DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
As for the new iPod's we have a stack of each and every iPod that came out, both model and HDD size so I'll let you know what the story is on those, again tomorrow or the next day. However, I'm 90% certain there will be ZERO problems.

Ok, thanks!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ya so i got the 160 gig.. plugged it in. i was excited.. until!
it locked. and does not unlock.. is there a dip switch i can change???????
Old 09-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vthree
ya so i got the 160 gig.. plugged it in. i was excited.. until!
it locked. and does not unlock.. is there a dip switch i can change???????

Yeaaaa, that was what happened to us. They changed the software without prior notification. For the time being it looks like it's gonna remain locked, just like the iPhone is. We are looking into what we can do about it and talking to Apple as well, but for now you can have control from your headunit or the iPod, but not both. This applies to the new Nano and I'm sure the iTouch as well.

Good news is it looks like we have a fix for the startup issue, we are going send out a few units to some beta users for some feedback.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Good news is it looks like we have a fix for the startup issue, we are going send out a few units to some beta users for some feedback.

Please be patient. Thank you.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:53 PM
2006 ASM tsx

lol ya.. i got it to where i can control it now.. but now it says no info.. =(. lol
also found that you can reset ur ipod just like the iphone and it works.. =)
Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Racer

lol ya.. i got it to where i can control it now.. but now it says no info.. =(. lol
also found that you can reset ur ipod just like the iphone and it works.. =)
how exactly did you reset it?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Advanced

Man i hope the new units fix the startup... thats all that is really holding me back...

BTW i was wondering if maybe the initial poster can post like a FAQ and updated status on this product....
example

Q Can i use all my buttons on my steering wheel with this ipod...
A yes

Q Can i use my ipod when its connected
A no

Q What info do i see on the radio non navi as opposed to the nav

Q Is there a way to set Random (Shuffle) and Repeat modes from the car

Q Is there a way to set Random (Shuffle) and Repeat modes on the ipod instead of from the car

Q What is up with this startup freeze thing
A currently the ipod doenst start up at first but a restart of the car usually fixes it
there is a fix in progress

Q What is the difference between the HD-Honda and the I-Honda
and which R would i need R3 or R4
A The HD kit includes HD radio but requires an add on iPod cable. The i-Honda-R kit is iPod only.

etc...
Old 09-14-2007, 01:07 AM
2006 ASM tsx

how exactly did you reset it?
1) toggle hold on and then off
2) press center button + menu for 6-10 seconds..
ipod will reset..

this worked the first few times.... then
it worked completely i could control.. but my dice kit continued to display no info... =(..... womp womp womp.. i wish i didnt open my ipod now.. may have to switch back to my acura musiclink... but it'll be a pain to switch thru 79gigs of music with a tts voice.

=(.. i wish i could be of more help... [im pretty impatient..] lol =/ i even tried editing the music menu.. by making it look exactly like the 5gens.. but that had absolutely no effect (i thougt maybe the cover flow was killing it.)

i hope apple helps us out.. maybe even makes a firmware upgrade.. but thats pretty doubtful... [[btw. before i got my 160gig i told the apple guy about the dice kit.. and he was very surprised to hear bout it.. lol gave him the site and he was amazed.. even tho he was a store mgr. i doubt he can have that much impact.. but most likely he'll try to get one for his x3. ha]

anyhow. great product! just wish it was 6gen compatible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dice has been great. and im sure we'll figure out something soon!
Old 09-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Advanced

I dont know if they come with it now but do the dice kits come with a way to update the software on them....... this would be helpful since new ipod/iphone come out all the time and all we have to do is update the software on it for it to work.. or if dice adds any new features we can update our device
Eddie
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cytomax
I dont know if they come with it now but do the dice kits come with a way to update the software on them....... this would be helpful since new ipod/iphone come out all the time and all we have to do is update the software on it for it to work.. or if dice adds any new features we can update our device
Eddie
You have to send it in for updates. And honestly, this isn't a big deal. Before this latest batch of iPod's, we've been running the same iPod software for nearly 3 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Cruisin'

That's great, looking forward to the fixed version.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

ANy luck on the new nano's?

You have to send it in for updates. And honestly, this isn't a big deal. Before this latest batch of iPod's, we've been running the same iPod software for nearly 3 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Nick, just wondering if you found that resetting the new nano once it is connected allows you to use the ipod to access your music....i really dont care if it displays info on the head unit as long as i can navigate and select music with my ipod.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kiddvid
Nick, just wondering if you found that resetting the new nano once it is connected allows you to use the ipod to access your music....i really dont care if it displays info on the head unit as long as i can navigate and select music with my ipod.
Yes it will. For those who don't know how to do this, hold the middle and menu key for 5 seconds and it will reboot the pod.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 PM
2006 ASM tsx

old news.. sigh i miss having both control + text... do you think we'll have to get a new unit for this feature???
Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Racer

old news.. sigh i miss having both control + text... do you think we'll have to get a new unit for this feature???
Control from the new iPod's without having to do the reset? Kinda doubt it. We were never supposed to be able to do it in the first place & Apple's good at fixing their security holes. BUT you never know what could happen.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:22 PM
2006 ASM tsx

bah i wanna sell this 160 gig now.. lol
damn.. one of the big reasons i bought it. lol actually the only reason was to stick it in my tsx. =/

ouch. big loss.

what's apple's response so far? is there any way you can pm me info about what all needs to be changed? i'm also on a big ipod forum and i can try posting up some questions up there for all the people who love to MOD ipods. =)... [i'm desparate here.]
Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Racer

Apple has no response. They never gave their approval nor disapproval at what we do. Because no matter what we do sells more iPods. I honestly don't know what needs to be changed - but it's an interesting idea. I'll see if the company is open to the idea of making it a community project. I doubt it since making a profit off a community endeavor is a gray area in the law these days.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.5gen ipod and dice w/08 tsx?

I'm hoping to order an 08 tsx soon, and wanted to get a few questions answered on the dice ipod kit with a 5.5gen ipod..

- Has anyone confirmed the dice kit to work with an '08 w/nav?

- When the ipod is connected via the dice interface, I'm gathering that you can control the ipod using both the head unit and steering wheel controls as well as using the ipod interface directly.. i.e., the problems associated with the new iPod classic are not present with the 5.5gen ipod?

- How responsive is the track +/- control for controlling the ipod? A friend of mine just installed an Alpine 9887 head unit and used the PAC SWI adapter to get steering wheel controls, and I was a bit disappointed at the lag between the steering wheel control and the head unit, so I'm hoping the dice adapter is much more responsive.

- If I were to disable the XM input in order to get text on the Nav screen, how long does it take for the track name to appear once a track has been selected?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by cwinterrowd
I'm hoping to order an 08 tsx soon, and wanted to get a few questions answered on the dice ipod kit with a 5.5gen ipod..

- Has anyone confirmed the dice kit to work with an '08 w/nav?

- When the ipod is connected via the dice interface, I'm gathering that you can control the ipod using both the head unit and steering wheel controls as well as using the ipod interface directly.. i.e., the problems associated with the new iPod classic are not present with the 5.5gen ipod?

- How responsive is the track +/- control for controlling the ipod? A friend of mine just installed an Alpine 9887 head unit and used the PAC SWI adapter to get steering wheel controls, and I was a bit disappointed at the lag between the steering wheel control and the head unit, so I'm hoping the dice adapter is much more responsive.

- If I were to disable the XM input in order to get text on the Nav screen, how long does it take for the track name to appear once a track has been selected?
I have! It works perfectly with the 08's!
The older iPod's are unlocked. I'd like to point out that the current gen iPod's being locked is not a 'problem' it's exact what Apple intended to happen.
The response is pretty much instant. The text depends alot on the length of the title of the song. It usually takes a second or 2.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Advanced

08/dice startup issue?

I have! It works perfectly with the 08's!
The older iPod's are unlocked. I'd like to point out that the current gen iPod's being locked is not a 'problem' it's exact what Apple intended to happen.
The response is pretty much instant. The text depends alot on the length of the title of the song. It usually takes a second or 2.
Thanks for the quick response, Nick!

One other question - did the '08 ever have the "start up issue" that is being described here (problems resuming play when the ignition is turned on).. was that a firmware issue with the dice unit, or something with the specific revision of head unit, and has there been any report of this issue cropping up with the '08?
Old 09-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cwinterrowd
Thanks for the quick response, Nick!

One other question - did the '08 ever have the "start up issue" that is being described here (problems resuming play when the ignition is turned on).. was that a firmware issue with the dice unit, or something with the specific revision of head unit, and has there been any report of this issue cropping up with the '08?
No problem! I never sleep!

It could happen but once we release the code for the 08's the startup issue is going to be all taken care of anyway so it's not going to be an issue anymore. We're trying to time everything out and make one big release.

The problem discription could strech many many pages :o The cliff notes of it all is it's a timing issue, with time being measured in the mili-seconds in this case. We now know exactly where (when?) it is now. It's not gonna be completely gone, but shouldn't happen anymore than once every few months.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Advanced

No problem! I never sleep!

It could happen but once we release the code for the 08's the startup issue is going to be all taken care of anyway so it's not going to be an issue anymore. We're trying to time everything out and make one big release.

The problem discription could strech many many pages :o The cliff notes of it all is it's a timing issue, with time being measured in the mili-seconds in this case. We now know exactly where (when?) it is now. It's not gonna be completely gone, but shouldn't happen anymore than once every few months.
I definitely understand software development and release cycles.

On that note, are you at liberty to provide a rough guestimate on when the kit with the code for the '08 tsx will be released and where to look for DICE to announce the new revision?

I'm definitely in no hurry, but if waiting would keep me from having to open up the dash more than once or twice, I'm happy to wait until it has been declared stable.. I have an 03 RSX and getting all of the dash rattles out has been a nightmare for me that I'd prefer to avoid with a TSX.

Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Racer

I'm hoping for end of this week, maybe next week.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:32 PM
dP-
Instructor

What kind of camera do you have?

BTW folks, we're adding Canadian TSX's to the supported list. Even though they may not have the XM button on the dash, we have success in the 06's and 07's. I expect that it will work in 05's as well with text display.
Nick,

Has an O5 TSX with NAVI been tested to support text as well? If so, which DICE model is required?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Has anyone else experienced occasional interference from the XM even with the antenna in the trunk unplugged?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TSXtaci
Has anyone else experienced occasional interference from the XM even with the antenna in the trunk unplugged?
You have to unplug the harness. Not the antenna. If you unplug the green harness at the XM module it won't even power up.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dP-
Nick,

Has an O5 TSX with NAVI been tested to support text as well? If so, which DICE model is required?

Yes an 05 will work fine - you need a R4 kit.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Advanced

I'm hoping for end of this week, maybe next week.
I'm almost scared to ask but... did the trials go ok? I hope so but if not its ok... I know its tough to program something if you cant test it on the spot...
Thanks in Advance
Eddie
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 AM
Racer

I'm almost scared to ask but... did the trials go ok? I hope so but if not its ok... I know its tough to program something if you cant test it on the spot...
Thanks in Advance
Eddie
I'm uncertain, I've been out of the loop due to a surgery I had last monday.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Advanced

I am very sorry to hear u went through surgery... i hope everything went well with the surgery and you are in good health...
Eddie
Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 PM
4th Gear

08 Tl S

Hope you are feeling better.

Just got the TLS and a new IPOD Classic. Will the DICE work for me (steering wheel control and text)? Could you recommend any installers in the 92596 area?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:00 PM
2006 ASM tsx

sigh.. with the ipod classic + dice.. we still have no text dgilman... i'm not sure if there has been any updates yet.. but you can either a) have control of your ipod. or b)have text displayed..
not both..
i bought a 160gig ipod in the prestages where we thought it was gonna work flawlessly..
opened the sucker up put a few songs.. and tada ipod was locked...
=/
Old 10-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Former Sponsor

sigh.. with the ipod classic + dice.. we still have no text dgilman... i'm not sure if there has been any updates yet.. but you can either a) have control of your ipod. or b)have text displayed..
not both..
i bought a 160gig ipod in the prestages where we thought it was gonna work flawlessly..
opened the sucker up put a few songs.. and tada ipod was locked...
=/
I've been buying 5th gen iPods like WHOA for the past 3 weeks. My customers want nothing to do with the new iPods. These are people that have spent hundreds of dollars to outfit their homes with the latest iPod garb. So they buy a NEW and IMPROVED iPod.... and all their shizz doesn't work!

I have about 2 grand in iPod goodies in my house and cars. I'll be damned if I throw all that away!

I feel ya vthree...... it's a steeming pile of
Old 10-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Cruisin'

I got the new Classic 80g and when I first hooked it up with my DICE it locked but after "rebooting" 5 or 6 times while it was hooked up it unlocked! I now can control the IPOD from the car and the IPOD itself. I have a '05 and I'm not using text because I still have my XM connected.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced

Have we confirmed that the startup issue is gone since everybody is now worried more about which generation ipods work better.........?
Eddie
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Have we confirmed that the startup issue is gone since everybody is now worried more about which generation ipods work better.........?
Eddie
The new release of DICE kit's will not have the startup issue. This new version has not been released yet. Look for it very soon. Hopefully within a couple of weeks.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Advanced

sweet... ill be waiting for the new versions... : )
Old 10-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Instructor

I read all 12 pages and didnt see anything about this...maybe there is no way this would work, or maybe just no one has wanted/thought to have it this way...

i must keep xm...have gotten attached to news and comedy...

i understand the headunit is limited to only having txt on the sat input. Now i dont understand exactly how "CDC" works, but i assume its the CD changer input...does this still leave your 6 disc in dash changer working normally? Im gonna go ahead and assume it does.

That being said,

If i am not gonna get both steering wheel controls and text display then as far as i am concerned i might as well stick with the AUX input for my ipod. I also DO NOT CARE about text on my xm. Is it possible to "switch" the xm and dice so that xm won't have text (but will just function off of station numbers) but ipod will?

I doubt this is possible because it would of probably been mentioned already. I would go for this setup in an instant

Nick, get the developers working on it ASAP :P lol

need a guinea pig?

thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 08:45 AM
2006 ASM tsx

... can't believe apple screwed us over with the new classics..

diceelectronics is even ON their website. man
how could they just go and change the firmware liek that on us...
does anyone know who i can contact about this?????
i.e. a friend that works at apple.
lol they need to make the classics backwards compatible with ALL other peripherals..
Old 10-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Racer

still waiting for the new version to come out. This is taking forever

Quick Reply: DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec