2009 TL Pictures? ***NEW PICS ON PAGE 44***

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
The more I read about the comments on the grille, the more it makes me think if Acura wanted to make a statement with the grille, why not use the MDX grille (a grille that looks different, but you know the marketplace will accept it)...I for one prefer the "shield" look to the "beak" that adorns the TSX and TL. In addition, it creates more familiarity between the models...

One possible reason for not using the whole shield is cooling...so I extended the grille opening and opened up all of the lower duct in the front fascia. I did a quick (not perfect) PS job to my original 09 TL A-Spec concept...I think the MDX grille looks right at home on the TL...

It looks like a bad imitation of the M3. I am not feeling this one at all. I drove the 09 TSX yesterday. Tight, but no balls. Took the loaner back to the dealer, went to throw some gas in to it, couldn't find a release lever/button. The service tech said they turn it in to a push/release gas door. I though to myself, at $4+, why did they change now?
Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 AM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maverickinvestor
When I first saw the arch, it looked too exaggerated to me too.

But from the golf course pictures, the real TL does not seem to have as nearly as huge a bulge.

It looks like the Acura PR folks just airbrushed the bulge in there.

I guess this is one area where the golf course TL looks better than the TL from the press release.
agreed! I don't know what they were thinking. This car looks too Toyotaish to me.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it me or do you guys find it annoying that the little curve/bump on the fender. Instead of a clean straight line, it curves.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance

jk'ing....just my gettho 2 minute chop

and here's my review of the 4G TL pics so far:

I have a 08 RDX as a loaner today and I miss my touch screen nav!!! That fact alone would keep me from getting the 09 TL. I do not like the central button.

Even with the newer pictures coming out, I still do not "feel it" like I did when I first saw the 3rd gen. It is a very nice car, just not my taste. No manual, no touch screen and a really ugly front and rear end!

BTW, with gas at $4 a gallon and no sign of really going down, why is everyone so concerned with more HP. As HP increases fuel economy goes down! Yes it is more fun to drive, but it cost more in the long run. Just curious!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
DECEPTICON

But to many men, cars are a very emotional thing. Seeing this new TL, I'm not getting that "emotional" feeling about it.
I couldn't agree more...when I look at a sexy car it moves me like a hot chick...looking at the 4G TL, I don't even get a semi...
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave04TL
I cant believe that they even screwed up the rear door. Am I the only one that finds it odd that the chrome trim exceeds the door line such that they need to create a "false" window - almost looks like a glass to glass seam.
That design is actually borrowed from the 2nd generation TL.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by bf17738
Here's a question.... If we indeed are stuck with the hideous beak.... which is the car's ugliest fault... HOW soon if at all, can we get someone like ronjon or another company to make a replacement so all of us on this forum can change it out?

We ARE stuck with the Power Phlegm grille until the MMC in three years. The preproduction cars seen in the spyshots can't be produced without stampings already made. Too late to switch now!

Paging RonJon.......lots of business guaranteed!

I know Acura folks read the boards. I am POSITIVE that they are seeing the nearly universally negative feedback on the Power Phlegm grille (man, I should trademark that ). I am hopeful that they will strongly consider at least an alternate grille for those who want it. I keep saying there is precedent with the Pilot, in which there have always been two grille choices.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CL6
In its full glory:

Ever meet on of those girls with the big honking nose where the tip is just huge?

well, thats wat i see when i look at the TL grill.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Can you say UGLY!!! Thank god I bought my 3G TL last year!!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:58 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura will not sell alternate grilles because that's their corporate identity. I still laugh about an email response I got from Dick Colliver when I told him the dying products were the reason I left selling those cars... He basically was kind of an ass and said the new products coming out would speak for themselves and I should 'just wait.'

Ha ha I should have asked him how long I'd be waiting. Props to him for responding, but he was too cocky in how he said it.

Originally Posted by neuronbob

We ARE stuck with the Power Phlegm grille until the MMC in three years. The preproduction cars seen in the spyshots can't be produced without stampings already made. Too late to switch now!

Paging RonJon.......lots of business guaranteed!

I know Acura folks read the boards. I am POSITIVE that they are seeing the nearly universally negative feedback on the Power Phlegm grille (man, I should trademark that ). I am hopeful that they will strongly consider at least an alternate grille for those who want it. I keep saying there is precedent with the Pilot, in which there have always been two grille choices.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those wheels look pretty sick....can't wait till they start hitting the black market
Old 07-25-2008, 06:17 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Originally Posted by CL6
Acura will not sell alternate grilles because that's their corporate identity.....
True, until they change it again. The unfortunate part is after so many years of existence, Acura still hasn't been able to establish a brand identity.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Originally Posted by JJaber06
Those wheels look pretty sick....can't wait till they start hitting the black market
What do you mean??...those are regular 18" A-spec wheels if I am not mistaken.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
LOL great story, thanks for giving me a chuckle!

Even so, acura just can't leave this frontal fuglitude as their corporate identity. Unfortunately, it will be for at least three years until the MMC.

Originally Posted by CL6
Acura will not sell alternate grilles because that's their corporate identity. I still laugh about an email response I got from Dick Colliver when I told him the dying products were the reason I left selling those cars... He basically was kind of an ass and said the new products coming out would speak for themselves and I should 'just wait.'

Ha ha I should have asked him how long I'd be waiting. Props to him for responding, but he was too cocky in how he said it.
I remember the response to the 3G TL, after its appearance at the NYC Auto Show in 2003. It was NOT like this. There were many, many posts about preordering, many thumbsups, and lots of positive press on Acura. I was one of those who preordered and I owned one for three years. I still drool over the 3G TL when I see one, especially with the Type-S quad exhaust. It was universally accepted by the enthusiast community here initially with only a few exceptions. This car.....not so good.

Will we get used to it? I'm sure we will, but it'll take a lot longer than with the 3G.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Racer

what a beauty this is compares to the TL
Old 07-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think I may be okay with the new grille. However, if it completely flops in sales, maybe Acura will pull an Infiniti (M45) move and redesign it after like 1-2 years.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Guys Are Such Superficial Pigs !

Originally Posted by SBUtypeS
I couldn't agree more...when I look at a sexy car it moves me like a hot chick...looking at the 4G TL, I don't even get a semi...
Men are definitely visual creatures.

While on the point, I wonder if there is any significant differences between men and women on how the 4G's visuals appeal to them.

Maybe neuronbob can do another survey.

In my buying decision, I know the 4G's handling may finally be good enough to unseat BMW from it's throne. But I just couldn't stomach its looks, especially when I really love 3G's lines. That's why I decided to grab a 3G before their gone, even though the 3G's handling is not as good as the 4G's

I guess the 3G vs 4G comparison is somewhat analogous to how most guys would pick a poor but gorgeous girl over a rich (or smart) but ugly girl. Except I think in this case, the pretty girl is actually pretty well off and the rich girl is really quite ugly.

OK I admit I am a pig!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Huh?

Originally Posted by Colin
After the failure of the RDX turbo, I am confidant that you will never see a turbo under the hood of a TL.
Failure? I guess I don't frequent the RDX forum so I don't have a clue as to what you are referencing. Did the turbo's fail? Was the power inadequate? Did the fuel MPG suffer? You may want to elaborate for those of us who don't have a clue as to why the RDX turbo may have been considered a failure (or by whom)
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by levon1830
I think I may be okay with the new grille. However, if it completely flops in sales, maybe Acura will pull an Infiniti (M45) move and redesign it after like 1-2 years.
Wow, big difference. Infiniti planned the M45 redesign...they imported the Gloria (M45) from Japan with the intent to redesign it in two years. That produced the M35/45. Infiniti didn't "pull" anything.

Acura doesn't have the same plans, of course. I love the 3G (own an 06 AM TL), and have ever since the concept. This 4G model isn't giving me the same warm fuzzies. I'll wait until I see it in person, but I'll hold my judgement in place until then.

I've come from Infiniti to Acura, but don't like the styling direction of either companies' new sedans. I hate to say it, but what's next for me...Lexus IS??
Old 07-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Instructor

I guess I'm one of the few that actually like how the new 4G TL looks. I think what Acura is trying to do is totally seperate themselves from being to close to looking like a Honda. Much like how Lexus (to me) looks nothing to what Toyota has. I mean even though alot of the vehicles i.e. camry and Es350 share the same engine it's the exterior and interior amentities that seperate them. These past few generations Acura hasn't fully been upscale but rather "close" to being upscale. Acura IMO is now trying to fully compete with the luxury brands i.e. Lexus, BMW and Infiniti. I'm currently a 2006 Acura TSX owner and I definitely plan on looking into upgrading my car to this new TL when my term is up. Can't wait to see this thing lowered on some 19s or 20s...SICK
Old 07-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, what a crying shame. That grille is just plain ugly. Sure I had some reservations about the MDX when it had it's recent make over, but THIS particular grille on this car.......damn crying shame.

I'm gonna have to see either a white, black, or blue one with rims, suspension, and kit to make my final decision. Even then, I still don't think it can touch the 3G.

Yeah, Acura maybe making the move to be more luxurious, but IMO, that's what the RL is for. The TL should be specifically marketed to the sport/luxury market competing directly with the 3 Series bmw, low 5 Series models, G35's, mid-size sedan segment, etc.

Man am I glad I don't have to worry about another car payment now....unless I say hello to a new TL-S?! Nah, I think I'm done. 103k on the mileage, my baby's the daily beater. Time to start saving for a real sports car. Nissan GTR or old school muscle car?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:22 AM
aTLien

screw all these chops of the front, i can live with most of that, but the rear. . . no can do there
Old 07-26-2008, 02:12 PM
black on black on bla....

my lease is up in 2 months and acura has forced me to do the unthinkable...get the new maxima!!???

the success of the 3g had acura perfectly positioned to unleash a class-destroying car. instead they do this? no wonder they kept this such a secret. even without that plastic thing on the front the car is not as exciting or groundbreaking as the 3g.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:28 PM
luvs redheads!

to stop your eyes bleeding

Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by maverickinvestor
Men are definitely visual creatures.

While on the point, I wonder if there is any significant differences between men and women on how the 4G's visuals appeal to them.

Maybe neuronbob can do another survey.

In my buying decision, I know the 4G's handling may finally be good enough to unseat BMW from it's throne. But I just couldn't stomach its looks, especially when I really love 3G's lines. That's why I decided to grab a 3G before their gone, even though the 3G's handling is not as good as the 4G's

I guess the 3G vs 4G comparison is somewhat analogous to how most guys would pick a poor but gorgeous girl over a rich (or smart) but ugly girl. Except I think in this case, the pretty girl is actually pretty well off and the rich girl is really quite ugly.

OK I admit I am a pig!

I agree...lol
Old 07-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Originally Posted by ACURA TSX'D
I guess I'm one of the few that actually like how the new 4G TL looks. I think what Acura is trying to do is totally seperate themselves from being to close to looking like a Honda. Much like how Lexus (to me) looks nothing to what Toyota has. I mean even though alot of the vehicles i.e. camry and Es350 share the same engine it's the exterior and interior amentities that seperate them. These past few generations Acura hasn't fully been upscale but rather "close" to being upscale. Acura IMO is now trying to fully compete with the luxury brands i.e. Lexus, BMW and Infiniti. I'm currently a 2006 Acura TSX owner and I definitely plan on looking into upgrading my car to this new TL when my term is up. Can't wait to see this thing lowered on some 19s or 20s...SICK

I am with you man...I like the new TSX. Last week one of them parked next to my TL so I thought I should compare. IMO 09 TSX looks really hot with all the curves and that made my TL look outdated and old. I don't know, maybe because I have a old 04TL or i need some polish or something but overall the TSX looked as good as my TL or better.

I am pretty sure 4G TL will look hot when you see it in person...just wait and see...
Old 07-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by SelimUniNoLimit
I am with you man...I like the new TSX. Last week one of them parked next to my TL so I thought I should compare. IMO 09 TSX looks really hot with all the curves and that made my TL look outdated and old. I don't know, maybe because I have a old 04TL or i need some polish or something but overall the TSX looked as good as my TL or better.

I am pretty sure 4G TL will look hot when you see it in person...just wait and see...
I agree. Two days ago I have seen 2 new european Accords, one white with sport package and one black, and after a few hours a TSX 2009, red... somone imported it from the USA, really strange.
The Accord looks GREAT, is wider and sportier than before, but don't like the back. The TSX, in real life, look REALLY good, I liked it. The front grille was ok.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Looking for new mods

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^^No way. I will put my 07 CGP next to a new TSX any time. To me the new TSX looks comical with the new gril. As for the new TL.. I am so disapointed. But the new Maxima aint as hot eiter. These new curvy cars are killing me
Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah. I'm digging the nex TSX as well; especially with these high gas prices. If the 09 TL doesn't thrill me as my 04 did in 03, I think I will change brands & go with the 09 Audi A4. It's a spectacular looking vehicle.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:29 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
and they still cant match the front bumper
Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

thoughts

I own a 2004 TL and have been viewing this forum for some time to get the scoop on the next gen TL. This is actually my first post and I wanted to share my thoughts on the new TL. I had to take my current TL to an Acura dealer this week and got a chance to check out the new RL and TSX. I was very surprised that both looked much better in person. The TSX had overall nice styling. Meanwhile, the changes made to the RL were for the better. I actually thought the new grill philosophy looked much better on the RL than the TSX. I also noticed that the RL has a somewhat pointed back end though I could never really tell that in pictures. This gave me hope that the new TL will look better in person. I personally like the fact that the 09 TL appears to have a stronger stance and the front end is not as skinny as my current car. I'll have to wait and see how the grill looks in person. Anyway, just wanted to give my 2 cents. Hopefully we'll get more pictures soon.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
OK, I'm holding my breathe that the new TL will look better in person.........

.....starting.......

.......right......

NOW !!!!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Grill looks like shit, but those tail pipes are awesome
Old 07-27-2008, 04:21 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
OK, I'm holding my breathe that the new TL will look better in person.........

.....starting.......

.......right......

NOW !!!!
Someone call the ambulance. We have a dead man... posting.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:20 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Originally Posted by swift22
oh how i miss it so...
Old 07-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Racer

I didn't plan on staying with the Acura brand when I decide to replace my 05 Aspec, in the first place. The new TL and RL only reinforce my choice.

I like the new TSX, but the rest of their new models don't do anything for me. I also plan on moving up, not down, so the TSX is not an option.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:06 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dunno bout those unmasked shots....

Ok, move me back to the 'wait and see' category for now.

The p30 unmasked shot seem far too distorted. Some mentioned this earlier - after looking closely, I agree as well. I think the real thing is as shown on Acura's press shots - minus the lighting of course. Literally every spyshots on leftlanenews show a much closer resemblance to the press shots. Not one of them seem anything like the unmasked p30 photos.

The front 'shield' may not be that gigantimous afterall. The hood may not be as long and flat. The rear may not be so rounded - especially at the edges. Lastly, the color of the unmasked car has got to be the least appealing in the lineup (no offense).

I am still unimpressed with some of the design features, but will wait and see....
Old 07-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
this car is really different. Fist opinion is WTF, second is, it has to look better in person.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
I now have new respect to my 3rd Gen TL
Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Originally Posted by P1zzaman
I now have new respect to my 3rd Gen TL
Since 4g is different we should all be happy because we will still have that unique 3g TL.

I think the designer doesn't want to take way anything from current TL so 4g design is a good move for them, at the same time, we all know it should have been better with front grill.

Quick Reply: 2009 TL Pictures? ***NEW PICS ON PAGE 44***