2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Um, considering that there's been nothing official on the next TL (and if there has been, I'd like to see it) this whole thread has been a collective gathering of hopes, dreams, wishful speculation and opinion on what the next TL needs to have/do and that involves comparing to what other vehicles in this category are doing. Consequently, that leads to the discussion of what other cars are in this category (3 series? G8? MKZ?) to even compare to.

So, if all that's "off topic" and there's no real info on the new car, what are we supposed to do in this thread?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my suggestion: Rename this the "2009 TL Pre-Release Thread". Then let the discussions wander a little as long as they are somewhat related to the topic at hand. Once we get something solid on the actual 2009 TL, create a new thread called the "2009 Release Thread". That way those who only want to know the real deal and not all the speculation can see the new thread when it appears and join in at that time to talk about what was learned.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ultimate_ed

So, if all that's "off topic" and there's no real info on the new car, what are we supposed to do in this thread?

how about stop posting till you hear something useful
Old 05-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
how about stop posting till you hear something useful
Old 05-06-2008, 12:35 PM
LyfeIs what you make it!

^^^x2
Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Disagree. What's the point of a forum if you don't have active discussions going on? What other thread on this forum is appropriate for discussing the pros and cons of different potential features on the 09? Clearly there are people who want to discuss these things. I say let 'em.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All of my posts are bout the 09 and what I think might be in it or what was reported would be in it. I have to agree with Xpiditor and them. Everytime I click on this thread I expect to see something about the 09. But a lot of it, if not most, has been about other cars.

Yeah, it's all speculation, and nothing new to talk about, so why not just close the thread until we have something definitive to add? That way, you can open it back up later and be more assured of having relative posts!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by redman042
Disagree. What's the point of a forum if you don't have active discussions going on? What other thread on this forum is appropriate for discussing the pros and cons of different potential features on the 09? Clearly there are people who want to discuss these things. I say let 'em.
There's a thread for the 4G TL in Car Talk, and since it's in Car Talk, getting off topic isn't frowned upon. In fact, practically every discussion that's gone on here has gone on there and then some.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
Here's my suggestion: Rename this the "2009 TL Pre-Release Thread". Then let the discussions wander a little as long as they are somewhat related to the topic at hand. Once we get something solid on the actual 2009 TL, create a new thread called the "2009 Release Thread". That way those who only want to know the real deal and not all the speculation can see the new thread when it appears and join in at that time to talk about what was learned.
Exactly my point! We have let the thread wander as long as it's somewhat realted to the 2009 TL series.

Post with pics of Suburbans compared to Escalades, discussions of what "luxury car" means, debates over torque steer, etc. already have multiple threads going and have nothing to do with the 4th Generation TL.

Other posts start out a bit fringey, but the poster will bring it around and tie it into the topic. That's a little more tolerable.

I have said it before but I will repeat it for those with short memories: The purpose of this thread is to provide information, pictures, links to news, informed rumors, spiced with a little hope and expectation. Many people check it frequently for updates only to have to wade through irrelevant crap about BMW's, Lexi, TSXs, Audis. There is another forum for that called Car Talk.

And if it isn't obvious: this is a pre-forum thread. Very soon, there will be a new forum for 4th Generation TL. In that forum, threads can split off in many directions. But, even then, discussions of TL vs. * will be shuttled over to Car Talk just as discussions of 3G TL vs. * are today.

At that time, this thread will be relocated into the new forum.

Now, are we all on the same page?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:48 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by havenlock
does it look kinda like this?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f9.../2009TL001.jpg

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the same pic. It's a photoshopped TSX.

I'm not sure if it's an edited photo or not. Same picture and article in my June C & D. States its built off of the Accord architecture - and it looks alot like one if you ask me... Also mentions sharing the 3.7L/300HP engine from an 09 RL. No mention of AWD - just FWD. Pricing: starting at $35K.

Sorry if a re-post of something within "the last 10 pages"...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Racer

New here...

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and the future owner of an 09 TSX, I say future because the car isn't built yet. I decided to go with the 09 TSX for a few reason. I am not a big fan of the front grill either but we ALL have to get used to it as I don't see them changing it for a 2+ years as it would really upset the buyer of this 'new' look for ACURA. I like the fact the car has more torque than my 2006 TSX and it is noticeable. I was going to wait for the 09 TL but decided not afterall. The TSX has grown enough in the right direction and should suffice inside. I was really sitting on the fence and wait for the new TL but a 'little bird' really helped me make my decision and NOT wait for the 09 Tl. I was debating getting an 08 as I really like this model style but its been out for a while now and although I still love it, I am not sure how I'll feel in a year or two from now. So with the 09 TSX, I take advantage of a new design, an amazing deal and get the AERO BODY KIT put on as well....I'll post pics when i have them...
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
^ congrats on the purchase, but again, off topic, and wrong forum.

I've mentioned this a couple times, but no one seems to have any views. Does anyone think there is a chance that any level of the TL will have a DSG/SMG-style automated manual as an option? With the lack of 6MT buyers, there is a good chance that it won't be around for the 4g TL. Opinions?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:49 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

Originally Posted by Fyre Man

I've mentioned this a couple times, but no one seems to have any views. Does anyone think there is a chance that any level of the TL will have a DSG/SMG-style automated manual as an option? With the lack of 6MT buyers, there is a good chance that it won't be around for the 4g TL. Opinions?
considering how hated the SMG transmission is by BMW drivers, i HIGHLY doubt Honda would ever equip Acura with such non-sense. after working at BMW, the novelty of the SMG wore off after i hit second gear in an M3. next to BMW's own i-drive, their SMG takes the cake as stupidest tech in a car IMO.

have had no experience with DSG though.

the 4G TL needs 300+ hp, a 6-speed manual transmission/6-speed automatic transmission, SH-AWD, a few nice techno goodies, great styling, no rattles, and most importantly, Nighthawk Black Pearl.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Racer

Fyre Man..thanks for the comments, I know I was in the wrong forum group but curious about all the discussion on the 09 TL....

sol_da_man....There will be an SH-AWD...great styling...humm...
Old 05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
With a grain of salt?

From a poster over at TOV.

saw the car....3.5 w/280hp and 3.7 w 305hp....no mention of "S" Type at all.....the front and rear of the car in no way resembles the present car or TSX...larger than the present TL and present Accord....it is as drastic to the persent TL as the present TL was to the '03 TL.....20G hard drive on board for personal music recording ...push button start....
the only part of the tsx grill is the very top thickpart....slight resemblence...beyond that not similar looking at all....but the front and rear of the 09 TL is very futuristic, almost "transformer" in its look....the car was shown in new orleans april 11th to acura dealer body....end of sept release
they only mentioned 3 models...3.5...3.5 sh-awd....3.7 sh-awd...and it appears the 3.7 is only .sh-awd and with only tech pkge
suffice it to say i appreciated the BOLD look and it is as different looking to the present car as ws the '04 to the '03...Acura will not be accused of styling the car bland as previous other intro's.....i like the back of the RL..the front is so so ..however again it looks better in person....at least its somewhat new and aggressive and people like something new....tsx is nice, wouldnt have minded it it being a bit more aggressive/different looking and more power of course...rear lights on the '09 TL are a cross between civic 2 dr and camry....bold...tilted a bit down toward center...red lenses top and bottom ...clear back up in the middle but taper extensively around the side almost to the back of the c piller..the car looks sleek from the side yet agressive, angular from front and back
Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmmmm....interesting...we'll find out I guess. Everyone that has seen it has been saying the same thing, so maybe they did create another timeless design like they did with the 3G TL. When I park my car next to the G35/IS, the TL still looks more modern than both of em'
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM
'07 TL Type-S 5A/T

Originally Posted by Fyre Man

Same here...my posts were never answered...completely ignored, ah! I guess people are either pro M/T or strictly A/T. I don't know but I'm seeing a growing trend of manufacturers adopting the dual-clutch tranny. I mean, you can shift faster than any pro manual driver can, and shave off a few miliseconds!! The new Evo Lancer has it; the new M3 has it (which BMW built from scratch); the Nissan Skyline GT-R has it as the only option; and almost all Audi's are kicking @$$ with their new S-Tronic (formerly DSG) trannies!

I've read from a site somewhere (google'd it) that dual-clutch is primarily compatible with front-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicles...therefore, Audi being either FW or AW (Quattro/4motion) just like Acura's lineup means there's a slight possibility the TL might get it... Then again, TSX and RL kept the same tranny so I don't know... The Lexus IS-F did not adopt the dual-clutch; however, given that the only option is a true auto-shifting tranny with 8 gears should be some indication of the directional path the automakers are headed as each car manufacturer have some influence over the other...
Old 05-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Racer

dom...I think there is some truth to your last post. The car is drastically different but not 100% if it will be as well received as the previous generation was when it was released in 2004. It will be interesting thats for sure!! Just odd how the Acura released so many new models in such a short span and not allowing more overlap and allow the new direction of Acura to "grow" on people. It was a bold move thats for sure because if everyone hates the new look, this could have major impact on the reputation of the brand....I think they'll be fine but it is risky.
I must say I think they pushed the envelop with the TL...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Intermediate

Alright, we can take it outside now. Here's a thread where we can carry on with the speculation and hopefully leave this one for real information.

2009 TL Specualtion Thread

Come one in.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Office Linebacker

Originally Posted by dom
With a grain of salt?

Do you have the TOV link?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Ak Ting Up

2009 Acura TL PIC ?

Is the pic on page 44 of the June 08 Car and Driver the 2009 Acura TL?
It looks like a TSX but bigger.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
^^

Go back 2 or 3 pages in this thread - it been sliced, diced, disected, inspected, rejected, autopsied and bagged - it's dead.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
^^^ Bearcat lol, but you know, it will be revived with a defibrillator....because no one bothers to read before they post...but I don't blame them...this thread is HUGE.

But back to 09 TL....no matter how ugly it looks (or will look), consumers will jump on it because it's new and trendy. I just hope that my 08 TL-S will continue to amaze me.

I do want the USB integration from the 4G, no more burning disks....no ipod...just plug in the usb flash, and you are g00d. Also ventilated seats wouldn't hurt.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
What ever the driving dynamics shakes out to be it will be decent. I doubt it will be an industry leader but it'll be at least middle of the pack to the upper 1/3.

Where the car will shine is with the amenities. It will have an upgraded nav with integrated traffic. The audio will have to be as good or even better than the 09 TSX tech package, which reportedly is amazing with its ELS 450watts system. iPod integration will be there. Likely also a hard drive with USB connection.

If the 09 TSX is any indication I like where Acura is going. It's moving more upscale. Acura probably cannot beat BMW or Infiniti at pure driving dynamics but if it's upscale enough with decent driving dynamics it will be a respectable force in it's segment. The main reason I love Acura is that it's rock solid in reliability and an overall fine automobile.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
08' WDP Type S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

STILL no pics? wow.

Glad I bought my S when I did. I LOVE this car.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
What ever the driving dynamics shakes out to be it will be decent. I doubt it will be an industry leader but it'll be at least middle of the pack to the upper 1/3.

Where the car will shine is with the amenities. It will have an upgraded nav with integrated traffic. The audio will have to be as good or even better than the 09 TSX tech package, which reportedly is amazing with its ELS 450watts system. iPod integration will be there. Likely also a hard drive with USB connection.

If the 09 TSX is any indication I like where Acura is going. It's moving more upscale. Acura probably cannot beat BMW or Infiniti at pure driving dynamics but if it's upscale enough with decent driving dynamics it will be a respectable force in it's segment. The main reason I love Acura is that it's rock solid in reliability and an overall fine automobile.
i dont think acura should really worry much about their audio system (hardware). as long as they have the right software and headunit powering the audio system, consumers can easily install an aftermarket audio system for a thousand dollars or even less that would be better than any stock system. so i would probably advise acura to focus on more important things than how many speakers or how powerful should the speakers be.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Racer

All I can say is that I am expecting current TL owners to be shocked when they see the 09 TL....it is pretty radical. In my opinion, its more drastic than the change the TSX underwent...especially the exterior
Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by 09TSX
All I can say is that I am expecting current TL owners to be shocked when they see the 09 TL....it is pretty radical. In my opinion, its more drastic than the change the TSX underwent...especially the exterior
"Shocked" in a good way?

Or "shocked" in an, "OMFG, that is one ugly Fricking car" way?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Racer

Bearcat....Well, taste are so subjective but I ADORE the current the TL and cannot say the same about this model. It is pretty hard to improve on this current TL and maybe thats why. I know I wasn't a big fan of the grill of the TSX when it came out but can live with it and overall, I think the 09 is a step in the right direction. I think most people will see that the 09 TL will not be big much bigger...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Cruisin'

I just got my June issue of Car and Driver in the mail today... Front cover says, "24 Cars Worth Waiting For"... So, I'm hoping that one of those 24 will be the 2009 TL, and sure enough, here's what I found on page 44:

Hmmm... That looks familiar... I'm thinking that Car and Driver might've intercepted a TSX Type S, and misinterpreted it for the new TL...

Then, I found a picture of it's "snout" from HERE and compared it to Car and Driver's rendition of the 09 TL...

So, is it just me or did Acura just hire designers from Saturn and Mazda? I present to you the Saturn TSX 6 Type S...

Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Cruisin'

Nice... Do you even read this thread or just start posting things randomly??

The latter...

Hmmmm... I suppose you should've just looked back a few pages to see that this is old news.

Right...
Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by clipari
Nice... Do you even read this thread or just start posting things randomly??

The latter...

Hmmmm... I suppose you should've just looked back a few pages to see that this is old news.

Right...

You kicked your own ass. Nice Touch.

For redemption, here is the actual, authentic Acura Promotional Pic C&D hacked:

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/743/photos/16909
Old 05-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
clipari

You wasted a lot of your own time buddy.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Racer

the pics above are not the TL...I saw the pics and it is not close to what the TL looks like.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Through Tamburello.......

Originally Posted by clipari
I just got my June issue of Car and Driver in the mail today... Front cover says, "24 Cars Worth Waiting For"... So, I'm hoping that one of those 24 will be the 2009 TL, and sure enough, here's what I found on page 44:

Hmmm... That looks familiar... I'm thinking that Car and Driver might've intercepted a TSX Type S, and misinterpreted it for the new TL...

Then, I found a picture of it's "snout" from HERE and compared it to Car and Driver's rendition of the 09 TL...

So, is it just me or did Acura just hire designers from Saturn and Mazda? I present to you the Saturn TSX 6 Type S...

Actually, I understand the Aura was benchmarked against TL by GM, which may explain the similarities in styling.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Hey Bro did you quote someone else or did you see the TL yourself??, if you did botton line does it look better that BMW3, AUDI A4,A6?? or no.

Originally Posted by dom
With a grain of salt?

Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I'm almost 99.9% positive dom meant it was a quote and he did not see it himself.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by parabolica
Actually, I understand the Aura was benchmarked against TL by GM, which may explain the similarities in styling.
Did you really need to quote that entire post?

Originally Posted by ggesq
I'm almost 99.9% positive dom meant it was a quote and he did not see it himself.
What gave it away, the fact that it was in quote boxes? Or maybe the fact that he prefaced it with "From a poster over at TOV"? I know, I know, you were just answering the (pointless) question...don't mind me...
Old 05-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Racer

prashants17.....I have actually seen it. In my opinion, from the pics, i wouldn't say its nicer than the A4(6). As far as BMW, I find their design a bit bland and feel you need to spend too much to get the luxury feel (leatherette seats sucks). I was debating to hold off on the TSX to see the TL because I like the design of the current TL over the TSX but after seeing the pics, I went with the TSX afterall.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog

What gave it away, the fact that it was in quote boxes? Or maybe the fact that he prefaced it with "From a poster over at TOV"? I know, I know, you were just answering the (pointless) question...don't mind me...
Yeah, I know it was one of those answers but I wanted to get in before prashant got and

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here