Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Generally agreed. I love the J35 motor but no longer feel it's the optimal choice for this MDX and I also feel that the J30AC should have been the standard motor for the 4G MDX. Unfortunately, the 'carryover' J35 makes the 4G feel noticeably underpowered. I dont love the sounds coming from the 2.0T in my TLX but I wonder if Honda should have tuned it for work in the base MDX.
Think the DOHC 355BHP should have been the base engine. Current pictures don't show a lot of growth potential but even without opening up the heads there has to be some margin left that could be exploited to push the engine into the 385BHP range & more importantly for a truck increase the torque..
Old 12-22-2021, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Being a fan of Eric the Car Guy, Honda also uses one-time/snap/plastic pieces too. If something needs to be changed, it's part of maintenance. As for space, it's part of the risk in getting a bigger more complex engine. Type-S included.
not like this they dont.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
i can tell you after working on a VAG car, for an enthusiast, they suck to work on/with. they prioritize ease and cost of assembly over ease of maintenance. never seen so many one-time-use and plastic snap fit parts in my life. they deliver tons of perceived value for normal buyers at the expense of actual component quality. never again.
As I’ve been shopping around for a used F30 for quite some time, I’ve been watching a number of different videos regarding maintenance upkeep and performance on that generation…getting a ton of ‘education’ from channels like FCP Euro. (Came extremely close to picking up a ‘13 335i xDrive.). Above was one of my takeaways. Kept thinking, “they made that out of plastic?” a few times.
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
FactoryMatt (12-22-2021), leomio2.0 (12-22-2021), MarcoTLX (12-23-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
As I’ve been shopping around for a used F30 for quite some time, I’ve been watching a number of different videos regarding maintenance upkeep and performance on that generation…getting a ton of ‘education’ from channels like FCP Euro. (Came extremely close to picking up a ‘13 335i xDrive.). Above was one of my takeaways. Kept thinking, “they made that out of plastic?” a few times.
Not only that, they're recycled plastics thatbecome so brittle after a bunch of heat cycles. BMW, ME/BE, VW/Audi ... it's the same story. I don't know why, but Japanese and American automakers don't have nearly the same issues in my experience with the plastics becoming so damn brittle in a relatively short amount of time.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Think USA plastics are ahead of everybody's. That said have had good luck with the Euro ones. Have a fake M Sport diffuser that has been on 3 F series cars in the garage & it still has all its connectors on it. Some of the guys have had the most trouble with the ones that hold the grill shells on which is a popular swap. Hard to get to without screwing up the surrounding paint & hard to release without breaking them when removing the part.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:18 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Here's a somewhat erratic and irrational comparison of TLX Type-S and M340i.
Old 12-27-2021, 10:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
I was gonna post that same article I read in the morning. I cross shopped the M340I too but ultimately settled on ordering a 22' Type-S.
The following users liked this post:
WTF.Acura (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 10:49 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
I just read the article and I’m at a loss to understand why you would characterize it as erratic and irrational. Perhaps you can explain why you reached your conclusion.
WTF.Acura (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:40 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
I just read the article and I’m at a loss to understand why you would characterize it as erratic and irrational. Perhaps you can explain why you reached your conclusion.
Agreed. Great review. Overall enjoyed both cars and described them to a T, and an honest great review explaining the perks of both, and which does what, better.

Good one.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/27/...mparison-test/
The following 3 users liked this post by beach109:
Legend2TL (12-29-2021), Tony Pac (12-27-2021), WTF.Acura (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by beach109
Agreed. Great review. Overall enjoyed both cars and described them to a T, and an honest great review explaining the perks of both, and which does what, better.

Good one.

Bear isnt going to be happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nexx:
bilirubin (12-27-2021), WTF.Acura (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Nexx
Prepare for a wrath filled post void of pronouns.
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
bilirubin (12-27-2021), WTF.Acura (12-30-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Nexx
Why would I not be happy? The guy likes the way the S feels & that its cheaper. It is cheaper & how it feels is subjective. If I were to buy a mid priced car, as a sports sedan, I would pick the M340, $61,250 MSRP without the purple paint, for the way it feels (subjective) & for what it does as fairly described in the report.

FWIW all the BMW I bought in the M440 class (coupes) never had a sedan were under $63,000 MSRP including the performance packages that raised power, brakes, tires, suspension & sound.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-27-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Honestly, in the absence of ADM (TLX Type S) and discounts (M340i), I'd probably opt for the Type S. However with those two factors very much being in play these days (as well as having experienced both), I think the M340i is a no brainer if the purchase price for each is in the $55k-$60k range.
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-27-2021), ESHBG (12-27-2021), pyrodan007 (12-31-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 03:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,598 Likes on 961 Posts

Good one.

Fake review! lol!

One thing this article makes it clear, in terms of pure number BMW (I will include Audi A4 or G70) may surpass the TYPE S. By now we all know that Acura isn't playing the number game here as biggest HP, fastest 0-60 and etc. But when it comes to the overall package, it's hard to beat the TYPE S!
MarcoTLX (12-28-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 03:47 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Prepare for a wrath filled post void of pronouns.
Why. He doesn't run AZ. Everyone has their thoughts, preferences, and likes/dislikes. Just because HE doesn't agree....so what!! He needs to go to
the MB site and bloviate there. Why troll the AZ site? We want different thoughts, points of view....but, there is no right or wrong....got it.....to whomever
this needs to be told to. Let's keep this decent here mr. moderator. It was ugly not long ago...it got cleaned up....let's keep it that way please. TY

IF this was just a joke...well, some newbies won't necessarily take it that way.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Tony Pac (12-27-2021), WTF.Acura (12-30-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 04:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Why. He doesn't run AZ. Everyone has their thoughts, preferences, and likes/dislikes. Just because HE doesn't agree....so what!! He needs to go to
the MB site and bloviate there. Why troll the AZ site? We want different thoughts, points of view....but, there is no right or wrong....got it.....to whomever
this needs to be told to. Let's keep this decent here mr. moderator. It was ugly not long ago...it got cleaned up....let's keep it that way please. TY

IF this was just a joke...well, some newbies won't necessarily take it that way.
I totally agree that we all have our views, likes and dislikes. It doesn't mean if someone says he likes G70 more than TYPE S. He or she is wrong. It's a lot less now but in the past it was just about how to bash Acura and especially the TYPE S.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Fake review! lol!

One thing this article makes it clear, in terms of pure number BMW (I will include Audi A4 or G70) may surpass the TYPE S. By now we all know that Acura isn't playing the number game here as biggest HP, fastest 0-60 and etc. But when it comes to the overall package, it's hard to beat the TYPE S!
Prior to release it was all about the numbers the Type S would regain its rightful place at the top of the mid prices sports sedans

Then Slow Sam let the air out of the balloon & it was no longer about numbers but the totality of he car. Like it or not you will find people who bought other makes think their cars are the total overall package or they would not have bought them.

As far as the totality of the type S less 0-60 I think I also read in the article

BMW arranges its cylinders inline Inline's are better then V's in 6 cylinder configuration. BMW never left, MB is returning, Jaguar Land Rover is returning & Toyota is entering inline's as their 6 cylinder.

Author says:
There are few sounds in the automotive universe that surpass the glee we feel when listening to a BMW inline-six at full-chat and that rule still applies to the M340i.

He is not big on the 10 speed vs the 8 speed for function or the sound:
The TLX’s noise would be even better if it weren’t always ping-ponging between such short gears. The M340i's eight-speed is therefore far more satisfying. It’s just a shame that the tiny, plastic paddles are so flimsy and lame, leaving us just as happy to leave it in auto.

It should be noted that the unimportant 0-60 run would be even longer without the short gears.

Author said this but I think I am missing something:
You sit lower down in the Acura than you do the BMW. The shape of the steering wheel and driving position is far more natural in the Acura, as the M340i’s wheel just sits a tad too high to be just right.
What I don't understand is the BMW wheel is adjustable for height & reach & both cars have power seats the raise & lower among other things. Maybe a comment here from a "S" driver. FWIW drove the TLX not the S so maybe its different here.

Author says:
The Acura’s brake pedal has a better initial bite and none of the uncertainty of the BMW’s. Even though we may like the new M3’s steering, the M340i doesn’t benefit from the same feel.

Can't really comment on that as its subjective. Non-subjective M340 Braking, 70–0 mph: 156 ft vs Type-S Braking, 70–0 mph: 165 ft
He does say at the end of the paragraph "There’s no denying the M340i’s ultimate performance is great, but that performance is stony and impersonal. It’s possible to do better, and the TLX Type S is direct evidence."

Then after all that says

"So yes, the Acura offers better intangibles, but it’s impossible to deny that the BMW’s dynamics and athleticism are anything short of extraordinary"

He likes the SHAWD better than the E-LSD said this:

Unlike the Acura’s buttoned-down SH-AWD, the M340i is going to tickle the childish part of your brain. Its rear-drive bias makes it far easier to wag its tail, and BMW’s sport stability control system is happy to oblige in an instant. You can even do donuts on command, which is something the Acura won’t be doing short of a wet skidpad.

"With both cars set to full attack mode — “Sport+” for Acura and “Sport Plus” for BMW — it’s the TLX Type S that shines brighter. The goodness doesn’t come from fast lap capabilities; surely, the BMW is quicker there. But instead, the TLX Type S wows with its connected chassis and ability to make a driver smile."

Will make a subjective opinion here.
If he thinks the Honda 10 speed is superior to the ZF8 in sports + he is out of his freeken mind. He also does not seem to understand about lap times being the meld of power & suspension with suspension being the senior partner.

So from a performance point of view he wanted to get back into the Type S. Seriously!

Some Non Number Specific stuff

"The TLX Type S offers a slightly calmer and more cosseting ride over rough pavement, but the BMW’s cabin is quieter. City driving is smoother and more efficient with BMW’s 48-volt mild-hybrid system shutting off the engine smoothly and frequently. Efficiency in general is a huge plus in the M340i’s favor. Even with significantly quicker acceleration and more power, the BMW utterly crushes the TLX in fuel economy, as it comes in at 26 mpg combined versus the TLX Type S’ 21 mpg combined. This is more important than it sounds, as the average driver will save about $550 per year in fuel going for the M340i xDrive over the TLX Type S. That means that in just five years’ time, fuel costs alone will have fully made up for the BMW’s higher base price versus the Acura."

"While we're drawn to the TLX’s sporty interior design, the tech
and infotainment — minus the Acura’s outstanding ELS audio system — all feel a step behind what's found in the BMW. It’s largely a wash in the luxury debate. Both are sumptuously appointed sedans, but neither stands out as a seminal, upper-class experience. Any rear seat passengers will prefer sitting in the M340i, but again, it’s close enough to the TLX that passenger comfort is only a half-hearted check in BMW’s favor. The two swap places in terms of real-world trunk space – neither is great, but the Acura just edges out the BMW. In other words, practicality won't be swaying this debate."

He ends it all with this:

Having to choose between these two options is a genuinely good problem to have, as you can’t go wrong either way. Engine junkies should gather by the BMW, but maximum value-seekers should migrate Acura’s way. If forced to choose only one, the TLX Type S would find a place in our garage. It out-styles the M340i by a longshot, and it’s the more engaging car to drive. BMW would win in a pure numbers comparison, but the TLX Type S steps in as the superior sport sedan when you toss aside the numbers and simply
drive.

My subject opinionHe says the BMW out runs the S & has all the performance numbers, He says the interior is a wash, He says the S is a better sports sedan. How do you throw out all the numbers & declare it the better sports sedan? That logic may work in an alternate universe or on some websites. I think based on the words in this review in this universe what the S has is a Lower Price for a nice family sedan.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-27-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.

Relax, it was meant in jest.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Prior to release it was all about the numbers the Type S would regain its rightful place at the top of the mid prices sports sedans

Then Slow Sam let the air out of the balloon & it was no longer about numbers but the totality of he car. Like it or not you will find people who bought other makes think their cars are the total overall package or they would not have bought them.

As far as the totality of the type S less 0-60 I think I also read in the article

BMW arranges its cylinders inline Inline's are better then V's in 6 cylinder configuration. BMW never left, MB is returning, Jaguar Land Rover is returning & Toyota is entering inline's as their 6 cylinder.

Author says:
There are few sounds in the automotive universe that surpass the glee we feel when listening to a BMW inline-six at full-chat and that rule still applies to the M340i.

The TLX’s noise would be even better if it weren’t always ping-ponging between such short gears. The M340i's eight-speed is therefore far more satisfying. It’s just a shame that the tiny, plastic paddles are so flimsy and lame, leaving us just as happy to leave it in auto.

It should be noted that the unimportant 0-60 run would be even longer without the short gears.

You sit lower down in the Acura than you do the BMW. The shape of the steering wheel and driving position is far more natural in the Acura, as the M340i’s wheel just sits a tad too high to be just right.
What I don't understand is the BMW wheel is adjustable for height & reach & both cars have power seats the raise & lower among other things. Maybe a comment here from a "S" driver. FWIW drove the TLX not the S so maybe its different here.

Author says:
The Acura’s brake pedal has a better initial bite and none of the uncertainty of the BMW’s. Even though we may like the new M3’s steering, the M340i doesn’t benefit from the same feel.

Can't really comment on that as its subjective. Non-subjective M340 Braking, 70–0 mph: 156 ft vs Type-S Braking, 70–0 mph: 165 ft
He does say at the end of the paragraph "There’s no denying the M340i’s ultimate performance is great, but that performance is stony and impersonal. It’s possible to do better, and the TLX Type S is direct evidence."

Then after all that says

"So yes, the Acura offers better intangibles, but it’s impossible to deny that the BMW’s dynamics and athleticism are anything short of extraordinary"

Unlike the Acura’s buttoned-down SH-AWD, the M340i is going to tickle the childish part of your brain. Its rear-drive bias makes it far easier to wag its tail, and BMW’s sport stability control system is happy to oblige in an instant. You can even do donuts on command, which is something the Acura won’t be doing short of a wet skidpad.

"With both cars set to full attack mode — “Sport+” for Acura and “Sport Plus” for BMW — it’s the TLX Type S that shines brighter. The goodness doesn’t come from fast lap capabilities; surely, the BMW is quicker there. But instead, the TLX Type S wows with its connected chassis and ability to make a driver smile."

If he thinks the Honda 10 speed is superior to the ZF8 in sports + he is out of his freeken mind. He also does not seem to understand about lap times being the meld of power & suspension with suspension being the senior partner.

So from a performance point of view he wanted to get back into the Type S. Seriously!

"The TLX Type S offers a slightly calmer and more cosseting ride over rough pavement, but the BMW’s cabin is quieter. City driving is smoother and more efficient with BMW’s 48-volt mild-hybrid system shutting off the engine smoothly and frequently. Efficiency in general is a huge plus in the M340i’s favor. Even with significantly quicker acceleration and more power, the BMW utterly crushes the TLX in fuel economy, as it comes in at 26 mpg combined versus the TLX Type S’ 21 mpg combined. This is more important than it sounds, as the average driver will save about $550 per year in fuel going for the M340i xDrive over the TLX Type S. That means that in just five years’ time, fuel costs alone will have fully made up for the BMW’s higher base price versus the Acura."

and infotainment — minus the Acura’s outstanding ELS audio system — all feel a step behind what's found in the BMW. It’s largely a wash in the luxury debate. Both are sumptuously appointed sedans, but neither stands out as a seminal, upper-class experience. Any rear seat passengers will prefer sitting in the M340i, but again, it’s close enough to the TLX that passenger comfort is only a half-hearted check in BMW’s favor. The two swap places in terms of real-world trunk space – neither is great, but the Acura just edges out the BMW. In other words, practicality won't be swaying this debate."

Having to choose between these two options is a genuinely good problem to have, as you can’t go wrong either way. Engine junkies should gather by the BMW, but maximum value-seekers should migrate Acura’s way. If forced to choose only one, the TLX Type S would find a place in our garage. It out-styles the M340i by a longshot, and it’s the more engaging car to drive. BMW would win in a pure numbers comparison, but the TLX Type S steps in as the superior sport sedan when you toss aside the numbers and simply
drive.

My subject opinionHe says the BMW out runs the S & has all the performance numbers, He says the interior is a wash, He says the S is a better sports sedan. How do you throw out all the numbers & declare it the better sports sedan? That logic may work in an alternate universe or on some websites. I think based on the words in this review in this universe what the S has is a Lower Price for a nice family sedan.
I sort of agree. If the numbers were closer the reported pov would make more sense. But the M340i is simply on a different level performancewise and beyond just a little better where it counts most when it comes to this segment.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I think there are no cars in this segments that are a miss. Each entry has enough good attributes to make them a good choice (even the very aged Q50)....and that's great for us.

Last edited by F23A4; 12-28-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I sort of agree. If the numbers were closer the reported pov would make more sense. But the M340i is simply on a different level performancewise and beyond just a little better where it counts most when it comes to this segment.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I think there are no cars in this segments that are a miss. Each entry has enough good attributes to make them a good choice (even the very aged Q50)....and that's great for us.
Agree, Think the basic design for each car is well rounded for what the car actually does. No losers taken in that context. The differences are FORD vs Chevy muscle car bar room chatter brought into the early 2000's.

BTW No dog in this particular race. Don't own an M340 & have never owned a 4 door BMW. Would only consider an M5 if I had to have a 4 door car. All mine were/are coupes or convertibles with one 2 seater in the mix.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-28-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:43 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
If you read the review correctly, they fault both vehicles and praise them at the same time. Each has their own purpose and depending on your needs and wants, one might be better than the other. There are options on the BMW that the Acura doesn't offer and vice versa. Not here to defend either one, if you're all about true performance with proven engine / transmission, M340i is your pick. If you're all about the most bang for your buck (without over paying at the dealership with their bs markup) the Type-s is your best pick. As for resale values, we all know as of today, this no longer means shit as everything is sky high used or new. If you're looking for aftermarket support, the M340i is your option. Styling, sound, performance and comfort are all personal preference. I make my own judgements on that. Remember, there are people out there that think a straight pipe TL sounds incredible, but to me it sounds like raspy pile of shit. You get my point.
The following 5 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-29-2021), leomio2.0 (12-29-2021), MarcoTLX (12-28-2021), mike03a3 (12-30-2021), Tony Pac (12-28-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 10:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts

Good one.

Thanks for posting, pretty good subjective and objective comparison to M340i and Type-S with both of their pro's and con's.
Tony Pac (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 05:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Thanks for posting, pretty good subjective and objective comparison to M340i and Type-S with both of their pro's and con's.
Agreed!

Old 12-30-2021, 01:25 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
I agree that this was an excellent review that pretty accurately describes the pluses and minuses of both vehicles. My only real quibble is the paint choice on the BMW, for two reasons. First is the fact that the BMW has a very expensive special order paint that grossly distorts the price comparison, and second (in my personal opinion) it's a color that detracts from the styling/appearance of the car. But it indirectly highlights one of the (again in my opinion) advantages of the BMW: the Individual Manufaktur program. https://www.bmwusa.com/innovations/bmw-individual.html You aren't limited to a handful of paint/interior choices, you can let your imagination run wild.

Some of the criticisms of the BMW, such as a lack of "feel" to the steering and brakes, are echoed on the BMW forums when compared to previous BMW's.

For the TLX-Type S, the criticism of weight vs horsepower and overall size compared to an undersized interior, especially in the back seat, have been beat to death here. But they are spot on and major contributors to my decision to drop my plan to purchase the Type-S last summer.

But at the end of the day, they are both excellent cars which should make anyone who appreciates the pluses very happy.
Old 12-30-2021, 03:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mike03a3
I agree that this was an excellent review that pretty accurately describes the pluses and minuses of both vehicles. My only real quibble is the paint choice on the BMW, for two reasons. First is the fact that the BMW has a very expensive special order paint that grossly distorts the price comparison, and second (in my personal opinion) it's a color that detracts from the styling/appearance of the car. But it indirectly highlights one of the (again in my opinion) advantages of the BMW: the Individual Manufaktur program. https://www.bmwusa.com/innovations/bmw-individual.html You aren't limited to a handful of paint/interior choices, you can let your imagination run wild.

Some of the criticisms of the BMW, such as a lack of "feel" to the steering and brakes, are echoed on the BMW forums when compared to previous BMW's.

For the TLX-Type S, the criticism of weight vs horsepower and overall size compared to an undersized interior, especially in the back seat, have been beat to death here. But they are spot on and major contributors to my decision to drop my plan to purchase the Type-S last summer.

But at the end of the day, they are both excellent cars which should make anyone who appreciates the pluses very happy.
Well written response to that review, also agree on the last sentence
Old 12-30-2021, 03:19 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts

Author says:

Author says:

Then after all that says

drive.

Seems like this interview struck a nerve. You drive a Bimmer, don't you?
WTF.Acura (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bilirubin
Seems like this interview struck a nerve. You drive a Bimmer, don't you?
Yeah an unmatched pair of convertibles that share the number 4, a Z4 M40i & M4C, but neither is an M340.

What struck me was the inconsistency in reporting his experience in the two cars against the conclusions he drew from the experience. Thought the reporting itself was pretty fair as written took no issue with it. Guy made a few mistakes. minor stuff, one or two I would challenge, but overall the piece was one of the better ones, nicely done. Only had issues with some of his conclusions.

His last line was what I saw when I was reading the piece.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-30-2021 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

https://jalopnik.com/best-reviews-20...6HtU4raY3Zw8a0

The world of mid-level super-sports-sedans is getting pretty crowded these days with competent players like the M340i, C43, S4, Q50 Redsport, CT5-V, and G70 3.3T. They’re all around $50,000 starting price, they’re all in the 365 horsepower range, and they’re all reasonably quick and comfortable. In order to stand out from the crowd of mid-level manager sporty cars in varying shades of silver, Acura has given the TLX Type-S a bunch of standard equipment that you either can’t get in the competitive set, or you have to pay through the nose for in options. It also has Super Handling All Wheel Drive, which has always been great, and just keeps getting better.

Before we get started, just know I love sport sedans. This is maybe my favorite segment of the market, and I’ve watched it get soft and flaccid over the last decade or so. The German automakers have brought unexciting entries to this market, and while I’ve traditionally been an Audi S-series fanatic (I still own a 1995 Audi S6), I’m not particularly interested in the sporty sedans from the traditional players these days. They’re just okay. I need a bit more spice, and that doesn’t necessarily mean more horsepower.

What Is The Acura TLX Type-S?

Acura launched the new TLX last year as a moderately attractive (if a little conservatively styled) mid-sized sporty sedan with a detuned 2-liter turbocharged VTEC engine cribbed from the Civic Type-R. For 2021, the company has launched an even more powerful version, bearing an Acura-specific 3-liter twin-scroll turbocharged V6 engine. Despite being a hefty boy at 4,200 pounds, that engine makes 355 horsepower and 354 lb-ft of torque. That’s plenty to shove it around. The standard SH-AWD torque vectoring system also makes the car feel at least 500 pounds lighter than it is.

Priced at $52,300 it’s right in the middle of the market. It’s just a little more than a base S4 and just a little less than a base C43 AMG. That said, it does come equipped as standard with advanced safety electronics, adaptive dampers, 20-inch wheels, heated and ventilated 16-way power seats, and ELS Studio premium audio. Most of that stuff comes at extra cost in the Germans. Fine. Acura is playing the value card, but it seems to be the right one for this car to play.

It’s an important foundation for Acura to lay if it wants to rebuild its sporty image kingdom. It’s also a great piece of structural groundwork for even faster versions of the TLX. Perhaps the company could build something of a ‘Type’ that is ‘R’apid.

The Drive

It’s hard to think of a better place to properly run a fast sedan through its paces than the oak-dotted hills around Monterey, followed by a couple on-track sessions at Laguna Seca.

In the morning, Acura tossed me the keys to a Tiger Eye Pearl (that’s the gold color) TLX Type-S and told me to go get lost on the coast somewhere. There were a few different routes to choose from, but it was a pretty free-form drive experience. I headed down to 17-mile drive on the Monterey peninsula, heading out to Pebble Beach and up the coast to Cannery Row and back. There were plenty of tight twisting roads in the seaside forests to test the Acura’s responsiveness.

On the road, the car feels about as light on its feet and nimble as anything weighing over two tons can. In normal driving, it feels like a quick people mover, as you keep the suspension soft and throttle response reined in. Hit a fun driving road, pop it into sport, and the big sedan shrinkwraps around you, feeling much smaller than it has any right to. The steering is quick and delivers enough feedback. The tires are grippy. The SH-AWD works its techno-wizardry to make it feel like a much more compact car than it is. It’s like it rotates around the inside front wheel.

I’ve only experienced something similar — the eerie feeling of a quite large and hefty machine feeling much smaller and lighter weight from the driver’s seat — from one other car: the Porsche Panamera. As it turns out, when I mentioned this to an Acura engineer, they mentioned to me that the company purchased a nearly $200,000 version of the P-car to benchmark the TLX Type-S steering and AWD tuning. Whatever they did, it damn well worked.

It goes without saying that I would prefer a sports sedan find its speed by lowering its weight rather than adding power and techno bits and bobs, but if you absolutely must deal with 4,200 pounds of heft, this is a pretty good way of doing it.

As with everything in this segment of the market, it’s astonishing how fast these cars are today. The medium-fast sedans of today are faster and better equipped than sports cars of just 15 years ago. 0-60 times in the 4-second range are plenty. Who honestly needs more than that? You can rip a 12-second quarter mile pass, and bring the whole family with you when you do it. It’s silly fast.

On Track

Thank god for big beefy Brembos.

While the driving experience on the street may not quite tell the driver the full extent of the heft carried by a TLX Type-S, it sure communicates that well at 110 miles per hour into the braking zone at the bottom of the hill for the Andretti Hairpin. This car is heavy. There’s no way of getting around that. But the braking system fitted to the car is adequate even for several laps of Laguna Seca with deep braking zones into turns two, five, eight, and 11. The pedal is strong and communicative, and it only takes a hard run on the brakes or two to gain confidence in the car’s ability.

When you mention Laguna Seca, everyone immediately jumps to the Corkscrew and the level of intestinal fortitude needed to negotiate it quickly. I would argue it takes flagrant boldness to keep the loud pedal buried over the blind hill on the start/finish straight. It feeds directly into a left-hand arcing sweeper into a hard brake zone. Beyond that, the corner immediately following the Corkscrew, Rainey Curve, is a fully-loaded high-speed sweeper with little margin for error. The Corkscrew, despite all the press, is practically a non-event, though it’s fun as shit when you get it right.

With Ryan Eversley up ahead in a brand-new NSX, there was no chance any of us would catch him, but following in his wheel tracks, we got an idea of what the TLX Type-S was capable of. After six laps at speed, I felt like I knew about a dozen places I could improve my lap time if I really pushed it hard, but it’s not my car and I don’t have the budget to pay for new armco barriers at one of the most storied racing circuits in the world. I’m not a novice driver, and this car is still capable of quicker lap times on track than I really feel comfortable chasing.

While I didn’t clock any lap times in the TLX Type-S, there’s no question it was a quick sumbitch. Over 100 into turn two, over 100 into turn five, and much higher corner speeds than I expected all around the track. The steering is pretty engaging, and while I could have shifted with paddles, I chose to have the 10-speed automatic’s computer do its shifting for me. The last thing I want is to smash a paddle five or six times into a slow hairpin from V-max, and the computer can manage that pretty well. There’s probably another few tenths to be found if I did shift myself, but if a car has more than six gears, I don’t really want to shift it myself anyway.

I’m not sure this is an out-and-out track machine, however. It’s just too heavy.

Still, it’s engaging to hustle around. Turn two is an excellent test of the car’s torque vectoring system, as it really wants you to believe you’re in a rear-biased sports sedan. Feed the throttle in at the apex, crank the wheel over, and power out to the kerbs at the exit. You’ll feel several degrees of yaw as the back end steps out to rotate the car around and aim it at the next corner. It’s a welcome and engaging sensation on track, and the grip and forward bite provided by SH-AWD is prodigious.

What’s Great

This is a great step in the right direction for Acura. To make a car that is genuinely luxurious inside but still capable of going stupid fast on a race track has always been the goal of a sports sedan, right? If those are the kinds of things you value in a daily driver, this is a great place to start.

The brakes are exceptional. The four-piston Brembos are strong enough to haul this big dude down from mega speeds in short order, repeatably, for at least three laps of Laguna Seca at a time. Good feel, good stopping, overall good.

The interior is really nice. This isn’t much different from the standard TLX, but I like how Acura lays things out. The materials are nice, the size is nice, and the light and airy ambiance of the light-colored “Orchid” interior is extremely welcome. This is a car that takes its fun extremely seriously, and the interior reflects that. It’s well-assembled, and looks pretty good.

I might also be in the minority here, but I really like Acura’s center console touch pad much better than any touch screen. It’s reasonably intuitive, and once you figure out where your finger is, you can control the screen without looking down from the road. It’s not quite as good as a button-based interface — there’s not much positive click engagement from the pad — but it’s a massive improvement over a screen.

I’m not an audiophile, but the standard audio package is really nice. Most of the music I listen to is lofi garbage quality anyway, and I can’t tell the difference in quality between a CD and satellite radio, so take that piece of information with as many grains of salt as you’d like. It sounded good. I don’t know anything about sound stages or depth of the treble or whatever, so you’ll have to test it yourself to determine if it’s fit for your discerning ears.

I’m a big guy, and I fit well in this car. At 6'2" and mostly torso, I didn’t have any headroom issues, and the seat was nice and wide and comfortable. For track work, it could have used a bit more bolster, but it wasn’t bad, and if it had been better optimized for track, it would be worse for the street.
Image: AcuraI also really liked the wheels. While I don’t really want 20 inchers for my daily commute, they’re a striking design, especially on the gold paint car. They’re “NSX-inspired” which probably helps, and does connect the TLX to the NSX visually.

Power is good. More power is better. The standard TLX is pretty okay with 272 horsepower from a 2-liter inline four, but add an extra liter, an extra pair of cylinders, and another 73 horsepower, and it comes alive. This engine feels totally under-stressed, so it could probably be tuned to produce a lot more, either in the aftermarket or in future, faster, Acura products. Do I want to see this engine in a new sports coupe, a la the old RSX? Sure, why not? Especially if it is lighter.

As per usual, the SH-AWD system is phenomenal. It can do all kinds of math in a fraction of a second, and allows the driver to basically plant foot, turn wheel, go fast.

What’s Weak

Heavy heavy heavy. At 4,200 pounds, this isn’t a lightweight track brawler. It’s a sturdy machine. Despite driving much lighter than it actually is, all that weight is still going to be hell on parts. Tires, suspension, brakes, fluids, and more will wear out faster as the weight of a car climbs. I’d hate to have the consumables and maintenance bill for a thing this stout and fast.

The engine is decent, and sounds okay, but it doesn’t have the character of a big-revs naturally-aspirated Honda engine of days gone by. The 3-liter is a bit uninspired. It’s not exactly lopey with a 6,200 rpm redline, but it doesn’t feel like a proper sports car engine the way prior Type-S models had. If I’m getting into a sporty Acura, I really want to zing it out to redline, but this one doesn’t really reward such behavior. Just let the turbo do its thing, and you’ll be going quickly in no time.

Like anything fast these days, it’s video-game fast without theater or pomp. This car just “shits and gits,” as my grandfather would say. The torque curve is as flat as a table, and while that makes for a fast car with unbelievable lap times, it doesn’t imbue character or connection.

I know it’s cliché at this point for an automotive scribe to decry the death of the manual transmission, but this car would be at least 60 times better with a gearbox to row and a third pedal. I don’t care about paddle shifters or lap times or whatever, when I’m looking for a sports sedan, I want driver engagement, dammit.

Conclusion

Acura basically built this car for people like me. I want a car which will carry people, dogs, and occasionally things in a rapid and engaging fashion. Sport sedans are totally my jam. I can’t abide fast SUVs, and I am kind of too old to drive a two-door and expect my friends and family to squeeze into the back seat. This is the sports car for people who grew up and got stable jobs. It’ll totally baby, is what I’m saying.
Image: AcuraUnfortunately, this whole segment of the market kind of falls flat for me right now. Everything got too big, too bloated, too heavy, and too technologically advanced. Acura’s most recent Type-S machine, the TL, weighed some 500 pounds less than this.

Car And Driver’s Daniel Pund tested the OG Type-S — the gorgeous and capable 3.2CL — in period and called it out for being capable but not fun. “The Type S is so undeniably good, so well-produced, so good at the process of being what it is supposed to be,” Pund wrote, “that it has left us utterly unmoved.”

It’s a shame to say it, but the new TLX Type-S is more of the same. By that token, it’s perfectly representative of what the Type-S brand exists to do. It’s a damn good car, but it doesn’t stir the emotions the way I thought it might. It sure is quick, though.

If you buy one, get it in gold. It’s such a good color, and it shifts so beautifully in changing light situations. From now until the day I die, every time I see one of these on the road, I’ll get a little bit excited. Just not excited enough to buy one.

Last edited by F23A4; 01-01-2022 at 08:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
Legend2TL (01-01-2022), WTF.Acura (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 01:54 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Yeah an unmatched pair of convertibles that share the number 4, a Z4 M40i & M4C, but neither is an M340.

What struck me was the inconsistency in reporting his experience in the two cars against the conclusions he drew from the experience. Thought the reporting itself was pretty fair as written took no issue with it. Guy made a few mistakes. minor stuff, one or two I would challenge, but overall the piece was one of the better ones, nicely done. Only had issues with some of his conclusions.

His last line was what I saw when I was reading the piece.
Sorry, I was just being facetious. We all know what you drive, seriously.
The following 2 users liked this post by bilirubin:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-01-2022), WTF.Acura (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 03:17 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Why on earth repost an old review that had serious problems when it was posted the first time? Extolling the performance at Leguna Seca when he's being led around the track at speeds less than the commuters are going on the toll road to Dulles airport?
Yeah, the brakes really held up well, as they should have since Acura replaced the pads with racing ones specifically for the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike03a3:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-01-2022), MarcoTLX (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 05:41 PM
AZ Community Team

Why on earth repost an old review that had serious problems when it was posted the first time? Extolling the performance at Leguna Seca when he's being led around the track at speeds less than the commuters are going on the toll road to Dulles airport?
Yeah, the brakes really held up well, as they should have since Acura replaced the pads with racing ones specifically for the track.
Where on the Dulles Tool Road are commuters going 100+MPH?
I was on it a month ago and didn't get passed by anyone going and returning from Dulles Airport in the evening going 75-80

While I didn’t clock any lap times in the TLX Type-S, there’s no question it was a quick sumbitch. Over 100 into turn two, over 100 into turn five, and much higher corner speeds than I expected all around the track.
As to your original question the first sentence answered that
We drove a lot of cars in 2021, we’re reposting a few of our favorites here.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-01-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:43 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Mike, this review was reprinted by Jalopnik yesterday as one of their best reviews of 2021 respective. What's wrong with F23A4 posting it here? Yes, the brakes used at Laguna Seca were performance adds, but that wasn't the only place the reviewer drove the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Honda430:
one4all (01-03-2022), WTF.Acura (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I cross shopped the M340i and TLX Type S and test drove both. I put a deposit on a Type S last week.

I tend to ignore the specs generally and go by my impressions. The M340 is an amazing car and the chassis, engine and transmission are really really sweet. The chassis feel is a big step up from the previous gen. It’s basically an M3 in my mind if you think of what the M3 used to be.

All that said, what kills the M340 for me is the steering feel. I’m dumbfounded tbh at how numb and disconnected the M340 steering is. So that killed it for me.

Type S is not without its issues and it is a bit bulky but on balance the whole package is more in line with my needs and to my mind is a well considered vehicle if you are not into launch control assisted 0-60 launches or trying to drag race. This is replacing my 2018 Accord 1.5T CVT as my daily.

Oh, and the ELS sound system sealed the deal.

It does seem that the most consistent thing I have heard as a negative from reviewers is the manual shifting. For me, I never got into shifting via paddles and the 10-speed is fine as an automatic.

When I need a manual experience I’lll just hop into my 1987 E30 with an S52 swap and use a good old stick.

I still think push button automatic transmissions are weird but not enough to make it an issue.

I thought the review was interesting tbh but but not sure the reviewer was dialed in some of the specifics in both cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by mwandishi:
one4all (01-03-2022), WTF.Acura (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oops. I quoted the wrong review. Intent was to reference the Autoblog M340i vs TLX type S review here:

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2021/12...mparison-test/

I’m new here

Originally Posted by mwandishi
I cross shopped the M340i and TLX Type S and test drove both. I put a deposit on a Type S last week.

I tend to ignore the specs generally and go by my impressions. The M340 is an amazing car and the chassis, engine and transmission are really really sweet. The chassis feel is a big step up from the previous gen. It’s basically an M3 in my mind if you think of what the M3 used to be.

All that said, what kills the M340 for me is the steering feel. I’m dumbfounded tbh at how numb and disconnected the M340 steering is. So that killed it for me.

Type S is not without its issues and it is a bit bulky but on balance the whole package is more in line with my needs and to my mind is a well considered vehicle if you are not into launch control assisted 0-60 launches or trying to drag race. This is replacing my 2018 Accord 1.5T CVT as my daily.

Oh, and the ELS sound system sealed the deal.

It does seem that the most consistent thing I have heard as a negative from reviewers is the manual shifting. For me, I never got into shifting via paddles and the 10-speed is fine as an automatic.

When I need a manual experience I’lll just hop into my 1987 E30 with an S52 swap and use a good old stick.

I still think push button automatic transmissions are weird but not enough to make it an issue.

I thought the review was interesting tbh but but not sure the reviewer was dialed in some of the specifics in both cars.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Where on the Dulles Tool Road are commuters going 100+MPH?
I was on it a month ago and didn't get passed by anyone going and returning from Dulles Airport in the evening going 75-80
As to your original question the first sentence answered that
Thank god for big beefy Brembos.

He was running on track pads only did 3 laps so what is the big deal slowing down from 100mph to corner? Point is he is not doing it on factory pads so poor info being given by him in the public. Guess he did not get the memo that C&D got about the pads or ignored it & did not explain why he was wowed with the brakes. One very good example of why not to put all that much reliance on the average Automotive Journalist. For people who drive the Dulles road even at 70 mph where it will take them165ft to stop with factory pads might wonder what happened to the brakes that were so wonderful pulling the car down from 100mph on a race track.

