Anybody seen or know a more solid release date for Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 02:14 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I explained why, if you can't read. They did not include the initial sign-on equity grant, which is usually at least $200K for NCGs. Split over the four years, and that's at least $50K extra per year that you receive in liquid equity. That's real money that you get, and is a huge part of the total compensation package.

I said:

You'd have to be a fool to think the initial grant + refresher is only on the order of a few tens of thousands.

Who's spouting out BS now?
You are because you said
and an annual refresher of about $100K vested over 4 years
yet the website you linked says $42k/year.

Again you linked it and can't even comply with a website you linked, so you're
Old 10-12-2020, 02:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Just admit it, you can't fathom that you're not making that kind of money, and are just telling yourself that it's not real and not what people are getting. And that's fine, tell yourself whatever you want to help you sleep better at night, but that doesn't make it any less real.
you just which I've shown in data you linked. Just because you can't tell the truth and lie doesn't make it real
Old 10-12-2020, 02:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Maybe depends on the team. It probably sucks for anyone who works in SRE, but that's true with many companies, and for everyone else the work-life balance seems to be pretty good from what I've heard from a lot of folks I know who work there, and they have some really great perks, especially for parents. Four months of fully paid paternity leave, $3K extra for childcare expenses, etc.

Frankly they can't afford to have a bad work-life balance because there are other companies willing to pay just as much with good conditions. Anyone who says it's too hard there is either on a bad team, or probably not cut out to be there much longer. You have two former colleagues that you pulled information from...I have two dozen that are currently at Facebook, not even counting those who used to work there.
Again it's the internet so you can say you know four dozen people there doesn't make it true. My daughter has heard a variety of good/bad/ugly FB stories from some former RIT grads who currently work or had worked there. Google seemed to have a better reputation for S/W engineers in terms of work/life balance from feedback she's gotten.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Again it's the internet so you can say you know four dozen people there doesn't make it true. My daughter has heard a variety of good/bad/ugly FB stories from some former RIT grads who currently or had worked there. Google seemed to have a better reputation for S/W engineers in terms of work/life balance from feedback she's gotten.
Yes Google is better, but FB is not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Keep in mind that you're located on the East Coast, and probably have a much different group of people with different experiences. I'm in Silicon Valley, where most of the people I've been working around are the top of the top. You mention RIT; that isn't even in the conversation around here when you have no shortage of graduates coming out of MIT, Cal Tech, Stanford, Berkeley, CMU, etc. Maybe, just maybe, the caliber of candidates on your end isn't quite as high, as far as the type of compensation they both expect and command?

You don't have to believe anything I'm saying, but why don't you go ahead and do a little bit more research before saying I'm just making stuff up. What incentive do I have to inflate numbers? I already provided you proof, unless you want to argue that initial grants and refreshers aren't as big as I say they are (and I'm sure I can find data to back me up on this).

If you want another data point, here's this guy with just 2 years of experience.
https://www.teamblind.com/post/shari...rence-yNgqUPQR
I see many questions on compensation here and would like to help answer some of them with the limited data I have. I'd like to shed some light on what the industry is paying and also encourage people to negotiate hard.

I went on an interviewing spree recently with the big companies for an SWE position and would like to share some offer numbers. The numbers below are all annual figures. I have two years of professional experience.

1) Google - 140k base, 100k RSUs, 50k sign on, 15% bonus

2) Facebook - 160k base, 75k RSUs, 75k sign on, 10% bonus

3) Lyft - 170k base, 180k RSUs, 20k sign on

4) Dropbox - 160k base, 115k RSUs, 10k sign on

5) Airbnb - 150k base, 75k RSUs, 15k sign on

6) Palantir - 150k base, 50k stock options, 25k sign on, 25k bonus

TWO years of experience, figures above are ANNUAL.
This is from 3 years ago, and probably before negotiating much. The job market is even hotter today even with the pandemic going on.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-12-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts
Each day, this thread reminds me we are one day closer to the launch of Type-S.

How about you guys talk about your own numbers? Just kidding, I can say in Bay Area tech people make good money, and stock is a big part of the total compensation in any public companies offerung good package. The numbers I saw on those salary websites, somehow tend to be lower than what I heard. I tend to believe the higher ones, and try not to look at mine because comparison never ends...
Old 10-12-2020, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sonyfever
Each day, this thread reminds me we are one day closer to the launch of Type-S.

How about you guys talk about your own numbers? Just kidding, I can say in Bay Area tech people make good money, and stock is a big part of the total compensation in any public companies offerung good package. The numbers I saw on those salary websites, somehow tend to be lower than what I heard. I tend to believe the higher ones, and try not to look at mine because comparison never ends...
I could, but I'm just a random guy on the internet. Seems like if someone online says something that doesn't match with his pre-existing views, it's automatically fake news and BS. I could post up offer letters and W2s and I'm sure he'll just claim they're fake.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:51 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Topic: "Anybody seen or know a more solid release date for Type S?"

Let's rein it in a bit and be respectful of people who click on a topic to actually read or engage in said topic
The following 6 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
04WDPSeDaN (10-13-2020), a35tl (10-12-2020), cnst (10-13-2020), KidK (11-28-2020), sonyfever (10-13-2020), Terragotti (10-19-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-12-2020, 04:29 PM
06 G35 6MT

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

Let's rein it in a bit and be respectful of people who click on a topic to actually read or engage in said topic
Please! FFS!
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 04:37 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

My bad, my pet peeve of seeing false info presented by someone especially when it conflicts with info they linked

Back on topic, I'm guessing June 7th for release date for Type-S. Guessing COVID19 may have some effect with supply chain management for production.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:47 PM
Safety Car

My bad, my pet peeve of seeing false info presented by someone especially when it conflicts with info they linked

Back on topic, I'm guessing June 7th for release date for Type-S. Guessing COVID19 may have some effect with supply chain management for production.
I can't help it if reading comprehension is lacking for some folks here and are seemingly incapable of admitting when they're wrong about something they have no first-hand knowledge of their own to share. But that's OK, that's why the Internet exists, so blockheads can continue to stubbornly hold onto their uninformed beliefs.

As to the Type-S, We heard from someone that their dealer said it's coming out in January...but it's a random online person so...

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-12-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:53 PM
AZ Community Team

I can't help it if reading comprehension is lacking for some folks here and are seemingly incapable of admitting when they're wrong about something they have no first-hand knowledge of their own to share. But that's OK, that's why the Internet exists, so blockheads can continue to stubbornly hold onto their uninformed beliefs.
Keep up the lying

New college grads are getting at least $250K a year in total comp.
and an annual refresher of about $100K vested over 4 years
And yes, NCG comp at FANG companies are that high (keyword, FANG). I have plenty of engineers on my team that were making that fresh out of school. For a relatively average eng, you can expect about $130K in base comp, 20% annual bonus,
I don't really care if you believe me or not, but here's some actual data for other people who do actually want to know.

https://www.levels.fyi/company/Faceb...e-Engineer/E3/
https://www.levels.fyi/company/Googl...e-Engineer/L3/

Your linked data sites shows those statements to be false

Average Total Compensation
$178,208

Base Salary
$119,896

Stock Grant
$43,057

Bonus
$15,255

Bonus/Salary = $15,255/$119,896 = 12.7% not 20%
$43,057 in annual stock options, not $100k

Again these are your quotes and your linked data sites, so you're the one who cannot comprehend basic reading and math

Last edited by Legend2TL; 10-12-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:03 PM
Safety Car

I'll paste this here one last time, but if you can't bother to read what I wrote more carefully, there's only so much I can do.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16642840

But I'll try one last time to sum it all up for you. If you still can't figure it out, I guess that's why you can't fathom people are being paid this much, because you clearly aren't worth being paid like them .

1) Their number does not include the initial stock grant, only the refresher. The initial grant is usually pretty large, and is a big part of the total compensation.
2) Their refresher stock grant number is annualized. $43K per year for 4 years is a $172K refresher, so my $100K is actually underselling it. You get $43K vested each year for 4 years, but that's an under-representation because it snowballs; next year, you get another $43K vested each year for 4 years, and so on. By the time year 4 hits, you have 4 of those $43K's vesting simultaneously, so your effective vest amount each year is the full $43K*4 = $172K in equity. Do you not understand how vesting works?
3) The 20% bonus is the target, who knows why on average they present 13%. Some do 10% for NCG, some do 15%, some do 20%, I'll give you that much that 20% is on the higher end.

Seems like you look for a tiny inconsistency in what I say, and then extrapolate that to mean everything I say has no merit. I guess if that's how you want to approach things and stick your head into the sand, more power to you.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-12-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:09 PM
AZ Community Team

^ just stop posting, you've been clearly proven wrong by your own words and linked data.

FFS, let's get back on topic!
Old 10-12-2020, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

^ just stop posting, you've been clearly proven wrong by your own words and linked data.

FFS, let's get back on topic!
Keep saying I've been proven wrong. You haven't done a single thing to address what I just said. Is that how you win all your arguments, just keep saying the other person is wrong but not actually addressing what they say? Sounds like a certain President we all know and love.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:09 PM
AZ Community Team

FYI they don't get stock options, most of the big tech companies offer RSUs. No need to worry about a strike price, it's literally shares being granted to you as soon as they vest.

And yes, NCG comp at FANG companies are that high (keyword, FANG). I have plenty of engineers on my team that were making that fresh out of school. For a relatively average eng, you can expect about $130K in base comp, 20% annual bonus, an initial grant of $200K vested over 4 years, and an annual refresher of about $100K vested over 4 years. 130 + 26 + 200/4 + 100 is well over 300K and that's before you factor in other stuff like 401k matching, various perks like free gym, all sorts of reimbursements, etc.
I'll paste this here one last time, but if you can't bother to read what I wrote more carefully, there's only so much I can do.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-.../#post16642840

But I'll try one last time to sum it all up for you. If you still can't figure it out, I guess that's why you can't fathom people are being paid this much, because you clearly aren't worth being paid like them .

1) Their number does not include the initial stock grant, only the refresher. The initial grant is usually pretty large, and is a big part of the total compensation.
2) Their refresher stock grant number is annualized. $43K per year for 4 years is a $172K refresher, so my $100K is actually underselling it. You get $43K vested each year for 4 years, but that's an under-representation because it snowballs; next year, you get another $43K vested each year for 4 years, and so on. By the time year 4 hits, you have 4 of those $43K's vesting simultaneously, so your effective vest amount each year is the full $43K*4 = $172K in equity. Do you not understand how vesting works?
3) The 20% bonus is the target, who knows why on average they present 13%. Some do 10% for NCG, some do 15%, some do 20%, I'll give you that much that 20% is on the higher end.

Seems like you look for a tiny inconsistency in what I say, and then extrapolate that to mean everything I say has no merit. I guess if that's how you want to approach things and stick your head into the sand, more power to you.
You initially said
annual refresher of $100k
, then you say
so my $100K is actually underselling it. You get $43K vested each year for 4 years,
Again you seem to not understand basic math and/or English, so I've proven you wrong, please just stop FFS.
You're wrong, be a real man and admit it.

My apologies to the others on the thread to have to endure proving him wrong again.

Back to the Type-S intro, date still thinking June 7, 2021

Last edited by Legend2TL; 10-12-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:59 AM
06 G35 6MT

Guys, please just PM eachother FFS. Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vicious Type S:
bilirubin (10-13-2020), cnst (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 666 Likes on 359 Posts
no date yet?
Old 10-22-2020, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Lightbulb 2021 TLX Type-S hopes

At this point, I don’t even care if the engine makes more power. The thing could have 500hp, but if they don’t improve the transmission responsiveness it’ll still be a letdown.
So, after test-driving the 2021 TLX 2.0T SH-AWD ... I'll say this .

If Acura was to take a TLX 2.0T SH-AWD Advance and ...
a. swap-out the engine for it's new 3.0L-Turbo-V6 & 10-AT (beefed-up ?) drive-train combo
b. add the body-effects
c. swap for nicer rims and tires
d. whatever else they said in official video

They would have something very nice. I think it would be worth $55,000 ($58,000 OTD) to many Acura sedan enthusiasts in USA.

But it would have to be perfect. Meaning:
a. the moment you floor-it ... amazing things would need to start happening instantly (0-60 and 30-70)
b. it can't be missing the HUD or the magical side-mirrors
c. any common-sense things I'm missing

Anything less than that, I'm not so sure.

As for me, I'll just be watching from the side-lines as I think that is too rich for me for a second-car daily-driver. I wanted something around $40k, but I'm already seriously considering cars over $50k.
It's only money but I have to draw the line somewhere (otherwise I'll end-up with another $60k vehicle in the garage).

Last edited by Tesla1856; 10-22-2020 at 05:53 PM.
cnst (10-25-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 07:09 AM
06 G35 6MT

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
So, after test-driving the 2021 TLX 2.0T SH-AWD ... I'll say this .

If Acura was to take a TLX 2.0T SH-AWD Advance and ...
a. swap-out the engine for it's new 3.0L-Turbo-V6 & 10-AT (beefed-up ?) drive-train combo
b. add the body-effects
c. swap for nicer rims and tires
d. whatever else they said in official video

They would have something very nice. I think it would be worth $55,000 ($58,000 OTD) to many Acura sedan enthusiasts in USA.

But it would have to be perfect. Meaning:
a. the moment you floor-it ... amazing things would need to start happening instantly (0-60 and 30-70)
b. it can't be missing the HUD or the magical side-mirrors
c. any common-sense things I'm missing

Anything less than that, I'm not so sure.

As for me, I'll just be watching from the side-lines as I think that is too rich for me for a second-car daily-driver. I wanted something around $40k, but I'm already seriously considering cars over $50k.
It's only money but I have to draw the line somewhere (otherwise I'll end-up with another $60k vehicle in the garage).
I hope you're right, I don't buy cars very often so this car needs to be future proof for awhile... my last/current car I bought brand new was a 06 G35 6MT, while fun and still runs great and I'll never get rid of it but I need to catch up with technology and the Advance has the features I'm looking for, just need the Type S to have the same amount of features as I can't go from a 300hp 3500lb car to 272hp car that's almost 500lbs heavier.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Vicious Type S
I don't buy cars very often so this car needs to be future proof for awhile...
Yeah, I think we are a dying breed. Not sure our ideas/ways fit with now-days economy and build-quality.

I still drive a 2004 V6-Accord. Runs fine and fast.
I kept my 1994 Accord coupe for 19 years.
KidK (11-28-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 06:34 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Yeah, I think we are a dying breed. Not sure our ideas/ways fit with now-days economy and build-quality.

I still drive a 2004 V6-Accord. Runs fine and fast.
I kept my 1994 Accord coupe for 19 years.
Add me to the list. It's the biggest thing keeping me from going German. But, I think sooner or later I'm going to scratch that itch. It'll probably be BMW, and it'll likely be an I6. The more I research, the more I see more and more signs steering me away from anything with a German V8 in it. But, being a car guy, I want to see for myself what they're all about. Whether the long-term reliability woes are conjecture or factual. Having seen how poorly people maintain their cars, fighting tooth and nail over why you shouldn't do maintenance more often ... I want to find out for myself. If I get burned, oh well ... lesson learned. I do find myself constantly coming back to the TLX-S though. At this point, the biggest thing will be its performance figures ... and if they're underwhelming, what the aftermarket can do to remedy it. If it's not up to my standards, I'll spend slightly more for the M340i, which at that time will likely be at the end of its cycle and incentivized to perhaps even be less than the Type-S.

You'll likely be hard pressed to find one for sticker the first year. Depending on sales, it'll likely be the end of year 2 before you'll get for under sticker, if ever. If they sell well, or if production is limited, it'll probably go the way of the CTR where they sit around for months because they know someone's eventually going to come along and pay over sticker for it.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leomio85
Add me to the list. It's the biggest thing keeping me from going German. But, I think sooner or later I'm going to scratch that itch. It'll probably be BMW, and it'll likely be an I6. The more I research, the more I see more and more signs steering me away from anything with a German V8 in it. But, being a car guy, I want to see for myself what they're all about. Whether the long-term reliability woes are conjecture or factual. Having seen how poorly people maintain their cars, fighting tooth and nail over why you shouldn't do maintenance more often ... I want to find out for myself. If I get burned, oh well ... lesson learned. I do find myself constantly coming back to the TLX-S though. At this point, the biggest thing will be its performance figures ... and if they're underwhelming, what the aftermarket can do to remedy it. If it's not up to my standards, I'll spend slightly more for the M340i, which at that time will likely be at the end of its cycle and incentivized to perhaps even be less than the Type-S.

You'll likely be hard pressed to find one for sticker the first year. Depending on sales, it'll likely be the end of year 2 before you'll get for under sticker, if ever. If they sell well, or if production is limited, it'll probably go the way of the CTR where they sit around for months because they know someone's eventually going to come along and pay over sticker for it.
I think Type-S won't be that much sought after because of super-strong competitions compared to Type-R. I would be surprised to find Type-S stay at MSRP after six months. Keep in mind this segment is not only attached by SUV but also the many sedan EVs that are launching next year.

Yeah, better stay away from german V8 unless you lease or don't care about maintenance cost. On BMW V8, I have read endless issues past warranty. Sometimes, a dream is best staying as a dream.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:27 PM
06 G35 6MT

I think Type-S won't be that much sought after because of super-strong competitions compared to Type-R. I would be surprised to find Type-S stay at MSRP after six months. Keep in mind this segment is not only attached by SUV but also the many sedan EVs that are launching next year.

Yeah, better stay away from german V8 unless you lease or don't care about maintenance cost. On BMW V8, I have read endless issues past warranty. Sometimes, a dream is best staying as a dream.
That's the biggest problem, u can work ur ass off to buy ur dream car, but the maintenance is a whole other monster.

I really hope the Acura dealers realize this and don't get too greedy raise the price cuz it's gonna sit there on their lots while the M340i's fly out at the dealer next door lol.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts

The problem with what we all read online (including here on Acurazine) is the negatives tend to drown out the positives. In fact, when you don’t have a problem with a car, you normally don’t bother posting anything about the car. It’s only when problems surface that you start researching fixes and what other owners did about it.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had V8 engines in a 2001 BMW 740i (driven 30,000 km), a 2006 Audi S4 (35,000 km), a 2009 C63 AMG (24,000 km), and a 2009 R8 4.2 (45,000 km) and the only engine problem I’ve ever had were coil packs that needed replacing on the S4 at around 25,000 km under warranty.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
The problem with what we all read online (including here on Acurazine) is the negatives tend to drown out the positives. In fact, when you don’t have a problem with a car, you normally don’t bother posting anything about the car. It’s only when problems surface that you start researching fixes and what other owners did about it.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had V8 engines in a 2001 BMW 740i (driven 30,000 km), a 2006 Audi S4 (35,000 km), a 2009 C63 AMG (24,000 km), and a 2009 R8 4.2 (45,000 km) and the only engine problem I’ve ever had were coil packs that needed replacing on the S4 at around 25,000 km under warranty.
I have no doubt those engines are fine below the warranty mileage - think about it, the the limit is set because manufacturers know their engines should be mostly trouble-free below that. The keyword is "beyond warranty" - higher mileage and the BMW V8 tend to start drinking motor oil. And there are more potential issues to appear from my research a while ago, though I forgot exactly what they are.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:23 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Truth.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:51 AM
06 G35 6MT

As time has gone by, I've heard more n more that this Type S is releasing in February... We are almost in December now, so only 2-3 months away and they are still keeping the final spec, numbers, and price from us? I hope they take this time to see the reviews and sales numbers and adjust accordingly. Cuz if This thing is released at 4200lbs with only 355hp and barely crack the 4 seconds for 0-60 times with bad packaging And a high price, I don't see how it can be successful.

Value's gone, not made in Japan with brand new motor and everything else so reliability is questionable, performance is their big push but at this weight and power, that'll be definitely questionable and everyone will be focusing on it, not to mention the packaging, we won't be leading any technology advancements. I will not rush and get a M340i till I see reviews for the Type S but the more I wait, the less confidence I have. They need to make a surprise move to regain all the hype they've lost since the Concept.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:26 AM

I have no doubt those engines are fine below the warranty mileage - think about it, the the limit is set because manufacturers know their engines should be mostly trouble-free below that. The keyword is "beyond warranty" - higher mileage and the BMW V8 tend to start drinking motor oil. And there are more potential issues to appear from my research a while ago, though I forgot exactly what they are.
The BMW N63 engine can't even make it thru warranty without needing an engine-out warranty repair. I can only imagine the nightmare after warranty expires. This alone is what scared me away from thinking about picking up a lightly used F90 M5. I don't know why BMW just can't get it right with their V8s.

As time has gone by, I've heard more n more that this Type S is releasing in February... We are almost in December now, so only 2-3 months away and they are still keeping the final spec, numbers, and price from us? I hope they take this time to see the reviews and sales numbers and adjust accordingly. Cuz if This thing is released at 4200lbs with only 355hp and barely crack the 4 seconds for 0-60 times with bad packaging And a high price, I don't see how it can be successful.

Value's gone, not made in Japan with brand new motor and everything else so reliability is questionable, performance is their big push but at this weight and power, that'll be definitely questionable and everyone will be focusing on it, not to mention the packaging, we won't be leading any technology advancements. I will not rush and get a M340i till I see reviews for the Type S but the more I wait, the less confidence I have. They need to make a surprise move to regain all the hype they've lost since the Concept.
Curious where you're seeing people talk about a February release date? I'm not contesting it, I've just literally seen absolutely nothing about the Type-S since the hype from the summer evaporated. It's certainly not the best time to release a vehicle, but it may help jumpstart sales for the TLX. I'm hoping they pull a CTR move and underrate the powerplant. I don't think the engine will be a reliability question mark ... Honda generally has that down pretty good. It's the rest of the drivetrain that I'd be concerned about. Transmission, diff and transfer case ... those are going to be the big question marks. I've been saying it for some time now, and I honestly think that is what's holding the numbers back here. It'll likely also be the reason why (if) the performance figures don't light the world on fire either. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Just try out the M340i on an extended test drive before you buy. I hear a lot of complaints about how uncomfortable the seats are the more I've researched, but every body type is different. Also, seeing some issues with the intake having oil leak issues. Good ol' BMW and their cheap, hard plastics in their engine bays. Nothing too concerning yet, as most say it's not a widespread issue, and their I6's are certainly far more reliable than their V8's, but this niggling feeling is really what holds me back from buying a German automaker. I may just reserve that for when I'm older and start leasing cars. That M340i is a helluva package though.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:18 AM
06 G35 6MT

The BMW N63 engine can't even make it thru warranty without needing an engine-out warranty repair. I can only imagine the nightmare after warranty expires. This alone is what scared me away from thinking about picking up a lightly used F90 M5. I don't know why BMW just can't get it right with their V8s.

Curious where you're seeing people talk about a February release date? I'm not contesting it, I've just literally seen absolutely nothing about the Type-S since the hype from the summer evaporated. It's certainly not the best time to release a vehicle, but it may help jumpstart sales for the TLX. I'm hoping they pull a CTR move and underrate the powerplant. I don't think the engine will be a reliability question mark ... Honda generally has that down pretty good. It's the rest of the drivetrain that I'd be concerned about. Transmission, diff and transfer case ... those are going to be the big question marks. I've been saying it for some time now, and I honestly think that is what's holding the numbers back here. It'll likely also be the reason why (if) the performance figures don't light the world on fire either. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Just try out the M340i on an extended test drive before you buy. I hear a lot of complaints about how uncomfortable the seats are the more I've researched, but every body type is different. Also, seeing some issues with the intake having oil leak issues. Good ol' BMW and their cheap, hard plastics in their engine bays. Nothing too concerning yet, as most say it's not a widespread issue, and their I6's are certainly far more reliable than their V8's, but this niggling feeling is really what holds me back from buying a German automaker. I may just reserve that for when I'm older and start leasing cars. That M340i is a helluva package though.
I'm not too worried for the M340i's I6 since it's so widespread on many of their vehicles, its definitely a everything else scenario I'm worried about. As for the Type S, it's a lot of new components too, and I agree with you on all that. We're probably In a close situation, I can afford the M340i but I'm worried I can't afford the maintenance after warranty.

I've seen it on a few reviews mentioning the Feb release, the latest I can remember is Raiti's review. We are all hoping they underrate this motor because even if I wasn't in the market right now, I want the Type S to be successful, they need an actual affordable performance sedan.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:41 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I'm not too worried for the M340i's I6 since it's so widespread on many of their vehicles, its definitely a everything else scenario I'm worried about. As for the Type S, it's a lot of new components too, and I agree with you on all that. We're probably In a close situation, I can afford the M340i but I'm worried I can't afford the maintenance after warranty.

I've seen it on a few reviews mentioning the Feb release, the latest I can remember is Raiti's review. We are all hoping they underrate this motor because even if I wasn't in the market right now, I want the Type S to be successful, they need an actual affordable performance sedan.
Do some research in this section https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/index.php. From my own personal experiences, the B series BMW engines are very reliable as are the transmissions used for the B48 and B58. It's mostly the mis. things that have an issue. Like the radiator shutters that open and close, the actuator fails. Certain head lights get condensation inside. Maybe the ambient lighting has "heat" marks in them. ect ect. Small items that generally fail within warranty and aren't expensive to repair after warranty. As for the seats, yes, it's a hit or miss. I have the sports seats in my base model X3 but have the cooled seats in the M40i. Both are great, I feel as if the cooled seats are more comfortable. Others would say the cooled seats are less comfortable. Everyone is different, as mentioned above. These vehicles can be had for a great price, nearly loaded with CPO. The aftermarket support is wonderful. A downpipe and reflash tune, will yield some insane numbers. The TLX-S is behind the ball already with zero aftermarket support. Only benefit of waiting for the TLX-S, is the chance to get a better deal on a used M340i. As for my M40i, it's been mechanically sound. Both of my G01's have been reliable but the M40i has been rock solid with one headlight needing replacement due to condensation. No other issues.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:58 AM
06 G35 6MT

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Do some research in this section https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/index.php. From my own personal experiences, the B series BMW engines are very reliable as are the transmissions used for the B48 and B58. It's mostly the mis. things that have an issue. Like the radiator shutters that open and close, the actuator fails. Certain head lights get condensation inside. Maybe the ambient lighting has "heat" marks in them. ect ect. Small items that generally fail within warranty and aren't expensive to repair after warranty. As for the seats, yes, it's a hit or miss. I have the sports seats in my base model X3 but have the cooled seats in the M40i. Both are great, I feel as if the cooled seats are more comfortable. Others would say the cooled seats are less comfortable. Everyone is different, as mentioned above. These vehicles can be had for a great price, nearly loaded with CPO. The aftermarket support is wonderful. A downpipe and reflash tune, will yield some insane numbers. The TLX-S is behind the ball already with zero aftermarket support. Only benefit of waiting for the TLX-S, is the chance to get a better deal on a used M340i. As for my M40i, it's been mechanically sound. Both of my G01's have been reliable but the M40i has been rock solid with one headlight needing replacement due to condensation. No other issues.
Thanks for your input! I will spend some time on that post right now, I've never gone German so I'm a little worried since I've had my G35 from new till now, 15yrs and counting with no issues except a circuit board went bad after winter storage 1 year but my friend who owns a shop just installed a brand new1 for me free of charge, I think another reason I'm worried is because he complains about the fixes he has to do on them all the time, I would be less worried if they are keeping their shop but his family is closing it down this year. I will definitely be waiting for the Type S since it will help with a better deal vs the M340i and since I tend to keep cars for a long time, I would like to see some more reviews on them b4 purchase.
04WDPSeDaN (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 12:09 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Thanks for your input! I will spend some time on that post right now, I've never gone German so I'm a little worried since I've had my G35 from new till now, 15yrs and counting with no issues except a circuit board went bad after winter storage 1 year but my friend who owns a shop just installed a brand new1 for me free of charge, I think another reason I'm worried is because he complains about the fixes he has to do on them all the time, I would be less worried if they are keeping their shop but his family is closing it down this year. I will definitely be waiting for the Type S since it will help with a better deal vs the M340i and since I tend to keep cars for a long time, I would like to see some more reviews on them b4 purchase.
I hear you. I'm the same way. I did a ton of research on the new X3 before buying. Being part of multiple pages / forums, these vehicles are more reliable than what they were. I own both of my X3's and plan to keep them for as long as possible. All the services have been basic stuff like oil changes, filters, wiper blades ect. Really nothing all that absurd from anything else i've owned or worked on. If you could find an M340i with the executive package, go for it. I have it on my M40i and it's well worth it. There's a member on xbimmers that offers OEM extended warranties for a crazy discounted price. I'm in the process of sending him my information to get a quote. As of right now, both of my BWM's have service packages. They do all the maintenance for free. Best of luck and if you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
Vicious Type S (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Most of this fear of German cars is due to people buying used, abused high performance cars they couldn't afford when new. Of course a Used mid to high mileage AMG or M car will be expensive to fix and were probably abused. These are cars nearing $100K when new so the maintenance will not be cheap. Any car is a gamble, three of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned were Japanese. 1994 Accord, 2006 G35 and 2004 TL . All those cars were horrible and when the TL was out of warranty it basically fell apart.
ismelllikepoop (01-08-2021)
Old 11-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm on two five series forums every day and have been since early 2012. I had a 2012 550 that I had for three years and put 45,000 miles on. I have a three and a half year old 540 now. Since the debacle on the 2012-2013 400 hp V8s, I virtually never see any posts on 550 engine problems. My 550 had to have the injectors replaced at 23,000 miles, but that was the only issue I had. It burned oil at a rate of a quart every 8-10,000 miles.

I think since they updated the engine in (I think) 2014 it seems to be pretty reliable. Every engine is prone to occasional issues, and I’m sure there are some. But going by the forum I don’t think many.

I agree that the I6 is a heck of an engine. The 335 hp 540 that I have is exactly as fast as my 400 hp 550 was. It is unbelievably smooth and gets amazing gas mileage, But I do lust for the current 523 hp 550. I didn’t get one only because I knew I was going to be retiring and wanted to save money.

Last edited by jjsC5; 11-24-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:48 PM
06 G35 6MT

Originally Posted by Kense
Most of this fear of German cars is due to people buying used, abused high performance cars they couldn't afford when new. Of course a Used mid to high mileage AMG or M car will be expensive to fix and were probably abused. These are cars nearing $100K when new so the maintenance will not be cheap. Any car is a gamble, three of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned were Japanese. 1994 Accord, 2006 G35 and 2004 TL . All those cars were horrible and when the TL was out of warranty it basically fell apart.
Sorry to hear about your luck, I'm still driving my 06 G35 6MT and only issue was the circuit board which got replaced free of charge. My fear of the germans is from my friend who has a mechanic shop telling me his opinion. But if the price is right compared to the TLX-S i may switch over n give em a chance this time!
Old 11-24-2020, 02:53 PM
06 G35 6MT

I hear you. I'm the same way. I did a ton of research on the new X3 before buying. Being part of multiple pages / forums, these vehicles are more reliable than what they were. I own both of my X3's and plan to keep them for as long as possible. All the services have been basic stuff like oil changes, filters, wiper blades ect. Really nothing all that absurd from anything else i've owned or worked on. If you could find an M340i with the executive package, go for it. I have it on my M40i and it's well worth it. There's a member on xbimmers that offers OEM extended warranties for a crazy discounted price. I'm in the process of sending him my information to get a quote. As of right now, both of my BWM's have service packages. They do all the maintenance for free. Best of luck and if you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
Yea since I tend to keep my cars as long as possible, I want to future proof it a bit so I will be getting that package, in canada it's called the Premium Excellence package, pretty hefty price but I do want the surround camera and Laser headlights n sound system n whatnot. im Guessing realistically at least 4 months till the TLX-S is out, then the real research and buying process will begin, Can't wait! And thanks for the open invitation, if I go the BMW route I will definitely be looking for advice!
04WDPSeDaN (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Sorry to hear about your luck, I'm still driving my 06 G35 6MT and only issue was the circuit board which got replaced free of charge. My fear of the Germans is from my friend who has a mechanic shop telling me his opinion. But if the price is right compared to the TLX-S i may switch over n give em a chance this time!
My G35 made it to 80K before it needed a new engine. I had horrible Oil Consumption problems. At that point it was cheaper to just get rid of the car. Independent Mechanics always tend to have horror stories about certain makes. Especially older ones, My dad had Audi's and a 190E Benz that were constantly in the shop but these were 90s versions that are notoriously unreliable. Things have change quite a bit. I now drive a BMW and so far so good.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:31 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Yea since I tend to keep my cars as long as possible, I want to future proof it a bit so I will be getting that package, in canada it's called the Premium Excellence package, pretty hefty price but I do want the surround camera and Laser headlights n sound system n whatnot. im Guessing realistically at least 4 months till the TLX-S is out, then the real research and buying process will begin, Can't wait! And thanks for the open invitation, if I go the BMW route I will definitely be looking for advice!

Anytime man! Good luck with everything. If it matters, I still own my 2004 TL (A-spec & 6MT) which is in pristine condition. It's the best Acura to me and has cost me quite a bit over the nearly 14 years of ownership. I drove the new TLX and it felt dull to me, as if I wasn't connected to the car. The overall, this is where they could have done better vs the cost really turned me off.. When I drive my TL, i'm one with the car and perhaps that has a lot to do with it being a manual. However, it also feels like an older vehicle without all that new technology. It's hard to explain, but you will certainly understand it coming from a 6MT. The M340i will certainly make you happy. BMW is indeed a drivers vehicle and more so on the M performance versions. There is a significant difference from my base X3 to my M40i and that B58 engine sounds incredible. The 2020 supra I drove had the BEST exhaust setup. Very similar to the M340i just more aggressive. VQ is known to be one of the best engines and without a doubt the B58 will become as legendary as the VQ.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I'm on two five series forums every day and have been since early 2012. I had a 2012 550 that I had for three years and put 45,000 miles on. I have a three and a half year old 540 now. Since the debacle on the 2012-2013 400 hp V8s, I virtually never see any posts on 550 engine problems. My 550 had to have the injectors replaced at 23,000 miles, but that was the only issue I had. It burned oil at a rate of a quart every 8-10,000 miles.

I think since they updated the engine in (I think) 2014 it seems to be pretty reliable. Every engine is prone to occasional issues, and I’m sure there are some. But going by the forum I don’t think many.

I agree that the I6 is a heck of an engine. The 335 hp 540 that I have is exactly as fast as my 400 hp 550 was. It is unbelievably smooth and gets amazing gas mileage, But I do lust for the current 523 hp 550. I didn’t get one only because I knew I was going to be retiring and wanted to save money.
I don't disagree that there are reliable ones out there, but I'd rather not be in the "unlucky" camp ... which I usually am. Take my RDX for instance ... people say their interiors are rock solid, meanwhile, mine sounds like rocks are rolling around in the interior, lol. When there are mechanics on Reddit talking about how there are "fights" (not physically, obviously) over the 3 engine tables in their dealer shop (why 3?!) thanks primarily to the N63, you know there's a problem. Thing is, BMW is stepping up and actually fixing the problem, so people who do have problems don't seek to raise hell on the internet. At least, that's my interpretation of it. It's not that these things are having catastrophic failures either ... they're usually minor issues that could potentially lead to catastrophic issues down the road. Bad valve seals seem to be the most common thing. But, it requires the engine to come out. Not something I'd look to foot without a warranty.

At least for me personally, I'd probably opt for the B58, at most, right now with the longest available extended warranty. The fact that Toyota finds that engine good enough to stake their reputation on in the Supra certainly helps calm some nerves. The M5 is still my dream car ... but I'm just not ready to roll the dice on one just yet at this stage in my life.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:49 PM
06 G35 6MT

Anytime man! Good luck with everything. If it matters, I still own my 2004 TL (A-spec & 6MT) which is in pristine condition. It's the best Acura to me and has cost me quite a bit over the nearly 14 years of ownership. I drove the new TLX and it felt dull to me, as if I wasn't connected to the car. The overall, this is where they could have done better vs the cost really turned me off.. When I drive my TL, i'm one with the car and perhaps that has a lot to do with it being a manual. However, it also feels like an older vehicle without all that new technology. It's hard to explain, but you will certainly understand it coming from a 6MT. The M340i will certainly make you happy. BMW is indeed a drivers vehicle and more so on the M performance versions. There is a significant difference from my base X3 to my M40i and that B58 engine sounds incredible. The 2020 supra I drove had the BEST exhaust setup. Very similar to the M340i just more aggressive. VQ is known to be one of the best engines and without a doubt the B58 will become as legendary as the VQ.
Yea with the way the automotive industry is going, I don't see too many 6MT cars that are actually affordable and fun with some decent hp sticking around too long so I'm gonna try to keep mine till it has to be put down for good. It will become the weekend car, not too many features, basically just a CD player and heated seats lol. The M340i or TLX-S should be great DD's with enough features to keep me satisfied for a while. And omg yo u gotta post pics of ur A-spec TL 6MT! I remember when those came out, I was still in HS and saving for my G35, beautiful. My first car was a 96 2.5TL n that's what I was driving when I was seeing the A-Spec TL's around.
04WDPSeDaN (11-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Anybody seen or know a more solid release date for Type S?