2021 TLX Owner's Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 08:09 PM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
‘I have extremely underwhelmed by the 1G TLX audio system, seems the 4G TL just sounded better, with more defined punchier bass.
After suffering with the god awful Honda Premium sound in an Accord, the 1G (2018) TLX ELS has quality sound, and fidelity adjustments really depend on the quality of music you play.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:42 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
45- 50 minutes is absurd; In my new ASPEC, as soon as the temp gauge, is 20% full, I press AUTO, & VOILA, HEAT, DEFROSTING, & 72*
Also, keep both my seats on AUTO; when the temp dips, it lights up RED; either 1, 2 , or 3 bars; when the temp is over about 50*, the ventilated seats light up BLUE
It's the best Climate Control system, I've encountered
Go to your dealer, if it's not functioning properly
Old 12-21-2020, 04:22 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
One more thing. On the drive back, it took nearly 45-50 minutes before the heat kicked in. Ambient temperature was barely over 30°F and the car was fairly fogged up, obscuring a lot of my side windows. My car's temperature gauge never quite reached the midway point. I'm wondering if there's an anti-freeze problem or something else?
Looks like climate control wasn't on "Auto". The words "AUTO" have to appear above "SYNC" (if enabled).

Sorry for the false alarm, guys!
Old 12-22-2020, 02:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Looks like climate control wasn't on "Auto". The words "AUTO" have to appear above "SYNC" (if enabled).

Sorry for the false alarm, guys!
Thank goodness.

These "easy to fix" problems are the best kind to have.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 07:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Thank goodness.

These "easy to fix" problems are the best kind to have.
I think what happened was when I put the car in recirculation mode while driving through Manhattan, it shut off AUTO. I rarely put it in recirc so I wasn't used to the consequence.

There must be some combination of recirc and something else that allows heat to enter the cabin, no?
Old 12-26-2020, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by izzle22
I am still not having any issues with CarPlay and my iPhone so it seems this is not a widespread issue. CarPlay works prefect for me every time.

What exactly is "double Sport mode"? My car only has regular sport mode.
My carplay was glitchy all day today (11 pro max) and it did not work until I shut my car off. The option for it was greyed out and not able to be selected amongst of course other little issues I've been having.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mikey319
My carplay was glitchy all day today (11 pro max) and it did not work until I shut my car off. The option for it was greyed out and not able to be selected amongst of course other little issues I've been having.
I find that if I leave the iPhone (or USB stick) plugged in before starting the car, I normally don't have the option "greyed out."
Old 12-29-2020, 01:30 AM
Instructor

I find that if I leave the iPhone (or USB stick) plugged in before starting the car, I normally don't have the option "greyed out."
Today it did it too. I find when I remote start it, that's when it happens most. I checked for updates on the system and there weren't any.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Agree - ELS is a huge highlight. Even when played loud, it's so clear and well defined that it doesn't become fatiguing.

Other pros:
- Various driver assistance aids are more non-intrusive and less annoying than my Lexus was. For example I am not tempted to disable RDM/LKAS, while in the Lexus I shut all that crap off.
- Even in comfort mode, power delivery is effortless, car feels nimble and powerful without feeling heavy or ponderous.
- Extremely comfortable seats.
- Averaging about 26 MPG. A bit better than expected.
- I am a stickler for being able to use Apple CP with my phone stored mostly or entirely away without cables hanging out from Hell to breakfast. Love the fact that the phone can rest on the charger pad and the USB can run out of sight into the armrest storage compartment. It should be federally mandated that USB/data connect points should always be in the armrest - or if they are in cubbies with closable doors, positioned in such a way that the door can be closed when there is a cable plugged in, and can also accommodate a standard size phone with the door closed. The Lexus ES 350 for instance - has the data USB port in a tiny cup-holder cubby with a closable door that you can't close when you use the port, and a phone slot that is too small for most phones - which is inexcusably sloppy design for a Lexus.

Cons:
- Averaging about 26 MPG compared to 45 in the Lexus. Oh well, you can't have everything. I'll get used to it.
- Road noise - while not terrible, it's there. Again, not a Lexus. Solution is to drown out with the ELS; which is fine since that sucker can conceivably drown out the sound of most nuclear detonations.
- Dealership experience is a step down from Lexus; but pretty much most dealership experiences are. I'll get used to that, too.
- There are very occasional dropouts when playing audio via Apple CP. Very brief. Experienced this in my 2016 Accord at times. Never in the Lexus. I have heard that Apple and Honda don't play super-nice with each other, so I was prepared for this. It usually happens once every few days. Just enough to be mildly annoying.
I am barely getting 21mpg. I only got 24.9mpg on my 230 mile drive home from the dealer. it was 90% highway and zero traffic in the city. I was very disappointed. I am taking it to get looked at for many issues amongst not even nearing the sticker MPG on the car as soon as I can get an appointment. It has had a few tanks of premium gas only already (720 miles). I have the SH-AWD Advance.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:46 AM
Drifting

I am barely getting 21mpg. I only got 24.9mpg on my 230 mile drive home from the dealer. it was 90% highway and zero traffic in the city. I was very disappointed. I am taking it to get looked at for many issues amongst not even nearing the sticker MPG on the car as soon as I can get an appointment. It has had a few tanks of premium gas only already (720 miles). I have the SH-AWD Advance.
Definitely something wrong. Even if your first tank was regular gas the worse that could happen is engine knock, right? Good luck and you may want to investigate lemon law in the state you purchased from!
Old 12-29-2020, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Might not apply but its something for you to look into. In any performance mode "SPORT" etc the top gears in my car are locked out by the computer. Since my individual settings are sport+ I have to remember to shift into "comfort" mode (apply Acura mode terminology) to get the top gas mileage gears on the interstate.

FWIW my top is 8th with the ZF & will run 30.6mpg at 78.5 mph over long 200 mile trips. Pretty consistant on a number of runs 200+ out & 200+ back. Car is a 6 cylinder 3.0L listed as 382BHP.

In sport that drops into the mid upper 20's for the exact same trip.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 12-29-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

One YouTube reviewer (that had it a while) said he was getting 19mpg city. I think 25mpg Hwy is about right.

To get better, I think you will have to drive like grandpa, stay-out of Sport Modes, and leave the Idle-Stop Enabled.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Definitely something wrong. Even if your first tank was regular gas the worse that could happen is engine knock, right? Good luck and you may want to investigate lemon law in the state you purchased from!
They swore up and down it was premium in there too. I am waiting for Acura to get back from recess to schedule a service appt. with whoever needs to see it. The dealer I got it from took my case number and said they will call them and push to get my car replaced. I hope they do and make right on this situation. This will be my third lemon in a row and I want to scream. Both of my brand new Maxima Platinum's were lemons. A 2017.5 and a 2018.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Might not apply but its something for you to look into. In any performance mode "SPORT" etc the top gears in my car are locked out by the computer. Since my individual settings are sport+ I have to remember to shift into "comfort" mode (apply Acura mode terminology) to get the top gas mileage gears on the interstate.

FWIW my top is 8th with the ZF & will run 30.6mpg at 78.5 mph over long 200 mile trips. Pretty consistant on a number of runs 200+ out & 200+ back. Car is a 6 cylinder 3.0L listed as 382BHP.

In sport that drops into the mid upper 20's for the exact same trip.
I have mine in normal/comfort at all times, start stop is always on and I drive very reserved during my engine break in. There is definitely something wrong with it. It's the 2.0T AWD.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Instructor

One YouTube reviewer (that had it a while) said he was getting 19mpg city. I think 25mpg Hwy is about right.

To get better, I think you will have to drive like grandpa, stay-out of Sport Modes, and leave the Idle-Stop Enabled.
I watched a youtuber get 29.4mpg on the highway in his review of the Advance SH-AWD. Mine has not been in sport mode and I haven't been doing any sudden or fast accelerations in it.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:54 PM
Drifting

They swore up and down it was premium in there too. I am waiting for Acura to get back from recess to schedule a service appt. with whoever needs to see it. The dealer I got it from took my case number and said they will call them and push to get my car replaced. I hope they do and make right on this situation. This will be my third lemon in a row and I want to scream. Both of my brand new Maxima Platinum's were lemons. A 2017.5 and a 2018.
3 lemons in a row?!!! Dude, maybe you should stop winning the ultra-low bids!
Old 12-29-2020, 06:02 PM
Instructor