With masses of people doing 85 & change on the interstates everyday doing follow the leader at 100 on a closed course is nothing special. Been to charity runs at VIR that passed 100 by more than just a few miles an hour.

The "S" may well go faster prior to the turn as most all modern sports sedans will but the author said 100 so 100 it is.

Tried it get something that will approach 100/105MPH prior to braking for 2 & 5, 1999 Honda S2000 falls in pretty well. Turn 2 a hairpin is an under 50mph turn for the S2000. Its brakes on hard then trail brakes. Turn 5 is a 55mph turn for the car. Its good to hard brake early as part way through its banked & starts uphill so you need to keep momentum up for lap times.

By todays standards an S2000 is not all the quick taking 16.4 seconds to 100 & but stops better than the "S" 70-0 in 159ft. The "S" has a better skid pad rating so would expect it will not have to lose as much speed in the turns.

Somebody wants to play maybe they can find a youtube LS lap that shows the speed during the run to see how other modern cars are doing on 2 & 5.

On the journalist side of things has nothing to do with the car but the words that are in the report.

"As with everything in this segment of the market, it’s astonishing how fast these cars are today. The medium-fast sedans of today are faster and better equipped than sports cars of just 15 years ago. 0-60 times in the 4-second range are plenty. Who honestly needs more than that? You can rip a 12-second quarter mile pass, and bring the whole family with you when you do it. It’s silly fast."

What is he talking about here? The state of modern sports sedans or the "S" itself. The reason I ask a 4 second "S" type can be debated, but let it slide, the car is a 13.5 second 1/4 miler not 12 with just the driver it. He says its silly fast. Is he trying to blend the "S" in with these other cars or does he just not know the difference?

Today 1/4 @ 13.5 is by no measure silly fast. Off the lot production cars doing the 1/4 in 10,11 seconds with no tuning, that is fast. When looking at 4 second 0-60 the top 10 cars in the 0-60 tested in 2021 ranged from #1 Tesla 2.07 to #10 M3 Competition 2.98. The whole 10 cars separated by 0.91 seconds that is silly fast. Its just like the "Thank God for big beefy Brembos" Forgot the **Big Beefy Brembos especially fitted with track day pads today.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Same here my second choice was the M340i xDrive it's pretty fast especially with LC engaged but I ultimately settled & ordered a Type-S back in October. Mine is Apex Blue exterior with red interior & performance wheels. I am hoping I take delivery around mid to end March.

Last edited by All_PSI89; 01-01-2022 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by All_PSI89
Same here my second choice was the M340i xDrive it's pretty fast especially with LC engaged but I ultimately settled & ordered a Type-S back in October. Mine is Apex Blue exterior with red interior & performance wheels. I am hoping I take delivery around mid to end March.
Congrats, that blue looks stunning (another AZ on this forum has it and posted some pics of his).

As for the Jalopnik review, the summary says it best

Conclusion

Acura basically built this car for people like me. I want a car which will carry people, dogs, and occasionally things in a rapid and engaging fashion. Sport sedans are totally my jam. I can’t abide fast SUVs, and I am kind of too old to drive a two-door and expect my friends and family to squeeze into the back seat. This is the sports car for people who grew up and got stable jobs. It’ll totally baby, is what I’m saying.
norsairius (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts

As for the Jalopnik review, the summary says it best

Conclusion:
I think that review is bizarre and misguided, because then they say ...

" every time I see one of these on the road, I’ll get a little bit excited.
Just not excited enough to buy one. "
BEAR-AvHistory (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 09:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
I think that review is bizarre and misguided, because then they say ...

" every time I see one of these on the road, I’ll get a little bit excited.
Just not excited enough to buy one. "
Context, which is lost frequently in the 2G forum

Here is what preceded that statement, which I agree with as well as the rest of the pretty good review which covers the pro's and con's of the Type-S

Conclusion

Unfortunately, this whole segment of the market kind of falls flat for me right now. Everything got too big, too bloated, too heavy, and too technologically advanced. Acura’s most recent Type-S machine, the TL, weighed some 500 pounds less than this.

Car And Driver’s Daniel Pund tested the OG Type-S — the gorgeous and capable 3.2CL — in period and called it out for being capable but not fun. “The Type S is so undeniably good, so well-produced, so good at the process of being what it is supposed to be,” Pund wrote, “that it has left us utterly unmoved.”

It’s a shame to say it, but the new TLX Type-S is more of the same. By that token, it’s perfectly representative of what the Type-S brand exists to do. It’s a damn good car, but it doesn’t stir the emotions the way I thought it might. It sure is quick, though.

If you buy one, get it in gold. It’s such a good color, and it shifts so beautifully in changing light situations. From now until the day I die, every time I see one of these on the road, I’ll get a little bit excited. Just not excited enough to buy one.
FWIW, I spent four days with my brother's 2015 BMW Alpina B6 a couple weeks ago and I was also unmoved. Very powerful and quick but also emphatic of that bold statement too.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 01-02-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Unfortunately, this whole segment of the market kind of falls flat for me right now. Everything got too big, too bloated, too heavy, and too technologically advanced. Acura’s most recent Type-S machine, the TL, weighed some 500 pounds less than this.
This is exactly where I am at right now also. I need to park in tight spaces frequently, usually it's just me or one other person, and this segment is just getting too bloated in size but still not gaining any practicality; it's getting hard for me to justify purchasing something like this over a sporty crossover, that will be shorter and also more useful.

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion