TLX Type S release thread; prices, trims and availability

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 10:24 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out over time with the TLX-S. Are there really enough morons willing to pay 60K for this car? Initially, there may be some, but I don't see how they can sustain that kind of mark-up. My prediction is that by this time next year a TLX-S can be purchased for 47-49K, especially if they're not moving and conquest/loyalty discounts are available. And who knows? By then it will be the 2022 model and maybe they'll add the HUD and surround camera and some new colors.

Unfortunately there's enough morons out there to pay 60K for this vehicle, as there are enough morons out there to pay 60-70K for a fucking civic type-r . The other unfortunate part is, a majority of the cheerleading squad on this forum won't bother to buy the TLX or the TLX-S but will tell you how superior this car is. Doesn't seem so positive when loyal enthusiast aren't interested either.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021), someguy11 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 11:28 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Welcome back to Monday!

So far, I can only count with my fingertips for the number of true fans putting in their deposits for the Type-S. Let's be honest here, it's all about $$$. Unless you are comfortably afforded the new Type-S, you will not trade in your 2.0T Accord or TLX. And if you are that financially comfortable, there are others that you can cross-shop with including used AMG, S/RS, M cars if you want more power.

In the end, most people will say my car still runs like a champ, I'll wait until I am ready for a new ride.
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
I'm really curious, did anyone get a quote from dealers in Canada? If our inventory is even more limited, I wonder how much they'll charge for the Type-S.
bilirubin (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by SRB-TL
I went to local Acura on Saturday with a friend to test drive the new MDX. One line about MDX: Slow underpowered boat. We asked about TLX-S and he said it will be there towards the middle of June. This is the highest ranked Acura in the Midwest, run by great people. They have both an Acura and a Honda dealer in the group. Never felt any hard sales, in many, many visits over the past 10-15 years. However, even as high end and no pressure sale dealer, they said it would be at least $3K over the MSRP, more likely closer to $10K. I asked him how do they justify that kind of price gouging, he put his arms up in a "don't know" fashion. This dealer had few PMC Acura models last year and even those were being sold quite a lot under MSRP. So to see them break character after decades of reputation to sell over MSRP is very disappointing. Nothing says they have to. It's purely their choice. I made a comment that it will hurt their hard earned reputation far more than few thousand dollars they'll upcharge it. Back in 2017 and pretty much since, I've tried to get people to stop paying MSRP for the Civic Type R. I can't get through to people that it's their fault dealers are charging more than MSRP. If people would stop paying it, the market would take care of rest. Something tells me that same will happen with the TLX-S. People will pay $10K mark-up and dealers will continue to charge it...because they can.
I asked this before & did not get an answer. Did the PMC car go with an ADM. If so how long did it last? Finally are there any unsold NEW PCM's left. I know some dealers IIRC are currently selling units in the low $40K range. Don't know if they are used or leftovers. Could give a clue as to how long a ADM might last on the TYPE-S. Shorting production will not hurt the ADM market either.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Unfortunately there's enough morons out there to pay 60K for this vehicle, as there are enough morons out there to pay 60-70K for a fucking civic type-r . The other unfortunate part is, a majority of the cheerleading squad on this forum won't bother to buy the TLX or the TLX-S but will tell you how superior this car is. Doesn't seem so positive when loyal enthusiast aren't interested either.
$60,000 is not trivial car money for most Americans. At $60,000 out of pocket the are an awful lot of choices not just performance sedans but some nice semi-luxury cars or full low mileage CPO luxury cars. Especially if 0-60 is not your thing anymore.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-24-2021 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
why are you so concerned about how other people spend their money?
The following 2 users liked this post by Nexx:
Shadow2056 (05-24-2021), WTF.Acura (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 596 Likes on 282 Posts
I wouldn't be paying "Market Adjustment" for the Type S. especially being a mass produced model. The Type R is something that's never been offered in the US and they're numbered units(take that how you will). So to someone that loves them, they're willing to pay mark up on a limited production model. Whereas the Type S has been in the US for a good while and this is going to be something sold regularly at the dealers. I'm not paying $10k mark up on it. But some will. It's whatever the person values. If someone values paying $10k over, that's them. If they don't that's them. Not all will be sold for that much. We don't even seriously know what the price will be. I've seen SOOOO many people talking to Acura sales people who actually have no clue on the price or even when it'll be coming in for sure and how many they'll be getting.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:10 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Nexx
I could care less what people do with their money Jason. It's my opinion, but then again, you're the New car manger at Acura so someone's money is your paycheck.
The following 6 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-24-2021), pyrodan007 (05-24-2021), robnalex (05-24-2021), someguy11 (05-25-2021), vhtran (05-25-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2021, 04:19 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
I wouldn't be paying "Market Adjustment" for the Type S. especially being a mass produced model. The Type R is something that's never been offered in the US and they're numbered units(take that how you will). So to someone that loves them, they're willing to pay mark up on a limited production model. Whereas the Type S has been in the US for a good while and this is going to be something sold regularly at the dealers. I'm not paying $10k mark up on it. But some will. It's whatever the person values. If someone values paying $10k over, that's them. If they don't that's them. Not all will be sold for that much. We don't even seriously know what the price will be. I've seen SOOOO many people talking to Acura sales people who actually have no clue on the price or even when it'll be coming in for sure and how many they'll be getting.
On thing when the TLX-S starts at 53K and marked up to 60k and the civic type-r starts at 38K but certain dealerships mark them up to 60-70K. I don't care how special it is, it's not worth nearly double the cost and kuddos for anyone that can justify spending that amount of $$$. I'm sure there's a few happy salesman that won't bat an eye when someone walks in and buys a vehicle they know it's marked up. What does it matter at that point right? People can spend THEIR money the way they want. Doesn't mean I won't have an opinion about it nor did I tell anyone how to spend their money. But lets keep paying the twisting game because I can play it right back.
The following 3 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-24-2021), Shadow2056 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 04:34 PM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
How people spend their money affects everyone. Some people over pay because they want what they want when they want it and they can. Others over pay because they don’t know any better.
04WDPSeDaN (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

On thing when the TLX-S starts at 53K and marked up to 60k and the civic type-r starts at 38K but certain dealerships mark them up to 60-70K. I don't care how special it is, it's not worth nearly double the cost and kuddos for anyone that can justify spending that amount of $$$. I'm sure there's a few happy salesman that won't bat an eye when someone walks in and buys a vehicle they know it's marked up. What does it matter at that point right? People can spend THEIR money the way they want. Doesn't mean I won't have an opinion about it nor did I tell anyone how to spend their money. But lets keep paying the twisting game because I can play it right back.
Oh no twisting game here. I was agreeing with you. Lol. Like I said, if someone wants to spend 60K on a Type R, that's on them. Lol. I wouldn't be paying a mark up on a regular trim model. That's like paying mark up on an M3. Lol. yes it does effect what others would pay.

My main thing is people need to stop listening to sales people that actually have no clue about pricing or anything about the Type S. I would suggest everyone wait until the car is actually at the dealers to see what they'll be priced at. If they have mark up or not.
04WDPSeDaN (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:09 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Oh no twisting game here. I was agreeing with you. Lol. Like I said, if someone wants to spend 60K on a Type R, that's on them. Lol. I wouldn't be paying a mark up on a regular trim model. That's like paying mark up on an M3. Lol. yes it does effect what others would pay.

My main thing is people need to stop listening to sales people that actually have no clue about pricing or anything about the Type S. I would suggest everyone wait until the car is actually at the dealers to see what they'll be priced at. If they have mark up or not.
I do owe you an apologize and I'm sorry for being abrasive to you. Here's something to know about me and there's plenty of members here who know me personally. Before running a construction business, I worked as an ASE master technician (12+ years) including two Acura dealerships. Do you know why I left Acura? Because I REFUSED to screw hard working people over. Being told by your service manager that we need to "PUSH" up sells and it didn't matter how. Some technicians kept dirty filters on their tool boxes in order to "up sell" filters to customers, which never came out of their vehicles. Service advisors get a commission for selling bs services, parts department get a commission for certain services sold and management concern was sell cars and get a high CSI.

My service manager (2nd Acura dealership) wanted me to CPO a loaner that was in a serious accident and was poorly put back together. I said no, I'm not doing it. He said "you have two options, do the CPO or leave" Guess what, I walked right out that door and NEVER looked back. I've been running an honest construction business for the last 10 years. I hold my customers, sub contractors and vendors to the up most respect. As construction material have gone UP in prices, I've honored contract prices to keep customers happy. I never sell my customers things they don't need. I always pay my vendors and sub contractors in full and before work is started. Even when my sub contractors ask more for their work, I pay them and take the loss before my customers do. 2020 to 2021 I've stopped my payroll over 6 months to assure subs and business expenses were paid. 6 months were I didn't pay myself to make sure I took care of everyone else 1st!

I've offered my place for members here to stay when they fell on hard times or were dealing with mother nature (ask rockstar). The thing that Jason Lee doesn't understand, is that I've been an honest, hard working person all my life. Jason can sell a vehicle to a person know that it's over MSRP, lie about some of the details and can still sleep just fine at night. Remember, I worked for Acura, I know a lot of things your average person here (even the ones that love this brand) will never know or experience. You know how many dealership employees (mostly sales) use dealership vehicles for lunch runs, personal use ect and end up damaging them? Many. Eventually someone who works hard for their money will end up buying one of these abused vehicles. Dealerships are known to be driven by greed and lies. Anything to get your hard earn dollar.

So while Lee thinks I'm telling people what to do with their money, It's far from it (ironically enough coming from a saleman..) As a business owner you understand money and expenses vs the person who doesn't run their own business. If you were to ask me if Lee were in my shoes, would be do the same, I'd tell you no.

My sincerest apologizes Shadow
The following 8 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-24-2021), DJ Iceman (05-28-2021), JDM_DOHC_SiR (05-24-2021), Shadow2056 (05-25-2021), someguy11 (05-25-2021), vhtran (05-25-2021), Vipula AD (05-25-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:31 PM
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
TFL review by the former STIG , ie someone who drives/driven the best of the best, can drive and knows sports cars, loves this car,
, that is pretty much all the endorsement I need!
Old 05-24-2021, 07:48 PM
CtK
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Aurelius
TFL review by the former STIG , ie someone who drives/driven the best of the best, can drive and knows sports cars, loves this car, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMSqtRowKS4&t=4s, that is pretty much all the endorsement I need!
I do not like the guys from tfl. I remember watching some of their videos and they would run 0-60 times on a road that looks like it goes up a hill and then complained the 0-60 time was too slow!!!! lol
The following 2 users liked this post by CtK:
04WDPSeDaN (05-26-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Aurelius
TFL review by the former STIG , ie someone who drives/driven the best of the best, can drive and knows sports cars, loves this car, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMSqtRowKS4&t=4s, that is pretty much all the endorsement I need!
I’ll wait for more independent reviews aside from those invited by Acura to the track. I don’t think they are allowed to give 100% their POV
The following 3 users liked this post by Kense:
04WDPSeDaN (05-26-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-24-2021), ELIN (05-25-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
$60,000 is not trivial car money for most Americans. At $60,000 out of pocket the are an awful lot of choices not just performance sedans but some nice semi-luxury cars or full low mileage CPO luxury cars. Especially if 0-60 is not your thing anymore.
Once the smoke clears and the early buyers are flushed out there will be nobody paying over 50k for a type S. I went the road of a CPO for my S5. Still not cheap at near 45k but new the sticker was over 68k as it was fully optioned out. I got my 07 type S as a leftover at over a 6k discount from sticker just a year after it was released. Early buyers always pay a premium. Good point about a lot of choices at 50-60k particularly if you are willing to go into the CPO market. As for 0-60 if the type S can produce near S4/5 acceleration without being in a special mode that will be fine for most people who haven't owned a "fast" car. I rarely use sport mode (because it's just not needed) in the S5 and even in a normal mode it is like being shot out of a cannon if you put the pedal down halfway sub 50 mph and from a stop it's pretty crazy relative to my 2018 tlx v6 aspec. Just a super fun car to drive and even if the type-s is a tad bit slower but is as responsive outside of sport+ I think it would probably be a fun car. I look forward to actual owner reviews.
robnalex (05-25-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Only absolutely, without a doubt, the only guys who will not be shocked, simply shocked, by these numbers will be those who have zero interest in performance & will buy a i4 anyway.

MT First Look TLX-Type-S

Pros:
Competitive price
Attractive design
Good handling
Cons:
Heavy weight
Short on power
Poor legroom in the rear seat
0-60 MPH 5.3-5.8 sec (MT est)

Looks like they are hoping for a Type-R

"As enthusiasts, we're excited to see the return of the Type S, but as a performance brand, there's more Acura can do to satisfy our wants—the TLX could happily take more power, and we haven't forgotten about the other letter in the alphabet that hasn't yet returned to Acura. We said the Type S is like the Reserva of Spanish wines, will we get to try the Gran Reserva?"
5.3-5.8 would make it slower than the old V6...uh, how does that work??
Old 05-24-2021, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I do owe you an apologize and I'm sorry for being abrasive to you. Here's something to know about me and there's plenty of members here who know me personally. Before running a construction business, I worked as an ASE master technician (12+ years) including two Acura dealerships. Do you know why I left Acura? Because I REFUSED to screw hard working people over. Being told by your service manager that we need to "PUSH" up sells and it didn't matter how. Some technicians kept dirty filters on their tool boxes in order to "up sell" filters to customers, which never came out of their vehicles. Service advisors get a commission for selling bs services, parts department get a commission for certain services sold and management concern was sell cars and get a high CSI.

My service manager (2nd Acura dealership) wanted me to CPO a loaner that was in a serious accident and was poorly put back together. I said no, I'm not doing it. He said "you have two options, do the CPO or leave" Guess what, I walked right out that door and NEVER looked back. I've been running an honest construction business for the last 10 years. I hold my customers, sub contractors and vendors to the up most respect. As construction material have gone UP in prices, I've honored contract prices to keep customers happy. I never sell my customers things they don't need. I always pay my vendors and sub contractors in full and before work is started. Even when my sub contractors ask more for their work, I pay them and take the loss before my customers do. 2020 to 2021 I've stopped my payroll over 6 months to assure subs and business expenses were paid. 6 months were I didn't pay myself to make sure I took care of everyone else 1st!

I've offered my place for members here to stay when they fell on hard times or were dealing with mother nature (ask rockstar). The thing that Jason Lee doesn't understand, is that I've been an honest, hard working person all my life. Jason can sell a vehicle to a person know that it's over MSRP, lie about some of the details and can still sleep just fine at night. Remember, I worked for Acura, I know a lot of things your average person here (even the ones that love this brand) will never know or experience. You know how many dealership employees (mostly sales) use dealership vehicles for lunch runs, personal use ect and end up damaging them? Many. Eventually someone who works hard for their money will end up buying one of these abused vehicles. Dealerships are known to be driven by greed and lies. Anything to get your hard earn dollar.

So while Lee thinks I'm telling people what to do with their money, It's far from it (ironically enough coming from a saleman..) As a business owner you understand money and expenses vs the person who doesn't run their own business. If you were to ask me if Lee were in my shoes, would be do the same, I'd tell you no.

Don't really think many here take Nexx AKA Jason Lee Acura car salesman seriously when getting comparisons of cars VS Acura from him. Guys sells Acura's for a living but puts his wife in an Audi. Said this "I own an Audi, BMW and an Acura now - My wife drives a Q?". Was that a Q5 or Q7 can't remember right now? Solid personal endorsement of the Acura product line from an Acura salesman.
So as Jason says don't listen to the "Euros or Haters buy Acura". Or you can just buy what he buys.
The following 5 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021), Acura TL Builder (05-24-2021), pyrodan007 (05-24-2021), Shadow2056 (05-25-2021), vhtran (05-25-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 09:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts

He was trying to gaslight you, and you gave him precision crafted Inferno!

Your my kind of guy Gus!! You must have had great role models growing up to have such character instilled in you.
The following 3 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-25-2021), vhtran (05-25-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I could care less what people do with their money Jason. It's my opinion, but then again, you're the New car manger at Acura so someone's money is your paycheck.
If I really cared about how a vehicle affected my paycheck I would be frequenting the RDX/MDX forums . TLX Type S sales won't have any affect on paycheck my friend. I'm flattered you cared enough to look me up.

Last edited by Nexx; 05-24-2021 at 10:34 PM.
Tony Pac (05-25-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
^ Nah, he doesnt care about money. Thats why hes here, spreading the good cheer about how great the TLX is.
The following 4 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-25-2021), dj5 (05-25-2021), pyrodan007 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 10:41 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
5.3-5.8 would make it slower than the old V6...uh, how does that work??
Just looking at the gearing, output, and weight, it will probably be very close to the S4/C43. The biggest question mark is whether the ECU has some kind of pullback at launch (to protect parts) and how fast the 10-speed can rip off shifts.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Acura TL Builder
^ Nah, he doesnt care about money. Thats why hes here, spreading the good cheer about how great the TLX is.
I never said it was a great product. Once again how well the Type S sell has no affect on my paycheck. If that was my agenda, I would in the RDX and MDX forums.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:55 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

If I really cared about how a vehicle affected my paycheck I would be frequenting the RDX/MDX forums . TLX Type S sales won't have any affect on paycheck my friend. I'm flattered you cared enough to look me up.
One day you will understand Jason, today is not that day.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
Acura TL Builder (05-25-2021), Shadow2056 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:21 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Don't really think many here take Nexx AKA Jason Lee Acura car salesman seriously when getting comparisons of cars VS Acura from him. Guys sells Acura's for a living but puts his wife in an Audi. Said this "I own an Audi, BMW and an Acura now - My wife drives a Q?". Was that a Q5 or Q7 can't remember right now? Solid personal endorsement of the Acura product line from an Acura salesman.
So as Jason says don't listen to the "Euros or Haters buy Acura". Or you can just buy what he buys.
Don't you love you? Sounds like a true salesman. Says a bunch of BS to look like a hero here but is a hypocrite anyway.. Ask Lee how he got his Infiniti and Acura. I bet working for those two companies had nothing to do with it. I still can't get past the fact he thought an ILX with a muffler delete sounded good.

He was trying to gaslight you, and you gave him precision crafted Inferno!

Your my kind of guy Gus!! You must have had great role models growing up to have such character instilled in you.
Always appreciate the kind words brotha and you personally know me. It's comical that some of these guys in here knock you and BEAR about performance. Only if they knew what you two have built and done.

This guy will never get it..

I never said it was a great product. Once again how well the Type S sell has no affect on my paycheck. If that was my agenda, I would in the RDX and MDX forums.
Spoken like a true salesman Lee. Do you decline customers that want to purcahse RDX and MDX's? Last time I've checked, they sell well but then again you know this since you work for Acura. You're comments are pure gold, thanks for the laughs.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 05-25-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Acura TL Builder (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 07:54 AM
Car Enthusiast

LOL...Thanks for the good laugh on Tuesday morning guys! I wish there is a "laugh with" button right next to the LIKE.
The following 2 users liked this post by vhtran:
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021), Shadow2056 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

No need for an apology buddy. We're all human(I think). We make mistakes. I don't think I've ever really seen anything you've ever posted that I disagreed with. I think for the most part, we think alike. But it's hard to tell intentions from text. Lol. Some don't know if someone is being sarcastic or genuine. I hate that you had to run into those problems working at an Acura dealership. I know the guys here in service(I work as a sale consultant here at Honda) personally and they advise against a lot of stuff I've done. One time I had a set of wheels that were discontinued that I've wanted for a while. Though they were 5x114.3. Found out they were 5x115. But they seemed to fit right! One of the techs was like "No. I highly advise even driving around the block with those wheels on. I don't care that it's off by .7. That .7 it's off will cause a horrible vibration." Another one in parts, I go to when I'm looking for tire recommendations. He's never wrong. The last time I didn't listen to him, it cost me an extra $200. Lol! Our techs here aren't about making money. They're about doing what's right for the customer. I hang out in the shop a lot. Get to know the guys back there. Especially since a lot of them modify cars. One guy has an LS swap in an S10 that's he's been working on since beginning of last year. SOOOO clean. We're all waiting for him to do the first start up.

With me, I'm about making sure the customer gets what they're looking for. as a car enthusiast, that means even if it isn't my brand, that they're happy with their purchase. you want something that tows 7,000lbs and it's 3rd row. Do you REALLY need 7000lbs of towing capacity? You do? Then a Tahoe would be your best bet. If you never plan to tow that much, The Pilot or Passport would be better. Why? Better fuel economy, more reliability, and more standard features. the cost of a base Tahoe, you can get a Pilot Elite. you just want a Tahoe? Will do. I have a pre-owned one here. You want new? No problem. thank you for stopping by. If my product doesn't suit the customer, that's fine. I'm not going to try and push them onto it. When I don't customers love me for it.

Anyways. Long story short, you were already forgiven the moment I read the post. Lol.
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 09:13 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Let's keep the personal stuff out of this and keep the discussion on the Type S.
The following 4 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (05-25-2021), BEAR-AvHistory (05-25-2021), Legend2TL (05-25-2021), Shadow2056 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 09:19 AM
®

Received 474 Likes on 224 Posts

This is very, VERY true, across all car makers. The fundamental issue is at the root of this; the franchise system in America. United States is the only country in the world that had Congress/Parliament pass a LAW that prohibits direct sales/contact of car manufacturers with customers. This is why Tesla is being sued left and right by States. Because the car cartel lobby is so powerful, they have politicians in their pocket. The entire car industry is a dinosaur model. It needs to die. And it needs to die 20 years ago. I've owned/own 32 cars since I got my license 21 years ago. The car buying/servicing process is vomit inducing and extremely stressful. We should be allowed like the rest of the modern countries to go online, build a car we want and send it to OEM or go to their store like Tesla and pick what we want, have it delivered, end of story. It's not about money. I don't care if the cost of vehicle goes up 20% because of this. The fact I can't go to Honda dealer and simply get a straight answer on how much a car costs without having to be there 2 hours and to listen to BS sales pitches is insane. The fact that once you have a price (that's what you think) and go to F&I office where entire new hard pressure sale tactic starts is more insane. People put their guard down and think they're going to "sign the papers". Think again bub...you're about to be F2F with the most skilled salesman in the building and you're on his turf. The fact there is an entire industry of highly skilled liars who train salesman how to manipulate you is not insane...it's criminal. They have the process down to the T. They put pictures of kids, sometimes fake on their desk to induce sympathy from you. They wear you down with hunger and fatigue to have your concentration drop. They love to have partners come together so they can turn them on each other. They ask questions if they hear an accent where you're from and then say they have a guy they go drinking with that happens to be from your country. I could go on for hours. It is a very controlled environment that is meant to do one thing, and one thing only, take your money. I've had Acura dealers lie to me that the car was CPO and would hurl insults for me to refuse to sign the paperwork until I see it in the CPO system. I made them CPO it right there and then. It was a blatant lie. Also, speaking of CPO. I had an accident with my previous Accord, it was fixed half-ass by insurance and I traded it in with full disclosure. The dealership CPO'd it...It blew my mind when I saw it on their website as a CPO. It was MY car - and I know exactly what was wrong with it structurally, so did the dealer...and they still did a CPO on it. Maddening. And you mentioned service department. I love the "service advisor" title. They're nothing but glorified salesman. Their one and only goal is to SELL, SELL, SELL. Most of the time BS services. I've gotten into heated exchange for being almost called stupid for refusing trans fluid service at 20K miles. I asked them what does the owner's manual say for my car? The guy did a sarcastic smile and said if you want your trans to blow up, go right ahead. I told him well maybe you think you know better than the group of engineers who dedicated their lives to creating my car, I don't. Who should I believe? The guy in a lab coat with 5 mechanical engineering degrees or the guy smoking cigs by the oil disposal area and popping breath mints on his way back in. My personal mechanic used to work at Acura dealership and before that he fixed airplanes. He quit for the same reason you said. Exact same reason. He now owns his personal repair shop. He started out in 2010 in a messy garage sharing space with 5 shady dudes. That's all he could afford. Now he has two locations with tens of thousands of square footage and 20+ lifts and I don't even know how many employees. He tells me the same stories you told me. Also, back in 2008, my wife and I fell on hard times and we were cleaning dealerships at night with our infant son in a car seat sleeping in the service bays. They would drain oil filters and then re-install them as new on customer's cars when they did oil changes. They also had stacks of dirty filters to show it to the customer. Dealers still do this today. I don't go to dealer service unless I am literally cornered due to a recall. Even then, as for example right now. There is a recall on fuel pump for my Accord. I haven't gone in yet. I've seen stories on Accord forums where they did such a bad job, gas smell lingers in the car for months. I'm considering waiting until the new design pump is available for purchase and having my mechanic put it in. I'd rather pay for the piece of mind. When I first purchased my Accord, there was an issue with the seat track (it wobbled). I went back and I happened to be outside and I saw the tech who had my car take it on a joy ride. He couldn't resist (2.0T 6MT). When I brought it up to them, they said we do road test for every car. Well that was BS because I didn't see any other car go for a ride. They offered me two free oil changes. Right, so they can drive around in it some more? Or damage it on purpose because they got caught? Like I said...the entire car franchise industry needs to die right now and it needs a complete overhaul to do what Tesla does. Have all employees be employees of Tesla and all stores be corporate, not franchise. But that will never happen. The dealership cartel is too powerful. It's their world, we just live in it.
The following 4 users liked this post by loki:
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021), Acura TL Builder (05-25-2021), Camaro194 (05-25-2021), Shadow2056 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
This is very, VERY true, across all car makers. The fundamental issue is at the root of this; the franchise system in America. United States is the only country in the world that had Congress/Parliament pass a LAW that prohibits direct sales/contact of car manufacturers with customers. This is why Tesla is being sued left and right by States. Because the car cartel lobby is so powerful, they have politicians in their pocket. The entire car industry is a dinosaur model. It needs to die. And it needs to die 20 years ago. I've owned/own 32 cars since I got my license 21 years ago. The car buying/servicing process is vomit inducing and extremely stressful. We should be allowed like the rest of the modern countries to go online, build a car we want and send it to OEM or go to their store like Tesla and pick what we want, have it delivered, end of story. It's not about money. I don't care if the cost of vehicle goes up 20% because of this. The fact I can't go to Honda dealer and simply get a straight answer on how much a car costs without having to be there 2 hours and to listen to BS sales pitches is insane. The fact that once you have a price (that's what you think) and go to F&I office where entire new hard pressure sale tactic starts is more insane. People put their guard down and think they're going to "sign the papers". Think again bub...you're about to be F2F with the most skilled salesman in the building and you're on his turf. The fact there is an entire industry of highly skilled liars who train salesman how to manipulate you is not insane...it's criminal. They have the process down to the T. They put pictures of kids, sometimes fake on their desk to induce sympathy from you. They wear you down with hunger and fatigue to have your concentration drop. They love to have partners come together so they can turn them on each other. They ask questions if they hear an accent where you're from and then say they have a guy they go drinking with that happens to be from your country. I could go on for hours. It is a very controlled environment that is meant to do one thing, and one thing only, take your money. I've had Acura dealers lie to me that the car was CPO and would hurl insults for me to refuse to sign the paperwork until I see it in the CPO system. I made them CPO it right there and then. It was a blatant lie. Also, speaking of CPO. I had an accident with my previous Accord, it was fixed half-ass by insurance and I traded it in with full disclosure. The dealership CPO'd it...It blew my mind when I saw it on their website as a CPO. It was MY car - and I know exactly what was wrong with it structurally, so did the dealer...and they still did a CPO on it. Maddening. And you mentioned service department. I love the "service advisor" title. They're nothing but glorified salesman. Their one and only goal is to SELL, SELL, SELL. Most of the time BS services. I've gotten into heated exchange for being almost called stupid for refusing trans fluid service at 20K miles. I asked them what does the owner's manual say for my car? The guy did a sarcastic smile and said if you want your trans to blow up, go right ahead. I told him well maybe you think you know better than the group of engineers who dedicated their lives to creating my car, I don't. Who should I believe? The guy in a lab coat with 5 mechanical engineering degrees or the guy smoking cigs by the oil disposal area and popping breath mints on his way back in. My personal mechanic used to work at Acura dealership and before that he fixed airplanes. He quit for the same reason you said. Exact same reason. He now owns his personal repair shop. He started out in 2010 in a messy garage sharing space with 5 shady dudes. That's all he could afford. Now he has two locations with tens of thousands of square footage and 20+ lifts and I don't even know how many employees. He tells me the same stories you told me. Also, back in 2008, my wife and I fell on hard times and we were cleaning dealerships at night with our infant son in a car seat sleeping in the service bays. They would drain oil filters and then re-install them as new on customer's cars when they did oil changes. They also had stacks of dirty filters to show it to the customer. Dealers still do this today. I don't go to dealer service unless I am literally cornered due to a recall. Even then, as for example right now. There is a recall on fuel pump for my Accord. I haven't gone in yet. I've seen stories on Accord forums where they did such a bad job, gas smell lingers in the car for months. I'm considering waiting until the new design pump is available for purchase and having my mechanic put it in. I'd rather pay for the piece of mind. When I first purchased my Accord, there was an issue with the seat track (it wobbled). I went back and I happened to be outside and I saw the tech who had my car take it on a joy ride. He couldn't resist (2.0T 6MT). When I brought it up to them, they said we do road test for every car. Well that was BS because I didn't see any other car go for a ride. They offered me two free oil changes. Right, so they can drive around in it some more? Or damage it on purpose because they got caught? Like I said...the entire car franchise industry needs to die right now and it needs a complete overhaul to do what Tesla does. Have all employees be employees of Tesla and all stores be corporate, not franchise. But that will never happen. The dealership cartel is too powerful. It's their world, we just live in it.
100% agree on the “dealership cartel” analogy. This is so true for the vast majority of dealerships aka “Stealerships”. It really is a disgrace how many are O.K. With blatantly lying to customers for “money”!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by Midwestuser1:
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021), Acura TL Builder (05-25-2021), Shadow2056 (05-25-2021), vhtran (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:06 AM
Racer

