9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
*LMAO* Well, I wouldn't have done that to you cause I would have had my own....Damn Acura and their inability to get me to buy my TL's replacement as another Acura.

I'll be back...
Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Bell_1821
I wanted to let you guys/gals know that I sold my 15 TLX because of this issue. Dealer couldn't resolve the issue and said it was "Normal operation". I now am driving around in a smooth shifting Lexus ES 350.

Good Luck to those that continue to have issues.
Please do everyone a favor and go to Acura's Facebook page and post this.

Heck, just post a link to this thread... lol.

Last edited by Rocketsfan; 01-07-2016 at 09:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
1Louder (01-08-2016), weather (01-09-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Drifting

Well, I got my car back. It's still driving "imperfectly". I guess I should drive it for a few more miles while it "learns" my driving habits. lol. Yeah, right - I'm sure that'll solve everything. I had the service rep try to tell me the whole "that's the way it is" b.s. I calmly walked away from my desk at work and into another area where I could tear into Acura a bit. Unfortunately I wasn't at home where I could unleash like I wanted to. I did enough that he passed me onto their service poobah, whatever his title was. I really couldn't care less. They apparently drove around with a higher-up with another glorious title who said it was "normal", so the best tech in all the known universe (the way he was built up) looked at it, changed some stuff, did this to that, that to this, etc. Long story short, they want high marks when the survey comes in. lol.

Does anybody really get these surveys in email or the mail? I don't seem to get those. I only get the people from Maryland or wherever that call me to ask about how the dealership was. Despite what the dealership wants, my answer will pretty much be "the dealership can't fix the crappy transmission Acura has put in the car, so I don't know how you want me to answer this". Last time on 2 different occasions, I told them that and the survey didn't even make it past question #1, and the 2nd occasion, I don't think they wanted to continue.

Please call me again, Acura. I'll let you know what kind of "thrill" it is.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
^ I can't stand the "it's normal" reply. In this case normal is a relative thing, not an absolute measure. If the car only had one gear it would be "normal" to be unable to drive faster than say 20 mph. Because that would be "normal" does not mean it's acceptable.

As for the survey, when I got the phone call I answered the question in the affirmative, which was basically did the dealership do a good job. Because I said yes, I got the on-line survey. There's a few places to tear into them with the on-line survey, because you get asked if the problem you went in for got fixed and you can say "no". That gives you a text box to explain why. At the end, you get three great questions about whether you are satisfied with the brand, proud to be an Acura owner and would you buy again. Another good "no" opportunity that will give you a text box to rant further.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bell_1821
I wanted to let you guys/gals know that I sold my 15 TLX because of this issue. Dealer couldn't resolve the issue and said it was "Normal operation". I now am driving around in a smooth shifting Lexus ES 350.

Good Luck to those that continue to have issues.
Did you take much of a hit selling the 2015 TLX?
Old 01-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Acura clearly is in denial and my guess is only the worst cases are getting replaced. My 9/15 build while not as bad as some here is embarrassing to consider normal. Never saw a tranny that was so easily confused on what it was supposed to be doing. If they don;t have a better tranny when my lease is up I will be gone again. I am curious to see the 5-6 models Hyundai will release under the Genesis logo, maybe they will have a serious TLX competitor?
Old 01-08-2016, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
^ I am watching Hyundai as well
Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 PM

I'm actually leaning away from sedan and going crossover. Lexus NX200/300h, Audi Q5, BMW X4 or maybe a used X6 top the list. But here is the real message for Acura - if they'd have just taken care of me I'd would have most certainly bought an RDX without even cross shopping. I shopped Lexus, BMW and Audi before buying my TLX, and my brand experience is what pushed it over the top. Guess I'm done with that now.

As a side note I left another comment on their Facebook page a few days back. They actually said they had "looked at my file" and added my comment to the record. Yeah, whatever.

Last edited by 1Louder; 01-08-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
You know what, I am actually going to give Acura a call even if I don't own a TLX. I want them to know first hand that they lost a sale to Lexus because of the TLX issue. They need to understand that these issues are unacceptable and that I still own an Acura (G/F's ILX) and that this lease will be coming up and that they will likely not get my business unless they get their act together. This "it is normal" BS needs to stop and they need to look after their customer and get it right....I will tell them to come and read this forum and see how many people are annoyed and will tell them how poorly they have done on reliability ranking.

