DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
jswim: have you tried holding down the "audio" button to switch which line of text is displayed on your HU? In the navi version its "audio" that you hold down for 5 seconds, in the non-navi it may be another button.

The fact that it says "no info" is actually good, that means its looking for something, but it isn't there. Look again at this pic:

Cycling through the lines with the audio button should bring up each sequential line. "no info" could be for the xm station line or another feed that its not looking for.
Reach: I did try the "disp-mode" button, which cycles through the text displays. I also tried every combination and pressed every button I could think of for several hours tonight, but with no luck. Now what I get is "??*??", which I assume is supposed to be something like song*artist. I've tried multiple ipods, with the same results. DICE tech support is not particularly responsive, either.

Is there something I need to do on the ipod, like a special setting or something? It seems like the DICE unit is communicating with the stereo fine, but not with the ipod.

I would suggest that anybody considering purchasing this unit for a non-navi TSX wait until this has been cleared up. I think the lack of proof of this working on a non-navi may have been a bad sign that I foolishly ignored.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jswim, its entirely possible there are still technical issues. I'll leave that to Nick@Dice to comment on further. I'm sorry you're still without text and my suggestion didn't work
Old 07-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Racer

Oh, another thing: sometimes when I start the car the DICE unit doesn't turn on, and it never shows up when cycling through the audio sources. The only way to bring it back is to turn the car off then on again. It seems like a minor annoyance, but it actually is quite a pain, since sometimes I'll hop in the car and take off, only to find I have no ipod audio--I then need to "power cycle" the car at a stoplight.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 PM
6th Gear

jswim, I've recently experienced the same behavior when leaving work. I'm thinking it might be because of the heat (110+ here in Vegas). I now turn on the accessory power and check that the unit gets recognized before starting the engine. Yeah, it's a little annoying.

I've had the DICE R3 gen. 2 for about 2 weeks now, and it works great most of the time. I do have text working on my '06 non-navi TSX. There's some erratic flickering when the text scrolls. Also, the NAME text option only shows the artist/album and not the song name, unlike the TITLE option.

One thing I didn't do when installing the unit was disconnect the car battery--I don't know if this really affects anything.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Zartakras
jswim, I've recently experienced the same behavior when leaving work. I'm thinking it might be because of the heat (110+ here in Vegas). I now turn on the accessory power and check that the unit gets recognized before starting the engine. Yeah, it's a little annoying.

I've had the DICE R3 gen. 2 for about 2 weeks now, and it works great most of the time. I do have text working on my '06 non-navi TSX. There's some erratic flickering when the text scrolls. Also, the NAME text option only shows the artist/album and not the song name, unlike the TITLE option.

One thing I didn't do when installing the unit was disconnect the car battery--I don't know if this really affects anything.
Did you need to do anything special to get text to show up? NAME and TITLE only show the ??*?? for me. Also, what scroll setting do you use (ie, 10 character, 16 character, etc)?
Old 07-21-2007, 07:47 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jswim99
Did you need to do anything special to get text to show up? NAME and TITLE only show the ??*?? for me. Also, what scroll setting do you use (ie, 10 character, 16 character, etc)?
Other than the dip switches (ON/ON for SAT and OFF/OFF for DICE Mode), I didn't do anything else. I have it set to 16 characters with scrolling.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Zartakras
Other than the dip switches (ON/ON for SAT and OFF/OFF for DICE Mode), I didn't do anything else. I have it set to 16 characters with scrolling.
Thanks Zartakras! It works! I totally didn't think to tweak the DIP switches. I was in such a hurry to install that I read the instruction manual wrong and had both sets of switches in OFF/OFF. Now everything works fine!

I'll give everybody an update once I've used it for a few weeks.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:15 AM
10th Gear

Have you tried this? http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...70720034241570

Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
You would control the volume from the headunit of your car, the same as you do now.

You will not be able to change the music at all on the iPhone.

No, we're working on seeing if it's even possible to unlock the iPhone at all. If it is, then there will be an update. An update requires that you send your box in and we'll send you a new one. There's no charge for this.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Advanced

Anyone know if/when the group buy thread will be back up? May have to just order elsewhere
Old 07-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by theoryzero
Anyone know if/when the group buy thread will be back up? May have to just order elsewhere
It's back up now.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by frogywill
Cool trick, thanks for that. I just tried it out in my car. It worked, but you lose control from the headunit after you do it. I haven't tried to figure out how to force it back into accessory mode yet.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

I got my R3 kit installed on my 07 TSX, overall it works great....

BUT

sometimes it does not "activate" and I have to turn my car on/off again. Why is this happening? I find this unacceptable. It has happened 3-4 times since I got it installed 3 days ago.

Also, sometimes my iPod will not auto play, it will be initializing then stay in "pause" mode, I basically have to skip to the next track or hit the XM button on the stereo.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by demenion

BUT

sometimes it does not "activate" and I have to turn my car on/off again. Why is this happening? I find this unacceptable. It has happened 3-4 times since I got it installed 3 days ago.

Also, sometimes my iPod will not auto play, it will be initializing then stay in "pause" mode, I basically have to skip to the next track or hit the XM button on the stereo.
Does it make a difference in how quickly you turn the key? Like if you pause in the ACC before you crank the engine.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Racer

BUT

Mine has this exact problem as well. Very annoying. Same thing with the pause. Both happen about every other time I turn on the car. It's a big pain when I don't notice and drive off--I have to turn the car off at a stoplight to bring the unit back online.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Racer

Mine has this exact problem as well. Very annoying. Same thing with the pause. Both happen about every other time I turn on the car. It's a big pain when I don't notice and drive off--I have to turn the car off at a stoplight to bring the unit back online.
Do you have a 07 TSX as well?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Advanced

I got the kit installed last night, just had this issue where the DICE doesn't get recognized twice in a row at lunch. I have a 2005 TSX w/ Nav.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

Does it make a difference in how quickly you turn the key? Like if you pause in the ACC before you crank the engine.
I don't think it matters, just seems random... not sure if temperature effects it either...

it's happened @ night and during the day (TX is hot during the day)
Old 07-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Racer

Sounds good, we'll look into it.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:57 AM
3rd Gear

No Text with 2004's, Correct?

I have a 2004 with Nav. I am under the impression that there is no way to get text on the nav screen for the 2004's according to what I have read here and what I see on the Dice site. This is because they did not have an XM option in 2004, so the SAT input does not exist. Nick, can you or someone else confirm this? Is there any way this will ever be an option for the 2004's, possibly through the CD-C connection? Thanks for the info.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Advanced

so there arent any issues with the device not powering on for the 05 models? also i think i read somewhere back in the mess that this uses the bottom ipod plug and pulls a signal that isnt changable from the ipod click wheel correct?

thanks

mike
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by benstahl83
I have a 2004 with Nav. I am under the impression that there is no way to get text on the nav screen for the 2004's according to what I have read here and what I see on the Dice site. This is because they did not have an XM option in 2004, so the SAT input does not exist. Nick, can you or someone else confirm this? Is there any way this will ever be an option for the 2004's, possibly through the CD-C connection? Thanks for the info.
Correct. NO TEXT on the 2004 TSX.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:20 AM
Cruisin'

Any update on the problems with the DICE unit? It happens about 2-3 times a day.

I am at the point where I do not even turn the key fully until I see the XM has actually activated on the stereo. besides this problem, it works great..

Anyway, hopefully there will be a fix soon.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by miken5678
so there arent any issues with the device not powering on for the 05 models? also i think i read somewhere back in the mess that this uses the bottom ipod plug and pulls a signal that isnt changable from the ipod click wheel correct?

thanks

mike

I'm not fully understanding the question, can you clairify?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Racer

Any update on the problems with the DICE unit? It happens about 2-3 times a day.

I am at the point where I do not even turn the key fully until I see the XM has actually activated on the stereo. besides this problem, it works great..

Anyway, hopefully there will be a fix soon.

Not yet. We are locating a car with the issue, but it seems to be a rare complaint. But if you don't want to wait I can exchange it for you to see if the module is faulty.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced

err sorry didnt make much sense..

am i correct to assume the output from the bottom ipod plug is a fixed output so you dont have to fiddle with the clickwheel volume and the stereo volume? like a preamp output?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by miken5678
err sorry didnt make much sense..

am i correct to assume the output from the bottom ipod plug is a fixed output so you dont have to fiddle with the clickwheel volume and the stereo volume? like a preamp output?
Correct.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Cruisin'

Not yet. We are locating a car with the issue, but it seems to be a rare complaint. But if you don't want to wait I can exchange it for you to see if the module is faulty.
I appreciate it but I will wait a bit and see if the problem can be fixed.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Racer

I appreciate it but I will wait a bit and see if the problem can be fixed.

It most certainly can be fixed, no worries on that. We just need a car with the problem so we can see exactly what the computer is saying.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 PM
6th Gear

new to the board, love my tsx i read up this product and within a couple hours i was sold. it arrived today, i installed it, sound works but couple issues that i hope can be resolved. 1st, when i have the original factory plug into the connector, ipod works but xm is in the background (barely hear it) but text isnt there (no song/band names) when i unplug the factory plug, touchscreen doesnt work and sound is fine but again no text. what i am doing wrong?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hattrick74
new to the board, love my tsx i read up this product and within a couple hours i was sold. it arrived today, i installed it, sound works but couple issues that i hope can be resolved. 1st, when i have the original factory plug into the connector, ipod works but xm is in the background (barely hear it) but text isnt there (no song/band names) when i unplug the factory plug, touchscreen doesnt work and sound is fine but again no text. what i am doing wrong?
You didn't unplug the XM reciever first.

I assume that you're not planning on keeping XM?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:17 AM
6th Gear

ya I do mind losing xm
Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

anyone with a non-nav tsx able to post some pictures of the head unit displaying ipod text?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 AM
6th Gear

where do i unplug the xm receiver?
Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ruffellprefley
anyone with a non-nav tsx able to post some pictures of the head unit displaying ipod text?
Here's a couple. I also made a movie that shows how the text updates, but I don't know how to easily host this. I've had the unit a couple weeks now, here's some of my initial feedback:

Installation is super easy in a TSX, as plenty of other threads show. Make sure the correct DIP switches are set on the unit, though, for the mode of operation you want. Controls work fine, although it took me awhile to figure out that the "tune" knob on our radio is the same as the tune buttons referenced in the manual (I was looking for a button that didn't exist). Sound quality is fine, and basically the unit works as advertised.

By pressing different preselect buttons, you put the steering wheel and radio controls into different modes. 1 cycles through songs, 2 cycles through playlists, etc. So if you want to change playlists, you press 2, then cycle with the channel +/- buttons, then push 1 again to be able to cycles songs.

There are different ways to display the text as well as change the scroll settings, but to be honest I haven't played with this much. Text only seems to scroll in "NAME" mode, which just puts the track name and album, but not artist. Otherwise the display flashes back and forth between song*artist and album.

However, there are a few things that are disappointing annoyances. First, about 50% of the time if you just start the car, the DICE unit won't turn on. It's annoying to restart the car just to get audio, especially if you're in a hurry or are already on the freeway before you realize what happened. Just now I thought of trying to power cycle just the radio--I'll try that next time the problem happens. Second, sometimes the unit will start up but the ipod will be in "pause" (the text "PAUSED" is on the radio screen). The only way to get out of this, since our radios don't have a play button, is to skip to the next track, or dig the actual ipod out and push play on it. Third, more rarely the unit will power on, but stay in "INIT" mode and not recognize the ipod (or even power it on). It seems like power cycling the car doesn't work, but this hasn't happened enough times that I can say for sure. What did work was to manually turn the ipod on--maybe this happens when the ipod battery totally dies (it does the apple logo startup)?

Overall, the unit seems pretty good. DICE online tech support is completely worthless and mostly unresponsive, however--I got more help here. I'm guessing that most folks who would buy this are pretty picky, like me, and don't want to use the TSX Aux jack , so the minor annoyances I've encountered will probably bug these folks too. I bought the unit to charge my ipod, and more importantly, remove the temptation to change songs with the ipod while driving (so dangerous), and it gets the job done. Let me know if anybody wants more info or pictures.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Here's a couple. I also made a movie that shows how the text updates, but I don't know how to easily host this. I've had the unit a couple weeks now, here's some of my initial feedback:
Excellent info!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:16 PM
6th Gear

Just now I thought of trying to power cycle just the radio--I'll try that next time the problem happens. Second, sometimes the unit will start up but the ipod will be in "pause" (the text "PAUSED" is on the radio screen). The only way to get out of this, since our radios don't have a play button, is to skip to the next track, or dig the actual ipod out and push play on it. Third, more rarely the unit will power on, but stay in "INIT" mode and not recognize the ipod (or even power it on). It seems like power cycling the car doesn't work, but this hasn't happened enough times that I can say for sure. What did work was to manually turn the ipod on--maybe this happens when the ipod battery totally dies (it does the apple logo startup)?
Cycling the radio power doesn't work once the car is started--I've tried it many times. When the unit starts "PAUSED," I just hit the search button twice. To add to the list, I've had my iPod reset on me a couple of times. I've gotten into the habit of putting the car into acc. 1 to see if it recognizes the unit, before starting the car.

It's still a good unit most of the time. I do hope these issues get resolved without us having to purchase a new unit.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:58 AM
Intermediate

So the basic idea here is that no ipod integration works very well in the TSX.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:12 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mgmt2
So the basic idea here is that no ipod integration works very well in the TSX.
ouch man..
to be honest i installed my dice
and i gotta admit i like it a lot. esp after doing the audio button for 5 seconds.. to cycle what shows up.

only thing i miss about musiclink is that you can play random
random all albums
or random all songs....

but i can still get to this via ipod..

i saw the other guys post about mounting the dice unit under the glove for easy access to the aux..

personally, i found that i could mount it to the blower unit with double sided tape.. once i get the tape i'll snap some pix for you guys.. its a perfect fit for the unit... the reason i chose this spot is a) the unit gets a little hot.. and figured having that in the cabin with all the wires just didnt feel right..
but most importantly

i wanted to keep the ipod in the glove.. [you can lock it up] and i'm lazy to take it out and put it there.. lol. so having the unit here will give me the longest length of ipod cord... i really wish it was retractable though. so the cord could be pulled in and out...

does anyone know how to make that happen??
Old 08-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Racer

ya I do mind losing xm

If you keep your XM, you can't have text.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Racer

where do i unplug the xm receiver?

From the trunk.

Quick Reply: DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec