When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:55 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I'm curious to see if Acura can equip the TLX with a SH-AWD hybrid manual.

I believe the CRZ is the only manual hybrid (save its FWD) on the market. A SH-AWD hybrid manual would be a technological leap forward and something of a class in itself.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I don't want to come across as negative, and I really hope I'm wrong, but I think we are in for disappointment. I don't think Acura will offer a TLX that would be considered a "sport sedan". I just feel the new TLX will be even more tamed than the current TL. Sure it'll have an sh-awd or hybrid system like the RLX, but I doubt a manual option will be available. I seriously doubt a performance oriented version like the 3G Type S will be available either. I think Acura lost it a long time ago. I've been a fan for awhile. I had an '04 RSX Type S, '07 Acura TL and now my 13' SH. It just seems to me that Acura is trying to produce bland luxury vehicles. Sure the sh-awd tl w/ the 6spd manual is fun to drive, but compared to other sport sedans such as the G37s, 335 it's very tame. Now the Q50 has a great design and still retains a lot of what made the G37 great, but they even dropped the manual option.

I do like my car a lot. For the price, it's a great car. The tech and power train option is better priced than many other cars. But at the end of the day, I think this is where any "sport featured" sedan from Acura ends.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
I'm curious to see if Acura can equip the TLX with a SH-AWD hybrid manual.

I believe the CRZ is the only manual hybrid (save its FWD) on the market. A SH-AWD hybrid manual would be a technological leap forward and something of a class in itself.
The CR-Z can do it because the IMA motor is 'essentially' the flywheel. Thus, the power flows directly through the motor making it relatively simple to incorporate the manual. FYI, its a fun car to drive and my wife is easily doing high 30's in the worst traffic in the nation.

The new system for the RLX will place the big motor in the transmission, somehow directly incorporating it with the DCT. I believe this would be incompatible with a manual. Also, if this gets the Accord system which is all but a lock, it'll have a CVT further distancing it from a manual. However, I agree 100%, if they could do it, it would be a huge leap forward.
The following users liked this post:
docboy (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw a RLX on the road yesterday..not impressed..very bland looking long sedan..an "old man" type of car...won't win people

The "new" TLX seems to be just a slight upgrade from the current TL..shape wise..

The new Q50 is catching my eye day by day, love that car so far
Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ You can't please everybody, but hopefully the TLX will please more people than the 4G TL did.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Well, I know a lot of us are anxious. I agree with an earlier post. Take off the camouflage let us judge at least the look of the car and list the specs. I have owned every generation of the TL and this is my first time participating on the zine with others speculating about the next gen TL(X). It seems that folks are more anxious about this than the previous gens or it me that feels that way? I owned 07 3G TLS and I swore I would never get the 4G because I hated the look of it. It grew on me and I have bought and retired an 09 SH-AWD and now have a lease the 13 SH-AWD. My wishes for the next Gen are small. SH-AWD is a deal breaker for me. If its not an option, I'm done! At least a 300 HP engine as well. I can't Imagine 300 horses on a FWD. I hate that we are losing the view of the tail pipes but I can live with that. If it is as small as the 3g it is also a deal breaker. I can go a little smaller but not as small as the 3g. I also hope they hold on to the DVD audio. Although, not a deal breaker but I have a way to burn DVD audio and I will miss the sound quality of the discs I have burned. I would also say the worst gen was the 2G 2002 type S. It looked nice but the ride was way to harsh and my lights in the center stack kept burning out so I didn't have a way to see some of the buttons at night. Oh and I had to get the transmission replaced. Its the one and only time I was stranded in a Honda/Acura.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
DVD-A is history, I hate it as I have several and my current M37 has DVD-A, not as good as ELS. I suspect I. 3 years or so the CD and internal HDD for music will likely be gone in cars.
As for size, go look at the new Accord, I expect the TLX will look smaller on the outside, but not feel much smaller on the inside. I unfortunately decided not to wait as my M37 lease is up next month and I did not want to go month to month as I would need tires so my new car arrives at the end of this month and I will continue to be an Acura fan and hope to come back in 2-3 years.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
^^

What did you get!!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ He won't tell us...its a surprise *lol* My money in an Audi....I am betting he got an Audi S5.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was at my local dealer today and they said the TLX would be released in Springtime 2014 as a 2015 model. Take it for what it's worth I guess..
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by weather
^^ He won't tell us...its a surprise *lol* My money in an Audi....I am betting he got an Audi S5.
Lol. My guess is an A6.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
My wishes for the next Gen are small. SH-AWD is a deal breaker for me. If its not an option, I'm done! At least a 300 HP engine as well. I can't Imagine 300 horses on a FWD. I hate that we are losing the view of the tail pipes but I can live with that. If it is as small as the 3g it is also a deal breaker. I can go a little smaller but not as small as the 3g. I also hope they hold on to the DVD audio. Although, not a deal breaker but I have a way to burn DVD audio and I will miss the sound quality of the discs I have burned. I would also say the worst gen was the 2G 2002 type S. It looked nice but the ride was way to harsh and my lights in the center stack kept burning out so I didn't have a way to see some of the buttons at night. Oh and I had to get the transmission replaced. Its the one and only time I was stranded in a Honda/Acura.
Think you might have some deal breakers in there. The new MDX is down to 290BHP from the 2013's 300BHP with the new smaller 3.5 engine. This would suggest the TLX will also drop some power. The new Accord has been downsized so it seems likely the TLX will be similarly downsized since the current pair are within about a inch & a half in their major dimensions.

Believe the DVD-A is history, also enjoyed a burned set in my 3G, but the TL sound systems have been very good regardless. Don't know what the sales numbers were but would be surprised if they dropped the AWD system when everybody else is adding them. Also think the hybrid & AWD will be a late arrival, based on the RLX rollout, & be geared toward economy not additional power.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So much info
Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
I will neither confirm or deny any rumors, but will say it is on a boat due to port next week and due to dealership last week of August. I will say it is totally out of my normal auto comfort zone, but not too far out.
I don't like telling because last time I told about a car I did't have (09 Genesis) when I went to pick up the car was damaged and I wound up actually in my 09 SH-AWD TL, looking back I was glad fate played that roll.

I am curious as to those guessing as to how you arrived at your guess. I will say there are plenty of hints in posts I made here in last 2 months.

I'm such a tease.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Porsche.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Drifting

I'm guessing German. I wouldn't say Porsche because of your sensibility and I'm also leaning towards Audi's although it could be a Merc, but you're young in my mind and at heart, so Merc's don't appeal to you haha.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I'm curious to see if Acura can equip the TLX with a SH-AWD hybrid manual
You're not alone. :-)

Many of us are right beside you thinking this would be the perfect car for us.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The new Accord has been downsized so it seems likely the TLX will be similarly downsized ....
I worry about that.

The front suspension on the new Accord is excellent, about as good as a McPherson suspension can be.

The fact remains, however, that in an ultimate performance scenario, the camber's not going to work right in a McPherson car.

They've learned a lot since 2002's roll out of their first McPherson struts (with that awful steering rack mounted too high, the strut straight up and down [!!] and the tie rod connected to the strut [!!]).

I've hear nothing but praise for the Accord's front suspension.

But...the fact remains that some TLX purchasers might expect something different, something theoretically superior when you want the camber to put more rubber on the pavement.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by wmahmud
Saw a RLX on the road yesterday..not impressed..very bland looking long sedan..an "old man" type of car...won't win people

The "new" TLX seems to be just a slight upgrade from the current TL..shape wise..

I agree--for all of the hoopla with the "new" RL I recently saw one on the road and it certainly does not stand out in any way whatsoever. Even worse, while I am not a huge fan of Consumer Reports when it comes to their car evaluations, in the latest issue they really savaged the new RL saying that for $20K less you can get any number of comparable vehicles. Considering how "long in the tooth" the 2nd gen RL had become, it was a shame that Acura did not do something more dramatic for the RLX.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Grandpa

I agree with you it's very interesting...but remember that there is a reason why Honda and Acura depreciation is so much better than Infiniti. :-)
Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I agree--for all of the hoopla with the "new" RL I recently saw one on the road and it certainly does not stand out in any way whatsoever.
I think the saving grace is supposed to be the 30 mpg, 350-400 HP performance version with Honda's first production automated manual.

I'm holding out for it, and hoping, but realize the hope may be in vain.

... it was a shame that Acura did not do something more dramatic for the RLX.
They tried dramatic in 2009, remember? And got totally destroyed?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

OK I'll give it up since a few people have messaged me directly, and the winner is...

2014 Audi A6 Prestige

I wanted back into some type of AWD and came close a few times to getting a 13 SH-AWD TL Advance, but could never get the deal I wanted. Also knew in 6 months when the TLX is out I would be kicking myself. Was considering another M37S with Tech, but they could never find me a car and honestly as much as I like my M37, the Q50 tech is more appealing, so when the M37 refreshes in 2-3 years I might be back. I do love the styling of my M37S.

At the time I ordered it I paid less than I could have gotten a RLX Advance for and without SH-AWD in the RLX, it was a no go for me. I did get the Driver Assistance option so I do get blind spot monitor, active lane assist and Adaptive Cruise. I opted to pass on B&O sound (not worth $6K) and the heads up and night vision options.

Last edited by KeithL; 08-08-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by KeithL
OK I'll give it up since a few people have messaged me directly, and the winner is...

2014 Audi A6 Prestige

I wanted back into some type of AWD and came close a few times to getting a 13 SH-AWD TL Advance, but could never get the deal I wanted. Also knew in 6 months when the TLX is out I would be kicking myself. Was considering another M37S with Tech, but they could never find me a car and honestly as much as I like my M37, the Q50 tech is more appealing, so when the M37 refreshes in 2-3 years I might be back. I do love the styling of my M37S.

At the time I ordered it I paid less than I could have gotten a RLX Advance for and without SH-AWD in the RLX, it was a no go for me. I did get the Driver Assistance option so I do get blind spot monitor, active lane assist and Adaptive Cruise. I opted to pass on B&O sound (not worth $6K) and the heads up and night vision options.
Ding ding ding!

2 colleagues of mine recently jumped ship into the new A6 as well; one from a GS. Compelling choice! Post pics and review when you get a chance. Did you decide to lease or buy the A6?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
very nice choice keith
Old 08-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks, I really wanted to come back to Acura. I figure I should try a German car at least once. I will post pics when it comes in and I get the tint and wheels done.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Ding ding ding!

2 colleagues of mine recently jumped ship into the new A6 as well; one from a GS. Compelling choice! Post pics and review when you get a chance. Did you decide to lease or buy the A6?
I am going to buy this time, for a few reasons. Leasing in GA is not great anymore since they changed the ad valorem taxes this year and I don't want to deal with the turn in process. Also finance rates are so damn good compared to least rates it is more economical over the long term for me to do the buy. I locked in 1.24% financing on a term of up to 72 months, so that is like free money. Most leases work out to rates in the 3-4% range, plus acquisition and turn in fees.

Besides if you have not driven the Audi 3.0 Supercharged cars I encourage you to try one, the torque is neck snapping. And the engine and 8SP AT are butter smooth.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
KeithL....Congrats!! That is going to be a sweet ride. I felt it would be an Audi and was debating between the sedan or coupe and felt you might go for the coupe but GREAT choice!! I am leaning toward Audi should the TLX be a disappointment so we'll stay in touch for sure

Docboy...You are the man!! Good insight my friend
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Barring a plethora of early issues in terms of reliability, the Q50 is looking like it will be my next car. I'm going to try and hold out a bit to see if they start dealing on them, first.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Given timing of RLX AWD system introduction, I highly doubt Acura would risk diluting its market segment differentiation by offering the same hybrid AWD system on the TLX.

This actually gives me hope the TLX will carry over both the mechanical SH AWD along with the 6MT option, and perhaps a stroked 3.7L version of the Earthdreams V6 in an S variant that meets or exceeds higher priced competition in the range of 330hp while getting better fuel economy to boot...or at least use a slightly less detuned variant of the RLX to maintain 305 hp while leaving the 310 hp bragging rights to the top of the line.

I recommend the 330 hp ED 3.7 variant available with MT only - no risk of dilution with the AT or paddle-shifted only RLX despite the bigger hp. ..to start; and, then after RLX sales flop continues, give up and offer the 330hp in the TLX AT as well.

Last edited by draph; 08-08-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Congrats on the new car, traitor....err...Keith. That's a nice car. Hope it works out well for you.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by draph
Given timing of RLX AWD system introduction, I highly doubt Acura would risk diluting its market segment differentiation by offering the same hybrid AWD system on the TLX.

This actually gives me hope the TLX will carry over both the mechanical SH AWD along with the 6MT option, and perhaps a stroked 3.7L version of the Earthdreams V6 in an S variant that meets or exceeds higher priced competition in the range of 330hp while getting better fuel economy to boot...or at least use a slightly less detuned variant of the RLX to maintain 305 hp while leaving the 310 hp bragging rights to the top of the line.

I recommend the 330 hp ED 3.7 variant available with MT only - no risk of dilution with the AT or paddle-shifted only RLX despite the bigger hp. ..to start; and, then after RLX sales flop continues, give up and offer the 330hp in the TLX AT as well.
I agree, I do not see SH-SH-AWD showing up in the TLX, I see a typcial I4 hybrid in the TLX. Honda is gun shy about V6 hybrids after the Accord mess.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Congrats on the new car, traitor....err...Keith. That's a nice car. Hope it works out well for you.
Thanks, I hope so as well. It was a long struggle on what to get next. I cross shopped numerous cars, Lexus GS350, A4/S4 A6, another M37S, 13 TL AWD Advance and on. Debated waiting on the TLX and the new CTS. Every car is a compromise so we'll see if the compromises I am making in the A6 will be acceptable. The biggest things I don't like about the A6 are the seats seems to not be as comfortable as my M, but that may just need time to get used to. Also I know people rave about Audi interiors, but honestly I feel many of the interior parts look and feel cheaper than my M37. I think Infiniti has nailed an upscale luxurious look and feel to the cabin in the M37. The A6 3.0 drive train is a beast so I am looking forward to that. I think Acura tech is better than Audi or Infiniti.
I really wanted to like the new GS350, but the disjointed flow form dash to center console and that stupid mouse controller turned me off big time. Also there were things in I wanted that you can't get int he F-Sport and the base GS has stupid wood steering wheel. And finally the GS does not have al the tech that the RLX, Audi or even an M37 can have.
I will post pics once I get it and even though I have not owned my TL in 3 years I still show up here as this is one of the best auto forums of any brand.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Thanks, I hope so as well. It was a long struggle on what to get next. I cross shopped numerous cars, Lexus GS350, A4/S4 A6, another M37S, 13 TL AWD Advance and on. Debated waiting on the TLX and the new CTS. Every car is a compromise so we'll see if the compromises I am making in the A6 will be acceptable. The biggest things I don't like about the A6 are the seats seems to not be as comfortable as my M, but that may just need time to get used to. Also I know people rave about Audi interiors, but honestly I feel many of the interior parts look and feel cheaper than my M37. I think Infiniti has nailed an upscale luxurious look and feel to the cabin in the M37. The A6 3.0 drive train is a beast so I am looking forward to that. I think Acura tech is better than Audi or Infiniti.
I really wanted to like the new GS350, but the disjointed flow form dash to center console and that stupid mouse controller turned me off big time. Also there were things in I wanted that you can't get int he F-Sport and the base GS has stupid wood steering wheel. And finally the GS does not have al the tech that the RLX, Audi or even an M37 can have.
I will post pics once I get it and even though I have not owned my TL in 3 years I still show up here as this is one of the best auto forums of any brand.
Congrats on the new ride and I think the new Audi's are great choices - my BIL just got a Q5 and its very impressive. We do look forward to hearing about your evaluation and ownership experience so keep us updated!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
It seems to me that a lot of Acura drivers choose Audi more so than other makes of cars when upgrading. I may be wrong but I've seen it quite a bit, especially lately. Personally, if I wanted to move up to the next tier and money were no object, I would buy an Audi S6, S7 or S8 in a heartbeat. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by a32tl
It seems to me that a lot of Acura drivers choose Audi more so than other makes of cars when upgrading. I may be wrong but I've seen it quite a bit, especially lately. Personally, if I wanted to move up to the next tier and money were no object, I would buy an Audi S6, S7 or S8 in a heartbeat. Congrats on the new ride.
It seems that some owners of the TL gravitate towards Audi's midsize A6 or S5 coupe as their next choice. I can see why, Acura doesn't have a coupe any more, and the current RLX FWD is not a compelling choice against the A6 Quattro.

I'm personally looking at the 911 or RS5 as my next choice...

I'm curious to see if Acura would offer a TLX coupe to compete against the S5. I've heard rumors of a "baby" NSX. Perhaps a SH-AWD TLX coupe 6MT would be a good fit?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
If I didn't get the 4G. The S5 was my next choice. I had to have an MT w/ AWD. I prefer the V8 S5s over the turbo 6s. I do hope they will offer a coupe w/ AWD fitted with an MT. That would be TITS!

PS. Get the RS5 docboy. That's a sweet looking car!
Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Also I know people rave about Audi interiors, but honestly I feel many of the interior parts look and feel cheaper than my M37. I think Infiniti has nailed an upscale luxurious look and feel to the cabin in the M37.
Good luck with the new car. I am with you on the interiors of the Audis. A few years ago, they were hands-down the nicest interiors in a mass-produced car. When I sat in some at the local auto show in January, I was shocked at how cheap-looking the interiors were, even the A8.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Congrats on the new car Keith, did you finance through penfed? Ever since you told me about them I've been spreading the word to friends, got 1.74% over 48 months on my TL. I think they were offering .74% on new cars not too long ago.

Got the gas credit card as well, I <3 it.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually locked in 1.24% for up to 72 months through USAA, PenFed was my number 2 choice. Also AAA is offering low rates right now.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks, I really wanted to come back to Acura. I figure I should try a German car at least once. I will post pics when it comes in and I get the tint and wheels done.
Congrats on the A6!!! One of my co-workers just picked up a 13 and it's beautiful. It makes the A4 look like a Big Wheel and it's hard to believe both cars have the same blood line.

If/When the TLX disappoints I believe an A6 will be on my list.

Quick Reply: When do you think the next gen TL (TLX) will be released?