It will not do anything but at least I'll feel better knowing I made my voice heard, and will be my way of contributing to help all of you here having some transmission problems and/or poor customer service. I am an example of someone who left Acura for Lexus BECAUSE of this issue....and this issue only!
The following 4 users liked this post by weather:
mindanalyzer (01-11-2016), quantum7 (01-10-2016), rockyfeller (01-13-2016), Stew4HD (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

^ I have contacted ACR so many times. I have done so recently over their silly decisions regarding the RLX. I am biding my time and will definitely not buy another Acura. Once I lose confidence and/or feel like I was screwed over by a company, they will not get any more of my business.

Their repetitive use of "it is performing normally" did it for me.

It's good to at least give your opinion!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:42 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by mojo_79
I met with the District Server Manager to get a highway vibration problem resolved on this car and it was he who went above the dealership to get me approved for a new transmission with Acura. The dealer didn't want any part of this job. They told me that there was "nothing wrong" with the original one, it was "working as designed". They were wrong, it now shifts very smooth, 100% of the time.

My advice, try to reach out to your DSM, be polite and state your concerns. It probably helps that this is my 7th new Honda/Acura vehicle, including a 2015 Honda I'm currently leasing for my fiancé. He seemed to be aware of my purchase history without me mentioning it.
Replacing the transmission must be a pretty involved repair. I assume the engine needs to be dropped. Dealerships are counting on Acura to pay them to do this work, but it would not surprise me if the time that Acura allows for this job is less than the actual time (and cost) it takes for the dealers to make the repair. So it may not be in the dealerships financial interest to replace a transmission if they are loosing money on each repair. Just a speculation.... otherwise, why would a dealership NOT want to back their customers to get these swapped out? Especially if they get reimbursed by Acura and are out nothing.

When I owned a BMW 323 some years ago, this particular model had an issue (well many issues!) with the sunroof. I had to get mine replaced. The techs had done it so often that they did it much faster than BMW allowed. When I asked if my car was ready, the service rep said it was done, but they could not release it to me because they were waiting the full length of time allowed by BMW so they could maximize their reimbursement.

Dealerships make most of their money in the service department. Anytime there is something odd going on, follow the money. You may find the answer there.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:44 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Well, I got my car back. It's still driving "imperfectly". I guess I should drive it for a few more miles while it "learns" my driving habits. lol. Yeah, right - I'm sure that'll solve everything. I had the service rep try to tell me the whole "that's the way it is" b.s. I calmly walked away from my desk at work and into another area where I could tear into Acura a bit. Unfortunately I wasn't at home where I could unleash like I wanted to. I did enough that he passed me onto their service poobah, whatever his title was. I really couldn't care less. They apparently drove around with a higher-up with another glorious title who said it was "normal", so the best tech in all the known universe (the way he was built up) looked at it, changed some stuff, did this to that, that to this, etc. Long story short, they want high marks when the survey comes in. lol.

Does anybody really get these surveys in email or the mail? I don't seem to get those. I only get the people from Maryland or wherever that call me to ask about how the dealership was. Despite what the dealership wants, my answer will pretty much be "the dealership can't fix the crappy transmission Acura has put in the car, so I don't know how you want me to answer this". Last time on 2 different occasions, I told them that and the survey didn't even make it past question #1, and the 2nd occasion, I don't think they wanted to continue.

