Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 842 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
OK...but mainstream generally means cars in mass production.
my bad

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Ford has had this on many of their vehicles for quite some time.
That's what I thought too. Certainly an useful feature

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The 4G TL disaster is nothing when compared to the 2G RL disaster.
I'm one of few people who really liked the 2G RL back then....lol.....
Old 12-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Yes. Except A6, 535I and GS got the "name brand" to back them up, so regardless what they look like or how shitty their performance are, they will sell.

Acura/RLX does not have that option, so Acura needs to be MUCH better cars inside and outside just to be able to compete.
True, those brands do have more prestige associated with them than Acura does. One thing people seem to forget though, is outside of the echo chamber that can be the car sites/forums sometimes, Acura does have a decent amount of prestige left with the non-enthusiast car buying public. Sure, it's not on the same level as Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc, but it still exists and if Acura makes cars that are even on par with the competition at lower prices, the sales will come back. That's always been their game, and they need to get back to doing just that.

Look, I'm not trying to say the RLX will outsell the competition, but if the pricing is right, the product actually stands a better shot than the RL did. The one thing Acura needs to be very careful of though is how they throw around the word flagship. If they're honest and say the A6, 5 Series, GS, etc are the target for the RLX they'll be much better off than throwing around the "Flagship" word and having the car compared to the 7 Series, A8, LS, etc of the world.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
The other big problem with Acura...in some ways even bigger than their odd decisions with their line up and styling...and thats their marketing.

Their marketing has pretty much always sucked...I do think their commercials of late have been better...but they are really going to have up their game in that department to help themselves.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
jwong77 (12-04-2012), Ken1997TL (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,394 Likes on 4,939 Posts
The other big problem with Acura...in some ways even bigger than their odd decisions with their line up and styling...and thats their marketing.

Their marketing has pretty much always sucked...I do think their commercials of late have been better...but they are really going to have up their game in that department to help themselves.
The latest Christmas commercials are decent, but their commercials are typically forgettable.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
^ what do you mean girlfriend?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Agreed on the poor marketing. The fact that most of their taglines are fairly forgettable is a major problem. I think if you look at the two of the most successful brands (BMW, and Lexus). They've pretty much stuck to the same message for the better part of 20 years or more. Most folks have heard of the "Ultimate Driving Machine", and the "Pursuit of Perfection". They are both messages that resonate with consumers, and again the consistency in the message is a real big deal.

Acura at one time had a pretty good tagline, "Precision Crafted Performance". But then they went away from the performance theme to something else that I can't remember, and the latest is Advanced which just doesn't resonate as well. But the big deal is the lack of consistency in the message. This sort of reflects on the product as they've gone from performance oriented to luxury to somewhere in between.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
I kind of dig the Suze Orman - TL commercial that's currently airing.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Acura marketing has a long legacy of missing the mark.

Boring, ood, and sometimes downright goofy commercials.
Some of which remind me of the old JOE ISUZU commercials...almost a complete joke of a commercial campaign.

The Acura commercials for Christmas with various B list celebrities doing goofy stuff, is somehow supposed to make the consumer lust after your near lux vehicle line-up?!?!

Who comes up with this , and more importantly who at Honda is green lighting this agency for these concepts?!?!

By far BMW, and Lexus are the high water marks for how to advertise a vehicle.
Acura needs to at least get somewhere near that kind of advertising.

Acura: Try to figure out a way to sell the customer "presence" and "prestige" first and foremost, then sell them on your great tech. Selling the customer Bette Midler....yea....not so much.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
There is nothing bland about RLX. I am sure under Honda it will have different grills and modulo can also create grills. grill is not a expensive item that cannot be replaced.
Didn't know Honda and Modulo made grills. Are they propane, charcoal, or nat gas?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Didn't know Honda and Modulo made grills. Are they propane, charcoal, or nat gas?
Natural gas. The FCX is of course, hydrogen.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by Allen-
The more I look at the RLX and read up about it I'm pretty happy with Acura and Honda for the outcome.
<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>
Everyone is so quick to piss on the parade, and I'm not so sure it's not deserved since H/A have been pretty retarded and lazy these last few years. <o:p></o:p>

But starting with the appearance, while I do think it is probably the blandest to come out of the design center of recent, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Everyone is quick to compare it to the 3G TL. Until the Type-S, I thought the TL was a pretty bland looking car as well. There really isn't anything crazy about it, that's where the appeal comes from. The 3G was a clean, understated design with a good overall balance and a uniform look from front to back. The 3G didn't sell based on looks alone. It sold more on pricing compared to the competition than appearance.
<o:p></o:p>
While bland, I don't think the RLX looks bad, per say. I know some still hate the grille, you can't please everyone and I'm sure it will still be a dealbreaker for some, but the rest of the car is clean. The front overhang isn't massive (seems like everyone gets in a rage about that), the roofline smooth and clean, the rear end doesn't look out of place and matches the front, design-wise. The wheels are simple to match the rest of the car.
I'm just happy the car looks balanced and understated rather than "aggressive" and polarizing. Remember the last time Acura tried to create an "aggressive" sedan? 4G TL?
And Jesus, what's with all the "it looks like an Accord" comments. Acura and Honda have always looked similar. The 3G TL, to me, doesn't look too far from a 2007 Accord. Similar window lines, 5 point grill, boring lower front fascias, etc. Sure the TL has a more executed design, (better exhaust tips, sculpted rear taillights, etc.) but the blueprint's overall aren't far from each other.
What new Volkswagen sedan doesn't look like an Audi, sans huge front grille? I don't think majority of buyers are steering clear of Audi because it looks like a Volkswagen.
I realize Acura doesn't have the brand image or prestige like other luxury sedans but a company can't just demand that overnight. It takes time, and with Acura having slid down the charts the last few years, it will take time to get some of the lost pride back.
Furthermore, with the exception of those companies known for excellent design, (Jaguar, Maserati, & Mercedes until as of late come to mind) bigger sedans are harder to design. The more metal you have the more spread out design elements are going to be, thus a lot of flat, smooth metal. Smaller to mid-size sedans are easier to coordinate creases as the design elements can easily run into one another, front to back. If the RLX didn't have that sweeping crease from the over the front wheel it would appear pretty slab-sided from the side.
Everyone is getting so butt hurt over Acura calling it a flagship. Yeah it's sad that Acura calls it that because it doesn't really qualify as "flagship" status among other luxury brands, but it's only referred to that because there's nothing above it in price at the moment. Everyone calm down, no one is going to kidnap your kids because the RLX doesn't square up to an S600. <o:p></o:p>
As far as performance, I'm thrilled Acura is getting the chance to exercise some brand firsts like the AWS, DCT, hybrid all-wheel drive. Seems like everyone is pissed because the base model RLX is boring. Duh it is. It's the base model.
No one here (automotive enthusiasts) would choose the base model FWD A6 over an S6.
Acura has halted the RL redesign so many times it's no surprise it took 27,000 years to get a replacement to market. So many directional changes and some priorities are bound to get shifted. Everyone gets so focused on the details we lose the big picture.
Be glad Acura is making SOME progress in the right direction towards more luxurious, fun to drive, cars. I doubt the RLX is going to be as good as it gets, give the company some time to get things going. They've got a direction now, the real R&D will start to show soon enough. The company can't just throw out an amazing world-beater with one redesign since they've been resting on laurels for so long.
As far as the car's success goes, pricing and marketing will tell the tale. As much as I love Acura I sadly have a feeling (ILX pricing) they will command too much of a premium for it.<o:p></o:p>
well written. Good to read some objective critiques in this thread.

Originally Posted by iforyou

I'm one of few people who really liked the 2G RL back then....lol.....
I also really like the 2G RL especially the pre-MMC styling, only flaw is poor fuel economy.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yes, 2G RL pre-MMC. I was thinking about getting a white one, and put the Amuse or Mugen kit on it with some JDM badging....but then I bought a house lol...so...no $$ for that....
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
By far BMW, and Lexus are the high water marks for how to advertise a vehicle.
Acura needs to at least get somewhere near that kind of advertising.
What I don't get is, Acura had a few of those commercials, but they never really made it on TV. They made one for the TSX, the TL and MDX that showcased the cars well and showed why you should choose an Acura over the competition. For whatever reason though, after they were filmed and showcased online, I have yet to see them on TV.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by EhkoXC
What I don't get is, Acura had a few of those commercials, but they never really made it on TV. They made one for the TSX, the TL and MDX that showcased the cars well and showed why you should choose an Acura over the competition. For whatever reason though, after they were filmed and showcased online, I have yet to see them on TV.
Thats sort of my point. Its not enough to have some good commercials, you really need to have a consistent message, like BMW and Lexus have had for a long time. They had that a long time ago with Precision Crafted Performance, then went away from it.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Acura obviously chose a more conservative design approach for the RLX following what happened to the 4G TL and ZDX. That's perfectly understandable
Too bad they went from one end of the spectrum (radical yet obnoxious designs) back to the other end (boring designs) .

Itsa me....boooooring car!

Those tail lights look HUGE.

Originally Posted by jnc2000
As previously stated, the market will do what it does best with this car.
Ignore it?

Originally Posted by EhkoXC
The exterior is a bit on the bland side, but it's inoffensive and I don't think looks will turn anyone away. But, by the same token, looks also probably won't bring anyone into the showroom.

From what I can see from the pics (need to see it in person at LA Auto Show), the only thing they got right was the interior, minus the center stack.

Last edited by AZuser; 12-04-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Post Pix

Legend2TL (01-13-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Looks good in that side profile.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Side shot confirms again how big the rear door is, I hope they did not sacrifice the driver space.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,394 Likes on 4,939 Posts
Im liking it in those press shots. I dont think its enough to make the car relevant though.
ttribe (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
^ +1
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Looks good
Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Hope there are other choices in wheels too.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Although the profile appears to have styling cues from the new Accord sedan and E60, it's a profile that I could live with. Generally speaking though, it looks to be the safe route and given Acura's failed styling attempts with the 4G TL and KB2, I totally understand the gun shyness.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Those gawdawful wheels! Please, a proper 5-spoke or 10-spoke set, tastefully done.

Otherwise, on the new shots.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

I really didn't care for the exterior design of the car until I saw this pic. It really looks good here. I still don't like the taillights, though. Guess I'll wait for them to show up in stores, but man, I really like the looks of this shot. Not a big fan of the other profile pic TSX69 posted, however. It emphasizes what I don't like about the car - too much of too many disjointed things going on.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Meh, it is a decent looking car. Much better than the current RL it replaces. It is however on the plain side. For the Japanese brands it looks better than the newly designed GS and the current Infiniti M. However it lags behind all of the premium Euro brands; 5>A6>E>>>RLX>GS>M.

The Japanese luxury brand designs have deteriorated over the model change. The change from generation to generation is just too drastic and not for the better.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Front and side looks decent. Rear is bad.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

That looks pretty good. Now bring on a CC version of this.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I sat in one today for the first time. WOW, the interior is very, very nice. The quality/feel is stellar and on par with anything the Germans have to offer.

Not head over heels for the exterior styling and am not in the market for a car in this weight class, but if I was, it would be on my comparison list.

Depending on where the pricing comes in, I would be hard pressed to choose this over say, an S6. If the fullly pimped AWD version is 55~ish it will be an outstanding value.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^^ Yea, but you own a TL......so you vision is a bit "off". :wink:
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
I feel the need...

^^^ Yea, but you own a TL......so you vision is a bit "off". :wink:
Yo Money, I took the ugly discount all the way to the bank baby.
jwong77 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,967 Likes on 2,645 Posts
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
I feel the need...

TL bashing got old, like...three years ago. Sure, it doesn't represent Honda's high water mark stylistically, but you can't argue against its safety, quality, value and driveability with the SH-AWD.

And really, there aren't many choices in that class if you want a 6MT and I wasn't willing to risk the crappy residual and suspect reliability of an out of warranty Audi S4.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
If the fullly pimped AWD version is 55~ish it will be an outstanding value.
Add about 10k would be my guess.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1125958

This thing is DOA IMO.....
Old 01-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
MSRP Pricing for the RLX:

Wow - I wonder what the Advanced package brings with it that it requires a >$10K bump over the base model?

I've got to imagine that dealers will be cutting these prices a lot because they sound way too high.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:55 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

At first glance, the pricing seems to be on the high side. USD$48k for a FWD Honda...not too sure about that really. Sure it's quite nice looking but it also doesn't really stand out. If you don't have the brand image nor the positive visual impact, it's hard to ask people to fork out that amount of money IMO.

Some comparison numbers (base prices):
A6 FWD 2.0T: $42k
528i $48k
M37: $48.7k
E350: $51.5k
GS350: $47k

I really wonder how much the AWD model will start at.

Some comparison numbers for hybrid models (base prices):
GS450h: $59.5k
ActiveHybrid 5: $61.5k
M hybrid: $55k
E400 hybrid: $56.7k

Hopefully the premium of the AWD trim isn't too high....
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I see another 5 years of poor sales.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Wow....clearly Honda is still addicted to the good stuff they have been smoking for almost a decade now. Sadly they cannot put down the pipe.

That's crazy $$$ for this car.

Might as well start now with the do-over RLX for 2018.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
^ sadly +1
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Acura is giving too much credit to luxury car buyers and is over-estimating how smart most of these people are. Even though the base RLX at $48k will most likely come loaded with fancy technologies, features, better materials, improved fit/finish and all that stuff, most luxury car buyers will not see them. As soon as they see the conservative styling, brand name, drivetrain, and price tag, they will look elsewhere. We have seen that with the RL. Sure the RLX is improved in pretty much every area, but without a radical styling that looks extremely good, the car cannot even attract anyone to the showroom.
dom (01-15-2013)

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News