2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally

I will be interesting to see it in fully uncamoed look, and how many "haters" there will be then
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Office Linebacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3G TL > 4G TL (aesthetically). Go PENS!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by havenlock
3G TL > 4G TL (aesthetically). Go PENS!
How can you say that without seeing it unmasked and IN PERSON???

People said it about the TSX, and now that we've seen it in person, its not bad at all, even nice. The TL will be the shyt, I'm calling it here first...and we will ALL want one...
Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Advanced

the back end is a complete nightmare. they basically chopped the ass off the new accord coupe, the sides from the lexus gs, and the front from god knows where and called it a "new design". i'm still damn happy i have a 3rd gen.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Instructor

I didn't like the TSX that much initially. I went to my Acura dealer today and sat in one and I've come away very impressed. I looked at the 08 and 09 TSX parked next to each other, I think the 09 is a very nice evolution of the design. I think the interior is much nicer and upscale looking in the 09.

I'm holding judgement on the 09 TL until I can see it in person .
Old 05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Busting some beats...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know.....might grow on us pretty quick.....we're a bunch of haters, lol.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
im really diggin the rear of the car, the sides look very plain but I'll wait to see that sides and front in person. From the looks of it, it will be one hell of a car. I personally do not like the 3rd gen TL. Its just not my preferance but when someone throws the ASPEC kit on one and drops it, the 3rd gen is a great lookin car and I think this will be the same for the 4th gen TL. I think it looks gr8 so far and will look even better in NBP. Im sure the interior will be better than the 3rd gens too which I dont particularly car for either. And im pretty sure it will have the power telescopic steering column. The MDX has it and its gr8. If the interior is anything like the MDX that thing will be a winner.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by L's TL
If the interior is anything like the MDX that thing will be a winner.

I agree...MDX interior is NICE Of course, that is compared to my 2000 TL
Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffNY
>>
Ed, what pompous snobby arrogant elitist comments. "Financially inferior"? "Exclusive people"? Is that why you buy an Acura? To be one of the "exclusive people"? Wow, get a hold of yourself man. I, for one, could care less about being one of the "exclusive people" or what people think of my income. But you want the truth? If I had more money than brains, and really wanted one, I could afford that AMG we talked about above. But that ain't what drives me or a lot of other people who buy a car or to be frivolous with money. And as someone who is the owner of a trucking company I can tell you first hand what the cost of fuel can do to a budget, especially when buying over 1200 gallons of diesel a week.
Lets take an example. Lets say "Joe" has a good job and makes a good income and in 2005 buys a TL. He budgets so much for his car, gas and maintenance. He burns 800 gallons a year at $1.50. $1200 a year. Now at $4.00 bucks a gallon he has to pay $3200 a year. Or $2000 a year more than he figured when he bought his car - that's $10,000 over 5 years (....for those of you challenged by doing multiplication). And, as I have pointed out, these are after-tax dollars Joe is using to buy gas with. So over 5 years he may have to earn an ADDITIONAL $15,000 for gas that he didn't expect. Granted, gas is just now getting to $4.00 bucks. But it has been steadily increasing since Joe bought his '05 TL, and if he keeps his TL a few more years the price will be even higher.
Ed, you made some valid points on HP. But going on in this last thread about the "financially inferior" and "exculsive people" was in bad taste. And something Acura, a car maker that has good taste, would probably frown upon. There are people here who are happy to have bought used TL's that fit their budgets. No need to insult them. Nor should they be made to feel "inferior" because they are not up your personal "standards".
Jeff
Hi Jeff, you have over-reacted. There was not a single bad taste in my postings.

Please this time re-read my earlier postings carefully. No where will you find in my postings that I ever mentioned "superior" or "inferior" people. If I did, it would truely be bad taste on my behalf. I only said "financially inferior" and "exclusive people" because this is in fact the truth existing in the free and capitalist nations. Uneven distribution of wealth is the unfortunately by-product of capitalism. Only hypocrites and deceitful politians will turn a blind eye towards this fact, or even altogther denies it's existence in their countries. On the other hand, only in genuine communist nations, in which everyone dreads the most, will almost-all comrades prossess the same financial level. Or unless you want to share your wealth with everyone so that your beneficiaries can all enjoy being "finanacially equal" with you !

As for "financially inferior", for simplicity sake let me define different groups of people in terms of only their financial capability. (Please note that no one group(s) is/are better, smarter, or "superior" than the other group(s).) For ease of understanding, I'll designate each group with a random alphabet.

Group B - people who can afford condo-priced, gas-guzzling exotic cars.
Group D - people who can afford big, expensive luxo cars and expensive pump gas.
Group E - people who can afford big, expensive luxo cars and only cheap pump gas.
Group F - people who can afford economy cars and expensive pump gas.
Group G - people who can afford economy cars and cheap gas.
Group H - people who can only afford public transportation.

Even doctors and lawyers may also be found in Groups F, G, and H, just because they are addicted to gambling, and/or mis-manage their assets, and/or got ripoff by their business partners, and/or got burnt by the stock market derivatives, etc., etc.

What I said earlier was that as the pump gas price went up, more and more people would get bumped from group E to group F or G, and some others from group F or G to group H. If these people cannot afford it, they can't afford it. It is that simple, unless you want to share your wealth with them. Meanwhile, those people in groups B and D continue to enjoy their big, expensive luxo cars, with skyrocketing gas price not even putting a dent in their driving habits. High gas price will hit those "financially inferior" people the most.

As for "exclusive people", these people buy 10mpg Maybach's and multi-million dollar homes. They receive no-wait-list 1st-rate medical treatments, they travel on private jets, they go to VIP lounges, they walk through VIP queues, they receive 1st-class services, etc. If these are not "exclusive people", I don't know what they are. They can even afford $50 per gallon gasoline, let alone $5 per gallon.

There is not a single hint of bad taste in "financially inferior" nor "exclusive people". These are pure facts. The only bad taste are those hyprocrites who enjoy living in the capitalist world but refuse to acknowledge their presence.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Racer

Ed, look, no need to explain all that. No one, including me, think you are a bad guy. We all write things the way we think we mean them and read things through our our eyes, sometimes we don't express ourselves as intended or read things thing the way the writer intended. I am cool with whatever you wrote and how you meant it.....lets get back to analyzing spy photos I too am curious now how the interior will look....

Jeff
Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Instructor

GR8 job bro

that job was high yield, nice pics, it seems to me the car will have lot of resemblance to the Advanced Sport Sedan concept, the front & rear ends really look like it, the side the least, overall i really think it will be a radical change, will it go down well?.

Originally Posted by diddy_nyc
Old 05-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I am pretty sure that is has been posted in this thread already but I am not going to read through 40+ pages to find it

If this is the new TL grill I am loving it!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's the RL that was introduced earlier this year. However, the TL grill is reported to be the same. I just hope they line up the line across th grill and light package. I don't think that break looks good on the new RL front
Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by rksokol
From what I can deduce from the recently posted photographs of the 4G TL:
  1. It has 4G side mirrors
  2. From the little buttons on the front doorhandles, the TL will have keyless entry and perhaps keyless ignition.
  3. The rear looks like it will very much mirror the 8G Accord. I hope the TL's tail lights will look better than the Accord's!
  4. The side looks rather vanilla to me; maybe it's the camo.
  5. The windows/upper cabin area doesn't look too different from 3G lines.
  6. The front looks inviting, but maybe that grill will scare me.
  7. I'm counting two sets of lights on the lower grill? Like one's a blinker, and the other's a foglight?
  8. The test vehicle's an RBP! F- yeah!
What is RBP?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
royal blue pearl
Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Pro

Any mention of cylinder deactivation on the 3.5L fwd and 3.7L awd TL like the 08 3.5L Accord has?
My neighbor has the 08 Accord V6 and is only getting 24-25ish highway. I hoping we aren't seeing similiar numbers on the new TL.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm those pics just scream GS series... T.T...thought it IS still pretty heavily masked so i'm not totally giving up hope yet....but it looks closer and closer to dropping FI instead of buying a 4G for me..
Old 05-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JCL622
hmm those pics just scream GS series... T.T...thought it IS still pretty heavily masked so i'm not totally giving up hope yet....but it looks closer and closer to dropping FI instead of buying a 4G for me..
I think the detailing that is hidden by the masking will make the TL look quite a bit different from the GS. There is a lot more going on in the rear than we can see. Also there is a groove running through the door handles just like the current gen - you can barely make it out from the up-close spy shots if you take a close look at the door masking.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope the 4G doesn't have the same problem as the 2G with the Xenon/HID thefts. I think that was fixed for the 3G.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

More pics
http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tl-future.html
Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
Any mention of cylinder deactivation on the 3.5L fwd and 3.7L awd TL like the 08 3.5L Accord has?
My neighbor has the 08 Accord V6 and is only getting 24-25ish highway. I hoping we aren't seeing similiar numbers on the new TL.

I think if the MDX doesn't have it on the 3.7, you are not going to see it on the TL, maybe the 3.5
Old 05-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7

Anway, the car looks huge!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by cai06

Anway, the car looks huge!

Yeah a little bit, I'm sure it has a huge price.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
This car is really starting to grow on me. I like the V-Shaped rear end, as it will probably set the standards for other car manufacturers. However, I think the rear exhaust looks out of character. It should be concealed within the structure of the car; similar the Lexus LS Series or even a double stacked in the center. That way it looks proportional. One other thing I noticed is that the side of the vehicle looks somehow flat/ slightly rounded at the bottom (similar to the maxima, lexus GS). They should have made given the car a sharper more angular bulge at on center sides to stay consistent with the vibe of the vehicle. Then, I would have put the creases within the sharp angular bulge out.

Damn... I should have became a car designer rather than a bloody architect.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I think that the 4G will be a decent evolution, looks wise. However, I don't know if it can top the current gen aesthetically. The 3gen will be a classic in the looks department like the Legen. The 4G will blow it away in amenities. 300hp AWD is more than enough.

Anyone who is screaming for more HP (350+) is out of touch. Gas prices are close to $4 for unleaded. Goldman Sach's is saying a barrel may eventually cost $200-->translation $8/gallon. Gas prices are going to be high for the long haul. I remember when the Type S (07-08) was vicously savaged by members on this board when it first came out. Some where saying it was Acura's downfall. Now it is lauded as the best TL ever made. If Acura can make the 4G a (relatively speaking) drivers car, added with lots of goodies, and okay looks it will be a smash.

Just look at the 5-series BMW. It's not exactly a looker.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by MiaQbn23
I hope the 4G doesn't have the same problem as the 2G with the Xenon/HID thefts. I think that was fixed for the 3G.
Any idea how Acura can prevent them from being stolen ?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Adding 8 bolts to each head light... and making you scrap all your knuckles if you don't remove them...
Old 05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
History repeats itself at times. I encourage you all to do the following:

1. Type tl.acurazine.com into your web browser.
2. Click on the "Browse the Forums" link.
3. Click on the "Third Generation TL (2004+)" link.
4. Scroll to nearly the bottom of the page. Under "Display Options" change the "From the" field to say "Beginning." Then click the "Show Threads" button.

Look at the oldest page of threads in the Third Generation TL forum (from year 2003), and you will see threads very similar to this one with people writing off Acura as making a big mistake with the styling of the new TL. Heck, over at vtec.net, someone said the '04 TL looks too much like a Dodge Stratus! And now, many of us (including myself every time I walk outside and look at my car) drool over the 3G TL.

All elements--regardless of how meaningless that one element can seem on its own--of a design work together to produce the final product that the designer(s) had in mind. As a building designer, I understand this and deal with it on a regular basis. This is precisely why I absolutely refuse to show my clients a design concepts until it is fully complete and ready for presentation.

I am not saying that I absolutely believe that the 4G TL is going to be a visual stunner like the 3G is. All I'm saying is it is best that we reserve our final opinion of the product until we see the entire thing with no camouflage to skew our judgement.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

^^(Off topic.) Yo is that you in your avatar, or is that Spragga Benz?!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ikko
hahahahahaha

Yo man, you say building designer. you an architect? hows the ARE exam in Florida?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by JAB00
I think that the 4G will be a decent evolution, looks wise. However, I don't know if it can top the current gen aesthetically. The 3gen will be a classic in the looks department like the Legen. The 4G will blow it away in amenities. 300hp AWD is more than enough.

Anyone who is screaming for more HP (350+) is out of touch. Gas prices are close to $4 for unleaded. Goldman Sach's is saying a barrel may eventually cost $200-->translation $8/gallon. Gas prices are going to be high for the long haul. I remember when the Type S (07-08) was vicously savaged by members on this board when it first came out. Some where saying it was Acura's downfall. Now it is lauded as the best TL ever made. If Acura can make the 4G a (relatively speaking) drivers car, added with lots of goodies, and okay looks it will be a smash.

Just look at the 5-series BMW. It's not exactly a looker.

I agree on both, tho as long as you can drive your type S TL without being heavy on the pedal its not to bad on gas, I've been using mid grade every other fill up and, its not really any less powerful on mid grade. As far as looks go I'd probably fall in love with the new one as I did this one but not sure if I wanta pay$4 or more a gallon in gas! I still have 9 or 10 months left on my lease so we'll have to see how prices are then.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Racer

I am in california and paying 4.17 for premium and now filling up for the RL costs $70.00.. TL is $60.00... but I am only getting 16mpg on the rl
Old 05-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ikko
That's lil 'ol me the avatar.

Originally Posted by diddy_nyc
hahahahahaha

Yo man, you say building designer. you an architect? hows the ARE exam in Florida?
Check your pm.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
I think if the MDX doesn't have it on the 3.7, you are not going to see it on the TL, maybe the 3.5
All the rumors and dealership inside info has been stating a 3.5L fwd and a 3.7L sh-awd version is coming out w/ no mention of a type S. I'm not just making this stuff up...maybe they are..who knows.

"In April, information leaked out of an Acura dealer meeting in New Orleans regarding the new TL. According to a source who attended the meeting, the 2009 Acura TL lineup will consist of two models: a base front-wheel drive car and an up-level all-wheel drive model. The front-driver will be powered by a 280 horsepower 3.5L V6 whereas the AWD model will receive its motivation from a 3.7L V6 producing 300 horsepower.

Despite boasting 300 horsepower and all-wheel drive, the range-topping model will not sport the Type-S nameplate. In fact, the source says that Acura will not offer a Type-S model, at least not in 2009. It remains unclear if the performance model will eventually join the lineup.

Acura has promised us a new TL by the end of the year so a Los Angeles Auto Show reveal seems likely."

Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 PM
6G TLX-S

As a general rule, Acura will release Type-S models during the mid-model-cycle makeover which is approx. 2 to 2.5 years after the initial launch of a (5-year) full model change cycle. This is to keep the sales momentum going when a model starts to age.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

You're telling me something I already know.
Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
All the rumors and dealership inside info has been stating a 3.5L fwd and a 3.7L sh-awd version is coming out w/ no mention of a type S. I'm not just making this stuff up...maybe they are..who knows.

"In April, information leaked out of an Acura dealer meeting in New Orleans regarding the new TL. According to a source who attended the meeting, the 2009 Acura TL lineup will consist of two models: a base front-wheel drive car and an up-level all-wheel drive model. The front-driver will be powered by a 280 horsepower 3.5L V6 whereas the AWD model will receive its motivation from a 3.7L V6 producing 300 horsepower.

Despite boasting 300 horsepower and all-wheel drive, the range-topping model will not sport the Type-S nameplate. In fact, the source says that Acura will not offer a Type-S model, at least not in 2009. It remains unclear if the performance model will eventually join the lineup.

Acura has promised us a new TL by the end of the year so a Los Angeles Auto Show reveal seems likely."

Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

It looks pretty athletic to me. The AWD version will definitely shake up the competition in it's class. If Acura can continue with it's outstanding interior ergonomics coupled with a new drive train it will be a winner.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-24-2008, 05:58 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00

It looks pretty athletic to me. The AWD version will definitely shake up the competition in it's class. If Acura can continue with it's outstanding interior ergonomics coupled with a new drive train it will be a winner.
I think that the only way they will really shake things up... is by offering a higher redline... under 7k ... 8k ftw
Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

2009 Release dates

My sales rep who I've dealt with in Canada (Toronto) sent me an email today saying the release dates for the new Acura TL are as follows:

Regular TL Nov 1st

SH-AWD Dec 1st.

These are updated release dates as they would of been released earlier.

Then again, this is for Canada...sometimes the U.S get the cars in the showroom first

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here