DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received my unit but will wait until this weekend to make the installation.
Before that I want to know if anyone can tell me the time response differences between Ipod mode and Dice mode? (i.e. How long does it take to change track? is it a big difference like 1 sec vs 3 sec?) Also how long does it takes to initalize in DICE mode?

If I put it in IPOD mode, when you are switching tracks, will there be a track number displaying (something like 01 to 99 ?)

I'm trying to make the decison if I should use Dice mode or IPod mode. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tuoncan
I just received my unit but will wait until this weekend to make the installation.
Before that I want to know if anyone can tell me the time response differences between Ipod mode and Dice mode? (i.e. How long does it take to change track? is it a big difference like 1 sec vs 3 sec?) Also how long does it takes to initalize in DICE mode?

If I put it in IPOD mode, when you are switching tracks, will there be a track number displaying (something like 01 to 99 ?)

I haven't noticed any difference in reaction time between the two modes. In DICE mode it takes about 5 seconds to initialize at startup. There are track numbers from 1 to 99. When I install them I try to place the module in a spot where I can easily access it. Just in case my customer wants to change a setting at a later time. This also makes it easy to experiment with the different settings.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Racer

If you use iPod mode, you won't see anything on the radio. It will happily keep displaying 1-1 forever. Also you won't have much headunit control.
There's no reason to use iPod mode really.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Racer

ok I took out my factory MP3 player and got the Dice unit installed. It's a pain, since I had to remove the center console to get to the metal brackets that hold the MP3 player together. But after the non-navi to navi conversion, nothing is impossible to do. The sound quality for the Dice unit is great. The sound quality is pretty the same as the factory MP3 Player. Track changing is pretty fast too. Maybe faster than the CD since it's accessing the data from flash memory rather than a CD.

I started out by putting the Dice unit in SAT mode. I can hear sound from both the Ipod and the XM receiver. After taking a look quick through my electrical troubleshooting manual, I noticed the audio from the XM receiver is running to another connector at the front passenger door before going to the Audio unit. Since this is easier to access than the XM receiver in the trunk, I decided to unplug it and I was able to get music coming from the ipod only.
One problem with this is that since I only disconnected the audio from the XM receiver, I still see text coming in from the XM receiver too. So half of the time I get the text from my Ipod and half of the time I get text coming from the XM receiver. I then figured that I could find out where the rest of wires from the XM receiver go so I could disconnect that and everything will be fine. But after going through the manual these wires happen to go into another connector that contains other wires that could not be disconnected. Therefore I could not just unplug that connector to disable the text coming from the XM receiver. At first I thought I've found a better place to disable the XM receiver than getting to the XM unit in the trunk, but I was wrong.

So after all of this, I decided to put it back to CDC mode. What's sux about me is I'm using a 3rd gen Video nano. Once I plugged that thing in, I lose user interface with the Ipod. Right now I can only change tracks throught the buttons on the steering wheel and the dash. I can't do anything with my Ipod, so it's pretty much useless after I plugged it in.

What I've also noticed is that the Random, Repeat, ect. on the screen is not functioning. So now I'm stuck with skipping throug the songs one by one.

I also tried to turn the car off and on to see if the song will start back at where it was when the car is shutted off and that works great. A plus there.

I took the car out for a ride and on the way back I notice something is not working right. I cycled from the Ipod mode to CD to listen to some song from there. After 3 songs, I cycled back to Ipod mode and I hear no music. I thought it's a song in my Ipod so I change it to a different song, but no music there either. I then cycle through all the sources and back to Ipod again, this time the music came on. I will try to run through this scenario again tomorrow and see if I can get the same thing to occur.

Question to Nick: Can I use Disc 2, Disc 3, ect. in CDC mode to change playlist and album? If can, how do you do that? I can't seem to be able to change playlist or album while in Disc 2 or Disc 3. The only thing I can do is to change track number in Disc 1 and Audio source in Disc 5. Disc 6 doesn't provide me the Firmware version either. I use the CH + and - on the steering wheel when I have the Disc selected, but nothing happens in Disc 2, 3, 4 or 6. when I press the + and - the track number changes as if Disc 1 is selected. Do you know why?

Okay this is it for today. I will get more report in once I can figure out how to get to the XM receiver. Right now I'm having problem to take the trunk apart so I can get the the XM receiver. If anyone have instructions on how to remove the stuff in the trunk to get to the XM receiver, I will be happy to read it.

Last edited by tuoncan; 11-17-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:57 AM
Racer

Okay I might have found the answer to changing between playlists. I need to use the Tune knob to change it right? I will test this out tomorrow morning.

One other feature that I left out on the previous post that I had tested is you can hold down the SEEK >> or << to fast forward or backward the song.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Cool review ... did you ever get the original dice where it would sometimes start and then not start and did this new version fix that?... im interested in how to cycle through those play list.... keep us updated please..
Eddie
Old 11-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Racer

Okay after another day of driving around. It seems like I'm keeping getting the same problem. If I turn off the car and leave it in CD-C mode, after I came back and started the car, the song will start playing (no startup issue here). After playing the song for a couple minutes the music stops. I tried changing to a new track, but that didn't help. I would have to cycle through the sources and came back to CD-C to hear the song playing again.

I've also tried leaving CD-C mode and cycle to CD mode. If I leave it in CD mode for a long time and coming back to CD-C mode, I would get the same problem. I will lose the sound from the Dice unit. This time instead of cycling through the sources, I decided to switch to Disc-5 and changed the audio sources (Ipod and Aux) instead. This fixes the sound problem and I can hear the music playing again. I've tried cycling through the playlist and album, but that didn't help. You can get the sound back from cycling through the source or switching to Aux and back to Ipod without leaving CD-C mode.

Note: I was able to select playlist and album by using the + CH - on the steering wheel, not the << TUNE >> knob as I thought earlier. I think I have the same songs in multiple playlist that's why I thought I wasn't working.

I still lose the user interface to my 3rd gen Video nano when it's connected to the Dice unit. This is the greatest lost to me.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Racer

Okay done with removing the connector on the XM unit.

I have a question though.
I want to change the text display function on my TSX, but I don't see any DISP - Mode button as stated in the manual (I think the TL or accord has this only). Is there any other way I can change the text display settings on my TSX?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Okay done with removing the connector on the XM unit.

I have a question though.
I want to change the text display function on my TSX, but I don't see any DISP - Mode button as stated in the manual (I think the TL or accord has this only). Is there any other way I can change the text display settings on my TSX?
On my Accord and TL I have to hold down the AUDIO button to change display settings.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Racer

Thanks I got it

I think the audio problem is causing by the unit pausing the song. Since I lose the user interface with my ipod I cannot restart the song. This might not happen on other types of Ipod though.

I get this audio problem pretty consistency. The text will show up "PAUSE" when this is happening. Maybe the DICE unit thinks that I switched to another audio source so it sends out a PAUSE signal to stop the song? Once I cycled through the sources then it will not pause the song anymore. Everything works fine from that point on.

About the text display function, I think it's pretty useless to have it in scroll mode. One example is that the text will cycle from Artist*Album to Song name (before finished showing the Artist*Album) and back to Artist*Album (before finishing the Song name). The time to display each field is varied, causing the text to flash back and forth (very distracting). This happens only on the sub-clock display. It will scroll fine on the navi screen.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:45 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i still haven't received my replacement =/
Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Racer

Thanks I got it

I think the audio problem is causing by the unit pausing the song. Since I lose the user interface with my ipod I cannot restart the song. This might not happen on other types of Ipod though.

I get this audio problem pretty consistency. The text will show up "PAUSE" when this is happening. Maybe the DICE unit thinks that I switched to another audio source so it sends out a PAUSE signal to stop the song? Once I cycled through the sources then it will not pause the song anymore. Everything works fine from that point on.

About the text display function, I think it's pretty useless to have it in scroll mode. One example is that the text will cycle from Artist*Album to Song name (before finished showing the Artist*Album) and back to Artist*Album (before finishing the Song name). The time to display each field is varied, causing the text to flash back and forth (very distracting). This happens only on the sub-clock display. It will scroll fine on the navi screen.
The newer iPod's have this habit of randomly pausing. Apple supposedly is working to fix this.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vthree
i still haven't received my replacement =/

I just resent everything, check your email!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
The newer iPod's have this habit of randomly pausing. Apple supposedly is working to fix this.
Damn the new iPods! Damn Windows VISTA! DAMN pork and beans!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Instructor

BTW folks, we're adding Canadian TSX's to the supported list. Even though they may not have the XM button on the dash, we have success in the 06's and 07's. I expect that it will work in 05's as well with text display.

Originally Posted by dP-
Nick,

Has an O5 TSX with NAVI been tested to support text as well? If so, which DICE model is required?

Hello Nick,

I just went through 14 pages of reading up on this. I was seriously thinking of picking up the USA Spec unit based on more reading within the forums and how the HU/Steering wheel controls work.
What caught my interest with the Dice unit is it displays text.

I'm in Toronto Canada, and as per your post, you mentioned you have units that will work with an 05 TSX with NAVI. Question is, since we don't have the XM button, what button would we use? Can you provide us with details on how this functions with the TSX's up north?

TIA
Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Toms TeeSX
Hello Nick,

I just went through 14 pages of reading up on this. I was seriously thinking of picking up the USA Spec unit based on more reading within the forums and how the HU/Steering wheel controls work.
What caught my interest with the Dice unit is it displays text.

I'm in Toronto Canada, and as per your post, you mentioned you have units that will work with an 05 TSX with NAVI. Question is, since we don't have the XM button, what button would we use? Can you provide us with details on how this functions with the TSX's up north?

TIA
Yup, your car will work in SAT mode and will display text. You'll use the source selection button on your steering wheel to select it.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Yup, your car will work in SAT mode and will display text. You'll use the source selection button on your steering wheel to select it.
Interesting. I didn't even know there was a SAT mode with the source selection button. Has this been tested on a Canadian model TSX?

Do you have any authorized dealers or know of any places that sell your product within Canada? I'll also be heading down to Pennsylvania over the weekend, so I'll be passing by Buffalo. Any dealers in that area as well?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Toms TeeSX
Interesting. I didn't even know there was a SAT mode with the source selection button. Has this been tested on a Canadian model TSX?

Do you have any authorized dealers or know of any places that sell your product within Canada? I'll also be heading down to Pennsylvania over the weekend, so I'll be passing by Buffalo. Any dealers in that area as well?
The car wouldn't select it because there's nothing there yet. Just as if you added a 2nd CD changer it would then go to that when you press it but at present it won't.

Yes, it's been tested in an 05 TSX Canadian.

You can contact uncald4 here on the boards, he ships to Canada from Seattle.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor

You can contact uncald4 here on the boards, he ships to Canada from Seattle.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by uncald4
"Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
You can contact uncald4 here on the boards, he ships to Canada from Seattle."

You have PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Racer

Thanks for the head up. I did some searching and yes it's the Ipod problem not the Dice unit. After some reading, the cause of this is from the new firmware that Apple is releasing. All I did was downgrading my Ipod firmware back to version 1.0.1 and the pausing problem went away. Everything works perfectly now with the exception of losing the Ipod's user interface with the new Ipod gen. Other than that, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Last edited by tuoncan; 11-21-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:04 PM
5th Gear

after reading everything, is there anymore to it besides just unplugging the xm, using the r4 cable and replugging back in the xm and the ipod (going to keep the XM)?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by eveofdes
after reading everything, is there anymore to it besides just unplugging the xm, using the r4 cable and replugging back in the xm and the ipod (going to keep the XM)?
That's it. The R4 has the pass-thru cable needed for your existing XM/NAVI plug that would be plugged into your deck currently.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Racer

Thanks for the head up. I did some searching and yes it's the Ipod problem not the Dice unit. After some reading, the cause of this is from the new firmware that Apple is releasing. All I did was downgrading my Ipod firmware back to version 1.0.1 and the pausing problem went away. Everything works perfectly now with the exception of losing the Ipod's user interface with the new Ipod gen. Other than that, I'm very happy with my purchase.
I just picked up a new Nano myself just to see what would happen. Sure enough, 20 mins into playback it paused. People with Bose desktop units, other car kits, etc etc are having this issue. I'm gonna try downgrading the firmware next. Good lookin' out.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 PM
2007 TSX

I just read through all of this and I have a few questions about the DICE unit.

I have a 2007 TSX non-navi. I used to own a 2005 TSX non-navi and I had the Neo iOn installed in it. I still have the Neo iOn and I intended to install it in my 2007 when I get around to it (assuming it will work on a 2007, hmm...). I loved the simplicity of the Neo iOn - it charged my iPod, allowed me to control my iPod directly, paused/unpaused the iPod when I turned the car off/on and allowed me to skip tracks using the steering wheel controls.

I'd be perfectly happy sticking with the Neo, except that I want text!

My questions...

1. Does the DICE unit provide all of these capabilities?
a) Charge the iPod
b) Allow me to control the iPod directly (I know newer models don't work, I have a 5th gen)
c) Pause/unpause the iPod when I turn the car off/on or switch to FM, etc.
d) Skip tracks using the steering wheel controls

I believe the answer is yes, based on what I've read, but I want to be sure - and I haven't seen much talk about a) or c).

2. Is it difficult to install? I installed the Neo iOn without even taking out the head unit (http://www.tangledupsidedown.com/ipod.html). Do I have to take everything out to install the DICE?

3. Where do you put the DICE unit itself? Is it small enough to fit behind the bins like my Neo did or do I have to run the wires somewhere else?

Thank you!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by superJess
I just read through all of this and I have a few questions about the DICE unit.......

.......Thank you!
YES to 1. a, b, c, and d.

It is very easy to install in the TSX. You can place the DICE module in many places. Just pick a spot that you are comfortable with.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 PM
3rd Gear

Dice ipod interface

New to Acurazine. This is a great source ofr info but I'm hoping you guys can save me a bit of reading. I have an 06TL with a factory stereo with XM and 6 disc internal CD changer, no Navi. Will the Dice R4 unit hook up to my system allowing the CD changer and XM to function. I believe to keep XM I will not get text. Please confirm. Also where's the best location to buy the Dice unit and does anyone have the stereo removal instructions for an 06 TL. Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Racer

Yes, you're right on all your questions.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by LAW1
Also where's the best location to buy the Dice unit and does anyone have the stereo removal instructions for an 06 TL. Thanks
This is the best place to buy the DICE unit.... https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/dice-ipod-kits-exclusive-buy-acurazine-371815/
Old 12-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Is there some sort of manual i can download or buy from acura for my 2005 tsx non navi that would show me how to disassemble the car so i can install this device...?
I remember i had a scooter once and i was able to buy a really thick manual for $50 that showed you how to practically disassemble the whole thing... does acura have something similar?
thanks in advance
eddie
Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
kjv
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Cytomax
Is there some sort of manual i can download or buy from acura for my 2005 tsx non navi that would show me how to disassemble the car so i can install this device...?
I remember i had a scooter once and i was able to buy a really thick manual for $50 that showed you how to practically disassemble the whole thing... does acura have something similar?
thanks in advance
eddie
Helm Inc sells service manuals for the TSX. Follow the link below to find all documents available for the TSX from Helm.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...NCXNM0NNPL8R70
Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cytomax
thanks in advance
eddie
You most definitely should not buy a manual just for the installation of this device. There are a number of threads on this board that detail the steps, and they're not even that hard to begin with.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Racer

To those who are experiencing a 'Pausing' problem with the new iPod Classic or 3rd gen Nano:

Apple released a new firmware that addresses this problem. Update your iPod's and please let me know what happens.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know if the iPod v1.2.3 update for the 5.5 generation iPod breaks anything with the DICE unit? When Apple says it fixes bugs, I wonder if it "fixes" the 5th generation iPods so you can no longer control them directly when they're connected.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cwinterrowd
Does anyone know if the iPod v1.2.3 update for the 5.5 generation iPod breaks anything with the DICE unit? When Apple says it fixes bugs, I wonder if it "fixes" the 5th generation iPods so you can no longer control them directly when they're connected.
Oh damnit, I didn't know about this. When I'm home I'll update mine and report back.

But I seriously doubt it. Apple has had PLENTY of time to lock it up, there is no reason to do it now.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Racer

Oh damnit, I didn't know about this. When I'm home I'll update mine and report back.

But I seriously doubt it. Apple has had PLENTY of time to lock it up, there is no reason to do it now.
Whatever they fixed, it doesn't seem to have any effect on our kit. The iPod remains unlocked as well.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:52 AM
Cruisin'

fixed!

The new update for the Classic did fix the pausing problem and also the track changes are MUCH faster now.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:05 PM
'Cooter

ok, so now that we're in the holiday season, i was thinking of bundling together the Dice with the new Nano for the girlfriend...after reading through this entire thread, i'm pretty much set on everything, so please let me know if im missing anything...

gf's car: '07 Accord non-navi with XM (but 3-month trial ended and no desire to continue, so i would just take out head unit connection), so R3 Dice

is the $149 price still good these days or any sales currently going on??

i'd be willing to take lots of pics if need be
Old 12-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scooter
ok, so now that we're in the holiday season, i was thinking of bundling together the Dice with the new Nano for the girlfriend...after reading through this entire thread, i'm pretty much set on everything, so please let me know if im missing anything...

gf's car: '07 Accord non-navi with XM (but 3-month trial ended and no desire to continue, so i would just take out head unit connection), so R3 Dice

is the $149 price still good these days or any sales currently going on??

i'd be willing to take lots of pics if need be
Hey Scooter, the DICE iPod goodness is a very popular gift this Christmas. Great choice. The i-Honda-R3 kit is currently $145 shipped for Acurazine members. Here is the thread with the info..... https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371815

Or you can just PM me if you're ready to order. I just need your email address so that I can send you a PayPal invoice.

-Travis
Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
6th Gear

How do we get an updated unit? I'm one of those that have been experiencing the startup issues (06 TSX non-navi). Also, have the issues been fixed for those who have the updated unit?

Thanks

Quick Reply: DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec