Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 03:14 PM
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts
My (baseless, thinking out loud) theory on not releasing the V6 power numbers yet is that it is an all-new engine, and with many governmental departments still shut down they can't do any official emissions testing which may require modifications that could potentially change the power figures. Who knows.
The following 2 users liked this post by vertigo2:
internalaudit (05-28-2020), Shadow2056 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:22 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
There's no way. The M340i AWD and C43 (AWD standard) start at $56k. Both will likely outperform the Type S and hold more prestige. I think even being in the $50k range is going to be bad news for Acura sales (personally, I'd opt for the M340i without a second thought if the Type S is that close ... and you'd be a fool not to as well), but in the mid-$60k range, you'd have to be a downright moron to buy it. Both aforementioned sedans have been out for a few years now, it's not like the Germans are leapfrogging Acura out of the blue. If they can't be competitive against their rivals, their sales figures are going reflect such. Even the Audi S4 starts at under $50k, another knock against the Type S if it's in the $50k range.
To each its own. I agree... I think fully load the type s will be about 65k. Which a fully option c43 or m340 is at least 5k more. I would gladly take the type s for 65k fully load. My S4 which it is being benched mark to was 67k fully loaded and I would take the type s over the Audi any day. My only knock is there is no full digital dash but I can get over that with the 7in MMI.
The following users liked this post:
internalaudit (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
To each its own. I agree... I think fully load the type s will be about 65k. Which a fully option c43 or m340 is at least 5k more. I would gladly take the type s for 65k fully load. My S4 which it is being benched mark to was 67k fully loaded and I would take the type s over the Audi any day. My only knock is there is no full digital dash but I can get over that with the 7in MMI.
For higher reliability or just value for money, although $2k isn't a whole lot? Or could it be the dealership experience? The Type S would be the top of the line Acura sedan and you will be worshiped at the dealership.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Just watched the video. In my opinion, I learned nothing that would sway me. What they spent 15 minutes telling us was nothing we could not have scripted ourselves. No price, no HP on the S, and no information on when it will be out.

I was disappointed with the rear styling, especially from the side. Everything is nice and sleek and clean looking until it ends sort of bluntly at the back. The the detailing of the rear itself is not in keeping with how good the rest of the car looks. I could live with it, but they could have done better. The interior looks like what we have seen for a few years from Acura, but taken to a higher level. It's a bit busy, but overall I do like it.

If the top dog does come in at $60k or above, I"m still out. The Audi, BMW and C43 are all around $65-67,000 the way I would equip them. The BMW offers better incentives in general and I would guess it would be easy to get one for $60. The C43 has zero percent interest right now, but I don't know how much they will discount them. I have owned two Audis (both A7s) and I like the Audi brand, but I would really like to see them update the interior in the S5s (what I"m actually interested in) similar to the newer A6/A8 - in other words, no "iPad glued to the dash" look.

While I think the TLX-S will be a pretty neat car, I"m very concerned about where they end up with on HP and price.
Shadow2056 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 04:39 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
How are you guys configuring these vehicles with $10k more in options? Jesus. Maybe it's a generational thing. Built mine to $60k and I embellished on a couple things. I probably could have gotten it down to $58k if I really wanted to. I prefer to get in the car and actually drive it though. That's also why the first steps when getting into the RDX is to turn off traction control, crash mitigation and the auto stop/start.

One thing I noticed that others will likely cry about is that I saw absolutely no moonroof on the Type S. Huge plus in my book. The non-Type S looks like a standard moonroof. No more god-forsaken pano-bullshit-moonroof! Rejoice!! I'm sure plenty of your average Acura buyers, and plenty here, will gripe about it ... even tho it's gimmicky bullshit that literally is a detriment to every single aspect of driving ... except for the "oooooh" factor ... ie: mouth breathers.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Is there a credible person who threw this 6 number out there or you're going off this car competing with certain Germans so the price will be close?

You guys really should skip the long posts and say if it's not high HP and 50k or less, I'm not getting it
The following 2 users liked this post by Mak P:
B1ackAlloy (05-28-2020), neuronbob (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dear Lord, I just read the Car & Driver article. It says the S is due NEXT SPRING! This is painful to anticipate.
TVL65 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:02 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
How are you guys configuring these vehicles with $10k more in options? Jesus. Maybe it's a generational thing. Built mine to $60k and I embellished on a couple things. I probably could have gotten it down to $58k if I really wanted to. I prefer to get in the car and actually drive it though. That's also why the first steps when getting into the RDX is to turn off traction control, crash mitigation and the auto stop/start.

One thing I noticed that others will likely cry about is that I saw absolutely no moonroof on the Type S. Huge plus in my book. The non-Type S looks like a standard moonroof. No more god-forsaken pano-bullshit-moonroof! Rejoice!! I'm sure plenty of your average Acura buyers, and plenty here, will gripe about it ... even tho it's gimmicky bullshit that literally is a detriment to every single aspect of driving ... except for the "oooooh" factor ... ie: mouth breathers.
With the vehicles it compete with, expect a ball park range of 50-60K. I for one, love pano roofs. I am disappointed they didn't do this among other things that would make the price worth wild when you compare it to other performance vehicles for the cost. Do you plan on buying one?

Originally Posted by Mak P
Is there a credible person who threw this 6 number out there or you're going off this car competing with certain Germans so the price will be close?

You guys really should skip the long posts and say if it's not high HP and 50k or less, I'm not getting it
were you REALLY going to buy this vehicle??
Old 05-28-2020, 05:27 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
I guess I'll chime in on this because it was on my short list of cars to consider...

I like the design and kudos to acura for everything they did here. But the comparisons to the c43 the m340i and the s4 went out the door the second they decided to make this car 194.6 inches long. That's the size of a 5 series. Why? How? Its probably the only thing they could've done to make me write it off my list without even driving it. I guess its back to Germany for me again.

But I'm glad for the brand that they're doing big things again. and I'll see all you guys again for this next tlx launch
Old 05-28-2020, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
With the vehicles it compete with, expect a ball park range of 50-60K. I for one, love pano roofs. I am disappointed they didn't do this among other things that would make the price worth wild when you compare it to other performance vehicles for the cost. Do you plan on buying one?
It depends on where it lands. ~400HP with ~$50k price tag configured the way I like, then absolutely it'll be in consideration.

One thing we're all forgetting is that for the first couple years, these things will likely be marked up quite a bit by dealers. So, even if it does land in the $50k range, sales will likely suffer due to mark ups that have them costing well more than their rivals, who at that point will likely be offering good incentives (they already are from what I hear). Heck, who knows, when it comes time for it, might just spring on an M340 if the deal is there, throw a tune on it and hurt some poor guy's feelings who picked up a brand new Type S, lol.
04WDPSeDaN (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

It depends on where it lands. ~400HP with ~$50k price tag configured the way I like, then absolutely it'll be in consideration.

One thing we're all forgetting is that for the first couple years, these things will likely be marked up quite a bit by dealers. So, even if it does land in the $50k range, sales will likely suffer due to mark ups that have them costing well more than their rivals, who at that point will likely be offering good incentives (they already are from what I hear). Heck, who knows, when it comes time for it, might just spring on an M340 if the deal is there, throw a tune on it and hurt some poor guy's feelings who picked up a brand new Type S, lol.
I APPROVE THIS

The M340i is a fast car. Those sneaky Germans pulled a quick one on everyone with that B58 engine. Here's the thing about Acura, I'm almost sure whatever the power figures are for the 3.0T, it might be the real deal and not underrated. That's why I keep saying numbers are numbers. I would love to see a youtuber put the type-s on a dyno and run it down the 1/4 qt. mile. If it's worth the hype, it should put down some impressive numbers.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mak P

I completely agree with you. Idk where the 60k numbers are coming from. I just don’t get it. At best should be 53k but even then I’m just confused.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:12 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
I guess I'll chime in on this because it was on my short list of cars to consider...

I like the design and kudos to acura for everything they did here. But the comparisons to the c43 the m340i and the s4 went out the door the second they decided to make this car 194.6 inches long. That's the size of a 5 series. Why? How? Its probably the only thing they could've done to make me write it off my list without even driving it. I guess its back to Germany for me again.

But I'm glad for the brand that they're doing big things again. and I'll see all you guys again for this next tlx launch
Yeah, I'm kinda of sad it grew almost 5 inches longer compared to the OG TLX. With that long hood, can't say I'm surprised. The spot where my TLX is currently parked can accommodate 192" comfortably. 193" is tight and I have to make sure it's parked perfectly alas the garage door crashing down on the bumper. 195"... fuhgeddaboudit. I've been toying with the idea of going to something like a Model 3 or Y in about 5 years or so, and with the 2G TLX going through a growth spurt, this might push me towards Tesla. Or a Stinger if I want to stick with ICE.

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 05-28-2020 at 06:15 PM.
TheAcAvenger (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Im really happy about the increase in size. I was a little concerned that I wouldnt fit in it but it looks quite spacious inside. I actually like everything Ive seen so far and in a few years if it seems to be a reliable vehicle I will pick up a type s to replace my 08 type s.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:40 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by B1ackAlloy
I completely agree with you. Idk where the 60k numbers are coming from. I just don’t get it. At best should be 53k but even then I’m just confused.
The new TLX shares barely anything of what Acura has done. From the ground up, it's new. They no longer use the J-series bread and butter N/A V6. They have developed a completely new engine which may have an E-turbo. The type-s comes with damping suspension, leather wrapped dashboard ect. These things add up with the cost of all the time it took to develop this vehicle. They were selling a TLX with a fancy red paint job north of 50k.. The 60K figure is a guess if you were to max out all options if it doesn't come standard with all options already. This is not your typical base vs type-s deal. Realistically expect the Type-s to start at 48K and optioned out at 55-57K. If you were to buy this vehicle, with taxes, title, ect ect it's a 60K vehicle.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:16 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger

They made it longer like the 4G TL cause people complained about the TLX being too small. It was like a TSX rather than a TL.

Last edited by Kinuto; 05-28-2020 at 07:20 PM.
internalaudit (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinuto
They made it longer like the 4G TL cause people complained about the TLX being too small. It was like a TSX rather than a TL.
Agree. I am hoping that with the lengthening, they can make the same rear seat miracle Honda did with the 10G Accord. Good lord, that rear seat is limo-sized. With the RLX going away, the rear seat needs to hold a tall person comfortably, just like the 10G Accord can.

On another topic, did anyone notice the wood interior? It is said to be real wood. Not usually my speed, but for those who find that important, it could be meaningful.

Going to be a long wait for the Type S, but it should be worth it. And as i said above, those who opt for the base 2.0T engine are in for a treat as far as performance. It should be hauling a lot less weight than the RDX.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (05-28-2020), ji0005 (05-30-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:48 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

I would like to make a correction on my statement of not having a heads up display, it will have it but I think it's only on the advance trim model. It's in one of the videos that Acura put up. Pause at the 6:55 you will see the cut out for the heads up display. I'm interested in seeing how it looks on the windshield
Old 05-28-2020, 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Do you think the 3.0 Liter V6 is from the MDX Sport Hybrid?
Old 05-28-2020, 09:32 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
Do you think the 3.0 Liter V6 is from the MDX Sport Hybrid?
This won't be a J series V6. It is an all new design with inputs from the NSX development team.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vertigo2
My (baseless, thinking out loud) theory on not releasing the V6 power numbers yet is that it is an all-new engine, and with many governmental departments still shut down they can't do any official emissions testing which may require modifications that could potentially change the power figures. Who knows.

That is legitimate, but many times manufacturers have announced numbers saying something to the effect that they expect to see at least xxx number knowing full well that they are pretty sure they will actually wind up with a little more than that number.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
This won't be a J series V6. It is an all new design with inputs from the NSX development team.
I thought the NSX also has a J-series engine; specifically, the JNC1.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't see that happening. It's an Acura four door sedan. People don't go bonkers over any four door sedans these days.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
That is legitimate, but many times manufacturers have announced numbers saying something to the effect that they expect to see at least xxx number knowing full well that they are pretty sure they will actually wind up with a little more than that number.
Perhaps they don't want to tip their hand because they know if they announce something that's higher than the M340i, BMW will go ahead and one-up them, especially now that the M3 has vacated the low-400s range and yielded it to the M40i engines.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
I'll always prefer rectangular exhaust tips. They make the back look better to me, but it doesn't appear the Type S have them
Kinuto (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:00 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
The front bumper lost the charm from the concept.

The following 2 users liked this post by ACCURATEin:
jyrtl (06-23-2020), Shadow2056 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can’t Wait to buy Type S!!!!

I’m excited!!! Windows must be tinted though!!!
it’s not exactly like the concept, but I’ll take it.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:27 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
there was no way that hood was going to pass at least here in america.. its way to sharp and would become a weapon to sever limbs
Old 05-29-2020, 01:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anybody remember the leaked photo of a supposed window sticker of the new TLX? I remember seeing this photo a couple of months ago and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I am looking for it just to have a laugh because I remember vividly that the sticker claims the horsepower number for the Type-S is 415hp
Old 05-29-2020, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by A Fancy Honda
Does anybody remember the leaked photo of a supposed window sticker of the new TLX? I remember seeing this photo a couple of months ago and I can't seem to find it anywhere. I am looking for it just to have a laugh because I remember vividly that the sticker claims the horsepower number for the Type-S is 415hp
Eh, I'd highly contest the authenticity of that. Do they produce window stickers that far in advanced? The TLX hasn't even hit the production floor, let alone even mention of when they'll be hitting dealerships.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Someone on facebook is claiming they talked to an acura employee who told them the type s will have 425 hp. I highly doubt it will be that high but who knows.
Midnight Mystery (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 05:58 AM
Racer

Slap the SH-SH-AWD on a Type S variant and we get upwards of 500 HP lol.

Those three electric motors together put out 117 HP on the RLX/MDX hybrid.
Midnight Mystery (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Agree. I am hoping that with the lengthening, they can make the same rear seat miracle Honda did with the 10G Accord. Good lord, that rear seat is limo-sized. With the RLX going away, the rear seat needs to hold a tall person comfortably, just like the 10G Accord can.

On another topic, did anyone notice the wood interior? It is said to be real wood. Not usually my speed, but for those who find that important, it could be meaningful.

Going to be a long wait for the Type S, but it should be worth it. And as i said above, those who opt for the base 2.0T engine are in for a treat as far as performance. It should be hauling a lot less weight than the RDX.
I saw the wood interior not a fan but it’s cool it’ll have it. I had a chance to drive the new RDX aspec while my car was in the shop, After that week I debated about getting an RDX because of how fun it was. The entertainment system was amazing compared to my 15’ TLX. The 2.0T TLX indeed will be a treat. I’ll hold off for the type s. Hopefully it’ll have around 375hp and not break the bank.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:50 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by A Fancy Honda
It was fake..

Originally Posted by PredatorWH
Someone on facebook is claiming they talked to an acura employee who told them the type s will have 425 hp. I highly doubt it will be that high but who knows.
A lot of people are throwing numbers around. It's all speculation. Wait til Acura officially releases the information.
The following 2 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
internalaudit (05-29-2020), Shadow2056 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 07:32 AM
Pro

All models will have a moonroof.
internalaudit (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 07:39 AM
Racer

I'm still wondering if there's only the A-Spec (primarily appearance) and Advance apart from the Type S, how would Acura charged for the other upgrades.

It seems it's going to be all or none, apart from the few that can be ordered ala carte.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:12 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
I'm wondering/guessing that the transaxle differential and driveshafts are in FRONT of the engine oil pan instead of behind as on the transverse Honda/Acura's. That's the only way I can think of to gain that 4" of wheelbase and have such a short front wheel overhang.
The 1G Legend had a longitudinal V6 with the transmission at the back but the differential was in the oil pan of the engine, it gave it a long wheel base and short overhang for a FWD car.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 05-29-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:39 AM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by djhtsx
All models will have a moonroof.
Proof of this?
Old 05-29-2020, 08:54 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
There will be a lot of people that buy the car just because the light strips in the interior are neat and the fact that you can adjust the color.
Shadow2056 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Kinuto
Proof of this?
take a look at the b roll shots on Acura. They show multiple angles with a moonroof on the type s.

https://acuranews.com/en-US/videos/v...roll-prototype
The following 2 users liked this post by djhtsx:
internalaudit (05-29-2020), Kinuto (05-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)