Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 08:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts

The entire car industry is hit by this pandemic, but TLX is almost done. We need the 2nd G TLX sooner than later.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Also, I mentioned that what happened to Kia stinger? Why isn’t sellin? Everyone was saying it’s the best and it will be Competing with Germans and etc. Forget Germans, it couldn’t even keep up with Japanese.
The major problem with the Stinger, at least to me, is the interior. Something about the air vents in the center really throws me off. That's why I'm curious about the 2021 since it is getting some interior updates.
The Arteon is another one that disappointed me, new R version won't come here and paying so much for a VM that has ~250 HP, meh.

That's why if the new Stinger also disappoints me, I'll be seriously considering a used S5 Sportback. Even if a few years old, it has all the tech I want with a very good interior, and for sure cheaper than the Type-S. As for maintenance costs, sure it may be a little bit more. But I don't trust Acura dealerships either, as if they won't consider the Type-S a baby NSX and charge for it.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 07-02-2020 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:01 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
The major problem with the Stinger, at least to me, is the interior. Something about the air vents in the center really throws me off. That's why I'm curious about the 2021 since it is getting some interior updates.
The Arteon is another one that disappointed me, new R version won't come here and paying so much for a VM that has ~250 HP, meh.

That's why if the new Stinger also disappoints me, I'll be seriously considering a used S5 Sportback. Even if a few years old, it has all the tech I want with a very good interior, and for sure cheaper than the Type-S. As for maintenance costs, sure it may be a little bit more. But I don't trust Acura dealerships either, as if they won't consider the Type-S a baby NSX and charge for it.

I worked for Acura, I know how they operate, but then again.. What would I know? My opinions are worthless anyway.

As for the Stinger, I know the outside is getting a refresh look. I'm sure they will do some minor interior upgrades, more or less full digital gauge cluster.
pyrodan007 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Totally agree! Yes, Koreans have made huge strides but let's be honest G70/Stinger barely put a dent in any sales figures. Genesis needs a dealer network like 2 years ago. Keyboard warriors always praise these cars online but they ain't putting their hard earned money to buy them. I even see this on this site, so much hype but they still drive an Audi or BMW and will jump the ship if the Type S brings the goods. As for KIA K5, they should focus on Accord/Camry. If they start taking these buyers away they will be very successful.
I'd imagine so many here keep their Audi's and BMW's because Acura hasn't given them a reason to change. I was going to sell my 2015 A6 if the Type S was offered with a 6MT. Not that we have confirmation it's not, I'm selling my A6 for a 6MT S4 instead. Not my fault Acura made a business decision, but they just don't have anything for me. When it comes times to replace our 14 MDX, the next gen MDX should have been out for a bit and hopefully with a Type S trim that's depreciated a bit. We do love our MDX.

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Even Mazda is getting into the game with the Mazda3. Surprise surprise Honda is yet to enter the fray. I guess their philosophy is if you want AWD, get an Acura.
AWD all the things! Honestly, my first WRX turned me into an AWD snob. Living in Canada, it makes winters much better. If Honda offered an AWD Type R, I'd already own one. If Acura decides to put that engine in something, give it SH-AWD and a 6MT, they'll get my money.
The following 2 users liked this post by coop3422:
04WDPSeDaN (07-02-2020), Nedmundo (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I worked for Acura, I know how they operate, but then again.. What would I know? My opinions are worthless anyway.
I'm fully expecting warranty claims to start getting denied because they'll claim that the owner "raced" their Type-S and force you to prove you didn't or threaten litigation. Sure you can contest it (and likely win) as per the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, but that's not going to stop them from trying. Keep in mind the fine print on the warranty does say:

The warranties in this booklet do not cover:
  • The failure of any part or accessory due to:
    • Abuse, misuse, accidental damage, or acts of nature.
    • Improper installation or maintenance.
    • A low fluid level or the use of a fluid other than specified by Acura.
    • The installation of any part that is not equal to the original in quality of materials or workmanship.
    • The use of the vehicle in competition or racing events.
04WDPSeDaN (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:56 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by coop3422
I'd imagine so many here keep their Audi's and BMW's because Acura hasn't given them a reason to change. I was going to sell my 2015 A6 if the Type S was offered with a 6MT. Not that we have confirmation it's not, I'm selling my A6 for a 6MT S4 instead. Not my fault Acura made a business decision, but they just don't have anything for me. When it comes times to replace our 14 MDX, the next gen MDX should have been out for a bit and hopefully with a Type S trim that's depreciated a bit. We do love our MDX.

