Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL

As for the Jalopnik review, the summary says it best.

Acura basically built this car for people like me. I want a car which will carry people, dogs, and occasionally things in a rapid and engaging fashion. Sport sedans are totally my jam. I can’t abide fast SUVs, and I am kind of too old to drive a two-door and expect my friends and family to squeeze into the back seat. This is the sports car for people who grew up and got stable jobs. It’ll totally baby, is what I’m saying.
Agree it does sort of make a point about the Jalopnik review. When your favorite comes up short in interior dimensions, pun intended, move the goal posts from a 4 door 5 passenger car that the review was about to a 2 door 4 passenger car that the review is not about to get better interior measurements. Would think squeezing into the back seat is the last set of words I would think Acura wants anywhere near a TLX review.

FWIW TLX-S Rear leg room 34.9, 2door Coupe Rear leg room 34.7 advantage TLX by 0.02 of an inch. To be fair the TLX has more rear seat room than most Convertibles as the folding top & mechanicals eat into the space.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-02-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:26 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Agree it does sort of make a point about the Jalopnik review. When your favorite comes up short in interior dimensions, pun intended, move the goal posts from a 4 door 5 passenger car that the review was about to a 2 door 4 passenger car that the review is not about to get better interior measurements. Would think squeezing into the back seat is the last set of words I would think Acura wants anywhere near a TLX review.

FWIW TLX-S Rear leg room 34.9, 2door Coupe Rear leg room 34.7 advantage TLX by 0.02 of an inch. To be fair the TLX has more rear seat room than most Convertibles as the folding top & mechanicals eat into the space.
Bear, you're funny. Trying to gaslight us into believing ingress and egress into the back seat of a coupe is an easy undertaking is almost an insult to our collective intelligence. I've owned and ridden in a few coupes. No matter how much room was back there getting folks in and out was definitely a squeeze. I have no doubt that most of us knew exactly what the reviewer was conveying.

Last edited by Honda430; 01-02-2022 at 01:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WTF.Acura (01-03-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
1a. Unfortunately, this whole segment of the market kind of falls flat for me right now.

1b. Everything got too big, too bloated, too heavy,

1c. and too technologically advanced.

2. Acura’s most recent Type-S machine, the TL, weighed some 500 pounds less than this.
2. Irrelevant. Totally different car, different time, different standards.

1a. Then he should just say " The TLX-V6 Type-S kind-of falls flat for me right now".

1b. Well, not everything (or anywhere near it). Audi S4 and S5-SB are both smaller than a 2004 Accord-V6. I would be surprised if BMW and MB didn't also have a least one-or-two qualifying sedans as well.

1c. What does that even mean? Should Acura remove the extra-frame-bracing, Safety tech or the convenience tech? Or, is he trying to say that by Acura omitting things like Fully Digital Dash Cockpit, HUD, and Surround-View-Cameras ... is a step in the right direction?
Old 01-02-2022, 03:44 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
2. Irrelevant. Totally different car, different time, different standards.

1a. Then he should just say " The TLX-V6 Type-S kind-of falls flat for me right now".

1b. Well, not everything (or anywhere near it). Audi S4 and S5-SB are both smaller than a 2004 Accord-V6. I would be surprised if BMW and MB didn't also have a least one-or-two qualifying sedans as well.

1c. What does that even mean? Should Acura remove the extra-frame-bracing, Safety tech or the convenience tech? Or, is he trying to say that by Acura omitting things like Fully Digital Dash Cockpit, HUD, and Surround-View-Cameras ... is a step in the right direction?
A whole bunch of you here are funny. For the life of me I really can't understand why ya'll want to highlight so many quibbles about this vehicle. Always looking to critque the vehicle for no valid reason I can discern and in the most petty fashion. There's really no need for all this defensive chatter. I'm doubtfull that many people are thinking less of your precious Audis and BMWs simply because the Type S exists. Chill guys you're money is still good.
MarcoTLX (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Honda430
I really can't understand why ya'll want to highlight so many quibbles about this vehicle.
My post was really about that lame review.

The car is fine I guess. I've moved on, but we have bought a bunch of Hondas and Acuras over the years.
We might buy another MDX/RDX in a few years (if that's OK ).
Old 01-02-2022, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Bear, you're funny. Trying to gaslight us into believing ingress and egress into the back seat of a coupe is an easy undertaking is almost an insult to our collective intelligence. I've owned and ridden in a few coupes. No matter how much room was back there getting folks in and out was definitely a squeeze. I have no doubt that most of us knew exactly what the reviewer was conveying.
Someone would have to be extremally stupid to think I was suggesting that rear set entry is the same for a coupe, convertible & 4 door sedan. While access is not as easy in this case once a fatty struggles in he will have the same room as he would in the reviewed 4 door. At my tender age I still have no issues at getting in back of any of mine. Only the COBRA is a challenge to avoid burning your calf.

Understand that the author is a bit of a fatty, maybe his whole family is & might have more difficulty than most getting people into the rear of a coupe or convertible. That said the coupes & convertibles that I have experienced have comfort features. Front seats go back when the door is opened & move to their setting when closes. To access the rear seat you move the front seatback forward & the seat moves up to it full forward position & back when its returned. Less expensive models have a rocker switch near top of the seat back which will motor the seat forward & back. Is it as convent as a 4 door no, did it have any relevance in a review of two 4 door sedans one of which has more room, no. Why was it there if not to take your eye off the ball of a two 4 door comparison?

Its interesting the way he closes this this long detailed review that was posted in this thread I guess to show us haters (realists) what, what.

If you buy one, get it in gold. It’s such a good color, and it shifts so beautifully in changing light situations. From now until the day I die, every time I see one of these on the road, I’ll get a little bit excited. Just not excited enough to buy one.

If I was a major fan & someone posted those word my forst thought would be WTF.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

A whole bunch of you here are funny. For the life of me I really can't understand why ya'll want to highlight so many quibbles about this vehicle. Always looking to critque the vehicle for no valid reason I can discern and in the most petty fashion. There's really no need for all this defensive chatter. I'm doubtfull that many people are thinking less of your precious Audis and BMWs simply because the Type S exists. Chill guys you're money is still good.
Like HONDA/Acura marketing there are way to many "reviewers" who can't understand they are setting the car up for ridicule by performance oriented drivers. There is no way to turn what is a very nice competent daily driver family car into a competitive sports sedan just by saying its fast, has great brakes & is super handling. Unfortunately what it shows in head to head performance tests does not support any of the claims. The TLX-S top of the sedan line with the most powerful Acura 3 liter engine ever. What is the phrase supposed to imply? Regality is not is not all that much power in 3L land + it has very poor gas mileage when compared to other 3L's with more power.

This has nothing to do with other brands unless Acura advertises against them. Then its open season, you want to directly compare against a brand expect pushback. The German brands can't be bothered with style of marketing, they do their marketing programs about themselves, so some users tend to speak out with the BS gets too deep.

Expect there would be no issues if Acura just told it own story & stopped dragging everybody else in with their little charts like they were all equal direct competitors. Different car lines, different capabilities, different pricing structure. They want to show equality with an M340 at what an M340 does & say there cheaper while doing it have at it. They have the cheaper part but are way behind on the at what it does part..

When TH tested the "S" their conclusion was buy a 330 instead. Maybe they were pissed because they did not get a free 5 star trip to Laguna Seca like Jalopnik & most of the other reviewers did.
ESHBG (01-03-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
You should actually quote the combined leg room stats. Why? Because larger front leg room also benefits the rear occupant, as the driver would not need to move his/her seat as far back.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Like HONDA/Acura marketing there are way to many "reviewers" who can't understand they are setting the car up for ridicule by me. There is no way to turn what is a very nice competent daily driver family car into a competitive sports sedan just by saying its fast, has great brakes & is super handling. Unfortunately what it shows in head to head performance tests does not support any of the claims. The TLX-S top of the sedan line with the most powerful Acura 3 liter engine ever. What is the phrase supposed to imply? Regality is not is not all that much power in 3L land + it has very poor gas mileage when compared to other 3L's with more power.

This has nothing to do with other brands unless Acura advertises against them. Then its open season, you want to directly compare against a brand expect pushback. The German brands can't be bothered with style of marketing, they do their marketing programs about themselves, so some users tend to speak out with the BS gets too deep.

Expect there would be no issues if Acura just told it own story & stopped dragging everybody else in with their little charts like they were all equal direct competitors. Different car lines, different capabilities, different pricing structure. They want to show equality with an M340 at what an M340 does & say there cheaper while doing it have at it. They have the cheaper part but are way behind on the at what it does part..

When TH tested the "S" their conclusion was buy a 330 instead. Maybe they were pissed because they did not get a free 5 star trip to Laguna Seca like Jalopnik & most of the other reviewers did.
FIFY

You don't get it and perhaps you never will, cause you fail to realize that many choose and drive cars for a variety of reasons other than what you think is important and valued.

The best recent example that summed it up was the AutoBlog comparison last sentence between the M340i and the Type-S

No, what will matter most is getting the best performance and the best daily driver for your dollar. Acura gives you a pretty well decked out car for the Type S’ starting price of $53,845. Add the performance wheels and tires that our test car had, and you're still left at a reasonable $54,645. In typical BMW fashion, the M340i requires you to open up the checkbook for options, and our test car rang in at $71,570. Nearly all of the extras, minus the $4,500 purple paint, are necessary if you want to walk out the door with a car matching the TLX Type S’ standard feature set.

Having to choose between these two options is a genuinely good problem to have, as you can’t go wrong either way. Engine junkies should gather by the BMW, but maximum value-seekers should migrate Acura’s way. If forced to choose only one, the TLX Type S would find a place in our garage. It out-styles the M340i by a longshot, and it’s the more engaging car to drive. BMW would win in a pure numbers comparison, but the TLX Type S steps in as the superior sport sedan when you toss aside the numbers and simply drive.
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2021/12...mparison-test/

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-02-2022 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bilirubin
You should actually quote the combined leg room stats. Why? Because larger front leg room also benefits the rear occupant, as the driver would not need to move his/her seat as far back.
There not my numbers, the auto industry set the framework, the manufacturers provided the numbers & I just copied what they said. I have no knowledge of why they do it like they do. What I do know is rear set room is variable based on where the driver sits. Since you are not happy with the way its done do you know why they do it that way or try to look it up?

Using your combined example to get a better back seat measurement. Do they measure with the front seat fully forward? With the front seat fully back? Just split the difference? Guess a random number?
Old 01-03-2022, 12:09 AM
Suzuka Master

FIFY
You don't get it and perhaps you never will, cause you fail to realize that many choose and drive cars for a variety of reasons other than what you think is important and valued.
The best recent example that summed it up was the AutoBlog comparison last sentence between the M340i and the Type-S https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2021/12...mparison-test/
I love this thing you use all the time

Blog Heading

"Acura TLX Type S vs. BMW M340i xDrive | Sport sedan comparison test"

We did the autoblog thing already so here the short form. He mentioned every TLX shortcoming as a Sports Sedan compared to the M340 starting with the engine & covered all the usual suspects.

Look at the C&D summery of performance items for each & about 100% go to the M340 including Fuel Economy. The fact the TLS is behind the M340 on every objective Sports Sedan oriented measurement but is cheaper makes the TLX-S a better sports sedan.

BTW you don't need to spend the $71,570 he wants to use for validation $59,000/$60,000 will put a very nice M340 on the road. Think someone buying a $71,570 M340 for a performance car should be seriously looking at a M3 base 473BHP 6MT sedan starting at $69,900. FWIW I never in 3 Coupes 335is, 340, 440 had an MSRP over $63,000 with the high performance add-on track packs on each one.

BTW I love this piece you wrote "also slider hammering out sealed bearings and reinstalling them doesn't seem right" What vid were you watching?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-03-2022 at 12:17 AM.
Kense (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 07:35 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Blog Heading

We did the autoblog thing already so here the short form. He mentioned every TLX shortcoming as a Sports Sedan compared to the M340 starting with the engine & covered all the usual suspects.

Look at the C&D summery of performance items for each & about 100% go to the M340 including Fuel Economy. The fact the TLS is behind the M340 on every objective Sports Sedan oriented measurement but is cheaper makes the TLX-S a better sports sedan.

BTW you don't need to spend the $71,570 he wants to use for validation $59,000/$60,000 will put a very nice M340 on the road. Think someone buying a $71,570 M340 for a performance car should be seriously looking at a M3 base 473BHP 6MT sedan starting at $69,900. FWIW I never in 3 Coupes 335is, 340, 440 had an MSRP over $63,000 with the high performance add-on track packs on each one.

BTW I love this piece you wrote "also slider hammering out sealed bearings and reinstalling them doesn't seem right" What vid were you watching?

Which performance items do you think Porsche Panamera S/GTS will be better than BMW M550xi/M5 even when costing so much more? But still most or all reviewers say porsches are better drivers' cars. Same is true for Cayenne vs X5.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Blog Heading

We love your playing with numbers, deflection and hating

Anyway here again is what you didn't read or refuse to acknowledge from the AutoBlog comparison.

If forced to choose only one, the TLX Type S would find a place in our garage. It out-styles the M340i by a longshot, and it’s the more engaging car to drive. BMW would win in a pure numbers comparison, but the TLX Type S steps in as the superior sport sedan when you toss aside the numbers and simply drive.
I'm guessing vast majority of people don't drive numbers but actually drive their cars, there's alot more beyond numbers for driving and experiencing a car which was the point.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-03-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts

If forced to choose only one, the TLX Type S would find a place in our garage. It out-styles the M340i by a longshot, and it’s the more engaging car to drive. BMW would win in a pure numbers comparison, but the TLX Type S steps in as the superior sport sedan when you toss aside the numbers and simply drive.

I'm guessing vast majority of people don't drive numbers but actually drive their cars, there's alot more beyond numbers for driving and experiencing a car which was the point.
Honestly and prior to driving the Type S and having driven the M340i xdrive a few times, I would have found the comparative "engaging to drive" comment outlandish. But, Acura did a great job in dialing in the chassis for Type S and the non-Type S is no slouch either. Unless driving 10/10 on the twisties, only the most discriminating will mind that it's an MDX weighted front drive biased sedan.
BEAR-AvHistory (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alpha0
Which performance items do you think Porsche Panamera S/GTS will be better than BMW M550xi/M5 even when costing so much more? But still most or all reviewers say porsches are better drivers' cars. Same is true for Cayenne vs X5.
Can't comment know the M5 and would buy one if I wanted a 4 door car but am not at all familiar with the GTS. Will have to take a look. Expect it may be close one way or another be interesting to see the results.

Cayenne - Generally the things that make a Porsche a Porsche. Have more experience with passed Porsches 911C4S & 718 Boxster S. Have no doubt the Cayenne drives better under normal conditions. Have driven my daughters many times picking my grandson up from school. Porsche has a car seat my cars don't. Only drove the X5 once at the BMW track in SC. They have a off road run for the X series. In that environment I would want to be in the X5 as I don't think the Cayenne has any real off road capability other than dirt roads.

Picture from the X5 I was driving. One of the items on the run was balancing the X5 on three wheels while stopping at the top of the hill.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-03-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

The numbers this guy was driving was the price spread. No problem with the car as a nice competent family car, should sell better than it does. As a sports sedan the lack of performance numbers say its not or at best sports sedan light. "Sporty?" They keep the sports sedan marketing going but why be at the bottom of the sports sedan list or not make the list when sports sedans are actually tested against each other. They would be near the top of the normal sedan list. So the car is sporty so is a Camry with a wing.

You chose Auto Blog as your point of reference so here is what Auto Blog has to say about Sports Sedans

Top 10 Sports Sedans 2021 2022

Alfa Romeo Giulia
BMW 3 Series and M3
Cadillac CT4
Dodge Charger
Genesis G70
Honda Civic Si
Kia Stinger
Porsche Panamera
Porsche Taycan
Subaru WRX

Old 01-03-2022, 11:38 AM
AZ Community Team

The numbers this guy was driving was the price spread. No problem with the car as a nice competent family car, should sell better than it does. As a sports sedan the lack of performance numbers say its not or at best sports sedan light. "Sporty?" They keep the sports sedan marketing going but why be at the bottom of the sports sedan list or not make the list when sports sedans are actually tested against each other. They would be near the top of the normal sedan list. So the car is sporty so is a Camry with a wing.

You chose Auto Blog as your point of reference so here is what Auto Blog has to say about Sports Sedans
Well your statement makes no sense since his last sentence says numbers are tossed out he still prefers the Type-S no matter the numbers, and the Type-S was less expensive than the M340i comparably equipped.
He clearly does not indicate the numbers in his comparison. but I'm guessing he was referring to a variety of numbers being specifications and performance parameters.

Driving is alot more than just numbers at times, there's balance, dynamics, control, feedback, communication and a variety of other emotional aspects that are not measurable

BMW would win in a pure numbers comparison, but the TLX Type S steps in as the superior sport sedan when you toss aside the numbers and simply drive.
Your reference about AutoBlog, the comparison article was written by Zac Palmer and top ten article written by Joel Stockdale, so two different authors whom I assume have different viewpoints.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-03-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
Bear, when you test drove the type S did you go out and really give it a run? Obviously you like nice driving fast cars, and i just have a hard time believeing that you hate the car as much as you constantly post about after taking it on one of the back roads that im sure you take your BMW’s on all the time. Having a bmw be your choice is perfectly acceptable but to shit on someone else’s choice ( be it a car reviewer, or anyone else on a forum dedicated to the car we are speaking of) constantly month after month after month must getting boring at some point doesnt it? Wouldnt it be more fun to talk to other bimmer owners about how much better you think the car is?
frainc (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 12:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sombasol
Bear, when you test drove the type S did you go out and really give it a run? Obviously you like nice driving fast cars, and i just have a hard time believeing that you hate the car as much as you constantly post about after taking it on one of the back roads that im sure you take your BMW’s on all the time. Having a bmw be your choice is perfectly acceptable but to shit on someone else’s choice ( be it a car reviewer, or anyone else on a forum dedicated to the car we are speaking of) constantly month after month after month must getting boring at some point doesnt it? Wouldnt it be more fun to talk to other bimmer owners about how much better you think the car is?
I think Bear sees the Type S as a mediocre vehicle and he’s enraged at the amount of publicity it garners. All well and good, but to bludgeon us day in and day out with his opinion on a forum dedicated to the vehicle is simply bad manners. He either doesn’t understand this or he doesn’t care. Perhaps the moderators need to shut him down until he demonstrates a bit of decorum.
WTF.Acura (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
I think Bear sees the Type S as a mediocre vehicle and he’s enraged at the amount of publicity it garners. All well and good, but to bludgeon us day in and day out with his opinion on a forum dedicated to the vehicle is simply bad manners. He either doesn’t understand this or he doesn’t care. Perhaps the moderators need to shut him down until he demonstrates a bit of decorum.
Bear is a BMW fanboy. He likes the leave it to beaver look.
MarcoTLX (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Well your statement makes no sense since his last sentence says numbers are tossed out he still prefers the Type-S no matter the numbers, and the Type-S was less expensive than the M340i comparably equipped.
He clearly does not indicate the numbers in his comparison. but I'm guessing he was referring to a variety of numbers being specifications and performance parameters.

Driving is alot more than just numbers at times, there's balance, dynamics, control, feedback, communication and a variety of other emotional aspects that are not measurable
Acura is the one that does the comparisons to the other premium "sports sedan" rivals. We didn't start it. Additionally, if the comparisons are inaccurate, I applaud anyone who takes the time to point it out. There has to be a place where that is allowed.

So, we will all "throw out the numbers". Then, I've been told I'm being petty for comparing equipment and tech (ie, features) . So, let's put them aside as well.

So, what exactly is left? Cost? First of all, the final cost is not everyone's primary concern. The reason it is not for me is because these cars are already very expensive. If you are going to buy/lease and keep it a while (let's says 3 years) ... that's a lot of money. Why would you want to make all those payments on something you don't 100% like (and be stuck with it for 3 years)?

Finally, we are just "talking cars". We are not questioning your choice, or berating your car (if you happen to own one).

Last edited by Tesla1856; 01-03-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Just curious but what publicity are you seeing? Hardly anybody is talking about the car car outside this forum and the previous talk is not exactly positive. It's disappointment and negativity. Look at the comments under any Type S video or article. As for other forums, other than the initial release, nobody is even thinking about the Type S. However Competition always talks about one another, the Type S is always left out of discussion.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TypeS22
Bear is a BMW fanboy.
And you are an Acura fanboy.

Yet, somehow ... we all have something in common (we like talking about nice cars).
Old 01-03-2022, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
And you are an Acura fanboy.

Yet, somehow ... we all have something in common (we like talking about nice cars).

Amen but I don’t go on bmw forums and piss in their cereal bowls now do I?
The following 7 users liked this post by TypeS22:
bilirubin (01-03-2022), Edward'TLS (01-03-2022), frainc (01-03-2022), Legend2TL (01-03-2022), MarcoTLX (01-04-2022), Nexx (01-03-2022), WTF.Acura (01-03-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Kense
Just curious but what publicity are you seeing? Hardly anybody is talking about the car car outside this forum and the previous talk is not exactly positive. It's disappointment and negativity. Look at the comments under any Type S video or article. As for other forums, other than the initial release, nobody is even thinking about the Type S. However Competition always talks about one another, the Type S is always left out of discussion.
I don’t know. We seem to have a new review every week praising the Type S and contrary to your observation I’ve not seen a negative review of the car in the last few months. If you have one please provide the link. As to the comment sections, get out of here. Just a bunch of fan boys for other brands who have never driven the car expressing negative opinions based on specs. Remember when the IS500 was all the rage. Well now nobody gives a damn about the model. You’d think that the Type S would have also been parked in obscurity by now yet for some reason it is not and the hate just seems to grow.

Last edited by Honda430; 01-03-2022 at 01:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Honda430:
Legend2TL (01-03-2022), MarcoTLX (01-04-2022), WTF.Acura (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 01:33 PM
Pro

Do they measure with the front seat fully forward? With the front seat fully back? Just split the difference? Guess a random number?
That's exactly why combined leg room is the more pertinent metric.
The following 2 users liked this post by bilirubin:
Tesla1856 (01-03-2022), WTF.Acura (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TypeS22
Amen but I don’t go on bmw forums and piss in their cereal bowls now do I?
I don't know, do you ?

Maybe you have owned as many BMW's as I have Hondas and Acuras.

I read how you fell in love with your TLX Type-S and bought it. That sounds similar to how I found and bought my Audi A5 . That's all fine. We did good.

However, before I did that ... I had a deposit on a new TLX, and spent 2 afternoons test driving it, inspecting and operating all features (including all tech) and "line item" comparing it to other similar cars. I know quite a bit about the 2G TLX, and not all of that knowledge is from reviews and videos.

This forum (and the helpful users here) were a big help in making this hard decision for me. Thank goodness they posted their true thoughts (and were not afraid of offending someone that might own one already).
ESHBG (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sombasol
Hello, don't hate the car at all. Just find it interesting the difference of opinion about it. About 8 months ago on this forum it was all about how the new most powerful 3.0L DOHC Turbo was going to kick German butt & take names. M340 Nah we are going after the M3.

Then its reality hit, trying to squeeze a 10th out of the 0-60 that no longer matters, trying to get a few more MPH in the quarter over the 103mph that no longer matter, maybe get completive gas mileage with the really quick cars that it was going to kill no longer mattered.

Now is all about anything except the numbers. If its all about driving why mention the cost spread should be irrelevant? It was certainly irrelevant to his blog group when they picked the 10 best Sports Sedans of 2021/2022. His blog group lists cars from a number of different price ranges down to a Honda Civic.

The 10 best sports sedans on 2021 & 2022 list make no mention not even an honorable mention of the TLX or TLX-S.

So who is correct at what a sports sedan is, Joel Stocksdale who used the term WE in listing the blogs top 10 choices suggesting a group consensus? Or is it Zac Palmer who would forget the numbers & just drive?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-03-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

That's exactly why combined leg room is the more pertinent metric.
Don't see it as the track limits the range. If Acura chose to place the seat so it compromises the rear leg room why did they not just shorten the track by one inch or move it up by one inch. Rear seat would gain one inch & they would be out of the rear seat dog houde. There has to be more too it the simply measuring the floor
Old 01-03-2022, 02:31 PM
Pro

Don't see it as the track limits the range. If Acura chose to place the seat so it compromises the rear leg room why did they not just shorten the track by one inch or move it up by one inch. Rear seat would gain one inch & they would be out of the rear seat dog houde. There has to be more too it the simply measuring the floor
You're over thinking it.
Front and rear legroom are not independent of one another, hence the importance of looking at combined leg room.
It's that simple.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

What you see as bludgeoning I see as comebacks against things that have been posted that I don't agree with. Its not me starting these threads. If you don't want comebacks don't talk about other cars. Why should you get a free ride?

What I see the Type-S as

An excellent family car with good looking sporty design cues
A mediocre sports sedan that missed its promised target.

Yeah why should I care what level of publicity any car garners. I buy cars for me period not to impress the guy at the gas station. I push just as hard at the BMW forums about things I don't like & am sure some there get annoyed. I would like to see USA performance cars do well & make a comeback. Based on raw numbers have owned away more USA performance cars than European, Japanese or Korean.

One of the thing that keeps looping around is "forum dedicated to the vehicle". Agree is an Acura form but this thread is titled Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion. If the reviews are going to compare it against other cars why are you scared shit about someones opinion of those other cars. Potential buyer come to check things out & I understand you only desire to see sweetness & light in the threads but that is an unreal expectation. It is also grossly unfair to the shopper not to get the full story. Nothing stops you from making a challenge about my remarks & actually raise points about their validity. But until then whining about them to the mods is your best hope of getting me booted.

I think if you want a TLX TLX-S all the time everytime one should get a by invitation password locked one. With an open forum you will read things you dont like & people looking to nget offended will get offended.

BTW did you see my new cars mascot:

Old 01-03-2022, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

You're over thinking it.
Front and rear legroom are not independent of one another, hence the importance of looking at combined leg room.
It's that simple.
Yeah I am missing something:

OK try this I have a car with 100 of inches of floor room. My front seat tracks allow the back of my seat to stop 50 inches from the back seat. Back seat has 50 inches of room.

Same 100 inch floor plan but my front seat tracks have 60 inches of movement and stop 40 inches from the back seat. Back seat now has only 40 inches of room. Total measurement is the same in both 100 inches with two different results.

What I was saying is shown crudely above. So here are two real cars with different measurements show me how your way of total length would help the rear passengers. Maybe getting to old but can't visualize what you mean.

Front Leg Room (in) 42.4
Second Leg Room (in) 34.9

Front leg room 42.0
Rear leg room 35.2

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-03-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Back on topic anyone else hear that 2022 Production will be February then delivery begins mid March.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by All_PSI89
Back on topic anyone else hear that 2022 Production will be February then delivery begins mid March.
The banter was somewhat on topic, just a bit contentious once more.

Anyway, local dealer near me is showing a 22 PR Type S for sale. Not sure if it's actually on the lot, in transit, or even yet to be assembled for that matter.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by F23A4
The banter was somewhat on topic, just a bit contentious once more.

Anyway, local dealer near me is showing a 22 PR Type S for sale. Not sure if it's actually on the lot, in transit, or even yet to be assembled for that matter.
Three triangle dealers one 2021 S
Old 01-03-2022, 06:59 PM
Pro

What you see as bludgeoning I see as comebacks against things that have been posted that I don't agree with. Its not me starting these threads. If you don't want comebacks don't talk about other cars. Why should you get a free ride?

What I see the Type-S as

An excellent family car with good looking sporty design cues
A mediocre sports sedan that missed its promised target.

Yeah why should I care what level of publicity any car garners. I buy cars for me period not to impress the guy at the gas station. I push just as hard at the BMW forums about things I don't like & am sure some there get annoyed. I would like to see USA performance cars do well & make a comeback. Based on raw numbers have owned away more USA performance cars than European, Japanese or Korean.

One of the thing that keeps looping around is "forum dedicated to the vehicle". Agree is an Acura form but this thread is titled Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion. If the reviews are going to compare it against other cars why are you scared shit about someones opinion of those other cars. Potential buyer come to check things out & I understand you only desire to see sweetness & light in the threads but that is an unreal expectation. It is also grossly unfair to the shopper not to get the full story. Nothing stops you from making a challenge about my remarks & actually raise points about their validity. But until then whining about them to the mods is your best hope of getting me booted.

I think if you want a TLX TLX-S all the time everytime one should get a by invitation password locked one. With an open forum you will read things you dont like & people looking to nget offended will get offended.

BTW did you see my new cars mascot:
You’re a lovable old grouch, but a grouch none the less. 😂😂😂😂
Old 01-03-2022, 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

You’re a lovable old grouch, but a grouch none the less. 😂😂😂😂
Get off my lawn!!
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
F23A4 (01-04-2022), Tesla1856 (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 06:51 AM
Pro

Yeah I am missing something
agreed

OK try this I have a car with 100 of inches of floor room. My front seat tracks allow the back of my seat to stop 50 inches from the back seat. Back seat has 50 inches of room.
Same 100 inch floor plan but my front seat tracks have 60 inches of movement and stop 40 inches from the back seat. Back seat now has only 40 inches of room. Total measurement is the same in both 100 inches with two different results.
In most situations, a driver would typically set their seating position to the same amount of leg room up front - that's a constant, regardless if the front tracks allow 50 or 60 inches.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:56 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts
Some people have tremendous love for Acura, especially for TLX

I just don't get it...if you are not buying one and has no interest to get one, why so much love by spending days here proving you point! SMH!
Old 01-04-2022, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

agreed

In most situations, a driver would typically set their seating position to the same amount of leg room up front - that's a constant, regardless if the front tracks allow 50 or 60 inches.
Agree but keep in mind these numbers are used by the companies to compete against each other, remember the TLX vs 5 series adds. That normal for you position could be any place along the the track, for me in a different place along the track. So the back seat space will be impacted based on which one of us is driving. My setting is legs slightly bent to get maximum pressure on the brake & clutch as they straighten & wrists of the top of the wheel. That means in the same car one stick & one AT my standard seating position along the track is not the same.

We need to know how & why they do the official measurement that manufacturers use to compete against each other. Example using the numbers I posted for two real cars Company A measures with the seat 3/4 forward, company B with it half forward & the advertise the result. What does the customer see from that when all they get is the final number from the car companies. So there has to be some SAE standard.

That is why we need to know what the standard for measurement is. From that you would know without going to the car store if the car will suit your needs. If the standard is dead center on the track & you are short you will have more rear seat room, tall less room.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 01-04-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion