2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
I don't know why people are dancing on the future grave of the G70. US sales figures of the TLX aren't good. They actually fell below G70 numbers in August ... and now there's no "parts shortage" excuse to fall back on. If the G70 is headed to the grave, the TLX is not far behind.
The difference is the TLX is the Acura flagship sedan, that is not the case for the G70. I think as long they are moving G80s and G90s Genesis will be happy. They tried to sale the 3.3T G70 as a direct competitor to the M340 and S4, which while closer than the TypeS the G70 wasn't. The TypeS was never intended as a direct competitor (however with 370-380 hp and torque, it could have been considering SH-AWD). Sedan numbers are unfortunately going to be low, but as long as corporate is happy, then the car will remain.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
MoM is difficult to judge and compare. TLX sold over 4K units more YTD. Hyundai already “announced” the death of G70. TLX MMC is on its way

Now to be fair, you take TLX or G70, unfortunately sedans are not doing well. People are going towards suvs. Last but not least, when you see the sales numbers of Teggy. It just gives you that wow factor! A car that isn’t cheap, very close to Civic and yet it’s killing it compared to the competition.
The MMC isn't going to fix the most glaring complaints of the TLX. MoM doesn't matter. The absolute numbers are pretty abysmal save for a handful of months.

Originally Posted by 22TypeS
The difference is the TLX is the Acura flagship sedan, that is not the case for the G70. I think as long they are moving G80s and G90s Genesis will be happy. They tried to sale the 3.3T G70 as a direct competitor to the M340 and S4, which while closer than the TypeS the G70 wasn't. The TypeS was never intended as a direct competitor (however with 370-380 hp and torque, it could have been considering SH-AWD). Sedan numbers are unfortunately going to be low, but as long as corporate is happy, then the car will remain.
Being a flagship doesn't mean much. Acura already killed off the RLX. There are rumors that Lexus is killing off the LS.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the current gen TLX do an extended run and then get axed.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Any car dealerships in Oakland, Richmond, etc?
I'm not sure what that means. Of course a Major city like Oakland, with over 400,000 people Professional sports teams and with a median household income of nearly 90K has car dealerships, including Mercedes. It is not one Gigantic Slum, there are hundreds of millionaires all throughout Oakland. Also yes Oakland has an Auto Row. Richmond Also has Many dealers in their hilltop area. Ironically Weatherford BMW is in in the South Berkeley Waterfront area which is the most crime ridden area of Berkeley.

Last edited by Kense; 09-07-2023 at 06:28 PM.
ELIN (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 531 Likes on 341 Posts
The G70 was on my list for vehicles when it first came out but then once inside it quickly became evident that it wasn't going to work for me, as the interior dimensions were tight and the B pillar was in my way badly (mostly on ingress/egress). The G80 was a better fit but then that was too big for what I wanted and needed at the time.

I don't know why people are dancing on the future grave of the G70. US sales figures of the TLX aren't good. They actually fell below G70 numbers in August ... and now there's no "parts shortage" excuse to fall back on. If the G70 is headed to the grave, the TLX is not far behind.
Head scratcher for me too and I have enjoyed the fuzzy math being used over the last few months. If you have a business and are supposed to sell 100 items and only sell 5, sure it looks great when you start selling 10 but you're still not doing so well.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Received 1,231 Likes on 890 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
I'm not sure what that means. Of course a Major city like Oakland, with over 400,000 people Professional sports teams and with a median household income of nearly 90K has car dealerships, including Mercedes. It is not one Gigantic Slum, there are hundreds of millionaires all throughout Oakland. Also yes Oakland has an Auto Row. Richmond Also has Many dealers in their hilltop area. Ironically Weatherford BMW is in in the South Berkeley Waterfront area which is the most crime ridden area of Berkeley.
I haven't been in the area in about 20 years, well before the Google money came in. Good to hear that things have improved.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts
I haven't been in the area in about 20 years, well before the Google money came in. Good to hear that things have improved.
The area is still sketchy. There may be "luxury apartments" that have been built, but the muggings, shootings, carjackings, etc. have not dropped. It may look nicer, but it's still rough. The area around Lake Merritt is a bedhaven for crime. Seems like every other day there's a shooting there.
ELIN (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 10:02 PM
Pro

Received 535 Likes on 263 Posts
Every thread about sales you jump in and comment that TLX is also about to get axed. Weird obsession and yet you're still here in TLX section posting all the time 😂.
The following 4 users liked this post by dmski:
bilirubin (09-08-2023), F23A4 (09-09-2023), Legend2TL (09-14-2023), Tony Pac (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 07:55 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,587 Likes on 955 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
Every thread about sales you jump in and comment that TLX is also about to get axed. Weird obsession and yet you're still here in TLX section posting all the time 😂.
hahah! Great observation!

bilirubin (09-08-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,661 Likes on 927 Posts
....can only stay under the bridge for so long.
The following 2 users liked this post by F23A4:
bilirubin (09-09-2023), Legend2TL (09-14-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts

Now to be fair, you take TLX or G70, unfortunately sedans are not doing well. People are going towards suvs. Last but not least, when you see the sales numbers of Teggy. It just gives you that wow factor! A car that isn’t cheap, very close to Civic and yet it’s killing it compared to the competition.
my concern is companies not trying any more with sedans. The new Accord is honestly one of the most disappointing releases in Hondas history. Buick would be ashamed to release a car that looks that boring, and chopping the proper 2.0T is an awful decision. If im looking to spend $40,000 canadian on a car right now it would be so far behind the competition it would not be in the running. They have removed the sportiness that has made the model so successful. A Kia K5 GT with 290HP TOPS OUT at the same price as the 205hp Accord Starts at! I dont get it. The Accord is selling fine for now as its brand new but i forsee its sales drying up quickly in its cycle and the reasoning the company comes up for it is “people dont buy sedans anymore” rather then they just released a really weak model.
The following 2 users liked this post by sombasol:
22TypeS (09-09-2023), a35tl (09-11-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sombasol
my concern is companies not trying any more with sedans. The new Accord is honestly one of the most disappointing releases in Hondas history. Buick would be ashamed to release a car that looks that boring, and chopping the proper 2.0T is an awful decision. If im looking to spend $40,000 canadian on a car right now it would be so far behind the competition it would not be in the running. They have removed the sportiness that has made the model so successful. A Kia K5 GT with 290HP TOPS OUT at the same price as the 205hp Accord Starts at! I dont get it. The Accord is selling fine for now as its brand new but i forsee its sales drying up quickly in its cycle and the reasoning the company comes up for it is “people dont buy sedans anymore” rather then they just released a really weak model.
Couldn't agree more. Just remember a Civic a couple of generations ago that was so bad when released, it got major cycle upgrade after one year (unheard of) and that helped it out, until the next generation. Is there really that much energy savings from deleting the 2.0T?

Last edited by 22TypeS; 09-09-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 05:27 PM
Drifting

Is there really that much energy savings from deleting the 2.0T?
You're kidding right? That 2.0T was cut in order to avoid cannibalizing TLX sales!
Old 09-09-2023, 06:52 PM
Pro

Received 535 Likes on 263 Posts
Toyota is about to drop the new Gen Camry and based on the rumours leaked to date this new Gen will slaughter the Accord in looks and power train. I agree with you that the new Accord is a F**KN bore with lame engines. Of course Honda will cry and blame dropping sedan sales. Emergency overhaul may be required just to stay relevant.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:02 PM
Instructor

You're kidding right? That 2.0T was cut in order to avoid cannibalizing TLX sales!
You're kidding right? The Accord is so decontented (no Homelink!) that you have to buy a TLX just to get routine options.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:13 PM
Drifting

You're kidding right? The Accord is so decontented (no Homelink!) that you have to buy a TLX just to get routine options.
The Accord Sport/Touring 2.0 made mincemeat of the TLX 2.0 before the Accord redesign. You better believe folks would line up to buy that 2.0T if the option presented itself now (w/or w/o Homelink). Homelink is so overrated that you can't even find it in the Integra!
Old 09-09-2023, 09:25 PM
Instructor

The Accord Sport/Touring 2.0 made mincemeat of the TLX 2.0 before the Accord redesign. You better believe folks would line up to buy that 2.0T if the option presented itself now (w/or w/o Homelink). Homelink is so overrated that you can't even find it in the Integra!
Oh, I know about V6 and 2.0T Accords, I surprised many unknowing cars with my 2011 V6 Accord (even TLX 2.0s), definitely a stealth runner. I've had Homelink on my cars for I don't know how long, it should not even be an option, but standard.
1994 Legend Coupe MK II motor; 1991 Legend Coupe
1987 Integra (Charter Acura Owner)
a35tl (09-11-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 531 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
hahah! Great observation!
Originally Posted by F23A4
....can only stay under the bridge for so long.
There's not enough owners to keep this thread alive so you should be thankful for these folks, as at least they still have interest in talking about the car...it's clear that the public has no real interest in buying it

The new Accord wasn't designed to be sporty, though, and I think there's a lot of reasons for that: 1) to try to throw Acura a lifeline 2) to up the fuel efficiency game and be more competitive with Toyota. I do think that Honda needs a reality check, though, and they are charging a premium for an image of what they were vs what is...too many people I know have had issues with their Honda's over the last few years so reliability isn't what it used to be.
JDM_809 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh, I know about V6 and 2.0T Accords, I surprised many unknowing cars with my 2011 V6 Accord (even TLX 2.0s), definitely a stealth runner. I've had Homelink on my cars for I don't know how long, it should not even be an option, but standard.
1994 Legend Coupe MK II motor; 1991 Legend Coupe
1987 Integra (Charter Acura Owner)
No doubt, my 16 AV6 Touring would have shredded my 21 A-Spec prior to it's tune. As for the 10G 2.0T, it should definitely trump (can I say that?) the TLX 2.0T in straightline performance as well as passenger utility. But that (along with stereo interface) is where the advantage ends. Both serve their purposes well though. I definitely agree that Honda went the route of decontenting Honda offerings in favor of the Acura lineup and IMO it's not a good look.

All that said, I do see A TON of new Accords here on the roads of central NJ immediately after it's release to the public. Honestly, it took well into the 2019 model year before I started to see the Accord X with similar regularity. From a volume standpoint (and at least here in the northeast, given the number of new Accords I saw on my trip to DC and back last weekend), it seems like Honda made the right move much to the chagrin of us who have been into the brand for quite some time.

As I suspect this could be the last generation Accord, I would love to see an SE-i model featuring a 2.0T.
ESHBG (09-10-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The area is still sketchy. There may be "luxury apartments" that have been built, but the muggings, shootings, carjackings, etc. have not dropped. It may look nicer, but it's still rough. The area around Lake Merritt is a bedhaven for crime. Seems like every other day there's a shooting there.
LOL Complete and total exaggeration. First of all that car dealership is Near Kaiser and the Wealthy area of Piedmont. It's not a Sketchy at all unless you're just terrified of a city. Also Lake Merritt is not a "bedhaven" for crime. Deep East Oakland yes, Lower Bottoms West Oakland yes. Lake Merritt. No.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

LOL Complete and total exaggeration. First of all that car dealership is Near Kaiser and the Wealthy area of Piedmont. It's not a Sketchy at all unless you're just terrified of a city. Also Lake Merritt is not a "bedhaven" for crime. Deep East Oakland yes, Lower Bottoms West Oakland yes. Lake Merritt. No.
Exaggeration my ass. Break-ins around Lake Merritt happen all th time, particulary around Grand, and shootings/stabbings are common especially around Lakeshore Ave.

Just because East Oakland is worse doesn't mean the Lake Merritt area is safe.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Exaggeration my ass. Break-ins around Lake Merritt happen all th time, particulary around Grand, and shootings/stabbings are common especially around Lakeshore Ave.

Just because East Oakland is worse doesn't mean the Lake Merritt area is safe.
Excuse me but do you live in Oakland? I do, Break ins are not " Shootings" Most major cities have car break ins. You said there are shootings every other day around lake shore. San Francisco has far more car break-ins. There are not common stabbings or shootings around Lakeshore, that's complete BS suburban Karen mom I'm so scared of Oakland non sense.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Break-ins around Lake Merritt must happening due to Acura TLX smaller back seat, less than 400HP, cost over $50K USD and 0-60 being greater than 4.5 second...I am sure the instability is caused by Honda and Acura hahahahaah!

They need more Genesis dealership and buyers to clean up the area and make it luxurious! Once again, damn, Acura for messing up a city. LMAO!
Old 09-11-2023, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Break-ins around Lake Merritt must happening due to Acura TLX smaller back seat, less than 400HP, cost over $50K USD and 0-60 being greater than 4.5 second...I am sure the instability is caused by Honda and Acura hahahahaah!

They need more Genesis dealership and buyers to clean up the area and make it luxurious! Once again, damn, Acura for messing up a city. LMAO!
Old 09-14-2023, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

LOL I'm wondering how the Oakland attacks even started. It's ridiculous, my 110 pound Korean wife walks around Lake Merritt with her friends after work and has not been shot yet! She also drives a 2016 TLX OMG!!!!!
Tony Pac (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 08:42 AM
AZ Community Team

LOL I'm wondering how the Oakland attacks even started. It's ridiculous, my 110 pound Korean wife walks around Lake Merritt with her friends after work and has not been shot yet! She also drives a 2016 TLX OMG!!!!!
Glad everyone is safe....Can we give credit to Acura or Audi here? lol
Old 09-16-2023, 07:17 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 289 Likes on 150 Posts
Maybe they cut the 2.0 in an attempt to improve the fleet mpg. All the SUVs must be making it hard to hit the targets.
22TypeS (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 01:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mike03a3
Maybe they cut the 2.0 in an attempt to improve the fleet mpg. All the SUVs must be making it hard to hit the targets.
If that’s true, I rather get rid of the entire Passport line whose fuel econ is way more damaging than a single trim from a sedan.

Why do we need a car b/w the CRV and the Pilot?!!!
Old 09-17-2023, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

If that’s true, I rather get rid of the entire Passport line whose fuel econ is way more damaging than a single trim from a sedan.

Why do we need a car b/w the CRV and the Pilot?!!!
Probably an attempt to capture some of that Outback/Sorento/Santa Fe market, and with the faux-offroading marketing maybe some small slice of the 4Runner or JGC market.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:47 PM
Drifting

Probably an attempt to capture some of that Outback/Sorento/Santa Fe market, and with the faux-offroading marketing maybe some small slice of the 4Runner or JGC market.
No Acura based on Passport though. Not a target market for the premium brand is telling.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

No Acura based on Passport though. Not a target market for the premium brand is telling.
A premium/luxury adventurey offroadery car is a pretty small and niche market. Cars like the Defender, GX, etc. fit the mold but the sales numbers are way too low for Acura to target at this point. They don't even have anything in the hot subcompact premium space; to instead target a very niche segment would be one of the dumbest moves they could make.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ELIN (09-17-2023), F23A4 (09-18-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 234 Likes on 99 Posts
i know im digging this up from the depths but i read this today and had to post it here so people are aware. Dont expect homelink to be on Honda/Acuras going forward, this system looks to be replacing it.

Honda and Acura add garage door control to Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
lauren01 (10-22-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
i know im digging this up from the depths but i read this today and had to post it here so people are aware. Dont expect homelink to be on Honda/Acuras going forward, this system looks to be replacing it.

Honda and Acura add garage door control to Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
Any car with Android Auto or CarPlay will have this capability. Having homelink is better in every way.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhb31:
Pens Fan (10-14-2023), Tesla1856 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 07:36 AM
AZ Community Team

I was surprised when I saw Intergra didn’t have tbh. But now everything is clear.

Love the new feature and at first I was upset about the subscription, but after readying it’s nothing significant.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 334 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mike03a3
They cut the 2.0T because it only accounted for something like 8% of sales according to them and out of that 8% how many couldn't care less about the engine and just happened to get it by going with the Touring model?

The Accord enthusiasts who bought them for their performance, tuning, and 'sleeper' characteristics weren't buying them new and that was a problem for Honda, pair that with the march towards EV's and higher demand for hybridization and good fuel economy in a $6 dollar a gallon gas world, especially in the I just need a commuter car world where the Accord finds most of its shoppers, and it all only makes sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by DubPK:
MarcoTLX (10-17-2023), Tony Pac (10-17-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 09:25 AM
AZ Community Team

I watched this video last night. Regardless of their opinion and final conclusion. I think it's a good video. And those who are in the market to buy the Stinger, hurry up before you miss your chance. The car is already AXED! I saw one for sale in Montreal the other day. I believe if you don't care for premium material, Stinger is a better looking car than Genesis G70.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

I watched this video last night. Regardless of their opinion and final conclusion. I think it's a good video. And those who are in the market to buy the Stinger, hurry up before you miss your chance. The car is already AXED! I saw one for sale in Montreal the other day. I believe if you don't care for premium material, Stinger is a better looking car than Genesis G70.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnstJUrsRXI
In an alternate universe where Acura created the Stinger and Kia created the TLX, I suspect sales of the Acura Stinger would be even higher than the TLX in our universe. That damn Kia badge (and dealership experience) really killed that car.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ELIN (10-19-2023), ESHBG (10-19-2023), TLXinTX (10-20-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
I owned a 2019 Stinger GT1 for about a year. Overall it was a good and fun car, but it had a lot of quality issues that really nagged me, and several UX issues that annoyed me to no end. The car was gorgeous though, and garnered more compliments, comments, and questions than any other car I've owned, including a modded Mustang GT and a purple BMW coupe.
ESHBG (10-19-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 12:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cwatt79
I owned a 2019 Stinger GT1 for about a year. Overall it was a good and fun car, but it had a lot of quality issues that really nagged me, and several UX issues that annoyed me to no end. The car was gorgeous though, and garnered more compliments, comments, and questions than any other car I've owned, including a modded Mustang GT and a purple BMW coupe.
What kind of UX issues did you have? I always felt the Koreans did a pretty good job with UX, but maybe it's because I haven't had enough seat time for nagging issues to start eating away at me.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

It's interesting people think the Stinger looks good, I think it's hideous and way too big looking. The TLX blows it away in looks.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kense:
a35tl (10-23-2023), bilirubin (10-19-2023), F23A4 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-19-2023, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
What kind of UX issues did you have? I always felt the Koreans did a pretty good job with UX, but maybe it's because I haven't had enough seat time for nagging issues to start eating away at me.
I would hope and asume that the issues I had have been fixed with updates and improvements in the model years since then. The most annoying thing involved its ADAS. I'm a big user of adaptive cruise and lane keeping assist, but this car drove me mad. When you were on a straight road and not inputting any steering, and you inevitably get the "steering required" message, it would play an audible triple beep through the speakers. Same thing if you started to veer even remotely close to a lane marker - audible triple beep. My commute is all highway, so it would be an almost constant orchestra of beeps as I cruised down the road, and it was maddening. Even if I had LKAS and ACC disabled, it still beeped at me. As you probably know, in Acuras and Hondas, you get a message on the MID and a shake of the steering wheel as the first warning, a far superior, inobtrusive system. I would never buy a Hyundai/Kia/Genesis again if they didn't change this. I know their ADAS have undergone several iterations since then and is now highly regarded.

Another example is that radio presets could not be reordered. I use SiriusXM exclusively, and the radio presets showed up in numerical order only. Pretty silly and also pretty frustrating.

Another was the keyless access. This was a $49k car in 2019, and the door handles were not touch sensitive. You had to press a physical button on the outside of the door to unlock it before pulling the handle.

These all probably seem like tiny things, and they mostly are, but lots of small annoyances and quality issues really ended up tarnishing my time with an otherwise great car.
ESHBG (10-19-2023)

Quick Reply: 2021/2022 TLX versus the Competition