Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I agree. Let's be honest here, the folks who are on unemployment for a prolonged period of time aren't exactly Acura's target demographic. High earners are relatively insulated from economic downturns, and even if their jobs are impacted, they should (in theory) have enough saved up to buffer them for a good amount of time (though in reality, I'll admit that plenty of people, Acura buyers included, spend well beyond their means and really shouldn't be spending that amount of money on cars).
First of all, let’s define high earners. The very top earners you are correct. And even if they do lose their jobs they walk away with plenty of money. And they are not Acura buyers unless it’s for their kid. Second are the upper middle earners. They are actually in the first to go category often times. You can’t save your company significant numbers by just letting go low income people.

I’ve witnessed this in companies I’ve worked for several times. I was fortunate because my job brought in revenue as was managing contracts with very large customers. The people who go fall into a couple of categories. Long time employees who got automatic raises for so many years that they were way over paid, and middle and upper level people who are not on the front line with customers. These are jobs who’s contribution is long term, not short term.

Some low income people do get let go of course, but usually just because the company is using the layoffs to clean up uncontrolled spending during boom times.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
First of all, let’s define high earners. The very top earners you are correct. And even if they do lose their jobs they walk away with plenty of money. And they are not Acura buyers unless it’s for their kid. Second are the upper middle earners. They are actually in the first to go category often times. You can’t save your company significant numbers by just letting go low income people.

I’ve witnessed this in companies I’ve worked for several times. I was fortunate because my job brought in revenue as was managing contracts with very large customers. The people who go fall into a couple of categories. Long time employees who got automatic raises for so many years that they were way over paid, and middle and upper level people who are not on the front line with customers. These are jobs who’s contribution is long term, not short term.

Some low income people do get let go of course, but usually just because the company is using the layoffs to clean up uncontrolled spending during boom times.
That’s why I said relatively insulated. Professions like doctors, lawyers, engineers, bankers, etc. have it much better than blue-collar workers and administrative staff in difficult economic times. The former group is also more aligned with Acuras target demographic than the latter, even with Acura being a little downmarket if the other luxury brands. Sure, that group could also see layoffs, but by the time your profit centers are seeing layoffs, your cost centers definitely already saw a heavy headcount reduction. And with total comp well north of 6 figures ($200k starting just for biglaw and almost $300k starting for FANG engineers fresh out of school), these folks needn’t worry nearly as much about a small blip should pink slips be handed out, at least compared to folks in the latter category.

Last edited by fiatlux; 05-04-2020 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
silverTL6 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5

Agree. My oldest daughter just let a number of Vice presidents go so that they could keep billable people who are now sitting on the sidelines working from home rather then at customer sites. Senior management also took a 30% pay cut & no bonus for this year.

Company is a global operation & Europe has taken a major hit, the US less so. They are in the drug testing & FDA certification arena so its important to keep the skilled tech people onboard for when the drug companies fully ramp up she has the people who do the work available.

Youngest daughter works for a competitor & is just below VP level in her company & has seen the same thing.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
So the new MDX gets a pano sunroof but not the new TLX. A bit sad due to more sunlight in env, but I understand why south folks might hate them. Still sad that it's not even an option based on patent images.
https://www.motor1.com/news/419735/2...nt-images/amp/
A Fancy Honda (05-22-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
So the new MDX gets a pano sunroof but not the new TLX. A bit sad due to more sunlight in env, but I understand why south folks might hate them. Still sad that it's not even an option based on patent images.
Queue the apologists making excuses such as "pano sunroof just adds more costs" and "it adds more weight and a higher center of gravity".
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BGR (05-04-2020), silverTL6 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 04:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

i think due to the demand for SUV. The base MDX will get pano just like the RDX. But the sedan, you have to upgrade to get the pano. That's my opinion.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Thanks for sharing.

i think due to the demand for SUV. The base MDX will get pano just like the RDX. But the sedan, you have to upgrade to get the pano. That's my opinion.
I doubt Acura would bother producing two types of roofs to accommodate both a regular sunroof and a pano sunroof. The reason why it's standard on the base RDX and MDX is likely because it would be cheaper to offer it on all trims than to build two different types.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:31 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Thanks for sharing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there any manufacturers that engineer a roof for both a regular and pano moonroof? I have doubts that any manufacturer would throw extra money and complicate engineering at two different designs. It's one or the other, and for the next-gen TLX, signs point to it not getting a pano moonroof. For me, it doesn't bother me one bit as I barely use the moonroof. The shade is always closed and I forget that it's even there.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are there any manufacturers that engineer a roof for both a regular and pano moonroof? I have doubts that any manufacturer would throw extra money and complicate engineering at two different designs. It's one or the other, and for the next-gen TLX, signs point to it not getting a pano moonroof. For me, it doesn't bother me one bit as I barely use the moonroof. The shade is always closed and I forget that it's even there.
Off the top of my head I know that Mercedes offers it as an option rather than standard equipment. But to your point, Acura isn't Mercedes. Acura lives off of cost control to offer their value proposition, whereas Mercedes doesn't need to worry about that, so long as they're not grossly more expensive than Audi and BMW.

Last edited by fiatlux; 05-04-2020 at 04:39 PM.
ZipSpeed (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Off the top of my head I know that Mercedes offers it as an option rather than standard equipment. But to your point, Acura isn't Mercedes. Acura lives off of cost control to offer their value proposition, whereas Mercedes doesn't need to worry about that, so long as they're not grossly more expensive than Audi and BMW.
Given Acuras sales of Sedans, they need to take a more aggressive approach to the TLX. Have a good base entrance that includes nice features and then have a tiered approach adding more exclusive and expensive features. A pano sunroof couldn't be that much more. No matter what, Acura is going to be a value in the segment, but sales prove that strategy might not be working. Take some risks and see what happens.
The following 2 users liked this post by stevenpsu:
pyrodan007 (05-06-2020), silverTL6 (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stevenpsu
Given Acuras sales of Sedans, they need to take a more aggressive approach to the TLX. Have a good base entrance that includes nice features and then have a tiered approach adding more exclusive and expensive features. A pano sunroof couldn't be that much more. No matter what, Acura is going to be a value in the segment, but sales prove that strategy might not be working. Take some risks and see what happens.
The last time they took a risk, we got the Acura beak corporate grill
The following 4 users liked this post by fiatlux:
F23A4 (05-16-2020), jas5lf (05-04-2020), justnspace (05-04-2020), Speed_Racer (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 04:56 PM
There are four lights!

Fair enough. But as you say, Acura is all about value, and them throwing additional money at something more expensive might not be attainable if they're targeting a specific price point. That, or they're putting the money towards something else like nicer materials, standard HUD, standard digital cockpit, etc. With that said, I would gladly take a HUD and digital cockpit as standard equipment over a panoroof anyday, anytime. I'm okay with their sedans not getting a pano roof, but at least they made the correct choice by including it on their crossovers.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Fair enough. But as you say, Acura is all about value, and them throwing additional money at something more expensive might not be attainable if they're targeting a specific price point. That, or they're putting the money towards something else like nicer materials, standard HUD, standard digital cockpit, etc. With that said, I would gladly take a HUD and digital cockpit as standard equipment over a panoroof anyday, anytime. I'm okay with their sedans not getting a pano roof, but at least they made the correct choice by including it on their crossovers.
Good point, but how sure are you that the Pano isn't the only thing going to left out? I expect to see the precision cockpit with the digital gauge cluster and new tech features above and beyond the RDX. But with Acuras track record, one thing could lead to another. I hope they move forward and put all the tech into the TLX, if they want to keep their sedan segment alive.
pyrodan007 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 05:53 PM
There are four lights!

Good point, but how sure are you that the Pano isn't the only thing going to left out? I expect to see the precision cockpit with the digital gauge cluster and new tech features above and beyond the RDX. But with Acuras track record, one thing could lead to another. I hope they move forward and put all the tech into the TLX, if they want to keep their sedan segment alive.
I don’t actually. Knowing Acura and their history, don’t be surprised if they manage to half ass something. You would think they turned over a new page with the RDX but who knows.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZipSpeed:
pyrodan007 (05-06-2020), stevenpsu (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
That’s why I said relatively insulated. Professions like doctors, lawyers, engineers, bankers, etc. have it much better than blue-collar workers and administrative staff in difficult economic times. The former group is also more aligned with Acuras target demographic than the latter, even with Acura being a little downmarket if the other luxury brands. Sure, that group could also see layoffs, but by the time your profit centers are seeing layoffs, your cost centers definitely already saw a heavy headcount reduction. And with total comp well north of 6 figures ($200k starting just for biglaw and almost $300k starting for FANG engineers fresh out of school), these folks needn’t worry nearly as much about a small blip should pink slips be handed out, at least compared to folks in the latter category.
You might be surprised at what some blue collar workers make. In my trade guys are making anywhere from 80k to 450k a year. I could buy a brand new Tlx outright if I wanted to. Most blue collar workers I know though drive pickup trucks worth more than a Tlx and have zero interest in a luxury sedan. I prefer sedans myself and I like to let others take the huge depreciation hit of buying them new.
The following 2 users liked this post by PredatorWH:
F23A4 (05-06-2020), Speed_Racer (05-04-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 12:07 AM
Safety Car

It's been over 3 weeks since this came out, and Acura still hasn't announced when the reveal will be, let alone actually doing the reveal.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
pyrodan007 (05-06-2020), silverTL6 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Lexus offers pano as an option on RX and RS, sure other manufacturers do as well. I agree doesnt make sense to make two different roofs but they should atleast make the opening wider looks tiny in proportion to the vechicle.
silverTL6 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 05:09 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Queue the apologists making excuses such as "pano sunroof just adds more costs" and "it adds more weight and a higher center of gravity".
I don't care for a pano roof but I think it is much more simple than that. I don't think a pano roof on the TLX adds much more glass than the current roof. But for the little added glass, on a sport sedan that they will put a turbo V6 someday, it will take away from the cars rigidity. SUVs aren't as likely to be driven like the TLX S-type. Some on the RDX forum complain the car make noise as it twists backing out of a driveway. And this is after Acura claims to have made a unique and stiff platform for the car. So while I'm not missing a pano roof, I don't open the current sunroof. I think for structural reasons and low payoff, why put the money into the pano roof?
The following 3 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
a35tl (05-06-2020), Midnight Mystery (05-06-2020), silverTL6 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I think for structural reasons and low payoff, why put the money into the pano roof?
For the same reason why people buy TLXs versus Accords, it's for the little extras. Some have no problem paying the extra 1k to get that little bit of sunlight and view. If it's due to structural rigidity, fuck me they better have fixed the deck rattle too! Improving the sound components does jack if any bass heavy song makes the TLX jive with it
silverTL6 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:09 AM
Advanced

For the same reason why people buy TLXs versus Accords, it's for the little extras. Some have no problem paying the extra 1k to get that little bit of sunlight and view. If it's due to structural rigidity, fuck me they better have fixed the deck rattle too! Improving the sound components does jack if any bass heavy song makes the TLX jive with it
This exactly. It's fine not to have it as standard equipment but not having it as an option would be a joke. If people wanted standard features, they would buy the Accord. Acura is supposed to be "Luxury", these features should be optional in the upper segment.
silverTL6 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
Lexus offers pano as an option on RX and ES, sure other manufacturers do as well. I agree doesnt make sense to make two different roofs but they should atleast make the opening wider looks tiny in proportion to the vechicle.
Correction meant ES!
Old 05-06-2020, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
I really don't care about a pano roof and feel as if there are too many negatives with them but a Camry has one so... I think that is where we are at these days and when you are marketing as a luxury-esque brand the little touches/options can go a long way for buyers.
The following 3 users liked this post by ESHBG:
pyrodan007 (05-06-2020), silverTL6 (05-07-2020), Speed_Racer (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Acura thinks prospective and current owners want a bigger caliper badge/mascot instead of a bigger moonroof. Kia Optima and a Toyota Camry offers one on their family sedan. Tesla doesn't have a problem with an all glass roof on the Y. Maybe Acura can do the mohawk strip of glass like Nissan did on the mid 2K Maxima.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Just seeing them not think about a pano sunroof has me worried that other features may also be left on the table versus the SUV designs (hybrid system and sportback tailgate approach are major factors for me). Other brands are really trying hard to make the sedan come back as a sporty functional alternative. If Acura can't do the same, then the "precision crafted performance" moto should really be changed to "budget crafted performance, maybe".

Last edited by pyrodan007; 05-07-2020 at 10:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
silverTL6 (05-08-2020), stevenpsu (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Just seeing them not think about a pano sunroof has me worried that other features may also be left on the table versus the SUV designs (hybrid system and sportback tailgate approach are major factors for me). Other brands are really trying hard to make the sedan come back as a sporty functional alternative. If Acura can't do the same, then the "precision crafted performance" moto should really be changed to "budget crafted performance, maybe".
Exactly my thinking as well. Acura needs to spend what it takes to compete. It is obvious that their sedan plan isn't working out as their sales are terrible. They need to make a premium product. I am sure most folks would be willing to pay extra for upper end features. If they want an entry level base model around 32k, that is fine, but the upper models should have expensive and high end features.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Safety Car

Exactly my thinking as well. Acura needs to spend what it takes to compete. It is obvious that their sedan plan isn't working out as their sales are terrible. They need to make a premium product. I am sure most folks would be willing to pay extra for upper end features. If they want an entry level base model around 32k, that is fine, but the upper models should have expensive and high end features.
They're in a bind because I suspect most customers who are willing to drop that kind of cash for the higher end features will tend to gravitate towards brands that are already more established and offer a better overall ownership experience. Ultimately, as much as it sucks for those of us who are willing to pay more for more, they need to undercut their competitors due to various shortcomings (real or perceived), and in doing so need to reduce costs through economies of scale. Offering more options increases the variable costs considerably, which would impact the price at which they would need to sell the cars to maintain the same profit margin, and reduces the volume and hence revenue.
silverTL6 (05-08-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Offering more options increases the variable costs considerably, which would impact the price at which they would need to sell the cars to maintain the same profit margin, and reduces the volume and hence revenue.
Sadly becomes a chicken and egg problem. I want to by car A but it's missing option X, but car B has it even if it costs a little more but I also get option XYZ included for "free". It depends if people want something versus price, which may be important during this Covid period. But that also means the Type-S will be an even lower seller due to family income situation. Why get a bigger engine when base is good enough and I don't get that many more extras. Acura needs to hit the included "options" in each trim bang on.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:41 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Old 05-08-2020, 10:38 PM
BGR
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 95 Posts
One of the guys in the tlx group that works for Acura says they were going to keep the 2020 TLX in production until end of July so don't expect the 2021 TLX until this Fall.
silverTL6 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

In the meantime, Audi has no problems releasing some A4/A5 specs even though people may not be car shopping for now. The 12V mild-hybrid in the 2021 A5 sportback interests me very much, aligns with my lease return next year.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...-carplay-tech/

Last edited by pyrodan007; 05-08-2020 at 11:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
BGR (05-09-2020), silverTL6 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 03:09 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by BGR
One of the guys in the tlx group that works for Acura says they were going to keep the 2020 TLX in production until end of July so don't expect the 2021 TLX until this Fall.
If that's true, they're likely still resolving issues with the new model and wouldn't have been able to show it in NY anyway. Highly doubt it's anything related to the pandemic at this point, as they're no telling when it'll be over, and the states reopening early are doing so just to save their economies.

I also suspect the delay is powertrain-related, given their inability to at least provide specs. Either that, or they know the specs alone aren't impressive enough, and need the entire car shown to maintain some level of excitement. But based on the infotainment leaks and patent drawings, any potential excitement has probably already gone down the drain...
pyrodan007 (05-10-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

That might be true for the Type-S, but why are they holding back on the base model, unless they want to announce both at once? The base model should get the same powertrain as the RDX, so I can't imagine that there are too many kinks that need to be ironed out. The cynical side of me is wondering if they're holding the unveil back until consumers start purchasing cars again. Unveiling it now without the ability to actually sell these in the near future will give their competitors an opportunity to come over the top and take away all the glitz and glamour. Keep in mind the Type-S's competition like the M340i is expected to get another power bump now that it doesn't need to worry about encroaching on the M3's numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if Acura is a little gun shy about another automaker swooping in and stealing its thunder after what happened with the NSX / Ford GT reveal debacle.

Last edited by fiatlux; 05-09-2020 at 12:17 PM.
pyrodan007 (05-10-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I just don't believe it has anything to do with delays. The base model should be ready for showing. Acura just needs to come out and show it already. Show people that will be wanting a new car soon, something to look forward to. At this rate about time they debut the TLX, it's already going to be behind the newer vehicles that will be coming out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Navy TL:
pyrodan007 (05-10-2020), silverTL6 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 10:08 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

If they did their homework and are confident about the car's competitiveness, then they shouldn't feel anxious about getting their thunder stolen. Competitors will be releasing new models at any given time, so there's no point holding back and waiting for the right moment because there won't be one. Use this opportunity while most are still at home to tease, reveal, and advertise the damn thing, and people will surely be lined up and waiting at dealerships when the quarantine orders are lifted. Especially when so much is already known about the base model (looks, powertrain), it's almost like they are constipated...
pyrodan007 (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
I just have this feeling that they just weren't/aren't ready to reveal it yet. I say this because, I think they are intending to reveal their digital gauge cluster on this TLX along with their next version of self driving/safety tech. We have been seeing test mules but none of these had the digital gauge cluster. Ideally they will need to have a digital gauge cluster on this TLX in order to compete with the other cars in this segment. I think they haven't even had a chance to test it out yet. Because you would think that they would be testing it out on their mules by now or at least they should be.

Those are my thoughts, because I truly believe we will be seeing the digital gauges, otherwise I think it will be another missed opportunity for Acura since we now have Volkswagens with digital gauge clusters that have amazing resolution.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:38 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Although chances are low, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit that they are cancelling Type-S at the last minute. Back in 2008 they had production ready V10 HSC and RWD V8 Legend running at the Nurburgring and they killed those two because of the worldwide recession.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by MSZ
Although chances are low, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit that they are cancelling Type-S at the last minute. Back in 2008 they had production ready V10 HSC and RWD V8 Legend running at the Nurburgring and they killed those two because of the worldwide recession.

I can definitely see them going to a plan B, particularly given the massive uncertainty that is today's economy thanks to COVID19.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:44 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
Not a chance. You think Genesis is going to cancel all their new models because of Covid? Acura has been showing off the Type S for the past year. The car is pretty much ready, they just need to reopen the plants which is about to any day now. Type S is not going to release until next year anyway. I agree that they just need to launch on line. No one is going to car shows anytime soon. It might take years before people go to these shows anyway. You have to adapt and create buzz online.
silverTL6 (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 02:51 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Unlike those Tier 1 projects, the Type-S trim and turbo V6 were actually announced and reiterated several times to the press, so they'd completely lose face if they were to suddenly backpedal.

Worst case scenario, there will be more delays and perhaps cost cutting, but we'll see it in one form or another. Just a question of how many "weeks" we're gonna have to wait since their last update. It's been what, 2 or 3 weeks now? If still nothing by end of May, they may as well have just said "more to come in the following months"
Old 05-11-2020, 09:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by silverTL6
Unlike those Tier 1 projects, the Type-S trim and turbo V6 were actually announced and reiterated several times to the press, so they'd completely lose face if they were to suddenly backpedal.

Worst case scenario, there will be more delays and perhaps cost cutting, but we'll see it in one form or another. Just a question of how many "weeks" we're gonna have to wait since their last update. It's been what, 2 or 3 weeks now? If still nothing by end of May, they may as well have just said "more to come in the following months"
It’s been over 4 weeks now since they said that plans for the reveal (emphasis on “plans”) is just weeks away. Who do they think they are, Tesla?

Quick Reply: Is everyone ready for the Type S Concept? (Reveal Pics Page 5)