Please call me again, Acura. I'll let you know what kind of "thrill" it is.
I've gotten both. I already responded to the e-mailed survey. Then last week I get one in the mail. It is from a third party, not Acura directly.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
We actually got a very detailed survey recently on our new 16 RDX and my 15 TLX. Took probably 15-20 minutes as they asked very extensive questions about many aspects of the car. Clearly they are really digging now into trying to understand their consumer. There were numerous questions on exterior design especially the fascia. Numerous questions about the infotainment and interior as well. I recall some about the drive-train, but nothing detailed. Each section provided comments areas so I was very detailed about both cars fascias. The RDX while an improvement in the right direction the beak still needs to be toned down, the TLX I blasted for the beak, lack of real DRLs and a rather stubbed nose profile front. I also was very detailed about the tranny and infotainment, particularly AcuraLink and how bad that is. I also mentioned the poor choice in OEM tires especially for the SH-AWD which should have decent tires. Of course you never know what they do with these surveys and I have never been personally contacted for follow up even though I provide details and my info.
The following users liked this post:
9SpeedTran (01-11-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Replacing the transmission must be a pretty involved repair. I assume the engine needs to be dropped. Dealerships are counting on Acura to pay them to do this work, but it would not surprise me if the time that Acura allows for this job is less than the actual time (and cost) it takes for the dealers to make the repair. So it may not be in the dealerships financial interest to replace a transmission if they are loosing money on each repair. Just a speculation.... otherwise, why would a dealership NOT want to back their customers to get these swapped out? Especially if they get reimbursed by Acura and are out nothing.
I strongly suspect that any dealership has to provide some kind of proof or evidence that a warranty repair was required, and reimbursement is contingent on the proof being valid. Otherwise, dealerships would do needless repairs as a source of revenue. The problem with our transmissions is they operate and don't present a safety issue. Given it's a $3,000+ part, and likely that much again in labor, the dealership would need solid proof it was necessary. Because our issues are not obvious failures, they are going to ask permission to ensure its a reimbursable repair.

I strongly suspect the mothership has already sent out multiple memos instructing dealerships they are not authorized to replace these without permission.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
My understanding is that there are only 2 people in the entire US that have the authorization to replace a transmission at this point. Be it an 8 or 9sp.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Replacing the transmission must be a pretty involved repair. I assume the engine needs to be dropped. Dealerships are counting on Acura to pay them to do this work, but it would not surprise me if the time that Acura allows for this job is less than the actual time (and cost) it takes for the dealers to make the repair.
This is speculation on my part but it is likely that Acura pays the dealer at a rate lower than retail, so it is more profitable for the dealer to be doing customer billable work.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Making some progress on this issue with Acura...

First, consider increasing your argument power by driving a 2016 TLX. Acura let me take one for the day (2016 TLX-V6-FWD Tech). The rough shifting problem is gone. Fixed / Solved / Put a Bow on It. Which makes me think this is not a software problem, otherwise, Acura could just apply whatever software the 2016 models have to the 2015 versions, and the problem is solved for everyone. It must be a change to the physical parts themselves, so I would be very skeptical of things you are hearing about a software fix is being worked on, etc.

I still don't have any firm commitments on transmission replacement from Acura, but I'm fairly encouraged right now. Some suggestions: (1) complain on social media, wherever you can (2) cite to Acura / Acura Client Relations all the articles online from reputable car reviewers who call out the problem (spend an hour doing Google searches, or pulling articles from this forum -- and a big thanks to all those who contributed article links -- and force Acura to respond to / rebut the articles, which of course they can't do).

Regarding ACR's company line of "it works according to spec" or "it's functioning fine, compared to other 2015's", or "it's a unique transmission", ask (1) why is there a TSB for rough 2-3 shifts (TSB 15-040) if nothing needs fixing in this regard? and (2) why has the rough shifting problem been solved in the 2016 version (there's no arguing this), if there wasn't a problem to begin with? Don't be a jerk, but be firm and point out the logic flaws in their arguments.

If you need to get a service advisor to state the problem exists and put this on your maintenance write-up, be sure to use the Sport+ mode, esp. between gears 2 and 3. As has been discussed, this provides the most abrupt shifts of all the modes, I've found (paddle shift around the 3,000-3,500 RPM level from gears 2 to 3).

But seriously, go drive a 2016. It will actually stoke your tenacity fire to push for a solution because you'll see how much better it is than the 2015.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:53 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I just wonder if the smooth shifting in the 2016's actually lasts, or it degrades after awhile, too. My 2015 shifted perfectly at first, but it slowly "learned" to shift more harshly.

I wouldn't trust a day or two of good behavior to tell you that a 2016 has no problem.

1Louder (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
The 2016 TLX I drove had 3,500 miles on it (dealer loaner). I think that's probably enough miles to say that the learning transmission aspect would have messed things up by now if it were going to happen. But good point regardless.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by BluePlanet
The 2016 TLX I drove had 3,500 miles on it (dealer loaner). I think that's probably enough miles to say that the learning transmission aspect would have messed things up by now if it were going to happen. But good point regardless.
Maybe not. A dealer loaner has many different drivers, each with his or her own style of driving.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BluePlanet
There's no telling. The 2016 TLX loaner I had that drove perfectly had 2500 or so miles on it. I noticed my 2015's shifting issues within the first month or so, but I don't recall if it was from the very beginning or not. I haven't heard anyone complain about the shifting in a 2016 yet, though.

When I stated that the 2016 TLX drove perfectly when I got it as a loaner, he said there were changes made to it. What that was I didn't inquire, because I wasn't sure he knew what he was talking about, and to be honest, I don't know if any of these guys know or if anyone can believe half the stuff being spewed.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I just wonder if the smooth shifting in the 2016's actually lasts, or it degrades after awhile, too. My 2015 shifted perfectly at first, but it slowly "learned" to shift more harshly.

I wouldn't trust a day or two of good behavior to tell you that a 2016 has no problem.

Took my 2016 all over the place here (big province) in the past few weeks and up to 2,200 now. No issues AT ALL. My only gripe is that it shifts at 6k RPM in Sport mode, but will redline before shifting in Sport+ (or manually controlled Sport+). I wish it shifted at redline in Sport. The 2016 version also allows you to shift down 3 gears with the paddles while some guys have said you can't do that in the 2015 (can you?).
Old 01-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

When I owned a BMW 323 some years ago, this particular model had an issue (well many issues!) with the sunroof. I had to get mine replaced. The techs had done it so often that they did it much faster than BMW allowed. When I asked if my car was ready, the service rep said it was done, but they could not release it to me because they were waiting the full length of time allowed by BMW so they could maximize their reimbursement.

Dealerships make most of their money in the service department. Anytime there is something odd going on, follow the money. You may find the answer there.
My guess is that the dealership lost money on this particular job. The first transmission they installed had a "problem" so they ordered a second one and installed it. It took them exactly one month. Then, I had to bring my car back three times to fix a clunking noise that they introduced into the front suspension. All the while I was driving their loaner cars.

During this entire process my SA claimed that there was nothing wrong with the original transmission and that the new one was identical and wouldn't shift any differently. I think Acura is forcing the SA's to say this, not allowing them to admit that there is a problem.

My new transmission (like the 2016's) shifts flawlessly. I used to hate driving this car in stop and go traffic. Now, I don't even think about the transmission unless I'm admiring how smooth it shifts.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Got the usual call from the dealership asking how the car was driving after the attempted fix again last week. I told them the surge/bump was back and the sucking parachute effect sometimes made its appearance. The bump has now multiplied to a couple of bumps as it shifts now sometimes. Other times only one bump. Yet other times, I feel nothing. I had the service guy and some other guy call. The 2nd guy called and left a voicemail saying he was calling to see if the work was done to my satisfaction, but then added they've exhausted everything they could think of and there's nothing else they can do (keep in mind they're not talking to me - they're leaving a voicemail without me letting them know yet how the fix was behaving). Here's the clincher... his exact words. I still have it on voicemail :

"There's pretty much nothing else we can do at this point because it's Acura and not the dealership"

Say what? And here I was thinking I was taking my car to Acura. All this time I've been taking the car to "the dealership". Not Acura!! Guys, we should take our vehicles to Acura... we're idiots! No wonder this stuff never gets resolved!

In a nutshell, they're pretty much washing their hands of this situation and admitting this is a problem they cannot solve and possibly adding that it's because of corporate. Lovely. The guy that heads up service gave me client relations number and told me to call them. This was a week ago, but I thought I'd drive the car a week to see how it behaved. I'll try calling them tomorrow. I'm not really expecting anything but more runaround.

One thing I don't know if I mentioned is that the when I took it back to them this last time, the guy in charge of the service department (I guess) drove around with a district service manager apparently and they thought it drove "normally" after the repairs. Whether or not they did that, I don't know, but their definition of "normal" is misinformed. lol.

I honestly can't tell if all this stuff the dealership does is so they can get high scores on their surveys or what, but it's apparent now that they've given up and don't want to deal with it anymore.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Here's the clincher... his exact words. I still have it on voicemail :

"There's pretty much nothing else we can do at this point because it's Acura and not the dealership"

Say what? And here I was thinking I was taking my car to Acura. All this time I've been taking the car to "the dealership". Not Acura!! Guys, we should take our vehicles to Acura... we're idiots! No wonder this stuff never gets resolved!

In a nutshell, they're pretty much washing their hands of this situation and admitting this is a problem they cannot solve and possibly adding that it's because of corporate. Lovely. The guy that heads up service gave me client relations number and told me to call them. This was a week ago, but I thought I'd drive the car a week to see how it behaved. I'll try calling them tomorrow. I'm not really expecting anything but more runaround.

One thing I don't know if I mentioned is that the when I took it back to them this last time, the guy in charge of the service department (I guess) drove around with a district service manager apparently and they thought it drove "normally" after the repairs. Whether or not they did that, I don't know, but their definition of "normal" is misinformed. lol.

I honestly can't tell if all this stuff the dealership does is so they can get high scores on their surveys or what, but it's apparent now that they've given up and don't want to deal with it anymore.
Now you are where I was near the end of my rope. ACR was pointing at my service dept, my service dept was pointing to ACR... sigh
Old 01-13-2016, 08:07 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Transmission Being Replaced !!!!

Just got a call from the Dealer my transmission was approved by engineering to be replaced. The manager said they needed to wait for engineering and they admitted from the data logs the unit is faulty and needs to be replaced and also to keep the customer which is me satisfied. Car went in on December before Christmas. They admitted it takes a long time since it’s the first year for the car so things don’t happen overnight. The new unit should be the latest build and come from CT or Ohio.

It took a lot of pressuring and hounding to get this things changed, but the best thing to do is take the tech around for a drive and let him do data logging then complaint everyday about it.

After my lease is up this is definitely my last Acura I don’t ever want to go through this again.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Got the usual call from the dealership asking how the car was driving after the attempted fix again last week. I told them the surge/bump was back and the sucking parachute effect sometimes made its appearance. The bump has now multiplied to a couple of bumps as it shifts now sometimes. Other times only one bump. Yet other times, I feel nothing. I had the service guy and some other guy call. The 2nd guy called and left a voicemail saying he was calling to see if the work was done to my satisfaction, but then added they've exhausted everything they could think of and there's nothing else they can do (keep in mind they're not talking to me - they're leaving a voicemail without me letting them know yet how the fix was behaving). Here's the clincher... his exact words. I still have it on voicemail :

There is a business separation between Acura corporate and privately owned dealerships. They do operate as separate businesses. But you sound like at the same spot I was back in December - this fix requires a new transmission, and a new transmission requires approval from Acura. It's not a decision the dealership can make by themselves - at least for this issue.

Originally Posted by kuzdu
Just got a call from the Dealer my transmission was approved by engineering to be replaced. The manager said they needed to wait for engineering and they admitted from the data logs the unit is faulty and needs to be replaced and also to keep the customer which is me satisfied. Car went in on December before Christmas. They admitted it takes a long time since it’s the first year for the car so things don’t happen overnight. The new unit should be the latest build and come from CT or Ohio.

It took a lot of pressuring and hounding to get this things changed, but the best thing to do is take the tech around for a drive and let him do data logging then complaint everyday about it.

After my lease is up this is definitely my last Acura I don’t ever want to go through this again.
I wish I knew why you and others are generating data that shows "faulty" when others like myself and Rocketsfan are clearly getting the run around over what appears to be the same issue.

I'm going to send another message to ACR, just for fun if nothing else. See what they say.

Congratulations however!
Old 01-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Styl1n

Originally Posted by 1Louder
There is a business separation between Acura corporate and privately owned dealerships. They do operate as separate businesses. But you sound like at the same spot I was back in December - this fix requires a new transmission, and a new transmission requires approval from Acura. It's not a decision the dealership can make by themselves - at least for this issue.

I wish I knew why you and others are generating data that shows "faulty" when others like myself and Rocketsfan are clearly getting the run around over what appears to be the same issue.

I'm going to send another message to ACR, just for fun if nothing else. See what they say.

Congratulations however!
it took me a lot of arguing, emails and complaints. I went with the tech for a drive and showed him everything hard shifts, delays whatever you can think of plus my build was a 1/15 it was horrible . it took one month going back and forth and threats to leave i got 9 cars from this dealer and this will be my last for Acura. no one should go through this and be told how to drive the car. I have a light weight crank pulley to install as well so my car should be back next week and we will see how it runs.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Ahhh yes, the dealer saying it's and ACR saying it's the dealer. I started going down this road and quickly read the tea leaves.
I pursued it a little bit further with the dealer ("normal operation at this time" before I informed them about the existence of a TSB which didn't fix it anyway). It's not worth feeling like I'm on trial, guilty until proven innocent, when it comes to the burden of demonstrating something is not right when I take my car to the dealer. So I gave up because it's literally stressful and that's not something Acura nor my dealer should be proud of given my business and the business I've referred over the years.

Even though I posted it earlier I'll add to others' claims that the 2016 behaved perfectly: it did.

Even so, the 328i I drove a few weeks ago will probably be in my driveway by summertime when I can get out of the TLX. It will be the first non-Honda product in ~20 years. Are you listening, Acura?!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jeich182

Even so, the 328i I drove a few weeks ago will probably be in my driveway by summertime when I can get out of the TLX. It will be the first non-Honda product in ~20 years. Are you listening, Acura?!
They will only say "We will let ACR know of your displeasure"
Old 01-13-2016, 11:51 AM

it took me a lot of arguing, emails and complaints. I went with the tech for a drive and showed him everything hard shifts, delays whatever you can think of plus my build was a 1/15 it was horrible . it took one month going back and forth and threats to leave i got 9 cars from this dealer and this will be my last for Acura. no one should go through this and be told how to drive the car. I have a light weight crank pulley to install as well so my car should be back next week and we will see how it runs.
What's puzzling is I did all that too. I took the tech for a drive and he was in the middle of trying to posture "well it could be this or that" and then I shifted from 2-3. He literally stopped mid-sentence and said, "oh". Turned around and drove back. Took less than a minute. So I know I was able to present the problem clearly.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jeich182
The new Lexus I have my eye on will be my first non-Honda/Acura since 2002, that includes me and my wife. Six cars total. I second your "are you listening Acura" comment.
weather (01-16-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I dont enjoy reading this and truly feel your pain, because I went through something like this with my late 2013 RDX tech (mostly weird vibrations and jerky tranny). Having to go through such a painful process in this manner, with a new vehicle, is draining and frustrating and should not happen EVER.

I was played the 'normal operations' card so many times [by both dealerships and Acura corporate] that I knew there was no other way than to dump my vehicle asap and buy something else
Old 01-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Styl1n

What's puzzling is I did all that too. I took the tech for a drive and he was in the middle of trying to posture "well it could be this or that" and then I shifted from 2-3. He literally stopped mid-sentence and said, "oh". Turned around and drove back. Took less than a minute. So I know I was able to present the problem clearly.
Yeah I took a long test drive with the tech maybe 15 min and he logged a lot of data. I hammered them for a month everyday called managers, ACR and remember they sent me back home 3 times saying the car was normal until the forth time of me yelling to send this car back they listened. It's a huge hassle for everyone and it shouldn't be like this. They every admitted to first years are having major issues 9 and 8 speed they should of never sold the vehicle if it has issues. Hopefully next week I have my car back and this chapter will be done. I also told them I don't want this to be my 2002 TL that had 4 transmission replaced. I feel for everyone here who is fighting I say keep going at it until it's fixed. Screw them and the cover ups. I think BMW will be my next stop after my tsx lease is up then my tlx Has to go after
Old 01-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I took a long test drive with the tech maybe 15 min and he logged a lot of data. I hammered them for a month everyday called managers, ACR and remember they sent me back home 3 times saying the car was normal until the forth time of me yelling to send this car back they listened. It's a huge hassle for everyone and it shouldn't be like this. They every admitted to first years are having major issues 9 and 8 speed they should of never sold the vehicle if it has issues. Hopefully next week I have my car back and this chapter will be done. I also told them I don't want this to be my 2002 TL that had 4 transmission replaced. I feel for everyone here who is fighting I say keep going at it until it's fixed. Screw them and the cover ups. I think BMW will be my next stop after my tsx lease is up then my tlx Has to go after
Guys, Just want to know, I dont have very rough 2-3 shift but if I really concentrate on shifting I can feel 2-3 shift but its very low. But I have a major issue which is the surge in downshifting on sport+ mode. While coming to a gradual stop car surges for split second and moves faster even though I have pressed the brake pedal. I almost rear ended someone today. So do you guys experience the same behavior? what about the 2016? do you experience the same issue in 2016 (I mean the surge while downshifting).
Old 01-15-2016, 08:09 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by kchemist
Guys, Just want to know, I dont have very rough 2-3 shift but if I really concentrate on shifting I can feel 2-3 shift but its very low. But I have a major issue which is the surge in downshifting on sport+ mode. While coming to a gradual stop car surges for split second and moves faster even though I have pressed the brake pedal. I almost rear ended someone today. So do you guys experience the same behavior? what about the 2016? do you experience the same issue in 2016 (I mean the surge while downshifting).
Yes , I got that since day 1.Now after almost 10 months of ownership I got use to it and I'm not surprised anymore like at the beginning. Funny thing is that I feel that the transmission is more responsive (always on Sport+) since we get negative temperatures. Could be the fluid viscosity ? It could be wrong from factory ?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Before I chime in with our experience, our 2015 TLX 9AT with production date of 11/14 was recently in for service on 12/28/15. They also updated the software and did a relearn because of the 2-3 shift. As soon as we picked up the car, not even a block from the dealership, I called them to let them know the problem still persisted. Three weeks later, the 2-3 shift is somewhat better but it is still noticeable especially in Sport+ mode. Unacceptable for a $40k+ car.

The surging you mentioned was very noticeable prior to the update and relearn. It was to the point where I hoped it didn't downshift when slowing down. Eventually I figured out that if I just held the brake pedal down, the car would stop normally and the surge was less of a factor. In other words, do not rely on the downshifts to help with deceleration. Nevertheless, the surging was not a good feeling the first couple of times driving the car. Post-update and relearn, the surging on downshift is subdued but still present if you've previously experienced it and know the feeling.

In any case, this will be our last Honda/Acura. After owning twelve cars from the Honda/Acura brand, it's a shame to see the brand go downhill. Two of the twelve cars were AT and, what do you know? Both had AT issues (first was a '02 TL that was replaced under the recall). The AT has always been Honda's Achilles heel, but the lack of good faith to fix these issues is rather frustrating.

What's it going to take? Someone getting seriously injured or getting killed to get a recall campaign going?

Last edited by SDSilverM3; 01-15-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, Sport+ down shifting is just bad programming. It's interesting to note that if you let use the paddle shifters in Sport+ mode and come to a stop the transmission will downshift to first without all the insane engine braking jerks. Not sure who the brainy-ac was who designed the software for this tranny, but they should be run out of the industry.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rgpolson
Yes, Sport+ down shifting is just bad programming. It's interesting to note that if you let use the paddle shifters in Sport+ mode and come to a stop the transmission will downshift to first without all the insane engine braking jerks. Not sure who the brainy-ac was who designed the software for this tranny, but they should be run out of the industry.
What about 2016 does it also has the same issue
Old 01-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
The new Lexus I have my eye on will be my first non-Honda/Acura since 2002, that includes me and my wife. Six cars total. I second your "are you listening Acura" comment.
I had a Lexus ES350 as a rental the other day; I could not wait to get back into my TLX, slightly rough transmission and all.

Quick Reply: 9AT Hard Shift 1-2 and 2-3