3 lemons in a row?!!! Dude, maybe you should stop winning the ultra-low bids!
I worked at the dealer at the time hahaha. I had the car (2017.5) for 6 months, but it was constantly getting repairs/looked at. The sunroof would not stop rattling, it had body seam leaks (and previous repairs before I took it in my name) and other misc. things. Nissan bought it back. I got a brand new 2018 and that had nothing but issues too. Valve body on the trans, 2 replaced distance radar sensors, the windshield leaked (which is why I'm so mad the TLX has a windshield defect), constant rattles in the maxima, the steering wheel had to get replaced from a defect, and the seat when it was out of warranty started making a popping noise and I was quoted $3k for it to get fixed and I declined. This is why I am so mad and upset that a $50,000 luxury car is giving me almost more issues than the maxima. I have been through hell with cars these last 3 years and I simply just wanted a reliable problem free car for once in my life.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:06 PM
Instructor

I worked at the dealer at the time hahaha. I had the car (2017.5) for 6 months, but it was constantly getting repairs/looked at. The sunroof would not stop rattling, it had body seam leaks (and previous repairs before I took it in my name) and other misc. things. Nissan bought it back. I got a brand new 2018 and that had nothing but issues too. Valve body on the trans, 2 replaced distance radar sensors, the windshield leaked (which is why I'm so mad the TLX has a windshield defect), constant rattles in the maxima, the steering wheel had to get replaced from a defect, and the seat when it was out of warranty started making a popping noise and I was quoted $3k for it to get fixed and I declined. This is why I am so mad and upset that a $50,000 luxury car is giving me almost more issues than the maxima. I have been through hell with cars these last 3 years and I simply just wanted a reliable problem free car for once in my life.
And before the Maxima, I had started financing a CPO 2014 Altims 3.5SL with 21k miles on it. I had it for 3 months. The valve body had to get replaced on that and the AC Drain plug became clogged and all of the condensation started backflowing into the car and it literally flooded inside and molded. I made sure the dealer took that back, and that is when I got into that first Maxima lease.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:13 PM
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 121 Posts

Not a Grandpa, but definitely drive like one at times. Maximizing fuel economy is a trait I think that's in my genetic makeup. Constantly wars with my liking for a sporty vehicle. I have the FWD A-Spec. Have been managing about 28-29 mpg, mostly suburban driving. Leaving AS/S mode on, even though I am growing to kind of dislike it. Unsettling to have it shut off at stop lights. Just seems unnatural. Mostly keeping it in comfort mode, and just putting it in sport mode for highway on-ramps and the occasional "show-off moments" to various friends and relatives. Those are fun, I have gotten a couple of "Holeeeee shiiiiiit!" outbursts.
Mikey319 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flapjackura
Not a Grandpa, but definitely drive like one at times. Maximizing fuel economy is a trait I think that's in my genetic makeup. Constantly wars with my liking for a sporty vehicle. I have the FWD A-Spec. Have been managing about 28-29 mpg, mostly suburban driving. Leaving AS/S mode on, even though I am growing to kind of dislike it. Unsettling to have it shut off at stop lights. Just seems unnatural. Mostly keeping it in comfort mode, and just putting it in sport mode for highway on-ramps and the occasional "show-off moments" to various friends and relatives. Those are fun, I have gotten a couple of "Holeeeee shiiiiiit!" outbursts.
Yeah I have been doing extreme reserved driving hahaha so that's why even with the AWD I am so shocked to be getting only 20-21mpg average with mostly highway driving. I'm used to the Auto start stop from working at dealers and moving cars around that have it. I do turn it off sometimes like when I am looking for a parking spot and it keeps shutting off haha. But other than that, it is on. My maxima, a V6 I could get 35-37mpg with cruise control on roads like 50-60mph. With this car I could only dream of seeing that. I can't wait to get it looked at, because this car is just a mess.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I have mine in normal/comfort at all times, start stop is always on and I drive very reserved during my engine break in. There is definitely something wrong with it. It's the 2.0T AWD.
Gotta be something wrong. Am running consistently high speeds & still getting over 30MPG. Have over 100BHP more than you A

BTW you can't knock down a 79mph average over a 200 mile + trip by only going 79 mph.

A lot of us gramps have been driving high performance cars before many of you were born. Any one wishes to challenge Bear-AvHistory AKA Gramps to a run have at it.
Mikey319 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Gotta be something wrong. Am running consistently high speeds & still getting over 30MPG. Have over 100BHP more than you A

BTW you can't knock down a 79mph average over a 200 mile + trip by only going 79 mph.

A lot of us gramps have been driving high performance cars before many of you were born. Any one wishes to challenge Bear-AvHistory AKA Gramps to a run have at it.
yeah there is definitely something wrong no doubt. I wanted to get the JB4 Tuner for it but I’ve held off until it’s broken in, but I don’t even want to try and do that on this specific car with this many issues already. Im glad to know at least I’m not crazy in that something is def wrong 🥴. I’m doing highway speed anout 70-85. But even when I’m going a constant 45-50mph I’m not even getting 29. Tires are filled to spec and it has Costco 93 octane in it.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:14 PM
Drifting

yeah there is definitely something wrong no doubt. I wanted to get the JB4 Tuner for it but I’ve held off until it’s broken in, but I don’t even want to try and do that on this specific car with this many issues already. Im glad to know at least I’m not crazy in that something is def wrong 🥴. I’m doing highway speed anout 70-85. But even when I’m going a constant 45-50mph I’m not even getting 29. Tires are filled to spec and it has Costco 93 octane in it.
Which tires did they give you?
Old 12-29-2020, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Which tires did they give you?
Michelin Primacy 19”
Old 12-29-2020, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Advance SH-AWD. Mine has not been in sport mode and I haven't been doing any sudden or fast accelerations in it.
Seriously?

To tell ya the truth, I find myself driving kinda fast now-days. At first, I thought I was going 50, but it was really more like 75. I drive so little now-days with COVID19, why should I even try to save gas? Gas is dirt cheap here in Texas (even Premium). We took a (country drive) road-trip to the lake ... without even trying, my A5 got 26 MPG (Combined is 27) so I thought good enough.

Since we are talking ICE vehicles, I won't mention Q5-e MPG.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Seriously?

To tell ya the truth, I find myself driving kinda fast now-days. At first, I thought I was going 50, but it was really more like 75. I drive so little now-days with COVID19, why should I even try to save gas? Gas is dirt cheap here in Texas (even Premium). We took a (country drive) road-trip to the lake ... without even trying, my A5 got 26 MPG (Combined is 27) so I thought good enough.

Since we are talking ICE vehicles, I won't mention Q5-e MPG.
Yes. That is why I am very surprised especially after seeing people getting much higher but driving more aggressive. I don't even want to know what it will be like if I drive how I usually do. I am breaking the engine in first before I do any of that though. I drive everyday and work 6 days a week, so I do want to try and save on gas lol. Premium is like $2.80 here. Audi is my favorite brand and I was trying to get the 2021 A4, but the payment was too much.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe 25hwy but pretty sure that other YT guy just got 19city.

Breakin is good (I'm tryin too). Unleaded is $1.60 here. Premium is $1.90 (like I said, cheap).

I think maybe you like leasing, so yeah, Audis "lease poorly" (or so people say). Ours didn't, but that's another story. I bought/financed my A5. Not cheap, but fairly priced (with the discounts and incentives we negotiated). 2021 A4 sedans (Nicely equipped, 45 TFSI, just sitting on lots) are still kinda rare around here.
Mikey319 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Maybe 25hwy but pretty sure that other YT guy got 19city.

Breakin is good (I'm tryin too). Unleaded is $1.60 here. Premium is $1.90 (like I said, cheap).

I think maybe you like leasing, so yeah, Audis "lease poorly" (or so people say). Ours didn't, but that's another story. I bought/financed my A5. Not cheap, but fairly priced and got some discounts and incentives. 2021 A4 sedans (Nicely equipped, 45 TFSI, just sitting on lots) are still kinda rare around here.
i was basing it off of the one video I linked Bc he tested it in about the same temperature I’m at right now and it’s the exact advance awd and same tires I have.

Yeah it depends on the Model for leasing them. The residuals and rebates weren’t good right now on the A4, or I would have gotten that. damn I wish premium was that cheap here hahahaha! But the fact that my average with mainly highway driving is barely above the city average is what is concerning.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:11 AM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Im getting 20 mpg, 99% city so far, until I go back to work. Quick observation whenever I start to approach the highway, I love to accelerate. These tires don't stick, they constantly chirp, spin as I accelerate thru the first 5 gears "im basically floored.. Bummer, Im in Florida so, I would have loved the car to come with tires that are able to stick.
Anyone else think the tires blow? for traction?
Old 12-30-2020, 06:11 AM
Drifting

Don’t expect fuel economy for any car when you’re doing 70-85 mph. The fuel econ zone for most cars is in the 55-60 mph range.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:39 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dio
Im getting 20 mpg, 99% city so far, until I go back to work. Quick observation whenever I start to approach the highway, I love to accelerate. These tires don't stick, they constantly chirp, spin as I accelerate thru the first 5 gears "im basically floored.. Bummer, Im in Florida so, I would have loved the car to come with tires that are able to stick.
The tires have been critically panned. Change them out if you have the means. I normally don’t increase investment on a lease and have yet to buy out a car at the end of one.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dio
whenever I start to approach the highway, I love to accelerate. These tires don't stick, they constantly chirp, spin as I accelerate thru the first 5 gears "im basically floored.. Bummer, Im in Florida so, I would have loved the car to come with tires that are able to stick.
Several of the reviews mentioned it . Similar experience and they all blame the tires.
Is yours FWD or SH-AWD? Also, what 19-inch tires did you get?
I sure liked that white color.

If you are serious about buying a new set, start a new thread and we can make some suggestions and help you pick a set that should work better.

Last edited by Tesla1856; 12-30-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:21 PM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
FWD, Bridgestone Turanza. what do guys recommend. I assume sticky summer tread.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dio
Those should be appropriate for a FWD sedan.
Are you sure they are properly inflated? If so, maybe try running them 1-2psi lower. That should be fine if just you and/or 1 other passenger in the car.

I'm running Bridgestone Potenza 255/35-R19-96Y summer-tires on my A5-Coupe, but it is AWD and configured with a special/lowered Audi sport-suspension option. Plus, I'm in Texas (little to no snow) and hardly ever does it get below 30f.

The 2020 Corvette Stingray comes with "Michelin All-Season Pilot Sport 4" tires. Maybe you would like a set of those? Get them in the exact same-size as your current ones. Speed-Rating can be higher if you want.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Don’t expect fuel economy for any car when you’re doing 70-85 mph. The fuel econ zone for most cars is in the 55-60 mph range.
Even at that range I am not getting 29mpg
Old 12-31-2020, 07:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,237 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Originally Posted by dio
I strongly recommend going over to TireRack.com and using their test results as well as user reviews.
Most of the time I don't even buy tires there (Amazon vendors have gotten competitive).

FWIW, the Turanza's are awful OEM tires from Bridgestone. OEM on everything from a 2005 TL to a Toyota Siena Minivan to a BMW 7-series.

Below are the tires TireRack carry for your TLX

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S
The following 3 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
BEAR-AvHistory (01-01-2021), Edward'TLS (12-31-2020), F23A4 (01-04-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 04:44 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I strongly recommend going over to TireRack.com and using their test results as well as user reviews.
Most of the time I don't even buy tires there (Amazon vendors have gotten competitive).

FWIW, the Turanza's are awful OEM tires from Bridgestone. OEM on everything from a 2005 TL to a Toyota Siena Minivan to a BMW 7-series.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S
Agree. Tirerack has all the tires categorized for you in different performance levels. Save us from lots of work to choose them.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

Good plan. I always check Tire Rack to see what is available & how they compare. Some are bought from them but also use Amazon, got the NITTO NT01 Cobra track tires there, also the local tire chain outlets as some will price match & throw in free install.

Was shocked absolutely shocked when during an annual state inspection my BMW dealer turned up a damaged tire & wanted to change it. Told him thanks but would go to Tire Rack. He logged onto Tire Rack's site & matched the price.

As I live below the snow belt I look to Maximum Performance Summer tires except for trucks & SUV's.
Legend2TL (01-05-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dio
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tlx-...es-tlx-991320/
Old 01-03-2021, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Strange AcuraWatch Issues

Experienced some strange stuff this morning. I soon as I left my house this morning, it started to snow. Just a couple flurries but enough to freeze up the road and make it semi-dangerous to drive. As As I was 10 min away from my destination, I got a notice that the radar element was blocked. I figured it had iced up in front of the grill and the snow/ice wasn't coming off on its own. No big deal, I thought and finally arrived. After parking the car, I confirmed an iced up radar and wiped off as much as I could before entering the building.

When I got into the car again and drove off, the radar message was gone so I thought that was that. After a few minutes I arrived at a stoplight and stopped the car. All of a sudden, I got an alert for imminent impact which gave both a visual of which corner as well as an annoying alarm. I wasn't moving and there was nothing in front of the car. As soon as I left the light, the warning disappeared. This happened at least 3 times before I got home (always at a stoplight). I'm just hoping my radar was not damaged.

It's frustrating that the radar iced up after just a couple of flurries. Winter's only just started... Has anyone else have this happen to them?

Quick Reply: 2021 TLX Owner's Thread