Acura: NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Calling on this, because I was in for minor service on my super dope everything is awesome 6MT today and the manager said they are not accepting deposits yet on the next next next NSX
Dealers in other countries, such as the UK and UAE have officially been doing deposits since last summer.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Calling on this, because I was in for minor service on my super dope everything is awesome 6MT today and the manager said they are not accepting deposits yet on the next next next NSX
Perhaps they are not going to have any allocations for Motown.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Dealers in other countries, such as the UK and UAE have officially been doing deposits since last summer.
Pretty sure VR1's parents don't reside in whiskers zip code. And if you just got back from a stint taking out some bad guys in Karzai's neighborhood, I'll take your word for it too.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:32 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Perhaps they are not going to have any allocations for Motown.
Oh, whatever Mr. Kardashian.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The local Vape lounge here is taking deposits
Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
The local Vape lounge here is taking deposits
Well then sign me up brotha, I needz another hit.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:45 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
Pretty sure VR1's parents don't reside in whiskers zip code. And if you just got back from a stint taking out some bad guys in Karzai's neighborhood, I'll take your word for it too.
It is not my parents that put a deposit. I KNOW my dealer is taking deposits. I KNOW a dealer in Boston is taking deposits. I KNOW two people, one a family member who placed a deposit. You can call up any of the larger dealers in the U.S. yourself and ask if they are taking deposits.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

All a deposit means is that your spot in line for a product is ensured through that distributor.

It doesn't guarantee a product IS in fact going to happen. There is a thing called a 'refund'..

Now, having said all that, the best indicator that the NSX is going to happen this time around is all the money, training and construction in Ohio for just this car. Honda shareholders (including myself) have been assured multiple quarters that this newest NSX is really/truly/for realz yo going to happen.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
for realz yo
Old 03-18-2014, 02:05 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Does any dealership, that is taking deposits, know what will be the approx. price of the NSX ? $100K ? $150K ? $200K ?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Honda shareholders (including myself) have been assured multiple quarters that this newest NSX is really/truly/for realz yo going to happen.
If I was a stockholder, I might not be looking forward to the NSX - only 10 years from now will people realize that like the first gen NSX, the current gen could be a total money pit and not make any money for Honda. Only well after production did we find out that even at $400K Toyota lost money on every LFA it sold.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:21 AM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Does any dealership, that is taking deposits, know what will be the approx. price of the NSX ? $100K ? $150K ? $200K ?
I think any dealership supposedly taking deposits in an urban legend. Not because the next next next NSX is not going to actually appear, but because no one outside of the development team knows when it will finally be production ready. So says my local Acura dealer manager and he seems pretty legit.

No excuse me while I go take a hit of vape from Moog's pipe. This power plenum is addicting fo realz yo!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:58 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Like I said, whether the change of direction (from V10 to V6 TT hybrid) is a good move or not, that's totally up for debate. Everyone has his own opinion on this. Your stance is that efficiency is not important for expensive, luxury brands.

I see it a bit differently. Let's keep it at that as we have discussed this many times already.

Ya 30mpg on the highway in a 3000lb car is not bad. However, city rating is also important. Don't you think so? You might only drive on the highway, that's great. But there are people who drive in the city too.

While there's "only" an extra 67hp, there's also an extra 105lbft of torque. What's more? Most of that torque is available right from the start, while the FWD model needs 4500rpm to reach its peak torque. The above, plus the new 7-DCT? I think the extra 350lb or so is worth it. That's about 50-100lb heavier than a typical AWD system. And we haven't even touched on the handling and fuel efficiency advantages.

How do we define sales success? To beat Toyota's hybrid sales numbers? When? This year? Next year? The issue here is that, Toyota has a huge advantage over Honda because Toyota captured the market properly, while Honda did not. I don't think it's realistic to expect Accord hybrid to do as well as the Camry hybrid in sales in the next couple years. I doubt Honda can change the perception of people (i.e. Buy hybrids? Buy Toyotas) that quickly.
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
When you go shopping for a Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette etc... Are you honestly considering the EPA ratings? I know im not. I couldnt give 2 shits if one car has a few mpg more city than the other. Most are buying on preference of brand, power/stats etc.. The way i typically drive there is no way the NSX could achieve anywhere near city EPA ratings and in all likely hood be the same or worse than the others due to having to work that much harder. I dont buy cars on the EPA rating, i buy what suits my wants/needs.
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Ban MPG talk from NSX topic.
Originally Posted by Costco
^edit:

With the once suggested V6 + hybrid powertrain, I could see the NSX getting good gas mileage.

But with a TT V6, even with IMA to help out, I doubt it'll have noteworthy fuel economy. Maybe relatively speaking.
while it may attract some current customers i dont think it really helps to attract new (which is what sales seem to show) They need to concentrate on looks as much as they do with the "mpg" ability.
McLaren marketing info for MP4-12, fuel economy is one of six performance parameter in their short 6 item list

Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
McLaren marketing info for MP4-12, fuel economy is one of six performance parameter in their short 6 item list

And guess how many people buying that car actually care about that last number. (hint: its less then 1)
Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by MeehowsBRZ
And guess how many people buying that car actually care about that last number. (hint: its less then 1)
I imagine most do not but hint: you or I don't know.

I went on a road trip to Amelia Concour car show last week. Both people I went with drive Ferrari's, one previously had a Diablo. We met one of their friends who is the COO of a large car dealership group in northern VA.

We had a conversation about cost of Ferrari ownership. The COO has 3 Ferrari's and as not only annoyed by the high maintenance cost but also the fuel economy due to the cost and range limitations. The other two owners and I were amused by that admission but I know of at least one but he's also a CPA.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-18-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
I think any dealership supposedly taking deposits in an urban legend. Not because the next next next NSX is not going to actually appear, but because no one outside of the development team knows when it will finally be production ready. So says my local Acura dealer manager and he seems pretty legit.

No excuse me while I go take a hit of vape from Moog's pipe. This power plenum is addicting fo realz yo!
I work for an Acura dealership. We have 5 deposits on a nsx.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (03-19-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 10:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by biker
If I was a stockholder, I might not be looking forward to the NSX - only 10 years from now will people realize that like the first gen NSX, the current gen could be a total money pit and not make any money for Honda. Only well after production did we find out that even at $400K Toyota lost money on every LFA it sold.
read a article about the LFA's operations, pretty unreal. Toyota wove their on carbon fiber fabric prepreg.
So I was not surprised they lost money on the LFA. McLaren barely broke even on the F1 depending on who you ask there.
Ferrari had losses on the many of their models in the mid-60's.

These days with ERP tools and better SCM, it's possible to have limited production and still produce a profit.
Ferrari claims it makes profit on all models. I was talking to a McLaren rep last week and the MP4-12 has broken into 1K+ production combined over the past two years.
I'm guessing with Ohio production facility and better forecasting Acura/Honda will make a small profit on the 2G NSX.
The 1G NSX losses was a sore subject for Honda's board.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-18-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Halo cars aren't supposed to be profitable on their own. They're supposed to build excitement for the brand, something you spend a lot of $$$ on advertising.

I, as a shareholder, would rather have the company lose $25 million on an NSX than spend $25 million on advertising.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ken1997TL:
00TL-P3.2 (03-18-2014), fsttyms1 (03-19-2014), JS + XES (03-18-2014), ttribe (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Many dealers will take your "deposit" money for all sorts of supposed future vehicles.

That's why it's called a refundable deposit.
The car may never come to fruition......and the dealer will thank you for letting them have your money for a year or two.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:12 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I imagine most do not but hint: you or I don't know.

I went on a road trip to Amelia Concour car show last week. Both people I went with drive Ferrari's, one previously had a Diablo. We met one of their friends who is the COO of a large car dealership group in northern VA.

We had a conversation about cost of Ferrari ownership. The COO has 3 Ferrari's and as not only annoyed by the high maintenance cost but also the fuel economy due to the cost and range limitations. The other two owners and I were amused by that admission but I know of at least one but he's also a CPA.
Yea....while some wealthly people don't care much about fuel costs, there are also rich people who are more "stingy." A lot of rich people didn't start out rich, and had to work their way up. They understand how money building works and so they will still be careful of how they spend their money. I don't think we can generalize that every rich person doesn't care about gas money.

Besides, some of these rich people don't want others to think they don't care about the environment. They might want the world to know that while they are rich, they also care about the environment.

Then there are the Chinese customers. One of my friends works at a high-end car dealership that sells high end cars (i.e. Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, etc). He deals with many wealthy Chinese customers. These customers would try to ask you to sell a $150k car for $100k. It's just a Chinese culture thing to negotiate/low ball. For these people, fuel economy might be an issue, even if they can easily afford the car and fuel.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Then there are the Chinese customers. One of my friends works at a high-end car dealership that sells high end cars (i.e. Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, etc). He deals with many wealthy Chinese customers. These customers would try to ask you to sell a $150k car for $100k. It's just a Chinese culture thing to negotiate/low ball. For these people, fuel economy might be an issue, even if they can easily afford the car and fuel.
Which dealership?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Some dude

Yea....while some wealthly people don't care much about fuel costs, there are also rich people who are more "stingy." A lot of rich people didn't start out rich, and had to work their way up. They understand how money building works and so they will still be careful of how they spend their money. I don't think we can generalize that every rich person doesn't care about gas money.

Wait, so you think the "stingy" rich person has no problem dropping $200,000 on a car but freaks out over its gas mileage?? idk how you think that's accurate.

Stingy rich people are the dudes driving around in leased BMW's... or if they're spoiling themselves, an M5 or something, NOT a super car.

lol, and then he told you he was going to trade his Ferrari's in for something more reliable that gets better mpg's right?

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 03-18-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + BRZ
Which dealership?
london motor cars

Wait, so you think the "stingy" rich person has no problem dropping $200,000 on a car but freaks out over its gas mileage?? idk how you think that's accurate.

Stingy rich people are the dudes driving around in leased BMW's... or if they're spoiling themselves, an M5 or something, NOT a super car.
Again, I'm not say ALL rich people are like that. I have relatives in China that are like that though. Just because they are rich, it doesn't mean they don't like to save money. $200k USD is not a lot in China. A freaking X5 35i starts at RMB$928k. That's USD $150k. X5 50i starts at RMB$1.773 mil. That's USD$290k. Trust me, these folks still look for deals in everything (even when they go to the super market to buy groceries).

Before you say this is America, not China, well, please note that these super cars are sold worldwide.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
A freaking X5 35i starts at RMB$928k. That's USD $150k. X5 50i starts at RMB$1.773 mil. That's USD$290k.
Is that for the authentic X5 or the knockoff?
VR1 (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 PM
I drive a Subata.

london motor cars

Again, I'm not say ALL rich people are like that. I have relatives in China that are like that though. Just because they are rich, it doesn't mean they don't like to save money. $200k USD is not a lot in China. A freaking X5 35i starts at RMB$928k. That's USD $150k. X5 50i starts at RMB$1.773 mil. That's USD$290k. Trust me, these folks still look for deals in everything (even when they go to the super market to buy groceries).

Before you say this is America, not China, well, please note that these super cars are sold worldwide.
I don't know if you are Asian or not, but at least in Korea and China, a lot of foreign high end brands market their products with extra premium on the price because people are willing to pay more to boost their social status. It sounds weird but it is true. Higher end stuff gets sold better with higher pricing tag.

It's not because they lowball the brands.

To be honest, I have no idea why you are even bringing this up here.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts

Besides, some of these rich people don't want others to think they don't care about the environment. They might want the world to know that while they are rich, they also care about the environment.

These Chinese customers are only the typical Mainland China high-end cars buying culture, and are NOT representative of the Western high-end cars buying culture.

They claim they care about fuel costs, but they are also among those who end up buying large-displacement large-size high-end vehicles.

They will do anything or say anything just to get the high-end vehicle deal sealed with as little money out of pocket as possible.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM
AZ Community Team

There are rich people who do stingy things all the time, Harry Helmsley (worth billions) renamed his buildings with looking at the exisiting names and doing minimal letter changes to minimize stonework costs. Lee Iaccoca would take home light bulbs from work instead of paying for them despite being worth ten's of millions. You're just stereotyping rich people as not caring about money, some are still quite stingy because watching their money got them rich in the first place.

lol, and then he told you he was going to trade his Ferrari's in for something more reliable that gets better mpg's right?
Nope we moved on to discussing whether the auto group he works for is going to add a Jaguar dealership.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Some dude

You're just stereotyping rich people as not caring about money, some are still quite stingy because watching their money got them rich in the first place.

Do you even read what other people post?

"Stingy rich people are the dudes driving around in leased BMW's... or if they're spoiling themselves, an M5 or something, NOT a super car."

You assume stingy = wants good gas mileage to save $$ ... on a car that cost more then people's houses?? How on earth is that "watching their money?"

Nope we moved on to discussing whether the auto group he works for is going to add a Jaguar dealership.
... so he didn't really care. He complained about some stuff he doesn't like about his cars (just like us non-rich people!) and moved on. Thanks for proving my point for me.

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 03-19-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Do you even read what other people post?

"Stingy rich people are the dudes driving around in leased BMW's... or if they're spoiling themselves, an M5 or something, NOT a super car."

You assume stingy = wants good gas mileage to save $$ ... on a car that cost more then people's houses?? How on earth is that "watching their money?"
Obviously you didn't read them either. Some rich folks are concerned about the price of gas and milk, and some are not.

... so he didn't really care. He complained about some stuff he doesn't like about his cars (just like us non-rich people!) and moved on. Thanks for proving my point for me.
I only proved my point that you cannot stereotype people.

We also discussed the $1K water pump cost of 308/328 and how most owners are getting their pumps rebuilt.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Halo cars aren't supposed to be profitable on their own. They're supposed to build excitement for the brand, something you spend a lot of $$$ on advertising.

I, as a shareholder, would rather have the company lose $25 million on an NSX than spend $25 million on advertising.
Especially considering how shitty it is (Acura advertising)
Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Especially considering how shitty it is (Acura advertising)
Bette Midler and Micheal Bolton probably cost 7 figure range
Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Please, I dont car how poor you were and how carefully you spend your money, When you are dropping 200+k on an exotic car, the last thing you are thinking about is if you should get this one or the one that costs about 40 dollars less annually to fill up. Also, anyone who truly cares about the environment isnt going to be buying an exotic super car on the premise that he is being green or cares about being green.
JS + XES (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Obviously you didn't read them either. Some rich folks are concerned about the price of gas and milk, and some are not.
I fail to see how someone that drops 200K+ on a car is going to be concerned about gas.
MeehowsBRZ (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Buyers arent concerned. Governments are. The NSX and other similar exotics with hybrid systems will have much fewer restrictions/tax penalties etc.

Many European countries for example let the McLaren P1 slide by with minimal carbon penalties.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Some dude

Now you're just trolling.

"Yeah, I just spent $240,000 on my ride, its decent. But seriously, milk's like $2.50 a gallon now. I'm not eating cereal for a month!! I'm stingy like that."

Maybe you just suck at telling when people are being sarcastic to you.

I fail to see how someone that drops 200K+ on a car is going to be concerned about gas.

None of what that dude is saying makes any sense.

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 03-19-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 AM
I drive a Subata.

Please, I dont car how poor you were and how carefully you spend your money, When you are dropping 200+k on an exotic car, the last thing you are thinking about is if you should get this one or the one that costs about 40 dollars less annually to fill up. Also, anyone who truly cares about the environment isnt going to be buying an exotic super car on the premise that he is being green or cares about being green.
Seriously. Is this that hard to understand?

Can't believe we are even talking about this.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Cool

Now you're just trolling.

"Yeah, I just spent $240,000 on my ride, its decent. But seriously, milk's like $2.50 a gallon now. I'm not eating cereal for a month!! I'm stingy like that."

Maybe you just suck at telling when people are being sarcastic to you.
Nope, just saying that stereotyping doesn't always work.

Maybe you just suck at understanding that

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-19-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:02 PM
AZ Community Team

Buyers arent concerned. Governments are. The NSX and other similar exotics with hybrid systems will have much fewer restrictions/tax penalties etc.

Many European countries for example let the McLaren P1 slide by with minimal carbon penalties.
, one of the reoccurring requirements Vette's since C4 is no gas guzzler tax. S-classes have been available with 6 cylinders in Europe since the 70's.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 03-19-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Some dude

Nope, just saying that stereotyping doesn't always work.

Maybe you just suck at understanding that

Maybe you should try learning what words mean before using them.

Source: a dictionary

Stingy: not liking or wanting to give or spend money : not generous : small in size or amount
Does buying a super car qualify someone to be stingy: NO

I swear to God if you try to contradict the fucking dictionary...

Last edited by MeehowsBRZ; 03-19-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Maybe you should try learning what words mean before using them.

Source: a dictionary

Can you spend $200,000 on a car and be stingy? NO

End. Everything you say about being stingy AND owning a super car is pure BS... at least according to the dictionary.
Can you source the dictionary that says that.

Perhaps you should do the same, look up stereotype.

Quick Reply: Acura: NSX News