I'm not disputing the reports by @04WDPSeDaN and @SRB-TL about horrific sales and services practices at Acura Dealerships, however, it's important to note that there are notable exceptions. I've enjoyed a 25+ year relationship with an Acura Dealership in Cary, NC. My preferred Service Advisor, and several others in the service department, have been there at least that long. Their Shop Foreman is a treasure of knowledge, experience, and integrity, and has been there for over 30 years. They never upsell service work. Instead, they always provide options, and on major items, they usually get me a discount.

Anyone who's bought a car or two has likely experienced the lets-make-a-deal-torture-chamber-of-horrors. We bought our RDX two years ago from this same Dealership, with a decent salesman who didn't employ any of the B.S. tactics you guys described, however, we did have to play the old back and forth to the sales manager for every proposal. Two months ago I met with the same sales rep to test drive (and ultimately purchase) our TLX. They had a sticker price of $45,900 on the car. I'd done my homework, and knew what I was willing to pay. I told him "We're not going to play lets-make-a-deal on this car. Give me your best price, and if I like it I won't shop other Dealers." He asked, "Do you have a price in mind?" I said, "I'm not giving you a number." He said OK, and came back with $39,000 - under 41K out the door. Deal. When we met with the Finance Guy, he started to pitch the snake oil add-ons. My wife looked him dead in the eye and said, "I don't want any of that." Done. Could I have gotten it for less by shopping and turning it into a project? Probably, but it was worth at least $500 to me not to have to do that. Even relatively decent sales reps are never going to say no to a higher price, but if you can find one who's above board and knows you're not f-ing around, you don't have to overpay.

My apologies for perpetuating this OT discussion, but I think it's important to point out that there are some decent Dealerships out there. We're lucky to have one here, and I feel bad for those who don't have a choice and have to deal with the a-holes. So, to make this post relevant to the thread, the future Dealer prices for the Type-S will depend in large part on how much BS buyers are willing to put up with and how much they're willing to pay.
BEAR-AvHistory (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

This is very, VERY true, across all car makers................The dealership cartel is too powerful. It's their world, we just live in it.
Cut the middle out to save space. Think any of us that have bought more than a few cars have run into both types. Got the Z4 from a young lady just starting out & she was great. Very low to non existent pressure. Even let me take the car home overnight so I could take a moonlight ride to convince my wife we did not need a 4 seat car. Hope she can stay that way.

Service always makes me nervous. Its very random even in the same shop. Most guys are parts changers today with very little to no diagnostic capability. They rely very heavily on the computer readout. Never had much problem with service writers upselling me because I tend to know more than they do. If they start the upsell just yank their chain. For people who don't really know cars be sure to take the service book with you & make the SA show you where you really need this or that service at 20,000 miles.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021), Acura TL Builder (05-25-2021), ELIN (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:18 AM
®

I'm not disputing the reports by @04WDPSeDaN and @SRB-TL about horrific sales and services practices at Acura Dealerships, however, it's important to note that there are notable exceptions. I've enjoyed a 25+ year relationship with an Acura Dealership in Cary, NC. My preferred Service Advisor, and several others in the service department, have been there at least that long. Their Shop Foreman is a treasure of knowledge, experience, and integrity, and has been there for over 30 years. They never upsell service work. Instead, they always provide options, and on major items, they usually get me a discount.

Anyone who's bought a car or two has likely experienced the lets-make-a-deal-torture-chamber-of-horrors. We bought our RDX two years ago from this same Dealership, with a decent salesman who didn't employ any of the B.S. tactics you guys described, however, we did have to play the old back and forth to the sales manager for every proposal. Two months ago I met with the same sales rep to test drive (and ultimately purchase) our TLX. They had a sticker price of $45,900 on the car. I'd done my homework, and knew what I was willing to pay. I told him "We're not going to play lets-make-a-deal on this car. Give me your best price, and if I like it I won't shop other Dealers." He asked, "Do you have a price in mind?" I said, "I'm not giving you a number." He said OK, and came back with $39,000 - under 41K out the door. Deal. When we met with the Finance Guy, he started to pitch the snake oil add-ons. My wife looked him dead in the eye and said, "I don't want any of that." Done. Could I have gotten it for less by shopping and turning it into a project? Probably, but it was worth at least $500 to me not to have to do that. Even relatively decent sales reps are never going to say no to a higher price, but if you can find one who's above board and knows you're not f-ing around, you don't have to overpay.

My apologies for perpetuating this OT discussion, but I think it's important to point out that there are some decent Dealerships out there. We're lucky to have one here, and I feel bad for those who don't have a choice and have to deal with the a-holes. So, to make this post relevant to the thread, the future Dealer prices for the Type-S will depend in large part on how much BS buyers are willing to put up with and how much they're willing to pay.
So think about this...you've praised your dealership, yet described exactly what the issue is. Back and forth with sales manager for every proposal, what price do you have in mind, finance guy with snake oil, etc. So even the best of the best does it. They can't help it. It's who they are fundamentally. You said no BS tactics but you still had to go through the back and forth "let me talk to my manager". I give them one - and I'm not exaggerating, ONE trip to the manager's desk. That's it. I'm clear about it too. One guy I told and he didn't believe me. He came back with a stupid number and I told him that's not what I offered. He said let me go back and talk to him, and I stood up and said "what did I tell you 15 minutes ago before you went first time?" - He followed me, as in, actually followed me out to my car as I was leaving.
The following 7 users liked this post by loki:
04WDPSeDaN (05-25-2021), Acura TL Builder (05-25-2021), DJ Iceman (05-28-2021), ELIN (05-25-2021), pyrodan007 (05-25-2021), Shadow2056 (05-25-2021), vhtran (05-25-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

So think about this...you've praised your dealership, yet described exactly what the issue is. Back and forth with sales manager for every proposal, what price do you have in mind, finance guy with snake oil, etc. So even the best of the best does it. They can't help it. It's who they are fundamentally. You said no BS tactics but you still had to go through the back and forth "let me talk to my manager". I give them one - and I'm not exaggerating, ONE trip to the manager's desk. That's it. I'm clear about it too. One guy I told and he didn't believe me. He came back with a stupid number and I told him that's not what I offered. He said let me go back and talk to him, and I stood up and said "what did I tell you 15 minutes ago before you went first time?" - He followed me, as in, actually followed me out to my car as I was leaving.
Yes, I 1000% approve of this. The other thing that can work very well is mentioning sister dealerships (same inventory, less pressure to trade with externals). They only care about themselves, kind of fun seeing them turn into cannibals. Sad, but I despise this shopping experience even though I love cars.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 05-25-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Which one do you use if you don't mind saying? I have bought from dealers in Raleigh, Cary & Durham. Also have bought new cars from Oregon & South Carolina & Georgia without having left my computer here. Have found that internet shopping cuts a lot of the showroom shuffle out of the buying cycle. It the salesman's dancing shoes go on my sneakers head for the door.

Thing to keep telling yourself is they need to sell the car more than you need to buy it.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-25-2021 at 11:32 AM.
robnalex (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:57 AM
®

Which one do you use if you don't mind saying? I have bought from dealers in Raleigh, Cary & Durham. Also have bought new cars from Oregon & South Carolina & Georgia without having left my computer here. Have found that internet shopping cuts a lot of the showroom shuffle out of the buying cycle. It the salesman's dancing shoes go on my sneakers head for the door.

Thing to keep telling yourself is they need to sell the car more than you need to buy it.
The closest I've come to decent and honest (somewhat) dealer is Pauly Acura in Highland Park, IL and their counterpart Pauly Honda in Libertyville, IL. They still do the song and dance but compared to others, they're above.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I actually like customers like this. And I have a couple of customers like this as well. I tell my managers they have one chance and they guy is walking. I get a LOT of customers that say that though but won't tell me the number. My reply to them is "You want me to get to your number, only giving me one chance but yet won't tell me what that number is. But you said you don't want to play games. That's a game. Tell me what price you want to be at. That way it's one trip for me and another 3 more saying 'Let me talk to my manager.'" If it's a reasonable one, my manager will do it. But a lot of them are like $2K below invoice. Sorry. we're not Chevy or Ford where we can afford that kind of mess. Come in with a reasonable number, I'll fight tooth and nail for you to get it. Come in with something outrageous, I won't even take it to my managers. But I like the ones like you. You come in with a number and give one chance. No back and forth. That's what I like. Lol.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:36 PM
Car Enthusiast

LOL..I did the same thing like this with my wife's Clarity when they did the back and forth. The manager went to my car and asked me to go back in which I told him, I only go back in there to sign the contract and call my wife to congrats her on her new car, otherwise don't waste my time.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:37 PM
Racer

BS is everywhere. It's a matter of degrees and how one negotiates it. And for the TLX it was zero trips to the manager. Sales Rep had authority. Less than 5 minutes and he came to me with a price. No song. No dance. And even the Finance guy was not pushing the snake oil hard. He offered. We said no. End of conversation. I swear, some of you guys just live to nit-pick.

Last edited by robnalex; 05-25-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-25-2021, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

BS is everywhere. It's a matter of degrees and how one negotiates it. And for the TLX it was zero trips to the manager. Sales Rep had authority. Less than 5 minutes and he came to me with a price. No song. No dance. And even the Finance guy was not pushing the snake oil hard. He offered. We said no. End of conversation. I swear, some of you guys just live to nit-pick.
This counts as a good dealership. It worked out in your favor. The manager fieldtrip is usually a non-negotiable. And first offer is 99% crap unless your ass leaves the chair or you let them known ahead of time. If not, they play the same script to everyone.

I really wonder how this will play out for people that pre-ordered the Type-S. "About the MSRP, sorry but we had to increase due to availability and extreme popularity, I'll see what my manager can do about it..."

Last edited by pyrodan007; 05-25-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: TLX Type S release thread; prices, trims and availability