Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 1,246 Likes on 904 Posts
Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
Right. This is why everyone still buys suburbans and explorers and conversion vans.

Nobody cares about fun.
You also have to temper the fact that you are driving your family around. "Spirited" driving increases insurance premiums and fatalities in accidents.
The following users liked this post:
MarcoTLX (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
You also have to temper the fact that you are driving your family around. "Spirited" driving increases insurance premiums and fatalities in accidents.

As does disengaged driving. When youre checked out bc youre driving a bus.
The following 2 users liked this post by FactoryMatt:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-12-2021), MarcoTLX (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
The counter point. Suburban's run in the 3 ton weight class & will not put down good numbers at the Nürburgring. That said I think good handling is very important in big SUV simply because they can go very fast & need to be able to steer & stop without rolling over. They also need to be stable & not sway when pulling a good sized trailer. In other words you need to do what you can to minimize the risk by getting the best suspension & brakes you can.

Personally, I run Brembo brakes, adaptive suspension, LSD, optional tires-wheels, heavy duty trailer package. 420BHP with a 10 speed keeps the revs low at interstate speed but also has enough bottom end to drive easily at low speeds of starting from a stop. On the safety stuff I run the radars for closing distance/speed & blind spot warnings. Most of the other stuff is shut down. I come down on the side of being alert instead of lulled into complacency using a full nannie set.

Bottom line is its no car but it needs to be set-up the best it can be.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:43 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Originally Posted by bilirubin
Just to get us back on topic (sorry), here's a track review of the Type S, overall quite positive and it did quite well consider the other cars were modded...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGIHE-2iC6A
Thx for posting!

Originally Posted by Honda430
Definitely can’t acuse them of being Honda/Acura fanboys. The expressed lack on foreknowledge of the vehicle seemed genuine. And, they ran those laps in the all seasons.
No they didn't seem like fanboys at all, agree they seemed to genuine in their comments and observations before and after driving at the track

Originally Posted by F23A4
Seems like all TLX models come somewhat undertired. That said, seems like yet another reviewer who was 'meh' at first but was ultimately sold on the Type S.
A/S tires FTMFW
werd: similar handling thoughts they had to what Edmunds and AoA said
Old 12-12-2021, 12:59 PM
AZ Community Team

2021 Acura TLX long-term update: The Type S handoff

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...e-s-long-term/

In which we say goodbye to our TLX 2.0T Advance and welcome a lovely Type S to our long-term fleet...

A mostly fond farewell
​​​​​​​
Our year with the Phantom Violet TLX 2.0T SH-AWD Advance was largely drama-free. It's not an exciting car to drive, but we firmly believe it's OK if Acura just wants to lean into luxury. Not every TLX needs to be sporty; let the Type S carry that torch.

Many of us maintain the TLX looks better than a lot of its rivals, and even after a year with our Type S-less tester, we kept finding ourselves attracted to that design. "The TLX makes a great first impression," writes Social Media Editor Daniel Golson. "It finally looks like a proper luxury car, and I love the rear-drive proportions that Acura was able to achieve."

A highlight of our year with the TLX was its excellent highway ride, allowing us to really pile on the miles with ease. The TLX found its way up and down the West Coast on multiple occasions, and became a road-trip favorite with our Los Angeles- and San Francisco-based staff. Off the highway, the TLX earned praise for its great visibility, robust suite of driver-assistance aids, capacious trunk and generally easy-to-like nature.

We also loved how solid the TLX felt after a full year of abuse. The interior looked as good and felt as solid as it did on the day this car arrived, though we still agree the dashboard design is a bit of a mess.

"The dash layout is overcomplicated and could do with some real simplification in terms of where the buttons live," writes News and Features Editor Kyle Hyatt. "That big aluminum drive mode selector is dumb. It's an unnecessary focal point that most people probably won't use that often."

We also didn't love our observed fuel economy, though we did hit the EPA's marks. We saw 24.1 mpg after a year of testing, and the EPA says the TLX 2.0T AWD should return 24 mpg combined. Problem is, competing sedans do way, way better here. A BMW 330i xDrive is estimated to return 28 mpg combined and we regularly saw over 30 mpg while testing our long-term 2019 330i. The EPA also says the TLX should get 29 mpg highway, but we never saw anything close to that figure.