AWD all the things! Honestly, my first WRX turned me into an AWD snob. Living in Canada, it makes winters much better. If Honda offered an AWD Type R, I'd already own one. If Acura decides to put that engine in something, give it SH-AWD and a 6MT, they'll get my money.

That's the same way I feel as an enthusiast. I worked for Acura. I get my hands dirty on all my vehicles. I've modified every single vehicle i've owned because it's my passion. I own a 2004 Acura TL, 6MT, Navi, A-spec ect. It's in pristine condition and extremely well take care of. I've owned my TL for 14 years. Only a hand full of 3rd gen owners have kept their TL's in such condition. Along the way, I've owned different vehicles because Acura's line up wasn't for me and since I worked for them, I saw 1st hand the quality going down the drain. As much as I root for Acura, I'm not hell bent on becoming a fan boy just because.. I've owned Mercedes a KIA and now BMW. This doesn't include all the business vehicles we've owned along the way. I also agree, I said IF I was to sell my TL I wanted something similar to what I have, which would be an S4 with the 6MT. Now as i've gotten older, I don't see the appeal for a sedan. The Optima my wife and I had was fully loaded and great. For 7 years it gave us next to no issues. As much as everyone kept knocking it because it was a KIA, it was still a better vehicle than what most had. When it came time to buy another vehicle, I wanted the Stinger GT2 but we really needed an SUV since my wife and I were talking about starting a family next year. I looked into the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Porsche Macan S, Ford ST Edge , Mercedes GLC 43 and the X3 M40i. We test drove each one and felt the BMW was the best overall for us. We went to see the RDX A-spec as well but it just wasn't doing it for me. Trust me, my TL isn't the end all be all, but IMO the best generation TL Acura has made and it's still in high demand today. Once you try out other brands, you realize how far behind Acura is. I bet you if any of these Fanboys test drove the competition or other vehicles, you will see how quick their perspective will change. Nobody should be brand loyal today. Imagine living you're entire life and only being stuck on ONE brand.. Why?
The following 3 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BEAR-AvHistory (07-02-2020), coop3422 (07-02-2020), pyrodan007 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The leaked dealer presentation suggests the Type-S will be based on the A-Spec trim level, and adjacent to the Advance.
Even up that only knocks about $1000 off MSRP but don't think the current pricing will translate over + normal increase. Think the whole pricing strategy will get a do over. Right now you can get a TLX V6 with FWD in an Aspec or a SHAWD version. The FWD version is about $3,000 cheaper. With middle to upper 300BHP there will be no V6 FWD offered so that moves it back to a $1000 spread not counting any of the supporting hardware that will drive the A-Spec trim cost up compared to the current car.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:19 PM
AZ Community Team

S5 is one of the best cars out there. I don't know about older models. I actually drove my friend's 2019 S5 and it's a gem. I immediate checked on auto trader for a used one but it's expensive. 2018 model is around $45-48K CAD with 40-50K KM. i always liked the design but it drives extremely well and the interior is very neat and clean.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Advanced

That's the same way I feel as an enthusiast. I worked for Acura. I get my hands dirty on all my vehicles. I've modified every single vehicle i've owned because it's my passion. I own a 2004 Acura TL, 6MT, Navi, A-spec ect. It's in pristine condition and extremely well take care of. I've owned my TL for 14 years. Only a hand full of 3rd gen owners have kept their TL's in such condition. Along the way, I've owned different vehicles because Acura's line up wasn't for me and since I worked for them, I saw 1st hand the quality going down the drain. As much as I root for Acura, I'm not hell bent on becoming a fan boy just because.. I've owned Mercedes a KIA and now BMW. This doesn't include all the business vehicles we've owned along the way. I also agree, I said IF I was to sell my TL I wanted something similar to what I have, which would be an S4 with the 6MT. Now as i've gotten older, I don't see the appeal for a sedan. The Optima my wife and I had was fully loaded and great. For 7 years it gave us next to no issues. As much as everyone kept knocking it because it was a KIA, it was still a better vehicle than what most had. When it came time to buy another vehicle, I wanted the Stinger GT2 but we really needed an SUV since my wife and I were talking about starting a family next year. I looked into the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Porsche Macan S, Ford ST Edge , Mercedes GLC 43 and the X3 M40i. We test drove each one and felt the BMW was the best overall for us. We went to see the RDX A-spec as well but it just wasn't doing it for me. Trust me, my TL isn't the end all be all, but IMO the best generation TL Acura has made and it's still in high demand today. Once you try out other brands, you realize how far behind Acura is. I bet you if any of these Fanboys test drove the competition or other vehicles, you will see how quick their perspective will change. Nobody should be brand loyal today. Imagine living you're entire life and only being stuck on ONE brand.. Why?
Great points. I'll buy whatever I like, the badge is whatever yoto me. I'm a Honda fan boy, had a modded civic in university and it was an excellent car. My S2000 was the best car I've owned or even driven, including a 911 twin turbo. I was really hoping Acura would see BMW and Audi leaving the 6MT market, and see it as a niche all to themselves. Since they didn't, I'm no longer interested. It makes business sense, so not dailying them. When I was looking a year before buying my A6, I was leaving towards 11+ BMW X3 M Sport 35i's. Great SUV of if you still want some performances.
The following 2 users liked this post by coop3422:
04WDPSeDaN (07-02-2020), Midnight Mystery (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
It really depends on your personal experience. My 2004 TL was a disaster and I would say that their quality slipped on that gen; terrible paint, tranny crapped out, interior dash all cracked up, failed steering and don't get me started on interior rattles. However, my 2010 TL SH-AWD was solid as a rock. Probably best Acura I have owned. Will see what they do with 2nd Gen. I'm worried about all new powertrain quality and how it will hold up. If Acura gets greedy with pricing and markups I'm getting S5 Sportback. Acura don't f**k up.
04WDPSeDaN (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
S5 is one of the best cars out there. I don't know about older models. I actually drove my friend's 2019 S5 and it's a gem. I immediate checked on auto trader for a used one but it's expensive. 2018 model is around $45-48K CAD with 40-50K KM. i always liked the design but it drives extremely well and the interior is very neat and clean.
Yup, exactly how I feel about the 2018s. Money wise, seems to be a good bang for the buck. Jump one year to 2019 and 65K+ doesn't really make sense.
Tony Pac (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 01:42 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
Me?! I've been posting here for 84 years, bro.

​​​​
That's cool bro, you look good in your picture here, very nice , you look young for 84 years old bro....
Old 07-02-2020, 02:10 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
I will never own an Audi. It's unfortunate, because of the Big 3 Germans, I think they drive the best. But, they do some scathingly asinine engineering when they're putting them together. They intentionally do things to make it difficult for people to work on the cars themselves. BMW and Mercedes do similar things, but nothing to the degree of Audi. Seeing one come into the shop, I knew I was losing my ass on it and hated them. Wrenching on cars made me despise European vehicles. I have a soft spot for domestic cars, buddy just picked up an Explorer ST and I absolutely adore it. It got awful reviews, but driving it, I don't see why. I love the way it drives, it feels substantial, rather than a lifted grocery-getter, and the ride is actually nicer than my RDX A-Spec. The price on them is ridiculous tho, but they're going for way under sticker. Aside from that, nothing America is putting out now interests me ... the Caddy CT5 is a pig, Ford abandoned sedans and Dodge just keeps shoving their Hellcat engine in everything thinking that'll make everything better. As for the Japanese, Toyota really doesn't do anything exciting with their vehicles. Nissan has plummeted off the side of the Earth and Honda is quickly following suit with a lot of their vehicles making CR's latest list of "cars to avoid" in their respective segments.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by StealthTL-S
That's cool bro, you look good in your picture here, very nice , you look young for 84 years old bro....
Me?! I'm 67 years old and 187 pounds. I'm as bad as can and he knows he's the best. I get all the women's.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
https://thekoreancarblog.com/2020/07...ware-failures/

G80 already having problems. I hope the tlx out the gate is good
Old 07-02-2020, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leomio85
I will never own an Audi. It's unfortunate, because of the Big 3 Germans, I think they drive the best.
There used to be days I would say to friends and family why would you not just buy an Acura. I think all cars now a days are moving computers. Most of the time the engines themselves are fine. It's the stupid copper wires around them that fall apart, including bad software.
Midnight Mystery (07-02-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
I don't think Honda should look at the Koreans, it knew in the past how to make exciting cars. It just needs to get its mojo back. With DWB suspension and SH-AWD and the 2.0T?, I think we have a winner. If not the Type S, at least the 2.0T with SH-AWD.

I think the 2TLX will be on C/D's 10Best for 2021 (and onward), more than likely if C/D were to remove trucks and pickups from the list because it took away a few spots from sedans/coupes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_and_Driver_10Best

Top Models[edit]

From the start of the 10Best in 1983 through 2020, the following models were represented on the 10Best lists the most years.
Rank Model Number of wins 1 Honda Accord 33 2 BMW 3 Series 23 3 Chevrolet Corvette 21 3 Porsche Boxster / Cayman 21 5 Mazda MX-5 Miata 18 6 Volkswagen GTI / Golf 17 7 Ford Mustang 12 8 Audi 5000 and Audi A6 10 8 Honda Prelude 10 10 Acura Integra and RSX 8 10 Cadillac CTS 8 10 Honda Civic 8 10 Mazda RX-7 and RX-8 8 10 Nissan 300ZX and 350Z 8 15 Ford Focus 7 15 Ford Taurus 7 15 Honda Fit 7 15 Mazda 3 7 19 Audi A4 / S4 6 19 BMW 5-Series 6 19 Honda Pilot 6 19 Chrysler LH platform 300M, Concorde, Intrepid, Vision 6 23 Mercedes-Benz GL450 / GLS450 5 23 Chevrolet Silverado 5

Last edited by internalaudit; 07-03-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Looks like the barely released non-S TLX may have already been matched by the new 2021 Kia Optima. And it includes more HP, dual clutch, AWD, and digital gauges. Type-S better be special.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2020/06/2021-kia-k5-revealed-290-hp-and-awd-for-sporty-optima-replacement.html
Too bad they could not put the AWD on the GT drive train as I am really interested in the K5, as I am not a fan of the Infotainment UI in the new Acura’s and the K5 has digital cluster and wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. I may learn to live without AWD since I am in GA.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:32 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Too bad they could not put the AWD on the GT drive train as I am really interested in the K5, as I am not a fan of the Infotainment UI in the new Acura’s and the K5 has digital cluster and wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. I may learn to live without AWD since I am in GA.
I'm pretty sure the K5 GT will have AWD. This article indicates it's exclusively AWD: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...design-sporty/

I'm also interested in the K5 GT, but I'm more interested in seeing the four-cylinder Stinger get the 2.5T and a full suite of safety tech.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts

The K5 doesn’t have a digital cluster, so that’s one feature ticked off our list.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:26 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Actually, contrary to my post above, it looks like you're right that the K5 GT is FWD only: https://thekoreancarblog.com/2020/07...alers-systems/

This is disappointing and a little surprising, but it does preserve the Stinger as Kia's only AWD performance sedan, and maybe that explains the lack of AWD on the K5 GT. This also helps the TLX to the extent folks may have cross-shopped the K5 GT.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
From what I can see, there will be an AWD version (5 trims). Not a bad looking car, but the rear fascia doesn't do it for me, nor does the interior dash, all very subjective of course. As a leaser, I guarantee it will cost more to lease than the Acura 2.0, especially on whatever trim has the 295 HP. The cirrent 2020 EX+ model would cost the same for an equivalent lease as my current TLX, even with discounts. However, you have to hand it to them for their aggressive approach in launcing new models, regardless of their tendency to copy designs from elsewhere.

Last edited by mapleloaf; 07-04-2020 at 04:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
pyrodan007 (07-06-2020), Tony Pac (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the K5 to. I am so afraid I will not like the touch pad and what if you spill something on it. I cant imagine it getting sticky. My wife has a 2018 SFS limited and I love the infotainment of that car. I like a touch screen and volume knobs. I like a shifter to rest my hand on. Even with a automatic I rest my hand on the shifter 95% of the time. Not sure I would know what to do with it gone. K5 has a shifter and a touch screen and a volume knob. I would probably have a 10th gen accord but they sit like you are in a sherman tank. You sit so low at least for me the door comes way up taller than my old Accord. If I raise the seat up so I can see out my knees start to hit up under the dash on the 10th gen. I had a 9th gen Accord touring all tricked out but it got killed this past fall so that is what has me looking for a car or suv. But to get a RDX I will wait till at least 2022 but the touch pad thing has me bugged.....
Old 07-04-2020, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
We need new pics of this car...
Old 07-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Although the information could be clearer, here's what's in the articles regarding AWD:

CNET: That'd be a new 2.5-liter turbo-four engine with 290 horsepower and 311 pound-feet of torque for the K5 GT. If the displacement sounds familiar, it's because luxury-oriented cousin Genesis also rocks the engine. A front-wheel-drive-based AWD system is standard here and Kia installed a new eight-speed, wet, dual-clutch transmission that should fire off shifts with authority.

