USA Spec Adapter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA Spec Adapter Issue

Last week I installed a USA Spec PA11-HON2Y adapter in my 2004 TSX with navigation. The installation was a breeze but there is one small problems with the adapter.

If I use the car to advance from track to track, either from the steering wheel or the stereo buttons, I can hear a single, small crack in the song approximately 7 seconds into playback. However, this noise does not occur if I use my ipod to transition between songs, or if the ipod auto-advances from track to track.

I've checked all the connections and everything seems fine. My first thought was that there was some sort of power or grounding issue, but considering that I can reproduce the problem 100% of the time and it always occurs at the 7 second mark, I'm thinking there might be a bigger problem.

I have a call into USA Spec, but in the meantime, I wanted to check in with anyone else that is using the same adapter. Have you noticed anything similar with your setup?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Racer

I spoke with USA Spec, and after our conversation, I'm convinced that the problem is with my iPod (6th Gen. Classic, 120GB).

I mentioned that the pop occurs exactly 7 seconds into every song. Well, after playing around with my setup for a while, I realized that this what the same moment that my iPod turned off its screen after switching tracks.

I've updated the firmware and the problem remains. I'm not sure what else can be done.

I'm still curious to see if anyone else reports a similar problem.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Hybrid

Originally Posted by daniel1113
I spoke with USA Spec, and after our conversation, I'm convinced that the problem is with my iPod (6th Gen. Classic, 120GB).

I mentioned that the pop occurs exactly 7 seconds into every song. Well, after playing around with my setup for a while, I realized that this what the same moment that my iPod turned off its screen after switching tracks.

I've updated the firmware and the problem remains. I'm not sure what else can be done.

I'm still curious to see if anyone else reports a similar problem.
I too installed a USA Spec PA11-HON2 several years ago and had a similar issue but it was due to a compatibility with the Acura head unit. USA Spec upgraded me for a small fee to the PA11-HON2y and that solved it.

After reading your initial post my immediate reaction was, he must have the newer iPod. I still have my 5G Video 80GB and have had no further problems since.

I'm fairly certain Apple completely redesigned the 6th Gen. Classic along with the software. This created all kinds of headaches for companies selling interface devices. In fact, many iPod home and portable docking systems are generally not compatible and typically cost more.

Here is what I would suggest, try to get your hands on and connect an older iPod to your USA Spec PA11-HON2Y to confirm. If it works without problem, it's the iPod and not the interface. Contact USA Spec again and ask them to upgrade your interface to their newest one, the PA15-HON2 should be compatible.

Here is where I purchased my interface (scroll to bottom) and you will notice both the USA Spec PA11-HON2 and PA11-HON2y have been discontinued.

BTW, if you do upgrade and have to remove your module, consider relocating it to the rear of the center console. I installed it this way and it makes it far easier to remove or change settings.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited by hiptech; 01-15-2009 at 04:39 PM.