The worst issue, though? The tech. Acura's True Touchpad Interface multimedia system seemed like the type of thing we'd get used to after a year, but we just couldn't. That was made especially worse near the end of the year-long test, where the system was often slow to boot up and respond to initial commands, and would occasionally refuse to connect to Apple CarPlay. But the worst part was how the absolute positioning of the touchpad only worked while running Acura's native interface. Once we plugged in Apple CarPlay or Android Auto -- systems that work best with touch capability -- it was all swipes all the time. So annoying.

Overall, looking back on our time with the standard TLX, we're generally impressed with Acura's latest sedan effort. Easy to use, pleasant to drive and pretty to behold, the TLX is every bit as competent in the compact luxury space as segment stalwarts like the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C300. It might not have the same edge on driver engagement, but it's not like any of those three Germans are beacons of sportiness these days.

Besides, that's what the Type S is for.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:15 PM
Instructor

All the heartburn over the true touch pad. I was immediately comfortable with it. Never liked the spin and push idrive style interfaces tbh. Macbook wheel....

Fuel econ is a function of this awd system. Its so good but sadly its days are probably numbered unless they figure out a workaround. Bmws workaround is simply having a longitudinal motor and rwd native layout.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:35 PM
Drifting

As does disengaged driving. When youre checked out bc youre driving a bus.
Don't know if you've ever been a parent of young kids but being "disengaged" is not an option.

In addition to telling your kids to pipe down for the 100th time, there's also thinking of pithy responses to "Are we there yet?" and "Why didn't we fly?"

Like any car, you need the occasional rest stop to stretch the legs, use the bathroom, get some coffee, etc. These things are needed no matter how "engaging" your car is.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:35 PM
Instructor

all things being equal, you'd still take the boring land yacht over the more engaging fun-to-drive crossover?

Last edited by FactoryMatt; 12-12-2021 at 02:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FactoryMatt:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-12-2021), ELIN (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 02:36 PM
Suzuka Master

For Factory Matt & Elin.

Some brands have touch screen, dash buttons, steering wheel buttons & the console wheel all operational & fully functional as the interface + voice. I don't think you should lose one to get the other. I know the chip shortage is shutting some of these down but thats a different issue not a systems limitation.

One thing I thought was a good item but have not tried yet, since 2011, is the radio buttons can be programed to act as controllers for whatever is op on the main screen. Any button can be set to load my home address if I have Nav up. Change to another main screen & the buttons change to interface with it.

99% of the time with the HUD active I use the wheel so I don't have to look down or reach across.

For Elin one interesting feature I found but have not used is called "Attention Assist" for those who do "go away"while driving. Expect it can be most useful on long interstate runs at night. You also set up 'break time" reminders so the car will nag you to take a rest break
ELIN (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 02:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
For Factory Matt & Elin.

Some brands have touch screen, dash buttons, steering wheel buttons & the console wheel all operational & fully functional as the interface + voice. I don't think you should lose one to get the other. I know the chip shortage is shutting some of these down but thats a different issue not a systems limitation.

One thing I thought was a good item but have not tried yet, since 2011, is the radio buttons can be programed to act as controllers for whatever is op on the main screen. Any button can be set to load my home address if I have Nav up. Change to another main screen & the buttons change to interface with it.

99% of the time with the HUD active I use the wheel so I don't have to look down or reach across.

For Elin one interesting feature I found but have not used is called "Attention Assist" for those who do "go away"while driving. Expect it can be most useful on long interstate runs at night. You also set up 'break time" reminders so the car will nag you to take a rest break
My next vehicle may have a HUD but I've always doubted its usefulness. I'm very well versed in Attention Assist since it's been in every MB vehicle I've driven since 2011.

I have my boring GL450 for family trips and the TLX is my daily driver. Isn't this one of the reasons sedans still exist? An SUV/minvan can never fully replace the engagement of a sedan.
billxlisa (12-15-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 02:53 PM
Drifting

all things being equal, you'd still take the boring land yacht over the more engaging fun-to-drive crossover?
I understand the lure of a crossover (like an RDX) but a larger family is better off with the comfort of a full-size SUV/minivan. You could literally bring so many things in the back of these vehicles but you would struggle with the sexy crossover due to the sloped rear roofline that limits max trunk space.

