RDX TO TYPE S Thoughts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 08:24 PM
Pro

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
RDX TO TYPE S Thoughts!

Hey All,

So, I've had the Type S for just about 2 weeks now. Coming from a 2021 Acura RDX Aspec was a pretty drastic change, so I wanted to give some of my initial thoughts and impressions about the change. I have always been an SUV person, so I kept going back and forth on whether or not I should move into a sedan. The dealership was pushing the RDX Aspec Advance when I was there. I do have to admit, the HUD and heated steering wheel would have been nice. Although the RDX Aspec trim is rather striking, I couldn't justify moving into essentially the "same vehicle."

The Type S is the best-looking of the two vehicles! I have received so many compliments on the car already, and I have people checking the car out often while I'm driving.

My ONLY complaint about the Type S is that it's much harder to get in and out of than the RDX. Now, that's more of a personal problem than a car problem, however, I am getting older and I forgot how much harder it is getting in and out of it. It's doable, but I am feeling it much more than I did 20 years ago when I had a 2002 Trans Am WS6.

Overall though, the Type S is such a blast to drive! It handles like it's on rails and pulls hard! I think that I made the right decision. Although another RDX would have sufficed just fine, it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun as the Type S!

Now, as long as I make it through the snowy months (I do have SH-AWD), I will have no real complaints, minus the crappy puddle lights!

Last edited by swttsx007; 06-15-2023 at 08:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 03:40 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Congrats with your excellent choice.

Even though the Type S doesn't excel in straight line drag races against the European rivals, its handling capability is absolutely amazing.

Just make sure you put on some decent winter tires for the snowy months. Snow tires + SH-AWD = virtually invincible in the snow and on ice. But always drive with care.

The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 08:11 AM
Banned

Received 80 Likes on 47 Posts
Soooo.....having a 21 RDX A Spec and a 23 Type S, I have some feedback on this:

I'm a CAR guy...I hate SUV's...but! The RDX is fantastic! We had a 21 Advanced TLX before the Type S, Ktuned, and still the RDX was "more fun" to drive than that TLX. I LOVE that thing! But....brakes aren't quite up to the TLX electro servo setup and the AWD setup is ONE generation behind, even though SH-AWD. So the TLX handled the snow better, but was it the 19" Primacy rubber vs the 20" goodyears? Maybe.

So now that I have the Type S, 3 weeks tomorrow, I do like that WAY better than the RDX...sort of. The RDX is now K tuned and WICKED! but a little more raucus and raw vs the heavy, beefy feel of the Type S. I like the Type S WAY better than the old Advanced, just FYI. The RDX is still super fun to drive, but not as 'nice' as the Type S is.

Just glad I have both!! Best of both worlds...
Old 06-16-2023, 09:12 AM
Pro

Cool

Originally Posted by thedeathprojects
Soooo.....having a 21 RDX A Spec and a 23 Type S, I have some feedback on this:

I'm a CAR guy...I hate SUV's...but! The RDX is fantastic! We had a 21 Advanced TLX before the Type S, Ktuned, and still the RDX was "more fun" to drive than that TLX. I LOVE that thing! But....brakes aren't quite up to the TLX electro servo setup and the AWD setup is ONE generation behind, even though SH-AWD. So the TLX handled the snow better, but was it the 19" Primacy rubber vs the 20" goodyears? Maybe.

So now that I have the Type S, 3 weeks tomorrow, I do like that WAY better than the RDX...sort of. The RDX is now K tuned and WICKED! but a little more raucus and raw vs the heavy, beefy feel of the Type S. I like the Type S WAY better than the old Advanced, just FYI. The RDX is still super fun to drive, but not as 'nice' as the Type S is.

Just glad I have both!! Best of both worlds...
The RDX is indeed a fantastic SUV! I've owned several SUV's, and the RDX was by far my favorite. I really never had any serious complaints about it other than the "typical" RDX issues. Most recently, my big annoyance was the creaking sunroof. I swear it was going to crack going one day going over the speedbumps in my housing complex.

I thought the handling on the RDX was good, but not great. I actually felt more in control with my 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature than the RDX. There were on-ramps where I definitely thought I was going to lose control of the RDX (yes, probably my own fault, but still.)

The TLX Type S is what I would consider "the whole package." It has the looks, power, handling, and comfort to be a daily driver. Yes, the German rivals are faster from a dig, but I look at the whole picture when picking a vehicle. Furthermore, had I really wanted straight-line speed, I would have opted to get the Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Although I'd love to have access to both an RDX and Type S, my wife wants to stick with her Subaru's
Old 06-16-2023, 09:17 AM
Banned

It's loose sunroof bolts. Mine did the same, dealer knows about it and can easily fix it. And I really like the RDX handling. Better than my TLX advanced by far. and with the superior AWD to anything out there? makes it that much better....then of course add about 60hp to it! LOL
Old 06-18-2023, 07:32 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Hey All,

So, I've had the Type S for just about 2 weeks now. Coming from a 2021 Acura RDX Aspec was a pretty drastic change, so I wanted to give some of my initial thoughts and impressions about the change. I have always been an SUV person, so I kept going back and forth on whether or not I should move into a sedan. The dealership was pushing the RDX Aspec Advance when I was there. I do have to admit, the HUD and heated steering wheel would have been nice. Although the RDX Aspec trim is rather striking, I couldn't justify moving into essentially the "same vehicle."

The Type S is the best-looking of the two vehicles! I have received so many compliments on the car already, and I have people checking the car out often while I'm driving.

My ONLY complaint about the Type S is that it's much harder to get in and out of than the RDX. Now, that's more of a personal problem than a car problem, however, I am getting older and I forgot how much harder it is getting in and out of it. It's doable, but I am feeling it much more than I did 20 years ago when I had a 2002 Trans Am WS6.

Overall though, the Type S is such a blast to drive! It handles like it's on rails and pulls hard! I think that I made the right decision. Although another RDX would have sufficed just fine, it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun as the Type S!

Now, as long as I make it through the snowy months (I do have SH-AWD), I will have no real complaints, minus the crappy puddle lights!
Just FYI, you can add the heated steering wheel to the Type-S. I added it on mine when it was delivered, after driving our RDX this past winter. It's a dealer-installed option, so you can add it at any time. I also agree a HUD would be nice, just because my near vision is so bad and I don't want to drive with my readers on...maybe a Type-S Advance package will be a future offering for those willing to pay for a few more "convenience" options.
Old 06-24-2023, 09:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
How do I add the heated steering wheel option?
Old 06-24-2023, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NateYoung0013
How do I add the heated steering wheel option?
Just go to the dealer and order one.
Old 06-24-2023, 09:31 AM
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
what was total cost for you?
Old 06-24-2023, 07:55 PM
Pro

Isn't it like $800 - $1,000ish installed? Honestly, a nice thing to have, but not worth that kind of money in my opinion.
Old 06-25-2023, 06:54 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Not 100% sure as I had included at delivery so it was built into the lease price...I had total accessories listed as $1008 for the heated steering wheel and all-weather pkg (all weather mats, trunk liner, splashguards...$538 list price). $485 is the HSW list price from Acura, but I don't know what the labor charge would be. If I were to guess an hour, maybe right around $600 or so, installed?

I have really bad circulation in my hands and they are always cold, so it is a very nice feature for me personally. Our 2022 RDX is the first vehicle we have had with a HSW and after driving it occasionally last winter, it was a must-have on the TLX for me. When you remote start in the cold, it will kick on the HSW as well, so it is good and toasty as soon as you get in.
Old 07-25-2023, 06:06 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Hey All,

I've owned the RDX A-Spec...and later the A-Spec Adv. The Adv. version is way nicer overall. I also have a TLX Type S. Yes, it's hard when a person...like me likes
cars and SUV's. Yes, of course, the TLX is lower and not as easy to get in and out of. And I'm over 70...lol. So, to fuel my passion for both types of vehicles, I also
own the MDX Type S Adv. And I love driving both of them. Yes, the RDX A-Spec Adv. is a great smaller SUV...without a doubt. With the Adv, by the way, it has the
trim of the A-Spec. So, you'll have the looks you want, but, with the added on Adv. features. What more could you ask for?? LOL. I did change the wheels. Not
a fan of black wheels. But, eventually it was traded for the MDX. Much better in so many ways. I also had the MDX Adv. before the Type S came out. And I
really like it a lot. But, the Type S version won me over.
I hope my experiences of owning all these models and versions help. Any questions, PM me.
Take care!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
augie05 (09-18-2023), Tony Pac (07-27-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 03:23 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I've owned the RDX A-Spec...and later the A-Spec Adv. The Adv. version is way nicer overall. I also have a TLX Type S. Yes, it's hard when a person...like me likes
cars and SUV's. Yes, of course, the TLX is lower and not as easy to get in and out of. And I'm over 70...lol. So, to fuel my passion for both types of vehicles, I also
own the MDX Type S Adv. And I love driving both of them. Yes, the RDX A-Spec Adv. is a great smaller SUV...without a doubt. With the Adv, by the way, it has the
trim of the A-Spec. So, you'll have the looks you want, but, with the added on Adv. features. What more could you ask for?? LOL. I did change the wheels. Not
a fan of black wheels. But, eventually it was traded for the MDX. Much better in so many ways. I also had the MDX Adv. before the Type S came out. And I
really like it a lot. But, the Type S version won me over.
I hope my experiences of owning all these models and versions help. Any questions, PM me.
Take care!!
New member here and can't send you a PM. We currently own a 2023 MDX A-Spec that we like but always considering other options. Are you saying that, in general, you prefer the regular current generation MDX over the RDX for driving satisfaction? And are you saying that you prefer the MDX Type S as your favorite overall?

My wife struggles a bit with parking our MDX in tigher parking spots. We have thought about downsizing to the smaller RDX but prob a bad idea financially since we have owned the MDX for less than one year. Then I stumbled upon the MDX type S (again...) which might scratch a totally different itch... but would still have the wife parking issues...

Welcome any additional clarification on the different variations of these SUVs.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by augie05
New member here and can't send you a PM. We currently own a 2023 MDX A-Spec that we like but always considering other options. Are you saying that, in general, you prefer the regular current generation MDX over the RDX for driving satisfaction? And are you saying that you prefer the MDX Type S as your favorite overall?

My wife struggles a bit with parking our MDX in tigher parking spots. We have thought about downsizing to the smaller RDX but prob a bad idea financially since we have owned the MDX for less than one year. Then I stumbled upon the MDX type S (again...) which might scratch a totally different itch... but would still have the wife parking issues...

Welcome any additional clarification on the different variations of these SUVs.
so we just picked up our 23. RDX advanced ASpec the other day. I traded in a 21 a spec for it.

i’ve been selling Acura for about seven years and as good as the new MDX is, the RDX is just more fun to drive. And the new advanced ASAP is definitely quieter and drives nicer than the 21 model.

When I had, my TLX advanced, I much preferred the RDX… But now that I have a Type S , I drive nothing but that, until today when I had to bring in the RDX for it tinted windows lol

MDX Type S is a totally different vehicle. And yes, a lot bigger. But I still find the tuned RDX more fun to drive than the non-Type S, TLX, and stupid fast!

I was bringing the new one in today for the windows and kept thinking to myself. Why is this car not moving lol. Then I jogged it up to sport mode and it was fine.

just a blast to drive!