Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 11:27 AM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Which segment again does the TLX play in? Exterior wise it's in the mid-size segment, so if we're talking about dimensions shouldn't we be comparing this against cars like the 5-series, A6, E-Class, G80, etc?

It's easier to forgive the A4, G70, etc. for having similar (or even slightly worse) rearseat room because those cars are squarely in the compact segment, and they give you the space efficiency you expect of a RWD compact car (or in the case of the A4, FWD compact car). The TLX is for all intents and purposes a FWD midsize car that happens to just have the interior space of a RWD compact car.
Unfortunately Acura didn’t design this TLX for people in your situation. Just get a vehicle with the interior space to accommodate your needs and be done with it. I guess I’m kind of weird because if I needed to cart around kids in a car seat I’d simply bite the bullet and buy an SUV even though I’m not an SUV type of guy.
The following users liked this post:
BOWA41 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:42 AM
Car Enthusiast

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Why do people always have to source out to the SUV to cart the kids around?
The following 2 users liked this post by vhtran:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-30-2021), pyrodan007 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Same reason why people tend to source out to buying a house rather than getting an apartment when raising kids: added utility.
The following 3 users liked this post by F23A4:
ELIN (08-30-2021), Legend2TL (08-30-2021), MarcoTLX (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:47 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by Honda430
Unfortunately Acura didn’t design this TLX for people in your situation. Just get a vehicle with the interior space to accommodate your needs and be done with it. I guess I’m kind of weird because if I needed to cart around kids in a car seat I’d simply bite the bullet and buy an SUV even though I’m not an SUV type of guy.
Originally Posted by vhtran
Why do people always have to source out to the SUV to cart the kids around?
We broke down and bought a Honda Pilot to haul the gandkids around in - it has a metric buttload of space and makes things a zillion times easier when we need to haul more than 4 people. It's not a sports car but that's not the function we need when hauling kids to a high school football game. It rides surprisingly well too!

The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
MarcoTLX (08-30-2021), vhtran (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
So who exactly was it designed for? Do busyers actually find it aesthetically attractive to have midsize exterior porportions with compact interior space? Does it make it feel more "sporty" because it's less practical? Why not just turn this into a 2 door, if people who are buying it don't plan on really using the backseats all that much?
Old 08-30-2021, 12:03 PM
Car Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
We broke down and bought a Honda Pilot to haul the gandkids around in - it has a metric buttload of space and makes things a zillion times easier when we need to haul more than 4 people. It's not a sports car but that's not the function we need when hauling kids to a high school football game. It rides surprisingly well too!
I do agree that SUV is the best for hauling as we have a few in the house (mine is not for hauling ) , but a 5 seater sedan can and should haul as well. The Accord can comfortably haul 3 Asian kids in the back.
The following 2 users liked this post by vhtran:
CheeseyPoofs McNut (08-30-2021), pyrodan007 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:07 PM
Pro

Received 544 Likes on 256 Posts
So who exactly was it designed for? Do busyers actually find it aesthetically attractive to have midsize exterior porportions with compact interior space? Does it make it feel more "sporty" because it's less practical? Why not just turn this into a 2 door, if people who are buying it don't plan on really using the backseats all that much?
I’m an empty nester so the car works perfectly for my needs absent the ability to carry the occasional over sized object. And yes the car is big, but it’s a big ole pretty car that can bring a smile to your face from almost every viewing angle. Also if you abhor cookie cutter designs there’s nothing on the road that looks like it.
MarcoTLX (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:07 PM

I have my dogs crates in the back more than I have people - and two crates fit back to back (they're schnauzers ) - just barely. On occasion I'll have a kid or two (they fit fine) and on even more rare occasions I'll have a couple adults. When I say rare that's maybe once a year. So personally I don't care about the back seat or the dimensions of the car - I think it looks awesome in person which played a part of my purchase decision. I'd love to buy a 911 or even a Vette but my wife won't sign off - she's 100% fine with this.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:11 PM

I do agree that SUV is the best for hauling as we have a few in the house (mine is not for hauling ) , but a 5 seater sedan can and should haul as well. The Accord can comfortably haul 3 Asian kids in the back.
It depends on the sedan really. If I was 35 and had three kids I'd buy an Accord and be done with it. At this point in my life the TLX checks every box for me. Right tool for the job and all that.
The following 3 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
a35tl (08-30-2021), Legend2TL (08-30-2021), vhtran (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

I’m an empty nester so the car works perfectly for my needs absent the ability to carry the occasional over sized object. And yes the car is big, but it’s a big ole pretty car that can bring a smile to your face from almost every viewing angle. Also if you abhor cookie cutter designs there’s nothing on the road that looks like it.
Agreed and well stated. We have a teen and a middle schooler so, we're working our way towards empty nesthood. It's really an ideal vehicle for that person. If I needed a bit more space then, the Accord Touring would be atop the list.
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
Shadow2056 (08-31-2021), vhtran (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:23 PM
Car Enthusiast

Once the kids are in college, i'll be hauling a Miata with a Winnebego Navion or the like. =)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Once the kids are in college, i'll be hauling a Miata with a Winnebego Navion or the like. =)
We’ll be going the Micro Minnie route more than likely around that time.
vhtran (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
This is exactly what i was talking about before your saying the back seat is useless when its just plainly not. The back seat does not work for someone with 2 rear facing car seats. For everyone else its perfectly functional. The back seat room should eliminate this car for almost no one. You just happen to be the 0.01% that cant make it work. Ive got 3 kids, if i could only have 1 vehicle it would be a van, because that is what you sign up for when you have multiple kids. You accomodate them. I dont have 1 vehicle i have 2. I have the type S and an Odyssey, clearly if i was going to do a 500mile road trip id take the van because it would be more comfortable for every one then having everyone in the type S. but this is true of any sedan, i wouldnt want to cram them in to a 340i or c43 or a s5 and especially not an is350 or G70 for 500mile trip because clearly that would not be optimal for anyone involved. But to drive 30miles to grandmas house of 4 miles to school it is a complete non factor. Again, sorry it doesnt accommodate your specific life at this specific moment but it doesnt mean the car is non functional.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sombasol
This is exactly what i was talking about before your saying the back seat is useless when its just plainly not. The back seat does not work for someone with 2 rear facing car seats. For everyone else its perfectly functional. The back seat room should eliminate this car for almost no one. You just happen to be the 0.01% that cant make it work. Ive got 3 kids, if i could only have 1 vehicle it would be a van, because that is what you sign up for when you have multiple kids. You accomodate them. I dont have 1 vehicle i have 2. I have the type S and an Odyssey, clearly if i was going to do a 500mile road trip id take the van because it would be more comfortable for every one then having everyone in the type S. but this is true of any sedan, i wouldnt want to cram them in to a 340i or c43 or a s5 and especially not an is350 or G70 for 500mile trip because clearly that would not be optimal for anyone involved. But to drive 30miles to grandmas house of 4 miles to school it is a complete non factor. Again, sorry it doesnt accommodate your specific life at this specific moment but it doesnt mean the car is non functional.
Interesting reading this thread regarding rear seat accommodations. In the end, no sense bemoaning what Acura did -- it is what it is and if that takes the vehicle off the potential lease/purchase list for any individual, so be it. To sombasol's point, functionality vs. comfort are two different things. Indeed two adults can fit in the TLX rear compartment but I assure you they will be happier in my A6 for a trip of any duration. I just did a MI to FL and back trip in the A6 with 4 adults aboard (well, OK, 2 adults and 2 17 year olds -- taller than I am at 5'10") and we travelled in comfort. The same trip in the TLX would have been very uncomfortable for the two in the rear. I'm over what Acura decided to do as regards the TLX -- doesn't fit my needs and that's OK -- moving on to something else (regrettably however given my history w/Acura).

Best,
Jeff
Old 08-30-2021, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Don't have any 4 door sedans so no struggles with interior size. My thought on this is why build a mid sized car with pretty much the smallest compact sized interior to either pretend its a RWD, or because RWD cars have better visual proportions, or both? Car still has that FWD overhang look because that engine is way out in front giving it that odd weight distribution.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-30-2021 at 01:35 PM.
robnalex (09-02-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 01:46 PM
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Don't have any 4 door sedans so no struggles with interior size. My thought on this is why build a mid sized car with pretty much the smallest compact sized interior to either pretend its a RWD, or because RWD cars have better visual proportions, or both? Car still has that FWD overhang look because that engine is way out in front giving it that odd weight distribution.