As I said in my other post, I get my kicks in the daily driver sedan but I certainly understand not every family can have more than one car.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:10 PM
Instructor

yeah, same goes for sports cars. sedans can never replace the sports car experience. theres a sliding scale where utility and fun are roughly inversely correlated, but that doesn't mean you have to pick the most boring suv out there. RDX for example does a great job balancing storage space, leg room, and fun factor.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:15 PM
Drifting

yeah, same goes for sports cars. sedans can never replace the sports car experience. theres a sliding scale where utility and fun are roughly inversely correlated, but that doesn't mean you have to pick the most boring suv out there. RDX for example does a great job balancing storage space, leg room, and fun factor.
In another thread, a guy with 3 young kids (2 car seats and one booster seat) was asking if an MDX would be big enough. He's got some food for thought but an RDX would not work for him.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:20 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
In another thread, a guy with 3 young kids (2 car seats and one booster seat) was asking if an MDX would be big enough. He's got some food for thought but an RDX would not work for him.
At some point a fellow needs to resign himself to the reality that he's procreated his way into a van.
The following 5 users liked this post by Honda430:
ELIN (12-12-2021), frainc (12-12-2021), Justy48 (12-12-2021), MarcoTLX (12-13-2021), Tesla1856 (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
NEW MEMBER ALERT I just picked up a 22 couple days ago. I got the y spoke wheels as I like those more and was wondering what winter tires I should go with. I cant go with all seasons as my wheel and tire protection won't cover those. So at least ill have protection 8-9 months out of the year. ill eventually buy another yet of wheels but not right now. Is anyone else going this route or is majority just getting all seasons?
Old 12-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

The whole engaging thing is way over played. If I take one of the cars out on an early morning back roads run I want engaging. Track Day. AutoX or drag strip should be engaging. That said if anyone will tell me a 3 hour run to the beach is engaging I would say its more 3 hours of boredom with an occasional ah shit. A few hours with the car at 85MPH on cruise control requires constant attention, but is it engaging NAH.

I usually take the Z4 not for engagement but because its agile, excellent brakes, good mileage, accelerates quickly at speed, is comfortable & works well in the ah shit moments. If I was a total masochist & willing to tempt my wife into killing me I would take the COBRA. You can't get anymore engaging than a car which has been described as "you have to remind yourself that you are driving a hand made race car on the street. There is no compromise for anything other than pure speed. These cars are brutal and unforgiving, with all the refinement of a medieval battle ax." Then the description really goes down hill.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
FactoryMatt (12-12-2021), MarcoTLX (12-13-2021), vhtran (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
At some point a fellow needs to resign himself to the reality that he's procreated his way into a van.

BEAR-AvHistory (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 09:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by TypeS22
NEW MEMBER ALERT I just picked up a 22 couple days ago. I got the y spoke wheels as I like those more and was wondering what winter tires I should go with. I cant go with all seasons as my wheel and tire protection won't cover those. So at least ill have protection 8-9 months out of the year. ill eventually buy another yet of wheels but not right now. Is anyone else going this route or is majority just getting all seasons?

Congrats!!
Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
This whole needing a van or Giant SUV thing is a new phenomenon or something. What is all this "Stuff" that people need to lug around? We drove across country in an 1985 Accord with 4 of us.
MarcoTLX (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Kense
This whole needing a van or Giant SUV thing is a new phenomenon or something. What is all this "Stuff" that people need to lug around? We drove across country in an 1985 Accord with 4 of us.
We did likewise in a 1989 Eagle Summit.....will never do that sh-t again.
Old 12-13-2021, 01:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Since you had 1st place up, I'll bet there's some Honda users whose recent review of their product is probably 5 stars.
Max and Red Bull with their RB16B and the Honda V6 single turbo/hybrid RA621H engine which won the 2021 F1 WDC.
Designed and developed by Honda engineers, and not some bought racing subsidiary like MB. The highest level of motorsports, hats off to Honda also beating Ferrari and Renault motors as well.
Slightly off-topic but still it's a Honda V6 single turbo

Last edited by Legend2TL; 12-13-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:54 PM
Family Hauler

Received 161 Likes on 76 Posts
That last race over the weekend was like a page taken from a story book; crazy how things turned out and Red Bull was able to beat Mercedes on the last lap of the race! Too bad Red Bull and Honda are parting ways after this season.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by caLiTLX
That last race over the weekend was like a page taken from a story book; crazy how things turned out and Red Bull was able to beat Mercedes on the last lap of the race! Too bad Red Bull and Honda are parting ways after this season.
Not to digress much further but, while Max (along with FIA) did enough to overcome Lewis, RBR didnt do quite enough to beat Mercedes seeing as they are the constructors champion AGAIN. That said, this is all being discussed in Formula One: 2021 Season News and Discussion thread.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:27 PM
AZ Community Team

^ agree, knew the Honda F1 was off-topic but here's Alpha-Tauri F1 driver Yuki Tsunoda and his brief review of the TLX Type-S which was his guest car while he was in Austin for the race.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator...s-a-sweaty-ass

Having just stunned every proud BBQ-loving Texan, Tsunoda then shared what he likes most about the new TLX Type S he's been driving around Austin.

"I've just driven in the city so I haven't maximized the car's performance, but the first impression is [it looks] really nice," he said. "The exhaust and the wheels look really nice. The steering is direct and has good feeling."

"Oh, one more thing, [I'm used to having] seat heating but this [car] has cooled seats," Tsunoda added. "Especially in the summer I always have a sweaty ass, so it's really nice to have that kind of cooling system. It feels nice."

It’s all about the little things, right, folks? After all, who likes driving with a sweaty ass? No one.

Acura is making a return to F1 this weekend with special branding on both the Red Bull and AlphaTauri's rear wings, as well as the suits and helmets of drivers Max Verstappen, Sergio Perez, Pierre Gasly, and Tsunoda. With the championship still very much so alive between Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, this weekend should bring us another exciting race as we draw closer to the end of this eventful 2021 season.
TMI, just TMI
F23A4 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 05:06 PM
Adept Acura Enthusiast

Received 339 Likes on 228 Posts
We did likewise in a 1989 Eagle Summit.....will never do that sh-t again.
i concur when me and my brother was younger my mom used to make road trips twice a year down south in a 2 door Honda Accord before she switched into a 3rd gen Acura TL. I don’t see the need for having a SUV if it’s just you or just you and the spouse lol
F23A4 (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Honda430 View Post
Fortunately I missed the van era & only have to suffer 3 consecutive station wagons. 3 kids 3 years apart.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

I'll confess that both my wife and I are now in our 50s and not as lithe as we were when we had our first two during our early 20s. Taking a subcompact on a prolonged road these days would constitute cruel if not unusual punishment as far as we're concerned. Even with our 22 MDX - which we took to Page, Arizona and back (Jersey) - I found myself feeling a tinge of envy each time I laid eyes on a Tahoe or Suburban; Lord knows my 14 y/o daughter and 11 y/o son probably need a row each just to manage their 'border skirmishes'.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Your sense of entitlement is lacking.

Report to the '20's at once (2020's that is)!
Old 12-14-2021, 01:30 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
While I love my '07 Type-S 6MT and the '88 Jaguar XJ-S Convertible that proceeded it, we have had a Suburban since we got our first one back in 1989. The requirements were simple:

Four Doors and 4WD
Pull a 7,000 lb horse trailer out of a muddy grass field.
Safely pull the trailer when 3,000 lbs of the GW have minds of their own and get swaying back and forth.
Take mom & dad, four girls and their coach to the horse show with plenty of room behind three rows of seats for tack trunks and suitcases.

Bonus features:
Load the back with 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall and a bunch of dimensional lumber, depending on project, and be able to close the door.
Go to the hardwood dealer and buy all the wood to make a double bed, chest of drawers, dresser and two end tables for my daughter.
Buy a 9 foot Christmas tree, put it in the back, and then close the doors.
Take a week long golf vacation with five friends, all their suitcases and golf clubs.

When we got our first one my wife was strongly opposed to having to drive a "school bus". Now, she can't imagine not having one. It's never been a daily driver for either of us, but it gets used a lot.

BEAR-AvHistory (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 01:32 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
While I love my '07 Type-S 6MT and the '88 Jaguar XJ-S Convertible that proceeded it, we have had a Suburban since we got our first one back in 1989. The requirements were simple:

Four Doors and 4WD
Pull a 7,000 lb horse trailer out of a muddy grass field.
Safely pull the trailer when 3,000 lbs of the GW have minds of their own and get swaying back and forth.
Take mom & dad, four girls and their coach to the horse show with plenty of room behind three rows of seats for tack trunks and suitcases.

Bonus features:
Load the back with 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall and a bunch of dimensional lumber, depending on project, and be able to close the door.
Go to the hardwood dealer and buy all the wood to make a double bed, chest of drawers, dresser and two end tables for my daughter.
Buy a 9 foot Christmas tree, put it in the back, and then close the doors.
Take a week long golf vacation with five friends, all their suitcases and golf clubs.

When we got our first one my wife was strongly opposed to having to drive a "school bus". Now, she can't imagine not having one. It's never been a daily driver for either of us, but it gets used a lot.

BEAR-AvHistory (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I can understand the occasional need for the SUV, but I feel most people hardly use them like you do. I often see one Tiny woman driving a giant SUV around as a daily driver with no passengers. The ones I've spoken with say they have it because they feel safe or want to ride up high, not so much that they need it.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:05 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
I can understand the occasional need for the SUV, but I feel most people hardly use them like you do. I often see one Tiny woman driving a giant SUV around as a daily driver with no passengers. The ones I've spoken with say they have it because they feel safe or want to ride up high, not so much that they need it.
My wife had been involved in 2 accidents. In both cases, my wife's car was broadsided by another car that ran a red light in an intersection.

First time, my wife was driving an E320 and was hit on the passenger side. The second time, my wife was driving an A6 and was hit square on the driver's side. The A6 was totaled. It was really lucky that my wife could still walk out of the badly damaged A6 alive, given that the offending vehicle was a car. If the offending vehicle was a tall truck, it would have crashed straight into her head and her side.

She is so psychologically traumatized now that she only feel safe driving a SUV which is taller and bigger (than most vehicles on the roads).

ELIN (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
Did anyone replace the Type S emblems to the dark chrome? I ordered them and per instructions u have to take off the front bumper just to replace the type s badge on the grill. That is ridiculous
Old 12-15-2021, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
My wife had been involved in 2 accidents. In both cases, my wife's car was broadsided by another car that ran a red light in an intersection.

First time, my wife was driving an E320 and was hit on the passenger side. The second time, my wife was driving an A6 and was hit square on the driver's side. The A6 was totaled. It was really lucky that my wife could still walk out of the badly damaged A6 alive, given that the offending vehicle was a car. If the offending vehicle was a tall truck, it would have crashed straight into her head and her side.

She is so psychologically traumatized now that she only feel safe driving a SUV which is taller and bigger (than most vehicles on the roads).
Yup all about feeling safer. Makes sense.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
and not some bought racing subsidiary like MB.
shots fired lol
Old 12-17-2021, 10:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
For those interested the MDX Type-S prices have been announced and Acura needs to come back down to earth a bit if they want to stay relevant. At least in this case you can get an Advance version but pushing $75K is...wow:

2022 Acura MDX Type S Price Starts At $67,745, Tops $73K Fully Loaded

It's a hefty jump over the base model.

https://www.motor1.com/news/555159/2022-acura-mdx-types-price/
leomio2.0 (12-19-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 10:35 AM
Instructor

$19K is a massive jump bottom to top. needs 400+ HP at $70K+
ESHBG (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 10:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
In Canada it's even more expensive. $100K all taxes in. Insane!
ESHBG (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 12:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
In Canada it's even more expensive. $100K all taxes in. Insane!
Hey Tony,

What does the top end all in 420bhp Suburban cost in Canada? USA MSRP was about $85,000 IIRC
Old 12-17-2021, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Geeze, for someone who's looking to buy a $75K (and probably more like $80K after ADM) hotted up MDX, they can probably afford the extra $10K or so to put them into the car they really want: the 500hp SQ7.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-17-2021), ESHBG (12-17-2021), Tesla1856 (12-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion