DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MeHoo
Your web support lady just emailed me and told me they were shipping the unit to me.. the problem with that is that i already cancelled the order like a month ago... sigh.

your product could be the best ever but your company's business practices lack. As "experienced" as DICE may be, they need to learn a few things from other companies in the service area.

You seem to actually care, which is why im tellin you this.

I would say PM your name but I can't accept them yet
If you haven't emailed her already, email me with the same name you used to order. nick@diceelectronics.com And I'll look at it in the morning. I'm chilling on the couch working on another project today.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick@DICE
I'm no engineer, but I've been told that our setup is very unique - one of the reasons why our device remains unlocked and will still support remote command, text display, etc etc and no one else does. If you count the years they worked with Dension/they were Dension USA, DICE is the most experienced company for this sort of thing. It wouldn't surprise me that they know a few things that others don't.
Well, they certainly know how to get the text enabled on the display when no one else does (or at least, has a real world product for it yet) and you can't count that out. I'd die for a solution that worked with text and XM, but I'm aware there are currently limitations.

I am familiar with the way all iPod peripherals receive the audio signal, and there is nothing special about that. Same with passing control commands back to the unit, and even reading text out of the iPod. Its translating this information back into the can bus in a format useful to Acura that your product has nailed.

Nick, is it correct that the R3 & R4 have a stereo jack for inbound aux signal as well as the iPod control? Is it stereo mini (1/8" headphone-like plug type) or is it full RCA jacks?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Reach
Well, they certainly know how to get the text enabled on the display when no one else does (or at least, has a real world product for it yet) and you can't count that out. I'd die for a solution that worked with text and XM, but I'm aware there are currently limitations.

I am familiar with the way all iPod peripherals receive the audio signal, and there is nothing special about that. Same with passing control commands back to the unit, and even reading text out of the iPod. Its translating this information back into the can bus in a format useful to Acura that your product has nailed.

Nick, is it correct that the R3 & R4 have a stereo jack for inbound aux signal as well as the iPod control? Is it stereo mini (1/8" headphone-like plug type) or is it full RCA jacks?
Actually, the R3 and R4 units are the same box - only the cable is different. The R2 (for older model Honda/Acura) has different programming.

All of the iPod and HD modules have the stereo jack - it is indeed a 3.5mm - 1/8" jack. More people have this type of cable lying around so it made more sense. But you wanted RCA, you can plug in a 3.5mm male to RCA adapter. Any sort of electronics store will have these.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Racer

...and I can do PM's now.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Racer

Nick, can you explain why the Neo (it said "Dice" when turned on, so I assume it was rebranded) unit I purchased and returned a few months ago didn't work with my TSX non-navi? I could get audio just fine, but never any text aside from the "Dice" on startup. The Neo "tech support" said they were working on an update, but I got tired of waiting.

Was this a firmware update or something? Do the R3/R4 units have this? Basically, I'm ready to buy a Dice unit but I want to make sure I don't repeat the same situation.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jswim99
Nick, can you explain why the Neo (it said "Dice" when turned on, so I assume it was rebranded) unit I purchased and returned a few months ago didn't work with my TSX non-navi? I could get audio just fine, but never any text aside from the "Dice" on startup. The Neo "tech support" said they were working on an update, but I got tired of waiting.

Was this a firmware update or something? Do the R3/R4 units have this? Basically, I'm ready to buy a Dice unit but I want to make sure I don't repeat the same situation.
I'm sorry but I can't comment on the Neo product.

But I can say that currently there isn't a problem with text on TSX's on DICE products, I've read a few TSX'ers on this board that have been happy with it actually - you would have to use it in XM/SAT mode for text of course, so assuming you didn't have XM and since you don't have Navi you need the R3.
I gotta find some pics of the TSX, I remember that we rented one a few months back, I'm pretty sure we took some pics of the screen. hopefully I can find them.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:28 AM
3rd Gear

Dice unit for MDX w/ Navi

Hi folks! I'm new to Acurazine (just purchased an MDX with tech and ent pkg). I would love to be able to integrate my iPod with the Acura, but want to be sure that the r4 that folks are mentioning will meet my needs...

I'm looking to be able to see the playlists/songs on the Navi screen and be able to control the iPod from the dashboard rather than the iPod itself.

The r4 unit looks to be the solution... confirmation anyone?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by blee1
Hi folks! I'm new to Acurazine (just purchased an MDX with tech and ent pkg). I would love to be able to integrate my iPod with the Acura, but want to be sure that the r4 that folks are mentioning will meet my needs...

I'm looking to be able to see the playlists/songs on the Navi screen and be able to control the iPod from the dashboard rather than the iPod itself.

The r4 unit looks to be the solution... confirmation anyone?

Thanks!
If you mean to navigate the iPod using the mouse/joystick, such a thing is not possible with a Honda computer system. You'll be able to select the song/playlists/albums using the up and down keys on your steering wheel and headunit, and see what's currently playing on the screen. Yes-the R4 is the correct one for you.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks, Nick! Is the Dice ipod integration unit something that I can install myself or should I look for a reputable installer in my area?

Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Racer

Thanks, Nick! Is the Dice ipod integration unit something that I can install myself or should I look for a reputable installer in my area?

Thanks again!
Hmm. I took apart a 07 MDX once. It wasn't the easiest thing in the world. Wasn't nearly as bad as an Accord either. I think you'll be a-ok doing it yourself.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
FWIW, I installed the Dice module in my 330Ci and it was the best mod I've done to it so far.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Racer

Thanks again!
Blee, do you by chance live in the Southern California area?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:49 AM
3rd Gear

Nick:

No... no such luck, I live in the frozen tundra (near Green Bay, WI).

thanks again for your help with my questions. I am going to try and find an installer in my area to put in an r4 unit in my MDX!

Bill
Old 06-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

What effect will any aftermarket installation have on my warranty?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mgmt2
What effect will any aftermarket installation have on my warranty?
Not much - this is the legal rule of thumb when it comes to ANY aftermarket piece installed in any part of the car:
Although the installation of non-manufactur parts and aftermarket modifications, by themselves, will not void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, failures that result from these parts and/or modifications may result in a denial of warranty coverage for such failures or damage.
So, if you install something into the radio and it causes the radio to blow up into 40 different pieces, they can deny your warranty on that part only. BUT they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. If they can't, they have to honor the warranty. Pretty simple.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Racer

Nick:

No... no such luck, I live in the frozen tundra (near Green Bay, WI).

thanks again for your help with my questions. I am going to try and find an installer in my area to put in an r4 unit in my MDX!

Bill
Ah well, worth a shot. Enjoy it!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Nick are you located in the Southern California area and available for installation?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jayq16
Nick are you located in the Southern California area and available for installation?
I'm not an installer per se - but we will do installs at our engineering dept for no charge if it's a car we would like to log computer data from or to test a newer version of the product. May I ask what kind of car you have and what year?

If it's not something we need, I can recommend a installer who knows our kits very very well in the area.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Advanced

It would be for a 2007 Acura TSX. However, I am still deciding on the whole iPod integration thing and would love to see some pics of it on a TSX with text through the navi first.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Racer

It would be for a 2007 Acura TSX. However, I am still deciding on the whole iPod integration thing and would love to see some pics of it on a TSX with text through the navi first.
Unfortunatly no one can find any of the ones we took before! Annoying!

Anyway, we'd like if you can come by sometime soon. We'll give you the kit and install it for you in exchange for a few hours of time with the car. And I'll take a few pics (again) for future reference. I'll PM you my cell phone number and we'll set this up. Sound ok?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Advanced

That would be fine, however first I need to finish dealing with the dealership. I am one of the unfortunate ones that was lied to about when buying the car about the OEM music link model. The thing is horrible and does not do at all what the dealer said. I am trying to get them to remove it and refund my money. If this happens, then I will for sure be interested in discussing further the Dice model. PM me with your info and I can let you know how it turns out with the dealership (and I am not giving up easily).
Old 06-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Racer

Ok, so you can't get PM's yet. Call me at 888.342.3999 xt. 123 and we can set this up or you can email me at nick@diceelectronics.com - and thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Racer

That would be fine, however first I need to finish dealing with the dealership. I am one of the unfortunate ones that was lied to about when buying the car about the OEM music link model. The thing is horrible and does not do at all what the dealer said. I am trying to get them to remove it and refund my money. If this happens, then I will for sure be interested in discussing further the Dice model. PM me with your info and I can let you know how it turns out with the dealership (and I am not giving up easily).
I couldn't PM you yet. You need more posts I believe. We'll remove the OEM kit if you like, no big deal.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Racer

BTW folks, we already know the kit works in 04-07 TSX's so no worries on that - we just want to try out something new and exciting.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Intermediate

OEM music link model? On the TSX? Could you fill me in on this? Are you talking about the auxillary jack in the console? I'm considering getting an 07 TSX myself and I want to know more. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Mgmt2,

There is an OEM solution called Music Link. However, many of the users of it have reported that it does not work properly, features are missing, or it does not work at all. It also costs somewhere north of $250. There are at least 2 good aftermarket units (including the Dice) that provide all of the features of OEM and more for ~$100 less. Also: they actually work.

I advise people to stay away from the Music Link.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Definitely stay away from the OEM model. It is horrible. The only use you get out of the navi is to move between tracks and you can't see any text for the names of the songs. Plus you have to deal with a unclear robot voice to try to get to playlists, if you research the product you will figure out what I mean. And this feature always takes me to the wrong playlist. I did not know this when I purchased the POS, and I mistakenly relied on what the dealership told me. Two salesmen told me it would be completely integrated through the navi, and I made sure that they promised me that it would show the text on the navi screen so that I could scroll through playlists and songs. I was promised this, since they had no brochures what so ever on the product. And after install, the Music Link was not cheap. Now I have been dealing with them to try and get refunded and the POS taken out. They told me all they could do is give me a free carwash! Also, the salesman that I dealt with of course is now saying that he told me all it could do is play through the speakers and that it would just "connect" to the navi. I am currently waiting to hear back from corporate on what else can be done. When I spoke with them yesterday, the corporate claims inspector told me that he can't believe they sold me the Music Link because his records show that it is not even fully compatible with the 2007 TSX! He is now discussing terms with the dealership.

I am now looking into the DICE system, which seems to me it may be a solution to the iPod integration thing.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely stay away from the OEM model. It is horrible. The only use you get out of the navi is to move between tracks and you can't see any text for the names of the songs. Plus you have to deal with a unclear robot voice to try to get to playlists, if you research the product you will figure out what I mean. And this feature always takes me to the wrong playlist. I did not know this when I purchased the POS, and I mistakenly relied on what the dealership told me. Two salesmen told me it would be completely integrated through the navi, and I made sure that they promised me that it would show the text on the navi screen so that I could scroll through playlists and songs. I was promised this, since they had no brochures what so ever on the product. And after install, the Music Link was not cheap. Now I have been dealing with them to try and get refunded and the POS taken out. They told me all they could do is give me a free carwash! Also, the salesman that I dealt with of course is now saying that he told me all it could do is play through the speakers and that it would just "connect" to the navi. I am currently waiting to hear back from corporate on what else can be done. When I spoke with them yesterday, the corporate claims inspector told me that he can't believe they sold me the Music Link because his records show that it is not even fully compatible with the 2007 TSX! He is now discussing terms with the dealership.

I am now looking into the DICE system, which seems to me it may be a solution to the iPod integration thing.
'

dude.
you need to change your tts voice on windows... check out cepstral or at&ts natural speaking voices.. my pos musiclink sounds just like the hfl voice..
also you reaad the manual carefully.... as long as ur crap in itunes is organized.. it'll work perfect! you hold down the skip button for two seconds.. it will say the alphabet.. when you hear the letter of the artist/genre/album/playlist tap it once. then hold it again for 3 seconds.. it will then read off each artist/genra/album/playlist/ [depending on what cd # ur on] 5 = random albums hold it down for a second it'll skip to the next.. even when u get into ONE album u can then randomize it up... cd 6 = random songs.. [how i generally listen to my ipod]

acura's musiclink is actually a good solution for people who need to drive... but stil want to enjoy music... i can push the button.. let it scroll thru and then shift...
you cant' really blame them for the robot voice.. lol thats Windows default tts voice... pm me if you need a tts voice or something.. i may be able to help you out.
i believe you could even speed up the voice.. so that the alphabet goes faster...

overall dice still hasn't showed us one TSX pic with it installed and working... sigh. i'm just hoping acura gets this stuff further developed and releases another update... [but i still kinda feel ur pain in a way b/c you bought it.... i had my salesperson buy it for me as collateral]...............

hope this changes your perspective a lil.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vthree
'

dude.
you need to change your tts voice on windows... check out cepstral or at&ts natural speaking voices.. my pos musiclink sounds just like the hfl voice..
also you reaad the manual carefully.... as long as ur crap in itunes is organized.. it'll work perfect! you hold down the skip button for two seconds.. it will say the alphabet.. when you hear the letter of the artist/genre/album/playlist tap it once. then hold it again for 3 seconds.. it will then read off each artist/genra/album/playlist/ [depending on what cd # ur on] 5 = random albums hold it down for a second it'll skip to the next.. even when u get into ONE album u can then randomize it up... cd 6 = random songs.. [how i generally listen to my ipod]

acura's musiclink is actually a good solution for people who need to drive... but stil want to enjoy music... i can push the button.. let it scroll thru and then shift...
you cant' really blame them for the robot voice.. lol thats Windows default tts voice... pm me if you need a tts voice or something.. i may be able to help you out.
i believe you could even speed up the voice.. so that the alphabet goes faster...

overall dice still hasn't showed us one TSX pic with it installed and working... sigh. i'm just hoping acura gets this stuff further developed and releases another update... [but i still kinda feel ur pain in a way b/c you bought it.... i had my salesperson buy it for me as collateral]...............

hope this changes your perspective a lil.
I know what you are saying about changing the voice an all, haven't done it yet but did read about it. However, this does not change the fact that the salesman told me I would see text on the screen and use navi screen functions to scroll through the iPod. I had never looked into iPod integration before, and this was my first Acura experience, so I believed the salesman and did not know that this technology was not available through them.

I am glad that you enjoy yours and have got it to work to it's best potential, and maybe I will be stuck with it and definately need to PM you for your help on getting it to work better. But this doesn't change the fact that I was lied to, and it cost a ton of money with installation. With the price of the Music Link, I just don't think the cost is justified with it's current functionality. You can go through your entire iPod music library with the scroll in half the time it takes to get to a specific song through the music link, all you need to do is spend $5 on a aux cable.

Just my opinion though, I am happy you have yours working the way you like it. But I am also sure you got a way better deal than I did on the product, if not then you should be pissed.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 AM
08 MDX with Sports

I just have one simple question, friend with 2005 TSX no-Navi got Neo and works great with text and steering wheel control.

I have 2004 Tsx With-Navi, what do I need? Dice R3 or R4 to have same results?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Newplay1
I just have one simple question, friend with 2005 TSX no-Navi got Neo and works great with text and steering wheel control.

I have 2004 Tsx With-Navi, what do I need? Dice R3 or R4 to have same results?

You'll need the R4 kit since you have Navi.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:49 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
somebody w/ a tsx please buy the unit so we can see it in action!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MeHoo
if im not mistaken, Reach, the USA-SPEC one is nearly the same [if not the same] as the stock Acura one? I assume this due to the cd changer method being implemented.. they seem to be the only ones doing that.

From what i hear text doesnt work at all on these unfortunately.
I've got a 2nd gen TL Type S....w/ the cassette deck AND in dash 6 disc changer....do I have any recourse for an ipod adapter or am I stuck using a cassette adapter/RF modulator?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mestizoracer310
I've got a 2nd gen TL Type S....w/ the cassette deck AND in dash 6 disc changer....do I have any recourse for an ipod adapter or am I stuck using a cassette adapter/RF modulator?

2nd Gen, what year was that - 98 to 03 right? You can use a DICE kit, but you're not going to have text sadly. The TL's didn't get that feature til 04. You need the i-Honda-R2 kit.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear

2006 TSX x/nav picts

I finally broke down and ordered the Dice. Took 5 minutes to install. Yes it works! With text and steering wheel control. Still learning the controls, but I'm happy. I've got xm bleed thru. Anyone remember the solution? Still searching.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

XM bleed-through w/ a true aux port was fixed w/ a TSB by Acura. I had the issue and received a new XM receiver unit free from my local dealer, this corrected it. However, since you're now using the XM port and not the CD-C port, this could be a further complicated issue, possibly invloving the DICE.

I would say switch the Dice unit to the CD-C (non-text) port and see if you still have the issue. If you still have it, it could be the TSB. If it goes away, it might be the Dice.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by brian2915
I finally broke down and ordered the Dice. Took 5 minutes to install. Yes it works! With text and steering wheel control. Still learning the controls, but I'm happy. I've got xm bleed thru. Anyone remember the solution? Still searching.

Thanks for the pics!

The bleed through is because you're running the DICE kit in SAT mode and you still have the XM radio attached. You can't run two SAT kits in a honda at the same time - you need to switch the DICE kit to CD mode, but you're going to lose text since Honda radios don't support text input for external CD changers.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

So, you also need to unplug your XM receiver to properly enable ipod + text?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2915

Nice...looking at your pictures, it appears that the text scrolls? is this true? if so, its true for both artist AND title?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Reach
So, you also need to unplug your XM receiver to properly enable ipod + text?

Right. ALL Honda radios only support text from one external source - SAT kits. Trouble is, they didn't add support for multiple kits at once, specifically the ability to switch between two of them.

So in order for you to have text from your iPod, you need to use the DICE kit in SAT mode. Meaning that even though it's an iPod playing, the car thinks that there is actually a satellite radio kit attached. But if you have XM, the car suddenly sees 2 SAT kits and gets really confused.

That's why we added CD mode - but Honda radios don't allow for text import from external CD changers so there's no way to import text while using it in CD mode. All the steering wheel controls work, you can still charge the iPod, there are no limitations to how many playlists or songs you can have, etc etc but you won't have text.

So, XM + iPod = No text from iPod
iPod by itself = Text from iPod

Quick Reply: DICE ipod integration vs. usaspec