DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zartakras
How do we get an updated unit? I'm one of those that have been experiencing the startup issues (06 TSX non-navi). Also, have the issues been fixed for those who have the updated unit?

Thanks
Have you ever swapped your unit before?

If not, the issue has been reduced but not eliminated. For the moment, that's the best we have available. PM me your contact and mailing info and I'll setup an exchange for you.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Zartakras
How do we get an updated unit? I'm one of those that have been experiencing the startup issues (06 TSX non-navi). Also, have the issues been fixed for those who have the updated unit?

Thanks
I got a new unit, not sure if it's a beta or not, and the startup issue is completely gone. However, this unit is always on "pause" whenever I turn the car on. Still annoying, but much better than the startup issue. It seems strange that there's such variation between units.

I really love this device though, definitely enough to put up with it's flaws.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by jswim99
I got a new unit, not sure if it's a beta or not, and the startup issue is completely gone. However, this unit is always on "pause" whenever I turn the car on. Still annoying, but much better than the startup issue. It seems strange that there's such variation between units.

I really love this device though, definitely enough to put up with it's flaws.
My old iPod adapter used to startup "paused" and I actually liked it. I'm the guy that leaves his stereo up load when I shut the car off. Then when I start it the next morning it scares the crap out of me.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

There is a new DICE thread in the Sponsored Sales and Group Buys area. The 2008 lineup includes new DICE product for Acura/Honda with exclusive Acurazine member pricing. Check out the new SILVER line from DICE.

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/2008-dice-ipod-integration-kits-new-features-exclusive-pricing-380640/
Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is getting old...

OK, there's a lot of good info in this thread, but as with all things, its becoming a bit outdated. With the new DICE kits available, please keep this thread to ONLY "legacy" ipod kit discussions, up to and including USA SPEC PA11-HON2y and DICE HON-R3 & R4. For the new "gen 2" R3 / R4 kits, and Dice Silver, use a new thread.

Be nice or I'll slap you across the internet. Or call your momma. Or lock this thread; whichever I feel is easiest. Thanks from your local volunteer staff.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Reach
OK, there's a lot of good info in this thread, but as with all things, its becoming a bit outdated. With the new DICE kits available, please keep this thread to ONLY "legacy" ipod kit discussions, up to and including USA SPEC PA11-HON2y and DICE HON-R3 & R4. For the new "gen 2" R3 / R4 kits, and Dice Silver, use a new thread.

Be nice or I'll slap you across the internet. Or call your momma. Or lock this thread; whichever I feel is easiest. Thanks from your local volunteer staff.
You're silly. But, this thread is the dirty sloppy grandmother of threads. Heck, I almost posted earlier today on this thread to write about the tremendous sandwich I had for lunch.

I solemnly swear to not be a thread whore. Thanks be to Gosh. Amen.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

I wish I had a tremendous sandwich
Old 12-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Advanced

I just installed the R3 Dice unit in my

Canadian 2005 non-navi TSX

with the dip switches in the correct postions I still wasn't able to get TEXT to work on my deck.

Are there any Canadian TSX owners that have an 05 non navi that have got the DICE unit displaying TEXT ??

I was on the phone with Nick from tech support and as he has responded to many post's on this thread he was very helpful. We tried different combinations of turning ON and OFF the dip switchs but nothing seemed to work as far as having TEXT displayed on the radio.

Have any other Canadian owners got TEXT to work ?

Thank you
Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Advanced

I"m going to ask that if anyone in Canada with a TSX non navi any year is using the R3 kit has been able to have TEXT displayed on the radio.

I'd like to beleive that I have a defective unit is there anyone else using the R3 in a Canadian TSX, I'd like to hear from you to understand if this unit displays text on your radio.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
soo.. i still have not received a replacement.. =/ and now my model is getting even worse....
Old 12-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vthree
soo.. i still have not received a replacement.. =/ and now my model is getting even worse....
You never received any of my e-mails? PM me your info again and we'll do it again.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 AM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How is the compatibility with the Dice R2 and the 2nd Gen TL/CL? I've been using a blitzsafe unit for over a year now, and its worked just fine, but I've been really wanting a unit that I can use the steering wheel controls and an additional AUX input. I know there's several members who have used the USA-Spec unit, but there seems to be some issues with its performance. Does anyone have any experience with the Dice unit in the 2nd Gens?
Old 12-20-2007, 05:56 PM
140,000 miles young

heard that lots of people have had problems with it and the 2g head units - like random locking down and crap. I am going to try USA-spec just ordered it. If it gives me problems I will return it and get the blitzsafe.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
2nd Gen, what year was that - 98 to 03 right? You can use a DICE kit, but you're not going to have text sadly. The TL's didn't get that feature til 04. You need the i-Honda-R2 kit.
I just want really good sound quality....from what I hear anything BUT a direct connection gives you garbage.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mestizoracer310
I've got a 2nd gen TL Type S....w/ the cassette deck AND in dash 6 disc changer....do I have any recourse for an ipod adapter or am I stuck using a cassette adapter/RF modulator?
Forgot to mention that I do have a factory equipped navigation....just about every interface I've seen online/in person state their adapter DOES NOT work w/ factory NAVI
Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

It's been a while since I checked in on this thread, and I don't know if this has been mentioned or helps at all but ...
Regarding the start-up issue. It seems it only happens if I turn my key quickly to start the car. If I pause at accessory-power first before starting the engine, everything is fine.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 AM
140,000 miles young

Just installed the USAspec in my 2g CL. It works perfectly except for one thing - when I have it on random the radio will not change tracks with the forward/next track button (that just restarted the current track), only the back/previous track button. Weird and annoying. But it sounds great (even better than the CD changer, IMO). No weird non-responsive start up issues or anything. If you don't need text it's a good piece.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I remember reading a How-To disconnect XM etc so that I can get text support on the Dice R4, back when I was in the market for one. I ended up getting the used one here on the black market, now I can't find where I read how to disonnect XM, i believe it was somewhere in the trunk. Can someone refresh my memory of how to disconnect XM so I can have text support!?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wong05tsx
I remember reading a How-To disconnect XM etc so that I can get text support on the Dice R4, back when I was in the market for one. I ended up getting the used one here on the black market, now I can't find where I read how to disonnect XM, i believe it was somewhere in the trunk. Can someone refresh my memory of how to disconnect XM so I can have text support!?
You'll need to flip the switches on the left side of the DICE module. Your XM receiver is on the left side of your trunk. It's mounted to a vertical support brace behind the carpet. You need to pull the green harness. I remember seeing a thread with pictures on this. Not sure where to find it. If I have time later I'll wrastle with the search button.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Need more room in

Originally Posted by uncald4
You'll need to flip the switches on the left side of the DICE module. Your XM receiver is on the left side of your trunk. It's mounted to a vertical support brace behind the carpet. You need to pull the green harness. I remember seeing a thread with pictures on this. Not sure where to find it. If I have time later I'll wrastle with the search button.
I found this pic gallery by Joshua
http://picasaweb.google.com/josh.wol...05600928841346

however it's for the Dice 3 install, and he does not have navi. He just disonnected the XM plug in-dash. Will this work for me?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wong05tsx
I found this pic gallery by Joshua
http://picasaweb.google.com/josh.wol...05600928841346

however it's for the Dice 3 install, and he does not have navi. He just disonnected the XM plug in-dash. Will this work for me?
Nope. You have NAVI. You have to unplug the XM in the trunk.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Need more room in

got the dice unit in, but ican't find the xm reciever in the trunk. anyone got pics of where this thing is!?
Old 01-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Need more room in

got it! lucky guess

I have an 05 with navi.
it's not the left side, uncald. if you're standing behind the car, it's on the right side. There will If you peel back the carpet covering thing from the top, (pop the tab off first), you will see TWO looms, take your hand and follow those two looms, they were both end up meeting at one place (you can't see any of this by the way, only feel, unless you can somehow magically take that carpet piece off, i had no luck). The harness is behind the metal plate, like a wall =|x (= is the loom, | = metal, x = harness), the loom wraps around the wall and then is plugged in. The harness is facing the front of the car. Me having linky long fingers, i was able to use one finger to press down on the tab that locks the harness, and the other two fingers to pull on wire, taking the harness out. (It took over 30 minutes of repeated attempts) My fingers has cuts all over it and nail is all scratched up.

When I got the harness out. It is WHITE, not GREEN. I was thinking aww shit. immediately tried to put it back in. I then realize i should test it first. Turn on the car, no XM sound! wo0o0!

in conclusion, in a 05 tsx with navi. The XM cable is a bitch to get to. It is WHITE, not green, when standing behind the car, it will be on the right side, peel back the carpet, follow the two black looms towards the fender, feel for the harness, and good luck getting that harness out.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm a dummy. I've been ill the past few days and probably should refrain from siting details. Sorry for the bogus location and plug color.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by underst8
Just installed the USAspec in my 2g CL. It works perfectly except for one thing - when I have it on random the radio will not change tracks with the forward/next track button (that just restarted the current track), only the back/previous track button. Weird and annoying. But it sounds great (even better than the CD changer, IMO). No weird non-responsive start up issues or anything. If you don't need text it's a good piece.
I'm guessing you have an '01 CL? I looked for this unit online, says it's not compatible with the '03's? I tell you what...I'm really bummed about the lack of aftermarket support my sweet 6MT CLS gets....I have an ICElink now that doesn't work and am hesitant to spend $150 on the DICE...can anyone vouch for compatibility with an 03 CL?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Cruisin'

I am having a problem with my Dice unit.

I went out of town for a week and didnt drive my TSX. I come back and see my dice unit isn't working anymore.

When I turn my car on I see it goto XM, then display Dice on the console (like normal).. I see my iPod say it's connected to a power source.. (ipod icon shows that it charges then stops repeatedly) The console display is just "# " Try to manually play music on iPod but no sound comes out.

I double checked the connections and cables and it seems to be ok.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM
140,000 miles young

Originally Posted by Weavz
I'm guessing you have an '01 CL? I looked for this unit online, says it's not compatible with the '03's? I tell you what...I'm really bummed about the lack of aftermarket support my sweet 6MT CLS gets....I have an ICElink now that doesn't work and am hesitant to spend $150 on the DICE...can anyone vouch for compatibility with an 03 CL?
The usa spec PA11-HON should work no problem with your car. The CL isn't even listed on their compatibility PDF, and on the website it says "Not compatible with radios featuring in-dash 6 disc changers." However, the unit works just fine on my CL with 6-disc in dash changer except for the random mode track changing issue I mentioned above.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ch=pa11&tp=120

Last edited by underst8; 01-15-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Racer

Reset your iPod. See if that makes the difference.

Originally Posted by demenion
I am having a problem with my Dice unit.

I went out of town for a week and didnt drive my TSX. I come back and see my dice unit isn't working anymore.

When I turn my car on I see it goto XM, then display Dice on the console (like normal).. I see my iPod say it's connected to a power source.. (ipod icon shows that it charges then stops repeatedly) The console display is just "# " Try to manually play music on iPod but no sound comes out.

I double checked the connections and cables and it seems to be ok.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Reset your iPod. See if that makes the difference.
Doesn't seem to be working.. I've tried it on a different iPod too (1g Nano)
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by demenion
Doesn't seem to be working.. I've tried it on a different iPod too (1g Nano)
Well I guess the kit needs a reset! If you can, unplug the module from the cable for a min while the car is fully off. If you can't, you can pull the radio fuse or the car battery for a few mins. If you do either of those make sure you have the radio code handy first.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

Well I guess the kit needs a reset! If you can, unplug the module from the cable for a min while the car is fully off. If you can't, you can pull the radio fuse or the car battery for a few mins. If you do either of those make sure you have the radio code handy first.
I have already disconnected the DICE unit for a day.. should that have reset the kit?

It did not ask me for the code when I removed it.

I've just been using the built in AUX input in my car for the last couple of days, need to get my steering wheel controls back
Old 01-19-2008, 12:36 PM
2006 ASM tsx

soo i really wanted a retractable cord... because i've gotten sick and tired of throwing in all that wire into the cubby under the cd bin.. i've moved my ipod twice now. first it was in the glove.. great to lock up.. horrid if you want to grab the thing and change the song.. then i put it in the cubby. but you have to put int all the wires..... i finally found a solution. the arm rest.
theres so much slack in the dice unit. i'm able to store the actual unit underneath the armrest.. and feed up the wire just like the aux port and the other outlet.. its great theres enough slack i could pass the ipod back to whoevers riding in the back.. also i see the armrest as a whole media center now. lol. thats where the aux port is. and my ipod on the middle shelf. heres a few pix i snapped with my phone. sorry about the quality.. =/

Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 AM
for EVER more!

I have an 06 Non Navi TSX and want Text AND XM - any solutions for this?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Advanced

I've reset the module (disconnected the battery) and reset my ipod, it doesn't change to the changer. In fact the $40.00 IceLink was closer to working than this $150 unit. Any other ideas (send it back?)
Old 03-25-2008, 02:10 PM
dP-
Instructor

Has anyone with 05 TSX and NAVI in Canada got TEXT to work?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Advanced

dp "Has anyone with 05 TSX and NAVI in Canada got TEXT to work?"

Good luck getting anyone to repsond hahahah I'm in the same boat. Don't you find it funny not even the 2 people on the board selling and promoting the unit won't even respond to this question ???? scroll up to my post back in Dec and you'll see me ask the same question.

I was told that TEXT would work in my 05 Canadian non - navi TSX .....Guess what ???? it doesn't display TEXT...

I was also told that there were LOT'S of other Canadians with "working" dice units displaying text hahahaha yeah right.. I guess there's so happy they can't respond.

I'm not bashing Dice but it's funny that when I wanted to buy the unit I was told it worked and when it didn't then I was told that my car must have a O4 deck.
Then we checked the build date, and my car was built in July 05 but no no no it must have a 04 deck and that's ther reason why it doesn't work in my car.

Then I was sent a second unit free of charge from Dice, guess what THAT ONE DIDN'T WORK EITHER. IN FACT THE UNIT THAT WAS SENT TO ME DOESN'T WORK PERIOD, CAN'T CHANGE SONGS, TRACKS, NOTHING WORKS ON IT.

So I"m lucky enough to have 2 Dice units, one that's half assed and the second that's all ass.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by underst8
The usa spec PA11-HON should work no problem with your car. The CL isn't even listed on their compatibility PDF, and on the website it says "Not compatible with radios featuring in-dash 6 disc changers." However, the unit works just fine on my CL with 6-disc in dash changer except for the random mode track changing issue I mentioned above.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ch=pa11&tp=120
This is funny, I think. So after getting a Dension ICELink x 2 I bought the Dice Link cause the Dice webpage says "CL 99-2003 3.0/3.2" So I go to Autotoys.com (By the way, never buy from someone who doesn't put a phone number *anywhere* on their webpage!) After getting this unit, it doesn't even play anything or change over to the changer. Autotoys tells me that they don't have ANY Units that are compatible with the CL *TYPE-S* Did they really put different radio's in the two cars? I mean, isn't the radio in the CL the same as the radio in the TL? So because Autotoys doesn't list the unit as compatible, they tell me that I wasn't supposed to buy the unit, and therefore are charging me a 20% restocking fee. But DICE sent me a replacement unit first, then said it must not be compatible. Talk about shady...anyway I'm back to the Dension ICELink, I can't change tracks without disconnecting it...but if I make some killer playlists, I'll be fine.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Weavz
I've had nothing but issues with iPod in the 2nd Gen TL and CL. The ICE Link, DICE and USA Spec all have issues working correctly on that radio. Which is the same radio between all 2nd Gen TL/CL models. I honestly assume that it's the radio's issue and not the add on. That radio seems to work perfect when using an iPod adapter that does not provide radio/steering wheel control functions. I've installed many of the Blitzsafe adapters on 2nd Gen TL/CL's with no issues. The Blitzsafe doesn't allow all of the radio control features but it does charge, pause and has awesome sound quality.

Luded
I've installed the DICE adapter in a 2005 and 2007 Canadian TSX. Also into a 2005 Canadian TL. TEXT worked on every one of them. Maybe once they cross the border into Canada they turn stupid. Some type of electric fence setup from DICE.

Oh.... I don't have my phone number on my website. But I do on my sig.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Atleast you got a second unit. After an issue with mine and acura claiming my radio/cd failure was due to the aftermkt unit i had to struggle and bend over backwards to get acura to replace it under warranty. I then just tossed the damn dice unit out.. after contacting nic regarding the beta unit and hoping it was a fix and my radio was just a freak accident that as usual acura was trying to blame on the dice unit.. needless to say he never messaged me back period to try to even resolve it.. to date I am still using cd's and the radio and am out the money i spent on the unit.. which was decent when/while it worked.. good luck getting help as i feel your pain.

Originally Posted by Luded
dp "Has anyone with 05 TSX and NAVI in Canada got TEXT to work?"

Good luck getting anyone to repsond hahahah I'm in the same boat. Don't you find it funny not even the 2 people on the board selling and promoting the unit won't even respond to this question ???? scroll up to my post back in Dec and you'll see me ask the same question.

I was told that TEXT would work in my 05 Canadian non - navi TSX .....Guess what ???? it doesn't display TEXT...

I was also told that there were LOT'S of other Canadians with "working" dice units displaying text hahahaha yeah right.. I guess there's so happy they can't respond.

I'm not bashing Dice but it's funny that when I wanted to buy the unit I was told it worked and when it didn't then I was told that my car must have a O4 deck.
Then we checked the build date, and my car was built in July 05 but no no no it must have a 04 deck and that's ther reason why it doesn't work in my car.

Then I was sent a second unit free of charge from Dice, guess what THAT ONE DIDN'T WORK EITHER. IN FACT THE UNIT THAT WAS SENT TO ME DOESN'T WORK PERIOD, CAN'T CHANGE SONGS, TRACKS, NOTHING WORKS ON IT.

So I"m lucky enough to have 2 Dice units, one that's half assed and the second that's all ass.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, I have read some of the posts in this forum but I am a bit confused as to what my options are and what really works.

I have a 2004 TSX with NAV (no XM). I would like to add an iPod interface for my 5th Gen (late 2006) iPod and perhaps also have an extra audio input to plug in a Satellite Radio. What are the best options I have for doing this? It would be nice if I could see the text on the NAV display.

What are my options?

Thanks,

Last edited by GeorgeTSX; 03-28-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec