Acura: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by theslik1
I have a 2004 TL which is a great car for what it tries to accomplish IMHO. I'm very happy with it. However, it will be my third and last Honda automobile considering Acura's current strategy (or lack thereof). They simply aren't sending a very coherent or consistent message to consumers. Their continuing reticence towards developing RWD platforms and engines larger than 6 cylinders is mystifying, but those mental blocks aren't anything new. Remember Honda's reluctance to put a V6 in the Accord? Toyota was more than happy to pick up their slack with the V6 Camry.

Bottom line, what is Acura's real answer to the 3-series/IS/G? Oh, my bad, apparently they don't have to produce an answer because none of those are direct competitors.

Better yet, what will their answer be to the 1-series? -10 if anybody answers "TSX", even with a turbo...

P.S. The Accord sedan redesign is pure shit. Pure. Shit.
Admittedly with the exception of maybe the 6G coupe, the styling on Honda Accords after the 5G has been mediocre at best. However, that has not seem to hurt sales in the least....and volume is the name of the game in the Accord's segment. And I do not think the 8G will be any less of a sales success....particularly as prices have not increased by much (exc. discounts) and it does appear to be a more substantial car than the current model (of which I am a satisfied owner).

..and I do recall Honda's resistance to equipping the Accord with the V6 motor (notably, a recycled C27A from the 1G Legend). Reference for those who may not know: Honda designed the 5G solely for use with the F22B motor but the market demand for a V6 was too strong to ignore....resulting in Honda having the stretch the 5G's front end by 3" to accomodate the C27A motor. Though the 5G debuted for the 1994 model year, the V6 model debuted in the 1995 modely year. (Honda was similarly resistant to SUVs as well, badging the Isuzu built Passport and SLX as Honda/Acura until they could catch up with the Pilot and MDX...which were fairly successful if not impressive first attempts.)

Putting aside ultraluxury, if Honda comes to the premium game I think they will compete and compare VERY well.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:13 PM
whut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Admittedly with the exception of maybe the 6G coupe, the styling on Honda Accords after the 5G has been mediocre at best. However, that has not seem to hurt sales in the least....and volume is the name of the game in the Accord's segment. And I do not think the 8G will be any less of a sales success....particularly as prices have not increased by much (exc. discounts) and it does appear to be a more substantial car than the current model (of which I am a satisfied owner).

..and I do recall Honda's resistance to equipping the Accord with the V6 motor (notably, a recycled C27A from the 1G Legend). Reference for those who may not know: Honda designed the 5G solely for use with the F22B motor but the market demand for a V6 was too strong to ignore....resulting in Honda having the stretch the 5G's front end by 3" to accomodate the C27A motor. Though the 5G debuted for the 1994 model year, the V6 model debuted in the 1995 modely year. (Honda was similarly resistant to SUVs as well, badging the Isuzu built Passport and SLX as Honda/Acura until they could catch up with the Pilot and MDX...which were fairly successful if not impressive first attempts.)

Putting aside ultraluxury, if Honda comes to the premium game I think they will compete and compare VERY well.
I have no doubt the new Accord will sell, but damn is it ever ugly. I'm glad you mentioned their resistance to SUV's. It seems that Honda has a rich history of resistance to market trends, which is ironic given that they tend to compete very well once they "give in". I just wish Acura would hurry up and give in on RWD platforms and V8 engines.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:14 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I A4 and S40 come in AWD or FWD.
For the A4, only the 2L turbo I-4 has a choice of FWD or Quattro AWD. The torquey 3.2L V6 is only available with Quattro AWD, because all car manufacturers (Honda included) know it's very difficult to tune a high hp, high torque FWD car for good handling dynamics.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
whut

Originally Posted by Ikko
Oh Sh*t, are you the reincarnation of 1SICKLEX?!
I don't think so. I test drove an IS350 recently and came away decidedly unimpressed. Lexus makes a great appliance, however.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:17 PM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by importtuner
Wow lots of disappointed Acura owners here.
Have you owned one with an AT?

Joking...but not entirely.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never thought Horsepower was the reason that kept the TSX from sales...
I never thought the TSX had sales problems...

Honda was similarly resistant to SUVs as well, badging the Isuzu built Passport and SLX as Honda/Acura until they could catch up with the Pilot and MDX...which were fairly successful if not impressive first attempts.
If the MDX wasn't impressive for you when it came out, I don't think you should even be looking in the <60k market.

And to further rile the thread, I think the 8G looks better than the 6G and I loved the 6G. My 6G sedan was my only new car purchase, in fact.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Sorry, but . The 1 is comparable in size to the E46 3-series coupe (4-5 inches shorter overall and slightly taller) so it won't be tiny by any stretch.
It's not competing against an E46 3-series though. And personally, if I didn't need a family car I'd be all over the 135, so I don't have any bias against it, I just don't think it's a car that Acura needs to worry about. What they SHOULD worry about competing against is the 3-series and 5-series.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM
whut

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
It's not competing against an E46 3-series though. And personally, if I didn't need a family car I'd be all over the 135, so I don't have any bias against it, I just don't think it's a car that Acura needs to worry about. What they SHOULD worry about competing against is the 3-series and 5-series.
I was strictly comparing size, and making the point that the 1-series will not be a tiny car. You are correct that *maybe* Acura doesn't need to worry about the 128/135, but given the repeated incoherence of their public statements you have to wonder about their overall corporate focus and level of aggression. Who exactly are they worried about? They're not in a position to blithely dismiss potential competition. It seems that they can learn a few things from Hyundai in this regard.

The bottom line (for me) is that Acura currently offers nothing to move up to...or down to, a la 1-series...from the TL and that's why they're losing me as a repeat customer.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:12 PM
6G TLX-S

I was strictly comparing size, and making the point that the 1-series will not be a tiny car. You are correct that *maybe* Acura doesn't need to worry about the 128/135, but given the repeated incoherence of their public statements you have to wonder about their overall corporate focus and level of aggression. Who exactly are they worried about? They're not in a position to blithely dismiss potential competition. It seems that they can learn a few things from Hyundai in this regard.

The bottom line (for me) is that Acura currently offers nothing to move up to...or down to, a la 1-series...from the TL and that's why they're losing me as a repeat customer.
In Canada, there's this CSX Type-S to take care of the 1-series. So the TL can remain focus on the 3-series.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
In Canada, there's this CSX Type-S to take care of the 1-series. So the TL can remain focus on the 3-series.
Shouldn't the TL be in competition with the 5 series and the TSX be in competition with the 3 series.

That's what I always assumed their lineup competed with.

Doesn't make sense that the larger TL is pitted against the smaller 3 series even though that does happen.

To have two models from one manufacturer go up against one model of another seems to me to be poor product design/marketing.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Shouldn't the TL be in competition with the 5 series and the TSX be in competition with the 3 series.

Doesn't make sense that the larger TL is pitted against the smaller 3 series even though that does happen.

To have two models from one manufacturer go up against one model of another seems to me to be poor product design/marketing.
The TL and TSX compete against the two version of the 3-series. Not the best idea, but the amount of platform sharing between the two cars means that from a cost sharing standpoint, the difference is nominal.

The RL is the car that is currently set to compete again the 5-series.

And the 3-series always competes against larger cars such as the CTS, G35, etc. In fact, even the TSX is larger than the 3-series in a lot of interior volume dimensions.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:06 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
The TL and TSX compete against the two version of the 3-series. Not the best idea, but the amount of platform sharing between the two cars means that from a cost sharing standpoint, the difference is nominal.

The RL is the car that is currently set to compete again the 5-series.

And the 3-series always competes against larger cars such as the CTS, G35, etc. In fact, even the TSX is larger than the 3-series in a lot of interior volume dimensions.

for the sake of comparisons, acura is all over the place.

that's why it amazes me when a maker like lexus can make all sorts of models to compare with just about anything.

is vs. 3-series, a4, tsx, tl, g35, c-class
es vs. tl
gs vs. rl, m, 5-series, e-class,a8
ls vs. 7-series, s-class, a8
etc.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal

Size-wise, the TSX is in the same size class as the 3-series, and the TL the 5-series. Unfortunately, price-wise the TL is pitted directly against the more expensive but smaller 3-series and C-class, and this is exactly why car magazines and car review columns always do so. It's like when you have $35K to spend on a car, this is what you can buy on the market for around that price.

Keep in mind that a car manufacturer doesn't need to build a car for the purpose of going directly against another competitor model. So the TSX can be viewed as competing with "lower than 3-series model" or entry level 3-series model, and the TL as competing with top-of-the-line 3-series model or "between 3- & 5-series model". The TSX and the TL are two vastly different cars, the first focused on handling and the latter on power. Whereas the 3-series has a boat-load of engine choices to choose from, unlike the Acuras. Since both TSX and TL are selling well, the design/marketing execution is not considered poor at all.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Found this at the end of an articial about interest rates:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070831/...dc_1&printer=1

"I think you will see a very different Acura in the next three to four years," he said, declining to add further details.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Found this at the end of an articial about interest rates:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070831/...dc_1&printer=1

And that may be around when I'll be buying a new car. AWD coupe a la 3.5L and lotsa vroom vroom please?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:34 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah

And that may be around when I'll be buying a new car. RWD coupe a la 4.5L and lotsa vroom vroom please?
Fixed
Old 09-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Just thinking aloud:

When asked if Honda would be interested in buying Ford Motor Co's (F.N) Jaguar and Volvo luxury brands, which Ford has said it might sell, Mendel said Honda would continue to grow organically and is not interested in buying other brands.
Conceptually, I guess a Jaguar acquisition could make sense if Honda wanted to upmarket that brand to the ultraluxury level (goodbye X-type). But then again, it still would not do much for the Acura brand's current place. 'A' still needs to come before 'B'.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:26 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by F23A4
Conceptually, I guess a Jaguar acquisition could make sense if Honda wanted to upmarket that brand to the ultraluxury level (goodbye X-type). But then again, it still would not do much for the Acura brand's current place. 'A' still needs to come before 'B'.
Jaguar is a dying species - this also applies to Jaguar Motor Co. The Jaguar factories are way too inefficient, the labour cost zooming, the products questionable, and the reliability way too low. If Honda were to bought out Jaguar, it would only drag Honda to the grave. Just see the results of Daimler taking over Chrysler. From "buying" to dumping, Daimler has lost billions of $.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

In any event, Honda has to deal with the Acura brand first.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bringing back the CL and expanding the Acura line?

I'd be happy if half of this were true

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/a...future-lineup/
Old 09-24-2007, 01:04 PM
I can't find my garage

oh man..if they bring back the CL~ itll be aweasome. a Huge impact on sports coupes. right now, the G35 is collecting all the marbles in that category. acura should bring it back to compete against it.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

...as well as a RWD V8 sedan.
Flying Pigs
Old 09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
Originally Posted by mltk53
oh man..if they bring back the CL~ itll be aweasome. a Huge impact on sports coupes. right now, the G35, 3-series coupe, and likely the A5 are collecting all the marbles in that category. acura should bring it back to compete against it.
Fixed.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Instructor

there is some fierce competition right now w/ the G37 ..3 series coupes ...etc.. Acura better come out firing if they want to stay alive..
Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

According to the article, the only vehicle that will have RWD is a V8 sedan.....
Looks like the CL is headed for FWD...or at best AWD.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I'd be happy if half of this were true

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/a...future-lineup/
+1.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Moderator

There's been talk about a CL (sub-nsx) replacement for about as long as I can remember:

http://www.vtec.net/modelmatrix/ (scroll to the bottom of the list).

I'd love to see it happen, but Acura just takes too damn long for product development. Maybe in the future they might have something that interests me in their line up.... But when will that be, 2014 ??
Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Go Big Blue!

It's true. Watching Acura "advance" their product line is like watching grass grow. It's painful.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
It's true. Watching Acura "advance" their product line is like watching grass grow. It's painful.
We'll see some advancement in '08, but don't really know exactly how much yet...
Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM

Maybe in the future they might have something that interests me in their line up.... But when will that be, 2014 ??
i'm hoping acura will have push starts by then.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:02 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

There's been talk about a CL (sub-nsx) replacement for about as long as I can remember:

http://www.vtec.net/modelmatrix/ (scroll to the bottom of the list).

I'd love to see it happen, but Acura just takes too damn long for product development. Maybe in the future they might have something that interests me in their line up.... But when will that be, 2014 ??
Man will be landing on Mars for the first time when the next Acura CL comes out....and it will still be FWD.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I can't find my garage

LOL!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
i could see a CL replacement being a 2 door TSX with a higher output turbo engine and SH-AWD...
Old 09-25-2007, 06:14 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Its worse...my parents lawn grows so fast it needs to be cut like once a week... so for speed grass> acura
Old 09-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by invisiblewar
Its worse...my parents lawn grows so fast it needs to be cut like once a week... so for speed grass> acura
I thought most lawns grow that fast in spring and early summer, and only slows down where you can get away with cutting it once every 2 weeks later in summer and fall.

BTW my lawn mower is RWD with variable speed control, so I can drift around the yard.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
I thought most lawns grow that fast in spring and early summer, and only slows down where you can get away with cutting it once every 2 weeks later in summer and fall.

BTW my lawn mower is RWD with variable speed control, so I can drift around the yard.
Oh man, I got you beat. Mine is a Dixie Chopper, zero-turn-radius, AWD!!! Their tag line is "Worlds Fastest Lawn Mower......" yea, baby

http://www.dixiechopper.com/home.php#start

I'm waiting for the torque vectoring AWD system to be added in the next refresh. Then I can take turns around the house at 40mph on a slick lawn.

I just hope they don't call it "Super Handling". It will sound as stupid on a lawn mower as it does on a car.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Oh man, I got you beat. Mine is a Dixie Chopper, zero-turn-radius, AWD!!! Their tag line is "Worlds Fastest Lawn Mower......" yea, baby

http://www.dixiechopper.com/home.php#start

I'm waiting for the torque vectoring AWD system to be added in the next refresh. Then I can take turns around the house at 40mph on a slick lawn.

I just hope they don't call it "Super Handling". It will sound as stupid on a lawn mower as it does on a car.
WTF? AWD? So does that mean you can mow the lawn in inclement weather?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

lol....news about a Acura sports coupe and u guys are talking bout lawnmowers

hahahh
Old 09-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

The NSX came out in 1992... And Acura only started developing it's replacement fairly recently (after they decided to discontinue it ??). The reason why Acura isn't doing well as a brand is that their product planning sucks. I could do better... No coupe in the lineup, but they want to be a sporty brand ??

They really need to shit or get off the pot
Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Go Big Blue!

Yep, hard to imagine why they don't offer at least one of their sedans in coupe format. A convertable would be nice but not as critical as a two door. What do they do over there all day? Is anyone steering this ship?

Quick Reply: Acura: Development and Technology News