low-res so we can't make out too many (interior) details. Just a thought to put away with all my other conspiracy theories, but I don't think I believe what I just said. Lycos seems geniune, although he does seem to have disappeared...
Old 07-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Suzuka Master

It looks pretty good IMO. Interior is excellent. Seems like a few too many buttons, but I guess that's not bad. I wonder what the non-navi interior looks like. I wonder what they'll do where the screen is.

Wheels look too small, but overall a step in the right direction by Acura IMO
Old 07-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Racer

You mean it's on the passenger side??? How do you work it over there? Why would it be there?

(They say I ask a lot of questions but it's not true.)
My Sol has the handbrake on the passenger side, as well as my sister's Prelude and the old 85 Accord I used to drive. It works. It's not awkward to operate or anything. To me it'd feel weird if it was right next to my thigh...
Old 07-26-2003, 12:27 PM
More On

Originally posted by jt_02
That makes three
17, huh?

These dudes are gonna be dangerous.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:28 PM
More On

Originally posted by unsure
onstar saved my friends dad's life...so don't underestimate it.....
Yeah. What I don't understand it why so many people hate it. Don't get me wrong -- I had it on my TL-S and I never did understand it, but why hate it? (Is it just the extra cost?)
Old 07-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Gebbeth
I don't think the buttons on the steering wheel are shifter buttons. Would a car with a auto/manual shift function have the up and downshift controls on both the steering wheen and the shifter gate? Don't know about that one (see the photos of the interior at the shifter....I think I see the + - shifter pattern in the shifter gate). That means those small button on the steering wheel must be for something else.

Opinions?
Yes many cars have this esp. europeon . germans italians...

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Ooh, I did not notice that.

If we are lucky, that is for parking assist!
If it was parking assitance it would have to be all over the front bumper.that is for the tow hook.

A wheel that is controled by a knob which u can move forward, backward, up and down. usually ties w/ memory.

as for my opinon. this car looks JUST LIke a TSX in the front. if you glance quick you might even have a hard time noticing its a tsx. i mean TL .

I love how the navi screen is just HUGE!! imagine navi-dvd on that thing.

Also the mirrors look like power folding mirrors. and the car deff needs 18 standard and 19 optional.

hands down to acura if they can get the drive train right. AWD atleast....
Old 07-26-2003, 12:44 PM
"But they're mine!"

Originally posted by jt_02
That makes three
Four
Old 07-26-2003, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Ok this is for all you people who say the Tsx and TL lokk alike. They do. But tell me why does almost every front end on a caddy look the same? I dont here people complaining about that. It looks the same because they did it on purpose. A lot of cars share similarites with its fellow cars by the same company. Big DEAL we know it looks alike and i personally like it. Seeing these new cars give a tremendous amount of hope to the new RL. You can almost come up with a self rendered drawing of it. Everyone wanted a change in style from AMH, now they do it and people are complaining. Damn, There is just no pleasing some people

Quick Reply: Acura: TLX News