AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/)
-   -   DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec (https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/dice-ipod-integration-vs-usaspec-355659/)

vthree 01-05-2007 11:06 PM

DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec

the dice supposedly allows the ipod text to be displayed on the screen as long as the player can read cd text.. however does a normal stock 2006+ tsx radio display cd text? i was really disappointed when my stock head unit didnt even play mp3 cds...

anyone have this dice link and does it show the text?

OK, there's a lot of good info in this thread, but as with all things, its becoming a bit outdated. With the new DICE kits available, please keep this thread to ONLY "legacy" ipod kit discussions, up to and including USA SPEC PA11-HON2y and DICE HON-R3 & R4. For the new "gen 2" R3 / R4 kits, and Dice Silver, use a new thread.

-Moderators

zel 05-15-2007 11:46 AM

DIce text

We just installed the new R3 from Dice over the weekend, it does display text in Sat mode, you will have text if you don't mind loosing your XM input, if you keep it you can't have text. It worked like a charm as far as controls and sound quality goes.

Reach 05-15-2007 11:55 AM

what car did you install it in?

jswim99 05-15-2007 08:43 PM

I installed the R3 unit from Neo (rebranded from Dice), and it wouldn't work with Text, and they kept extending the backorder time, so I returned it. Interesting to hear that the Dice works; doesn't the Dice website say that R4 is the version with text, though?

zel 05-16-2007 11:49 AM

Text

We installed it on a 2005 TSX and a 2007 TL. I also have a friend with a 2006 Accord who installed it.

jswim99 05-16-2007 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by zel
We installed it on a 2005 TSX and a 2007 TL. I also have a friend with a 2006 Accord who installed it.

Are you happy with how it's been working? Any problems?

MeHoo 05-21-2007 03:43 PM

Just wanted to add the DICE R3 unit was "backordered" for me.. when the two weeks passed i just called and the girl told me the newest units do NOT work with text correctly on the 07 TSX and if i wanted i could order a "beta" model and report back if it works or not. I dont feel like buying a beta and being a guinnea pig so i said no.

Is she just a mis-informed?

It would be nice to know what models don't suck and work correctly. I dont want to lose XM or anything and i wouldnt mind the text working.

Reach 05-21-2007 03:47 PM

Other than Zel's 6 posts all about the Dice unit being fantastic, I haven't heard of anyone who it has worked for. Until some verifiable results show up (pics would be nice people...) I would stick with the usa spec unit. If/When a text-enabled unit comes out, I may switch to it, but for now I'm more than happy with my bulletproof but non-text-enabled integration.

MeHoo 05-21-2007 03:57 PM

if im not mistaken, Reach, the USA-SPEC one is nearly the same [if not the same] as the stock Acura one? I assume this due to the cd changer method being implemented.. they seem to be the only ones doing that.

From what i hear text doesnt work at all on these unfortunately.

MeHoo 05-21-2007 04:06 PM

nevermind, searching as we speak. text or XM seems to be the choice to make. Annoying.

vthree 05-21-2007 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Reach
Other than Zel's 6 posts all about the Dice unit being fantastic, I haven't heard of anyone who it has worked for. Until some verifiable results show up (pics would be nice people...) I would stick with the usa spec unit. If/When a text-enabled unit comes out, I may switch to it, but for now I'm more than happy with my bulletproof but non-text-enabled integration.

i concur!
glad we're reviving my old thread..
im on musiclink and installing my navi tomorrow!!

Reach 05-21-2007 09:54 PM

good luck with that navi conversion man! it'll be sooooo worth it! :)

street277 05-28-2007 04:26 AM

so about this r3 dice device, how do u set it to replace ur sat mode? is it like switches on the acutal device? and is it 2005 tsx w/navi compatiable? wat kind of text does it display?(artist, song, album)? and does it display on the navi screen?
thanx

zel 05-29-2007 06:41 PM

Ipod text

It will show you the artist and the title information on your nav unit, it is very close on the non Nav units as well.

street277 05-29-2007 09:40 PM

yea i found a screen shot somewhere on the tl forums. thanx

vthree 05-30-2007 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by street277
yea i found a screen shot somewhere on the tl forums. thanx

geeze post a link! now i gotta go search..
[edit] couldn't it be different on a TL? dont those already read cd text?
i mean they play mp3s .... =X

vthree 05-30-2007 09:54 AM

here u guys go buy up i clicked teh compatible hus and it say 2005+ tsxs...
http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merch...uct_Attributes[1]:value=2006&Product_Attributes[2]:value=TSX

vthree 05-30-2007 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by vthree
here u guys go buy up i clicked teh compatible hus and it say 2005+ tsxs...
http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merch...uct_Attributes[1]:value=2006&Product_Attributes[2]:value=TSX

? ok wont let me edit last post.. but heres the tl thread https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/just-saw-taking-lives-159814/.. wish we had some screenshots of it on a TSX
....ZEL please snap some

MeHoo 05-30-2007 08:37 PM

you lose xm...
dice told me over the phone the tsx one does NOT work with text yet... They tried getting me to buy one at regular cost and then tell them if it worked or not.

i just dont think these work like advertised for these vehicles. its nice to see it working on the TL though but i thought that was a different radio setup.

zel keeps talking about it working but fails to show pics. Not saying it isnt true [eventhough dice told me it isnt] but pics would be nice.

kinghost1 05-30-2007 08:48 PM

Does the i-Honda-R2 Model work for 2003 acura tl w/ factory nav? I looked through the installation manual and 03 Acura isn't listed.

Newplay1 06-04-2007 09:26 AM

I know for fact on 2005 TSX without Navi the Neo/Dice displays text info from IPOD.

I have 2004 TSX-Navi no XM and was wondering what is the advantage for me to buy Dice R3 compare to Spec-Hon2Y.

Originally Posted by MeHoo
you lose xm...
dice told me over the phone the tsx one does NOT work with text yet... They tried getting me to buy one at regular cost and then tell them if it worked or not.

i just dont think these work like advertised for these vehicles. its nice to see it working on the TL though but i thought that was a different radio setup.

zel keeps talking about it working but fails to show pics. Not saying it isnt true [eventhough dice told me it isnt] but pics would be nice.

vthree 06-04-2007 03:24 PM

ok i called and confirmed and im now on a waiting list... they say they just received some new software and they're making sure it all works so thats gonna take a week to a week and a half to complete... what happens is u'll lose your XM but gain ipod text..
thats why 04's shouldn't be compatible cuz xm started in 05

soo if you have an 04. you should by my Acura Musiclink :thumbsup:
you'll be able to play ur music and go through it with the Head Unit WHILE driving..

jswim99 06-04-2007 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Newplay1
I know for fact on 2005 TSX without Navi the Neo/Dice displays text info from IPOD.

I have 2004 TSX-Navi no XM and was wondering what is the advantage for me to buy Dice R3 compare to Spec-Hon2Y.

How do you know this for a fact? Do you have any pictures? I only ask because I had the R3 unit and it did not work in my non-navi TSX. This talk of Dice "upgrading" the firmware/software has me a little suspicious.

Nick@DICE 06-19-2007 04:57 PM

I work for DICE - Here's some pics of it working in a 07 TL.

http://www.njaquay.com/ha/02%20.JPG

http://www.njaquay.com/ha/03%20.JPG

Yes, it works in a TSX, it works in all Acura models - you'll have text only in SAT mode, if you want to keep your XM/Sirius everything else will work, but no text. This is a limitation of the radio, not the DICE kit sadly.

Now, can anyone tell me how to PM Astro? I'm getting a "You Do Not have permission" page.

Nick@DICE 06-19-2007 04:59 PM

BTW, if you have Navi or want to keep your XM, you need the R4 kit. All others use the R3 kit.

Ron A 06-19-2007 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
Now, can anyone tell me how to PM Astro? I'm getting a "You Do Not have permission" page.

Hi and welcome to the forums. You can't send or receive PM's until you get 5 posts and have at least one day in the forum. When you get your 5th post, give the computer time to update, then check your profile under "Contact Info" and it should say "Send a private message to (your user name)", and then you can do PM's.

In the meantime, please send him an email and he can fill you in on the vendor details: robb at acurazine dot com

Nick@DICE 06-19-2007 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ron A
Hi and welcome to the forums. You can't send or receive PM's until you get 5 posts and have at least one day in the forum. When you get your 5th post, give the computer time to update, then check your profile under "Contact Info" and it should say "Send a private message to (your user name)", and then you can do PM's.

In the meantime, please send him an email and he can fill you in on the vendor details: robb at acurazine dot com

Thanks - I figured as much but I couldn't find a new member guide to verify. :thumbsup:

MeHoo 06-20-2007 06:15 PM

is anyone else annoyed that they keep showing pics of a TL and not a TSX, when we've clearly agreed numerous times that it works with a TL but request TSX proof?

The downside is if XM one day gets their heads out of their butts and realizes 45kb per channel just doesn't cut it and ups the quality, i'll most likely want to pay for it [hopefully they merge with sirius then too].

jswim99 06-20-2007 09:24 PM

is anyone else annoyed that they keep showing pics of a TL and not a TSX, when we've clearly agreed numerous times that it works with a TL but request TSX proof?

The downside is if XM one day gets their heads out of their butts and realizes 45kb per channel just doesn't cut it and ups the quality, i'll most likely want to pay for it [hopefully they merge with sirius then too].

I agree. I have yet to see any proof of the text solution working with a TSX. I think there was one forum member who said it worked, but never really elaborated or proved it. Dice's website is very ambiguous too.

Nick@DICE 06-21-2007 02:55 AM

I don't have any pics of a TSX sadly, but I have installed a kit personally in a TSX. No problems. I'll try and dig some up if we have some already taken. Now, I should shutup so I don't piss off the admins too much. I don't mean to troll.

Reach 06-21-2007 09:10 AM

Don't worry, you've done nothing wrong. (so far...) :)

I'm glad you came to clear up some info actually.

MeHoo 06-21-2007 10:38 AM

I'm certainly not upset or anything either, but it is rather odd how all i've seen is words so far.

I can't stand XM's lack of quality so losing it wouldn't bother me as much. I just want to see it work. Its a good thing ur here because otherwise, i hate your company's service.

Reach 06-21-2007 11:41 AM

Nick, you're welcome to continue to post here, and by all means, please keep up with the factual posts on the R3/4 capabilities and features, and don't feel afraid to answer member's questions. There is a lot of outstanding confusion on the dice units, so I for one would be happy to have you clear that up.

For starters, would you have any pics of the actual dice r3 and r4 units you could share?

Also, Nick, I tried to PM you, but its still not enabled. When you have that, please PM me.

Nick@DICE 06-21-2007 11:43 AM

Don't worry, you've done nothing wrong. (so far...) :)

I'm glad you came to clear up some info actually.

Well thank you. This site drives alot of traffic to our own, thats how we took notice. :yum:

Nick@DICE 06-21-2007 11:52 AM

Nick, you're welcome to continue to post here, and by all means, please keep up with the factual posts on the R3/4 capabilities and features, and don't feel afraid to answer member's questions. There is a lot of outstanding confusion on the dice units, so I for one would be happy to have you clear that up.

For starters, would you have any pics of the actual dice r3 and r4 units you could share?

Also, Nick, I tried to PM you, but its still not enabled. When you have that, please PM me.

I do, I'm not in the office right now so I'll post em' up when I get in.

MeHoo 06-21-2007 12:54 PM

You kinda skipped over the question i had.. but does your unit work with the same quality as the usaspec one? Audio quality is the biggest factor for me, and i know some other units are more of an aux than a true connection.. ie the volume on the ipod controls the volume in the car = bad.

Nick@DICE 06-21-2007 01:10 PM

You kinda skipped over the question i had.. but does your unit work with the same quality as the usaspec one? Audio quality is the biggest factor for me, and i know some other units are more of an aux than a true connection.. ie the volume on the ipod controls the volume in the car = bad.

sorry, I didn't see it. The audio quality is excelent in Honda/Acura, I haven't gotten any complaints on it - it's a data connection we use, not a audio connection. You can adjust the EQ output, but not volume. It has no effect on playback.

Reach 06-21-2007 01:52 PM

Any dock connector solution will (should!) be using the line-out pins provided at the dock connector for crisp audio. I'd assume dice does as well.

Nick@DICE 06-21-2007 02:11 PM

Any dock connector solution will (should!) be using the line-out pins provided at the dock connector for crisp audio. I'd assume dice does as well.

I'm no engineer, but I've been told that our setup is very unique - one of the reasons why our device remains unlocked and will still support remote command, text display, etc etc and no one else does. If you count the years they worked with Dension/they were Dension USA, DICE is the most experienced company for this sort of thing. It wouldn't surprise me that they know a few things that others don't.

MeHoo 06-21-2007 03:40 PM

Your web support lady just emailed me and told me they were shipping the unit to me.. the problem with that is that i already cancelled the order like a month ago... sigh.

your product could be the best ever but your company's business practices lack. As "experienced" as DICE may be, they need to learn a few things from other companies in the service area.

You seem to actually care, which is why im tellin you this.