Anybody seen or know a more solid release date for Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 06:09 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicious Type S
Yea with the way the automotive industry is going, I don't see too many 6MT cars that are actually affordable and fun with some decent hp sticking around too long so I'm gonna try to keep mine till it has to be put down for good. It will become the weekend car, not too many features, basically just a CD player and heated seats lol. The M340i or TLX-S should be great DD's with enough features to keep me satisfied for a while. And omg yo u gotta post pics of ur A-spec TL 6MT! I remember when those came out, I was still in HS and saving for my G35, beautiful. My first car was a 96 2.5TL n that's what I was driving when I was seeing the A-Spec TL's around.

Here she is sitting at 99,XXX miles. I only use the TL a hand full of times during the year. I don't enjoy it as much as I use to.. I get very nervous taking it out for a drive.

Last edited by 04WDPSeDaN; 11-24-2020 at 06:12 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
ACCURATEin (11-24-2020), Carnage719 (11-24-2020), ELIN (11-28-2020), hadokenuh (01-04-2021), neuronbob (12-04-2020), Tony Pac (11-25-2020), Vicious Type S (11-25-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-24-2020, 07:57 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Here she is sitting at 99,XXX miles. I only use the TL a hand full of times during the year. I don't enjoy it as much as I use to.. I get very nervous taking it out for a drive.

Beautiful. My favorite gen of TL.
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 06:20 AM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Daaaaaaaamn, that's clean! Yea when the paranoia gets to u, definitely ruin the fun a bit. That's the part of having a new car that I don't miss lol. U wanna show off the new ride, have every1 see, but u also don't want some soccer mom parking right next to u n have her kids kick their door open n Ding up your shit lol. Definitely park far away everywhere. I remember when I first got my G, like first few days, summer, I went to park it far away n I saw this tree, figure I'd park under it in the shade so it's not so hot when I go back... huge mistake lol... birds did not miss a single drop lol, car was covered in doo-doo.

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 11-27-2020 at 03:38 PM.
04WDPSeDaN (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:29 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Carnage719
Beautiful. My favorite gen of TL.
Thank you Carnage! Really appreciate the comment!

Daaaaaaaamn, that's clean! Yea when the paranoia gets to u, definitely ruin the fun a bit. That's the part of having a new car that I don't miss lol. U wanna show off the new ride, have every1 see, but u also don't want some soccer mom parking right next to u n have her kids kick their door open n Ding up your shit lol. Definitely park far away everywhere. I remember when I first got my G, like first few days, summer, I went to park it far away n I saw this tree, figure I'd park under it in the shade so it's not so hot when I go back... huge mistake lol... birds did not miss a single drop lol, car was covered in doo-doo.

Thank you Vicious. Paranoia definitely ruins it, that's for sure. I'm very meticulous with all my vehicles from modifications to their conditions to even where I park them. I worked hard for what I own, so I take pride in that.
hadokenuh (01-04-2021)
Old 11-25-2020, 03:38 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
Wow! man! Your car is so neat and clean. You did a great job keeping it so neat! Definitely you know how to maintain your cars. Respect brother!

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 11-27-2020 at 03:37 PM.
04WDPSeDaN (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 05:24 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Wow! man! Your car is so neat and clean. You did a great job keeping it so neat! Definitely you know how to maintain your cars. Respect brother!

THANK YOU very much Tony! Means a lot! 14 years of ownership. It's sad to see what has become of these once very popular vehicles. I cringe inside know this is what happens to all vehicles once they are obtainable by nearly anyone.
Tony Pac (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
And I thought I was meticulous about my vehicles. Amazing!
04WDPSeDaN (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 06:42 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
And I thought I was meticulous about my vehicles. Amazing!
Thank you Maple!
Old 12-02-2020, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 505 Likes on 283 Posts
So, when comparing the TLX-S vs rivals, do we consider reliability and cost of long term ownership, or am I the only loser that thinks about that? Also, what factors in for me personally is that I don’t know any good mechanics in my area and I’m not handy. So I get the cars serviced at the dealership.
from personal experience most folks I know in bmws or audis keep the, 2-3 years, so I don’t know how they hold up. Only exception was my uncle who had a 335 and he did have some engine issues, a few trips to dealer didn’t resolve it, but he is pretty knowledgeable and he managed to fix it himself. If memory serves me right he kept that car 6 years or so (manual trans).
‘I have had my 08 type S 12 years (105k miles) now and other than the handsfree link I have had no issues.

Last edited by PhilB81; 12-02-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:09 AM
06 G35 6MT

Originally Posted by PhilB81
So, when comparing the TLX-S vs rivals, do we consider reliability and cost of long term ownership, or am I the only loser that thinks about that? Also, what factors in for me personally is that I don’t know any good mechanics in my area and I’m not handy. So I get the cars serviced at the dealership.
from personal experience most folks I know in bmws or audis keep the, 2-3 years, so I don’t know how they hold up. Only exception was my uncle who had a 335 and he did have some engine issues, a few trips to dealer didn’t resolve it, but he is pretty knowledgeable and he managed to fix it himself. If memory serves me right he kept that car 6 years or so (manual trans).
‘I have had my 08 type S 12 years (105k miles) now and other than the handsfree link I have had no issues.
It's a HUGE pro when comparing! For me the TLX-S biggest pros is exterior looks, interior design and quality, percieved reliability and long term cost of maintenance, and performance. Because I tend to keep my cars for a long time, it's very important to me, my 2nd choice is the M340i, the pros for this is #1 definitely performance, interior, customer service experience but the HUGE con is once again, percieved reliability and long term cost of maintenance. If it wasn't for those 2, I honestly wouldn't be killing myself waiting for the TLX-S especially since I know its alrdy less power, more weight, and bmw underrated their motor so I'd assume its alrdy over 400hp.

That being said, numbers don't mean too much to me as long as it performs. The Type S can have 355hp and be heavier but as long as it keeps up, (low 4's) I'll be happy. That M340i is just proven to be a monster with 382hp so u have to compare fake underrated numbers to fake underrated numbers lol.

Last edited by Vicious Type S; 12-03-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
That's very important but in 2020 soon to be 2021 if you keep up with routine maintenance on just about any car you won't have many mechanical issues unless you just got a lemon. Any brand can manufacture a bad batch of cars. I had a horribly unreliable Accord and Infiniti so that's not unique to One manufacturer over another. Unless you're talking Land Rover, now THAT is one brand I do not trust.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kense:
Monte TLS,MAX (01-03-2021), Tesla1856 (01-02-2021)
Old 12-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts
It's a HUGE pro when comparing! For me the TLX-S biggest pros is exterior looks, interior design and quality, percieved reliability and long term cost of maintenance, and performance. Because I tend to keep my cars for a long time, it's very important to me, my 2nd choice is the M340i, the pros for this is #1 definitely performance, interior, customer service experience but the HUGE con is once again, percieved reliability and long term cost of maintenance. If it wasn't for those 2, I honestly wouldn't be killing myself waiting for the TLX-S especially since I know its alrdy less power, more weight, and bmw underrated their motor so I'd assume its alrdy over 400hp.

That being said, numbers don't mean too much to me as long as it performs. The Type S can have 355hp and be heavier but as long as it keeps up, (low 4's) I'll be happy. That M340i is just proven to be a monster with 382hp so u have to compare fake underrated numbers to fake underrated numbers lol.
I agree that real performance is more important than advertised power numbers, but one question I have is what motivation does Acura have to underrate their numbers? BMW had a very real motivation; they can’t advertise the true numbers because it would be too close to the M3/M4’s output. But Acura doesn’t have a higher performance version to have to protect, so what’s in it for them?

Interestingly enough now that the M3/M4 will be up to 500hp, I would not be surprised for the M340i to break the 400hp barrier with minimal “updates”.
BEAR-AvHistory (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 12:08 PM
06 G35 6MT

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I agree that real performance is more important than advertised power numbers, but one question I have is what motivation does Acura have to underrate their numbers? BMW had a very real motivation; they can’t advertise the true numbers because it would be too close to the M3/M4’s output. But Acura doesn’t have a higher performance version to have to protect, so what’s in it for them?

Interestingly enough now that the M3/M4 will be up to 500hp, I would not be surprised for the M340i to break the 400hp barrier with minimal “updates”.
I dont know for sure but if I were to guess, cheaper insurance? If ppl are spending 55k+ they aren't in the wealthy segment but the 400hp+ could make it pretty expensive? Just a shot in the dark here. Also

Yea with the M340i rated at 4.2 seconds (we've seen faster, some 3.7 without a tune) and the M3 at only 4.1 (definitely not true) it's a real testament at what kinda beast that B58 is.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:31 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
^^^^^

What !?

90 additional hps only shave 0.1 sec off the 0-60 time ?
Old 12-03-2020, 02:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

What !?

90 additional hps only shave 0.1 sec off the 0-60 time ?
I suspect the magazine times will be faster. BMW estimated the M340i at 4.4s, whereas MT got 4.2s. Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if the M3 is really around 3.9s. Keep in mind that it's not really a 90 horsepower difference; the B58 in the M340i has to be putting out at least 400hp with the times it's able to get.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Those M car times are BMW sandbagging. They know in Reality those cars will be doing low to Mid 3's 0-60.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Tenths of a second!!

Honestly, I've owned a lot of performance cars....and to me, what does it matter over a few tenths of a second for this car?? Are you guys taking the
type s to the drag strip where tenths of a second truly means something? LOL!! Quick, fun to drive, looks cool, etc, that's what the Type S will mean
to me. I could care less IF some BMW or whatever beats me to the next stoplight. IMHO.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 505 Likes on 283 Posts

One thing I don’t know is how reliable the auto trans is on the TLX, I remember reading issues on the trans matched to the 6cyl engines, but the 4cyl ones were fine... am I remembering that wrong?

Originally Posted by Kense
That's very important but in 2020 soon to be 2021 if you keep up with routine maintenance on just about any car you won't have many mechanical issues unless you just got a lemon. Any brand can manufacture a bad batch of cars. I had a horribly unreliable Accord and Infiniti so that's not unique to One manufacturer over another. Unless you're talking Land Rover, now THAT is one brand I do not trust.
That’s good to hear but by long term do you mean 5-6 years or 10-12? Anyways, I suppose I will find out how the long term German ownership will be, I picked up a 2018 German 2.5 years ago, knocking on wood it’ll be as reliable as the TL
As far as Land Rover, my mom has had a 2017 Range Rover (picked up in 2016 I believe) and it has been good so far(37k miles). Hers has the Diesel engine. The ride in that thing is incredible though, it just floats in the road and soaks up all bumps like it’s nothing. Hopefully it’ll remain reliable, I really like it!
Old 12-04-2020, 05:54 AM
06 G35 6MT

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Honestly, I've owned a lot of performance cars....and to me, what does it matter over a few tenths of a second for this car?? Are you guys taking the
type s to the drag strip where tenths of a second truly means something? LOL!! Quick, fun to drive, looks cool, etc, that's what the Type S will mean
to me. I could care less IF some BMW or whatever beats me to the next stoplight. IMHO.
I posted that to show how close the M340i's performance is compared to the M3. But realistically I've seen consistent tests with draggys of the M340i doin 3.9 it just shows how much BMW is sandbagging n I wonder how fast the M3 really is. But yes if I'm spending 60k on a car, I would like to know that I can beat a decent amount of ppl in the same segment to the next stop light, it's a bit of an adrenaline rush for me personally. I don't expect it to beat full out sports cars but if your looking at a performance sports sedan, you want to get what you pay for cuz for me, 60k is a significant amount.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:05 AM
06 G35 6MT

One thing I don’t know is how reliable the auto trans is on the TLX, I remember reading issues on the trans matched to the 6cyl engines, but the 4cyl ones were fine... am I remembering that wrong?

That’s good to hear but by long term do you mean 5-6 years or 10-12? Anyways, I suppose I will find out how the long term German ownership will be, I picked up a 2018 German 2.5 years ago, knocking on wood it’ll be as reliable as the TL
As far as Land Rover, my mom has had a 2017 Range Rover (picked up in 2016 I believe) and it has been good so far(37k miles). Hers has the Diesel engine. The ride in that thing is incredible though, it just floats in the road and soaks up all bumps like it’s nothing. Hopefully it’ll remain reliable, I really like it!
Yea we can't be as confident as 20yrs ago about the reliability that's why I did say percieved reliability, especially since it's made in Ohio instead of Japan.

And for me, when I say I keep my cars long term, I still drive a car I got brand new 15yrs ago. It still drives great and I don't plan on getting rid of it because it is a manual but I'm only buying a new car because I'm not 20yrs old anymore and I want awd for the winter and I need to catch up with technology as the G35 is missing A LOT.
Monte TLS,MAX (01-03-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:34 PM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Well officially 2021 hopefully this month Acura starts releasing more details for pricing and release date.
Terragotti (01-01-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 01:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I posted that to show how close the M340i's performance is compared to the M3. But realistically I've seen consistent tests with draggys of the M340i doin 3.9 it just shows how much BMW is sandbagging n I wonder how fast the M3 really is. But yes if I'm spending 60k on a car, I would like to know that I can beat a decent amount of ppl in the same segment to the next stop light, it's a bit of an adrenaline rush for me personally. I don't expect it to beat full out sports cars but if your looking at a performance sports sedan, you want to get what you pay for cuz for me, 60k is a significant amount.
The M340 are surprising quick with fantastic mileage for their performance level. I get mostly 3.8 on dragy with an occasional 3.7 if the 19X35X275 tires on the Z4 don't slip to much. Am quicker than LC if I get the right pavement but LC is very consistent.

That said while both can run with the current crop the new M3/4 will be 473BHP and the performance version 503BHP. With BMW's typical under rate expect they might dyno 500 & 540 & be in the low to mid 3's to the next traffic light if they can get traction.

Would have gotten the "G" M4 Competition if they had not put the pig snout on it. Z4 M40i was my the second choice.

Don't believe the Type S will run with the M340. Should be a good competitor to the Infiniti Red 400, Infiniti G70 & the Stinger in the traffic light GP. The MB & Audi in the same general power range are quicker than I would expect the TypeS to be with 355BHP. My last BMW the 440 with the MSPPK rated at 355BHP so that is a data point & would do 4.1/4.2 but I just don't see the TLX being there. It would be nice to see it run with the Germans like the 3G did.

Once the M3/4 are out with their increased power I would expect a mid cycle G generation to up the rated M340 power to 400+ from the current 382BHP. Both the M340 & the M3/4 run the same base inline 6 cylinder 3.0L 58 engine, B58 & S58. Both Audi & MB have been power matching their main product lines performance cars as BMW has upped its power.

If the TLX Type S can't run with there cars one might question why buy a decontented performance car that does not perform?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-02-2021 at 01:05 AM.
mojo_79 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 06:34 AM
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The M340 are surprising quick with fantastic mileage for their performance level. I get mostly 3.8 on dragy with an occasional 3.7 if the 19X35X275 tires on the Z4 don't slip to much. Am quicker than LC if I get the right pavement but LC is very consistent.

That said while both can run with the current crop the new M3/4 will be 473BHP and the performance version 503BHP. With BMW's typical under rate expect they might dyno 500 & 540 & be in the low to mid 3's to the next traffic light if they can get traction.

Would have gotten the "G" M4 Competition if they had not put the pig snout on it. Z4 M40i was my the second choice.

Don't believe the Type S will run with the M340. Should be a good competitor to the Infiniti Red 400, Infiniti G70 & the Stinger in the traffic light GP. The MB & Audi in the same general power range are quicker than I would expect the TypeS to be with 355BHP. My last BMW the 440 with the MSPPK rated at 355BHP so that is a data point & would do 4.1/4.2 but I just don't see the TLX being there. It would be nice to see it run with the Germans like the 3G did.

Once the M3/4 are out with their increased power I would expect a mid cycle G generation to up the rated M340 power to 400+ from the current 382BHP. Both the M340 & the M3/4 run the same base inline 6 cylinder 3.0L 58 engine, B58 & S58. Both Audi & MB have been power matching their main product lines performance cars as BMW has upped its power.

If the TLX Type S can't run with there cars one might question why buy a decontented performance car that does not perform?
I think the Type S might match the previous-gen 340i. C&D got a 0-60 of 4.8s in that generation of 340i (non-MPPSK, from what I understood the MPPSK shaved off another 0.2s). I know you personally got quicker numbers in your 440i MPPSK but I would stick with testing sources that are a bit more standardized like C&D.
Also IIRC Autoline interviewed Jason Ray (TLX development lead), who said that the prior-gen 340i was actually the original benchmark for the TLX. I don't have time at the moment to find the video.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:55 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
We will all find out the real deal about the TLX Type-S in about 2 months time.
neuronbob (01-04-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bilirubin
I think the Type S might match the previous-gen 340i. C&D got a 0-60 of 4.8s in that generation of 340i (non-MPPSK, from what I understood the MPPSK shaved off another 0.2s). I know you personally got quicker numbers in your 440i MPPSK but I would stick with testing sources that are a bit more standardized like C&D.
Also IIRC Autoline interviewed Jason Ray (TLX development lead), who said that the prior-gen 340i was actually the original benchmark for the TLX. I don't have time at the moment to find the video.
Yeah the initial 2015 3404X4 with the early engine was 320BHP & ran 4.8 in C&D first test. By 2018 still rated at 320BHP they pushed up to 4.4 seconds in a C&D test of the 440.

This was my 2018 440 C&D test with out the MPPSK
2018 BMW 440 RWD
They said

"With the eight-speed automatic transmission, the rear-wheel-drive 440i edged out the 435i xDrive we tested in 2015, scoring a 4.4-second time to 60 mph." Your correct the MPPSK knocked off another .2 which brought it inline with the Draggy numbers of 4.1/4.2 for my personal car.

Think that was the last test of the 320BHP before they advanced it to 382BHP

​​​​Most recent was a 2020 long term 20,000 mile update with the 382BHP.

"After trudging through BMW's 1200-mile break-in period, our 3-series hit the test track to stretch its legs, rather impressively so. While the M340i features a launch-control system for hasty getaways, we found that taking matters into our own hands and managing the turbo-six's silken thrust ourselves was the quickest way off the line. Ultimately, the M340i ripped off a 3.8-second zero-to-60-mph sprint and tore through the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds at 115 mph. If you are wondering, those times are on pace with the last-generation M3."

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-02-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:50 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
I think the majority of us have come to terms with the fact that the Type-S is not going to rise to the level of performance of something like the M340i. If the M340i/C43 and at the lower end, the S4/S5, are Tier 2 in performance sedans, the TLX-S would slot in around Tier 3 along with the Q50RS and G70 3.3t. A reasonable estimate of 0-60 would be high-4s/low-5s and quarter mile in the mid 13’s. Absolutely non-competitive to the Germans, but enough for 90% of people. It’s certainly not going to win over buyers of other brands, but I think Honda/Acura is aiming more at customer retention with this one, giving Honda loyalists something to step up into instead of leeching them off to the Germans (which has been happening for the past 5yrs+). I’ll certainly be excited to see what the aftermarket can do with some tuning ... hopefully it’s something exciting.

As far as reliability, personally I’d still give the nod to Acura, but even bigger is the assembly/production. The Acura will undoubtedly be easier to work on. Yes, even the most reliable cars will have issues and repairs needed over time. The Acura needing a thermostat replaced will be an hour job with a $20 part. The BMW will be a 8hr job and the thermostat will be electronically controlled unit integrated into the flux capacitor which requires a scan tool to recalibrate and will cost $250 for just the part. And there will be a common issue with a recycled plastic tube that’s an integral part of the EVAP system that runs under the turbo and thru the cylinder head that cracks from exposure to heat and repeated heat cycles and the only way to R/R it is an engine out job. Yes, I’m being facetious and these are all completely hypothetical, but they’re frightfully not far from reality most likely. That’s what keeps me away from zee Germans. BMW and M-B are pretty bad, but Audi is assembled by sadists who I swear to God purposely build their cars to be near impossible to work on. Beautiful cars ... I’ve always liked Audi’s exterior and interior designs more than the others, but thinking about wrenching on them makes my knuckles throb. Still, if I had the disposable income, the first car I’d go out and buy would be an RS6 Avant.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by leomio85
BMW and M-B are pretty bad, but Audi is assembled by sadists who I swear to God purposely build their cars to be near impossible to work on.
Naw, they're not sadists. They're just making sure that their mechanics will be able to make enough to send their kids to college .
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-03-2021), leomio85 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:24 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,613 Likes on 971 Posts
As per Acura the TYPE S will be out in spring. So we should be expecting the type S by mid March, beginning April? Still no confirmed date?

I think there will be at least a two month gap between MDX and TLX TYPE S.

my take:
MDX - beginning Feb
TLX TYPE S - Mid April
Reveal of ILX replacement - Mid May
MDX TYPE S - July

Old 01-03-2021, 10:53 AM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
I don't see MDX here in less than one month. Type S spring, MDX late summer. I wonder if Acura will hype the release or total silence with all the specs and pricing just dropped out of the blue. I guess it really depends how this thing will stack up against the competition.

Also, you know the dealers are going to mark them up. Could get ugly....
Old 01-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Type S spring, MDX late summer.
Also, you know the dealers are going to mark them up.
Agreed and more likely.
Seems like 2021 TLX Type-S would be released first (whenever that is) as the first prototypes are already built and running. Personally, I think it should have been released already and since it has not, I can't help but wonder if there are going to be some last-minute changes.

Not sure about mark-ups but likely just high MSRP with little-to-no incentives. That would be more inline with Acura's new vehicle releases, historically.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
As per Acura the TYPE S will be out in spring. So we should be expecting the type S by mid March, beginning April? Still no confirmed date?

I think there will be at least a two month gap between MDX and TLX TYPE S.

my take:
MDX - beginning Feb
TLX TYPE S - Mid April
Reveal of ILX replacement - Mid May
MDX TYPE S - July
April/May is prime selling season, historically May is the most cars sold month of the year. If I was doing the marketing I would like to see the car in dealers hands during March with magazine tests in the March issues that come out in February.

NB Hope the base number is at least 4.5 seconds in the tests with a 0.90+G in the 300ft skid pad test.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Hasn't Acura already stated that the MDX will go on sale February 2nd? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
pyrodan007 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by a35tl
Hasn't Acura already stated that the MDX will go on sale February 2nd? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
no that’s correct. So hopefully we know more about type s before then.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Agreed and more likely.
Seems like 2021 TLX Type-S would be released first (whenever that is) as the first prototypes are already built and running. Personally, I think it should have been released already and since it has not, I can't help but wonder if there are going to be some last-minute changes.

Not sure about mark-ups but likely just high MSRP with little-to-no incentives. That would be more inline with Acura's new vehicle releases, historically.
I think the "delay" has a lot to do with Acura taking a look at how the TLX sales go. For the most part, they haven't been impressive. November 2020 sales were the worst ever in the lifespan of the TLX. October 2020 was barely better than previous years. This is all without taking into account the fact that 1G TLXs were likely on fire sale to get them off the lot. I think Acura is going to see this and production of the Type-S is going to be very limited. I can see dealers only getting 1-2 allotments per year, so they'll be marked up like crazy. After all, morons are paying $10k over sticker for Civic Type-R's. With the limited numbers, dealers aren't going to be incentivized to move them, but rather, wait for a sucker to come by and make maximal profit off them. Type-S will be dead for the TLX again in no time at all.

The 5yr plan for Acura posted previously had no plans for an RDX Type-S, but they'd be foolish not to go that route. The standard TLX likely won't even see a 3G, and obviously the Type-S will meet its demise around the same time. The MDX-S will be about $70k, so even if it sells well for a car that price, sales are going to be limited in that echelon of vehicles. Gotta recoup the cost of development of that engine somehow, so I'd think sticking it in the next gen RDX would make the most sense.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Beaverking
no that’s correct. So hopefully we know more about type s before then.
Are yall are sayin the 2022 MDX is coming out before the 2021 TLX Type-S ?

Or, has the 2G TLX Type-S been renamed to 2022 TLX Type-S ?
Old 01-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I think the "delay" has a lot to do with Acura taking a look at how the TLX sales go.
I would not be surprised.

But isn't that like Audi looking at A5 sales before releasing the next S5. The engine and drive-train makes them substantially different, and one is $10k more than the other.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:36 PM
Advanced

Are yall are sayin the 2022 MDX is coming out before the 2021 TLX Type-S ?

Or, has the 2G TLX Type-S been renamed to 2022 TLX Type-S ?
the new Mdx is launching February 2, which at this point appears most likely to launch before tlx type s since no new information in months about that, still spring 2021. So it appears standard mdx February 2, sometime after that the tlx type s, then the mdx type s is slated summer 2021.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:19 PM

I would not be surprised.

But isn't that like Audi looking at A5 sales before releasing the next S5. The engine and drive-train makes them substantially different, and one is $10k more than the other.
Obviously, I'm speculating out of my ass, so I could be completely wrong. That being said, doing a quick Google search, the Audi A5 was released in 2007. The S5 was released in 2010, so it could very well have been the same idea. Though, that being said, I'm pretty sure the S5 is just a reskinned S4 anyways, so there wasn't as large of a development cost with a new engine, tweaked transmission, suspension, etc etc. The S4 was already well established as opposed to the new TLX Type-S. Audi is also sold across the globe, whereas Acura is exclusive to NA. If the TLX doesn't do well in the US, that's a wrap. Audi, at least the A4, doesn't do so hot in sales in the US either, but the A4/A4L model did more sales alone in China than the entire Acura brand in the US in 2018 & 2019.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Obviously, I'm speculating out of my ass, so I could be completely wrong. That being said, doing a quick Google search, the Audi A5 was released in 2007. The S5 was released in 2010, so it could very well have been the same idea. Though, that being said, I'm pretty sure the S5 is just a reskinned S4 anyways, so there wasn't as large of a development cost with a new engine, tweaked transmission, suspension, etc etc. The S4 was already well established as opposed to the new TLX Type-S. Audi is also sold across the globe, whereas Acura is exclusive to NA. If the TLX doesn't do well in the US, that's a wrap. Audi, at least the A4, doesn't do so hot in sales in the US either, but the A4/A4L model did more sales alone in China than the entire Acura brand in the US in 2018 & 2019.
This is a Type-S thread, so I won't go into great detail, but others might find this info useful.

The A4/S4 are similar, but the A5/S5/RS5 are different cars. The A5-SB/S5-SB/RS5-SportBacks are similar. The number designation is the core identity.
https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a540...del-explained/
Old 01-04-2021, 08:13 PM
Pro

Received 542 Likes on 265 Posts
I can see dealers only getting 1-2 allotments per year, so they'll be marked up like crazy. After all, morons are paying $10k over sticker for Civic Type-R's. With the limited numbers, dealers aren't going to be incentivized to move them, but rather, wait for a sucker to come by and make maximal profit off them. Type-S will be dead for the TLX again in no time at all.

The 5yr plan for Acura posted previously had no plans for an RDX Type-S, but they'd be foolish not to go that route. The standard TLX likely won't even see a 3G, and obviously the Type-S will meet its demise around the same time. The MDX-S will be about $70k, so even if it sells well for a car that price, sales are going to be limited in that echelon of vehicles. Gotta recoup the cost of development of that engine somehow, so I'd think sticking it in the next gen RDX would make the most sense.[/QUOTE]

Acura would be absolutely DUMB if they limit 2 Type S' per year. There's a pent up demand for them. They need to sell as many as they can and they will as long as they price it right.... I think RDX Type S will be released but they pushed it back due to so many releases in 2021 and they probably want to cash in on MDX Type S sales first as I'm sure there are some FAT margins there for them.

Quick Reply: Anybody seen or know a more solid release date for Type S?