Acura: RLX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:10 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to say the exterior is a bit boring... But this car looks a lot more mature than the 2G. Like grandpa-ish mature.

The front screams Toyota Camry and the rear looks like an Avalon. Maybe it will look sharper in a more exciting color like Basque Red or something. As is, this car does not offer a lot of visual excitement.

I would have rather seen the headlight design of the NSX with the triangular LED design rather than the glass snowmen the RLX was given. That design had more agression to it which would compliment the simplistic headlight design and offer more character. As boring as the front end is, I think the rear is worse. Its pretty uninspired... Cars without exhaust ports bother me as well. But I do believe bigger cars that are designed in a more traditional style are falling behind the trend of dramatic sedans like the CLS, A7, CC, etc. so in comparison it will look boring.

The inside looks gorgeous but again I dont think it's as 'wow' as the 2Gs outward center stack. But this looks more user friendly so that's probably better. The all gray steering wheel looks out of place and I would rather see some fancier gauges than an ILX/RDX copy.

The technology and power train I am thoroughly impressed with. I think Acura hit the mark on that aspect.

What vehicles will the FWD model compete with?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by Allen-
What vehicles will the FWD model compete with?
Lexus ES?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Reminds me of the old Lexus LS
Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
is out, so the

Originally Posted by ttribe
Lexus ES?
Does Audi offer a FWD A6?

Isn't Cadillac putting out a FWD large sedan? ATS?

Whoops meant the XTS.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
at 1:10........so sexy!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
at 1:10........so sexy!!!
The hot dog guy?!?!?

:theghey:
Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Does Audi offer a FWD A6?

Isn't Cadillac putting out a FWD large sedan? ATS?

Whoops meant the XTS.
All versions of the current A6 are AWD (just checked the website). Don't know about Cadillac.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
is out, so the

Does the Acura design team really not take a step back and look before rushing to production? I mean do they not say "well I think this looks too similar to ----- so maybe we should rethink this..."

I know the design team used to be able to produce truly stunning designs that looked original and expensive yet minimal. (3G TL, 2G TL-S, 2G RL, 2G MDX, 1&2G NSX, Legend, Integra, etc.)

I'm pretty let down by this. I dont think its ugly, but I think it is a missed opportunity.
The following users liked this post:
dom (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
That thing looks nice in black. I can already see some visual mods I'd do to this
Old 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts
Does the Acura design team really not take a step back and look before rushing to production? I mean do they not say "well I think this looks too similar to ----- so maybe we should rethink this..."

I know the design team used to be able to produce truly stunning designs that looked original and expensive yet minimal. (3G TL, 2G TL-S, 2G RL, 2G MDX, 1&2G NSX, Legend, Integra, etc.)

I'm pretty let down by this. I dont think its ugly, but I think it is a missed opportunity.
Yea it does look like a cross between a Lexus LS and a new Buick Lucerne. I think they did a great job on the grille though. Much better than all the other offerings. i like the way the Acura "A" showed up on the MID
Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
No doubt. But whoever thought it was a good idea to put those wheels on the concept should be shown the door. They are absolutely terrible. And considering who a car like this is aimed it, no idea how they thought those were a good idea. Granted its minor, but its still apparent there are some poor decisions being made at Acura.

Lets see what the rest of it looks like before saying anything else.

BTW - where you been? Seems like its been awhile.
Life's been a little busy of late, so I've only been on here for about 15-20 minutes any given week for the about the last year or so. Hope you and the family are well.

And after seeing the video, I have to admit, standing still, the wheels look very meh, but in motion, they give a pretty cool turbine effect.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Seriously, a whole new design team is obviously needed.

I don't see a scenario will this car makes any meaningful sales gains over the previous Gen. I know the 2nd gen sold far better out of the gate that it did later in life and I can't see that changing with this car.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Life's been a little busy of late, so I've only been on here for about 15-20 minutes any given week for the about the last year or so. Hope you and the family are well.
Family's good thanks. Hope to see your around here more often. Acura could use your help!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
I wonder how much alignment are going to be with this new 4 wheel steering and if it can be done on a regular alignment machine. I know with BMW's active steering, it has to be done with a special machine that only dealers have and they charge close to $200.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
The hot dog guy?!?!?

:theghey:
wtf?? I said 1:10 !!! when the car starts up and the Acura logo comes up. Geez, stop projecting your homoerotic beeftube fantasies unto others.

The RLX will have full-LED headlamps, as well as a passel of safety and infotainment gadgets. Collision-mitigating braking, lane-keep assist, forward collision warning, and lane-departure warning will all be standard. The interior will feature dual LCD screens—an eight-inch screen for display purposes and a seven-inch touch screen for inputs. Acura says the latter will provide one-touch access to audio, HVAC, and navigation systems. The car will feature an app that will allow access to smartphone e-mail, text-message, and contact functions.

Really excited about this dual screen setup!

AND I think that it's ridiculous how people just hate every design Acura does lately. They go bold, and everyone says it's TOO bold and looks stupid. They go conservative, and everyone goes TOO conservative and looks bland. Maybe they should've just done like Kia/Hyundai and steal the designer from Audi and have him make their cars look like Audis and Jags instead of BMWs. I'd hate to be a car designer in this current world. Can't win all the time.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Are there dimensions for this yet? Looks like its going to compete with the A8/LS/7 Series/S Class/Equus

I think it looks nice but not exciting. Reminds me of a refreshed version of this:

AND I think that it's ridiculous how people just hate every design Acura does lately. They go bold, and everyone says it's TOO bold and looks stupid. They go conservative, and everyone goes TOO conservative and looks bland. Maybe they should've just done like Kia/Hyundai and steal the designer from Audi and have him make their cars look like Audis and Jags instead of BMWs. I'd hate to be a car designer in this current world. Can't win all the time.
But the 4G TL DOES look stupid and "the beak" was a terrible design element forced upon all the models. Imagine if Peter Schreyer had been able to do to the TL what he did to the Optima. I'm sure no one would be complaining.

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 04-04-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Maybe they should've just done like Kia/Hyundai and steal the designer from Audi and have him make their cars look like Audis and Jags instead of BMWs.
Judging by Hyundai and Kia's sales numbers, yes they probably should have.

Whether they went bold or bland, it doesn't matter because the cars didn't look good. Design a nice looking car, its shouldn't be that hard. This is by no means ugly like the 4G TL but its boring as sin. But, looks are subjective, all we can do is offer an opinion, no point arguing.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM

AND I think that it's ridiculous how people just hate every design Acura does lately.
Generally speaking, when companies experience the - "everyone hates what you're doing" - phenomenon there are two take-a ways: 1) it's not "everyone's" fault, it's the company's fault; and 2) it's change-or-die time.

ETA: BTW, I don't "hate" this new concept. It's better than the 2G RL, but it's not enough in that segment. I just don't see it grabbing a significant share of the market for this class of car.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM
UA6 SSM TL

Received 106 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Judging by Hyundai and Kia's sales numbers, yes they probably should have.

Whether they went bold or bland, it doesn't matter because the cars didn't look good. Design a nice looking car, its shouldn't be that hard. This is by no means ugly like the 4G TL but its boring as sin. But, looks are subjective, all we can do is offer an opinion, no point arguing.
says the designer car guy.. if only you knew what it takes to design a car
Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Looks a bit like the LS and A8...it's conservative..but that's understandable. As soon as they try something else...they fail.....lol...

Seriously though, the car looks much better in the video that in pictures. It sure has a lot more road presence when the car is in motion.

370+hp with 30 city mpg in a 4000lb car...not bad, not bad.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by mikeschicagoRL
Are there dimensions for this yet? Looks like its going to compete with the A8/LS/7 Series/S Class/Equus

I think it looks nice but not exciting. Reminds me of a refreshed version of this:

But the 4G TL DOES look stupid and "the beak" was a terrible design element forced upon all the models. Imagine if Peter Schreyer had been able to do to the TL what he did to the Optima. I'm sure no one would be complaining.

Some people liked it, and enough did to put it into production. Sure, it's their fault for not testing it in the mass market before making it, but doesn't mean they weren't trying. Heck, I think the new Caddys look bulky and stupid, but most people like em. Can't fault Acura for at least trying something radical.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM

Some people liked it, and enough did to put it into production. Sure, it's their fault for not testing it in the mass market before making it, but doesn't mean they weren't trying. Heck, I think the new Caddys look bulky and stupid, but most people like em. Can't fault Acura for at least trying something radical.
By that same logic, you can't "fault" consumers (including the ones on this board) for expressing the opinion that they failed in their styling effort...and yet, here you are, doing exactly that.
The following 2 users liked this post by ttribe:
CLtotheTL32 (04-04-2012), jwong77 (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 24no7
says the designer car guy.. if only you knew what it takes to design a car

Have other companies designed nice looking cars before? Has Acura/Honda? If the answer is yes I have no idea what point you're trying to make. Me not being a designer has nothing to do with this car styling issues. Again, IMO. You trying to link my not being a designer to the inability of a company to make a nice looking car is pointless.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Goodbye.

By that same logic, you can't "fault" consumers (including the ones on this board) for expressing the opinion that they failed in their styling effort...and yet, here you are, doing exactly that.
Yes, you can't fault consumers, but you are not a consumer of the RL, are you?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
The guy owns an m5. I'm sure that the RL would be in his range. Just sayin...
The following 3 users liked this post by CarbonGray Earl:
jwong77 (04-04-2012), Ken1997TL (04-04-2012), ttribe (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by dom
Have other companies designed nice looking cars before? Has Acura/Honda? If the answer is yes I have no idea what point you're trying to make. Me not being a designer has nothing to do with this car styling issues. Again, IMO. You trying to link my not being a designer to the inability of a company to make a nice looking car is pointless.

The thing is, you want them to design a nice looking car by your standards. Sure you can say Acura's board has bad taste, but to them, this is a nice looking car.

Saying design a nice looking car is like a woman saying she wants a man with a sense of humour. What kind of humour? dirty jokes? childish jokes? dry sense of humour?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM

Do I really need to specify that by "consumer" I meant all possible consumers as well (not just ones who actually buy it)? Had the RL been a viable contender when I decided to move on from my 3G TL, I might have considered it...it wasn't.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

The thing is, you want them to design a nice looking car by your standards. Sure you can say Acura's board has bad taste, but to them, this is a nice looking car.

Saying design a nice looking car is like a woman saying she wants a man with a sense of humour. What kind of humour? dirty jokes? childish jokes? dry sense of humour?
maybe you missed my earlier post...

But, looks are subjective, all we can do is offer an opinion, no point arguing.
And I agree. Its my opinion, nothing more. I will say the screen caps of the black car going around look better.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Goodbye.

Do I really need to specify that by "consumer" I meant all possible consumers as well (not just ones who actually buy it)? Had the RL been a viable contender when I decided to move on from my 3G TL, I might have considered it...it wasn't.
and that's your taste. Other people have other taste.

I'm a possible consumer for a space shuttle too.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

That's quite an assumption. Should we start qualifying people before we allow them to offer an opinion?

Everyone, please start PM'ing me the credit apps.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I think what it seems to be is that this car just isn't 'sexy'. It doesn't elicit that visceral response.

