Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 5,920 Likes on 2,918 Posts
The XTS is, arguably, the least desirable car in the Cadillac lineup. I'm not sure winning a comparo with said car is all that much to write home about.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Yea, because soooooo many cadi xts and RL owners are going to be buying the cars because of how fast they are above 100 (they also compared the awd version of the caddy vs a fwd acura )

And you do realize Brembos (BBK's) arent designed to stop the car faster (that has more to do with the tires) what they will do is stop the car repeatedly with far less fade

Despite better 0-100 times and better mpg, Ive seen 100x more XTS's on the road than the RL( <-which is 0). And i have to say the XTS looks far better from a styling standpoint. (which is a shame because acura should have learned from the RL)
AWD should provide more traction off the the line. and with better weight balance handling should be better.
seeing on the road does not mean car is desirable. it could have better deals/discounts/free maintainance things.
RLX is super quiest/fast/fuel efficient/handle better. Its MT figure 8 score is the highest in FWD and very close to RWD competitors.
MT already mentioned the same tires in Lexus for lack of handling power. alot worse than Lexus ES350.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...50_comparison/

The new ES is even 55 pounds lighter than its predecessor, delivering 2.4 better combined EPA mileage (2013's 24.6 mpg versus 2012's 22.2). Some of that is because of its Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires, which happen to be the same low-rolling-resistance rubber worn by the ES 300h hybrid. Unfortunately, it shows. The Lexus understeered its way round the figure-eight course's corners at a crummy 0.76 g, not helped at all by its group-worst weight distribution (61% of it up front). Frankly, I wondered if this car had the wrong tires, but a call confirmed that these are indeed the prescribed footwear.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2RF8KeoJx
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
AWD should provide more traction off the the line. and with better weight balance handling should be better.
seeing on the road does not mean car is desirable. it could have better deals/discounts/free maintainance things.
RLX is super quiest/fast/fuel efficient/handle better. Its MT figure 8 score is the highest in FWD and very close to RWD competitors.
MT already mentioned the same tires in Lexus for lack of handling power. alot worse than Lexus ES350.
AWD Should IF it had enough power to utilize/need the additional traction. But it doesnt. What it does do is add additional weight (XTS is 300lbs heavier) and additional drivetrain loss for power. Let the 2 drag race in the snow and see which wins. Bet the caddy is more than 3 seconds faster to 100 than the RLX fwd. The caddy wasnt built to be a 1/4 mile drag car. If you wanted something like that get the CTS-V which will destroy everything that acura currently has.

Not desirable huh? so seeing more on the road doesnt mean its a desirable car?? So what you are telling me is people are buying it because of better deals even though they dont like it?? Try again
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Safety Car

AWD Should IF it had enough power to utilize/need the additional traction. But it doesnt. What it does do is add additional weight (XTS is 300lbs heavier) and additional drivetrain loss for power. Let the 2 drag race in the snow and see which wins. Bet the caddy is more than 3 seconds faster to 100 than the RLX fwd. The caddy wasnt built to be a 1/4 mile drag car. If you wanted something like that get the CTS-V which will destroy everything that acura currently has.

Not desirable huh? so seeing more on the road doesnt mean its a desirable car?? So what you are telling me is people are buying it because of better deals even though they dont like it?? Try again
Audi A8 3.0T. see how fast that one is. Ist this vehicle light weight.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._l_first_test/

RLX will have no problem with snow with proper tire setup. even in worst tire for performance with longest life it has good speed.
There is alot of cars on the road because they have good deals from free maintainance to cheap leases. and those things get reflected in used car market.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
There.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
The XTS is, arguably, the least desirable car in the Cadillac lineup. I'm not sure winning a comparo with said car is all that much to write home about.
The way I see it is that, it's a comparison test between two mid level cars. We know the RLX has a AWD model, and we know the XTS will get the new 3.6TT engine soon. The comparison between those two models would be more interesting to enthusiasts. For now, this test is simply a comparison between two bread and butter trims.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Audi A8 3.0T. see how fast that one is. Ist this vehicle light weight.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._l_first_test/

Now You are talking/comparing a force induction motor, with quite a bit more HP and TQ where the majority of its torque is not far off of idle (2900 rpm vs 5200 and peak hp comes 1300 rpm sooner) and an 8 speed trans
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts

RLX will have no problem with snow with proper tire setup. even in worst tire for performance with longest life it has good speed.
You love talking about performance all the time.

So "no problem" and "good speed" won't cut it.

The FWD RLX will LOSE big time competing with AWD sedans in the snow, PERIOD.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

Should be interesting to see how he comes back to this.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Safety Car

Now You are talking/comparing a force induction motor, with quite a bit more HP and TQ where the majority of its torque is not far off of idle (2900 rpm vs 5200 and peak hp comes 1300 rpm sooner) and an 8 speed trans
I know but it is hardly 10% more power but far superior fuel economic/performance. almost 4 second difference in 0-100mph. This kind of difference comes from 40% more power.
Your simply not admiting that this Cadi is very poorly designed car. what do you think about RLX SH-AWD now?. Under 5 seconds with All season tire setup and under 4 seconds with summer performance tires.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Should be interesting to see how he comes back to this.
Thought you knew homie Fanbois ALWAYS com back to spew misinformation for the manufacturing company that they love.

I expect even more irrational comments which pertain to cars that have nothing to do with the one he is talking about, then say how FWD from Honda is superior, and then talk about if he had the money he would buy it.

He can have it for all I care, only way i'd get one is if I won it as a prize.

Almost 4000 lbs and FWD....................LOL

Honda just needs to man up and make a damn 4.0 V8, all they need to do is put 2 k20's together, i mean hell that how they made a F1 engine back in the day. Oh and it needs to be RWD like the rest of the modern world....
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Safety Car

There is alot of AWD sedans. You put summer performance tires on them and put winter on RLX and see how much AWD is better.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Ultra Negro

There is alot of AWD sedans. You put summer performance tires on them and put winter on RLX and see how much AWD is better.
But what if BOTH have winter performance tires, your argument is null and invalid.

Sometimes people need a Hi Five

IN THE FACE
Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 AM
6G TLX-S

Please don't sidetrack, compare apple to apple !

If you want to use summer perf. tires in the snow, then :

AWD sedans (summer tires) vs. FWD RLX (summer tires) => FWD RLX will lose in the snow.

But if you want to use winter tires in the snow, then :

AWD sedans (winter tires) vs. FWD RLX (winter tires) => FWD RLX will also lose in the snow.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Safety Car

Please don't sidetrack, compare apple to apple !

If you want to use summer perf. tires in the snow, then :

AWD sedans (summer tires) vs. FWD RLX (summer tires) => FWD RLX will lose in the snow.

But if you want to use winter tires in the snow, then :

AWD sedans (winter tires) vs. FWD RLX (winter tires) => FWD RLX will also lose in the snow.
why should i stick to apple to apple comparision. If you are investing in AWD price and fuel penalty. There is no reason to again spend the money for winter tires. Stick with what ever you had.
on other hand with higher fuel economic and lower maintaince of FWD. you can afford winter tires and stick with ultra performance in summer.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Senior Moderator

I know but it is hardly 10% more power but far superior fuel economic/performance. almost 4 second difference in 0-100mph. This kind of difference comes from 40% more power.
Your simply not admiting that this Cadi is very poorly designed car. what do you think about RLX SH-AWD now?. Under 5 seconds with All season tire setup and under 4 seconds with summer performance tires.
While i admit the caddy engine may not be the best, you simply dont understand how HP and TQ work. Having 30 more hp and 60lb/ft more torque is a HUGE advantage, Especially having that much TQ 2500 rpm sooner. Combine that with 8 closer spaced gears and you can have a huge advantage. Not to mention like the bmw, these engines (audi) seem to be underrated in power.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 AM
Senior Moderator

why should i stick to apple to apple comparision. If you are investing in AWD price and fuel penalty. There is no reason to again spend the money for winter tires. Stick with what ever you had.
on other hand with higher fuel economic and lower maintaince of FWD. you can afford winter tires and stick with ultra performance in summer.
Why stick with what it comes with when you find it perfectly fine to change the tires to suit your argument. It doesnt matter if one buys a car that comes with AWD, changing the tires to suit you just because they have an advantage doesnt make it fare. There are PLENTY of reasons to have winter tires on a AWD car. The safety aspect alone is a MAJOR reason to switch. And just to play your game, Fine, you put summer tires on and go do your 0-60, 60-0, skid pad for G's. Ill go and stick some R compounds on. If you want to put winter/snow tires on your car, fine put them on. Ill put my all seasons on.

See how this works. Change the rules to suit you and you can win. If I change the rules for me, ill win. This is WHY one needs to compare APPLES TO APPLES!

Now lets get back to the RLX

Last edited by fsttyms1; 04-24-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Team Owner

Did you just pull those #s out of your ass?

Under 4 secs? Do you know what it takes to do under 4 secs with a car that weights like 4500 lbs.
The following 4 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
Hapa DC5 (04-24-2013), jwong77 (04-25-2013), Ken1997TL (04-24-2013), ttribe (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
6G TLX-S

You just brought up an excellent point.

When people are spending extra money on AWD sedans and don't mind the fuel penalty, they are also more than willing to spend a little more on winter tires for the winter months.

But for those who can only afford the cheaper FWD sedans and are dime-counting their gasoline receipts, they are the ones who won't spend more money on buying expensive winter tires.

If you really don't like comparing apple to apple. Then I'll use your rule to play.

How about a FWD Honda Accord vs. a FWD RLX ? The Accord is much cheaper and is more fuel economy too, when compared with the FWD RLX.

So, either way, the FWD one will lose in the snow, when competing with the AWD ones.

Last edited by Edward'TLS; 04-24-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
New article today from Motor Trend.....

This compares the RLX to the Cadillac XTS.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s4_comparison/
Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
New article today from Motor Trend.....

This compares the RLX to the Cadillac XTS.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s4_comparison/
Just look at the picture in there XTS already looks $20k more expensive than RLX.

Not saying XTS looks $70k, just saying RLX does not even look $50k.

for the first time in my life i actually prefer the American car interior over Acura's. i love that LCD Screen.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 04-24-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Seriously, I don't like the Caddy grill at all, it looks just weird. Anyway we had a winner lol
"The XTS shines in physical presence and handling prowess, but takes a big hit because of its clunky user interface and relatively poor performance at the pump. The new RLX might lack the Cadillac's dramatic sheetmetal and doesn't hustle through the twisties with the same athleticism, but it delivers outstanding comfort, a creamy ride, a brilliant combo of speed and frugality, outstanding refinement (at highway speeds its cabin is as quiet as a tomb), and a boatload of technology that's far more accessible on a daily basis. By the narrowest of margins, the 2014 Acura RLX takes home the gold."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2RPjZMB3R
I can't wait for the hybrid model!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Under 4 secs? Do you know what it takes to do under 4 secs with a car that weights like 4500 lbs.
Exactly. A massive amount of torque, very short gearing and some big fat tires to handle all that power to the rear.

@ a 300 hp FWD luxo-barge doing 0-60 in 4 seconds.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Exactly. A massive amount of torque, very short gearing and some big fat tires to handle all that power to the rear.

Though it's still being a bit too optimistic, but I think SSFTSX was talking about RLX AWD......

For referece, C/D tested an Audi A8 4.0T 8AT with 420hp/406lbft/4635lb got pulled a 3.9s for 0-60mph. If it's true that Sports hybrid awd is lighter than sh-awd, then perhaps 370hp and instant torque at 0rpm along with DCT in a 4200lb car MIGHT be able to do the same in 4 seconds. But I'm not holding my breath.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iforyou
Though it's still being a bit too optimistic, but I think SSFTSX was talking about RLX AWD......

For referece, C/D tested an Audi A8 4.0T 8AT with 420hp/406lbft/4635lb got pulled a 3.9s for 0-60mph. If it's true that Sports hybrid awd is lighter than sh-awd, then perhaps 370hp and instant torque at 0rpm along with DCT in a 4200lb car MIGHT be able to do the same in 4 seconds. But I'm not holding my breath.
Let's just say it can do 0-60 in 4 secs, which is highly unlikely. But what happens after 60mph when the battery is less effective and the gas engine takes over.

It will feel just like a TL but heavier?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
SSFTSX: Making Acura vehicle threads 10 times longer than they should be.
The following 3 users liked this post by Moog-Type-S:
civicdrivr (04-24-2013), pnoi521 (04-26-2013), ttribe (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 5,920 Likes on 2,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

It took 500hp, 380lb/ft tq. to do the damage (below) in a 4,200 lb (dry) car and 0-60 was typically clocked at ~4.5. It's going to take way more than anything Acura is reporting to get the RLX to a sub-4.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Safety Car

While i admit the caddy engine may not be the best, you simply dont understand how HP and TQ work. Having 30 more hp and 60lb/ft more torque is a HUGE advantage, Especially having that much TQ 2500 rpm sooner. Combine that with 8 closer spaced gears and you can have a huge advantage. Not to mention like the bmw, these engines (audi) seem to be underrated in power.
It is not just engine. but dysfunctional telemetics, poor fuel economy. ( even RDX AWD is faster than XTS on MT test) and poor handling for an AWD. your making excuses. XTS and Audi has identical weight.

how much faster is BMW 335i 6MT than Accord V6 Coupe 6MT? both have identical weights. I will not even go into putting all season tire setup on 335i. in that case Accord coupe will be likely to faster.
so where is that huge 30 bhps and 50 ft-lb of extra torque advantage for BMW?.
This exact comparable example of Cadi and Audi. Identical weight vehicles.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Safety Car

You just brought up an excellent point.

When people are spending extra money on AWD sedans and don't mind the fuel penalty, they are also more than willing to spend a little more on winter tires for the winter months.

But for those who can only afford the cheaper FWD sedans and are dime-counting their gasoline receipts, they are the ones who won't spend more money on buying expensive winter tires.

If you really don't like comparing apple to apple. Then I'll use your rule to play.

How about a FWD Honda Accord vs. a FWD RLX ? The Accord is much cheaper and is more fuel economy too, when compared with the FWD RLX.

So, either way, the FWD one will lose in the snow, when competing with the AWD ones.
My point is correct. if some one can pay monthly bills for XTS AWD fuel economic. They are more likely can afford Audi A8 3.0T with superior fuel economic or BMW 535X leases. It is non sense to change tires on AWD vehicles. Its All season should provide sufficient traction. You save couple of grand on RLX FWD fuel economic and can afford both summer and winter set.

Accord is cheaper but it does not have outstanding refinement (designed from ground up for large noise reducing wheels) , stereo, highly automated safety features, and mid range torque of DI engine. Just adding this stereo to Accord will add $6k to $8k. see the B&O options on Germans. DI engine will add another $3k at mimimum. RLX is much greater vehicle than sum of Accord parts.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
how much faster is BMW 335i 6MT than Accord V6 Coupe 6MT? both have identical weights. I will not even go into putting all season tire setup on 335i. in that case Accord coupe will be likely to faster.
so where is that huge 30 bhps and 50 ft-lb of extra torque advantage for BMW?
The Accord 6MT is a low 14 second, maybe high 13 car at best with a good driver. The BMW will run low-mid 13s all day long even with a mediocre driver.

My point is correct. if some one can pay monthly bills for XTS AWD fuel economic. They are more likely can afford Audi A8 3.0T with superior fuel economic or BMW 535X leases. It is non sense to change tires on AWD vehicles. Its All season should provide sufficient traction. You save couple of grand on RLX FWD fuel economic and can afford both summer and winter set.
Yes... because AWD allows your all-seasons to stop like winter tires in the snow.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Ultra Negro

Accord is cheaper but it does not have outstanding refinement (designed from ground up for large noise reducing wheels) , stereo, highly automated safety features, and mid range torque of DI engine. Just adding this stereo to Accord will add $6k to $8k. see the B&O options on Germans. DI engine will add another $3k at mimimum. RLX is much greater vehicle than sum of Accord parts.
Why hasn't Darwin led you into the front of a bus yet?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

Wait... summer and winter tires on a FWD car - but all seasons are fine for AWD?

Clearly you have a very low understanding of friction, force, inertia, etc.

Seasonal compounds are made for specific reasons. All seasons (while they might be fine to use) will NEVER perform the same as winter tires in the snow - same can be said for summer tires vs all seasons in temps above 50*.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,155 Likes on 2,581 Posts
+1, and RWD which has the advantage of more weight transfer to the rear tires during acceleration allowing great traction to get more power to the ground. Something the opposite happens for FWD.

Originally Posted by ttribe
It took 500hp, 380lb/ft tq. to do the damage (below) in a 4,200 lb (dry) car and 0-60 was typically clocked at ~4.5. It's going to take way more than anything Acura is reporting to get the RLX to a sub-4.

The following users liked this post:
ttribe (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Let's just say it can do 0-60 in 4 secs, which is highly unlikely. But what happens after 60mph when the battery is less effective and the gas engine takes over.

It will feel just like a TL but heavier?
I think the new system has a higher capacity than the typical IMA system. I'd imagine the boost will last more than 4 seconds before becoming less effective. I'd think you'd need to have a pretty long straightaway before the battery is depleted to a point where it becomes less effective? I don't know..guess we will find out. I don't think this is much of an issue for the RLX, for the NSX though, it will be interesting to see how long the battery can stay effective before it has to be charged by the engine.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

I think the new system has a higher capacity than the typical IMA system. I'd imagine the boost will last more than 4 seconds before becoming less effective. I'd think you'd need to have a pretty long straightaway before the battery is depleted to a point where it becomes less effective? I don't know..guess we will find out. I don't think this is much of an issue for the RLX, for the NSX though, it will be interesting to see how long the battery can stay effective before it has to be charged by the engine.
Yeah, The few who buy RLX will not do 0-60 with or without summer tires, maybe except for SSFFSSXXX

So people who take NSX to the track can probably only do 1 lap at a time
Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Talking If It Helps

Info from "Car & Driver":
Peak total system power is about 370 hp, but the car feels stronger thanks to the instantaneous torque of the electric motors, which assist propulsion up to 75 mph.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TSX69
Info from "Car & Driver":
Peak total system power is about 370 hp, but the car feels stronger thanks to the instantaneous torque of the electric motors, which assist propulsion up to 75 mph.
So in other words, 1/4 mile will be slower than what a "true" 370hp car.

Not that it matters.

but wait, more rear leg room and superior ground clearance will make up for it.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yeah, The few who buy RLX will not do 0-60 with or without summer tires, maybe except for SSFFSSXXX

So people who take NSX to the track can probably only do 1 lap at a time
I really want to know how long it will take before the NSX runs out of juice. I mean that car is being tested at Nurburgring. I'd imagine it can last at least that long. Then again the system actually gets charged not just during braking, but also cornering. So I don't know if that would help anything....

So in other words, 1/4 mile will be slower than what a "true" 370hp car.

Not that it matters.

but wait, more rear leg room and superior ground clearance will make up for it.
lol my understanding from that quote is that the RLX would feel like a 400hp car up to 75mph on full charge, and then feels like a 370hp after 75mph......
Old 04-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

I really want to know how long it will take before the NSX runs out of juice. I mean that car is being tested at Nurburgring. I'd imagine it can last at least that long. Then again the system actually gets charged not just during braking, but also cornering. So I don't know if that would help anything....

lol my understanding from that quote is that the RLX would feel like a 400hp car up to 75mph on full charge, and then feels like a 370hp after 75mph......
Really i thought it was 370 HP with battery included. I do not believe RLX will feel like it has 370hp without the help from battery.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:31 PM
6G TLX-S

Don't think inside the nutshell. Think Big.

If those who can pay monthly bills for XTS AWD fuel economic, and can afford Audi A8 3.0T with superior fuel economic or BMW 535X leases, they will have the dough to buy dedicated winter tires. A set of extra rims and winter tires means NOTHING to them.

But for those who can barely afford a FWD sedan, and are dime-counting their gas receipts, where on earth can they cough up the extra dough for expensive (to them) winter tires ?! When one has no money, he/she has NO MONEY. Where on earth can they find the extra storage space for the extra set of tires, unlike all those loaded people living in mega houses ?!

I too understand that the Accord doesn't have outstanding this and that. But if one has to worry so much about the fuel economy and gasoline bills, how on earth can they afford to buy a premium-priced FWD RLX with all the bells and whistles. When one has no money, they have to settle for something less. Everyone wants to get free lunches, but life doesn't work this way.

Besides, if one put fuel economy as top priority, they will never buy the big and heavy RLX in the 1st place. The huge size, the heavy curb weight, and the thirsty V6 are all working against good fuel economy.

So your logic is faulty.

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News