And for those who want AWD without the extra performance of the GT, it's optional on every trim save for the base LX. The EX also received AWD as standard.

Korean Car Blog: We now all these trims can be chosen in 3 different options engine, transmission and drive system. Theses are 1.6T & 2.5T engine, 8-speed Automatic Transmission & 8-speed Wet Dual Clutch Transmission, and Front Wheel Drive & All Wheel Drive.

Hmm...might have to test drive the GT AWD model
Old 07-04-2020, 11:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Taz69
I like the K5 to. I am so afraid I will not like the touch pad and what if you spill something on it. I cant imagine it getting sticky. My wife has a 2018 SFS limited and I love the infotainment of that car. I like a touch screen and volume knobs. I like a shifter to rest my hand on. Even with a automatic I rest my hand on the shifter 95% of the time. Not sure I would know what to do with it gone. K5 has a shifter and a touch screen and a volume knob. I would probably have a 10th gen accord but they sit like you are in a sherman tank. You sit so low at least for me the door comes way up taller than my old Accord. If I raise the seat up so I can see out my knees start to hit up under the dash on the 10th gen. I had a 9th gen Accord touring all tricked out but it got killed this past fall so that is what has me looking for a car or suv. But to get a RDX I will wait till at least 2022 but the touch pad thing has me bugged.....
What's an SFS?
Old 07-05-2020, 07:59 AM
Advanced

What's an SFS?
I was wondering the same thing, but assumed it's SanteFe Sport.
I've heard Hyundai has done a great job on their UI. As much as I like our MDX, the UI is awful, and having 2 screens with no buttons was a0 bad decision. Having to touch a screen to change the HIVAC and heated seats is stupid IMO.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:38 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Yea its a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with 2.0T engine. Yea the HVAC is all push button and a volume knob. Touch screen for the radio and apple car play and nav. Fan speed is a knob you turn up or down. Heated and cooled seats a button. And no idle on off system... Hers is a 2017 my fault for saying it was a 2018. 50,000 miles and except for me adding a catch can to the DI engine it has had zero problems. There have been several TSBs done but nothing has broke or stopped working. The car is probably the most trouble free car so far that I have owned. I too am a mechanic and Hyundai and Kia cars are built pretty good. They seem to steal the good parts of all different manufactures and add them into there cars. The window trim is off Mercedes and the electronics might be from Honda and the way the window slides in the door might be from Volvo or Audi. Door seals from Lincon. They seem to pick the best from other cars and use it. I can just see lots off different automobile designs in there cars.

Last edited by Taz69; 07-05-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Touch pads have been in cars for years now & have not seen spilled on or sticky items ever listed as faults. Only item that is a constant is some brands don't have enough real knobs & having to go through too many menus to get to something. Most brands have moved beyond these two faults.

BTW you spill on real buttons they will also get stuck or sticky. Have a few dead computer keyboards to prove it.
The following 4 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
mapleloaf (07-05-2020), Midnight Mystery (07-05-2020), pyrodan007 (07-06-2020), Taz69 (07-05-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 10:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Hmmm.... this thread is really bitter now. What happened to optimism? Not directly addressing anyone though.
+1, waaaaaay too much negative energy in this thread lately.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
That’s what happens when you hype things up but let reveals and launches drag on, all with too much secrecy and too little details, and especially when you don’t have the track record lately to back up the hype. Consider it a defense mechanism after the last batch of stinkers; take a bearish mentality, and you’re less likely to be disappointed by the final product.
The following 6 users liked this post by fiatlux:
04WDPSeDaN (07-06-2020), BEAR-AvHistory (07-07-2020), CollinR4 (07-06-2020), ESHBG (07-06-2020), leomio85 (07-06-2020), pyrodan007 (07-06-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-06-2020, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

In the theme of negativity, what are y'all thoughts on how the real-world pricing will play out for the Type-S? Most (if not all) of us are in agreement that feature-for-feature the Type-S will undercut the M340i, C43, and S4. However, that's the MSRP that Acura sets, and isn't necessarily the price dealers will charge. Right now, you can buy those German cars for under invoice (and that's before factoring in loyalty/conquest/affiliate/manufacturer incentives).

I'm fully expecting Acura dealers for the first year or two to sell these cars for no less than sticker, and probably even tack on a sizable "market adjustment" markup. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this car saw the Stinger treatment; namely, when that car first came out, some Kia dealerships wouldn't even let people sit in the cars, let alone test drive them, all while marking them upwards of $10K. Acura dealerships have been waiting for an attainable performance flagship for so long that I worry they're probably going to treat this like some kind of limited edition M3 GTS, instead of a more common M340i that it really is.

Dodge did it right with the Hellcat where they effectively rewarded dealerships who did not charge above sticker for those cars, but Honda/Acura doesn't seem to have nearly the same amount of pull with their dealership franchisees. Dealerships can be incredibly stubborn when it comes to these markups; consider that I still see 2019 CTRs with $7500 worth of markup on them at my local dealerships. I fear their hardheadedness/greed is going to end up impacting sales (which are measured in units) so much that Acura will pull back on future projects like this.

Last edited by fiatlux; 07-06-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:51 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
When we were purchasing the '20 RDX, even a year after release, they were incredibly stubborn in coming down from the price at all. Even looking at a year old 2019 model, it was like pulling teeth trying to get even a couple grand off sticker. For a goddamn grocery-getting, bullshit crossover that's not even remotely special in any way, shape or form. The Type S will be marked up beyond any of its competitors. You probably won't be able to get one for sticker until 2yrs after launch. After that, dealers will be begging people to take them off their lots, much like what's going on with the RDX now. If I could have waited, I would have, but the CR-V was starting to have minor issues that could potentially leave me stranded. Acura as a brand is a lame duck ... plain and simple. The way the manufacturer is treating it, the dealers are going to follow suit and make them out to be a car designed to fight the holy wars. It's going to be absolutely laughable when they're wanting M3 money for these things, even though it can't even keep up with an M340i. With its, along with Honda's, reputation faltering, they may very well go the way of Infiniti in the next decade.

Yes, I'm the negative one ... the hate flows deep within me.
04WDPSeDaN (07-07-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
When we were purchasing the '20 RDX, even a year after release, they were incredibly stubborn in coming down from the price at all. Even looking at a year old 2019 model, it was like pulling teeth trying to get even a couple grand off sticker. For a goddamn grocery-getting, bullshit crossover that's not even remotely special in any way, shape or form. The Type S will be marked up beyond any of its competitors. You probably won't be able to get one for sticker until 2yrs after launch. After that, dealers will be begging people to take them off their lots, much like what's going on with the RDX now. If I could have waited, I would have, but the CR-V was starting to have minor issues that could potentially leave me stranded. Acura as a brand is a lame duck ... plain and simple. The way the manufacturer is treating it, the dealers are going to follow suit and make them out to be a car designed to fight the holy wars. It's going to be absolutely laughable when they're wanting M3 money for these things, even though it can't even keep up with an M340i. With its, along with Honda's, reputation faltering, they may very well go the way of Infiniti in the next decade.

Yes, I'm the negative one ... the hate flows deep within me.
Sadly I agree with you. Just look at the Civic Type R, the RDX you mentioned, the dreadful PMC editions...
04WDPSeDaN (07-07-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you all are probably right about the Type S and the dealers likely milking it for every penny. I am personally sitting on my '09 TSX and have been patiently waiting for the 2nd gen TLX. I am really hoping that given the current economic conditions they don't pull any shenanigans beyond the first 2-3 months with the Tech/Advance models. I've been avoiding scratching the new car itch for a long time and I would love to be in an SH-AWD by winter. I know I should wait a year, but it's gonna be hard.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
I’m definitely interested in the Type-S, my RDX lease ends in July 2021 and I could probably swap to the TLX in the spring when it releases, but I really imagined going electric with my next car. So if the dealer marks up the Type-S, I have no problem walking. If I can get it at the same monthly lease I have now, then I’ll seriously consider it.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
That’s what happens when you hype things up but let reveals and launches drag on, all with too much secrecy and too little details, and especially when you don’t have the track record lately to back up the hype. Consider it a defense mechanism after the last batch of stinkers; take a bearish mentality, and you’re less likely to be disappointed by the final product.
you just proved the negativity point.

The last two new model Acura releases were the RDX and NSX which I presume you refer to
the last batch of stinkers

Last edited by Legend2TL; 07-07-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:35 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
It used to be the light at the end of the tunnel. Now that light is starting to look like the fire in hell.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:39 AM
AZ Community Team

At least I am not the only who said that before.
oh well, freedom of speech and open/public forum 🤷🏽‍♂️ Best way to filter is read the relevant info and skip the rest!

Midnight Mystery (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 07:58 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
I've just read the last week of posts in this thread. Here's my recommendation:

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)