have you seen a 09 TL on the road other than yours yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Nkgnito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a Polished Metal Metallic, FWD with 17" wheels parked at Hogie Hut.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Wild Child

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
See saw

I bought the first 4G sold in Texas and Louisiana on Oct 5th, and by november, the 1st 4G I'd seen on the road was in Los Angeles. White. Only
6k miles on my 4G now.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Only" 6k in 6 months, that's not an "only" statement, your going along nicely. I on the other hand ONLY have 2900 on my car since Nov.5th. Now that's an "only" statement. I'm saving it up for a few summer road trips where I can really get into it.

By the way, just saw a AWD WDP on 101 East near Tampa exit, looked sweet. No kit, no tint, but the mud flaps really help the look of the car IMO. I also couldn't see the gender driving the car.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Saw a Mayan Bronze (unknown interior) today on the way to work. The sightings are definitely becoming more frequent...
Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still haven't seen one in my little neck of the woods. I have received tons of compliments recently though. I think many more comments than the '04 I had before.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear

I haven't seen any in my travels in the Motown area. I have received numerous good comments on my car though. Everyone I have shown the car to really likes it.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Advanced

montreal and popping

bought mine in nov 08. Since then, saw just 1 in 5 months. This week went to dealer to look at how much it would cost me for new 19 rims. Guy said that alot were shipped out this week. Believe it or not, this week I saw 5 on the road.

I will miss be the only kid on the block....
Old 03-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

You finally feeling the weakness of the rims too huh Igowest? Check out the post from Rehab_pain, those iForged Rev's look pretty sweet, I can't wait to see them on deck! I sent the guys at iForged an email and they never responded? They might of just lost a sale? Having these stock 17's is like sportin' top siders while your wearing a tuxedo ain't it? Just saw a WDP AWD with Umber interior on the 101 FWY near Calabasas. Chris Dam, is that you dawg? If so congrats, and finally!!!

Last edited by bmode; 03-28-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
saw CBP still w/ dealer tags today - most my sightings seem to be Saturdays. Question do you flash you lights when you see another 4G?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Funny you ask that C? I try for some acknowledgement but usually don't get a response. When my windows is open, I usually put out my hand a wave kinda like motor cyclists do when they pass each other on the road, but in LA it's pretty hard to get love on these streets, people are mostly doing their own thing and don't think about other drivers that much, which is probably why we have so many accidents? It's also tough with the TSX's looking very similar to TL's from the front, as I've seen about six in the last three days.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by buckvegas
only seen two in the 5 months I have had my TL. 1 CBP, and the other was a WDP in my work parking lot. Found out who the owner was and the next time I saw him asked him about his TL-AWD. He said he loved it and proceeded to show me a cell phone pic of his car. The entire passenger side was smashed. An 86 year old man ran a red light and totaled his 4 week old TL. He said he is getting another WDP this week.
Well I just joined the San Diego 09 TL AWD+Tech owners! Got the Palladium with ebony, and love it so far. The car almost has TOO many buttons and gizmos. But I'm a geek, so it will be fun to customize everything. Handling is great, and it really sticks to the road.

Now I just need to get my windows tinted and I'll be set. I had my 99 TL for 10 years and loved it, so I look forward to another 8-10 years with this car. By then flying cars may be the norm. LOL
Old 04-03-2009, 02:04 AM
Intermediate

Cool Name that Bomb? Nuclear, A, Pipe, or?

OK, I have been a TL guy for ages. Have recommended it to friends, co-workers, my boss, etc. I am not a "hater". I own the 2005 model.

OK, this is still odd to me. I live in the Sacramento, CA metro area. For comparison, it’s the #20 media market in the United States.

I live in an upscale community full of "gates" and even Derek Lee of the Chicago Cubs lives less than 1 mile from me. House prices range from $400k at very low, $650k avg, to $3 million+ top-end. Just painting the picture for my area. Not Beverly Hills, but still upper-middle. I also commute 12 miles toward downtown each business day. So again, just painting the picture...

I have not ONCE, not ONCE, seen a 4g TL in person. This car must be in the toilet when it comes to sales. And I find that amazing because it used to be 180 degrees different (as we all know). It was almost too popular for me since I owned a 3g.

Let's get one thing straight. The back-end of this car is awful. If anyone doesn't think so, go to www.acura.com and look at the TL pics THEY even show you. Even the horizontal/profile shots are just "ok". This car looks the best from that front-end view or partial front/side (1/3) view.

Again, I am not a hater. I want this car to succeed. I just hope the designers get their arse in gear and plan an overhaul and soon.

Again, a 3 million person metro area and I have seen NONE!!!!.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:11 AM
Intermediate

I have seen NONE. Not even one in the Sacramento, CA metro area.

Way to screw a car up, Acura. I have seen tons of competitors (Caddy CTS', c300/c350, etc).
Old 04-03-2009, 02:11 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
4G TL styling is definitely a controversial topic. But, there just simply aren't many cars being bought at all, much less the 4G TL. I've only seen a handful on the road myself.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:16 AM
Intermediate

I agree with the part about car sales in general. They are ALL down. But I see all the competitors on the road. Tons of the new Caddi CTS, BMW 3 series, a few Audi A4's, Merc C300/C350.

But you cannot just say it's because car sales are down. I see the other competitors. JUST NONE OF THE 4Gs. Just weird to me, but actually, really not weird.

The car is over-priced a bit and the back end, well.... hmmm...

I just hope Acura cleans it up (price and back end).
Old 04-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The car has young person appeal, but it's target market is like 40, not to mention slow sales in general.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I see them all over the Portland area, so someone is buying them.

I suspect its all those Intel guys..
Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Intermediate

"young person appeal"? Ya really think so?

I have to disagree. It's not a $40k Camarro, Mustang, or Scion or something. The TSX maybe, but not the TL. I agree on the target of 35+, but....

It really has to be price and back end design. People cannot keep saying that car sales are in the toilet and that's why with this car. If that were the case, we wouldn't see any 2008/9 competitors.

Drive to your local mall, grocery store. See any new BMW new 3's? CTS'? C300s? OK then...
Old 04-03-2009, 02:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

But doesn't that feel good? Who wants to see a dozen of their own cars driving all around them! I love that I don't see mine every 5 minutes on the road like an Accord or BMW. It feels good be original and ahead of the pack.

Just saw a white stock AWD on PCH today by Sunset, looked sweet. The driver was male about 30'ish? I couldn't get close enough for the interior or acknowledgement, but it definitely needed splash guards!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Intermediate

Another random barometer I have noticed... How many on eBay motors? Say what you want about eBay, but you can find just about anything on that site. Millions and millions of users.

4G TL though? 1? None?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Drifting

See, no offense but, you are an older gentleman and by what you said I can tell you don't care for the design more or less. That's my point. Could just be our demographics, but scion is younger than I ment, and the mustang and camaro are old themes, reacurring. Young professionals happen to like the keen, edgy, techy design. If you finally see one driving, take notice to the presence it has over other cars on the road, very striking, in good opinion or bad. The car happens to be a huge value, by size, displacement, and features, it should be put up with the 5, E, and A6. MSRP is one thing, and what they are going for is another, can't really do that so much buying German. Yes, in most cases you can get a "watered down" Cts, 3, C, for the same or slighty less, and that's why they are selling better, but it's stature, not value. As you know Acura comes loaded, it's basically tech or not. Most read the menu right to left, if it's more expensive people should look to see if it's justified or not, but that doesn't happen. Eventually, the success of the 3G TL will have many return to upgrade, but with the things as they are, most people will hold out as long as they can.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:31 AM
10th Gear

I'm downhill from Folsom555, and I haven't seen one either. I've been thinking of buying one though. Honda has been good for us, so Acura should be even better. Btw, age has nothing to do with it, except that us older folks tend to have more money than younger folks. The only person I know who has a 3G is 58 years old, and he'd buy another TL in a heartbeat if his TL type S went south. In general, I believe the economy is a contributing factor. I haven't seen any new luxury vehicles lately other than lots of Genesis's.

Last edited by canddmeyer; 04-03-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 AM
10th Gear

Admittedly, the smiley faces front and back haven't helped sales, but the $2000 dealer cash available right now has softened the blow. Owners sure seem to be a happy bunch.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Folsom555
OK, I have been a TL guy for ages. Have recommended it to friends, co-workers, my boss, etc. I am not a "hater". I own the 2005 model.

OK, this is still odd to me. I live in the Sacramento, CA metro area. For comparison, it’s the #20 media market in the United States.

I live in an upscale community full of "gates" and even Derek Lee of the Chicago Cubs lives less than 1 mile from me. House prices range from $400k at very low, $650k avg, to $3 million+ top-end. Just painting the picture for my area. Not Beverly Hills, but still upper-middle. I also commute 12 miles toward downtown each business day. So again, just painting the picture...

I have not ONCE, not ONCE, seen a 4g TL in person. This car must be in the toilet when it comes to sales. And I find that amazing because it used to be 180 degrees different (as we all know). It was almost too popular for me since I owned a 3g.

Let's get one thing straight. The back-end of this car is awful. If anyone doesn't think so, go to www.acura.com and look at the TL pics THEY even show you. Even the horizontal/profile shots are just "ok". This car looks the best from that front-end view or partial front/side (1/3) view.

Again, I am not a hater. I want this car to succeed. I just hope the designers get their arse in gear and plan an overhaul and soon.

Again, a 3 million person metro area and I have seen NONE!!!!.
Not a fair statement. The car has only been out 6 months. The current G was out almost 2 years before I see them with any regularity, the new A4 is out longer and I see less of them than the 4G TL. In 6 months they have sold about 12K 4G TL NATION WIDE.They sold 2500 cars in March and with exception of one month have always outsold the Infiniti G Sedan. Even when I bougt my 04 TL it was a good year before I saw them regularly and they were selling far more of them back then than now.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
What will be interesting is to see how many V6 TSX they make in 2010 as that car may really eat into TL sales.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can't really compare BMW 3-series with the number of A4 & TL out there... the 3 series design looks essentially unchanged since 2007 (or arguably earlier to many!), so it's been "out there" a lot longer as a "new" design... the TL & A4 are both new since Fall'08, and here in Ventura County in SoCal, I see almost the same number of each on the roads... that is, VERY, VERY few... maybe about 2-3 per week, although that's increased a bit in the last month or so, as before that, I was only seeing 0-1 per week!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
What will be interesting is to see how many V6 TSX they make in 2010 as that car may really eat into TL sales.
I believe that the new TSX is intended to replace the TL so far as sales go. I think the new TL moved up market some? - and maybe Acura wants the TSX to take that position from the TL - while the TL moves up market some, yet has greater sales than the RL - Speaking of the RL - I actually saw a NEW RL in the WILD today (still w/ the new car tags) - I mean when was the last time you saw a new RL on the road?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

A mod will soon step in and say: STAY ON TOPIC Y'ALL!

Just saw another FWD CBP in Tarzana (LA, CA) this morning, tinted windows, vinyl overlays, painted grill and bumper, and sweet rims, very expensive sweet rims? Who's is it? I was right, if you do a few mods, the FWD can look sweet as the AWD. Nice ride who ever it was, I couldn't see the driver?

I guess I gotta get with Bat now for some overlays.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bmode
A mod will soon step in and say: STAY ON TOPIC Y'ALL!

Just saw another FWD CBP in Tarzana (LA, CA) this morning, tinted windows, vinyl overlays, painted grill and bumper, and sweet rims, very expensive sweet rims? Who's is it? I was right, if you do a few mods, the FWD can look sweet as the AWD. Nice ride who ever it was, I couldn't see the driver?

I guess I gotta get with Bat now for some overlays.
the bat overlays is another thread
Just saw a WDP fwd
Old 04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

LOL.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Not trying to be rude, but I don't know how you can say age has nothing to do with it, when you agree with my point of older people will generally have more money to buy it, then say you admit your dislike for the front and back look. It's not a knock on anyones age or taste, if anything I respect your opinion greater but, I am just saying that it's no secret older people are more set in their ways, and the 4G happens to be very different. Remember, the car has only been out a short while, so we are talking about immediate sales, so it is a factor. It's money to buy now vs need to get money to buy, for the most part, and the economy contributes to that even further.

Here in the Northeast, I can honestly say, is where the 3G TL has sold the most. Everyone and their mother has one, literally. I am on my 2nd 3G, so are many around here. We see a decent amount of 4G's also. So demographics is a huge contributer, expect to see it less in warmer weather climates. I think we will see more around here, once the weather breaks.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe the numbers indicate that the G is trailing the 4G TL in sales.

Hard facts. You can't argue with numbers.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Drifting

The TL is officially the middle child now. The tsx v6 will eat into it, and the price of the TL SH will have some actaully buying the RL instead. It's Acura marketing within the brand. Look at my previous posts and it will start to make sense. The cars are moving up segments, so until there is a new RL, it will be confusing.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
The TL is officially the middle child now. The tsx v6 will eat into it, and the price of the TL SH will have some actaully buying the RL instead. It's Acura marketing within the brand. Look at my previous posts and it will start to make sense. The cars are moving up segments, so until there is a new RL, it will be confusing.
The current RL is as dead as dead can be. They can't give those things away. They couldn't before the advent of the 4G TL and now it's just pathetic. In sedans I'd say that Acura is now a two car company. When the new RL comes out it should (and has to) move very significantly up-market to challenge the best of breed (think: 7 series, S class, LS, etc.) And it HAS to have a V-8 standard. I think a lot of people are going to be very [pleasantly] surprised by the new RL when it's introduced. Until then, the current iteration is nothing more than a door-stop on the showroom floor.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
Smile Weekend sightings

Picked up my White/Taupe/TL/Tech on 3/28.
Before that, I'd seen maybe 2 or 3 total
This past weekend saw a White/Parchment; Grigio/Black; Black/Parchment, & a few others, where I couldn't see the inside; (too far away).
Anyway, love mine!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Saw TL 09 on the road today

So today, i saw a TL 09 on the road while driving mine in MA.

IT was a FWD TL 09. I flickered my lights on/off 2-3 times, just to get him to notice/see if he'd maybe even chat for a few.

He then pulled over and I stopped to see if he'd be interested in a quick chat, but instead it was some 40-50 yr old guy that was apparently mad at me for flashing him, and hand gestured me to pass/move on.....

any thoughts on this?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:50 PM
wut.

What a douche.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by CG2PROJECT
What a douche.
Who, acura2009, or the 40-50 y/o?

Usually people take being "flashed at" as a negative.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Honestly :\ I just flickered my light on/off 2-3 times and then stopped, nothing more, just wanted to see if he'd take notice we were driving the same car .. . . .

Sigh
Old 04-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

That's just plain sad. Ya sure you weren't in LA? I don't flash anyone in LA for the sake of possibly getting shot. LOL. A while back there was a gang thing going on where they would shoot at people who flashed lights, granted this was 10 years ago, but it burned an impression on me.

Quick Reply: have you seen a 09 TL on the road other than yours yet?