Cuz the TLX is the best-looking, FWD-based, transverse V6 car on the market today.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sombasol
Are you saying only 0.01% of adults have kids with rear facing car seats? That seems highly improbable given that kids 0-5 make up something like 7% of the total US popuation.

And as I've already discussed ad naesuem, even 1 kid is tough in the TLX because the center seat is nigh unusable given how high the seat cushion is and how low the roofline is. Lengthwise it's a great seat because of how wide the car is (car seat can fit in between the two front seats) but loading them in and taking them out is a major PITA each time.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
Are you saying only 0.01% of adults have kids with rear facing car seats? That seems highly improbable given that kids 0-5 make up something like 7% of the total US popuation.

And as I've already discussed ad naesuem, even 1 kid is tough in the TLX because the center seat is nigh unusable given how high the seat cushion is and how low the roofline is. Lengthwise it's a great seat because of how wide the car is (car seat can fit in between the two front seats) but loading them in and taking them out is a major PITA each time.
no what i meant was 0.01% of the population would demand a “sports” sedan, with multiple rear facing car seats, where one must be behind the driver. 0.01% is probably an exaggeration, but if only 7% Of the population is 0-5, then i dont think its wildly off since the VAST majority of those parents would head straight for an suv or van.

i understand the frustration of wanting something badly and it not working out for you, but you are in a very specific needs situation that wont be affecting the majority of buyers. Its plenty useable for what the masses would be using this type of vehicle for.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Parting shot at the 1G TLX 3.5?
Old 08-30-2021, 03:58 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,172 Likes on 2,590 Posts
Ah, it sounds like you've never bother to actually try fitting a car seat into the back of the 1G or 2G TLX. Otherwise, you'd know that a one-dimensional measurement like rear legroom is not always representative. So let me share some of my information and facts to show that the 0.8" difference doesn't tell the whole story.

Equipment: Cybex Aton M infant car seat, Nuna Exec convertible cars seat in the rear facing 1 position.
Car seat setup: Behind the passenger seat, LATCH connectors
Front seat setup: 15-degree seat back incline, 5-degree bottom cushion incline.
Distance from rear seatback to top of the front seat required: 30" for the Cybex, 30.5" for the Nuna.
Distance from front seatback to dashboard (using the Cybex for consistency):
1G TLX: 27"
2G TLX: 27.25"
A5 SB: 28.75"
Model 3: 29.25"
V60: 29"

Also, the official measurements for headroom is bogus. On the 1G TLX, the longest measurement I got was 35.25" against a claimed 36.7". On the 2G TLX, I got 35" against a claimed 36.3". On the A5 I got 37.5" against a claimed 37.4". On the V60 I got a whopping 40" against a claimed 38.1".

But, go ahead and tell me how my real world measurements are all wrong or that I'm making things up. I gave you the setup information; go and measure these yourself if you doubt the veracity of these real numbers.

Hopefully the above fits in with the Type S discussion at hand, since I'm just presenting real world numbers that could be helpful for any other parents looking at these cars.
you're making it up and no I don't believe you
You've made exaggerated claims and numbers up in the past and proven wrong.

Most (vast majority) use SAE J1100 standards for interior measurements. Here's a slightly older revision of the document.
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/...1100.2001.html

As for the official measurements being bogus, we're suppose to believe you over Acura, Audi, Volvo, Tesla?
Here's some of their spec's and numbers which are probably web scraped for Edmunds where I got my numbers which match.
https://www.acura.com/tlx/pricing-and-specs
https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo..._techdata.html
https://www.volvocars.com/us/compare-specs/v60/

When someone claims their measurements are correct and the manufacturers are wrong

Old 08-30-2021, 04:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F23A4
Sharp eye you have there seeing the strut front suspension and J35, I missed that

Last week on Instagram I saw a old piece of IT gear being used as a end table, I looked and realized it was a Cisco 6509 Catalyst switch. hopeless geek I am
Old 08-30-2021, 04:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
you're making it up and no I don't believe you
You've made exaggerated claims and numbers up in the past and proven wrong.

Most (vast majority) use SAE J1100 standards for interior measurements. Here's a slightly older revision of the document.
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/...1100.2001.html

As for the official measurements being bogus, we're suppose to believe you over Acura, Audi, Volvo, Tesla?
Here's some of their spec's and numbers which are probably web scraped for Edmunds where I got my numbers which match.
https://www.acura.com/tlx/pricing-and-specs
https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo..._techdata.html
https://www.volvocars.com/us/compare-specs/v60/

When someone claims their measurements are correct and the manufacturers are wrong
As I predicted. Go ahead and measure yourself to prove me wrong. I'm not going to waste my time taking photos for you that you're just going to claim are doctored. Pathetic.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:20 PM
AZ Community Team

As I predicted. Go ahead and measure yourself to prove me wrong. I'm not going to waste my time taking photos for you that you're just going to claim are doctored. Pathetic.
Yes I agree you are pathetic claiming your measurements are better than the vehicle manufacturers

Last edited by Legend2TL; 08-30-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Nope, just the clearest picture I saw on a quick look. The 2G TLX looks the same just not much in the way of good pictures. The engines weight is still Infront of the axle center line. That why its so nose heavy & naturally into major understeer. The prime reason that they had to go to a complex rear end to try to compensate.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-30-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Yes I agree you are pathetic claiming your measurements are better than the vehicle manufacturers
Nice comeback
Old 08-30-2021, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Sharp eye you have there seeing the strut front suspension and J35, I missed that

Last week on Instagram I saw a old piece of IT gear being used as a end table, I looked and realized it was a Cisco 6509 Catalyst switch. hopeless geek I am
Old 08-30-2021, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Hmmm, so what you're saying is Acura's 355hp must be better than Audi's 349hp because both are measured in the same exact way. Manufacturers never bend the truth right, especially not with non-linear hard to measure surfaces.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 08-30-2021 at 04:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-30-2021), Kense (08-31-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Nope, just the clearest picture I saw on a quick look. The 2G TLX looks the same just not much in the way of good pictures. The engines weight is still Infront of the axle center line. That why its so nose heavy & naturally into major understeer. The prime reason that they had to go to a complex rear end to try to compensate.
Maybe this Acura sports sedan add might help

Part thats not Performance-Focused is hanging the power package way out front.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:56 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Hmmm, so what you're saying is Acura's 355hp must be better than Audi's 349hp because both are measured in the same exact way. Manufacturers never bend the truth right, especially not with non-linear hard to measure surfaces.
No, you're saying that

As for making false HP claims Mazda was DOJ/FTC investigated for low HP numbers on the RX-8 which resulted in Mazda offering to buy back for full price to avoid further action from the feds.

It's OK to be over but not under
Old 08-30-2021, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Not when you like their numbers because they agree with you. Numbers only count where there is an industry standard for the numbers. Back in my TL days mounted 255 Yokohama's ES100's? Another guy had 275 IIRC Goodyear F1's. Both tires had that same footprint over a ruler because where the manufactures measured the sidewall to tread transition was different. When guys say will these 275's whatever fit I tell the to go to the Tire Rack physical measurements section of the tire they want & comparer it to the physical measurements of the tire they have & then the current tires clearances to the car.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:36 PM
Pro

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

handling seems promising in this video. Can wait to see what else p2r will do with the type s.

and I’m sure someone will find something negative/hateful to say…
Old 08-31-2021, 07:52 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Moderators say "No personal attacks"

Same people smashing the like button, same people breaking those rules.

Must be good living above the standards
Old 08-31-2021, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by djhtsx
handling seems promising in this video. Can wait to see what else p2r will do with the type s.

and I’m sure someone will find something negative/hateful to say
Best plan is not to be so defensive before anything even happens. If actually attacked then decide what to do about it.

Just curious as to what kind of event it was. Maybe just a fun run? Did not see any class ID on the car. Be nice to know what's its supposed to be competing against.

I am XP Race Tires, 5.0L, over 2200lbs. car weighs 2250lbs

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-31-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:09 PM
Safety Car

I wonder if these guys are going to get invited back to any Acura events...

Old 09-01-2021, 12:47 AM
Suzuka Master

I wonder if these guys are going to get invited back to any Acura events
BLACKLISTED
MarcoTLX (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:35 AM
Senior Moderator

"There's a limo on this road?"

Eh! Their comments arent's huge departure from the general concensus. Not sure I agree with 'misrepresenting as a Type S'; the Type S was never a ton more performance than the pedestrian version. (Hence my early prediction that the finished product wouldnt be anywhere near 400hp.)

