2004 non-nav w/ tape deck: ipod hookup

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 non-nav w/ tape deck: ipod hookup

So I have a 2004 TSX without nav, 6-disk CD changer in dash, and with the Acura tape deck installed underneath the climate control. Originally, I bought the tape deck because I thought I would just hook my ipod up through a conversion unit. However, that sounded just awful.

Next step was to contact a local audio system shop. They told me that for my setup, I needed an FM modulator. So I got that installed. Although this sounds better than the tape deck, I am still not satisfied with the sound.

Finally, I'm doing some research on here about after market adapters that will hook an ipod to the TSX interface. My only problem is interpretting all the conflicting answers. My question is:

Is there any way to hook up an ipod through the aux source (where the tape deck is plugged in) on my car? Does this solution mean that the tape deck will stop working?

I know ipod questions are common, and I have been doing my due dilegence on searching for my answer, but have not stumbled across my exact situation. So, I appoligize in advance if I am reposting.

Thank you,
Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you will lose the tape deck if you try something like the USASpec or DICE unit because they will be the new AUX input. I'd ditch the tape deck and buy a new cubby to put in it's place (unless all of your music is on tapes!)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Instructor

I have the USASpec adaptor, and yes it connects to the Tape Player input in the headunit, but the cable has another CD Changer/Tape Deck Input on it (2 outputs on the same end). I'm not 100% sure how it would run a Tape player and Ipod on the same wire, but it looks like it has all the correct connections.

By the way, if your iPod is plugged in directly to the deck (ie. Not the headphone port) it will be CD quality, clear and loud. Much better than an FM transmitter. I had one of those before I got my adaptor.

Last edited by R.Tosh; 01-08-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the help both.

R.Tosh: Do you have a link to the correct USASpec adapter so I can make sure I am buying the correct one?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM
4th Gear

Is the PA11-HON2Y the correct part?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is the correct part
Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Instructor

yes thats it. Just make sure you get one with an iPod cable compatible to your iPod. I have an 80gb Classic and it charges it. My sister has a new Nano Chromatic and it plays, but doesn't charge it.

If your going to install it yourself, get a mirror. I was having a very difficult time trying to plug the wires into the deck until I realized using a mirror is much easier lol. Its basically plug and play though. No cutting wires or anything.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:38 PM
4th Gear

So I was talking to my audio guy and he informed me that their company has had bad luck with USASpec parts and that they tend to flake out.

I know I read a few threads like that around here, but I don't know if they were about this specific part (I think it might have been for a previous version - given the 2Y in the part number, I'm assuming this is the second revision). Does anyone know how reliable this part is? Does it work fine, or is it likely to give me headaches?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Hybrid

Originally Posted by mtdewulf
So I was talking to my audio guy and he informed me that their company has had bad luck with USASpec parts and that they tend to flake out.

I know I read a few threads like that around here, but I don't know if they were about this specific part (I think it might have been for a previous version - given the 2Y in the part number, I'm assuming this is the second revision). Does anyone know how reliable this part is? Does it work fine, or is it likely to give me headaches?
Don't know why your audio guy was having problems with USA Spec as this is opposite of my experience. In fact, I installed a BlitzSafe into my sister's '07 Accord and she has had issues (intermittently connects when first starting) not to mention less functionality compared with the USA Spec (will only allow for volume control of iPod).

I installed the USA Spec PA11-HON2 almost 3 years ago and experienced only one small problem with it. After contacting USASpec they told me the issue was due to an incompatibility with the TSX. They upgraded me to the USA Spec PA11-HON2y for $12 and have had no problems since.

I originally purchased mine from Enfig and was very satisfied with their service.

You will notice both the USA Spec PA11-HON2 and PA11-HON2y have been discontinued. They have been replaced with the PA15-HON2, I don't know why but I suspect it may have to do with newer iPod compatibility?

Here are pics from my install which may possibly help as well - good luck.