Acura: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
Audi isn't a premium brand when it comes to supercars, sorry. R8 sales are not exactly beating 911 turbo sales to the ground.

May I suggest doing some research on the Ford GT. THey sold out the entire production run, reviews were glorious. You might want to go further back and see how the original GT40 did and why its legendary.....

The R8 is superb in V-8 or V-10 form but don't think a "Ford" is a lesser car. Its more that on par with it.
Prosche will soon be part of history. Audi controls Lambo. let see who becomes No1. Ferrari better watch out.
let Ford Gt pull 1.2g first or have that kind of special lighting. Audi era is just begining. Audi is selling 5K per year and even more powerful versions are coming. unlimited R&D ability with largest profits and cash flow.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...p-wrap-up.html

Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Give me an A! ....
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Give me an A! ....
Gimmie an "S"!?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by ssftsx
ferrari better watch out.
lol.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Prosche will soon be part of history. Audi controls Lambo. let see who becomes No1. Ferrari better watch out.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JD23
what is so surprizing about this statement. Audi has largest weight reduction program across its line up. It has the best turbo tech. (New RS3/TTS @340bhp). i would not be surpized for 3.0T RS4 ~450/500bhp. RS6 already at 580bhp. Combination of German engineering powerhouse with Italian design flavor will produce unmatched supercars. There is new V10 S7 expected.
Fiat/Ferrari or BMW/MB alone cant challenge it both financially and technically.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
lol.
Exactly. Who is this guy?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 PM
OG Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Exactly. Who is this guy?
His/her arguments sound very childish honestly, with an over active imagination. Audi isn't Tier-1 and doesn't have the prestige of Benz or BMW, even with the R8. Ferrari and Lamborghini owners will just laugh.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DrewSRX
His/her arguments sound very childish honestly, with an over active imagination. Audi isn't Tier-1 and doesn't have the prestige of Benz or BMW, even with the R8. Ferrari and Lamborghini owners will just laugh.
Audi prestige is increasing. All those Royals and Celebrities around the world are buying it. It is definitely Tier1.
http://www.sponkit.com/prince-willia...-audi-quattro/
Prince William Bought Sporty Audi Quattro

Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23

Porsche>Audi

Period, from prestige to racing history to this

Audi is a fantastic brand but this guy is slightly off the rocker...
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet

Porsche>Audi

Period, from prestige to racing history to this

Audi is a fantastic brand but this guy is slightly off the rocker...
Porsche has racing history. but now it is bankrupt and is under investigation and i doubt it will have same prestige in future. thats the point. It will depend on Audi from diesels to hybrids to complete electric and in the end light weight platforms. Audi prestige is rising among celebrities/sports players/Royals around the world.

In past German Chancellor had MB cars but now it is Audi armoured.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I still don't understand the fascination with this Tier-1 labeling. Even BMW has admitted that they recognize Audi as real competition along with MB and Lexus. You can say all you want about brand prestige, blah blah blah, but you have to admit that they're no longer what they were back in the 90's.

Oh, and Ferrari and Lambo owners will probably laugh at just about any other car. Does that make Aston Martin and Jaguar not up to Tier-1 standards? Obviously not.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Tier 1 is still BMW, MB and Lexus

until the sales numbers of the A6 can even come close to the 5/E and the A8 can come close to the 7/S, then I don't think its so easy to throw around that labeling. Just because Audi sells the $100k+ R8 doesn't mean they're Tier 1. Hell, Acura had a $90,000 pseudo-supercar back in the 90's and nobody considered them even close to BMW/MB/Lexus in terms of prestige, did they?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Fair enough, but I still believe that the product is more important. What Audi has right now is more than enough to elevate them to "Tier-1". I wouldn't give a crap whether the product had prestige or not; I care about how well the product is made.

Regarding your argument about the NSX: Acura never had a line up even close to its German competitors. MB had their C, E, and S-class, along with the ML, and their AMG models; BMW had the 3, 5, and 7 series and their M models; and Audi had the A4, A6, A8 and S/RS models. Lexus has a similar model line-up minus the performance cars. Do you see what I'm saying? All that's really needed are quality cars that appeal to everyone. The Germans and Lexus can sell all their cars for above 30k MSRP and customers don't go home complaining about how they overpaid for their car.

However, look at Acura back then. They had the Legend/RL, the Vigor/TL and the Integra/RSX. Canada even had an EL/CSX which was basically just a Civic with a better interior. While there's no doubt they made decent cars, none of their cars had anything that brought in higher-class customers. Not only do they lack typical "prestige" options like a V8, RWD/AWD, etc. but they had a limited line-up which consisted of fairly unimpressive cars aside from the NSX. They weren't and still aren't able to appeal to a broad range of customers.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by knavinusa
They weren't and still aren't able to appeal to a broad range of customers.
Interestingly, I think it's the other way around. Acura offers products that appeal to a wide range of customers but exclude those looking for V8, RWD and 80K+ vehicles. This (relative) lack of exclusivity is a limiting factor when looking to enhance 'prestige'
Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco

until the sales numbers of the A6 can even come close to the 5/E and the A8 can come close to the 7/S, then I don't think its so easy to throw around that labeling. Just because Audi sells the $100k+ R8 doesn't mean they're Tier 1. Hell, Acura had a $90,000 pseudo-supercar back in the 90's and nobody considered them even close to BMW/MB/Lexus in terms of prestige, did they?
Sales numbers are not tied to Tier-1 status. NSX was never bought by people of status who are buying R8 around the world. It does not matter how many are sold but rather who are buying it. why do u thing BMW have more losses than Audi? because most of it is sold through leases and there is not enough high end to subsidize.

these are totally different class of people.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:29 AM

Fair enough, but I still believe that the product is more important. What Audi has right now is more than enough to elevate them to "Tier-1". I wouldn't give a crap whether the product had prestige or not; I care about how well the product is made.

Regarding your argument about the NSX: Acura never had a line up even close to its German competitors. MB had their C, E, and S-class, along with the ML, and their AMG models; BMW had the 3, 5, and 7 series and their M models; and Audi had the A4, A6, A8 and S/RS models. Lexus has a similar model line-up minus the performance cars. Do you see what I'm saying? All that's really needed are quality cars that appeal to everyone. The Germans and Lexus can sell all their cars for above 30k MSRP and customers don't go home complaining about how they overpaid for their car.

However, look at Acura back then. They had the Legend/RL, the Vigor/TL and the Integra/RSX. Canada even had an EL/CSX which was basically just a Civic with a better interior. While there's no doubt they made decent cars, none of their cars had anything that brought in higher-class customers. Not only do they lack typical "prestige" options like a V8, RWD/AWD, etc. but they had a limited line-up which consisted of fairly unimpressive cars aside from the NSX. They weren't and still aren't able to appeal to a broad range of customers.
The problem therein lies in your own response. Tier 1 isn't necessarily all quality, reliability and performance. Its about brand perception. Sure, some of those things can factor in, whether justifiable or not.

A lot of people my age always talk about "upgrading to a Bimmer or a Benzo". Rarely do they end up going from a BMW or MB to an Acura or even an Audi. Its usually the other way around. and as Colin said, they do have a range of products to appeal to most customers in every niche, nook and cranny especially now that they're coming out with the ZDX, I guess for the middle-aged empty nester or up-and-coming young professional that wants a sedan with an elevated driving position or whatever. They just don't appeal to the luxury-high-performance segment (a la AMG, M as mentioned) quite yet, and while Audi does have those models now, Lexus never has, until the IS-F... and even then Lexus has always been mentioned as Tier 1 for as long as I've ever heard that term used.

I too could care less about prestige or brands but from my experience, the reality is people don't consider Audi in the same league as the big 3 yet, and they sure as hell don't consider Acura there yet either. If anything I'm the last one to care about brands, hell I went from an Acura to a Chevy and I'm very happy with my decision. Audi is close, but not quite there yet. Maybe another new generation of cars as good or better than the line-up they have now, and they'll be considered up there.

I show as little bias as possible when I cross shop for people like my mom... I try to show her models from the popular brands like say, the RL (pre-beak), 5-series, A6, E-Class, GS, CTS, Genesis, etc. since she wants a mid-size luxury sedan. She says the RL is too big but the A6, E-Class and 5-series are nice She didn't know about the A6 before I showed her, and she liked it, but she was worried about the reliability.... and now every time she brings up a new car prospect, its ALWAYS either the 5-series or the E-Class.

Its just the perception of the everyday car buyer and in part what the media says. The general populace thinks the German brands are high quality but unreliable. The difference is that with BMW and MB, you'll still see people come in droves to buy up their models like hotcakes... meanwhile Audi struggles with the mid-level and upper-end models compared to BMW/MB, just like Acura always has.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=325
Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 AM

Sales numbers are not tied to Tier-1 status. NSX was never bought by people of status who are buying R8 around the world. It does not matter how many are sold but rather who are buying it. why do u thing BMW have more losses than Audi? because most of it is sold through leases and there is not enough high end to subsidize.

these are totally different class of people.
What in the world are you talking about? I'm pretty sure the "Tier 1" branding is used exclusively here in the US market. As you'll read in many articles, the big 3 of MB, BMW and Lexus are regarded as Tier 1.... and I don't know as a matter of fact but I doubt Lexus has much of a foothold in Germany especially compared to the German brands.

It just goes with well, what I define as Tier 1 status. It seems that Tier 1 represents desirability among ordinary car buyers. People are leasing BMWs even though they're out of their budget.... what does that tell you? Not to mention sometimes leasing is a better option than buying for those in the market.

Why would it even matter who buys it? I don't care about car sales numbers in general, but it doesn't matter every oil sheik and his eldest son next in line to inherit the empire and Bill Gates, Michael Jordan and Jerry Seinfeld owns one. If the A8 sells 100 a month next to the S-Class which sells 1,000 a month.... something is off.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Safety Car

What in the world are you talking about? I'm pretty sure the "Tier 1" branding is used exclusively here in the US market. As you'll read in many articles, the big 3 of MB, BMW and Lexus are regarded as Tier 1.... and I don't know as a matter of fact but I doubt Lexus has much of a foothold in Germany especially compared to the German brands.
show me where it is written only those three are Tier-1?. The picture of Audi was not from Germany. but from Middleast.
It just goes with well, what I define as Tier 1 status. It seems that Tier 1 represents desirability among ordinary car buyers. People are leasing BMWs even though they're out of their budget.... what does that tell you? Not to mention sometimes leasing is a better option than buying for those in the market.
Ordinary buyers are tight fisted. how can they afford gas for AWD platforms? or buy overpriced 4cylinder cars. it is not that leasing is better. it degrades the brand.
Why would it even matter who buys it? I don't care about car sales numbers in general, but it doesn't matter every oil sheik and his eldest son next in line to inherit the empire and Bill Gates, Michael Jordan and Jerry Seinfeld owns one. If the A8 sells 100 a month next to the S-Class which sells 1,000 a month.... something is off.
U know. dollar has deprecaiated compared to Euro by alot. So it is logical that dollar billionairs will be more in Middleast/EU/Asia where wealth is concentrated among few.

Look at who is buying Audis. In society where any thing other than MB/RollsRoyce was not recognized since British Raj. and where what Bollywood rides. rest of India follows. thats the reason next Q5 factory is in India. It is the prestige that is driving the sales not Value
http://www.bollycurry.com/news/talk-...te-audi-q7.htm
Ajay Devgan gifts his wife a white Audi Q7
here is another one.
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...6-35584185_ITM
In the middle of it, veiled from onlookers by moving vehicles and densely tinted glass, rides Vladimir Putin, the Russian leader, in a custom-made black Audi with the license plate 007.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by msl82 #2
show me where it is written only those three are Tier-1?. The picture of Audi was not from Germany. but from Middleast.

Ordinary buyers are tight fisted. how can they afford gas for AWD platforms? or buy overpriced 4cylinder cars. it is not that leasing is better. it degrades the brand.

U know. dollar has deprecaiated compared to Euro by alot. So it is logical that dollar billionairs will be more in Middleast/EU/Asia where wealth is concentrated among few.

Look at who is buying Audis. In society where any thing other than MB/RollsRoyce was not recognized since British Raj. and where what Bollywood rides. rest of India follows. thats the reason next Q5 factory is in India. It is the prestige that is driving the sales not Value

here is another one.
Sigh.... why did I even show your post to begin with

It doesn't mean jackshit if some oil sheik from the al-Qadrashimalihajihadibaden region just bought himself an R8, TT and S8. If those are the ONLY cars Audi sells the whole month..... you get where I'm going with this?

When you google: "Audi Tier 1" without the quotation marks, it posts a bunch of articles and threads talking about how Audi is becoming closer and closer to Tier 1 and/or that they're not quite there yet. If you go on other forums you'll also generally see that BMW, MB and Lexus are the top 3 most common picks for Tier 1 brands. And no, nobody cares that the nephew of the owner of the first Veyron Pur Sang owns an Audi.

Back on the ignore list where you belonged. Hopefully the next time someone quotes you and I have to see it anyway, its something useful. And besides.... despite this rock-hard-on for Audi that you're proud to show EVERYONE in every thread.... you have a TSX. If I ever do refer to you in the future, it will be by the name msl82 #2.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Burning Brakes

A lot of people my age always talk about "upgrading to a Bimmer or a Benzo". Rarely do they end up going from a BMW or MB to an Acura or even an Audi. Its usually the other way around.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Interestingly enough, I have seen a fair number of MB owners that want an Audi as a second car. Seldom do they cross-shop an Acura or even a Lexus. Maybe it has more to do with driving characteristics, but it proves that there are people who do consider Audi as a good supplement to their so-called Tier-1 car.

Originally Posted by Colin
Interestingly, I think it's the other way around. Acura offers products that appeal to a wide range of customers but exclude those looking for V8, RWD and 80K+ vehicles. This (relative) lack of exclusivity is a limiting factor when looking to enhance 'prestige'
But Lexus has only recently come up with one car that costs over 80k (LS600h) and yet the brand has had prestige for a pretty long time. RWD/AWD and V8 and larger engines (reliability is not likely to be much of a factor - just look at MB/BMW's record) probably have more to do with it. Also, I'd argue that Acura doesn't really appeal to most people. Their top selling cars were the TL and the TSX now that the RSX is gone, and with their current line-up they're probably selling mostly SUVs, save for some people who like the new designs on their other offerings. The RL was never really that popular, and it doesn't truly feel like a flagship car considering its underwhelming V6 and FF-based AWD, at least compared to other luxury flagship cars, although it is fairly expensive. I mean, the RL seems more appropriate as competition to the 5-series, E-class, A6 and GS in terms of size and performance, which aren't even flagship cars. That doesn't exactly help Acura's brand image.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:19 AM
Burning Brakes

If I ever do refer to you in the future, it will be by the name msl82 #2.
That's what I was thinking as well. Except msl82 at least gives credit where its due, instead of claiming that Audi is even comparable to Ferrari or Lamborghini. Hell, I don't think any of the cars from any of the tier-1 brands can compare except for perhaps the highest powered cars (M5, SL/CL/McLaren AMGs, RS6) because they're incredibly exclusive and perform on a much higher level. I say the same for Aston Martin, since they sell cars to only the wealthiest customers.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

1 million luxury cars sold in 2008? Audi A8, Audi TT, Audi A5, Audi R8, Audi Q7 are not Tier1?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. Interestingly enough, I have seen a fair number of MB owners that want an Audi as a second car. Seldom do they cross-shop an Acura or even a Lexus.
Funny, I work with several people who were thrilled to get rid of their MB/BMW and get a Lexus. I agree that Acura isn't cross-shopped by people looking at the Germans, but I would say Lexus definitely is.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Safety Car

Sigh.... why did I even show your post to begin with

It doesn't mean jackshit if some oil sheik from the al-Qadrashimalihajihadibaden region just bought himself an R8, TT and S8. If those are the ONLY cars Audi sells the whole month..... you get where I'm going with this?
Oil Sheiks are just one part of customers. what about the rest? All the the movie and sport stars. or should i start from British soccer. This is the kind of people who dont need lease deals. the buy what they like.

When you google: "Audi Tier 1" without the quotation marks, it posts a bunch of articles and threads talking about how Audi is becoming closer and closer to Tier 1 and/or that they're not quite there yet. If you go on other forums you'll also generally see that BMW, MB and Lexus are the top 3 most common picks for Tier 1 brands. And no, nobody cares that the nephew of the owner of the first Veyron Pur Sang owns an Audi.
You can pretty much ignore those articles as Facts on ground dont support it. Automaker privilige status is defined by its customers.
Back on the ignore list where you belonged. Hopefully the next time someone quotes you and I have to see it anyway, its something useful. And besides.... despite this rock-hard-on for Audi that you're proud to show EVERYONE in every thread.... you have a TSX. If I ever do refer to you in the future, it will be by the name msl82 #2.
quite nice logic. when Fiat wants to buy Chrysler (or is it merger). it got it for free. where was the Ferrari money?. VW delievered $10b of Audi cash for Porsche. A company that dont have money will lose its status symbol in 21st century. You cannot burn the banks supporting failed industries and failed projects.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Oil Sheiks are just one part of customers. what about the rest? All the the movie and sport stars. or should i start from British soccer. This is the kind of people who dont need lease deals. the buy what they like.
Get your head out of the sand. Just like Audi provides cars to the studios to put them in movies and TV shows, they provide them to stars/athletes, either free or at a ridiculous discount, to drive around in. It's called advertising and sales promotion.

And besides, who gives a fuck what movie stars and athletes drive? Yes, a lot of stupid people think those people and what they do/think matters, but anyone with a brain (granted, a slim portion of the world's population) doesn't care. The fact that you keep bringing it up makes me think you're quite enamored with those rich and famous types...how truly sad.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
IMO, Lexus still hasn't reached the same level as BMW and MB in the US. They are the closest ones, but they are not at eye level. Worldwide though, I tend to agree that BMW and MB are still tier one but Audi is very close behind and closing the gap quickly. I don't even consider Lexus in the worldwide equation.

Edit: I just realized this thread title was about Acura news, WTH happened?

Last edited by VTEC Racer; 09-10-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Really, you need to ask? Why are we always talking about Audi?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

No kidding. After I posted my last comment, I went to the main off topic page where I noticed I was the most recent poster in the Acura thread. Knowing I had just read a good deal about and posted about Audi, I was momentarily confused...thought I had somehow accidentally posted in the wrong thread.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I mean, the RL seems more appropriate as competition to the 5-series, E-class, A6 and GS in terms of size and performance, which aren't even flagship cars. That doesn't exactly help Acura's brand image.
This is exactly who Acura targets. Back in 2005 they had the 5, A6 and E320 on hand for us to test drive and compare. They have never stated that the RL was to compete with S Class, 7's and A8s. This is why I said that the product is designed to hit the wider 80% that are V6 powered and not the 20% with larger drivetrains.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this is about Acura strategy it is CLEAR who they think is Tier 1 and who are the big dogs, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Lexus. If you talk to most people or if we look at any survey the last decade, its the same, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Lexus......

Seems Acura thinks Tier 1 is BMW, Benz, Lexus.....to a lesser extend Audi...Audi has the product, not the image or desirability

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/02/a...ld-be-revived/

Acura wants to assure dealers that its plan to become a Tier 1 luxury brand – able to hang with Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Lexus – is still underway. But according to Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., the key to playing with the big boys isn't limited to what's on showroom floors. Colliver told Automotive News, "Being a premium luxury brand is not just about product. It's the way dealers handle customers. You've got to earn your way into the segment. You don't necessarily have to have a $90,000 sedan to get there."

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/02/18...only-vehicles/

“We’re not up there with Lexus, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, but a big shift is coming,” Voyles said. “You’ll see more separation of the brands (Acura and Honda), with more Acura-only product.”

http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...NA05/901260301

This was to be the year Acura began wholeheartedly pursuing Tier 1 luxury status — joining the ranks of Lexus and Mercedes-Benz.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
1 million luxury cars sold in 2008? Audi A8, Audi TT, Audi A5, Audi R8, Audi Q7 are not Tier1?
LOL....I know I know.

You have to remember though that Tier 1 really has no definition so basically anyone can interpret it anyway they like.

As i posted earlier, the A8 has been outselling BMW and MB flagship in other parts of the world for several years now and Audi is outselling BMW and MB in Europe this year. So i guess BMW and MB are only tier 1 in NA and not anywhere else in the world

We could also look at Halo vehicles as they represent the elite for a manufacture. Audi and MB are the only ones that have them as BMW and Lexus are developing theirs so i guess BMW and Lexus aren't Tier 1 in NA either ........starting to see how you can manipulate this.

I can see as enthusiasts how we may look at sales numbers and play into how a manufacture is perceived, but when you look globally and even listen to executives from BMW etc that openly admit to Audi being on par with them you can see where they stand.

The general public also looks at it differently and here is an interesting link on a very small survey of people to show that.

http://autoheadlines.blogspot.com/20...ous-brand.html

I asked the same question at work the other day and generally got the same responses with the exception of Jaguar and Lexus varying on status location. (and some not even knowing what Maybach was)
Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
^ Most places outside of North America dont think of BMW, Audi, or MB as highly as we do. They are like Chevys to them.

Hell in Germany they use Audi as a taxi for the most part. There are tons all over the place.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:31 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,258 Likes on 2,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
^ Most places outside of North America dont think of BMW, Audi, or MB as highly as we do. They are like Chevys to them.

Hell in Germany they use Audi as a taxi for the most part. There are tons all over the place.
And in Europe some US models are coveted, I was in Monaco in 1993 and saw a Corvette in a GM dealer with a list price of $75K (converted from ~$350K Francs). I thought who would pay that much for a pushrod engined car when a 928 was about the same in cost.

Never saw a Audi taxi, but when I was in Munich rode in a 5 series taxi, and saw some E-class taxi's.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Get your head out of the sand. Just like Audi provides cars to the studios to put them in movies and TV shows, they provide them to stars/athletes, either free or at a ridiculous discount, to drive around in. It's called advertising and sales promotion.
I fully undertand providing cars to Movies or Red carpet. Every manufacturer tries to do it. but here it is highly customized every day vehicles for personal use. bottom line is cash flow. A company freely distributing cars cant have cash and money for R&D.
most of vehicles delivered to governments of Germany/Russia/China and whole host of others are special armoured plated. Government vehicles are much more roughly used and alot heavier. It is tremendous reliability of Audi over other prestige manufacture that give it this position. Guess who were the Vehicle provider for NATO summit in Prague?
And besides, who gives a fuck what movie stars and athletes drive? Yes, a lot of stupid people think those people and what they do/think matters, but anyone with a brain (granted, a slim portion of the world's population) doesn't care. The fact that you keep bringing it up makes me think you're quite enamored with those rich and famous types...how truly sad.
These people have the choice to buy anything. and these are not only ones. there are royalty/businessmen.
Queen of England will ride in car essentialy built with Audi platform and soon Audi diesel. Audi is the influence on other Tier 1 manufacturers like Lambo/Bentley/Prosche. Honda can only dream for this status in heavens.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/12/r...-turbo-diesel/
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda Fanboy

Really, you need to ask? Why are we always talking about Audi?
LOL. I know why. I was just trying to say it without actually saying it.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL. I know why. I was just trying to say it without actually saying it.
Hmm, maybe we can say it without saying it? There's an Audiot amongst us....
Old 09-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Honda Fanboy

Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,258 Likes on 2,630 Posts
Hey I love that term, sorry I didn't think of it. Not to keep repeating to myself, stay on topic, stay on topic...
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
'Audiot'....very funny Colin.

Even more funny that we all know who you are talking about. Mods should note that the 'Audiot' was doing the same sort of thing in the TSX forums.

He's on my ignore list.

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News