Which is why I think it might sell well but be panned by us 25-50 y/o male enthusiasts. The Lexus ES sells pretty damn well, but it feels like you drive your couch to work.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
is out, so the

But the 4G TL DOES look stupid and "the beak" was a terrible design element forced upon all the models. Imagine if Peter Schreyer had been able to do to the TL what he did to the Optima. I'm sure no one would be complaining.[/QUOTE]

The problem I see with the original Acura shield grill was that the average consumer doesn't really dissect a design the way someone with an artistic mind would. When I see a 4G TL with the original grille I see a stylized shield, which is what I think the Power Plenum was intended to be. I think the average person looks at the shield and makes the connection to beak, razor blade, can opener, etc. The root of why the power plenum was such a shock I believe, was because of the size. It dominated the front end instead of complimenting it. Had it been smaller and less angled forward, it would have been less offensive.

Had the designers not made the front of the car so pointed, the front overhang would not look so long, either. But when you view the car from the side you are viewing the distance to the corner of the bumper, plus the extra distance of the point on the front end.

Now that the grill has been modified and pushed downwards inside the pentagon, I see stylized wings, not a shield. I think the wings are more feminine, but if the designers would make the edges sharper it could look more aggressive. For instance the lines that extend onto the hood from the wings could be made sharper and create a more dramatic, sculpted hood.

Crossing over to the ILX, if there was not a panel gap for the hood running across the top of the front end, the front wouldn't look so tall or as big. The panel gap breaks the visual up and makes the front end look taller. If they had made the hood run all the way to the grille the front end might look more inline with the small rear deck. Not saying it would be a tremendous change, it's jus a thought.

The ILX concepts lower front fascia differs from the production version and I hope the RLXs does too.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:22 PM

and that's your taste. Other people have other taste.
Right, but what you seem to be missing is that in a business setting, the point is to maximize the number of people who will buy your product within the target segment. For this car, the apparent target segment is the group of buyers both willing and able to purchase a full-size luxury vehicle. The overwhelming majority of that group, over the past 3 years, has spoken loudly - THEY DON'T LIKE ACURA's STYLING APPROACH. That's a problem for Acura, not for the consumer.

I'm a possible consumer for a space shuttle too.
Then, I have bad news for you - they don't make them anymore, and all the used ones are spoken for.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Not everyone wants a flashy car. Some people prefer substance and understated styling that will age well.

For some of you who pine for the Legend of old, it wasn't seen as a timeless design at the time. A 'gussied-up Accord' is what many referred to even the 2nd gen sedan AND coupe.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken1997TL:
D4V1D.TL (04-21-2012), neuronbob (04-04-2012)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Not everyone wants a flashy car. Some people prefer substance and understated styling that will age well.
Ken, I think the prev gen fits that mold exactly. How'd that work out?

Only time will tell with this one.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Goodbye.

Right, but what you seem to be missing is that in a business setting, the point is to maximize the number of people who will buy your product within the target segment. For this car, the apparent target segment is the group of buyers both willing and able to purchase a full-size luxury vehicle. The overwhelming majority of that group, over the past 3 years, has spoken loudly - THEY DON'T LIKE ACURA's STYLING APPROACH. That's a problem for Acura, not for the consumer.

Then, I have bad news for you - they don't make them anymore, and all the used ones are spoken for.
Well, I'm waiting for the redesigned one which everyone will probably hate for having an either too crazy or conservative design.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I think it's alright overall. The exterior is somewhat bland, but as said before that's what the older people who are going to buy it want. I like the new design of the headlights, wonder how close the production model will be.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Ken, I think the prev gen fits that mold exactly. How'd that work out?

Only time will tell with this one.
The issue with that RL (and other vehicles in the lineup) is the lack of significant refreshes. A lot of things changed in those 8 years. Acura barely did anything to the car.

It was an excellent car in 2004.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by dom
That's quite an assumption. Should we start qualifying people before we allow them to offer an opinion?

Everyone, please start PM'ing me the credit apps.
Done.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
The issue with that RL (and other vehicles in the lineup) is the lack of significant refreshes. A lot of things changed in those 8 years. Acura barely did anything to the car.

It was an excellent car in 2004.
and they only updated the transmission last year. They really didn't followup well.

Quick Reply: Acura: RLX News