That said, I think their commentary is fair and honest but not brutally so that the Ikeda gang should be offended.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:04 AM

Eh! Their comments arent's huge departure from the general concensus. Not sure I agree with 'misrepresenting as a Type S'; the Type S was never a ton more performance than the pedestrian version. (Hence my early prediction that the finished product wouldnt be anywhere near 400hp.)

That said, I think their commentary is fair and honest but not brutally so that the Ikeda gang should be offended.
They've come a long way from "The Beak" when reviewers get the thumbs up from random blokes on the sidewalk!

Old 09-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Think the Type-S legend has been built out of whole cloth by Acura's marketing for the current version. Those of us running TL 6MT's against the Type-S at the strip knew that it was not an automatic winner. Had more power but in full dress was heavier than a base TL 6MT. They were very, very close & within many drivers reaction times. The Type-S AT's were not competitive with the 6MT's of either base or S versions. IIRC. Can't remember they guys name but in the track section of the 3G forum he posted what I remember to be the quickest almost stock base 3G time. He had high traction tires in a base 6MT & after a summer of trying put the car into a 13.99 run. He knocked a bit off that but that was pretty much it.

By the time Jon's hype machine got done with it the car was a major powerhouse returning from the past to regain Acura's rightful place in the hierarchy of performance sedans. Problem was the 2007/8 Type-S were just fillers trying to stop the sales erosion at the end of the 3G product cycle.

Some other 6's in the group had already gone Turbo in 2007 & it was over for an N/A 6 to be at the top of the performance lists. Think the guy was pretty straight with his commentary. Its a very good car just not what many expected it to be.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 09-01-2021 at 01:25 PM.
F23A4 (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:18 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
Think the Type-S legend has been built out of whole cloth by Acura's marketing for the current version. Those of us running TL 6MT's against the Type-S at the strip knew that it was not an automatic winner. Had more power but in full dress was heavier than a base TL 6MT. They were very, very close & within many drivers reaction times. The Type-S AT's were not competitive with the 6MT's of either base or S versions. IIRC. Can't remember they guys name but in the track section of the 3G forum he posted what I remember to be the quickest almost stock base 3G time. He had high traction tires in a base 6MT & after a summer of trying put the car into a 13.99 run. He knocked a bit off that but that was pretty much it.

By the time Jon's hype machine got done with it the car was a major powerhouse returning from the past to regain Acura's rightful place in the hierarchy of performance sedans. Problem was the 2007/8 Type-S were just fillers trying to stop the sales erosion at the end of the 3G product cycle.

Some other 6's in the group had already gone Turbo in 2007 & it was over for an N/A 6 to be at the top of the performance lists. Think the guy was pretty straight with his commentary. Its a very good car just not what many expected it to be.
The original Type-S was only 76 lbs heavier than the stripped TL, most of the difference being the Nav system and brakes. That's only 2% heavier. In exchange the Type-S had 10% more horsepower, so all other things being equal the basic TL should have been a bit slower, but the difference is probably not much more than vehicle to vehicle or driver to driver variations.

The big different between 2007 and 2021 is expectation vs reality. When I bought my Type-S it was marketed as an improved,, higher performance TL offering more fun to drive. I don't recall any marketing positioning it as competition for BMWs, Jaguars or other European performance sedans. Most of the performance praise was coming from magazine road tests, one of which said the Type-S was actually 0.1 sec faster 0-60 than the original NSX, albeit noticeably slower in the 1/4 mile thanks to aerodynamics
Fast forward to two years ago when Acura started an avalanche of marketing positioning the new Type-S as a BMW/Audi etc. competitor. Culminating in a big launch at Laguna Seca touting its performance and including a race against an Audi. I was pumped and ready to buy. Until I saw and drove one for the first time.

Absent the over the top marketing I honestly think the new Type-S would have been reasonably well received by the Acura community and the general public of performance oriented drivers. Yeah, a few people like me would have been griping about lacking features found on lesser Honda/Acura products. But not so unhappy about performance. Acura set it up to fail by repeatedly and publicly comparing it to higher performing (yes, and more expensive) sports sedans. Then the dealers came along and poured gas on the fire by asking for high ADMs that moved it in the direction of the more expensive cars, many if not most of which can be had with discount below MSRP.

Last edited by mike03a3; 09-01-2021 at 04:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike03a3:
MarcoTLX (09-02-2021), robnalex (09-03-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S Reviews/Discussion