Head unit problem - Error E1

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004 | 11:19 AM
Pro

Head unit problem - Error E1

I have had trouble with my 6CD head unit locking up on an intermittent basis. The dealer cannot find anything wrong with it as it never seems to malfunction when it is there.

The unit (sometimes) refules to allow access to the CD player and returns the error messge E1. You are unable to play or even eject CD or load CDs when this error message in present.

Anybody had this problem?
Old 05-05-2004 | 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Very common problem... You have to find a trick that works.. For me it was having the car off and turning it to the Acc postition and holding down the Eject button.. Other have said hitting the side of the radio while hitting the eject button.. Someone else mentiond being able to eject the discs with a screwdriver.. Obviously I don't recommend you beating up your radio nor sticking a screw driver in it. You just have to find something that seems to work.. Sux..

It really sucks when the dealer can't duplicate the problem and then tell you it will cost some money to have it repaired and you'll have to go without a radio.. Atleast that's what my dealer told me..

Best of luck and if you find a trick be sure to post it so others may be able to try the same..
Old 05-06-2004 | 09:38 AM
Pro

Jonesi... thanks for the reply! and also for the suggested tricks... I think I will try the less invasive ones first. I will let you know if anything works.
Old 05-06-2004 | 06:28 PM
Pro

Update - Jonesi... Thanks for the tricks - Holding the eject button while turning the key to the accessory position worked. It di a bunch of funny stuff, but seemed to reset itself.

Fortunately did not have to resort to the hammer drill.

Thanks again
Old 05-07-2004 | 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by goredcar
Update - Jonesi... Thanks for the tricks - Holding the eject button while turning the key to the accessory position worked. It di a bunch of funny stuff, but seemed to reset itself.

Fortunately did not have to resort to the hammer drill.

Thanks again
Not a problem..
You know I did that and it did the exact same thing.. Made some weird noises as if it was reseting and/or re-shuffeling the discs and eventually all the errors went away and it was fine..
Old 05-15-2004 | 11:03 AM
Underdog

I have this problem a lot. When mine ejects it gets caught on the upper door flap. I keep a junk CD in my center console that I use to push up on the flap and the cd comes right out without scratching everything up. You have to catch it while its doing it though. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2004 | 09:12 PM
Intermediate

I have this same problem intermittently, it's nice that error E1 doesn't appear in the manual.
It usually goes away in a day, or an hour, or 3 days, I never know. But it does piss me off.

I will try this in the morning, and report my results.
Old 06-05-2004 | 09:40 AM
Racer

What brand headunits do you all have? Is this a common problem for all headunits or is there a certain brand that does it more than others? I havn't had this problem, and hopefully never will, but I am wondering if I should anticipate it.